If you play for a team, what is your role?

Supporter of Pak legends

First Class Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
What position do you bat and what do you bowl? I personally bowl off-spin and can actually bowl the doosra without throwing and bat at number 7 for my under-17 team which is part of Azaad CC.

Last edited:
i used to keep wickets and bat at 5. then our team lost 2 frontline bowlers, decided to give bowling a go and got good at it. so now i bowl first change (left arm pace), and bat 7/8 down. my batting isnt as good anymore but i can hit ha

Re: If you play for a team what is you role?

Hafeez type player, but I Iike to bat at 4.

Open/1st change bowler
I am the floater of the team where ever a batsman is missing i slot in: I perfer to open, but if there is a full stregnth team i bat at 6/7

Opening bowler. Bowl around 110mph. Bat around 4-6. Depends on the situation

opening batsmen who can also bat at number 3... off spinner mostly in the middle overs. used like :hafeez

Opening bowler. Bowl around 110mph. Bat around 4-6. Depends on the situation

MPH!!!! WOW. you are like the faster version of imran khan.. bat at those position and bowl fast.

Re: If you play for a team what is you role?

Right hand offspin bowler and bat at 4/5 always have to come in at disaster situatin as i m a senior player and responsable batter and i m quiet good alhamdulillah

Sent from my IM-A820L using Tapatalk 2

Number 5. Bat like Wajahatullah Wasti.

I am an All-Rounder Right Arm Pace Dale Steyn type of bowling and Batting Right Arm like Virat Kohli.

13 years old and can consistently bowl 95+ kph and fastest ball is 68-70 MPH. Usually love to play straight-bat shots and fav shot is leg-glance.

Right handed batsman normally play as an opener but also played at no 5 or 6 can bowl off-spin occasionally took 5 wickets twice last year in ODI (50 overs) and can keep wickets do it some times not bad at all played a lot of matches as full time wicket keeper.

So someone like Dilshan just not aggressive with the bat.

I usually Open the batting or bat at 3. Usually I open the bowling as well or bowl as first change. Batting is my stronger suit. Wanna be like Jaques Kallis or Imran Khan because I have seen lots of them.
I miss those school days when I was captain and used to open in both departments. Sometimes I would just simply put myself in slip to avoid running too much.
LOL

Our captain is very frustrating. Either I open the batting (because everyone else is afraid of the fast bowlers - even though they aren't that quick, especially at the Under-17 level) of bat at number 9 and very irritatingly, the captain doesn't allow me to bowl even though - although I am saying so myself - my off-spin is a genuine wicket-taking option. The last season I bowled an aggregate of only 9 overs and took 4 wickets. Either the captain doesn't understand spin bowling or hates me: I fear the answer is both because he forces me to put the boundary flags out and collect them and doesn't allow me to bowl even though the par score against us is usually 140-160/2 after 20 overs.

off spinner , a good middle order batsman
Sometimes also keep wickets when needed.

once I opened an innings in a tournament and got Golden duck

off spinner , a good middle order batsman
Sometimes also keep wickets when needed.

I'm similar to you, although I've batted more games at the #9 or #1 position (even though I prefer batting and am much more proficient in scoring when present in the middle order). The reason for this is I think whenever I open the batting, I'm always nervous and apprehensive in my strokes whereas when I've batted at #3/#4, I'm much more relaxed and comfortable playing my cover drives (despite already being around 10/2). This is because when I open, I often the play the ball too early and push at deliveries rather than play my strokes assuredly - often feeling tense at not wanting to be the first wicket to have fallen, although this often results in my downfall - whereas batting at #3/#4 helps me to concentrate to a greater extent in the middle, because time spent watching some of the opposition's bowlers (usually only 3/4 balls) helps me to realise the type of strokes I'm required to play when I enter the wicket and also because seeing my partners wickets falls motivates me to score boundaries, and show them that batting is a relatively easy art.

Although I've only batted at #3/#4 in only 3 innings I believe, because of the reasons given above, I think that should be my permanent batting position - but, as a result of the selfish nature of our team's captain and some extremely greedy players who despite constantly failing in their respective positions continue to retain important positions in the batting line-up, an implication that the nepotism (because our captain favours certain players, I believe) that is present in Pakistan cricket isn't just restricted to the national team.

once I opened an innings in a tournament and got Golden duck

I've obtained a golden duck on a solitary occasion, when I was bowled (facing the first ball of the innings) trying to drive a ball through the covers, even though the ball was on a middle/leg-stump line.

