IPL | Delhi v Chennai | Delhi | 08/05/08

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Delhi Daredevils team

V Sehwag, G Gambhir, S Dhawan, AB de Villiers, Shoaib Malik, KD Karthik, MK Tiwary, VY Mahesh, GD McGrath, Mohammad Asif, M Manhas

Chennai Super Kings team

PA Patel, SP Fleming, SK Raina, AB Karthik, A Mukund, MS Dhoni, JA Morkel, Joginder Sharma, S Tyagi, M Muralitharan, M Ntini

nitini has been dropped, per se the commentator, but for who?

ICC becomes an equal opportunities employer by giving the umpires job to the partially sighted Russell Tiffen.

In the first 6 overs of Delhi's innings he made three mistakes:

Gave 6 to Sehwag when ball bounced inside the boundary
Gave 4 to Sehwag when Raina had dived and saved the boundary
Gave wide off Murli when the ball clearly came off the front leg

Three times he had to change his original decision. Just proves that being blind is no longer a hurdle to becoming an international umpire.

Poor Dhoni, everytime the camera is on his face it looks like he needs to rush off to the toilet. He's looked helpless over these last 4 games.

I remember saying I wonder how Dhoni would do as a captain if he didn't have India's strongest ever team at his disposal. Looks like we're seeing the reality of Dhoni's captaincy when the average calibre of his players isnt that great!

Looks like Chennai are in for another hammering here.

176 for 4

Malik is currently at the crease.

Saj said:
Looks like Chennai are in for another hammering here.

176 for 4

Malik is currently at the crease.
let me just rephrase that, Malik was at the crease. Gone for 2 runs.

Malik despite having a few balls left has been in poor form..his place is under threat.

Delhi Daredevils 187/5 (20.0/20 ov)
Chennai Super Kings

Innings break

Toony™® said:
Malik despite having a few balls left has been in poor form..his place is under threat.

Hardly..... most times the top 3 from Delhi have batted the majority of the overs laeving numbers 4/5 and below to basically hit out at the end without being set.

Malik is still useful in field and handy off spin option.

Mercenary said:
Poor Dhoni, everytime the camera is on his face it looks like he needs to rush off to the toilet. He's looked helpless over these last 4 games.

I remember saying I wonder how Dhoni would do as a captain if he didn't have India's strongest ever team at his disposal. Looks like we're seeing the reality of Dhoni's captaincy when the average calibre of his players isnt that great!

Strongest ever team? Just because they won they are not the strongest ever team. The current team he has cannot qualify for 5th division cricket let alone first class cricket.

jackal786 said:
Strongest ever team? Just because they won they are not the strongest ever team. The current team he has cannot qualify for 5th division cricket let alone first class cricket.

Ganguly for me led the strongest ever team , but common the current team is not bad ...just inexperienced !

cant belive Delhi keep picking asif , getting hit today as well !

jackal786 said:

It's nothing to do with winning or losing, it's about team composition.

India have always had a strong batting line-up and they've usually had good spinners in home conditions but they've never had a quality seam attack for any prolonged period.

The current pool of Indian cricketers contains the following players who would count amongst the best India have had...

V Sehwag
S Tendulkar
R Dravid
VVS Laxman
M Dhoni
A Kumble
Z Khan

...plus they have players who could go on to become future Indian greats like...

RP Singh
I Sharma
R Sharma
P Chawla

...can you name me any Indian side that was this strong in all departments and in all conditions worldwide? This is the best Indian seam attack in history!

How do you tell Chennai opener Sriramakrishnan's sister that she should get married? Say this to her...

'Dont be a Vidyut all your life'

Before anyone else says it, I admit it's a rubbish joke but just thought I'd post it :p

Mercenary said:

Excuse me :20: ? This very "Strongest Ever Team" is quite the same which got knocked out of the World Cup 2007 in the Group Stage itself. And if any changes are there, they are to bring the 'new and inexperienced' faces into the side. Quite the same thing happened with Pakistan where captaincy was handed to Malik after Inzamam´s retirement but that didn´t make much differences to our team though.

Chennai surely haven´t played well in last three matches but doesn´t mean such baseless claims should be made :26: . I have been reading this since many days but couldn´t tolerate anymore.

Mercenary said:
How do you tell Chennai opener Sriramakrishnan's sister that she should get married? Say this to her...

