Indian cricketers who are least liked by Pakistani cricket fans

OMB

First Class Captain
Runs
Who in your opinion is the Indian cricketer who is least liked by the Pakistani fans. This can be for non cricketing reasons too

Probables :

1) Kapil Dev : Was the captain of Indian team who won India world cup and was regularly in competition with Imran Khan as one of the great 4 allrounders of their era.

2) Sachin Tendulkar - who can forget his superb 98 off 75 balls in 2003 WC

3) Harbhajan Singh - Pretty aggressive and in your face bowler who wore his heart on his sleeve. Most PP'ers would definitely remember his time against the Aussies.

4) S. Sreesanth - The gentle unassuming bowler (who am I kidding lol ?)

5) Ravi Shastri - 1985 Melbourne - World Championship of cricket was Shastri defining moment where his 63* helped India beat Pakistan in the finals.

6) Virat Kohli - Kohli wasn't very popular among the Pakistani cricket fans when he began his career due to his on field antics. India and Pakistan will meet in group stages during upcoming T20 WC and this will resume the ever popular Kohli vs Babar debate.

7) Anil Kumble - In this list because of his perfect 10 against Pakistan. The Humble Kumble was in fact a very fierce cricketer on the field and not the one to give into pressure against anyone be it other teams or Kohli.

8) Virender Sehwag - The sultan of Multan was one of the most feared batsmen because of his all out attack and has socred heavily against Pakistan. Scored 21 runs off 2 deliveries off Rana Naved.

9) Rohit Sharma - India's best ODI batsmen did a demolition job with his 140 off 113 balls in the last WC against Pakistan. In purely cricketing terms, he has caused much heartbreak to Pakistan at ICC tournaments>

10) Gautam Gambhir - On popular demand, added to this list

have left out Manoj Prabhakar, Azhar, Dhoni and Chetan Sharma from this list.

Last edited:
Gambhir has to be on the top. Sehwag with the second but other than that, I don't think they hate players that much.

I don't know why Kohli is on the list. He has been very nice to Pakistani players and people in Pakistan usually like his batting too. Same about Dhoni. Kapil Dev is hardly hated by anyone.

I don't know why Kohli is on the list. He has been very nice to Pakistani players and people in Pakistan usually like his batting too. Same about Dhoni. Kapil Dev is hardly hated by anyone.

Not hated. Least liked.

Could be for personality
some of them could be in the list for their feared cricketing abilities.

You can add your own to the list with reason

So how many fans know about Bumrah, Pant, Shami, Ishant and KL Rahul in Pakistan? The logic that was put in the other thread by some posters was that a player has to perform against your team so that you can remember him. Babar hasn't had any success against India so Indians don't know who he is even though he is number 1 in the ODI rankings. Will the same logic apply here? Can pakistani fans say that they don't know who Bumrah is? :inti

Gautam Gambhir. He has to be the most hated Indian cricketer in Pakistan. Can’t stand the guy and I’m pretty sure many in the Indian dressing room felt that way.

Other than that, I don’t think there’s any other Indian cricketer that we hate.

Gautam Gambhir. He has to be the most hated Indian cricketer in Pakistan. Can’t stand the guy and I’m pretty sure many in the Indian dressing room felt that way.

I am pretty sure many Indian players also didn't like him. Other than that I don't think Pakistanis hate Indian cricketers that much. May be Irfan Pathan or anyone who spoke against Pakistan? :inti

So how many fans know about Bumrah, Pant, Shami, Ishant and KL Rahul in Pakistan? The logic that was put in the other thread by some posters was that a player has to perform against your team so that you can remember him. Babar hasn't had any success against India so Indians don't know who he is even though he is number 1 in the ODI rankings. Will the same logic apply here? Can pakistani fans say that they don't know who Bumrah is? :inti

Every cricket lover would know about Rishab Pant bcoz he is a generational talent. More specifically Pak fans admire him bcoz he single handedly won India a test series in Australia, a country where they are yet to draw a test match since 1997.

