ICC World Cup 2023: South Africa (382/5) beat Bangladesh (233 all out) by 149 runs

Mahmudullah out for 111, good innings from him. Wide delivery slow ball too, which gets him.

End of one of the most useless innings. Going at 100 SR when target is 150+ SR and then celebrating as if he won the match. Minnow mentality

Without him, BD probably would've been out for 120-130.

This was okay considering what transpired.

Wankede is the worse place for BD to play SA. Then again all the wickets flat for icc events, it wouldnt make difference if bd had more matches at Kolkata!
Stop crying about pitch. Your team is not good enough.period
I said during last match that Bangladesh fans are think like their team is World beater but only losing becouse of pitch and toss .lol

End of one of the most useless innings. Going at 100 SR when target is 150+ SR and then celebrating as if he won the match. Minnow mentality
Dude chill. I get that you support a team full of batting prowess. This game was over in the first innings, It’s about batting practice, many other matches to play. Riyad has been through lots of things due to bd cricket politics. You really actually expected him to try chasing the target alone? Lol.

Rather than getting bundled out for less than 150. Am happy the way Riyad batted. It will give them something to take back.

Stop crying about pitch. Your team is not good enough.period
I said during last match that Bangladesh fans are think like their team is World beater but only losing becouse of pitch and toss .lol

No one is crying about the pitch, Sir. Don’t pressure things too much.

This ground is great for batting, good batting sides with more power always will win, power which BD lacks. Read the comment properly again I did say it wouldnt make any difference where since all the wickets seems good for batting.

BD are done with most of the big teams (India, NZ, England, and South Africa).

They now have Sri Lanka, Netherlands, Pakistan, and Australia. Netherlands and Sri Lanka should be relatively easier.
Australia still a big team. Expect Aus to score 330plus too.

With 4 losses in 5 games and 4 to go - Is Bangladesh the First team to be out of contention for Semis or is there any mathematical outside chance still there for them?

South Africa in last 7 wins:
- Won by 111 runs Vs Australia.
- Won by 164 runs Vs Australia.
- Won by 122 runs Vs Australia.
- Won by 102 runs Vs Sri Lanka.
- Won by 134 runs Vs Australia.
- Won by 229 runs Vs England.
- Won by 149 runs Vs Bangladesh

Can india stop their hot winning runs?

India certainly can. Eden Gardens (where we will play SA) is a ground with small dimensions (not talking about the capacity) similar to Wankhede, but I expect the pitch to be slower, making the spinners come into play.

Mahamdulla showed his class. As manjrekar said half way time you have to wait till 8:30 local time before attacking. Dew will help. Shakib should have protected his wicket till that time

South Africa continued their remarkable form with another bruising win at the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup, with Quinton de Kock’s brilliant century inspiring a 149-run win.

Victory sends South Africa second in the table with four wins to their name and comfortably the best net run rate out of all ten teams in the tournament, while Bangladesh slip below England to the foot of the standings.

A 20th ODI hundred from De Kock and some brutal late hitting from Heinrich Klaasen and David Miller guided South Africa to their huge first-innings total of 382/5 at the Wankhede Stadium.

And Bangladesh’s reply only got going when the game was already done, as they slumped to an enormous defeat in Mumbai despite Mahmudullah’s defiant and excellent run-a-ball 111.

The brilliant De Kock steadied South Africa’s innings alongside Aiden Markram after the loss of two wickets in the opening powerplay.

And the opener launched off the platform he had helped build, smashing 22 boundaries in his inspired 174 from 140 balls.

The departure of De Kock in the 46th over did little to halt the assault, with Klaasen and David Miller exploding at the death to push South Africa to another huge score.

Klaasen fell narrowly short of his century, departing for 90 from 49 balls, while Miller finished with 34 from just 15 deliveries.

