"I would like to play the 3-Test match series for the WTC Final": Rohit Sharma

Should the WTC final consist of a 3-match series?

• Total voters
The path to glory for the next WTC is set as India kick-off their campaign against the mighty West Indies. I haven't seen the fixtures but it's likely India will also play Bangladesh for a 2 test series enroute to another final. That's 4 matches ticked off from the list.

Bro, you can be as consistent as you want, trophy matters at the end of the day. Legacies are built on the trophies won. Your short comings are ignored when you win a tournament.

When Imran was captain, he had his flaws. During the Misbah days, i was curious how people looked at Imran, and I was able to meet people that told me that Imran was also very much criticized and that the whole cornered tiger thing was from 1988 World Cup. Thing is, Zia called him back and when he won the 1992 World Cup, he became an icon, and after that World Cup the guy was elevated and rightly so.

The Pakistan of 2005-2007 was doing well series wise, yet its no show at the world cup was for what the team was insulted.

Call it a fluke or whatever, but Pakistan did win a trophy. You are telling me that during the last 10 years, the amount of tournaments India played they werent even good enough to even fluke a win?

At the end of the day, its the ICC tournaments that matter and create legacy for players. Reaching the finals, does not matter, if it did, than Sri Lanka would had been the most iconic team ever. They are forgotten, while the 1996 Sri Lankan team (a group of unfit and misfit players) is highly recognized

You can call anything least important, but the thing is, Pakistan has the least important ICC champion title, while India does not have a single one.

If it was a t20 or a 50 over world cup, you would still come up with an excuse. Point is, India also played that final but they came out as a loser.

As I said before, India has almost been knocked by every team during the last 10 years. That is nothing to be celebrated. The only team that is yet to Knock India out is South Africa.

The event got knocked out to West Indies

Two years after winning the CT, Sarfraz got kicked out of the team and started getting treated like a joke. Pakistani fans started making fun of him.

This is his legacy and this is what winning the CT did for him. The lack of importance of the tournament is reflected in how Sarfraz’s career nosedived after captaining to the trophy.

Even demolishing India in the final didn’t save his career. That says everything that needs to be said about the significance of the CT.

You can’t be serious if you are suggesting that you would prefer winning the CT over multiple Test series wins in Australia and staying on top of of the Test rankings for years.

I guess it is a case of not wanting what you cannot have. Maybe you know that Pakistan will never be good enough to win a Test series in Australia and be on top of the Test rankings for a long period of time so it is better to be content with winning small trophies while being the 8th ranked side.

Two years after winning the CT, Sarfraz got kicked out of the team and started getting treated like a joke. Pakistani fans started making fun of him.

This is his legacy and this is what winning the CT did for him. The lack of importance of the tournament is reflected in how Sarfraz’s career nosedived after captaining to the trophy.

Even demolishing India in the final didn’t save his career. That says everything that needs to be said about the significance of the CT.

You can’t be serious if you are suggesting that you would prefer winning the CT over multiple Test series wins in Australia and staying on top of of the Test rankings for years.

I guess it is a case of not wanting what you cannot have. Maybe you know that Pakistan will never be good enough to win a Test series in Australia and be on top of the Test rankings for a long period of time so it is better to be content with winning small trophies while being the 8th ranked side.

So you are saying that because Sarfraz won the CT he should had been allowed to continue even though he lacked performance?

Sarfraz was rightly dropped, but he is still amongst the most well respected cricketers of Pakistan. Azhar Ali and Hafeez also captained Pakistan, but as captains they never reached the area where Sarfraz Ahmad is. Hafeez is a forgotten captain of the nation.

An ICC trophy will always be better than any series. Also, the purpose of the test championship was to win series to play the final and win the trophy.

India currently holds no ICC title, and thats sad considering how rich they are. Pakistan holds a title, India can only sulk. Hey atleast we won from 8th ranked. Infact, India lost to an 8th ranked team in the final, thats how terrible they are in tournaments.

Every team looks to play against India in ICC play offs as it means its a sure win

Well, if you wanted to shove it down to my throat then it's your call.

I still feel that if the league games are based on best of multiple test matches, then so should be the final game.

This my personal opinion and if this is what Rohit believes too, then it's not my fault.

Benson & Hedges used to have a best of three finals - so the concept is not new or alien to the cricket world.

You want consistency in determining the WTC winner but are failing to see the inconsistency in Rohit's excuses.

If Rohit wants a best of 3 final, why doesn't he ask to change 2 or 4 match Tests in the WTC league to 3 or 5 matches? Why just the final?

Fact is, had India won the WTC, we would not be having this discussion.

3-match final series is not practical in modern day cricket.

Also, final should be one game. No need to change it.

So you are saying that because Sarfraz won the CT he should had been allowed to continue even though he lacked performance?