Jasprit Bumrah will be on every Pak fans mind after the spell he bowled in Asia Cup with those pin point yorkers. Also they would remember him due to that no ball.

How can they forget Pandya after what he did on that CT finals? So they knows about him very well too. Just like M.Amir or Fakhar Zaman is a household name in India.

But Pak fans dont relate much to KL Rahul/Shami etc. since they have done nothing against them.

:kp

Kapil despite being a fierce adversary is hardly disliked by anyone. I admired his competitiveness. Showing aggression on the field (within sensible limits) is fine with me. He talks like a gentleman (hence education and esp. grooming is so important). Same with Gavaskar.

Hate is too strong a word but Gautam Gambhir would be in most people's top 10 (dislike) list because of his unnecessary political statements

I have never liked any Indian cricketer apart from virat kohli and I hate sehwag gambhir sachin Rohit Sharma and that ishant sharma.

I am pretty sure many Indian players also didn't like him. Other than that I don't think Pakistanis hate Indian cricketers that much. May be Irfan Pathan or anyone who spoke against Pakistan? :inti

Pakistani cricketers speak out against India, Indian cricketers speak out against Pakistan, it’s not a big deal and it usually gets forgotten about in a week or so.

No one comes close to Gautam Gambhir, and no one ever will.

Gautam Gambhir and Virender Sehwag.

Suresh Raina got a lot of flak after his "nephew tweet" back in 2012. Sreesanth was loathed for the brief time he was here particularly for his antics but is largely forgotten now. New fans won't even know him.

Harbhajan and Yuvraj are not particularly liked either but don't think Pakistani fans hate them either.

Rahul Dravid and MS Dhoni are the most loved Indian Cricketers in Pakistan.

Kohli's was never really hostile towards Pakistani cricketers and he has been admired hugely for his batting prowess against us since that Asia Cup 2012. His gestures towards Amir and him sharing lighthearted moments with Shoaib Malik and our team after 2017 CT final were also very well received.
Think it's Australia and England where Kohli isn't liked very much.

From my experience, Kohli is the most liked Indian cricketer in Pakistan.

I'm not sure about the least liked.

I think its Sachin Tendulkar and it's mostly gotta do with the era he played in.

He debuted in 1989, the time when Pakistan mostly dominated India( '85-90 was pretty worse for Indian fans as Kapil wasn't a great bowler any longer, Gavaskar was past it and then retired while Pakistan had Imran, Wasim and Miandad).

And he retired in 2013, the time by which the table had turned out. Pakistan were now a mediocre middling side with inconsistent performances while India had won their second World Cup in 2011 and had a great phase in test cricket between 2007-11. Yes, they had a dip in test cricket between 2011-13 but we all knew at that time only it is because of transition phase but the talent pool is incredible so test wins will start coming sooner.

This is exactly how you live your legacy. When Tendulkar burst into the game, India were a mediocre middling side and Pakistan were competing with Windies for the no.1 ranked test side at that time. But when Tendulkar left the scenes, India were now a top ranked power-house side, all set to lead the world cricket for many years while Pakistan became a middling side.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever hated any Indian cricketers but Gambhir had that knack of annoying pretty much anyone and everyone.

Sreesanth was another whose behaviour on the field left a lot to be desired.

Gautam Gambhir was a fighter who stood up twice in the finals when everything was on the line. His flame didn't burn for long unfortunately although KKR sure benefitted from it. You need guys with that attitude in your team.

he is hated among some Indian cricketers as well

got in with Kohli, Gangly, ManojTiwari and few others
Problem is his poorest communication skills; he just know how to speak in monotone (wether he is praying someone it sounds pretty awkward )

For my family and friends

they loved Sachin so much ; he was so humble and performs evrytime; so goes for Dravid

These players
Sachin, Ganguly, David, Laxman, Kumble, Sehwag (were real gems) never hated; only hate you can get when they were spanking our bowlers;; but off the field they are loved ones;;; Wish our players also show this much maturity and knows how to perform intensely while keeping quiet

