India tour of Australia (2020/21)

So bhai that’s what I am saying the diplomatic level push is happening from Australians to get the pie of 300 million dollar revenue. That’s the whole point the tour may happen or not.
Shows the power of BCCI in world cricket.And your point about putting Indians in a detention Center.. well that’s just sad
I don’t think you understand.

Australa’s lockdown and ban on international visitors is estimated to cause a $4.5 billion reduction in revenue this year and the loss of 133,000 jobs.

Cricket Australia employs 200 people. Whether they get to sell their TV rights in India is nowhere near a priority here. It’s a non-issue. Your BCCI power affects 200 people in Australia. It’s a non-issue.

Yes, Cricket Australia is lobbying for government support for this tour to proceed - just like the NRL did with the New Zealand Warriors.

And the commonwealth and state governments will approve it if they can come up with a plan like the NRL had with the NZ Warriors - land somewhere remote and stay somewhere isolated for 14 days. And follow all quarantine laws if and when travelling between states.

But if they insist upon flying to a capital city and being quarantined there, they simply won’t get an exemption to be allowed to tour.

Lol, Michael Clarke previously commented that Australian players were afraid of upsetting the Indian team and therefore they curbed their on field chatter with them out of fear of losing their IPL deals. After this bailout and handout by the BCCI, Cricket Australia will be indebted to the BCCI for ages. I seriously hope every time an Australian team misbehaves with the Indian team, the indians should verbally remind them every time who their true bosses and masters are

I don’t think you understand.

Australa’s lockdown and ban on international visitors is estimated to cause a $4.5 billion reduction in revenue this year and the loss of 133,000 jobs.

Cricket Australia employs 200 people. Whether they get to sell their TV rights in India is nowhere near a priority here. It’s a non-issue. Your BCCI power affects 200 people in Australia. It’s a non-issue.

Yes, Cricket Australia is lobbying for government support for this tour to proceed - just like the NRL did with the New Zealand Warriors.

And the commonwealth and state governments will approve it if they can come up with a plan like the NRL had with the NZ Warriors - land somewhere remote and stay somewhere isolated for 14 days. And follow all quarantine laws if and when travelling between states.

But if they insist upon flying to a capital city and being quarantined there, they simply won’t get an exemption to be allowed to tour.

Even international students may be allowed
in July in Australia with exemptions.
Pretty sure Indians will fly inside to a major city with full pomp and play a series.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/scott-m...rn-to-australia?cid=news:socialshare:facebook

Lol, Michael Clarke previously commented that Australian players were afraid of upsetting the Indian team and therefore they curbed their on field chatter with them out of fear of losing their IPL deals. After this bailout and handout by the BCCI, Cricket Australia will be indebted to the BCCI for ages. I seriously hope every time an Australian team misbehaves with the Indian team, the indians should verbally remind them every time who their true bosses and masters are

But we have some claiming that the BIG 3 is not a problem in cricket.

Even international students may be allowed
in July in Australia with exemptions.
Pretty sure Indians will fly inside to a major city with full pomp and play a series.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/scott-m...rn-to-australia?cid=news:socialshare:facebook

My son is at university in an Australian capital city. All lectures are online, he was sent home 6 weeks ago, and barely any overseas students were able to enter the country before the borders closed.

Do you not see that letting anyone into Australia from overseas is risky, and that the following things create greater risks for more people:

1. Using major airports rather than small ones.
2. Serving 14 days quarantine in a large, open city hotel rather than a closed, small remote one.

I'm not sure that you understand how and why we have so many fewer cases than other countries:

1. Foreigners are not allowed to enter the country.
2. You can't travel between states - our INTERNAL borders are closed.
3. There is 14 days mandatory quarantine even if you fly from Sydney to Adelaide or Brisbane or Perth.

Everybody knows that as we loosen the restrictions there will be a resurgence in infection levels.

You seem not to understand that the revenue from a tour by India is important to Cricket Australia but is trivial to the nation of Australia compared with lost revenue from American visitors, British visitors, Chinese visitors, Kiwi visitors but also compared with the lost DOMESTIC travel market.

The June / July school holidays normally see $4 billion in DOMESTIC travel - flights, hotels, restaurants etc. Do you really think that anyone at government level is saying "Forget Aussies and their $4 billion of travel - here is a chance to ensure that the existing $300 million 6 year TV rights deal with Sony India isn't squandered."

Of course Cricket Australia want the tour to proceed. Unfortunately there are over 500 other sports, hotels and airlines in the country which employ more people and are ahead of them in the queue.

My son is at university in an Australian capital city. All lectures are online, he was sent home 6 weeks ago, and barely any overseas students were able to enter the country before the borders closed.

Do you not see that letting anyone into Australia from overseas is risky, and that the following things create greater risks for more people:

1. Using major airports rather than small ones.
2. Serving 14 days quarantine in a large, open city hotel rather than a closed, small remote one.

I'm not sure that you understand how and why we have so many fewer cases than other countries:

1. Foreigners are not allowed to enter the country.
2. You can't travel between states - our INTERNAL borders are closed.
3. There is 14 days mandatory quarantine even if you fly from Sydney to Adelaide or Brisbane or Perth.

