ICC need to seriously look into the Kolpak rule

Amjid Javed

PakPassion's 100,000 posts man
Runs
Post of the Week
I think some teams and some players are starting to take the **** with this so called rule.

Jacques Rudolph may get picked for S.A for test series v Aussies after not wanting to play for his country for 5 years! In last 5 years hes seen fit to collect loads of cash playing for yorkshire. All off a sudden now he wants to make himself available!

Been able to abuse a ruling and basically decide when you want to make yourself available to play for your country is pathetic to say the least1

Whilst i understand the validity off the Rule, i think players pretty much abusing it how they set fit is a serious **** take to the integrity to the game.

I wont even go into South Africa A aka england and how they have used the rule to their advantage.

Also am sure as soon as Rudolph is dropped or retired etc.. he will go back to been a Kolpak player.

As far as am concerned if a player is declared as a Kolpak player and wants to play international cricket again he should have to wait a certain time period to re-qualify to play internationals.

ICC though wont have the balls do do anything in regards to this!

Last edited:
Or extend or loosen this kolpak rule to countries like UAE, Afghanistan, Netherlands & Nepal

Then we will see India A, Pakistan A and South Africa A in these countries

Jacques Rudolph may get picked for S.A for test series v Aussies after not wanting to play for his country for 5 years! In last 5 years hes seen fit to collect loads of cash playing for yorkshire. All off a sudden now he wants to make himself available!

Did he make himself unavailable for SA earlier or he was not selected for the team?

Did he make himself unavailable for SA earlier or he was not selected for the team?

Pretty much u sign up as a kolpak player and you cant play international cricket, so practically gave it up!

Rudolph recalled to Test side after five years

Opening batsman Jacques Rudolph, who played the last of his 35 Tests in August 2006, has been recalled to the South Africa Test squad for the two-match series against Australia. Legspinner Imran Tahir and allrounder Vernon Philander also got their first call-ups to the Test squad.

Rudolph came in for opener Alviro Petersen. Also missing were seaming allrounders Wayne Parnell and Ryan McLaren who were both in the squad for South Africa's last Test, in January against India. Graeme Smith will lead the 14-member squad, and AB de Villiers, who missed the limited-overs leg of the series with a hand fracture sustained during the Champions League, will be his deputy if he clears a fitness examination ahead of the first Test from November 9.

Rudolph went into a self-imposed exile in 2007 when he signed a Kolpak contract with Yorkshire with the aim of developing himself into a more complete cricketer. His recall was widely expected following an impressive return to South African domestic cricket. He scored four centuries and made more than 900 first-class runs last season, before leading a successful South Africa A tour to Zimbabwe. This year, he came into the South African season after scoring centuries for Yorkshire in the Clydesdale Bank 40 and the County Championship. He has since been prolific in the SuperSport Series, where he leads the run-charts with 568 runs from six innings, including a match tally of 297 against Lions in his most recent outing.

"Jacques [Rudolph] will open the batting with Graeme Smith," selection convener Andrew Hudson said. "His experience and current form make him an asset to South Africa and at the age of 30 he has plenty of good years of cricket ahead of him. Jacques has underlined once again the importance of good domestic form and the fact that it is the gateway to national selection."

Petersen might consider his axing harsh, as the Lions captain also started the season well. In four matches so far, he has scored 369 runs, including a knock of 186 against the Dolphins in the first match of the SuperSport Series campaign. He spent the winter at Glamorgam, where he passed the 2000 runs mark and felt he had done enough to keep his place in the Test side. He will get a chance to stake his claim for a recall when he leads the South Africa A side in a four-day tour game against the Australians from November 1. JP Duminy and Philander feature in both squads, while Parnell and McLaren were also included in the A team.

"The A side must be seen as a mix of players challenging for places in the South Africa squad as well as others we have identified as having the potential for the future and whom we now need to test at a higher level than franchise cricket," Hudson said. "We have to explore our options for the future."

Philander previously played for South Africa in seven ODIs and the same number of T20s between 2007 and 2008. He has performed consistently in the first-class competition for the last two seasons. In the 2010-11 season, he was the fourth highest wicket-taker with 35 wickets at an average of 16.11. He is unlikely to play, with Dale Steyn, Morne Morkel and Lonwabo Tsotsobe in the squad, but has been earmarked as a possibility for the future. While he is not an express paceman, he has become noted for his variations, much like Tsotsobe.

