India U19s (248/8) overpower South Africa U19s (244/7) by 2 wickets in a thriller to win the first Semi-Final of ICC U19 World Cup 2024

what a comeback from india under pressure. one of the best captains knocks you will see

as i say that, south africa get a wicket haha

Maphaka strikes, 6 down
India U19 need 19 runs in 18 balls.

Its Uday Vs Maphaka for the match

I don't see one future prospect for India from this U19 bunch. The least talented side.

Limbani with a 6 and a 2 to release the pressure

India U19 need 9 runs in 12 balls, with Maphaka having finished his quota of 10

SA has sent down 22 wides in this innings!

SA keeper looks like bloated version of De Kock

SA have capitulated, they have the better individual talent on display but credit has to go to Dhas. Monster knock

Cool. Not the most talented side. But showed heart and also lot of inexperience towards the end. 5th final in a row.

Lol chokers even the juniors are chokers.
Though looking forward to see maphaka in international cricket.

Australia is also not very strong this time just one bowler to afraid off and his name is Vidler. I think it will be India vs Pak final

I don't see one future prospect for India from this U19 bunch. The least talented side.
Limbani seems a decent bowler. Brings the ball in from good length to right hander batsman really well.
Can be groomed to a good bowler.

South Africa U19 pace bowlers are top class.
They are much better than our Mukesh Avesh etc useless bowlers.

mdGMyZL.jpeg

Good win for India from a precarious position. This is where reputations are made.

Maphaka will play for SA & DHAS will be in blue colors in years to come - as I post this , the horrid KETO ad is ON ~~

Pointless tournament. The amount of following it generates on this forum is funny.

To win this game chasing after being at 4/32 against SA speedsters at their home in a WC SF, is a stuff of legends. Talented or not talented, this bunch can hold its head high.

It is a U19 World Cup. Even football has it.

It is not as important as senior's team but is still quite important.

No it's not. There is no prestige in winning it. And it's a poor predictor of success at senior level.

SA played very well.

Future is looking good for SA.
Future will look good for SA the day they end their quota system and reward merit over race. Otherwise all their talented white kids will go to Eng, Aus, NZ and they will be left with more Bavumas.

They have always had the talent to be the best, but politics has ruined everything good about SA cricket.

Future will look good for SA the day they end their quota system and reward merit over race. Otherwise all their talented white kids will go to Eng, Aus, NZ and they will be left with more Bavumas.

They have always had the talent to be the best, but politics has ruined everything good about SA cricket.

You have a point.

South Africa lost so many great players due to quota system. Kevin Pietersen, Devon Conway, Neil Wagner, Andrew Strauss etc.

Pointless tournament. The amount of following it generates on this forum is funny.
I have been Following this since 2006 regularly. It is not pointless. This is where guys like Kohli, Smith, Kane ,boult, Pant whole bunch of players started. Very exciting tournament especially for Indjan fans as they do very well here.

India won a thrilling chase by two wickets.

Toss: India won the toss and elected to bowl first

Result: India win by two wickets

Uday Saharan won the toss and opted to chase in the first semi-final. This was the first time India bowled first in the tournament, having batted first in all five games so far.

Despite a considerable slowdown in the middle overs, South Africa managed to reach a decent total on the back of attacking cricket in the initial and late phases of their innings. Despite losing four wickets for 32, India manged to complete a thrilling chase on the back of a brilliant stand between Saharan and Sachin Dhas.

How India chased down the target

The Young Proteas were right on the mark from the get-go. Kwena Maphaka started the innings with a spiteful bouncer, which took the edge of Adarsh Singh's bat and flew to the keeper. In the fourth over, Tristan Luus had India's star batter in the tournament, Musheer Khan, caught at second slip for merely four.

It was Luus who took the lead for the African side, getting two more wickets in his opening spell, and leaving India reeling at 32/4 by the 12th over. After a watchful start, the stand between Saharan and Sachin Dhas picked off. The latter took the lead in run-scoring, hitting three fours in the 19th over. India's 100 came up in the 25th over. Dhas had already made his half-century by the time the duo's stand stood at hundred.

As India grew stronger, Juan James went back to his strike bowlers Luus and Maphaka. However, India's fifth-wicket pair kept their cool. Mixing thoughtful running with attacking strokes, the duo closed in on the target. It was Maphaka who earned South Africa their fifth wicket, by getting Dhas to chip one towards covers in the 43rd over to break the stand. The left-arm pacer was at his very best and had Avanish Aravelly off the last ball of his spell to leave the equation at 19 off 18.

Saharan kept his cool, and with decent support from Raj Limbani, brought the side within one run of the target despite a couple of wickets falling to keep the Proteas in the game. Limbani hit the winning runs off the second last ball of the 49th over, although with the scores level, India also lost the skipper for 81 to a brilliant run-out.

