India (263/3) defeat Sri Lanka (262/9) by 7 wickets to win the 1st ODI

Dharmasena still officiating! Now this is a surprise!

ODI WC 2023:-

Rohit
Shaw
Kohli
Pant
KL
Pandya
Jadeja
Bhuvi
Shami
Spinner
Bumrah

Shaw can be considered to open with Rohit in T20 WC. You guys agree?

Shaw can be considered to open with Rohit in T20 WC. You guys agree?

No, not just yet. I don't think he is WC material. He needs to score more consistently. This one off 40 something score against SL is not going to cut it.

Last edited:
No, not just yet. I don't think he is WC material. He needs to score more consistently. This one off 40 something score against SL is not going to cut it.

But in T20, a quick fire 40 is job well done for an opener no?

I hope I don't jinx him, but Ishan seems to be performing solidly here.

We need at least 2-3 hustlers in our ODI team which has gone very stale over the years. One could obviously be Shaw but Dhawan isn't going anywhere considering he has been asked to lead this team.

Has any Indian batsman made a century on his debut? I think not. May be Ishan will become the first one today.

its more about SR. Even in IPL he was bashing it

While our regular top 3 plays it safe unnecessarily

Speaking of WT20, Dhawan shouldn't be a part of the playing XI. Rohit Kishan should open with Kohli, Pant, Pandya to follow. Ashwin has to picked in UAE. lets see what Kohli does.

Who is this commentator with the Aussie accent?

Manish Pandey single handedly reducing the viewership of this game with his boring batting :))

Asking rate below 3 now. SL has hardly provided any resistance to India B.

So easy to see why Manish Pandey didn't have a career with the Indian team. He is so bloody boring to watch and so bloody pathetic striker of a cricket ball!

So easy to see why Manish Pandey didn't have a career with the Indian team. He is so bloody boring to watch and so bloody pathetic striker of a cricket ball!

Yep. Seems to be struggling to rotate the strike as well. Plays too many dot balls.

Not that it is needed now in this match, but he can't be relied upon when the team is under pressure.

Yep. Seems to be struggling to rotate the strike as well. Plays too many dot balls.

Not that it is needed now in this match, but he can't be relied upon when the team is under pressure.
And he promptly goes back to pavilion!

I don't know what we'll get if we play this useless batsman in this series. He is not young by any stretch of imagination either, having made his debut way back in 2008.

3 4s on the trot by SKY. Dhawan won't get his ton today.

SKY has that elite intent.

I think he needs to be in our ODI WC team in the middle order.

Chasing the score in less than 40 overs. This SL side is rubbish. India's U-19 lads could have beaten them. Sad to see how much SL cricket has fallen.

India go 1-0 up

Skipper Shikhar Dhawan scores an unbeaten 86 as the visitors win with 80 deliveries remaining.

If this were our ''first choice XI'' playing, my wager would be on the match going all the way down to the last few balls.

It's been a while since we last lost an ODI in SL.

Chasing the score in less than 40 overs. This SL side is rubbish. India's U-19 lads could have beaten them. Sad to see how much SL cricket has fallen.

SL have been mediocre for sometime now but tbf they are missing almost half their team in this series due to injuries/contract disputes/bans due to bubble breach

SL have been mediocre for sometime now but tbf they are missing almost half their team in this series due to injuries/contract disputes/bans due to bubble breach
At least 5 of our first choice players are also not playing in this series.

Kohli, Bumrah, Rohit, Jadeja and Pant.

How could he, when we had the master blaster captain cool smashing everyone out of the park at no 6?:yk2
Don't get me started on incompetence of our think tank during and before last WC.

At least 5 of our first choice players are also not playing in this series.

Kohli, Bumrah, Rohit, Jadeja and Pant.

Yeah India have sent a B team....SL are no match to India atm

I just meant that SL would look even more worse here than what they actually are in the absence of seniors....so shouldn't judge them based on this series only.