For my family and friends

they loved Sachin so much ; he was so humble and performs evrytime; so goes for Dravid

These players
Sachin, Ganguly, David, Laxman, Kumble, Sehwag (were real gems) never hated; only hate you can get when they were spanking our bowlers;; but off the field they are loved ones;;; Wish our players also show this much maturity and knows how to perform intensely while keeping quiet

On the other side, our players get too over the top with even small successes

Thats why Inzi, Younus, Yusuf I love in recent past; they first finish the job and then smile

I'm not someone who dislikes players just because they perform well against Pakistan. I dislike players if they happen to be rotten individuals.

Which is why the answer for me is Gautam Gambhir.

I always hated Yuvraj Singh. He would always bring his A game against Pakistan more often than not!

I think its Sachin Tendulkar and it's mostly gotta do with the era he played in.

He debuted in 1989, the time when Pakistan mostly dominated India( '85-90 was pretty worse for Indian fans as Kapil wasn't a great bowler any longer, Gavaskar was past it and then retired while Pakistan had Imran, Wasim and Miandad).

And he retired in 2013, the time by which the table had turned out. Pakistan were now a mediocre middling side with inconsistent performances while India had won their second World Cup in 2011 and had a great phase in test cricket between 2007-11. Yes, they had a dip in test cricket between 2011-13 but we all knew at that time only it is because of transition phase but the talent pool is incredible so test wins will start coming sooner.

This is exactly how you live your legacy. When Tendulkar burst into the game, India were a mediocre middling side and Pakistan were competing with Windies for the no.1 ranked test side at that time. But when Tendulkar left the scenes, India were now a top ranked power-house side, all set to lead the world cricket for many years while Pakistan became a middling side.

And all that doesn’t mean he is the least liked one. In fact, he was very focused on nothing but cricket so all the more respected for it.

True, lot of people accuse him of piling runs selfishly but the same people also say the same thing about Babar when he goes slow at the start of his innings. Us fans are impatient lot you know.

Dont know about disliking...but I really admired Tendulkar and Sir Dravid and Dhoni, no issues with Kohli either.

Ghambir was not liked by anyone and always said stupid things.

Sreesanth was the same which was why Harbajan Singh slapped him. Never liked that guy as he’d always act a bit of a wide-o glad Singh slapped him.

Shewag never liked him for the whole bhaap bhaap hota hai stuff which immature fans take too far, he got proved wrong afterwards as the incident never existed.

Tendulkar the most selfish player in my eyes and only cared about his stats.

Who in your opinion is the Indian cricketer who is least liked by the Pakistani fans. This can be for non cricketing reasons too

Probables :

1) Kapil Dev : Was the captain of Indian team who won India world cup and was regularly in competition with Imran Khan as one of the great 4 allrounders of their era.

2) Sachin Tendulkar - who can forget his superb 98 off 75 balls in 2003 WC

3) Harbhajan Singh - Pretty aggressive and in your face bowler who wore his heart on his sleeve. Most PP'ers would definitely remember his time against the Aussies.

4) S. Sreesanth - The gentle unassuming bowler (who am I kidding lol ?)

5) Ravi Shastri - 1985 Melbourne - World Championship of cricket was Shastri defining moment where his 63* helped India beat Pakistan in the finals.

6) Virat Kohli - Kohli wasn't very popular among the Pakistani cricket fans when he began his career due to his on field antics. India and Pakistan will meet in group stages during upcoming T20 WC and this will resume the ever popular Kohli vs Babar debate.

7) Anil Kumble - In this list because of his perfect 10 against Pakistan. The Humble Kumble was in fact a very fierce cricketer on the field and not the one to give into pressure against anyone be it other teams or Kohli.

8) Virender Sehwag - The sultan of Multan was one of the most feared batsmen because of his all out attack and has socred heavily against Pakistan. Scored 21 runs off 2 deliveries off Rana Naved.