And Mahmudullah's brave knock wasn't enough to prevent Bangladesh slipping to the foot of the table.
Match 23: South Africa beat Bangladesh by 149 runs

South Africa, led by Aiden Markram again in the absence of Temba Bavuma, won the toss and chose to bat first.

The good news for Bangladesh was the return of their skipper, Shakib Al Hasan, who replaced Towhid Hridoy in the playing XI. Shakib added that he didn't mind bowling first, embracing the opportunity to attempt to restrict the opponents to a reasonable total.

The South Africa openers started positively, although they were assisted by a dropped chance in the second over. Positioned at the first slip position, Tanzid Hasan dropped a nick from Reeza Hendricks, whose cut shot had gone straight to the fielder. Even though the pitch seemed to have some help for the bowlers, South Africa looked to continue in the usual aggressive fashion that has served them well through the tournament.

However, Bangladesh struck twice in the first Powerplay to rock the Proteas effort. Shoriful Islam bowled an incisive delivery that beat the defences of Reeza Hendricks and rattled his stumps.

And shortly afterwards, Mehidy Hasan Miraz trapped Rassie van de Dussen leg before.

The third-wicket pair of De Kock and Markram weathered this early storm and began laying the foundations for a good South Africa total. De Kock overcame the Bangladesh spin challenge on a wicket with a decent amount of turn and went for his strokes to compose an attacking fifty.

And he received good support from his partner, Markram, whose positive strokeplay ensured that South Africa went at over five-an-over even during the rebuilding phase.

The Tigers finally had something to cheer about when they dismissed Markram (60) in the 31st over, as South Africa's stand-in skipper went for an inside-out drive against his opposite number but was grasped by Litton Das at long-on.

Yet the arrival of Klaasen signaled a changing of gears for South Africa, just as it had during the win over England. And Klaasen’s brutal hitting increased the South Africa scoring rate, with Kock reaching a century in the 35th over.

South Africa's stylish left-handed opener continued to dish out the pain after reaching his ton, adding 74 runs in his next 40 balls to fire South Africa towards a mammoth total.

And the arrival of David Miller only increased the scoring rate yet further.

Klaasen departed for a brutal 90, which featured eight maximums, as he looked for big hits to finish the innings and was caught off a skier.

But Miller’s blitz of 34 from just 15 deliveries helped South Africa to a total that seems out of Bangladesh’s reach.

Faced with such a monster target, Bangladesh never stood much of a chance, requiring the highest ODI score in their history to win the game against such an in-form side.

And the chase unraveled under the Wankhede lights, with only a brilliant ton from the number six saving some face in the second innings.

A steady start to Tigers’ reply came to an abrupt end when a short ball from Marco Jansen was gloved behind by Tanzid Hasan (12).

And Jansen removed Najmul Hissain Shanto off the very next delivery with a strangle down the leg side.

The all-rounder missed out on a hat-trick as his attempted yorker turned into an easily defended full toss, but Lizaad Williams kept the wickets coming when he removed Shakib Al Hasan (1).

The wickets kept on tumbling as Gerald Coetzee removed Mushfiqur Rahim for 8.

And Litton Das’s brave resistance finally came to an end when he was trapped leg before by Kagiso Rabada for a 44-ball 22.

Keshav Maharaj joined in the wicket-taking spree when he had Mehidy Hasan Miraz caught in the deep for 11, as Bangladesh’s chase collapsed before it had barely got started.

Mahmudullah ensured some pride was restored for Bangladesh with an excellent knock from number six, helping his side avoid a record defeat with a defiant half-century that picked up pace as he began to run out of partners.

Nasum Ahmed's departure for 19 got South Africa into the tail, and Rabada returned to remove Hasan Mahmud for 15.

Aided by the tail, Mahmudullah brought up his own individual milestone with a high-class hundred against South Africa's tiring attack, with his century coming from 104 balls.

But the centurion's departure sparked a string of quick wickets as South Africa wrapped up the win with 3.2 overs and 149 runs to spare.

