"I feel the improvements and am definitely a better batsman than before" : Asif Ali

What an innings today.

Every batsmen has struglled against rashid kham.

But asif ali showed whose the boss.

I wish he could perform like that in national team.

But after the way he bottled his chance in the recent SA and zombabwe series, dont see him making a come back again

What an innings today.

Every batsmen has struglled against rashid kham.

But asif ali showed whose the boss.

I wish he could perform like that in national team.

But after the way he bottled his chance in the recent SA and zombabwe series, dont see him making a come back again
He is just not cut for international cricket. Some humans just dont have the temperament to handle certain pressures.

I would be very upset if he is given another chance.

Form is temporary, class is permanent as Asif Ali proved today

Seriously.. Its a one off day for Asif ali to go at some bowlers...

Nope. Its not a one off.

Alot of you people often end up believing that psl and international crixket are same.

Asif ali is a beast in domestic cricket. He often produxes suxh gem of innings in domestic crixket

43 (14) - heck of an innings but should have scored more vs PZ in Match 26

Highlights of Asif's blistering cameo:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 55.000%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/ey5shp" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Hes a slogger that isnt really cut out for international cricket. Maybe if Pakistan had a couple of power hitters that could lay a solid and quick platform then he could come in and make a big score even bigger. The limitations in the Pakistan line up coupled with his own lack of ability make his selection unworkable.

That was actually a master stroke to send him in at 3 today. He will be the difference I recon!

He was never good enough to begin with.He has played 27 innings in t20is and he averages 16 with strike rate of 123.Why can't people see he is not cut for international cricket.He is too limited in his skillset.I hope I never see him again in international cricket.

Funny how certain posters still believe Asif Ali can be a thing for Pakistan. He has played innings like these before. They were the reason he got selected in the first place.

But I'm ready to bet my house on him being as big of a failure for Pakistan if (God forbid) he is selected again.

There’s a curse put on us. We have power hitters like Asif Ali, but they are so inconsistent. And when they do perform, they look so freakin’ good. We have players who lack in power hitting, but their consistency gets them into the Pakistan team.

Archer.jpg

Asif has faced about 40 balls less than Rutherford and 90 balls less than Sharjeel.

Like Iftikhar - failure when it matters most!

Like Iftikhar - failure when it matters most!

His dismissal in Eliminator 2

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/rm3v9g" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

In a recent interview:

“If you trust someone then give him a proper chance, as far as my batting goes, other than Islamabad United, nobody has trusted or backed my batting. Some people think I’m a batter for just four overs. For them my message is, I am not a four-over batter. When I get an opportunity, like I did today, wherever, I will prove it"

In a recent interview:

“If you trust someone then give him a proper chance, as far as my batting goes, other than Islamabad United, nobody has trusted or backed my batting. Some people think I’m a batter for just four overs. For them my message is, I am not a four-over batter. When I get an opportunity, like I did today, wherever, I will prove it"

For God sake 🙏 enough of this tullabaaz .
He and all his fraud gang can keep playing mickey league's.

One well directed bouncer and he is a walking wicket we saw the same problem in all his 49 matches or so as he boast about in one his interview (that if he played 49 matches then it's because of his talunt)
I have no idea why PSL bowlers fed him with length deliveries even in his good knocks in this PSL his dismissals are there to see it for everyone.
One good bouncer then tata byebye with bat in his underarms .
He want's us to feel pity for him still.
That's how he got all his chances to begin with.

For God sake &#55357;&#56911; enough of this tullabaaz .

One well directed bouncer and he is a walking wicket we saw the same problem in all his 49 matches or so as he boast about in one his interview (that if he played 49 matches then it's because of his talunt)
I have no idea why PSL bowlers fed him with length deliveries even in his good knocks in this PSL his dismissals are there to see it for everyone.

Agreed. Even when he scored good runs recently it seemed like the bowlers were bowling right in his slot. I don't think it was deliberate, probably just incompetence.

For God sake 🙏 enough of this tullabaaz .

