ICC World Cup 2023: Bangladesh (282/7) defeat Sri Lanka (279) by 3 wickets in a match marred by controversy

I hope srilanka mankad Bangladeshi batsmen.
They deserve it. Let's go srilanka.

Not sure how this Sri Lanka side is going to beat New Zealand.

The way SL are going, they may end up with 280-290.

Not enough on this pitch but can be enough against BD.

Thos who are supporting that "timed out" are the same who support mankad or supported Ashwin.
Pathetic sportsmanship.

SL imploding , Theekshana gone....for alll his batting talents, not too many times he has delivered...maybe a concentration thing ? - like samarawickrama - another under achiever?

SL imploding , Theekshana gone....for alll his batting talents, not too many times he has delivered...maybe a concentration thing ? - like samarawickrama - another under achiever?

Where is Chandimal? Where is Rajapaksa? Where is Dickwella?

SL can have a great team but they are always missing players.

Thos who are supporting that "timed out" are the same who support mankad or supported Ashwin.
Pathetic sportsmanship.
So as per you, if a batsman takes a start runs down pitch before bowler starts his action/completes his action is doing the right thing? would you consider it unfair advantage taken by batsman?
if your answer is yes, then what should be solution if bowler notices batsmen running before ball is delivered/into delivery stride?
Should bowler calmly go back to his run up and deliver the next ball?
What if batsmen does the same thing next ball - because if as per you the previous ball, it was ok to run before ball wa delivered/ - is that acceptable?
What if it happens a third time?

Where do you draw a line?
Mankad, obstructing the field, handling the ball, and timed-out should be gone as dismissals from cricket.

ICC should get rid of these rules.

Whatever runs SL would make , pathetic Bangladesh surely would lose. They are a finished team.

Mankad, obstructing the field, handling the ball, and timed-out should be gone as dismissals from cricket.

ICC should get rid of these rules.
So consider this.
nassim shah bowls, VK hits in the air, Babar at cover is lining up the catch - Since as per you obstructing the field should be 'gone as dismissals from cricket' , VK runs like ants entered his pants to where Babar is and gives him and almightly shoulder barge/tackle- like in rugby, catch dropped. VK goes back to bat...
And that is ok - as per you??? really?

So consider this.
nassim shah bowls, VK hits in the air, Babar at cover is lining up the catch - Since as per you obstructing the field should be 'gone as dismissals from cricket' , VK runs like ants entered his pants to where Babar is and gives him and almightly shoulder barge/tackle- like in rugby, catch dropped. VK goes back to bat...
And that is ok - as per you??? really?

That's not okay obviously. Umpire can call it a dead-ball and warn the batter. Batter can have demerit points and get suspended.

280 to win for BD.

Would be interesting how SL bowlers/fielders react during 2nd innings. I expect next level sledging.

That's not okay obviously. Umpire can call it a dead-ball and warn the batter. Batter can have demerit points and get suspended.
Wow.... i would like to do it when 9 wickets down, one to win - plug the opposition fielder out, have the ball called as dead ball, get demerit points, go back on strike - and have another chance to win the match.
If i again hit it in the air and this time babar is at mid on - i tell my non striker to take out babar, get the demerit points, pay the fine, but face the next ball and have another chance to win.
cheers Mate! :ds

Hope Sri Lanka bags this

Was supporting bangladesh untill that timeout wicket

Full support Sri Lanka

Hope Bangladesh chase it down

So Sri Lanka are more motivated as Champions Trophy spot will be up for grabs against New Zealand

Wow.... i would like to do it when 9 wickets down, one to win - plug the opposition fielder out, have the ball called as dead ball, get demerit points, go back on strike - and have another chance to win the match.
If i again hit it in the air and this time babar is at mid on - i tell my non striker to take out babar, get the demerit points, pay the fine, but face the next ball and have another chance to win.
cheers Mate! :ds

This is where umpires/ICC/cricket needs to be dynamic.

Case by case basis.

This is a par score by SL. Unless there is dew, this will be a challenging chase.

Good that CT qualification is there to play for. A win here should see SL qualify for CT

Hope Sri Lanka bags this

Was supporting bangladesh untill that timeout wicket

Full support Sri Lanka
Liton Das allowed batsman to come back in NZ home series recently from getting Mankad. Then the batsman Ish Sodhi went to score runs won the game. So Mathews could have taken the innings to 300+.

Cricketers need to understand the laws of cricket better. If it’s there, it’s allowed.