Someone who is expected to play is Tahir. The Pakistani-born legspinner became eligible for South Africa in January and was immediately selected for their ODI squad to play India. He made his debut at the World Cup but was initially selected for South Africa's Test squad to play England in the 2009-10 season, when he had not yet qualified. He has been talked up as the missing piece in South Africa's attack, which has not had an attacking spinner since Paul Adams.

Tahir's anticipated inclusion was thought to be the final nail in Harris' coffin, after the left-arm spinner was labelled nothing more than a holding bowler. However, Harris has fought back with impressive showings in his first two SuperSport Series games. His 13 wickets have come at an average of 15.38. On a spin-friendly Newlands pitch, South Africa could field two frontline spinners in a Test match - a rarity for the country that traditionally relies on pace.

South Africa squad: Graeme Smith (capt), AB de Villiers (vice-capt), Hashim Amla, Mark Boucher (wk), JP Duminy, Paul Harris, Imran Tahir, Jacques Kallis, Morne Morkel, Vernon Philander, Ashwell Prince, Jacques Rudolph, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe

South Africa A squad: Alviro Petersen (capt), Farhaan Behardien, Marchant de Lange, JP Duminy, Dean Elgar, Heino Kuhn, Pumelela Matshikwe, Ryan McLaren, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Vernon Philander, Stiaan van Zyl

http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-australia-2011/content/current/story/537540.html

Petersen might consider his axing harsh, as the Lions captain also started the season well.
xiao3.jpg

xiao1.jpg
xiao2.jpg

I don`t see a problem. If he had played for England and then wanted to play for SA then it would be ridiculous.

Why has peterson been dropped? from what i recall he played very well during his time in the squad... weird selection.

Edit: just checked his average and its only 33 which tbh is a lot lower than i expected his to be.

Last edited:
There seems to still be quite a bit of anger amongst some English players when it comes to this rule. Players having a full international career and then retiring from national duties and going Kolpak appears a bit unfair to me too. The OP makes a valid point - there needs be a specific gap between players going from Kolpak to International and vice versa.

Gale charged with racist abuse after 'Kolpak' outburst

Yorkshire's captain Andrew Gale has become the first county cricketer to be accused of a racism offence after he was charged on Wednesday by the ECB for a confrontation with Ashwell Prince in the Roses match which included a rejoinder to return to his own country, followed by a disparaging use of the term "Kolpak".

ESPNcricinfo revealed that the Kolpak term was under investigation by the ECB hours as Gale was barred from collecting the Championship trophy on Yorkshire's behalf following their clinching of the title with victory against Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge.

Now the Daily Telegraph has confirmed that the ECB intends to press ahead with the charge in defiance of Yorkshire's fury.

The ECB's charge will be that Gale used abusive language with racist connotations when the case the governing body laid itself is heard by its own disciplinary committee.

Yorkshire are assembling a legal team to contest the charge, which has left relationships between the county and the ECB - historically, often shaky - at their lowest levels for years and soured celebrations of their first Championship title for 13 years

The hearing could take place next week with Gale anticipating a Level 3 charge.

Gale's outburst came against Prince, Lancashire's South African batsman, who qualifies to play domestic cricket by virtue of the Kolpak rule, on the third evening of the Roses match on September 3.

Gale had become increasingly incensed at OId Trafford by Prince's sledging and timewasting as Yorkshire pushed for victory. As tempers flared, Prince told Gale to get back to his fielding position, Gale's rejoinder to Prince was that he should get back to his own country and included a reference to Prince's Kolpak status. There was a dose of bad language on both sides.

The umpires brought a Level 2 charge and Gale was suspended for two matches but the ECB was not satisfied that the affair had been sternly enough dealt with.

Prince's immediate on-field gesticulations indicated that he viewed the outburst as having racist overtones, and as a Cape Coloured South African immersed in South Africa's apartheid history, his response was perhaps not altogether surprising.

Yorkshire will contend that there is no country, nor racial origin for Kolpaks - it is simply a descriptive term for those from many countries who are playing in county cricket because of reciprocal EU trade agreements.

