ICC World Cup 2019 Preview: Can Bangladesh’s 'Green Tigers' surprise the rest of the world?

Liton pleased with how Bangladesh competed in English conditions at the World Cup

Holding their own in unfamiliar conditions is a positive to savour for batsman Liton Das despite Bangladesh’s ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup ending at Lord’s.

The semi-finals proved a step too far for the Tigers, a 94-run defeat by Pakistan closing out a tournament that had its ups and downs.

Plus points were plentiful, both individually and as a team, but for Liton it’s the way they handled the unknown that will likely prove to be the most pleasing.

Wins against South Africa and West Indies saw Bangladesh firing while each of the four semi-finalists were tested by a side more accustomed to slower, lower pitches in Asia.

Match those performances and results will follow sooner rather than later in the eyes of Liton as they switch their focus to the future.

“This has not been a bad tournament, there were a lot of close games, there are lots of positives we can take,” said the 24-year-old.

“We’ve come to different conditions and proven that we can win matches, that we can play against the top opposition.

“We beat South Africa and West Indies here in conditions that are not easy for us, we ran Australia, India and New Zealand close, and that’s a big positive.

“It shows that we can play all around the world and we should take a lot of confidence from that. It can stand us in good stead for future tours and other competitions, knowing that we are capable of adapting and playing good cricket.

“We had some stand-out performers, Shakib Al Hasan was were very impressive and it’s really great to be able to take that going forward.”

Liton’s tournament began in near perfect fashion, striking an unbeaten 94 as he and Shakib guided their side to a seven-wicket win over West Indies at Taunton that made others stand up and take note.

But where Shakib kept up the form, wicketkeeper-batsman Liton was unable to follow suit, with the 32 he made against Pakistan proving to be his next best score of the tournament.

Consistency is therefore the ultimate aim for a man who scored 121 against India in last year’s Asia Cup final, looking to put the talent to good use on a more regular basis.

“I didn’t live up to my expectations, I scored a few 20s or 30s but if I had got that up to 50 or 60 if not more, that could have made a big difference to the team,” he added.

“It’s quite disappointing not to contribute in the way that I would have liked, it wasn’t the manner I hoped for, you need some luck along the way but I didn’t feel I played the way I know I can.

“I had some okay performances but I wanted a lot more to be able to help my team to wins.

“Shakib has played very well but we lost out in some of the partnerships and weren’t able to support him as much as we would have liked.”

Poor show by Bangladesh. If they don't want to be treated like minnows they should stop thinking like ones. How can Liton be content with 3 wins? They need to stop feeling proud of "good enough" performances. They did well enough reaching the CT semis but this WC was a really bad one for bangladesh. They seem to lack the "winning gene" South Africa and Newzealand keep missing out on. Without a tournament win or atleast seem like major contenders for the title nobody can take Bangla seriously. Shakib won't be around forever. What then?

BD started the campaign well but wheels fell off at the end. Overall, it was a disappointing performance. Only Shakib and Mustafiz were exceptional; rest were average or below-average.

BD got some works to do. They need to sort out fielding issues. Too many dropped catches and missed chances.

Bangladesh campaign would have looked great had they defeated Pakistan in their last match which would have taken then to fifth position in the table. Tame loss against Pakistan has taken much of the sheen of from the brilliant performances of their earlier matches.

When one observes closely, one finds that it was Shakib who singlehandedly carried the burden of Bangladeshi batting on his shoulders without much support from others. And the bowling of Bangladesh was nothing much to write home about.

This set of players were apparently the greatest set of cricketers in their cricketing history (with vast experience) that represented Bangladesh in a world cup. But sadly, records will show that they only finished seventh in the tournament, which is no improvement from their performances in the earlier world cup tournaments.

I thought that the Bangladesh team played very well and produced lots of very good cricket throughout this ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup.

It would have been good for them to end on a high by beating Pakistan but it wasn’t to be. That’s ok though because the boys played very nicely all tournament.

Ultimately, they missed out on the semi-finals and it will take them a while to get closer to very the top teams like England, Australia and India but they’ve got four years to do it before the next World Cup and I think that is enough time.

Bangladesh are playing good cricket but if they want to catch the big fish, there are still lots of things to do.

To beat those teams regularly, I think they need the middle order batsmen to start performing more consistently.

Shakib Al Hasan played really well when we were batting but if you see our middle order, they couldn’t always back him up. At the moment, a lot of them are young players though

I’m sure in the next World Cup, these boys will play like Shakib and score big runs regularly.

While we will improve, Australia, India and England will definitely improve too, so we’ll have to work a bit harder than them.

Our team is in very good shape at this moment, if they keep working hard then I’m sure they will do very good things.

It was very nice for Shakib to end with another half-century against Pakistan because he played amazingly through the whole World Cup.

It was just brilliant – he scored runs in each and every match, he picked up a few wickets and he was fantastic in the field as well.

To score two centuries and then five more 50s is absolutely incredible. He has always been a great all-rounder but in this tournament, he showed the world that he is the number one all-rounder.

There are so many players that did decent jobs for Bangladesh but what Shakib did was really special.

Mustafizur Rahman was another player who impressed me. In these conditions and at this time of year in England, it’s really, really difficult to take five wickets in an innings.

He did that twice in a row – against India and Pakistan – to finish the World Cup and he proved himself in each and every match.

He was a bit injured before the World Cup, he didn’t have enough time to recover fully but you wouldn’t be able to tell he had any issues.

