"I wanted to keep on playing cricket" : Misbah-ul-Haq in SNGPL's squad for 2018/19 QEA Trophy

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
"I wanted to keep on playing cricket" : Misbah-ul-Haq in SNGPL's squad for 2018/19 QEA Trophy

Former Pakistan captain Misbahul Haq has criticised Pakistan Cricket Board’s (PCB) decision to start this year’s domestic season earlier than usual.

Misbah — who will be representing Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL) in the upcoming Quaid-e-Azam Trophy tournament — is of the opinion that early start of domestic season will affect players’ performances while also increasing chances of injury.

“The decision to start the season early will affect performances of teams,” he said in a press conference at the LCCA ground in Lahore. “Hot weather and only one-day break in between matches will make it difficult for players, especially at the beginning of the season, while this can also lead to injuries.”

Earlier the PCB had decided to revert to its old formula of holding four-day QeA Trophy matches followed by one-day cup matches — for every round. The same venue will be used for both the formats. It must be noted that a similar structure was also used in 2014 but it was scrapped next season because it failed to deliver in accordance with the expectations.

The domestic season will start from September 1, unlike last year when it began on September 26.

Misbah had previously decided against participating in QeA Trophy but because of absence of many SNGPL players — due to international assignments — the right-handed batsman agreed to represent the side on team management’s request.

“I wanted to keep on playing cricket which is why I decided to accept SNGPL’s request,” he said. “Quite a few cricketers will be busy representing Pakistan at the international level which is why I decided to make a comeback.”

In the round one of QeA Tropy, SNGPL will face Lahore Region White in a four-day match from September 1-4 while they will face the same side, after a day’s rest, on September 6 in the National One-Day Tournament. Both matches will take place at the LCCA ground in Lahore.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1792282/7-misbahul-haq-criticises-changes-qea-trophy-schedule/

Last edited:
Great news. would be following his games.

Would be astounding if he actually manages to score runs. But personally, I think this will be his last season. Even Misbah can't keep up with the grueling QEA Trophy schedule

In the round one of QeA Tropy, SNGPL will face Lahore Region White in a four-day match from September 1-4 while they will face the same side, after a day’s rest, on September 6 in the National One-Day Tournament. Both matches will take place at the LCCA ground in Lahore.

Is it possible to change this schedule somehow? :dw

Dl_sLKcXoAABf0Q.jpg:large

Misbah and Mickey speaking at LCCA this morning before QEA start.

wow when was the last time a pakistani coach showed up at a first class game.

man i really respect Mickey

Former Pakistan captain Misbahul Haq has criticised Pakistan Cricket Board’s (PCB) decision to start this year’s domestic season earlier than usual.

Starting the season earlier is pretty good inasmuch as it ensures national team members are playing regular four day cricket in the run up to test series in the UAE.

The actual scheduling is beyond stupid.

Two things I did not like here 1- Dressing room, 2-Misbah nearing 50 and still blocking some youngster's chance and playing, pathetic.

Two things I did not like here 1- Dressing room, 2-Misbah nearing 50 and still blocking some youngster's chance and playing, pathetic.

before making comments like pathetic, please do bother to do some research in future. The fact that you dont do research and come up with conclusions shows taht you have blind hate and nothing else.

Misbah had said that he was not gonna play this years tournament, but had to play upon request from his department as many players were not avalible during season. THere is a video, you can look for it if you are really bothered

Also, if you do further reasearch, cricketers like Trescothick still play first class cricket even after international.

Also, during the current first class game that is being played at LCCA. When Misbah recorded the OP video, i think you probably could had noticed(i doubt) that there is no one in the dressing room, hence they are on the field, playing.

even the score card shows that Misbah aint playing
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...es-limited-pool-a-quaid-e-azam-trophy-2018-19

Misbah is there to fill for any vacancy made by the players if they go on Pakistan tour. SNGPL has asked Misbah, even if they dont need him for any match at quaid e azam trophy, they still need his availibility if something happens and they need his services. Because at the end of the day, Misbah is an elite player in the first class circuit.

before making comments like pathetic, please do bother to do some research in future. The fact that you dont do research and come up with conclusions shows taht you have blind hate and nothing else.

Misbah had said that he was not gonna play this years tournament, but had to play upon request from his department as many players were not avalible during season. THere is a video, you can look for it if you are really bothered

Also, if you do further reasearch, cricketers like Trescothick still play first class cricket even after international.