'Dont be a Vidyut all your life'

Before anyone else says it, I admit it's a rubbish joke but just thought I'd post it :p

brutally
:))) :))) :)))

DHONI183 said:
Excuse me :20: ? This very "Strongest Ever Team" is quite the same which got knocked out of the World Cup 2007 in the Group Stage itself.

What does that prove?

In 1983 an unfancied Indian team upset the best team in the world to win the WC.

The current Indian team is the most balanced in all departments and in all conditions in the history of Indian cricket.

Mercenary said:
What does that prove?

In 1983 an unfancied Indian team upset the best team in the world to win the WC.

The current Indian team is the most balanced in all departments and in all conditions in the history of Indian cricket.

That proves, that on top of all it´s his own captaincy which has made a huge difference to the very side which got knocked out of the Group Stage in World cup but was captained by someone else :) .

Mercenary said:
It's nothing to do with winning or losing, it's about team composition.

India have always had a strong batting line-up and they've usually had good spinners in home conditions but they've never had a quality seam attack for any prolonged period.

The current pool of Indian cricketers contains the following players who would count amongst the best India have had...

V Sehwag
S Tendulkar
R Dravid
VVS Laxman
M Dhoni
A Kumble
Z Khan

...plus they have players who could go on to become future Indian greats like...

RP Singh
I Sharma
R Sharma
P Chawla

...can you name me any Indian side that was this strong in all departments and in all conditions worldwide? This is the best Indian seam attack in history!
How many of the above players took part in T20 WC? Only RPS and R Sharma. Both young players who were not expected to fill Tendulkar's or Zaheer's shoes. Dhoni got a young talented team, sure, but a team that was raw and could have faced same humiliation as the senior team in the WC, if Dhoni had been a weak or bad captain.

It's plain to see all you want to do is drag him down.. :p ..but as long as he keeps the Indian team united, inspired and winning, I don't care what happens to Chennai.

Mercenary said:
What does that prove?

yup... I look forward to seeing youngsters filling in the shoes of tendu,dravid,laxman and ganguly...potentially so far i see

Rohit sharma -> Tendu
Nayar/Tiwary -> Laxman
Badrinath -> Dravid
Gambhir ->Ganguly

Once this happens one can truly say that the team is 'most balanced'. With youngsters available to play in all depts

Brilliant cameo from Morkel :14: !!! CSK are lucky that he fired 'just' an over before getting out :9: .

DHONI183 said:
That proves, that on top of all it´s his own captaincy which has made a huge difference to the very side which got knocked out of the Group Stage in World cup but was captained by someone else :) .

If Dhoni is still captain of India for the next ODI WC we'll see how well he does.

If you're talking about ODI series then India won the two ODI series before the WC and 2 out of the 3 ODI series after the WC.

Dhoni took over an ODI team that had won 4 out of their last 5 ODI series!! That's right!! Just like I said this is the best Indian team in history!

With the same team Dhoni has won 2 series and lost 1 series!

So as you can see under Dhoni the team hasn't done as well as it did before he took over as captain!!

Dhonifan said:
How many of the above players took part in T20 WC? Only RPS and R Sharma. Both young players who were not expected to fill Tendulkar's or Zaheer's shoes. Dhoni got a young talented team, sure, but a team that was raw and could have faced same humiliation as the senior team in the WC, if Dhoni had been a weak or bad captain.

If we're talking T20 WC then captaincywise it was a draw between Malik and Dhoni because both reached the final and both tied the match! It took a lottery bowl out to seperate the two teams!!

Mercenary said:
If we're talking T20 WC then captaincywise it was a draw between Malik and Dhoni because both reached the final and both tied the match! It took a lottery bowl out to seperate the two teams!!
just that one? no other legitimate victory? i though there was scoop shot or something like that ;-) may be my memory serves me bad :D

Mercenary said:
yes, but only Dhoni would have given the last over to Jog Inder with 8 needed. Shoaib would have used his fastest or most lethal bowler. :D

Merc, i don't know what you are trying to say here. If Dhoni's team loses it's because he's lousy and if he wins it because the players are great...

Mercenary said:

err, the bowl out wasnt in the final

Pakistan captain fantastic leads his team to a loss and could not defend 15 runs of the last over...