The ECB itself has lobbied hard against Kolpak registrations, with some success, and some senior officials have not always referred to their presence in county cricket a decorous manner. They, though, are not on trial.

The ECB, led by the chairman Giles Clarke, is adamant that its task is to uphold behavioural standards in the game and removing the scourge of racism from cricket is a noble aim. Whether Gale's outburst can be fairly regarded in that vein, and whether this is can be regarded as a sensible occasion on which to make a stand, will now be fought out by the lawyers.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2014/content/story/781849.html

This Kolpak rule was brought by the European Parliament and its pathetic.While the ECB may be under law to accept it ICC mustnt allow this.This is how England have poached players.

I think some teams and some players are starting to take the **** with this so called rule.

Been able to abuse a ruling and basically decide when you want to make yourself available to play for your country is pathetic to say the least1

Whilst i understand the validity off the Rule, i think players pretty much abusing it how they set fit is a serious **** take to the integrity to the game.

I wont even go into South Africa A aka england and how they have used the rule to their advantage.

Also am sure as soon as Rudolph is dropped or retired etc.. he will go back to been a Kolpak player.

As far as am concerned if a player is declared as a Kolpak player and wants to play international cricket again he should have to wait a certain time period to re-qualify to play internationals.

ICC though wont have the balls do do anything in regards to this!

The irony here is hilarious.

Kolpak is a free trade agreement. In other words, it's a government regulation designed to escape precisely ICC and others from deciding what players do with their own careers. They should not be slaves to your whims and it's not for you to decide what he wants to play and if he now chooses to play internationals that's fine.

This is why international cricket should never be the biggest form of the game. It causes artificial demand/supply barriers, creates a monopsony (where there is only one person who can hire any worker) and allows exploitation of workers. All this ensure is that the game remains small and the most talented people will play something else.

Gale's rejoinder to Prince was that he should get back to his own country and included a reference to Prince's Kolpak status. There was a dose of bad language on both sides.

What is racist about it? It's true. Ashwell Prince is a Kolpak player. He played for South Africa for 5+ years. He is only a domestic player based on a technicality. Not like he is telling Ashwell to go back home cause the color of his skin or his name being Asian (now THAT would be racist). He is telling him based off a technicality.

Good Yorkshire are fighting it.

Can anyone explain me the rule? Why are only South Africans who make use of it? [MENTION=7898]Gabbar Singh[/MENTION] [MENTION=16]Amjid Javed[/MENTION] [MENTION=62431]A[/MENTION]nyonelese

Can anyone explain me the rule? Why are only South Africans who make use of it? [MENTION=7898]Gabbar Singh[/MENTION] [MENTION=16]Amjid Javed[/MENTION] [MENTION=62431]A[/MENTION]nyonelese

All those Sa who manage to get an EU country passport. Quite a few south africans still qualify for british or dutch passports because of grandparents.

Or they can marry an EU citizen and get a passport that way.

Til recently, dernbach's was actually travelling on italian passpor whilst playing for england!

Last edited:
All those Sa who manage to get an EU country passport. Quite a few south africans still qualify for british or dutch passports because of grandparents.

Or they can marry an EU citizen and get a passport that way.

Til recently, dernbach's was actually travelling on italian passpor whilst playing for england!

so someone like Azhar Mahmood or Yasir Arafat are Kolpak too?

The irony here is hilarious.

Kolpak is a free trade agreement. In other words, it's a government regulation designed to escape precisely ICC and others from deciding what players do with their own careers. They should not be slaves to your whims and it's not for you to decide what he wants to play and if he now chooses to play internationals that's fine.

This is why international cricket should never be the biggest form of the game. It causes artificial demand/supply barriers, creates a monopsony (where there is only one person who can hire any worker) and allows exploitation of workers. All this ensure is that the game remains small and the most talented people will play something else.

Way to miss the point, this isn't commerce it's national representation. Next up you can complain it is discrimination that only Indian players can play for India. After that that fast bowling breaches OH&S regulations.

It is a privilege afforded to very few to represent your country not a right. Are the Olympics a monosopony? And unfortunately for your perspective (which I do understand) people like to watch sport where their nation is playing. Not when Coke plays Pepsi.

Way to miss the point, this isn't commerce it's national representation. Next up you can complain it is discrimination that only Indian players can play for India. After that that fast bowling breaches OH&S regulations.