No, what I’m saying is that the way Sarfraz’s career went south after 2017 disproves your claim that the CT builds legacies. It does not. The 50 over World Cup does.

Had Sarfraz won the 2019 World Cup instead, his status in Pakistan cricket would have been much higher. He would most likely still be the captain in spite of not performing much and it wouldn’t have been easy for Misbah to remove him as captain.

Imran Khan used the World Cup to become the PM. Had Afridi captained Pakistan to the 2011 World Cup trophy, he would have left a legacy like Imran Khan.

Champions Trophy doesn’t build any legacies. India and Sri Lanka were the joint winners in 2002, but they don't have the same legacy as the 1983 and 2011 Indian teams or the 1996 Sri Lankan team. Similarly, West Indies won it in 2004 but they didn’t have the legacy of the 1975 and 1979 West Indies teams.

Sarfraz was rightly dropped, but he is still amongst the most well respected cricketers of Pakistan. Azhar Ali and Hafeez also captained Pakistan, but as captains they never reached the area where Sarfraz Ahmad is. Hafeez is a forgotten captain of the nation.

Sarfraz is a forgotten man. No one cares about him anymore outside Karachi. He is not popular or respected in other parts of the country among the general public. Go to Lahore, Islamabad, Peshawar etc. and ask kids on the streets who their favorite player is and you will hardly find any Sarfraz fan.

Had he won the World Cup, it would have been much different.

An ICC trophy will always be better than any series. Also, the purpose of the test championship was to win series to play the final and win the trophy.

No, the CT is not better than winning Test series in Australia/India/England and it is not better than occupying the number 1 Test ranking for long periods of time.

India would not trade the two wins in Australia or the number one Test ranking for multiple years for the 2017 Champions Trophy.

Australia, England, South Africa, New Zealand etc. all these teams would rather win a Test series in India than win the CT.

Perhaps Pakistani fans think differently and would rather win a CT as an 8th ranked team than win Test series in Australia, but that shows the level and the mentality of Pakistani fans.

India currently holds no ICC title, and thats sad considering how rich they are. Pakistan holds a title, India can only sulk. Hey atleast we won from 8th ranked. Infact, India lost to an 8th ranked team in the final, thats how terrible they are in tournaments.

Every team looks to play against India in ICC play offs as it means its a sure win

In the last 10 years, India won two Test series in Australia. No other Asian Test team has won a single series in Australia until now.

They spent more time at the top of the ICC Test rankings than any team in the 2010-20 decade and any team in Asian history.

These achievements are more significant than winning a CT, a tournament that serves no purpose because winning the CT does not make you world champion in the ODI format and a tournament ICC has tried to kill off numerous times because it serves no purpose and there is no reason for its existence.

Only someone completely delusional would argue that Pakistan have been better than India over the last 10 years because they won the CT and that they won’t trade places with India and achieve what they have achieved. That is utter nonsense.

No, what I’m saying is that the way Sarfraz’s career went south after 2017 disproves your claim that the CT builds legacies. It does not. The 50 over World Cup does.

Had Sarfraz won the 2019 World Cup instead, his status in Pakistan cricket would have been much higher. He would most likely still be the captain in spite of not performing much and it wouldn’t have been easy for Misbah to remove him as captain.

Imran Khan used the World Cup to become the PM. Had Afridi captained Pakistan to the 2011 World Cup trophy, he would have left a legacy like Imran Khan.

Champions Trophy doesn’t build any legacies. India and Sri Lanka were the joint winners in 2002, but they don't have the same legacy as the 1983 and 2011 Indian teams or the 1996 Sri Lankan team. Similarly, West Indies won it in 2004 but they didn’t have the legacy of the 1975 and 1979 West Indies teams.

Sarfraz is a forgotten man. No one cares about him anymore outside Karachi. He is not popular or respected in other parts of the country among the general public. Go to Lahore, Islamabad, Peshawar etc. and ask kids on the streets who their favorite player is and you will hardly find any Sarfraz fan.

No, the CT is not better than winning Test series in Australia/India/England and it is not better than occupying the number 1 Test ranking for long periods of time.

India would not trade the two wins in Australia or the number one Test ranking for multiple years for the 2017 Champions Trophy.

Australia, England, South Africa, New Zealand etc. all these teams would rather win a Test series in India than win the CT.

Perhaps Pakistani fans think differently and would rather win a CT as an 8th ranked team than win Test series in Australia, but that shows the level and the mentality of Pakistani fans.

In the last 10 years, India won two Test series in Australia. No other Asian Test team has won a single series in Australia until now.

They spent more time at the top of the ICC Test rankings than any team in the 2010-20 decade and any team in Asian history.

These achievements are more significant than winning a CT, a tournament that serves no purpose because winning the CT does not make you world champion in the ODI format and a tournament ICC has tried to kill off numerous times because it serves no purpose and there is no reason for its existence.