Also, during the current first class game that is being played at LCCA. When Misbah recorded the OP video, i think you probably could had noticed(i doubt) that there is no one in the dressing room, hence they are on the field, playing.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...es-limited-pool-a-quaid-e-azam-trophy-2018-19

Misbah is there to fill for any vacancy made by the players if they go on Pakistan tour. SNGPL has asked Misbah, even if they dont need him for any match at quaid e azam trophy, they still need his availibility if something happens and they need his services. Because at the end of the day, Misbah is an elite player in the first class circuit.

Plus Misbah is also not playing the current match for SNGPL, Asad Shafiq is captaining the side. To have such a big personality like him sitting on the bench is extremely commendable

You seriously think there is a not a single young man left in Pakistan to play in place of Misbah. This man has been using same kind of excuses to block any young player. He has done for Pakistan team, Islamabad united and now for SNGPL, greed and selfishness has no limit.

You seriously think there is a not a single young man left in Pakistan to play in place of Misbah. This man has been using same kind of excuses to block any young player. He has done for Pakistan team, Islamabad united and now for SNGPL, greed and selfishness has no limit.

Lol, i don't think Misbah is playing domestic cricket for money because he could easily make more in the media than playing domestic cricket. But a motivation could be that he wants to keep himself active and fit so that he can maybe have a one final crack at the PSL.

The other reason could be that he really does not know what to do outside Cricket with his life.

Million dollar question is will he retire or get kicked out of his PSL side. I suspect the latter because he had to be forced to retire after the Aus tour from Sethi and co at PCB.

Oh why can't you understand it's because it's his decision to continue playing on at near 50 years of age. It's not like he's in the beginning/middle of his career where he is forced to accept it because he needs money to support his family.

again, many cricketers around the world play till old age. Its first class.

there are 16 teams, with 25 player squad each. so 400 sports. but nahi jee, Misbah jo hai woh youngster ko ruk reh hai

again, many cricketers around the world play till old age. Its first class.

But he's not in the league someone like Trescothick. He was one of the 3 best openers for England since the turn of the century.

In addition let me remind you Misbah scored 57 runs from 4 innings in 8 matches in this year's PSL at a SR of 75. Yet he's going to continue playing PSL next season when really on merit he isn't good enough to make a second string PSL side let alone the first team. What excuses do you have left now?

The reason for his latest participation in QeA tournament is ONLY money - easy money and nothing else.

No, PAK domestic cricket doesn't pay that much - but if he stops participating in QeA, he can't enjoy almost a quarter million $ pay check at PSL, for being "injured" most times. These AFG League, Uganda League, QeA tournament or PAK Cup .... are just eye wash - bahana to show his "hunger" & "passion" for cricket, though he isn't doing much in the middle. Guy was hired as Captain at BPL, then got benched after 2/3 games - being PAK Captain for 6 years, that should have been enough. But, he won't retire, until he goes unsold at PSL draft.

Guy has enough qualification & contacts to earn a decent living outside pretending to play cricket at this age, when some of his team mates are his son's peers - but that's hard working money, at least 40 hours/week and 9-5 office with lots of responsibilities. Still it won't earn him a close to what IU is paying him, add to that Dubai trip at 5 star accommodation, perks & lime light ........

Last edited by a moderator:
But he's not in the league someone like Trescothick. He was one of the 3 best openers for England since the turn of the century.

In addition let me remind you Misbah scored 57 runs from 4 innings in 8 matches in this year's PSL at a SR of 75. Yet he's going to continue playing PSL next season when really on merit he isn't good enough to make a second string PSL side let alone the first team. What excuses do you have left now?

so now you shifted to psl from QET.

fact is many people play above age of 40, and Misbah was an international great which makes hima legend in Domestic level.

deal with it. He will continue to play till he wants.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason for his latest participation in QeA tournament is ONLY money - easy money and nothing else.

No, PAK domestic cricket doesn't pay that much - but if he stops participating in QeA, he can't enjoy almost a quarter million $ pay check at PSL, for being "injured" most times. These AFG League, Uganda League, QeA tournament or PAK Cup .... are just eye wash - bahana to show his "hunger" & "passion" for cricket, though he isn't doing much in the middle. Guy was hired as Captain at BPL, then got benched after 2/3 games - being PAK Captain for 6 years, that should have been enough. But, he won't retire, until he goes unsold at PSL draft.

Guy has enough qualification & contacts to earn a decent living outside pretending to play cricket at this age, when some of his team mates are his son's peers - but that's hard working money, at least 40 hours/week and 9-5 office with lots of responsibilities. Still it won't earn him a close to what IU is paying him, add to that Dubai trip at 5 star accommodation, perks & lime light ........