It is a privilege afforded to very few to represent your country not a right. Are the Olympics a monosopony? And unfortunately for your perspective (which I do understand) people like to watch sport where their nation is playing. Not when Coke plays Pepsi.

:)))

:)))
I'd support Coke any day of the week though ;-)

The Poms have just stolen Sam Hain from us. Apparently he wanted to play for England since he was 14 (despite being born in Hong Kong, growing up in Australia and playing for Australias U19s).

The Poms have just stolen Sam Hain from us. Apparently he wanted to play for England since he was 14 (despite being born in Hong Kong, growing up in Australia and playing for Australias U19s).

Outstanding stats, for someone just 19 & born in Hong Kong. $ century with a double after starting FC career at 18 & I believe he played all of his FC matches in AUS domestics & County. How good is he really?

Batting and fielding averages
Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 4s 6s Ct St
First-class 11 17 2 812 208 54.13 1710 47.48 4 1 93 3 6 0

Outstanding stats, for someone just 19 & born in Hong Kong. $ century with a double after starting FC career at 18 & I believe he played all of his FC matches in AUS domestics & County. How good is he really?

He hasn't played any First Class, List A or T20 matches in Australia

He hasn't played any First Class, List A or T20 matches in Australia

Morne Morkel will consider Kolpak deal if he's not part of SA plans for the 2019 World Cup

Morne Morkel will consider a Kolpak deal next year if he is not part of coach Ottis Gibson’s plans for the 2019 World Cup in England.

Speaking at SuperSport Park where he is playing for the Titans in the Sunfoil Series four-day match against the Dolphins‚ the experienced fast bowler said he would have a conversation with Gibson to get clarity on a few things before making a decision.

“I am 32 and it is one of the conversations I am going to have with Ottis to find out where I fit in with white ball cricket‚ and if there are any plans for me in 2019‚" said Morkel‚ also adding that his place in the Test side is not guaranteed when Vernon Philander‚ Dale Steyn and Kagiso Rabada are fit.

"Are they going to look to rebuild for the World Cup?

"I need to see what is going to happen. Am I going to miss out?

“I don’t know when they are going to make the shift of bringing in younger players‚ those are all the things that must be communicated.

"As long as there is communications and things are clear‚ I can’t afford to sit on the sidelines for the next two years and not play cricket.

"It is all about timing and communication.

"I need to know what is their thinking for the next two years.

"I have a one-year contract with Cricket South Africa (CSA).”

Morkel‚ who has represented South Africa in 78 Tests‚ 112 ODIs and 44 T20s‚ said communication between all the parties is important as he needs to consider all his options.

“Obviously you need to look at options.

"The most important thing is communication from the top to create a situation where we know where we stand.

"That is the main thing that we ask for as players.

"At the end of the day as a cricketer you need to look at the options because we have a life span. But if there is communication and you know where you stand‚ then it is easier for everyone.”

Morkel has pledged his full attention to spending summer with the Proteas‚ which includes clashes against Bangladesh (starting on Thursday in Potchfstroom)‚ India and Australia.

“If my time is up and they want to move on‚ unfortunately that will be it.

"At the moment‚ I can only work hard and fight for my spot in the team.

"This is a cutthroat environment.

"There are a lot of guys knocking on the door but it’s a nice thing because it keeps me motivated and working hard.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/c...a-coach-gibsons-plans-for-the-2019-world-cup/

He's been bowling well.

Surely has to be part of the South Africa squad for 2019 World Cup.

Just goes to show how much ODI World Cup matters to the South Africa be Cricketers and they would rather retire than play in Tests only.

ODI WC is their ultimate aim.

Just goes to show how much ODI World Cup matters to the South Africa be Cricketers and they would rather retire than play in Tests only.

ODI WC is their ultimate aim.

kallis retired from tests to keep himself fit for the 2015 world cup

de villiers has been missing tests in order to keep himself fresh for the 2019 world cup

and now morkel is ready to quit international cricket if he is not part of the team for the 2019 world cup

clearly the south african cricketers don't agree with the notion that test cricket is the real deal

lets see how the so called "purists" and "real cricketer followers" react to this :))

kallis retired from tests to keep himself fit for the 2015 world cup

de villiers has been missing tests in order to keep himself fresh for the 2019 world cup

and now morkel is ready to quit international cricket if he is not part of the team for the 2019 world cup

clearly the south african cricketers don't agree with the notion that test cricket is the real deal

lets see how the so called "purists" and "real cricketer followers" react to this :))

Have you considered that it's because they've already achieved everything there is to achieve in Test cricket?