Only someone completely delusional would argue that Pakistan have been better than India over the last 10 years because they won the CT and that they won’t trade places with India and achieve what they have achieved. That is utter nonsense.

I get your point, and you make a valid arguement, and im just messing with Indian fans to be honest

but tell me one thing, would you consider Misbah a legend as he took Pakistan to the no.1 rank in test, something which no other captain of Pakistan has ever done?

Always wanted a 3 game series final for tests. But he is talking nonsense about venue, june and enough time nonsense. Fact is If India have played Ashwin and made sensible decision looking at the whole 5 day tests and not on the 1 hour cloud it would have been a interesting final not a one sided affair.

I get your point, and you make a valid arguement, and im just messing with Indian fans to be honest

but tell me one thing, would you consider Misbah a legend as he took Pakistan to the no.1 rank in test, something which no other captain of Pakistan has ever done?

I would have considered him a legendary captain had he maintained the ranking for a long period of time, maybe at least 6 months to a year. However, Pakistan’s ranking only lasted for a few weeks.

But there is no doubt that he was an excellent Test captain who knew how to get results. He was able to maximize his resources much better than any other Pakistan Test captain in recent times.

You want consistency in determining the WTC winner but are failing to see the inconsistency in Rohit's excuses.

If Rohit wants a best of 3 final, why doesn't he ask to change 2 or 4 match Tests in the WTC league to 3 or 5 matches? Why just the final?

Fact is, had India won the WTC, we would not be having this discussion.

As I said, I do not care what Rohit says and where India is placed in the tournament. And you are right, Rohit would've NEVER gave this statement if India had won the Test WC. He would be totally satisfied and very pleased instead. Totally agreed.

A best of three finals is something that I have supported in past for all formats. T20 and ODI as well.

It does not matter to me who is playing the finals.

Kohli cried last year when he lost to NZL fair and square... Now Rohit to Australia atleast they can cross 250 once this time ,should be happy those FTBs..... cry babies as usual... if IPL is important to them than preparing for WTC final be happy about it and dont cry when u lose and find excuses blah blah...

They didnt even put up a fight , Head scored a run a ball 163 , should be very embarrasing....

Salman Butt on this topic:

“Rohit Sharma asked why the final of the World Test Championship takes place in June. He also stated that it should be moved out of England. These are the debates that happen once you don't get favorable results,”

"Instead, we should talk about priorities. If the WTC final was India's priority, they should have finished the IPL before 20 days. They should have sent their squad to England 15 days before the final to play a couple of matches against county teams."

“India have an impressive away record in Tests. However, it has all been downhill since Virat Kohli stepped down as captain. Things haven't been stable since then. They would have won in India anyway, even without having a captain. One can assess captaincy only when the team tours abroad,”

I would have considered him a legendary captain had he maintained the ranking for a long period of time, maybe at least 6 months to a year. However, Pakistan’s ranking only lasted for a few weeks.

But there is no doubt that he was an excellent Test captain who knew how to get results. He was able to maximize his resources much better than any other Pakistan Test captain in recent times.

yet when he achieved it, you called him a legend

I agree WC trumps CT but in no universe is winning a random Test series more important than winning a CT.

Players, careers and records live and die by ICC tournaments and trophies. Use MS Dhoni as an example - he had a mediocre Test career but is still heralded as a legend / national icon alongside Ganguly, Kapil etc. on the basis of winning the 2011 WC and 2013 CT despite having little impact as a player in both tournaments..

Similarly SL became a major cricketing force after winning the 1996 WC - not some random test series that no one remembers..

Here is another example - we have won a Test series in England, India and WI but no one cares :) However every Tom, Dick and Harry knows we won the 1992 WC and 2017 CT.

I don’t know about the Western world but that is how the desi mentality works!

What type of a fan would prefer winning a CT over winning Test series in Australia and South Africa? I’ll tell you, the type of fan whose team haven’t actually won any Test series in Australia and South Africa, but have managed to win the CT, a tournament that holds basically so little prestige that the ICC has been thinking about scraping it for years now.

What type of a fan would prefer winning a CT over winning Test series in Australia and South Africa? I’ll tell you, the type of fan whose team haven’t actually won any Test series in Australia and South Africa, but have managed to win the CT, a tournament that holds basically so little prestige that the ICC has been thinking about scraping it for years now.

All Indian fans before 2019lol

How many times has India won this? :yk3

Sharma should never have been a test player, bloke has no technique. Indian cricketers are hillarious. :))

Sharma should never have been a test player, bloke has no technique. Indian cricketers are hillarious. :))

Once winner, once joint winner with Sri Lanka. Yet you never saw Indian fans gloating about it because we know it’s a tournament with very little value.