Couldn’t agree more, he is a walking wicket to short balls

Asif Ali scoring 67 (34) in KPL today for Kotli Lions vs Muzaffarabad Tigers

Asif Ali scoring 67 (34) in KPL today for Kotli Lions vs Muzaffarabad Tigers

Seems immediate effect!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Asif Ali has signed for St Kitts and Nevis Patriots for this season's Caribbean Premier League tournament <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/cpl21?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#cpl21</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1425714294491131907?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 12, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Asif Ali's last 13 T20I scores:<br><br>1, 5, 7, 4, 11, 1, 29, 6, 3, 25, 2, 13, 2*<br><br>Total Runs - 109<br>Strike-rate - 99.09<br>Average - 9.08<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/T20WorldCup21?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#T20WorldCup21</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1434926444770123784?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 6, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Out of his 27 T20I innings - 15 times he has made single digit scores.

Horrendous stats yet he's in the T20 World Cup squad.

Out of his 27 T20I innings - 15 times he has made single digit scores.

Horrendous stats yet he's in the T20 World Cup squad.

I’d love to know what’s going through the minds of Fakhar, Sharjeel, Malik, Haider and Ifthikar when they see a guy like Asif Ali getting picked ahead of them.

He can’t bat and he can’t catch, I would love to hear Babar’s opinion on his selection too.

43* off just 20 balls for Asif Ali in Northern's win against Balochistan in the National T20 Cup

So with some average performances, Asif Ali still keeps his place in the T20 squad for the WC

Clearly those in the know see something in him. Despite all his failures and rubbish stats we can't get rid.

I think there's a fair few players who should have been picked ahead of him.

Asif Ali has the most strong parchi in Pakistan; that even Misbah-YesMan-UlHaq cat get

Lucky to be in the squad I reckon.

Not done much so far in Pakistan colours.

Solid innings today. He is a big hitter. Most important thing is consistency and strike rotation. I hope he keeps getting better.

Asif Ali has the most strong parchi in Pakistan; that even Misbah-YesMan-UlHaq can't get

And here you go. First rizwan and now asif ali won us game. But you cannot reply to any thread

His personal tragedies aside, the reality is that he is not good enough for international cricket. We have seen enough of him.

Low quality leagues like the T10, PSL etc. are his standard.

Anyone with such pathetic and embarrassing record in FC and LA cannot be a quality batsman especially at his age.

He is officially 29 but in reality he is 32-33. Even if we assume that he is 29, it is still far too late for him.

Pakistan would be better off investing in a dozen other batsmen.

It is a bad call to pick him for the South African series. They have a very weak bowling attack and if he can fluke a few runs he will cement his place and it will cost Pakistan in the WT20.

M. Wasim continues to make average calls and show lack of vision. Too many colorful charts and graphs and very little substance.

One of the greatest posters on this forum

Everything you have said has turned out to be incorrect

After those 2 sixes off southeee needed to keep a calm head and almost lost it. it was like watch afridi wafting wildly. Yes he won us game but needs to use his brains a bit more.

Asif Ali 27* off 12 balls on a slow wicket where every batsman struggled to get going at this rate.

Surely it was a blinder of a knock in a world T20 match. Hopefully he can build upon this. Not many around who can start hitting from word go.

Last edited:
After those 2 sixes off southeee needed to keep a calm head and almost lost it. it was like watch afridi wafting wildly. Yes he won us game but needs to use his brains a bit more.

He was hit on the head so we should give him benefit of the doubt. Played a match-winning cameo. Really happy for him.

Incredible innings.

Pretty much everyone hated his selection, including me but this is the Asif Ali everyone has been waiting to see. This is the first match I can recall when the team was struggling and Asif came in and turned things around. Usually when he does well, it's when the score is already well set and there is minimal pressure. He came in a huge pressure game and a tough position and completely turned around the game for us. It was excellent to see and I hope we see many more performances like this.

Kudos to Asif Ali & I hope he is fully healthy as well.

He was hit on the head so we should give him benefit of the doubt. Played a match-winning cameo. Really happy for him.