Everybody knows that as we loosen the restrictions there will be a resurgence in infection levels.

You seem not to understand that the revenue from a tour by India is important to Cricket Australia but is trivial to the nation of Australia compared with lost revenue from American visitors, British visitors, Chinese visitors, Kiwi visitors but also compared with the lost DOMESTIC travel market.

The June / July school holidays normally see $4 billion in DOMESTIC travel - flights, hotels, restaurants etc. Do you really think that anyone at government level is saying "Forget Aussies and their $4 billion of travel - here is a chance to ensure that the existing $300 million 6 year TV rights deal with Sony India isn't squandered."

Of course Cricket Australia want the tour to proceed. Unfortunately there are over 500 other sports, hotels and airlines in the country which employ more people and are ahead of them in the queue.

Tour is in November. Australia will pass its stage 3 restrictions by then. I don’t see the t20 World Cup happening so a loss to CA and ICC. They are gonna move the earth to make a 300 million dollar tour that’s what I think.
So Indians will be in the CBD of a major city rather then being asked to live in a detention Center.

Tour is in November. Australia will pass its stage 3 restrictions by then. I don’t see the t20 World Cup happening so a loss to CA and ICC. They are gonna move the earth to make a 300 million dollar tour that’s what I think.
So Indians will be in the CBD of a major city rather then being asked to live in a detention Center.

It's not a "$300 million tour".

Cricket Australia signed a 6 year deal with Sony India in October 2017. Nobody knows the value, but it included this tour as 1/6 of the cricketing activity, and as one of two Indian Test tours of Australia during that period. If it really was a "$300 million contract", this summer represents around $50 million of it.

Source: https://www.cricket.com.au/news/son...cket-india-subcontinent-ashes-star/2017-10-10

You don't seem to understand how Pandemics work.

Until there is a vaccine - which certainly won't be this year, and probably won't be next year either - there are only two ways to keep the spread under control, and both need to be aggressively implemented.

Technique 1 - is to keep it out, with closed borders and aggressive quarantining.

Technique 2 - is to slow its spread by keeping everyone distanced and keeping all non-essential activities closed.

The whole point is that as the restrictions are reduced, the virus will spread again. And then the restrictions will be even more tightly imposed. And this will continue until there's a vaccine.

Countries like Australia and New Zealand are actually more vulnerable to resumed travel than England or the USA. At least in England 20% of people already have immunity - here in Australia it's not even 1%. Which means that if we open up, our hospitals get overwhelmed and our economy collapses.

Opening up is an incredibly foolish move and it's going to backfire. India's tour will end up either not happening or grossly curtailed. If it does happen, I suspect that all 4 Tests will have to be played behind closed doors at the same stadium. After 2 weeks in Tamworth or Christmas Island.

Last edited:

Why would we risk crashing our entire economy (by bringing back the virus we sacrificed so much to eliminate) for the sake of a little cricket tour which only enriches Cricket Australia which only employs 200 people?

Why would that be a priority?

Why would we risk crashing our entire economy (by bringing back the virus we sacrificed so much to eliminate) for the sake of a little cricket tour which only enriches Cricket Australia which only employs 200 people?

Why would that be a priority?

if things don't become better then now by November then definitely everything will crash. After August i think economy will be a priority for any sane government.

if things don't become better then now by November then definitely everything will crash. After August i think economy will be a priority for any sane government.

I am enjoying this debate with you, so thank you. We don't have to agree!

I would caution you to be extremely careful with the sources that you rely upon with this. Two in particular have very strong vested interests.

Firstly, all cricket.com.au sources represent Cricket Australia. They have failed to save enough of their revenue and are now trapped having overspent. They are desperate for an Ashes tour or, failing that, an India tour.

Secondly, foxsports.com.au sources are part of the Murdoch Empire which is largely lobbying for the USA's premature return to work. Fox owns 65% of Foxtel, the country's sole - and grossly overpriced - Pay TV provider. Foxtel was already dying in the face of streaming competition from Netflix, Amazon and Stan, and the loss of live sport has effectively doomed it.

Fox Sports own the Cricket Australia broadcast rights and Foxtel is the platform on which they are sold. Both are desperate for the tour to proceed.

The problem is, AFL and NRL are sports in Australia which generate far more revenue, and Cricket Australia is a small sports body which hardly employs anyone. I could name ten hotels in and around Cairns which have more at stake during the Pandemic than Cricket Australia does.

I am enjoying this debate with you, so thank you. We don't have to agree!

I would caution you to be extremely careful with the sources that you rely upon with this. Two in particular have very strong vested interests.

Firstly, all cricket.com.au sources represent Cricket Australia. They have failed to save enough of their revenue and are now trapped having overspent. They are desperate for an Ashes tour or, failing that, an India tour.

Secondly, foxsports.com.au sources are part of the Murdoch Empire which is largely lobbying for the USA's premature return to work. Fox owns 65% of Foxtel, the country's sole - and grossly overpriced - Pay TV provider. Foxtel was already dying in the face of streaming competition from Netflix, Amazon and Stan, and the loss of live sport has effectively doomed it.