Lol maybe he just likes playing cricket

Couldn't agree more with this. Right on the money (pun intended). :misbah

I haven't seen his name in last round of QeA - may be I have overlooked his name. It can't happen that this guy is injured most times, but participating in every possible avenue. He is using his contacts to list his name in domestics, which keeps him eligible for PSL draft, and then his other contacts so far has ensured that he gets a highest category deal - that's $200K+/season, just as base wage.

This is the only explanation I can give, why PAK Captain for 6 years, playing domestic every year previously never noticed the condition of dressing room ....

Misbah should retire from cricket now. PSL has shown that he isn't good enough anymore. It has nothing to do with his age Any more, he just isn't good enough .
[MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] is right , he can still have a respectable career after cricket.

Doing a commentators stint or an analyst job is much easier and easy pay.

You think playing 10 hours a day and doing physicall fitness everyday is that easy? He would do that just for a small pay cheque?

He loves the game(period)

so now you shifted to psl from QET.

fact is many people play above age of 40, and Misbah was an international great which makes hima legend in Domestic level.

deal with it. He will continue to play till he wants.

An international great?! That's just an insult and great disservice you did there to all the greats of the game who earned that tag. I'm sorry but only in your dreams was he an international great.

You conveniently ignored Misbah's PSL stats. If you had it in you, you would at least acknowledge his performances weren't good enough for PSL standards.

Potw. Be ready to be called hater etc and also he loves cricket. Plus don't forget you are taking away his rooti etc. Money is the only reason he is playing. I hope people now understand why I call him a grandad.

Potw. Be ready to be called hater etc and also he loves cricket. Plus don't forget you are taking away his rooti etc. Money is the only reason he is playing. I hope people now understand why I call him a grandad.

wow, so according to your logic. a domestic match paycheque is greater than a pay cheque you get as a commentator or tv analyst,

wow, so according to your logic. a domestic match paycheque is greater than a pay cheque you get as a commentator or tv analyst,

Don't be so disingenuous here, MMHS has already addressed this so I'll quote what he said from post 45:

Don't be so disingenuous here, MMHS has already addressed this so I'll quote what he said from post 45:

again, to play in foreign leagues, you dont have to play in QeA.

also, if you have ever played sports. you dont just decide to play in a league. You have to do alot of fitness training and then do net practice seperatly. Thats like 6-8 hours per day, in the Hot Pakistani weather.

While a TV analyst job on Ten sports is mainly watching the sport on tv, have meals and do discussion before the game starts and after it ends, all done in an Ac room.

answer with logic.

again, to play in foreign leagues, you dont have to play in QeA.

also, if you have ever played sports. you dont just decide to play in a league. You have to do alot of fitness training and then do net practice seperatly. Thats like 6-8 hours per day, in the Hot Pakistani weather.

While a TV analyst job on Ten sports is mainly watching the sport on tv, have meals and do discussion before the game starts and after it ends, all done in an Ac room.

answer with logic.

Once again this was addressed by MMHS from post 45, this time I will pick it out for you:

QeA tournament or PAK Cup .... are just eye wash - bahana to show his "hunger" & "passion" for cricket, though he isn't doing much in the middle

Because he isn't performing with the bat he needs the time in QeA to appear as if he's dedicated and ready to step up to be warranted a PSL cheque.

Once again this was addressed by MMHS from post 45, this time I will pick it out for you:

QeA tournament or PAK Cup .... are just eye wash - bahana to show his "hunger" & "passion" for cricket, though he isn't doing much in the middle

a guy who never cared about his critics during his international playing days, would try to show a bahana towards stakeholders now?

again, you ignored the rest of the post.

Plz answer with logic

How much money does he need?He should retire and give opportunities to young players. Should learn from Cook how to retire gracefully.

Misbah — who will be representing Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL) in the upcoming Quaid-e-Azam Trophy tournament — is of the opinion that early start of domestic season will affect players’ performances while also increasing chances of injury.

“The decision to start the season early will affect performances of teams,” he said in a press conference at the LCCA ground in Lahore. “Hot weather and only one-day break in between matches will make it difficult for players, especially at the beginning of the season, while this can also lead to injuries.”

Umar Gul reportedly fainted during the match due to the heat, but resumed playing later on.

20 and 2 in his two matches this season for SNGPL so far.

He is listed in the Platinum category once again for PSL 4. :misbah4

How much money does he need?He should retire and give opportunities to young players. Should learn from Cook how to retire gracefully.

If he needed money for himself, he wouldn't be making a children's cancer hospital.

Why is ISU not asking him to leave? fact is that his captaincy is doing well at PSL and the guys who want to make money & glory want him to stay on in PSL and also SNGPL

If PCB has the guts to tell these people to stop taking on certain players, they should do it.