He was hit on the head after wildily swing and missing at 2 balls.

At that point after his 2 sixes we needed a run a ball. All he had to do was pick up singles but tried the same shot again and again so no shock he got hid by the short ball. Other teams will do the same.

Yes he won us game today.

I felt the same too, he wouldn’t even have got hit on the helmet if he used his brains

All that was needed was 2 good overs which is 10-15 runs an over to turn the match , he was able to do that today but not in a convincing fashion.

Although the NZ pacers were trundling around but still those were some mighty sixers! Credit to Asif for finishing the game!

Would agree with this. He started off great, but looked wobbly around the time he got hit. At that point I was counting on Malik to see us home, and he did. Credit to Asif though, he hit a few match winning boundaries, and I hope he will use this to build some game awareness.

I hope he is all good and feeling OK.

@Saj
Any word on Asif after he took that hit on the helmet?

I think as a cricket fan you should have the guts and humility to admit that you were wrong.

So I must admit I was wrong about Asif Ali when I said he had no future for Pakistan.

Yes, he had never stepped up for Pakistan till now. But I guess this is the kind of faith he needed. Because I can think of few batsmen in Pakistan who could have smashed those sixes at that stage of the game.

Well done Asif Ali. You definitely proved me wrong. Hope you can keep playing knocks like these and proving others wrong as well.

P.S. Hope he is doing well, because that was a nasty blow.

Last edited:
Lets not get carried away It was a excellent knock
But he needs to be more consistent if he wants to stay in the team

One swallow doesnt make a summer

He won us the game today. Full credit to him. He always had the power, just couldn't translate domestic performances to international cricket. Hopefully he can build on this.

Could never the understand the hate he got. As Pakistan's best power hitter (especially against pace) and given that can bat down the order, I could never how anyone could write him off especially for T20Is.

A born matchwinner.

Asif was the man of the match today for me.

I know Rauf got 4 wickets but it was Asif who finished the game.

Could never the understand the hate he got. As Pakistan's best power hitter (especially against pace) and given that can bat down the order, I could never how anyone could write him off especially for T20Is.

A born matchwinner.

Problem was too many failures one after the other. I'd say the misgivings about him were well-founded. As a reminder from Saj's tweet last month, these were his scores from last 13 T20I till September:

1, 5, 7, 4, 11, 1, 29, 6, 3, 25, 2, 13, 2*

Total Runs - 109
Strike-rate - 99.09
Average - 9.08

Most players from other countries would have been booted after or during this run of poor performance.

But congratulations to him for finally stepping up today.

Three sixes and suddenly Asif Ali is the player that we need at 6 and the power-hitter that we have longed for.

Three sixes and three years of mediocrity and an entire career of mediocre domestic performances have been deleted from our memories.

It just goes to show how emotional, vulnerable and gullible Pakistani fans are. This is why they are always disappointed in the end and get reality-checks but they never learn.

Our fans’ heads are in the clouds again. Only a matter of time before they get a brutal reality-check and are brought back to earth. We have been here before.

Problem was too many failures one after the other. I'd say the misgivings about him were well-founded. As a reminder from Saj's tweet last month, these were his scores from last 13 T20I till September:

1, 5, 7, 4, 11, 1, 29, 6, 3, 25, 2, 13, 2*

Total Runs - 109
Strike-rate - 99.09
Average - 9.08

Most players from other countries would have been booted after or during this run of poor performance.

But congratulations to him for finally stepping up today.

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of those scores (if not all) were under the management of Misbah/Waqar who have no idea how to handle batsmen with firepower because of their conservative/defensive approach.

Lets see what he does in the post-Misbah era.

He was also a let down in the 2019 WC, especially with his fielding, but that was expected after the loss of his daughter. He had a lot on his mind.

Today he has left his haters red faced who have disappeared from this thread. Some of the hate he was getting was just horrible. He's been through a lot. If we can give far more mediocre players like Misbah a full rope + captaincy + chief selector + head coach then at least let our best hitter of pace have a proper chance to settle in this team.

Asif Ali haters can go do one as far as I'm concerned.