Fox Sports own the Cricket Australia broadcast rights and Foxtel is the platform on which they are sold. Both are desperate for the tour to proceed.

The problem is, AFL and NRL are sports in Australia which generate far more revenue, and Cricket Australia is a small sports body which hardly employs anyone. I could name ten hotels in and around Cairns which have more at stake during the Pandemic than Cricket Australia does.

Thanks same here enjoying the debate. You are true about NewsCorp and Murdoch in Australian media lol.
Though one of my source works in Consulate Affairs of India in Sydney and he was telling CA really wants that tour to happen and is lobbying liberal party ministers through their connections.

Last edited:
Thanks same here enjoying the debate. You are true about NewsCorp and Murdoch in Australian media lol.
Though one of my source works in Consulate Affairs of India in Sydney and he was telling CA really wants that tour to happen and is lobbying liberal party ministers through their connections.
Yes, Cricket Australia have done what the BCCI has done: assumed that TV revenue is guaranteed and failed to save enough cash for a crisis. They now desperately need Sony TV to pay the next instalment, which I’m guessing is $300 million divided by 6, which makes $50 million

Two Dynamo Dresden players have just tested positive. I don’t think there is a safe way to play International sport before a vaccine arrives.

CA desperately needs the money.

They will get around 200mn from their rights deal with their australian broadcaster

While Sony will pay them 80 to 100mn just to show this in India.

The decision of when India go, where they stay and when and how matches will be played, will be discussed by some of the highest ranked govt officials and will be released after that.

If this tour goes ahead, Indian team will stay at a luxurious hotel as per their stature and not some detention center as one guy wants to believe and then provides no evidence backing such a suggestion. He may wish it but thats not going to happen.

CA desperately needs the money.

They will get around 200mn from their rights deal with their australian broadcaster

While Sony will pay them 80 to 100mn just to show this in India.

The decision of when India go, where they stay and when and how matches will be played, will be discussed by some of the highest ranked govt officials and will be released after that.

If this tour goes ahead, Indian team will stay at a luxurious hotel as per their stature and not some detention center as one guy wants to believe and then provides no evidence backing such a suggestion. He may wish it but thats not going to happen.
Have you read my post?

There is already a precedent - the NZ Warriors - for a foreign sports team getting an exemption to be allowed entry into Australia.

But inter-state quarantine rules apply to them, and they were allowed entry into Australia on condition that:

1. They were not allowed to enter at a large airport.

2. They were not allowed to serve their 14 day quarantine upon arrival in a city: they had to take over a small, rural property.

If India get an exemption it is likely to be applied the same.

Tamworth worked for the Kiwis arriving from NZ. But for India, coming from the opposite direction, the options are likely to be:

1. Use the former Christmas Island Resort. (If they built a cricket pitch this would actually have enough rooms to host the World T20!)

2. Arrive and spend the 14 days in Broome, possibly at Cable Beach Club and using the High School’s Oval.

3. Arrive and spend the 14 days in Darwin, where they could walk to the Oval from the former Sky City Resort.

I am actually enjoying this. For far too long the Australians have mistreated Asian teams and made them feel that them playing in Australia was a privilege and that they were lucky to be there.

The tables have turned now

I don't see why they can't just be tested as soon as they land and be regularly tested throughout the tour? Why do they have to be quarantined? It is all becoming a bit too silly now. We need to go back to regular life.

Last edited:
I am actually enjoying this. For far too long the Australians have mistreated Asian teams and made them feel that them playing in Australia was a privilege and that they were lucky to be there.

The tables have turned now
it was always about who can generate more money. England off course Ashes is quite popular among average aussies.
It was Windies in 1970s and 1980s as crowds wanted to watch them.
Currently it is India due to large viewership. If Pakistan and Bangladesh can bring money, they will welcomed with a red carpet.
Money talks.

Last edited:
I don't see why they can't just be tested as soon as they land and be regularly tested throughout the tour? Why do they have to be quarantined? It is all becoming a bit too silly now. We need to go back to regular life.
Because that’s not safe. It wouldn’t work.

Imagine that Shami is infected by touching a contaminated surface three days before departure.

He won’t turn positive on testing until between 5 and 11 days after arrival in Australia. But he can almost certainly transmit it onwards during most or all of those 14 days.

If he is in quarantine in Tamworth, the worst case scenario is that he infects the room cleaner and whoever brings him room service - but they don’t transmit it to the wider Australian public.

If he flies into Sydney Airport and takes a team bus to the Sydney Hilton hotel and wanders down to Pitt Street Mall he could infect dozens of people. One person is always the origin of a local cluster.

We in Australia are all subject to 14 days quarantine upon arrival and 14 days when travelling interstate. To expect Indians to be exempt is a bit ambitious.

Why do they have to be quarantined?

It is all becoming a bit too silly now.

We need to go back to regular life.
This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Until there is either a vaccine or a proven treatment, going “back to regular life” is an insane idea.