The Smith/Kallis/Amla/AB/Steyn/Morkel generation saw the SA team ranked #1 for long periods. They won Test series all over the world. Nothing left to prove.

They are still called chokers for their (lack of) limited-overs exploits and it's only natural that they would want to rectify that if possible.

Jason Holder calls for minimum wage to halt Kolpak exodus

West Indies captain Jason Holder has called for a minimum wage for international cricketers, describing Duanne Olivier’s Kolpak deal with Yorkshire as “really sad to see”.

The seamer’s decision to call time on his South Africa career at the age of just 26 following a breakthrough year with the 
Proteas has caused quite a stir, widening debates about the long-term health of the international game.

Olivier is the latest in a long list of capped players who have opted for the financial security of domestic deals in county cricket ahead of further opportunities on the world stage, a talent drain that does not appear sustainable.

The West Indies have had problems of their own, with their top talents sometimes favouring lucrative Twenty20 deals at the expense of lesser-paid international prospects.

Holder reacted with disappointment, but understanding, to news of Olivier’s decision and believes measures must be put in place at the highest level to put an end to the situation.

“It’s really sad to see another quality player lost to Kolpak cricket,” he said.

“I don’t know what the International Cricket Council can do to better compensate players for playing Test cricket, maybe setting a minimum wage for Test cricket so players can fulfil their country’s needs by playing in the longer formats.

“There’s so much prestige behind it and so much work behind it, I can only hope we can find some common ground where players are properly compensated and encouraged to play Test cricket as opposed to running off to domestic leagues.

“Until something is properly done to keep players a little bit more grounded financially I don’t know how much longer you can continue putting up the front.

“We as players have to make our own decisions and have to live with the consequences.

“I don’t judge people for their decisions.”

Holder revealed he had been involved in discussions with the international players’ union, FICA, to push for his proposed central funding model.

“Personally I have had a few conversations with people at FICA, they are doing a hell of a job trying to get a level playing field for everyone,” he said.

“I don’t know if we’ll get there as soon as we like but hopefully in the not too distant future we can find common ground where players are playing for their countries and also have time to play in domestic leagues.”

Tony Irish, executive chairman of FICA, shares much of Holder’s assessment and believes a minimum international wage could be part of the long-term solution.

“I agree that it is sad when a player such as Duanne is lost to international cricket but one also has to understand that the Kolpak situation is similar to the issue of free agency in cricket,” he said.

“In both, a player is free to exercise a choice as to where and how he plies his trade. Players are often blamed for the choices they make but the system is set up to allow those choices.

“Jason’s suggestion of minimum match fees for international cricket would assist the 
situation and may just be one component.

“There isn’t one simple solution, and it’s not always only financial, but ensuring that players are incentivised to continue to play international cricket is certainly part of it.”

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spo...uanne-olivier-s-switch-to-yorkshire-1-9622843

I think he's right, that could & should be part of a solution.

History shows that the rich countries (India, England, Oz) will never give up their slice of the pie to help smaller nations though- self interest rules, no matter how short sighted it is.

(witness recent deals in English & Oz where most cricket his now hidden from public view behind a paywall in countries where MOST do not have pay TV subscription- this will kill the game there slowly but short term CEO's get to trumpet the cash on the short term deal)

Cricket would rather go the way of the Ligue 1, Serie A and La Liga in that a couple of teams will have most of the money hurting the game or league overall :facepalm:

Very simple solution is for Cricket South Africa to request the South African govt to talk with the EU and urge them to get cricketers exempted

Should ICC look to nullify ECB’s Kolpak advantage?

Players from every random country coming in, were we playing England or a World XI?

Roy from SA, Archer from WI, Stokes from NZ. Who knows how many others.

ICC should look into this as this isn’t really fair. Countries like Pakistan and India can’t afford to import players like this, who would want to give up first world living standards to move to a third world country like Pak or India just to play for them?

Not to mention SA losing its top talent to England every year by the handful with many promising players going to county and whatnot.