Source: ICC

South Africa's winning margins when batting first at this World Cup:

Won by 102 runs v Sri Lanka
Won by 134 runs v Australia
Won by 229 runs v England
Won by 149 runs v Bangladesh

IpL definitely has played a major role. QDK, Miller, Klassen were all box office stars last year. They know these pitches better than some of the other guys. Warner is another IPL legend. This is why I think England should have opened with Buttler. Superstar as opener in the IPL. Wankhede was home ground for QDK for a very long time.

Bangladesh should hang their heads in shame. 25 years of spoon-feeding and this is what they come up with.

Afghanistan smoked them in a test tour of Bangladesh not long ago. A team without a home and ravaged by the Taliban.

Bangladesh aren't made for sport.

Neither the players, nor the fans.
Nothing shameful about this.

146 years after playing the first ever Test match, how did the English fare against SA on this same pitch?

They were much worse.

Thank you Mahmudullah for helping us to beat QdK, by a clear margin of 59 runs.

Netherlands have already stop their run!

SA batting first. Unless pitch offers something, this is going to be another Mortal Kombat level fatality. SA batting first is just scary good right now. Ridiculous skill and firepower in that lineup.

You'll either need a tricky pitch or have them chase to even have a chance against this side. Batting first on a flattie, they'll destroy every one blindfolded.
Absolutely brutal from SA.

On the game - SAF’s WC is heading perfectly towards the plot ….. they have their one loss in group stage, probably will win against India as well …… then comes SF…… hope they don’t bat second that day.

For their own good, SAF needs to struggle in group stage - win & loose some close games, some emotional highs & lows …. May be then KO games won’t come as a nemesis.

[Reporter:]

South Africa's batting has been doing really well in the last few matches while batting first. So as a team, do you plan to put your chasing power to the test, especially after the Netherlands game? Do you think that as a team you need to play, chase more totals before the knockouts to test your team and get used to that?

[Aiden Markram:]

I suppose we're just approaching each game and seeing what's probably best to do on the day but obviously the history of the last, I don't know how many games it is now, we've batted first quite a bit so I think it's quite easy to get that mantra of ‘they're a bat-first team’. But we're a team that is happy to chase. Obviously now we haven't done it in a while. So, to do it successfully in an ideal world will be great. And you can get those reference points again and get those habits going. But whether or not we are going to just decide to chase because we haven't chased in a while, I'm not too sure. We will have to see.

A year or two ago, maybe a bit more, you were sort of known as a guy that made pretty 30s, but now you tend to sort of at least go past 50 and you've also scored a few hundreds this year. I was just wondering if that was something that you focused on and how do you manage now to turn those good starts into bigger scores?

Yeah, I don't think you always get it right but I think in 50-over cricket there obviously is a lot more time than what I initially maybe thought. You get the feel of the wicket and you maybe decide to pull the trigger slightly earlier and then you get out and you sit for 20 overs on the side and watch the other guys smack it and it eats away at you. So, I think I had to certainly go through those learnings to help me realise that there are gears that you do go through in 50-over cricket and you can't just gear straight up and then stay in that gear, you might have to gear down a few times. So, I had to experience that first hand to be able to sort of learn about it, but yeah, still trying to figure it out now, to be honest.

A feature of the last few games has been the runs scored in the last 10 overs. Just kind of following on from what you said, could you maybe talk about like the batting blueprint and how you set yourselves up so that you can score 140, 130, whatever it is in the last ten.

Yeah, I think it goes without saying that you obviously do need wickets in hand but we haven't spoken about a blueprint as a unit it's been actually quite a strange build up the last two months or maybe slightly longer now. No definitive roles given, but everyone kind of knows now what they need to do to help this batting unit peak at their best. So, there isn't necessarily a blueprint, but guys understand how to approach it. A big focus on playing conditions and not necessarily situations too much. Obviously, there will be times where you play the situation. But that's pretty much where it's at as a unit and we keep saying to look down at the surface and not up at the scoreboard and play exactly what's in front of us on the pitch.