This is a highly contagious virus which wrecks health infrastructure and budgets. If we remain in a Pandemic we don’t just lose the elderly directly to this, but the 50 year old guy with narrow arteries and the 40 year old woman with breast cancer die too.

The Australian and New Zealand approaches have worked, but we need to stick with them for years, not months. We need to be self-sufficient and accept that international travel is a thing of the past for years to come.

No vaccine or cure? No international travel whatsoever! Zero!

Last edited:
Pretty hilarious to see that some people think Pakistan would refuse to tour if Australia offered them the same amount of money. Pak is already ready to sell its soul to host India.

Pretty hilarious to see that some people think Pakistan would refuse to tour if Australia offered them the same amount of money. Pak is already ready to sell its soul to host India.

Pakistan has not hosted India for the past 15 years and even then it is not desperately crying for help from anyone in these Covid 19 times unlike Cricket Australia and ECB. In fact the ECB is now requesting the PCB to play 5 test matches in England instead of the original 3 as previously agreed upon and the PCB in return are demanding that the English Cricket team agree to send the English team to Pakistan for a full fledged tour

Pakistan has not hosted India for the past 15 years and even then it is not desperately crying for help from anyone in these Covid 19 times unlike Cricket Australia and ECB. In fact the ECB is now requesting the PCB to play 5 test matches in England instead of the original 3 as previously agreed upon and the PCB in return are demanding that the English Cricket team agree to send the English team to Pakistan for a full fledged tour

I have not seen Pakistan play more then 3 test matches overseas for a long time. It would be good to see a 5 test series

I have not seen Pakistan play more then 3 test matches overseas for a long time. It would be good to see a 5 test series

Pakistan were having 4 match test series in England since from 2006 to 2016,except last tour.

Australia didn't have too many cases. I think cricket can resume there much earlier.

One thing is clear. Majority of the boards are going to start lining up in front of BCCI office. They will find that CA is already camping outside waiting for the BCCI office to open.

What money is being offered to India here?

Wow, indian cricketers are willing to put their lives on the line for the sake of cricket whereas ACB rakes in $300m ?

So noble

Answer the question with a proper source backing it.

Thank you.

Hopefully the tour happens. Australia vs India is box office stuff. Love the intensity they play at when facing each other.

Are you serious?

Yes I am.

India vs Australia is more intense than Pakistan vs India. Only the fans and Pakistan players take that game seriously. Indian players just treat as a normal game hence they come out on top most of the times.

You can tell when they play Australia they are more intense. Can also tell by the sledging and verbal confrontations that both teams see each other as rivals.

Bear in mind, it’s still against the law to cross from New South Wales (Sydney) into Queensland (Brisbane).

And even if you obtain permission, you have to serve an additional 2 week quarantine.

Bear in mind, it’s still against the law to cross from New South Wales (Sydney) into Queensland (Brisbane).

And even if you obtain permission, you have to serve an additional 2 week quarantine.

Why are you making it sound like India is illegally and forcefully trying to enter Australia? Lol. If CA is inviting a team, they will definitely ensure all legalities are fulfilled. You seem to be so hurt with this news that India will play 5 tests. Dont worry Australia might give a better fight this time with Smith/Warner back and actually can beat India.

Does touring team also gets some share from bilateral series? I really dont know.

depends on who is bringing larger revenue. In this case since broadcasters are paying more money since India is coming to tour. So Indian will get a fair share from the proceeds. Broadcasters pay money based on who is playing, which star players are playing. Asia Cup 2018 broadcaster reduced the money by a small margin since Kohli was rested.

depends on who is bringing larger revenue. In this case since broadcasters are paying more money since India is coming to tour. So Indian will get a fair share from the proceeds. Broadcasters pay money based on who is playing, which star players are playing. Asia Cup 2018 broadcaster reduced the money by a small margin since Kohli was rested.

Touring team doesnt get any share of revenue.

Wow, indian cricketers are willing to put their lives on the line for the sake of cricket whereas ACB rakes in $300m ?

So noble

On another thread you’re pleased with ‘Gesture’ Pakistani team is showing by willing to tour England during time of pandemic. And here you’re bashing Team India for doing the exact same thing that too 6 months from now.

Regarding $300M, that’s for CA to earn from the tour. BCCI do not get anything from that, similar PCB is also helping ECB in a time where they could possibly lose the entire summer with no cricket, by touring they are potentially helping them from bankruptcy.

So, why you’re praising one team and bashing another for doing pretty much the same thing? #DoubleStandards

On another thread you’re pleased with ‘Gesture’ Pakistani team is showing by willing to tour England during time of pandemic. And here you’re bashing Team India for doing the exact same thing that too 6 months from now.

Regarding $300M, that’s for CA to earn from the tour. BCCI do not get anything from that, similar PCB is also helping ECB in a time where they could possibly lose the entire summer with no cricket, by touring they are potentially helping them from bankruptcy.