What is the point of sending Manish Pandey ahead of SKY? We all know Pandey will not make it to any of our first choice teams. This is the chance to test SKY in ODI’s as well to see how well he fits there too. But as usual, we waste golden opportunities to try out new talent.

What is the point of sending Manish Pandey ahead of SKY? We all know Pandey will not make it to any of our first choice teams. This is the chance to test SKY in ODI’s as well to see how well he fits there too. But as usual, we waste golden opportunities to try out new talent.
True. In the same vein, what's the point of Dhawan in this series? Padikkal should have been made to play all games on this trip.

Yeah India have sent a B team....SL are no match to India atm

I just meant that SL would look even more worse here than what they actually are in the absence of seniors....so shouldn't judge them based on this series only.
Yeah, this is true. Just because we are beating this SL team doesn't mean much in the scheme of things.

A disciplined performance from the bowlers was followed up by composed knocks from Shikhar Dhawan (86*) and Ishan Kishan (59) as the hosts notched up a comfortable victory in Colombo.

Winning the toss, Sri Lanka skipper Dasun Shanaka opted to bat first. Openers Avishka Fernando (32) and Minod Bhanuka (27) got the hosts off to a steady start with a partnership of 49.

But this would set up a theme in the Sri Lankan innings as the batters would get a start but fail to convert into a meaningful contribution, leaving them stuttering. Bhanuka Rajapaksa (24), Dhananjaya de Silva (14), Charith Asalanka (38) and Dasun Shanaka (39) all got off to decent starts but eventually did not turn them into big scores. They found it difficult to counter the spin-twins Kuldeep Yadav and Yuzvendra Chahal during the middle phase of the innings.

But some lusty blows by Chamika Karunaratne (43*) finally injected some fuel to the Lankan batting performance and they ended up posting a competitive total of 262/9 on the board. For India, it was a collective effort by the bowling unit with Deepak Chahar, Kuldeep Yadav, and Yuzvendra Chahal all scalping two wickets each.

In reply, Prithvi Shaw got the visitors off to a sensational start, with some sublime strokeplay. Skipper Shikhar Dhawan played the anchor role from the other end, as Shaw stroked nine boundaries in his innings of 43.

Ishan Kishan then joined Dhawan on the crease and carried on from where Shaw left off, signalling the visitors' intent to chase the target down quickly.

On his debut and celebrating his birthday, Kishan made a memorable impression, scoring 59 off only 42 deliveries. After his dismissal, the Sri Lankan players had a glimmer of hope but Manish Pandey stitched together a steady partnership with his captain. Dhawan brought up a well-composed half-century, as he set out to bat throughout the innings.

After Pandey's dismissal on 26, Suryakumar Yadav along with Dhawan ensured that the visitors chased down the target with 80 deliveries remaining, to go 1-0 up in the series.

Rajapakhsha looked good, then I saw that he is almost 30 and has very mediocre. None of the Sri lankan batsmen looked liked they belong to be a test nation, and ofcourse the two guys that looked like Rajaphsa and Desilva both have mediocre stats. This sri lankan team cannot be saved.

If this were our ''first choice XI'' playing, my wager would be on the match going all the way down to the last few balls.

lol I agree with you.

The original XI has lost fire in the belly I must say.

True. In the same vein, what's the point of Dhawan in this series? Padikkal should have been made to play all games on this trip.

I guess you need a senior to captain

If Dhawan wasnt there it would be Bhuvi or even Pandya

I guess you need a senior to captain

If Dhawan wasnt there it would be Bhuvi or even Pandya
To waste a slot, that too opening slot on someone like Dhawan is criminal waste of resources! As for captain, anyone could've captained us against this SL side and it won't have mattered much.

PS: I know Dhawan isn't going anywhere and will surely open for us in WC '23 and that'll spell doomsday for us with him, Kohli & Rohit (so many oldies) in our top order!

Back