9) Rohit Sharma - India's best ODI batsmen did a demolition job with his 140 off 113 balls in the last WC against Pakistan. In purely cricketing terms, he has caused much heartbreak to Pakistan at ICC tournaments>

10) Gautam Gambhir - On popular demand, added to this list

have left out Manoj Prabhakar, Azhar, Dhoni and Chetan Sharma from this list.

I don't think Kohli belongs to this list.

He is quite decent and cautiously speaks about Pakistan during his statements. I appreciate his sportsmanship spirit here. It's very rare in the Indian players.

Kiran Morey was lil capital B behind the stumps

Not a fan of Suresh Raina either after he blamed his niece for the tweet

Dhoni is not likeable by many in Pak either, yet he is also deemed as hero by many in Pak.
Personally, I don't like him one bit as a player. That "aane do" cringe and then his stint to join the honorary army ranks to pledge his subtle allegiance with RSS and BJP wasn't really a great gesture by a sportsman.

For me has to be;
Gambhir for obvious reasons.
Sehwag for being a outspoken piece of trash.
Used to think Harbhajan and Yuvi were ok and they was until afridi spoke against Modi last year and then yuvi came back out and Harbajan and said afridi is wrong completely we back our pm and his rules in this country

Gambhir for sure. On and off the field. However he was fiercely competitive and won india 2 world cups. Have to admire the champion he is..

Tendulkar the most selfish player in my eyes and only cared about his stats.

May be one of the stat has to do with man of the match in 3 wc games vs Pakistan :)

just kidding not sensitive at all, you are free to dislike whom you want obviously :)

Shastri, Sehwag and Gambhir of course. Shastri with his annoying know it all attitude thinking being Indian is some sort of great blessing when in reality his country is a complete dump, he seems to be disliked by many people like Barry Richards. I hated Sehwag until he got his nose rubbed on the ground nice and hard after we hammered his India in the Champions Trophy final stuffing his words down his throat. After such humiliation he has rightfully kept his mouth shut. His sarcasm and argumentative attitude was crushed under the boots of Pak players that day so much that he deleted his pre match tweets. We all know Gambhir always likes a fight with Pak people so I took good care of him n Facebook reminding him of India's history rather aggressively, he ran away like a coward. He too has been quiet for a while now.

I do not dislike or hate Indian Cricketers who perform well against us, that's their job.

I get Gambhir, but Sachin scoring 98 (2003), or Kohli chasing down 300+ in an Asia Cup doesn't deserve hate but respect.

Just like Indians tipping our hat to Fakhar Zaman after the CT final.

GG is a genuine big match player .he achieved which no Pakistani player achieve untill now .played 2 match winning knock in WC Finals .

And all that doesn’t mean he is the least liked one. In fact, he was very focused on nothing but cricket so all the more respected for it.

True, lot of people accuse him of piling runs selfishly but the same people also say the same thing about Babar when he goes slow at the start of his innings. Us fans are impatient lot you know.

It is really hard to figure the reason why anyone would call SRT a 'selfish' batsman or not a match winner, especially Pak fans. He has won three player of match award in World Cup vs Pakistan, and actually vs a good Pak side, not the recent one under captaincy of Sarfaraz.

If you look at his strike rate, it is 86 over a course of a long career. Compared to him, Ponting and Lara have S/R of 80 and 78 respectively and they were naturally aggressive batsman. This whole idea of selfish batting is completely absurd because a strike rate of 86 is equivalent to 96 in present era. His 100th century was slow and selfish but there were reasons for that and it was in final year of his 24 year long career so it was just a one-off and hardly anything to make a conclusion about.

Gambhir and Sehwag.

Generally pakistani fans like Indian cricketers who speak Punjabi so Yuvraj, bhajji, Kohli would be well liked IMO

GG has to be at the top :)))

The guy makes no reservations about his hate for Pakistan so why would a regular Pakistani not dislike him to death. I would expect even sensible and friendly Pakistanis like Mamoon, Saj etc also to be hating GG.

