ICC needs to abolish bilateral ODI series and play more of tri/quadrangular series

shah_1

Senior T20I Player
Runs
These tri series like WI/Zim/SL are far more fun than these boring bilateral ODI series. I remember the Sharjah cup, it used be quite an event. We need more events like that.

Do you agree?

Its a great idea. More interesting, more games and can also try more players out. I'm for it.

Yes, they were a staple of ODI cricket in the 80s and 90s and makes a welcome change from endless bilaterals. At least something is at stake in every match.

I think one of the reasons why tri-series went out of vogue was because the matches not involving the home team sometimes wouldn't draw crowds.

These tri series are also good as they're being played on relatively balanced pitches and not snoozefest belters.

Regular tri series is a good idea. Wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

Yes, they were a staple of ODI cricket in the 80s and 90s and makes a welcome change from endless bilaterals. At least something is at stake in every match.

I think one of the reasons why tri-series went out of vogue was because the matches not involving the home team sometimes wouldn't draw crowds.

Only place where this probably would not pose an issue is England. Esp if you had teams like India, Pak involved.

Only work when there are 3 /4 competitive teams participating as well - no point having a tri-series involving 2 strong teams, and say Ireland for example. No offence to Ireland of course.

Maybe. As long as ODIs still played, it's fine. These series are all important. They help teams prepare for the WC.

But UAE type slow pitches must be discarded, and the outfields must be lightning quick. This will even make bilateral series entertaining.

Only place where this probably would not pose an issue is England. Esp if you had teams like India, Pak involved.

Only work when there are 3 /4 competitive teams participating as well - no point having a tri-series involving 2 strong teams, and say Ireland for example. No offence to Ireland of course.

i think it should be played like every team should play atleat 1 tri series every year....should not be overdosed....

It's a great idea, but only can work in a revenue sharing model - otherwise, touring teams would like to use that time for exchanging bi-laterals. In most countries, Cricket is a dying sports, hence hardly any neutral (matches not involving hosts) match is commercially viable, unless it involves IND. Only way a neutral match can have financial positive is involving IND, therefore even the best triangular (WSC) was closed after 2005-06 season & the Triangular format only returns those years when IND tours that year. UAE was another great neutral venue - died in few years time when IND decided not to tour.

In recent times, apart from WSC, I think, I have seen one Tri Series in WI (Again IND was one of the 3 teams) & this one in ZIM. We'll have to understand that the Cricket market is dominated by South Asia, particularly IND; hence only way a Tri (Or more than 3 teams) Series is possible in places where there are lots of Asian crowd - most where, Indian crowd out numbers the host these days. But, it'll not work in IND without PAK being one team, because the neutral matches won't have any appeal; might not work in AUS, NZ & SAF as well without IND being one team. Only places, where a Tri series can work (Excluding UAE) is probably in ENG, BD and ........ may be Canada (Toronto) - provided that, 2 of IND, PAK, SRL & BD are 2 teams of the 3.

ICC will need to let go of the bilateral series at some point because eventually they won't be financially viable. Another way to give meaning to the the bilateral series is count the wins and everything towards World Cup qualification but then all teams will need to have played equal matches which won't be possible under the current financial structure. I believe if cricket is going to survive, it will come down to franchise based model.

Yep, I love it. Bilaterals should still stay but I'd love to see more of these mini tournaments, makes games have more context and all around more entertaining.

I think we can even have a tri test series honestly, would be fun to see.

Yep, I love it. Bilaterals should still stay but I'd love to see more of these mini tournaments, makes games have more context and all around more entertaining.

I think we can even have a tri test series honestly, would be fun to see.

That would be like 3 months long. :D

It's a great idea, but only can work in a revenue sharing model - otherwise, touring teams would like to use that time for exchanging bi-laterals. In most countries, Cricket is a dying sports, hence hardly any neutral (matches not involving hosts) match is commercially viable, unless it involves IND. Only way a neutral match can have financial positive is involving IND, therefore even the best triangular (WSC) was closed after 2005-06 season & the Triangular format only returns those years when IND tours that year. UAE was another great neutral venue - died in few years time when IND decided not to tour.

In recent times, apart from WSC, I think, I have seen one Tri Series in WI (Again IND was one of the 3 teams) & this one in ZIM. We'll have to understand that the Cricket market is dominated by South Asia, particularly IND; hence only way a Tri (Or more than 3 teams) Series is possible in places where there are lots of Asian crowd - most where, Indian crowd out numbers the host these days. But, it'll not work in IND without PAK being one team, because the neutral matches won't have any appeal; might not work in AUS, NZ & SAF as well without IND being one team. Only places, where a Tri series can work (Excluding UAE) is probably in ENG, BD and ........ may be Canada (Toronto) - provided that, 2 of IND, PAK, SRL & BD are 2 teams of the 3.

Asia cup in Toronto would be a blast. I think for sure we'll have one sometime in a decade. We hosted SL,Pak,Zimb and Canada Quadrangular series it was scheduled in a horrible time and rushed but the tournament still went well.

Depends how many times each team plays each other, if they play only once then it could take just under 4 weeks. Sounds long but someone like England plays 7 tests just in their home summer being potentially from May to mid September, so schedule wise it is possible. Not likely to happen, I know but an exciting idea.

[/B]

Asia cup in Toronto would be a blast. I think for sure we'll have one sometime in a decade. We hosted SL,Pak,Zimb and Canada Quadrangular series it was scheduled in a horrible time and rushed but the tournament still went well.

Instead of King City, they need to find a venue near Toronto, preferably in East side, either close to 401, DVP or walking distance from any Sub-way Station. That Wilson Road stadium is also not large or suitable enough for ODI & not many South Asian living there. An Asia Cup in Toronto will be sell out for 35K venue if it's arranged & best available XV participates. Also, best time to play cricket in Toronto (JUN-AUG) is off season in South Asia - matches can start as early as 9AM, which is around 5:30-6:30PM is South Asia, for a 2-3AM finish.

Not that long - 3 teams in a double league will have 6 Tests. If I take 8 days' slot (5 day + 3 day in between), it'll take exactly 45 days of 6 rounds - add 1 week for preparation (a 3 day match each at same time with local teams) + another 8 days for the grand Final (can be 6 Day Test to ensure there is a winner on a good wicket). That's exactly 2 months & 7 Tests. Each team playing 4 Tests in 45 days, which is more than enough enough time to recover for the Final.

In 1912, ENG-AUS-SAF played a triangular (6 Tests each), in ENG, which was a sell-out hit. Unfortunately war broke out within couple of years & the following tournaments (planned in Aussie season on 1914-15, SAF season of 1915-16 & ENG summer of 1917) was cancelled.

Tri-series wont get the crowds in if its a neutral match unless the other 2 teams are top drawer; Though miss tournaments like Titan Cup and Hero Cup, held in India, or in fact for our Bhaijaans, Independence cup :p

One thing I've realised is that Pak hasn't played a Tri-series in a LONG time. Other countries including WI have actually played them which is weird.

Back