Last edited:
I've obtained a golden duck on a solitary occasion, when I was bowled (facing the first ball of the innings) trying to drive a ball through the covers, even though the ball was on a middle/leg-stump line.

Its been a very long time that I played cricket. The incident I mentioned is around 1995 or 1996. At that time I was 14 years old and was considered a very good batsman even than many senior players.

Funny thing that Team captain and seniors were discussing about opener and they did not find any proper player to open against that side than me. And like you I also have to face first ball and it was a scene when my off stump was flying. The bowler was very fast and become very joyous after getting me. And you know what my team all out on just 30 :D.

Just few seconds before start of innings I was laughing at one administrator of tournament saying what a pitch to bat on, I shall score heavily. Lolz

I played that ball straight but ball was more quicker than what I expected.

Its been a very long time that I played cricket. The incident I mentioned is around 1995 or 1996. At that time I was 14 years old and was considered a very good batsman even than many senior players.

That's extremely saddening - why don't you play nowadays?

And you know what my team all out on just 30 :D.

That's astonishing, though I fear it isn't as shocking if I tell you this: our lowest ever total was 24 runs, of which 8 were acquired by me in my 3-ball innings.

I played that ball straight but ball was more quicker than what I expected.

Sometimes I am a little late to play at deliveries, an occurrence which is most likely the result of my absurd batting stance/technique, although i genuinely love playing fast bowling, especially driving the ball through the covers or pulling short balls to the square leg boundary.

Started playing adult cricket three seasons ago(was 15 at the time) and started out initially as a first change second team bowler. Now I am 18 and have secured my place as a 1st team opening bowler. Only bowler at the club to have taken 15+ wickets in a season in all of the last three seasons and this season I passed 50 club wickets on my way to 25 for the season(9 more than anybody at the club).

Sadly I've never been that much of a batsman. Only real successes I've had with the bat were the two games I came in to bat with a few overs left of a run chase and been there at the end when we won the match. Was given the opportunity to open the batting in the final game of the season, scored all 11 runs of the edge(including inside edging a full toss narrowly past my leg stump first ball of the match) before getting out. Not exactly the ideal way to take advantage of the opportunity provided to me..

Tailender who bowls first change :gul. Can thwack the ball well at times but extremely inconsistent :afridi. Decent outfielder but rubbish catcher :kami

Left arm spinner. no11 Useless batsman

Middle Order batsman no 4 or 5

Part time bowler

Used to WK before for 4-5 years

Latest match stats:

- 22 run of 16 balls (4 fours )
- 2/15 in 3 overs

Tailender who bowls first change :gul. Can thwack the ball well at times but extremely inconsistent :afridi. Decent outfielder but rubbish catcher :kami

I acknowledge the fact that the ball does not swing a great amount in club cricket, but aren't you ever annoyed that you are not given the new-ball (which I'm sure would be greatly beneficial to the attainment of wickets)?

I am a mediocre player, albeit others may not say so about me, I underestimate myself to get the best out of myself. I was a fast bowler who began to depend on spin bowling because of lack of agility resulted from lack of sports. Usually under pressure, I can bat better despite the fact I don't have any profound interest in batting. For instance, I hit a six off the last bowl while playing in school. :razzaq

My captain in yr 10 forced me to bat at no 6 where I did not make an impact and he knew I hated batting their. Next yr (11) I was made captain I batted at no 3 and made him sit on the bench. During a cricket leauge for u-17 in Blackburn I batted at no 3. Dont bowl much but can turn my arm if needed.

Last edited:
20 year old newbie to club cricket, who is still learning a lot. i bat number #11 and i bowl leg spin. I have a sexy straight drive and a cover drive, so the other team always ask why i am batting at number #11, but i can only play straight drive and cover drive :(

A fast bowler who can swing it both ways on a good day , open the bowling for the club , however I consider myself as an all rounder but bat at no 8 due to tough competition in the team, some notable cameos last season so I hope I get promoted this summer

Medium pacer. Bat at 6/7, like a late order slogger. I can play the spinners decently, but I can't play pace for my life.

I just joined a club, I'm 21 in my first season.

I am a bowling all rounder, but in the matches I've played I don't get to bowl, in fact, I come in to bat in at number 5 when we've had a collapse and I usually fail, so far I've got 0, 2, 0. I played the first four games for the team, but now I find myself out of it since I don't add anything to the team.

Top order batsman, and can bowl medium pace, off spin, leg spin.. And would like to bowl death overs too.. have some success there..

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Back