I can also empathize with some frustration also because GG played in am era he could have fun with the Pakistani bowling while sledging them at the same time. Things wouldn't be easier if the 2 Was , Imran or peak Shoaib Akhtar were to be bowling to him which Pakistani fans would have loved to see. But GG was smashing the likes of Umar Gul, Rao Iftikhar etc instead :yk

He was kidding around with Afridi, Kamran who simply didn't bring enough to the table to challenge him.

Obnoxious guy GG. He's even had altercations with Kohli :)) I don't even think his family members like him :))) but that guy had some nerves. The angrier he got the better he played mostly. One of our greatest clutch players and an unsung hero of the only two world cups we won since 1983 all credit for which was wrongfully given to MSD leading to GG's lifelong grudge.

People are needlessly hating on Gambhir just bcoz he dont mince his words and calls "A spade a spade". He is not someone who want to sound politically correct just to appease masses.

Gambo is one of those rare celebrities that speaks out loud what he believes in. This is not only restricted for Pakistan but he gives his clear cut opinion even on Indian cricket. When no ex cricketer in India has guts to question Kohli's captaincy or the limitless power he enjoy, Gambhir openly said time & again that Virat should be stripped of white ball captaincy and hand it over to Rohit who is a better captain. He also said Kohli is a failure as IPL captain and RCB should look for an alternative.

When entire media and clueless fans goes gaga over Dhoni bhakti, Gambhir is the only person that said Dhoni is blocking young players path and should have retired after 2015 WC. He also believes 2011 WC win must be credited to all Indian players and not only Dhoni who was a failure the entire tournament except on the finals.

Gambhir is not Afridi who changes his statement every minute. While in India for 2016 T20 WC, Afridi said we get more love in India than in Pakistan. Then when he went back to Pakistan he said Indians dont have big hearts like us. LOL wut?

You will never find such contradicting statement from Gambhir. Kind of explains the reason the political party he represents...else he would be in Congress.

I get Gambhir, but Sachin scoring 98 (2003), or Kohli chasing down 300+ in an Asia Cup doesn't deserve hate but respect.

Just like Indians tipping our hat to Fakhar Zaman after the CT final.

Sachin is resented rather than hated.

He stood out as the game's biggest superstar right in the middle of their golden generation.

..also i believe Sachin's uncanny indifferent attitude about things is sometimes mistaken for him purposely ignoring Pakistan cricket by their fans. At some level they do hate his guts. Apart from looking dead locked in turning up to play Pakistan , I cannot recall Sachin ever going out of his way to talk about them like Kohli and some other cricketers from both countries do a lot of times. Sachin never spoke much about missing playing against them or about the Ws being all that. He's also perceived as a silent hindu nationalist which he probably is.

Gambhir has to be the most unlikable Indian player of all time.

It's not even close.

The others were "hated" cause of their class. That's a part and parcel of Indo-Pak cricket on both sides. But Gambhir is something else and a straight-up clown.

I thought Kohli would rank high, based on what I see on twitter.

Give GG a break please. He is a BJP guy therefore his life revolves around Pakistanis. That's the only way guys like GG can stay relevant after retiring from cricket. :inti

I never heard of one Pakistani fan say he he hates Sachin.. I think that is because despite his many runs against many sides he was quit a laid back character and not really got involved in much. Also whether you agree with it or not a lot of Pakistani fans genuinely had the opinion that he actually did not make a difference in India winning games or not that match.

I wish he doesnt score runs today obviously does not equal to I hate him anyway.

Gambhir easily.

He is probably disliked by many Indian cricketers as well, and understandably so.

He has still not been able to move on after that clash against Afridi 14 years ago. This makes me wonder what Afridi actually told him on that day, the poor guy has not been able to recover from that till this day.

Nowadays, he is a BJP politician, his bread and butter depends on Pakistan, so the hate he gets he deserved.