Liton Das is another very good young player and he played well in his first World Cup. He didn’t make big runs in every game but he was fantastic against the West Indies especially, when he made an unbeaten 94.

He’s a young, upcoming player, so to be playing in such a big tournament will do him the world of good.

It’s very difficult for any player perform in each and every game like Shakib did but he has a bright future.

If Bangladesh had qualified for the semi-finals it would have been a great thing but they should still be very, very happy because the boys did a really, really good job at the World Cup.

Finished eighth (and not seventh) out of ten teams. That too when Shakib had an all time great allround performance. But Shakib efforts were largely wasted as he received little support from others. Bangladesh did not have the motivation to defeat a confused and disoriented Pakistan in their last group match. So, what could have been number 5 finish ended up as number 8 finish in the end only ahead of West Indies and Afghanistan.

Abdur Razzak: Bangladesh played well at the World Cup but there is work to do in the next four years if they want to catch the big teams

I thought that the Bangladesh team played very well and produced lots of very good cricket throughout this ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup.

It would have been good for them to end on a high by beating Pakistan but it wasn’t to be. That’s ok though because the boys played very nicely all tournament.

Ultimately, they missed out on the semi-finals and it will take them a while to get closer to very the top teams like England, Australia and India but they’ve got four years to do it before the next World Cup and I think that is enough time.

Bangladesh are playing good cricket but if they want to catch the big fish, there are still lots of things to do.

To beat those teams regularly, I think they need the middle order batsmen to start performing more consistently.

Shakib Al Hasan played really well when we were batting but if you see our middle order, they couldn’t always back him up. At the moment, a lot of them are young players though

I’m sure in the next World Cup, these boys will play like Shakib and score big runs regularly.

While we will improve, Australia, India and England will definitely improve too, so we’ll have to work a bit harder than them.

Our team is in very good shape at this moment, if they keep working hard then I’m sure they will do very good things.

It was very nice for Shakib to end with another half-century against Pakistan because he played amazingly through the whole World Cup.

It was just brilliant – he scored runs in each and every match, he picked up a few wickets and he was fantastic in the field as well.

To score two centuries and then five more 50s is absolutely incredible. He has always been a great all-rounder but in this tournament, he showed the world that he is the number one all-rounder.

There are so many players that did decent jobs for Bangladesh but what Shakib did was really special.

Mustafizur Rahman was another player who impressed me. In these conditions and at this time of year in England, it’s really, really difficult to take five wickets in an innings.

He did that twice in a row – against India and Pakistan – to finish the World Cup and he proved himself in each and every match.

He was a bit injured before the World Cup, he didn’t have enough time to recover fully but you wouldn’t be able to tell he had any issues.

Liton Das is another very good young player and he played well in his first World Cup. He didn’t make big runs in every game but he was fantastic against the West Indies especially, when he made an unbeaten 94.

He’s a young, upcoming player, so to be playing in such a big tournament will do him the world of good.

It’s very difficult for any player perform in each and every game like Shakib did but he has a bright future.

If Bangladesh had qualified for the semi-finals it would have been a great thing but they should still be very, very happy because the boys did a really, really good job at the World Cup.

© ICC Business Corporation FZ LLC 2019. All rights reserved

Bangladesh captain Mashrafe MortazaSunday said he regretted his team let down its supporters and that he took responsibility for failing to reach the World Cup final four.

“We are definitely disappointed. If some results had gone our way maybe we could have reached the semi-final,” Mashrafe told reporters after the team’s return to Dhaka.

“Overall, the way we played was very positive… but we couldn’t fulfill our expectations,” he said.

“If we had won the last match, we could have finished fifth. But I’m sure all spectators and players wanted the team to finish in the top four,” he said.

Bangladesh dropped down to eighth place at the end of the league phase of the World Cup after South Africa defeated Australia in the last match before the semi-finals, at Old Trafford.

Bangladesh defeated South Africa, West Indies and Afghanistan and narrowly lost to some top teams to stay in contention for a semi-final place until their penultimate game.

They ended the competition with successive defeats against neighbours India and Pakistan.

Mashrafe said a lack of consistency by some of the players, coupled with poor luck, hurt the team’s prospects in the tournament.

“Until the India match, we officially had a chance for the semi-finals. But other than Shakib (Al Hasan) and Mushfiq (Mushfiqur Rahim)” there was a lack of consistency, he said, adding allrounder Mohammed Saifuddin played “outstanding cricket”.

“One whole week was interrupted by rain, which hampered us and helped some teams.”

Shakib finished the World Cup with 606 runs and 11 wickets while paceman Mustafizur Rahman was among other top Bangladeshi performers, claiming 20 scalps.

Mashrafe himself struggled with form in the tournament, picking up just one wicket in eight matches.

The 35-year-old medium pacer has refused to speak clearly about his future plans.

“As a captain, if I fail to lead the team to expected results, there will always be criticism. I have to take responsibility for the entire team. That’s normal,” he said.

“I take full responsibility as I should. But I would like to say that players face criticisms all around the world, especially after a tournament or series.”

“And it happening after the World Cup is very normal,” he added.

Subjected security clearance, Bangladesh are likely visit Sri Lanka for a three-match one-day international series at the end of this month for their next assignment.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news...l-always-be-criticism-mashrafe-mortaza-866851

Last edited:
Shakib
Mushfiqur(with bat)
Mustafiz
Saifuddin
Miraz
Litton

were decent performers for us(Shakib was OUTSTANDING). So if only 5 of the players in the squad have had a decent outing then you cannot expect a finish higher than no.8

Back