What people don’t understand is that Asif Ali’s role in the team is to play aggressively from ball 1. The chances of him getting out on a low score compared to others is much higher because he plays risky shots.

If he was told to play as an anchor then I’m sure he’d average 30+ with a strike rate of 130 but instead we use him as a slogger. Someone who can strike it at 160+ and win you games at the end of the innings.

Three sixes and suddenly Asif Ali is the player that we need at 6 and the power-hitter that we have longed for.

Three sixes and three years of mediocrity and an entire career of mediocre domestic performances have been deleted from our memories.

It just goes to show how emotional, vulnerable and gullible Pakistani fans are. This is why they are always disappointed in the end and get reality-checks but they never learn.

Our fans’ heads are in the clouds again. Only a matter of time before they get a brutal reality-check and are brought back to earth. We have been here before.

For once some of your post makes sense. Yes fans shouldnt get carried away with flash in pan inns. Sadly you feel need to berate pakistan fans. yet you do bhangra when your beloved indian players play similar knocks.

Babar Azam has huge trust in Asif Ali ability and has backed him to perform

Asif Ali, Haider Ali, Fakhar Zaman, & Malik can take up three spots. I would argue that Haider should have been in the team ahead of Asif based on the National T20 form but after this performance, he won't lose his spot especially with relatively easier bowling units comping up until the Semifinal.

The other thing that makes it slightly more challenging for Asif is that our all-rounders Imad & Shadab are below average on the international level with the bat. So more expectations/pressure on someone playing at his number. On top of this Asif Ali is a poor fielder often giving away runs or dropping catches which makes things worse for him.

He has to perform more and more, he was rightly criticised and will be if he fails , I think he has to be smart in his shots selection, Haider Ali is better alternative I still believe.

Asif Ali, Haider Ali, Fakhar Zaman, & Malik can take up three spots. I would argue that Haider should have been in the team ahead of Asif based on the National T20 form but after this performance, he won't lose his spot especially with relatively easier bowling units comping up until the Semifinal.

The other thing that makes it slightly more challenging for Asif is that our all-rounders Imad & Shadab are below average on the international level with the bat. So more expectations/pressure on someone playing at his number. On top of this Asif Ali is a poor fielder often giving away runs or dropping catches which makes things worse for him.

Imad and Shadab are on par level with other all rounders

With the bat, they probably have the poorest record among the all-rounders for the top 6 T20 teams.

That's becouse they are bowling all rounders rather than batting all rounders but they can chip in with runs when required.

Its 7 sixes now! Keep counting

Asif is doing the job he is here for. Why not just give lad some credit.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's becouse they are bowling all rounders rather than batting all rounders but they can chip in with runs when required.

Well, that was exactly my point, they are not as good with the bat so we need strength up top.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="hi" dir="ltr">Aur koi hukam Pakistan? Shukriya <a href="https://twitter.com/IsbUnited?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@isbunited</a> aur woh sub log jinho ne mere per belief rakha mere mushkil waqt mai. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PakistanZindabad?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PakistanZindabad</a></p>— Asif Ali (@AasifAli2018) <a href="https://twitter.com/AasifAli2018/status/1454154833573842952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 29, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Funny how certain posters still believe Asif Ali can be a thing for Pakistan. He has played innings like these before. They were the reason he got selected in the first place.

But I'm ready to bet my house on him being as big of a failure for Pakistan if (God forbid) he is selected again.

So when are you gifting your house to Asif Ali then? :)))

So when are you gifting your house to Asif Ali then? :)))

I think as a cricket fan you should have the guts and humility to admit that you were wrong.

So I must admit I was wrong about Asif Ali when I said he had no future for Pakistan.

Yes, he had never stepped up for Pakistan till now. But I guess this is the kind of faith he needed. Because I can think of few batsmen in Pakistan who could have smashed those sixes at that stage of the game.

Well done Asif Ali. You definitely proved me wrong. Hope you can keep playing knocks like these and proving others wrong as well.

P.S. Hope he is doing well, because that was a nasty blow.

Back