Sehwag is probably second, mostly since his "baap-beta" nonsense and his disrespectful tweets since the CT.

Sreesanth was another whose behaviour on the field left a lot to be desired.

Most Indians dislike Sreesanth too. As a player, he was just an arrogant ***** who thought no end of himself. His bowling too wasn't worth writing about.

I personally dislike Gautam Gambhir because he rarely has anything meaningful to contribute, and I do believe that certain people would be jealous of all the crap that comes out of his mouth. I've never actually heard him speak anything sensible.

I also dislike Sehwag's personality, not his cricketing stature. I think that he was one of the most aggressive yet consistent players, his record in test cricket is phenomenal. However, he does have the habit of making unnecessary statements about cricketers he doesn't personally like, and so it does reduce his stature in my books if he has to insult others to gain attention.

This is my opinion of some Indian players:

Gambhir is a BJP guy, Sehwag is an idiot, Ganguly loves power, Sachin is indifferent to everything, Dravid stays away from limelight, Laxman, Yuvraj, Harbhajan, Irfan Pathan and Manjrekar miss the limelight so make a statement once in a while, Zaheer and Nehra are decent blokes, Raina is a wannabe BJP guy, Kohli and Pandyas are arrogant ******, Kohli being a woke celebrity as well, Rohit is lazy, KL Rahul is a wannabe Kohli, Dhawan is a cool guy, Pant is confused, Bumrah, Bhuvi, Ishant, Shami, Pujara and Rahane are decent guys (I know Shami has some personal issues), Ashwin is an over-thinker, Jadeja is a Dhoni follower and Dhoni is cunning (most likely will join politics one day).

So I can understand why Pakistanis would especially dislike some of these guys.

Never disliked any Indian players except for Gambhir and that was before he left cricket and apparently joined politics now.

GG has to be at the top :)))

The guy makes no reservations about his hate for Pakistan so why would a regular Pakistani not dislike him to death. I would expect even sensible and friendly Pakistanis like Mamoon, Saj etc also to be hating GG.

I can also empathize with some frustration also because GG played in am era he could have fun with the Pakistani bowling while sledging them at the same time. Things wouldn't be easier if the 2 Was , Imran or peak Shoaib Akhtar were to be bowling to him which Pakistani fans would have loved to see. But GG was smashing the likes of Umar Gul, Rao Iftikhar etc instead :yk

He was kidding around with Afridi, Kamran who simply didn't bring enough to the table to challenge him.

Obnoxious guy GG. He's even had altercations with Kohli :)) I don't even think his family members like him :))) but that guy had some nerves. The angrier he got the better he played mostly. One of our greatest clutch players and an unsung hero of the only two world cups we won since 1983 all credit for which was wrongfully given to MSD leading to GG's lifelong grudge.

Haha...that's true.

Regardless of his statements and BJP connection, I believe deep down GG is a nice guy.

Genuinely cares about his nation. Has done a lot of work for those in need.

Throws statements irresponsibly tho due to lack of a nuanced perspective imho.

Just got involved with the wrong set of people.

This is my opinion of some Indian players:

Gambhir is a BJP guy, Sehwag is an idiot, Ganguly loves power, Sachin is indifferent to everything, Dravid stays away from limelight, Laxman, Yuvraj, Harbhajan, Irfan Pathan and Manjrekar miss the limelight so make a statement once in a while, Zaheer and Nehra are decent blokes, Raina is a wannabe BJP guy, Kohli and Pandyas are arrogant ******, Kohli being a woke celebrity as well, Rohit is lazy, KL Rahul is a wannabe Kohli, Dhawan is a cool guy, Pant is confused, Bumrah, Bhuvi, Ishant, Shami, Pujara and Rahane are decent guys (I know Shami has some personal issues), Ashwin is an over-thinker, Jadeja is a Dhoni follower and Dhoni is cunning (most likely will join politics one day).

So I can understand why Pakistanis would especially dislike some of these guys.