Now tell me, how many Test series has Pakistan won in Australia? Forget that, when was the last time Pakistan managed to save a Test match in Australia? The answer is at a time when Javed Miandad had still not retired. That’s right, since then Pakistan has a 100% loss record in Test matches in Australia :))

Rohit is way past his prime. We can't wait to see his back. But in his prime, he was a dynamite ODI batsman. Not much of a Test batsman though.

As a Pakistani, I would want to win WTC instead because trophies are remembered forever. Most people have no idea about series wins of 90s Pakistani team but they always remember the WC win.

But I can see why winning a series in Australia would be considered a bigger achievement for an Asian team.

Not necessarily. James Faulkner was the player of the final in 2015 wc and he became unpickable 1-2 years after that and is largely a forgotten figure now even though he should have started hitting his prime by then. Same thing with Nehra and Munaf after 2011wc.

It's impractical to keep a 1 month window open for all the teams in the test cycle for a potential series that only two of them will end up playing. The cricket schedule is already jampacked and it takes around 25-30 days to get a 3 test series done and most countries can't afford to not schedule any cricket in that time for a series they may or may not end up playing. 1 test match is fine.

It's impractical to keep a 1 month window open for all the teams in the test cycle for a potential series that only two of them will end up playing. The cricket schedule is already jampacked and it takes around 25-30 days to get a 3 test series done and most countries can't afford to not schedule any cricket in that time for a series they may or may not end up playing. 1 test match is fine.

Exactly, 1 Test match is fine, but with quite a few reserve days. You don't want the WTC final to get spoiled by rain.

It is practical to have a wtc 3 match series final, for example this year, the whole of June should be dedicated to the WTC 3 match series final only. If that not possible then have Mid June to Mid July. It had to be a three match series for it to be closer to a championship and a championship final.

But people make a good point that there is no schedule time for this stuff. If bilateral tests and bilateral odis are removed, as t20 franchise leagues are organised/ removed according to where it needs to be removed, a 3 WTC final series (which is only a month!) is possible

Exactly, 1 Test match is fine, but with quite a few reserve days. You don't want the WTC final to get spoiled by rain.

Yes there should be 2 reserve days IMO and the quota of 450 possible overs should be completed.

Yes there should be 2 reserve days IMO and the quota of 450 possible overs should be completed.

I believe this is just the beginning. In the next 10 years, WTC will hold as much significance and prestige as the ODI WC. At least for us fans who grew up loving both Tests and ODI's.

I believe this is just the beginning. In the next 10 years, WTC will hold as much significance and prestige as the ODI WC. At least for us fans who grew up loving both Tests and ODI's.

If that were to happen, then the WTC needs to be best of 3 series. Team play 12 - 20 test matches approx. for a span of 2 years and then just to qualify for one test match final?

It is good that it is just one game. Otherwise India would lose 0-3 if it was 3 game series. Team selection and pat their prime players won't allow India to win anything.

Not necessarily. James Faulkner was the player of the final in 2015 wc and he became unpickable 1-2 years after that and is largely a forgotten figure now even though he should have started hitting his prime by then. Same thing with Nehra and Munaf after 2011wc.

James Faulkner wasn’t the captain and besides, things work differently in the subcontinent.

A subcontinent captain who wins the 50 over World Cup will achieve a cult like status in his country. Although I would agree that perhaps it might lose relevance in the future or might have already because the World Cup has lost a lot of sheen now because of the popularity of the T20 format.

We have a World Cup in a few months and there is zero hype, build up and expectations. In the 90s and 2000s, people would be waiting for years for the World Cup.

Why not 5 test series?

So that you can keep giving chances to Pujara Rahane etc.

James Faulkner wasn’t the captain and besides, things work differently in the subcontinent.

A subcontinent captain who wins the 50 over World Cup will achieve a cult like status in his country. Although I would agree that perhaps it might lose relevance in the future or might have already because the World Cup has lost a lot of sheen now because of the popularity of the T20 format.

We have a World Cup in a few months and there is zero hype, build up and expectations. In the 90s and 2000s, people would be waiting for years for the World Cup.

Things have been different since pandemic and this wc doesn't have enough buildup. the 2011 wc had a great build up and hype. 2015 wc was very quiet in Pak due to our ODI team being at its lowest ebb.

India would have lost even with 3 tests, but that's not meaningful when thinking about it.

I have always said that this format is joke due to one final and having no difference between home and away games when it comes to earning points. Also, you get same points for beating WI and Aus.

Meaningless in big scheme of things. I simply want to see teams winning a big away series against top teams. Not those 2 tests ones. At least 3 tests series.

Maybe the 2 finalists should play their own WTC for the next 2 years to decide the winner. Better yet, how about a lifetime series. Wouldn't that more accurately represent who's the stronger side?

Back