So, why you’re praising one team and bashing another for doing pretty much the same thing? #DoubleStandards

Australia is cancelling all its other bilateral and ftp commitments including the T-20 WC in exchange for this India series which was not in the FTP before. The Pakistan England series was already an FTP arrangement. There is a world of a difference between the two situations

India wouldn’t do this for Pakistan? In fact they would encourage Pakistani bankruptcy. Let’s not talk about standards when India is involved boss!

India wouldn’t do this for Pakistan? In fact they would encourage Pakistani bankruptcy. Let’s not talk about standards when India is involved boss!

So India owes some favor to Pakistan? Please elaborate?

Australia is cancelling all its other bilateral and ftp commitments including the T-20 WC in exchange for this India series which was not in the FTP before. The Pakistan England series was already an FTP arrangement. There is a world of a difference between the two situations
Things change as per situation. How can 12 teams travel in the middle of the pandemic. Arranging logistics will be a nightmare and costly. Pretty sure if things were normal even I would prefer t20 World Cup I had already bought tickets for India England match in Melbourne. But now we have to adapt.CA Hand is forced not that they want to cancel t20. You are giving an impression that India forced the Australians to cancel World Cup and play only them. Is that what you believe??

india would help pakistan but what's the benefit to india though? You need to offer something in return. I am not sure india vs pakistan post 2010 would be as enthralling to watch like it was in the 90s.

No real personality, star power or entertainer like shoaib.

World cricket needs guys like shoaib.

Why are you making it sound like India is illegally and forcefully trying to enter Australia? Lol. If CA is inviting a team, they will definitely ensure all legalities are fulfilled. You seem to be so hurt with this news that India will play 5 tests. Dont worry Australia might give a better fight this time with Smith/Warner back and actually can beat India.
You’re not listening.

Cricket Australia wants the revenue, both overseas and domestic TV payments. Of course they want it to happen.

But the rules and exemptions are highly restrictive, and even if they get into Australia neither they nor the Aussies can travel interstate without commencing a further two week quarantine period every time they move cities across state boundaries.

We know this as a fact: it is affecting the NZ Warriors right now, who are quarantined in Tamworth, and it is forcing Aussie Rules and Rugby League to change their fixture list because teams can’t cross state borders.

india would help pakistan but what's the benefit to india though? You need to offer something in return. I am not sure india vs pakistan post 2010 would be as enthralling to watch like it was in the 90s.

No real personality, star power or entertainer like shoaib.

World cricket needs guys like shoaib.

India would not help Pakistan now. No need to sugar coat it is the reality now. the policy has changed from Carrot to Stick until the terrorism issues are not solved.

India would not help Pakistan now. No need to sugar coat it is the reality now. the policy has changed from Carrot to Stick until the terrorism issues are not solved.

Well pakistan brought it on themselves. They claim they can function without out help but you still hear the CEO of Pak board say that pakistan lose more than 200 million without india tours.

personally I think both countries should get over it and just move on. I would like to see tests and bilaterals being played between the two nations.

I have many friends who absolutely abhor that idea though. They still fear for the safety of our players.m which is absurd.

With empty stadiums , we might see a different Kohli, he engages with crowds, players and everyone

Interesting to see how he performs when there is no crowd for Kohli to engage with and express his wild aggression:vk1

I’m sorry where does Pakistan gets in this? This is matter of following the FTP OR pre agreed series before this pandemic hit the world.
Regards to Pakistan, I’m sure they are self sustainable as we have heard and seen, so why do you need India to bail you guys out?
I have not seen a single statement from current BCCI regime anything in regards to PCB. They haven’t done anything anti PCB, so please spare me this nonsense that they are out to bankrupt PCB. They have already offer to help smaller boards who will be facing financial hardship. Due to political reason they are not in good terms with PCB otherwise trust me they would very much like to host Pakistan and milk $$$.

CA have no control over cancelling WT20, they are just following the govt directives. It’s up to ICC to decide what they want to do. To be frank, it is wise decision to hold it next year, as it will be a nightmare to host so many countries during this pandemic while maintaining social distancing.

India-Australia was already planned as it is part of Test Championship. There is a talk of adding 5th test match but not confirm yet.

So, get your facts right mate, India-Australia series was pre-planned(Before pandemic) and was part of FTP.

Cricket Australia closing in on $300 million Indian lifeline this summer

Cricket Australia chief executive Kevin Roberts is increasingly upbeat that India will arrive for a lucrative Test tour this summer, but has cautioned staff about the need for a cost-cutting drive.

Roberts spoke with CA's workers, the vast majority of which have been stood down for the rest of the financial year, during a regular video catch-up on Wednesday.

It's understood Roberts, who has led his organisation's productive talks with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) throughout the COVID-19 shutdown, suggested there is reason to feel optimistic about the chances of Virat Kohli's team arriving later this year.

That tour will deliver $300 million in broadcast revenue to CA; possibly more if India agree to play additional ODIs as is being discussed.
The Australian Cricketers' Association (ACA) feels that India's arrival should avert a crisis, with chairman Greg Dyer arguing that CA's current push for cuts is a sign that "something is horribly wrong with the current model".

The governing body has warned that staging the Australia-India series will not be a panacea for all of its various COVID-19 financial woes.