I'm glad your thinking has changed about him and not believing in ridiculous conspiracies. He isn't in for money.

One, he loves the game and second, his presence is a huggeeee opportunity for young cricketers from both the teams to learn, talk, etc.

I just want to see how funny it would be when a white bearded man takes stage for the first time 5 to 7 years from now for PSL and his fanatical fans, still argue that so what if he is 50?

He is a great and deserves to play at 50 plus.

He loves the game. I remember he was commentating once and predicted what would happen 5 overs in advance, and when he took a break he came back and asked every detail of what he'd missed.

I just want to see how funny it would be when a white bearded man takes stage for the first time 5 to 7 years from now for PSL and his fanatical fans, still argue that so what if he is 50?

He is a great and deserves to play at 50 plus.

PSL is a commercial, private league of mostly retired international players. Team owners choose their teams. Not the board, nor the 'selection committee'.

You seem to have a problem only with Misbah.

Team owners can pick any retired player they want. As long as it's working for them.

IMO he should not play PSL, yes, but he certainly has a right like other retired cricketers.

PSL is a commercial, private league of mostly retired international players. Team owners choose their teams. Not the board, nor the 'selection committee'.

You seem to have a problem only with Misbah.

Team owners can pick any retired player they want. As long as it's working for them.

IMO he should not play PSL, yes, but he certainly has a right like other retired cricketers.

Read my post again.

I dont have any problem with Misbah unless he decides to turn 50 and keep playing PSL

I think Misbah can be a real asset to Pakistan cricket if he can take up a coaching role and work at nca with the younger players. The guy can teach them more than cricket, perhaps how to have the right temperament for the game.

Last edited:
I think Misbah can be a real asset to Pakistan cricket if he can take up a coaching role and work at nca with the younger players. The guy can teach them more than cricket, perhaps how to have the right temperament for the game.

Oh, FGS, you want him to transmit that defensive mind set to next generation of cricketers.

Oh, FGS, you want him to transmit that defensive mind set to next generation of cricketers.

More than that he can probably work on their techniques for test cricket and teach them from his experience as to how to deal with pressure situations. Agreed that he was at times more defensive than needed but the guy at most times was able to handle pressure situations better than others in the team.

Right.. like the defensive mindset he has instilled in the likes of Asif Ali, Hussain Talat, Fahim Ashraf and Sahibzada Farhan

I just think that people like Misbah-ul-Haq need to hang up the boots and concentrate on moving on to the administrative side of things. There is a time when you need to call it a day and let the young players take over. The Asian players never understand the same.

He is playing domestic. Its not like young players are lighting it up on fire these days. If anything, they will learn from him. I say more power to him. Try to play as long as you can Misbah..

More than that he can probably work on their techniques for test cricket and teach them from his experience as to how to deal with pressure situations. Agreed that he was at times more defensive than needed but the guy at most times was able to handle pressure situations better than others in the team.

Right.. like the defensive mindset he has instilled in the likes of Asif Ali, Hussain Talat, Fahim Ashraf and Sahibzada Farhan

You both are talking too much logic. [MENTION=141839]moghul[/MENTION] won't get it. He's been on a hating spree since joining. :najam

Someone of the caliber of Misbah, if they're in a domestic team, that's a HUGE DEAL for our local players.

They get to learn a ton of stuff.

Can't be explained.

He is playing domestic. Its not like young players are lighting it up on fire these days. If anything, they will learn from him. I say more power to him. Try to play as long as you can Misbah..

Yeah, it's a commercial league where owners pick whoever they want to play. Most are retired intl players.

And in domestics, having a national legend playing with you is a great learning opportunity for the youngsters.

Misbah is captaining SNGPL in the current round of the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy.

Made 2.

7 in the second innings.

If he's playing FC cricket, he should consider batting a bit lower down the order, might help him to get back into 'form'. #4 seems a bit too high at this stage.

Demoted himself to #5 but made a duck, one of seven victims for Junaid. SNGPL bowled out for just 35, conditions must have been tough I suppose.

Conditions, not Misbah.

The point remains same.

A young player can be forgiven for being part of a procession when a team is bundled out for 35.

How does a 45 year old justify his place in the team when he can neither stop the procession nor be a part of future Pakistan set ups??

SNGPL (First innings) 216 all out in 65.2 overs (Misbah-ul-Haq 66, 131 balls, 11x4s, 1x6, Naeem-ud-Din 40, 61 balls, 7x4s, Bilawal Bhatti 25, 63 balls, 5x4s, Imran Khalid 20, 32 balls, 2x4s, Haris Asif )

KRL (First innings) 26-1 in 12 overs

---------------

Finally some runs.