They have a larger pool of quality players to choose from, players who are not even in their system.

We already have the IPL factor, but this is the other injustice going on right now in world cricket.

Half of Roy's, Stokes's and Archer's family are British. Roy and Stokes moved here as young kids. When Archer started playing in England he wasn't good enough to get in the West Indies U19 team, was massively troubled by continuous injuries and was even bowling spin. It would be ridiculous to argue that the English system didn't make massive contributions (or even the major contribution in most cases) to these players.

The ICC cannot dictate international law.

Last edited:
Morgan was ‘borrowed’ from Ireland. Ireland need him back

Curran’s all from Zimbabwe

Pollock slams South Africa cricketers for preferring Kolpak over country

South Africa great Shaun Pollock is concerned about players at their peak choosing county cricket over the national team in his country but says it is a problem “you can’t fix as sport has become business”.

Earlier this year, 27-year-old pacer Duanne Oliver took the Kolpak deal after playing just 10 Tests for South Africa. Another fast bowler, Kyle Abbott had done the same in 2017. Morne Morkel too signed a Kolpak deal to play in county cricket but that was after he announced retirement as a 33-year-old last year.

The Kolpak deal allows players from countries with free trade deals with the European Union to play cricket in any EU country without being considered an overseas player. They can sign up with English counties without being considered overseas players.

“Well you want to have as many players to pick from and you can’t fix it (this problem). That is how it is in the modern day. In the old days there wasn’t much financial gain in playing sport. People just made themselves available playing for the country. Now it is business,” Pollock told PTI on Friday.

Since 2004, South Africa has had the maximum number of Kolpak players but two which hurt them in recent times were pacers Abbott and Oliver.

“They have to make business decisions, where they are going to make money, where they are going to get opportunities and you can’t fight against it. If they feel they are not going to play for South Africa for a period of time and decide to go elsewhere, it is unfortunate,” said the 46-year-old former South Africa captain who featured in 108 Tests and 303 ODIs. “It is not ideal because strength comes from depth and when your depth gets taken away it gets more challenging,”

Cricket South Africa also has a quota system in place which requires the national team to field an average of six players of colour over the course of a season. Besides players opting for “greener pastures”, retirements by greats like AB de Villiers, Hashim Amla and Dale Steyn have also hurt the national team.

“I think we have just a lot a big players retiring over the last few years. Rebuilding takes time, getting the guys to become big players, when you lose the likes of de Villiers, Amla, Steyn, you can’t replace them overnight.”

South Africa put on an unexpected fightback on day three of the first Test against India through Dean Elgar and skipper Faf du Plessis. Pollock said he expected his team to bounce back.

“I did expect a fight but how successful they will be I wasn’t sure. I did expect it from the most experienced campaigners in Elgar and du Plessis. None of the guys who got out yesterday have been to India before but it is still a big ask to come here and you do learn your lessons,” he reasoned. “When you are faced with a problem for the first time you know you can learn a massive amount, what the bowlers do with the ball and things like that.”

Barring Vernon Philander, none of the pacers troubled the Indian batsmen including Kagiso Rabada. One of best all-rounders to have played the game, Pollock expects the fast bowlers to improve significantly over the course of the three-Test series.

“…you have not played Test cricket for six months and you come here and these conditions are flat. They will start to work things out. By the next Test it will get better and by the last game plans will be perfect,” he added. “You have a small window of opportunity (to take wickets) in these conditions. The first eight overs and when the ball is reversing are important.”
https://www.cricketcountry.com/news...ers-for-preferring-kolpak-over-country-897294

Players from every random country coming in, were we playing England or a World XI?

Roy from SA, Archer from WI, Stokes from NZ. Who knows how many others.

ICC should look into this as this isn’t really fair. Countries like Pakistan and India can’t afford to import players like this, who would want to give up first world living standards to move to a third world country like Pak or India just to play for them?

Not to mention SA losing its top talent to England every year by the handful with many promising players going to county and whatnot.

They have a larger pool of quality players to choose from, players who are not even in their system.

We already have the IPL factor, but this is the other injustice going on right now in world cricket.

Those guys are not Kolpaks. Archer holds British citizenship through his father. Barbados failed to bring him through but Sussex CCC did. Stokes and Roy have lived in England since they were ten.