Damn....that's perfect :bow:

People are needlessly hating on Gambhir just bcoz he dont mince his words and calls "A spade a spade". He is not someone who want to sound politically correct just to appease masses.

Gambo is one of those rare celebrities that speaks out loud what he believes in. This is not only restricted for Pakistan but he gives his clear cut opinion even on Indian cricket. When no ex cricketer in India has guts to question Kohli's captaincy or the limitless power he enjoy, Gambhir openly said time & again that Virat should be stripped of white ball captaincy and hand it over to Rohit who is a better captain. He also said Kohli is a failure as IPL captain and RCB should look for an alternative.

When entire media and clueless fans goes gaga over Dhoni bhakti, Gambhir is the only person that said Dhoni is blocking young players path and should have retired after 2015 WC. He also believes 2011 WC win must be credited to all Indian players and not only Dhoni who was a failure the entire tournament except on the finals.

Gambhir is not Afridi who changes his statement every minute. While in India for 2016 T20 WC, Afridi said we get more love in India than in Pakistan. Then when he went back to Pakistan he said Indians dont have big hearts like us. LOL wut?

You will never find such contradicting statement from Gambhir. Kind of explains the reason the political party he represents...else he would be in Congress.

:)))

Thanks buddy for the laughs. This made my day.

Never really liked Ravi Shastri, other than that probably Sachin. Loved his talent, but he always struck me as a hardcore RSS type.

Gautam Gambir is not really significant enough to bother disliking to be honest. Was he any good?

I never heard of one Pakistani fan say he he hates Sachin.. I think that is because despite his many runs against many sides he was quit a laid back character and not really got involved in much. Also whether you agree with it or not a lot of Pakistani fans genuinely had the opinion that he actually did not make a difference in India winning games or not that match.

I wish he doesnt score runs today obviously does not equal to I hate him anyway.

I didn't mean there is any hate as such among Pakistani fans for Tendulkar for non-cricketing reasons like it maybe for Gambhir or it is among some Indian fans for Imran. However, I have seen Pakistani posters call Tendulkar a selfish batsman, non-match winner and a coward.

The non-match winner part is hard to explain because Tendulkar has done very well in World Cups vs Pakistan in particular and that too when they were a pretty strong side(1992,2003,2011).

The selfish one is again hard to explain because SRT has a S/R of 86 in the same era in which equally aggressive batsman like Lara and Ponting strike at 78 and 80 respectively. The hundredth century he got was a selfish one but he had to get over that and it was in the final year of his career. It was a rare one-off which doesn't illustrate his character over his entire career.

The coward one is for illogical reasons like he batted at 4 in test cricket for his entire career. Well, most teams do the same, the batsman with tighter defense bats in top 3 and the more prolific batsman generally bats at no 4. Kohli also bats at 4 and Pujara at 3.

No disrespect to anyone here but in my opinion, the arguments put by Pakistan fans to demean Tendulkar has always been pretty illogical and I feel it is because of slight jealousy as Pakistan were a pretty strong side too and also during Tendulkar's time, he was hyped by Indian fans to the moon because he has the stats and longevity which was better than pretty much anyone bar Bradman.

Then I would have no reason to dislike him. As a batsman he was genius, on a different level to anyone else around at the time.
Correct. He has never been associated with RSS by anyone so was bit surprised when you linked him with RSS ideology.

Never really liked Ravi Shastri, other than that probably Sachin. Loved his talent, but he always struck me as a hardcore RSS type.

Gautam Gambir is not really significant enough to bother disliking to be honest. Was he any good?

Ravi Shastri is disliked in India itself by a lot of fans.
Sachin well if it makes it better was a member of congress party but still doesn’t stop me from liking him :)

As far as Gambhir goes surprising that as a cricket fan you haven’t watched the WT20 final or the WC 2011 final. But yes good attitude, no sportsman unless they do something repulsive like a crime are not significant enough to be hated.