Do you put any thinking into if we keep them out there for 50 overs and we bat properly and make a big score, by the time they get out there to bat, they're going to be physically and mentally shot? Does that come into your decision making?

Maybe not before the game, but certainly while you're out there. Today it wasn't as hot to be honest as it was for the England game but it was still hot and 50 overs is a long time to be in the field whether it's hot or not to be honest it mentally takes quite a bit out of you. So, there is that advantage I would say, especially when conditions are on the hot side. So, it's not a reason why we end up batting first. It's not the sole reason, but I suppose it is a slight benefit or can potentially be a slight benefit if you do bat well first.

Aiden, we are at the halfway mark, so to say, of the group stage. Coming into the World Cup, what is it that you guys were looking forward to achieving and going into these few games and with the wins now do you think that these have been like proper statement performances and other teams will sit up and take notice of the team?

I'm not too sure if it's putting statements out there and we try to crack on with what we're trying to do and achieve as a team. As every other team is, I'm sure they are too. Get into that knockout stage and get to that final and then play a good game of cricket in the final as well. So that's pretty much where our focus is at. Not trying to blow up the occasion. Obviously, you respect the fact that you are at a World Cup for sure and you appreciate that a lot. But ultimately, when you cross the rope, it is just a game of cricket and I think that keeps us nice and calm as well. And hopefully we can continue that approach going forward.

I don't mean to take anything away from the rest of you guys, but Quinny's now reached 400 runs. Has he started reaching dream territory now in terms of his output in this tournament? And also, just on that, do you actually think the fact now that you mentioned, you know, there's not particularly a blueprint or anything, you know, it actually helps him?

Could well be, yes. We all know Quinton to be the free-spirited guy that he is, but he actually has a fantastic cricket brain on him. So, he assesses conditions really well and communicates that to us off the field even before we've walked out to bat. So, it adds a lot of value in that regard. And then you never want to clip his wings really. You just want to let him fly. He structures it the exact way he feels need, and we back that completely as a unit. So, yeah, that's where we're at. I think, like I mentioned, we focus on conditions, we focus on really trying to take good options and wherever that leaves us at the end of it, if that thinking was nice and solid, then we can sleep pretty well at night.

Is it tempting to look at the leaderboard and think what you have to do? I'm sure you'll take it game by game, but will you just leave that to us? You're in second place now. Is it tempting to look at the leaderboard because it looks quite nice? Plan ahead and we need two out of four to make sure of the semis?

I think that's a pretty dangerous place to be, to be honest. I don't think you want to start trying to do maths this far out. There's still four games of cricket and that's potentially eight points up for grabs. That's what we're going to try to push for. I think if you start sitting and hoping for a result from this team and trying to work out ‘we maybe only need two wins left’ or whatever it is. I don't think that's a great place to be as a unit, so I'm sure we'll stay far away from that and focus on the very next game and try to back up performances that we've put in so far.

I know it was sort of inconsequential given the outcome, but you know, staying out there for as long as you did in the field, is that, you know, frustrating? And if so, what are the things that the guys take away from that, that they try and apply the next time they go on the field?

Yeah, naturally it's frustrating I suppose when you want to try and bowl a team out as quick as you can, but we had pretty good plans in place I felt and went past the bat quite a bit in the back end of the innings. And the odd ball falling in no-man's land didn't help much. But I think it was good for us to be able to tap into death plans to a batter that was in and putting us under a bit of pressure. So, I think there was a lot of value in that for us. And then naturally to keep taking wickets from the other end is also good for the bowling unit. So sometimes you can get a bit frustrated in the field but I think the game comes to an end and you sit back and you realise the good value that was out there in what happened for us.

Peaking at the right time is kind of a tricky factor when it comes to long tournaments, but given how South Africa have played so far, two excellent games at the start, now looking back at the last two games, one sided contest, how does it place you in terms of the contests that are ahead against New Zealand, India which are very two strong teams as well and what is the take on peaking at the right time?