What will happen to Kolpak after Brexit?

Can anyone with legal background share information?

How are Farhan and Philander able to sign Kolpak deals if there UK isn’t with EU anymore?

Kolpak: PCA would back two overseas players per county post-Brexit

The Professional Cricketers' Association would support two overseas players per club in all formats from 2021 to allow Kolpak signings chances to continue playing county cricket.

Following Brexit, the England and Wales Cricket Board has advised counties that Kolpak registrations will be terminated at the end of the 2020 season.

The agreement is in line with the deal the UK secured with the European Union.

Kolpak deals have been used since 2004 for players mainly from South Africa.

Counties are already permitted to have two overseas players in the T20 Blast - but have been restricted to one in all other competitions, including the Championship, since 2007.

Kolpak contracts are named after Slovak handball player Marius Kolpak, who won a landmark case at the European Court of Justice in 2003.

They allow sportsmen from countries with associate trade agreements with the EU, such as South Africa, Zimbabwe and Caribbean nations to be afforded the same right to free movement as EU citizens.

Kolpak players are not classed as overseas players by the England and Wales Cricket Board under the terms of their contracts, but they become ineligible to represent their country at international level.

There are currently 17 South African players under Kolpak contracts for the 2020 season.

A number of those, including Essex off spinner Simon Harmer and Hampshire fast bowler Kyle Abbott, agreed deals beyond 2020 towards the end of last season.

Somerset have also recently signed South africa seamer Vernon Philander on a two-year Kolpak contract and Surrey have brought in his fellow countryman Hashim Amla on a similar deal.

Overseas players who hold UK passports or who have settled or pre-settled status will continue to have their rights to play as a "local cricketer" protected past 2020.

PCA chairman and Worcestershire opening batsman Daryl Mitchell said Brexit has caused a "number of sensitive issues" for members over the past three years.

"It's been a frustrating process for many, but fortunately we're now able to offer some clarity," he said.

"We must acknowledge and consider the human element of those players who've made commitments and signed contracts beyond 2020 and the effect this outcome will have on those individuals.

"Our view is increasing overseas players to two per county in the County Championship and One-Day Cup would be a positive outcome.

"This would allow opportunities for these players to continue their careers in England and help to maintain standards in the county game."

The ECB's new competition, The Hundred, which makes its debut this summer will feature three overseas players per team.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/51387075

SAF Cricket is saved!!!!

I read lots of negative comments regarding their quota system, but the problem isn't quota actually. Rather it was the back door kept open by Counties that allowed white SAF players a fall back plan. Until late 1990s, Counties were allowed almost unlimited foreigners, which allowed them to hire best talents from the global market. Once it was blocked by PCA, England simply didn't have enough domestic players to serve 18 Counties and still maintain quality (to pull crowd) - Kolpak gave them a chance to bypass the PCA quota (1 player) and still bring players from abroad.

For white SAF cricketers, it was just a way to escape from a country they don't own, neither are proud of, and they will use the quota system to justify their act. Even if they guarantee 11 white players, the 12th one an afterwards will leave SAF, therefore I don't think quota is an excuse. For example, this body builder guy Pieater Mallan - he was given enough chances, but he failed to cement his spot, now he might use the quota system as an excuse to leave SAF.

SAF Cricket is saved!!!!

I read lots of negative comments regarding their quota system, but the problem isn't quota actually. Rather it was the back door kept open by Counties that allowed white SAF players a fall back plan. Until late 1990s, Counties were allowed almost unlimited foreigners, which allowed them to hire best talents from the global market. Once it was blocked by PCA, England simply didn't have enough domestic players to serve 18 Counties and still maintain quality (to pull crowd) - Kolpak gave them a chance to bypass the PCA quota (1 player) and still bring players from abroad.

For white SAF cricketers, it was just a way to escape from a country they don't own, neither are proud of, and they will use the quota system to justify their act. Even if they guarantee 11 white players, the 12th one an afterwards will leave SAF, therefore I don't think quota is an excuse. For example, this body builder guy Pieater Mallan - he was given enough chances, but he failed to cement his spot, now he might use the quota system as an excuse to leave SAF.

I have been saying that for ages. Only the best get to play for south africa. It's just that the best isn't good enough at present. They will bound back in the future. They have a strong sporting culture.

Back