Gate takings will obviously be down in the absence of crowds, while marketing firm Two Circles has projected the global sports sponsorship spend will fall by approximately $26 billion this year as businesses suffer in a stalled economy.

Roberts suggested to staff the Women's Big Bash League (WBBL) season will not be shortened, a proposal that had drawn public opposition from star wicketkeeper Alyssa Healy and the ACA.

CA staff are keen to have more certainty regarding the prospect of redundancies, with some fearing they may not have a job to come back to on July 1.

CA is still trying to cut funding to its state associations by 25 per cent, a proposal that Cricket NSW and Queensland Cricket are yet to agree to.

Queensland Cricket is believed to be in the final stages of finalising a reduction in its staff.

Cricket Victoria, which recently cut a staggering 36 per cent of its workforce, has redeployed Lachie Stevens as coach of its women's side and WBBL franchise Melbourne Renegades.

Stevens had been serving as caretaker coach of Victoria's men's team since Andrew McDonald last year joined CA to become Justin Langer's right-hand man and likely successor.

Virat Kohli and India's tour down under will deliver CA $300 million in broadcast revenue (AAP)

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/in...l-needed/b58ab1a6-fc75-42e1-81e8-9a9db22b3518

What are you saying.. India's tour of Australia is always a part of FTP. They are scheduled to play 4 test and 3 ODIs
Now please elaborate World of difference between the two situations.

Australia Cricket need money simple as that - Cricket with India will provide that but what happens if even one case of Covid comes into Australia from India?

'Very willing substitute': Sydney ready to step in to save India tour

Sydney emerged on Monday as an 11th-hour alternative to launch India's $300 million tour of Australia next month, as the worn-out Gabba turf became the latest spanner in the works in Queensland.

Cricket Australia executives met with Queensland Health officials on Monday night following state government pushback there about the proposal for Virat Kohli's team to train at Brisbane's Allan Border Field during its two-week period of quarantine.

With India due to arrive in the country in less than a month, the absence of a formal sign-off has thrown a cloud over the tourists' all-important visit, which was expected to begin with three Twenty20 internationals and three one-day internationals in south-east Queensland before a four-Test series against Australia in Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

CA has booked out an entire city-centre hotel in Brisbane to house the Indian tour party, which is expected to number about 60 including family members, but hesitation from the Palaszczuk government ahead of a state election on Saturday week was threatening to force a late change of plans.

Sources with knowledge of the meeting on Monday night said no resolution had been reached, with Brisbane still in the running to host India but CA had work to do in confirming its bio-secure protocols were suitable. Discussions between CA and health authorities were set to continue this week.

In the event of Queensland falling over as the landing point for Kohli and co, NSW appeared ready to step into the breach, an outcome that would likely see Sydney grab the six limited-overs matches between Australia and India.

Sydney officials have already put their hand up to host the Boxing Day Test if Melbourne is unavailable this year.

"We've got ground availability, we've got the processes and we can certainly manage the biosecurity. We'd certainly be a very willing substitute," said Tony Shepherd, the SCG Trust chairman and chair of the NSW government's new 'Super Trust' tasked with managing Sydney sports and entertainment facilities.

"We'd be interested in helping cricket in any way we could."

With the Argentina rugby team already in Sydney quarantining at a Baulkham Hills hotel and training at Leichhardt Oval ahead of the Rugby Championship, there is a blueprint of sorts for the Berejiklian government to follow with India. CA also has a secure Women's Big Bash League bubble set up at Sydney Olympic Park.

The intransigence of Queensland, however, has left cricket racing the clock to lock in its men's international summer.

Queensland Deputy Premier Steven Miles expressed concern on Monday about the India team flying in from the Indian Premier League bubble in the United Arab Emirates. He said it was a "very different" situation to setting up an AFL-style hub, indicating misgivings about the relaxation of a hard quarantine for players to train at at a cricket ground.

The sport was also awaiting a green light from the federal government for the Indians to touch down in Australia.

"Department of Home Affairs and the Australian Border Force (ABF) have been working with Cricket Australia regarding visa and travel requirements for the Indian cricket team," an ABF spokesperson said.

"The ABF has not received an exemption request for the Indian cricket team to travel to Australia at this time."

Another issue emerging out of Queensland on Monday was the state of the Gabba surface after hosting 34 AFL games before the historic grand final there on Saturday. A source said the ground was urgently looking for replacement turf to get it in condition for a cricket season supposed to start to with multiple matches between Australia and India.

CA has already been knocked back by the Western Australia government in its bid for returning Australian players from a tour of England and the IPL to quarantine and train in Perth. They are instead quarantining in Adelaide, which is another potential first destination for India, although the South Australian government's insistence that players train only in groups of four had led CA to prioritise Queensland.

"We are happy to consider any approach put forward by Cricket Australia however we always prioritise the health and safety of South Australians," a South Australia Health spokesman said on Monday.

CA had not applied to the NSW government about India's quarantine period because the state's border with South Australia, where the first Test is pencilled in for December 17-21, was closed at the time it sent detailed proposals to Queensland and SA.