Correct. He has never been associated with RSS by anyone so was bit surprised when you linked him with RSS ideology.

Wasn't he associated with Bal Thackeray on some social event? What was the story there?

Having a dislike for Sachin? Has he ever said or done anything disrespectful towards Pakistan?

If one puts aside his off-field comments, Gambhir was a clutch player, very gutsy and aggressive; he has played some memorable innings, most famously during the World cup finals. He brought out his best against Australia and Pakistan. He even led his IPL team to many victories.

It's the same old debate on separating artist from the art.

Even Javed Miandad attended Bal Thackeray’s social events

I knew that was coming, and it raised some eyebrows, and I'm sure there's a reason behind that as well. But we are talking about Indian players so was just wondering what association Sachin had with Thackeray? Was it just simply giving a nod to authority to keep the peace or did he have a deeper relationship?

I knew that was coming, and it raised some eyebrows, and I'm sure there's a reason behind that as well. But we are talking about Indian players so was just wondering what association Sachin had with Thackeray? Was it just simply giving a nod to authority to keep the peace or did he have a deeper relationship?

Ok I will simplify it. Javed Miandad attended that for the same reason Sachin did. Hope that answers it.

Bal Thackrey was a goon/leader (he had nothing to do with Hindutva). Everyone in 90s attended Bal Thackrey's parties, from Khans to Gandhis, so I wouldn't look much into Sachin attending any of his events. Besides, Bal Thackrey (and his party Shiv Sena) is not the same as RSS, in fact, they are currently sharing power with the Congress party(left wing liberal) in Maharashtra.

In India, politics is all about power, money and opportunities, ideologies don't hold much sway here, leaders jump parties, partner with rivals etc according to their convenience. It's only the twitter warriors who fight left wing vs right wing ideologies.

Wasn't he associated with Bal Thackeray on some social event? What was the story there?

Ok I will simplify it. Javed Miandad attended that for the same reason Sachin did. Hope that answers it.

No it doesn't since I don't know what Javed's association was either. If you don't know yourself that's fine I'm sure someone else can answer.

No it doesn't since I don't know what Javed's association was either. If you don't know yourself that's fine I'm sure someone else can answer.

Sure but I don’t think that’s really a deal breaker to make a call on any player. If it means so much to you of course I will let someone give you a more satisfactory answer or to put it mildly give you the answer you want to hear.

Bal Thackrey was a goon/leader (he had nothing to do with Hindutva). Everyone in 90s attended Bal Thackrey's parties, from Khans to Gandhis, so I wouldn't look much into Sachin attending any of his events. Besides, Bal Thackrey (and his party Shiv Sena) is not the same as RSS, in fact, they are currently sharing power with the Congress party(left wing liberal) in Maharashtra.

In India, politics is all about power, money and opportunities, ideologies don't hold much sway here, leaders jump parties, partner with rivals etc according to their convenience. It's only the twitter warriors who fight left wing vs right wing ideologies.

Did a little googling on it and as Sachin was from the same state, then I can imagine you have to pay your respects to the leader of the state whatever you may think of his policies so perhaps unfair to tarnish him with the same brush.

Lot of Pakistanis didn't like Tendulkar for the same reason that Madridistas dislike Messi. It's hard to find fans of one team warming up to the best player of their bitter rival, no matter how talented he is.

I think Tendulkar being the social introvert that he is, can sometimes come across as having an indifferent attitude towards Pakistan as he tended to avoid making comments in the media, both positive and negative against Pakistan, and pretty much every team tbh. It's different with Kohli because he is an extrovert and goes out of his way to being nice towards Pakistan and then the obvious Punjabi connect, whereas Tendulkar simply used to avoid media comments, and was neither as positive as Kohli nor as negative as Gambhir.

Tbh most of our yesteryear cricket players like Sachin, Dravid, Laxman used to be very diplomatic and it was guys like Ganguly, Harbhajan and even Kumble (when he criticised Australia for playing against the spirit of the game) who made the media headlines.

Back