How the South Africa innings unfolded

Raj Limbani struck early when he accounted for the dangerous Steve Stolk. The fiery batter hit two fours and a six during his brief stay but went after a wide one and nicked one behind the stumps. South Africa's other opener, Lhuan-dre Pretorius opened his arms after this loss and hit a flurry of boundaries. Despite losing David Teeger (0) to a brilliant inswinger from Limbani, the Proteas were situated at a healthy 55/2 at the end of the first Powerplay.

India spinners were able to bring down the scoring rate thereafter, with just 63 runs coming between overs 11-30. The pressure finally got to Pretorius, who tried to hoick Musheer Khan over mid-wicket but was held at short mid-wicket. Abhishek Murugan took an exceptional catch, holding on to a ball that was racing past him with both hands.

Richard Seletswane and Oliver Whitehead tried to pick the scoring rate with a range of attacking strokes, but Saharan stuck to his spinners. This yielded Whitehead's wicket at the end of the 40th over.

Source: ICC

I have been Following this since 2006 regularly. It is not pointless. This is where guys like Kohli, Smith, Kane ,boult, Pant whole bunch of players started. Very exciting tournament especially for Indjan fans as they do very well here.
While I follow u19 wc, @AMSS is right. These tournament get outsize attention.

This is a developmental endeavour but people still want good match results every time.

And it is a poor predictor of future success despite some names making their names in it. Those people were NOT made here though. They were results of years of investment on every level.

While I follow u19 wc, @AMSS is right. These tournament get outsize attention.

This is a developmental endeavour but people still want good match results every time.

And it is a poor predictor of future success despite some names making their names in it. Those people were NOT made here though. They were results of years of investment on every level.
Not a poor predictor..lot of players were U19 player once. Shoriful islam u19 world cup winner. Played a role in test win in NZ. This is the best world event at junior level. So there is always a buzz about this tournament. Even if they don't make it no big deal Understand we shouldn't be overly critical if they fail. But it is exciting to follow this as we may be witnessing next KG Rabada, Next Nortje.

Maybe this India team is less talented but they seem to gell together and its been a team performances rather than individual brilliance.

Not possible after Brexit.

Not sure about Aus and NZ. Eng door is closed thanks to brexit

I have watched only one game (that is only a short highlight) between India U19 against BD U19 at the league stage. Our boys looked bang-average (especially bowlers) if not overly exciting. I thought we would not cross the knockout rounds, but I was pleasantly surprised to see our boys going all the way to the finals.

First, it was the elimination of the ill-mannered BD U19 by Pak U19 in their final Super 6 game:ROFLMAO:, and now this achievement by our team.

Super Happy with these results! :srini

I have watched only one game (that is only a short highlight) between India U19 against BD U19 at the league stage. Our boys looked bang-average (especially bowlers) if not overly exciting. I thought we would not cross the knockout rounds, but I was pleasantly surprised to see our boys going all the way to the finals.

First, it was the elimination of the ill-mannered BD U19 by Pak U19 in their final Super 6 game:ROFLMAO:, and now this achievement by our team.

Super Happy with these results! :srini
That is one reason i look forward to this every time. Looking for future potential. I think Saumy Pandey gives me some hope. Majority of his dismissals were leg befores or bowled. Batsmen misread him often.

Lol chokers even the juniors are chokers.
Though looking forward to see maphaka in international cricket.
Juniors are not chokers. They have already won an under-19 world cup. Rabada/Markram batch. Pakistan was the finalist. Pakistan had the liks of Imam ul haq, Hasan Raza, Saud Shakeel.

Sachin Dhas has been extremely impressive with his range of shots.

Very explosive young batter.

Not as impressed with anyone else.

Sachin Dhas has been extremely impressive with his range of shots.

Very explosive young batter.

Not as impressed with anyone else.
Musheer is shaping up well. But need a bit more experience at the first class level. That ramp shot was similar to Tendulkar's. Sweeps well. Plays all around the dial. He looks in better shape than his brother. Plus he can bowl. It is very rare to have a right handed batsman/left arm spinner. That is a big plus.

This is what the Ind Sr team needs. Aggressive mentality and attitude when chips are down and counterattack . You can be the most talented but if you dont have the right positive aggressive attitude - you always will struggle in KO games. If this was the Ind Sr team - and they were 4 down , klrahul & jadeja would then just tuk tuk till 40th over, allow the rrr to blow up to 10-12 plus and then collapse and then get applauded for a "brave" useless innings.. Ind Sr team needs more guys like Rinku and these 2 Ind Jr team guys who played counterpunching knocks under a SF KO pressure game

20 wickets in the tournament for maphaka.
Just phenomenal!!
He has attitude of a proper fast bowler.
No highest wicket taker of u 19 tournament has managed to have a successful career in international odi/test cricket unfortunately. Even if there were any it would be an exception.

Last edited by a moderator:
No highest wicket taker of u 19 tournament has managed to have a successful career in international odi/test cricket unfortunately. Even if there were any it would be an exception.

Somehow it doesn't translate.
Look at Wesley madhaveere, highest wicket taker ever at U19 worldcup has now turned in to a pure average batsmen lol.

Back