CA's host free-to-air broadcaster Seven West Media has kept a close eye on events, and could use any further fixturing drama to strengthen its bid for a cut in the $75 million-a-year rights it pays. Seven remains frustrated fixtures for the international campaign and Big Bash League are yet to be released, and has taken its rights fight against CA to the Australian Chamber for International and Commercial Arbitration.

As revealed by The Age and Sydney Morning Herald, CA and Seven are even at loggerheads over nominations over who should be the independent arbitrator of what the rights this summer are worth.

Source : https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...ep-in-to-save-india-tour-20201019-p566dp.html

Australia think they have it bad, how about they come here and see our 50,000+ daily cases?

I work in the same state as Sydney, and before I can start work each day I have to attest that I have not been in Sydney or Melbourne for the last 14 days.

The Aussie government likes to assert that NSW is the Gold Standard for the pandemic, but actually they currently have the worst record in the country, and are taking the highest risks.

(Reuters) - Only a few weeks before the players are due to start arriving, Cricket Australia are still negotiating with Queensland health officials over the quarantining of the India team ahead of their blockbuster test series.

The India squad is scheduled to quarantine in Brisbane and play six short-form internationals in Queensland in late November and early December before moving on to Adelaide for the first of four tests.

The Indian and many of the Australian players will be coming from the United Arab Emirates, where the Indian Premier League (IPL) concludes on Nov. 10, but CA have not yet had their plans agreed by Queensland's health department.

The chairman of the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust, which controls the historic venue and other stadiums in the city, said New South Wales would be willing and able to help out.

"We've got ground availability, we've got the processes and we can certainly manage the biosecurity. We'd certainly be a very willing substitute," Tony Shepherd told the Sydney Morning Herald on Tuesday.

"We'd be interested in helping cricket in any way we could."

Last edited:
I work in the same state as Sydney, and before I can start work each day I have to attest that I have not been in Sydney or Melbourne for the last 14 days.

The Aussie government likes to assert that NSW is the Gold Standard for the pandemic, but actually they currently have the worst record in the country, and are taking the highest risks.

Probably Sydney and Melbourne both are high risk. Glad we dont have anything planned for Melbourne. Been stuck in this lockdown and wouldn't want a useless series effecting delaying this lockdown further.

India quarantine given official green light by NSW government

The NSW Government has given the green light to India quarantining and training in Sydney, only 72 hours after Cricket Australia lodged an application following pushback from Queensland.

CA was made to wait for five weeks by the Queensland government and its health department only to learn in a meeting on Monday that there were major reservations north of the border about the sport's plan for Virat Kohli's side to spend their first two weeks in Australia next month in Brisbane.

Cricket officials have been left disappointed by their dealings with Queensland on their biosecurity plan for India but they can breathe a sigh of relief after being made to wait far longer than they would have liked to confirm the game's international men's summer programme.

Though CA was still awaiting sign-off from the Board of Control for Cricket in India cricket officials, an announcement of the revised Test and limited-overs calendar is imminent following the NSW approval on Thursday.

The plan includes Kohli's team starting a six-game white-ball run against Australia at the SCG the day they come out of quarantine.

Under NSW's proposal, India's players will be able to train while completing their 14-day period in isolation, whereas the Queensland government wanted the visitors to stay at a resort to avoid exposure to the public while travelling from their hotel to training.

Sources familiar with the schedule have said Sydney will host four of the six matches between Australia and India (the teams are playing three one-day internationals and three Twenty20 internationals before a four-Test series) and Canberra will stage the other two. These matches were slated to be held in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Queensland's intransigence is shaping as a massive boon for Sydney, which will gain significant global exposure with what is shaping as a festival of sport. The city will play host to State of Origin, the Wallabies and now the world's most watched cricket team.

Cricket officials are confident they will be able to sell out the SCG four times, with the venue's capacity reduced to 23,000 by COVID-19 restrictions. Sydney is home to a large Indian diaspora who rarely get to see Kohli's side play live.

The first two ODIs are now scheduled to be held at the SCG on November 27 and 29, with Australia and India then heading to Canberra for the third ODI and the first match of the T20 series before the last two T20 games back in Sydney on December 6 and 8.

Under the reworked schedule, which was still to be confirmed, the first Test would be held in Adelaide from December 17 to 21 before Melbourne stages the Boxing Day Test from December 26 to 30, Sydney hosts the New Year's Test from January 7 to 11 and Brisbane holds the fourth match from January 15 to 19.

It's expected the squads for the limited-overs matches will be announced once the fixture is released.

The impending release of the international schedule will ease some of the pressure CA is facing from Seven West Media in their high-stakes broadcast rights feud, which is set to head to the Australian Chamber of International and Commercial Arbitration.

The network is seeking a reduction in fees due to the uncertainty over the schedule caused by the pandemic and concerns over the quality of the Big Bash League.

CA have offered a small reduction but believe they will honour their obligations by staging a full international and BBL season.

CA hopes the border between NSW and Queensland will be open by then.