This is a par score by SL. Unless there is dew, this will be a challenging chase.

Good that CT qualification is there to play for. A win here should see SL qualify for CT

This is Delhi. Isn't 300+ par here?

This is par against Bangladesh though. I agree.

This is where umpires/ICC/cricket needs to be dynamic.

Case by case basis.
ok, point taken....
But fact is you have also shifted the goalposts as you originally stated ''gone as dismissals from cricket' which is not case by case.

i am not having a go at you or running you down, i am just having a logical discussion with another passionate cricket lover like you.

Would a bower running out a batsman who has started running and is half way down the pitch be cheating or would the batsman be cheating/taking an unfair advantage? where would you draw the line for case by case for this?

It’s a good wicket, Theres dew on this ground. But when Bangladesh bats it becomes a bowling pitch. So expect some twists and turns! It’s going to be a bumpy ride for sure.

Sri Lanka are all charged up after that time out incident bangla boy BEWARE!!!

This is Delhi. Isn't 300+ par here?

This is par against Bangladesh though. I agree.
Not historically. But the pitches and squares were relaid recently so it's gotten better for batting.

Even so, chasing is dependent on dew . There is dew on the outfield apparently so BD should chase this.

Tanzid dismissed by Madushanka.

Tanzid Hasan 9(5) c P Nissanka b D Madushanka

Score: BAN 17/1 in 2.1 Overs

wow. Timed out. I don't think i have seen it before. So it is not a dead rubber by any means.

wow. Timed out. I don't think i have seen it before. So it is not a dead rubber by any means.

It has never happened in international cricket before. This was the first time in 140+ years.

Happened in First Class cricket 6 times.

Matthews should appeal to the umpire for time wasting

Timed out is only applicable before the batter has faced a ball.

After the batter has faced a delivery, timed-out is not applicable.

ICC needs to look at these. They need to close down all loopholes and get rid of all stupid rules.

Why are they doing this to this youngster Tanzid? He has failed massively. Yet still they keep picking him. Not as if he hasn’t been given enough chances. The lad is just not ready for international cricket. Hasnt played any series before asia cup he got selected for asia by the selection panelist due to performance in emerging comp? Madness.

It’s sad. I feel for the lad. We won’t see him for many more years after world cup.

Late on that. Set batsman. Guy goes into t20 mode forgets how to play ODI. Either a boundary or nothing. Definitely was looking to attack that ball if it was wide off but got a yorker!

Why are they doing this to this youngster Tanzid? He has failed massively. Yet still they keep picking him. Not as if he hasn’t been given enough chances. The lad is just not ready for international cricket. Hasnt played any series before asia cup he got selected for asia by the selection panelist due to performance in emerging comp? Madness.

It’s sad. I feel for the lad. We won’t see him for many more years after world cup.

I agree that BD didn't groom anyone properly for this opening position. They are playing Tanzid in the World Cup without giving him enough games.

Tamim was supposed to be the opener. But, all those dramas meant Tanzid got to play.

Do you think Rony Talukdar would've been better here?

Tanzid is a walking wicket. instead why didnt they play Sheikh Mahadi who can whack a few at end and bowl. They tried showing how they backing a youngster but insanity is doing the same thing again and again expecting different result!

Tanzid is a walking wicket. instead why didnt they play Sheikh Mahadi who can whack a few at end and bowl. They tried showing how they backing a youngster but insanity is doing the same thing again and again expecting different result!

Who would be Litton's opening partner then? Shanto?

I agree that they could've played Mahedi. He can bowl too.

Shanto needs a big score. Has been utter failure this cwc. Even that 50 against Afg was slow as a snail!

WHy can't BD split a break it down to a 5 segments of 10 overs instead of 50 overs like Afghanistan did.

Shakib with the new bat sponsor Puma a brand which supports certain kind. Shame on you Shak. Money mad guy.

4th umpire said that he was timed out before the issue with the helmet arose. Still very unsportsmanlike to appeal for it though

Attachments

• 1699275510570197.jpg
    1699275510570197.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 2
Shakib with the new bat sponsor Puma a brand which supports certain kind. Shame on you Shak. Money mad guy.

Can't wait for him to retire. Causing too many dramas lately. Outputs have been low.

BD need hardworking and hungry players.

This wicket is good for batting has good bounce too something which Batting struggle as in Mirpur its slow and low, when flat it has no bounce.

Wth is this khet wala shakib doing lol. Jees! He is trying so hard to get out. Man with all that experience looks like fish out of the pond out there!

Back