Yeah, I am not too sure to be honest. Peaking is, suppose, a result of playing good cricket. And if we're going into each game trying to play good cricket, then we can see where it gets us. But the things that we've been doing well, we’ve put a lot of emphasis on those things and those sort of processes, for lack of a better word. I know that word is thrown around quite a bit, but that really is what it is. And like I've mentioned, for us as a batting unit, even as a bowling unit, we try to take really good options out there and make good decisions and if those options speak to the conditions, we feel like we'll be in the game. So, if we can do that for long periods of time and move forward each game then we hope it puts us in a good position.

You were not in the team for a while. What kept you moving? Do you feel that you are batting a bit down the order?

[Mohammad Mahmudullah:]

That was a good time, I think. I can't say anything regarding that, though I do want to talk about a lot of things, but probably this is not the right time to talk about it.

When you are chasing such a big total, power hitting is very important. Do you feel that Bangladesh is lacking in power hitting and what is the reason behind it?

On this sort of wicket, you need to create opportunity, first of all, to be in that position where you can win a game. I think we didn't do that today. And regarding power hitting, I think we have a bit of depth, but it all depends how the partnerships progress in the middle and where you can have a few wickets in hand to go out there and just blast everyone.

[question in Bangla]

Was it an ideal preparation to come to the World Cup?

The thing is that I can't make comment on those things because it's an outside matter and it is not the right time to make any comment on those issues. Whatever happened - happened - all we can do is try to win game for Bangladesh and we're trying, we're trying very hard but it’s not happening - but you will see a different Bangladesh team.

Can you talk us through your innings, what was the goal you had in mind. Did at any point you think that the game was lost and you had to target your hundred? What was going through your mind?

Actually, I didn’t target my hundred – to be honest, because you just bat – when me and Mustafizur were batting in the middle, I told him – just stay on, hold on. Let us play 50 overs, let’s see what score we can get because there is an issue with the run rate, because if you get out early and cheaply, it will affect our net rune rate too – so I just tried to go deep, just bat and try to score some runs for the team.

Have you sounded off a warning to your think tank about your promotion in the battling line up?

No, I didn't think about that. Yesterday coach told me that I'm going to bat at number six. So that's it. I just go out there and try to play my game. And that's it. Nothing really special.

Bangladesh are pretty much the first team to be eliminated after this loss I think. Might be small mathematical probability but they can't make 12 points now.

Netherlands , SL, PAK, ENG, AFG will all be in that situation of not making 12 points starting tomorrow.

SA, NZ, IND, OZ have more breathing space.

On one hand Bangladesh's bowling has been weak, 2 of 3 of their fast bowlers awful

OTOH they did play England and the 3 best teams in this WC all one after the other.

I donno how these guys came into the wc as #3. If you ask me (purely on performance) - BD has been the WORST TEAM in this wc. Also read up on some pre wc drama, really was unnecessary to leave out your best batsmen from the team because of childish drama.

Dude chill. I get that you support a team full of batting prowess. This game was over in the first innings, It’s about batting practice, many other matches to play. Riyad has been through lots of things due to bd cricket politics. You really actually expected him to try chasing the target alone? Lol.

Rather than getting bundled out for less than 150. Am happy the way Riyad batted. It will give them something to take back

What you said is not wrong. But that's what is minnow mentality. I'm pretty sure even Afghans would have gone for the win and get bowled for 150 like England did against SA. I'm pretty sure AUS did the same against SA and crashed. Useless hundreds to pad stats and then celebrating that glory and then "taking something back" isn't the attitude of a team that received test status a couple of decades ago.

You are out if you have 4 losses. That's why BD's approach was puzzling.
With 4 losses in 5 games and 4 to go - Is Bangladesh the First team to be out of contention for Semis or is there any mathematical outside chance still there for them?

Back