Source : https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...-light-by-nsw-government-20201022-p567ks.html

Probably Sydney and Melbourne both are high risk. Glad we dont have anything planned for Melbourne. Been stuck in this lockdown and wouldn't want a useless series effecting delaying this lockdown further.

useless from your perspective. very useful from Cricket Australia and summer of cricket, in Australia from Australian perspective.
The practice nets and grounds in Melbourne have opened as well.. looks like boxing day test will happen in melbourne.

I hope India prepare properly like Aussies did back in 2017 albeit in a losing cause.

India need to practice first class matches and not play odi and T20 before a test series.

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Cricket Australia have been given the all clear for the India squad to quarantine in Sydney ahead of their blockbuster test series around the New Year, the Sydney Morning Herald reported on Thursday.

The tourists had been scheduled to arrive in Brisbane and undergo quarantine there before playing six short-form internationals in Queensland and moving on to Adelaide for the first test in early December.

With time running out before the arrival of the players next month, and negotiations with Queensland health officials stalling over aspects of Cricket Australia’s plans, however, the governing body started exploring other options.

The Sydney Morning Herald said the New South Wales government had approved CA’s plans only 72 hours after they were lodged, clearing the way for the tourists to arrive in Sydney and play the short form matches there and in Canberra.

Cricket Australia offered no comment on the report when contacted by Reuters.

The Indian and many of the top Australian players will be arriving from the United Arab Emirates where the Indian Premier League (IPL) concludes on Nov. 10.

An agreement with the New South Wales government would allow Cricket Australia to finally confirm the international schedule for the home season, including the four tests against India in Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

I cant wait for this series to start. As much as I loved IPL this year for bringing smile to our faces during these strangest of times, I have had enough of t20 cricket for now. Lets bring some real old school red ball cricket back.

Its good that we are starting with LOIs first because team India will be flying straight to Australia from IPL. LOIs can be used as a prep game and warm ups for the real deal to follow bcoz quite honestly no one will remember the results of ODI/T20 series. Its the 4 test matches which is most important and the one we should only focus on.

It also gives me immense pleasure to say that we are starting as favourites this time and 1st time on an away tour downunder courtesy to our heroics of last series. Australian side will definitely remember the defeat of last tour and will try to take revenge. But hopefully our players will be ready for the battle and will show the same grit, determination and will power they displayed last time.

Below will be my playing XI for 1st test:

Mayank Aggarwal
Rohit Sharma
Cheteshwar Pujara
Virat Kohli (c)
Lokesh Rahul
Hanuma Vihari
Rishabh Pant (wk)
Ravi Ashwin
Mohammed Shami
Navdeep Saini
Jaspreet Bumrah

The above is a terrific team and best suited in Australian conditions. I am also not liking the meek attitude from my fellow Indians who are saying we will lose this time just because Smith & Warner is back in the side. Let me openly declare and say as a true fan just to spice things up, we will defeat Australia AGAIN on this series like we did last time.

We won the 'Border-Gavaskar' trophy last time and this time quite frankly
#WeWontGiveItBack

Its good that we are starting with LOIs first because team India will be flying straight to Australia from IPL. LOIs can be used as a prep game and warm ups for the real deal to follow bcoz quite honestly no one will remember the results of ODI/T20 series. Its the 4 test matches which is most important and the one we should only focus on.

Lol what? I'd much rather we play a couple of 3-day games so that red ball players would get some game time.

How many of our LOI players will actually play Tests other than Kohli, Bumrah and Shami? We desperately need the likes of Pujara, Mayank, Rahane, Vihari etc to get some game time.

Below will be my playing XI for 1st test:

Mayank Aggarwal
Rohit Sharma
Cheteshwar Pujara
Virat Kohli (c)
Lokesh Rahul
Hanuma Vihari
Rishabh Pant (wk)
Ravi Ashwin
Mohammed Shami
Navdeep Saini
Jaspreet Bumrah

No way Rohit should open against the new ball. We can speculate all we want but captain clueless will pick the following team...

Shaw
Mayank
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Vihari
Pant
Jadeja
Bumrah
Shami
Umesh

:)

I am worrying about Virat's availability in test series.
He might miss one or two tests.

No way Rohit should open against the new ball. We can speculate all we want but captain clueless will pick the following team...

Shaw
Mayank
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Vihari
Pant
Jadeja
Bumrah
Shami
Umesh

:)

Are u kidding?
Rohit is in very good touch.
I dont believe this Shaw in tests. Has no technic poor defensive skills, simply throwing bat here and there.

Ishant is arguably India's best test bowler in SENA, big miss if he doesn't play. Besides that Pujara hasn't played for months so I think he won't do that well.Easy win for australia I think

Ishant is arguably India's best test bowler in SENA, big miss if he doesn't play. Besides that Pujara hasn't played for months so I think he won't do that well.Easy win for australia I think

Rahane also in bad form.

According to Espncricinfo, KL Rahul will not make his red ball comeback in the Border Gavaskar Trophy. It'll be toss between Prithvi Shaw and Shubhman Gill for 3rd opener, both might be selected with one being in reserves.

Ishant Sharma likely to be fit for the Border Gavaskar Trophy right from the 1st test in Adelaide.

Back