SNGPL (First innings) 216 all out in 65.2 overs (Misbah-ul-Haq 66, 131 balls, 11x4s, 1x6, Naeem-ud-Din 40, 61 balls, 7x4s, Bilawal Bhatti 25, 63 balls, 5x4s, Imran Khalid 20, 32 balls, 2x4s, Haris Asif )

KRL (First innings) 26-1 in 12 overs

---------------

Finally some runs.

At similar rate & similar mantra - 50 out of 66 from boundary, from 131 balls :).

* KRL STADIUM, RAWALPINDI

SNGPL (First innings) 216 all out in 65.2 overs (Misbah-ul-Haq 66, 131 balls, 11x4s, 1x6, Naeem-ud-Din 40, 61 balls, 7x4s, Bilawal Bhatti 25, 63 balls, 5x4s, Imran Khalid 20, 32 balls, 2x4s, Haris Asif 4-66, Sadaf Hussain 3-48, Ahmed Bashir 2-61)

(2nd innings) 241 all out in 85.1 overs (Misbah-ul-Haq 76, 155 balls, 12x4s, Imran Butt 36, 67 balls, 6x4s, Raees Ahmed 30, 93 balls, 3x4s, Bilawal Bhatti 30, 63 balls, 3x4s, Khurram Shahzad 28, 71 balls, 4x4s, Noman Ali 5-55, Ahmed Bashir 2-56)

KRL (First innings) 343 all out in 120.5 overs (Shoaib Ahmed 102*, 170 balls, 13x4s, Noman Ali 53, 77 balls, 12x4s, Jaahid Ali 49, 170 balls, 7x4s, Usman Arshad 32, 80 balls, 3x4s, Hassan Raza 26, 73 balls, 3x4s, Aziz Ullah 4-49, Samiullah Khan 3-65, Bilawal Bhatti 2-80)

(2nd innings) 104 all out in 30.4 overs (Noman Ali 27, 27 balls, 3x4s, 1x6, Usman Arshad 21, 25 balls, 4x4s, Imran Khalid 4-42, Muhamamd Imran 2-10, Samiullah Khan 2-11, Aziz Ullah 2-35)

Result: SNGPL won by 10 Runs

-----------------------------------

Couple of crucial knocks by Misbah, finally some runs in the last round of the Group stage.

* KRL STADIUM, RAWALPINDI

SNGPL (First innings) 216 all out in 65.2 overs (Misbah-ul-Haq 66, 131 balls, 11x4s, 1x6, Naeem-ud-Din 40, 61 balls, 7x4s, Bilawal Bhatti 25, 63 balls, 5x4s, Imran Khalid 20, 32 balls, 2x4s, Haris Asif 4-66, Sadaf Hussain 3-48, Ahmed Bashir 2-61)

(2nd innings) 241 all out in 85.1 overs (Misbah-ul-Haq 76, 155 balls, 12x4s, Imran Butt 36, 67 balls, 6x4s, Raees Ahmed 30, 93 balls, 3x4s, Bilawal Bhatti 30, 63 balls, 3x4s, Khurram Shahzad 28, 71 balls, 4x4s, Noman Ali 5-55, Ahmed Bashir 2-56)

KRL (First innings) 343 all out in 120.5 overs (Shoaib Ahmed 102*, 170 balls, 13x4s, Noman Ali 53, 77 balls, 12x4s, Jaahid Ali 49, 170 balls, 7x4s, Usman Arshad 32, 80 balls, 3x4s, Hassan Raza 26, 73 balls, 3x4s, Aziz Ullah 4-49, Samiullah Khan 3-65, Bilawal Bhatti 2-80)

(2nd innings) 104 all out in 30.4 overs (Noman Ali 27, 27 balls, 3x4s, 1x6, Usman Arshad 21, 25 balls, 4x4s, Imran Khalid 4-42, Muhamamd Imran 2-10, Samiullah Khan 2-11, Aziz Ullah 2-35)

Result: SNGPL won by 10 Runs

-----------------------------------

Couple of crucial knocks by Misbah, finally some runs in the last round of the Group stage.

Yup, crucial as they won by just 10.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">44 years young and still scoring runs - Misbah-ul-Haq 72 not out for SNGPL against HBL in the Quaid-E-Azam Trophy final <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/QEATrophyFinal?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#QEATrophyFinal</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1069938858761052160?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 4, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How is Younis doing in Pak domestic? Sometimes I wonder if both of them could have continued for 1,5 years more.

Back