Indiafan said:
:)) good point, i think Merc was so stunned by the first ind/pak bowl out tie he forgot to watch the rest of the matches.

dinakar said:
ha ha ha...Shoiab Malik to bowl the last over!!!! let's see :)
Luton Bad Boy said:
Pakistan captain fantastic leads his team to a loss and could not defend 15 runs of the last over...

What a STUPID decision by the captain - Sehwag! Why couldn't be bowl himself - coward!
Shoaib Malik has never been good in death overs - let alone last over.

Did you see Shoaib Maliks face during the last over. :))

Honestly, who made this guy our captain.

Simply cant handle the pressure.

Iqbal'sh said:
Hardly..... most times the top 3 from Delhi have batted the majority of the overs laeving numbers 4/5 and below to basically hit out at the end without being set.

Malik is still useful in field and handy off spin option.

he has been average at best with the ball.. but his bowling doesnt suit the sub continent.

1st match - didnt play -in pakistan.

2nd match - didnt bat /ball

3rd match - 19 off 17 - had 17.2 overs - (came onto bat 2.4 overs). 1/33 off 3.3 overs.

4th match - 6 off 4 and had 5 overs /1 over for 8 runs.

5th match - didn't bat - 1 over for 11 runs

6th match - 22 off 24 balls came onto bat 6.4 overs had 13.2 overs left. 1/6 off 1 over

7th match - 2 off 3 with 2 overs remaining and 0/28 off 2 overs

i think i was slightly harsh .. of the 4 matches he has batted... 2 matches he had lot of overs to play with.

Congrats to CSK :27: :27: !!!! A great game :14: !!!

Indiafan said:

My mistake I mixed the two games up!

Dhonifan said:
Merc, i don't know what you are trying to say here. If Dhoni's team loses it's because he's lousy and if he wins it because the players are great...

There seems to be this belief amongst many Indian fans that Dhoni came into a losing Indian team and turned it into a winning unit through the sheer force of his captaincy. When the reality is that he took over an Indian team that had won 4 of it's last 5 ODI series!!

W63L35 said:
What a STUPID decision by the captain - Sehwag! Why couldn't be bowl himself - coward!
Shoaib Malik has never been good in death overs - let alone last over.
Sehwag was massacred by Morkel.. he won't touch the ball again at least for a week :)) :)) what he could have done is once Morkel out, he should have sqeezed one over from Malik

Is it me or cant Sehwag count?

Every Delhi game I see seems to have Malik or Sehwag bowling the last over and getting smashed to all parts of the ground!!

Mercenary said:
Is it me or cant Sehwag count?

Every Delhi game I see seems to have Malik or Sehwag bowling the last over and getting smashed to all parts of the ground!!

Exactly!
Not saving at least ONE over for your key medium pacer/fast bowlers is a CRIME T20!

Who bowls a spinner in the last over? Everyone knows it is difficult its to hit medium pacers.

Indiafan said:
Who bowls a spinner in the last over? Everyone knows it is difficult its to hit medium pacers.

Saqi is the only spinner i've ever seen consistently 'pwning' the batsmen at the death. Other than him spinners usually get lifted into the stands

Consecutive sixes by Morkel. First one a 93m hit. Second an extremely flat straight hit

dinakar said:
Sehwag was massacred by Morkel.. he won't touch the ball again at least for a week :)) :)) what he could have done is once Morkel out, he should have sqeezed one over from Malik
exactly what i was thinking, and he should have given the last over no matter what was needed, to asif or yomahesh

Oops, I forget what Im watching is on a delayed telecast. Never mind :D

You can blame Sehwag's captaincy all you want, all I say is that Malik has been brilliant and has been worth every penny of his 500,000 dollars in this tournament :)) .

the_game said:
You can blame Sehwag's captaincy all you want, all I say is that Malik has been brilliant and has been worth every penny of his 500,000 dollars in this tournament :)) .
Even Hafeez has outperformed him. Says it all

Daoud said:
Oops, I forget what Im watching is on a delayed telecast. Never mind :D

dont worry, it was a happy ending :D

Daoud said:
Even Hafeez has outperformed him. Says it all

I didn't realize that, but that's just so insanely hilarious :))) . Well done kaptaan ji.

the_game said:
:)))

the_game said:

Do you think they can ask for a refund???

Luton Bad Boy said:
Do you think they can ask for a refund???

If he can get away with a Nikaah, I'm sure he can get away with this rip-off as well ;-) .

Back