IPL vs Kerry Packer

Savak

Test Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
Which tournament do you guys think revolutionized the game and which tournament had very high quality competitive cricket? If these 2 tournaments were happening in today's time, which would you guys be willing to pay to watch?

For me i think it is Kerry Packer.

both are totally diffrent things.IPL is only made possible by the advent of t-20 cricket.

Kerry Packer cricket changed the game by setting up the professional era.

And I'd watch the 'test' matches with those great teams Packer had.

I would say kerry packer because it completely changed the game.

The IPL was more or less an event that would have taken place anyways, considering the craze for the format

Kerry Packer, the game would look very different today if the WSC hadn't happened.

Last edited:
If we want test cricket to survive we might need another Kerry Packer, where organisers wouldn't be afraid of adapting test cricket in order to make it profitable and appealing to the masses. And then in turn international test cricket might see these changes and opt to also change accordingly.

Kerry Packer vs the IPL today?

What would be more box office today?

What would have more high quality cricket on display?

My vote is for Kerry Packer

Both are only relevant to respective nations.

Kerry Packer is relevant to Aussies and IPL is relevant to Indians. Don't think rest of the world cares a lot.

International cricket is the best.

Doubt there are many on this forums who were there for packer era. So most of the replies here will be because of bias against IPL.

Don't get point of this thread, wasn't packer same as IPL. Teams with players from all over the world playing ODI? IPL is same just in T20 format. So there's no difference between the two apart from one being organised by Australia other by India.

Doubt there are many on this forums who were there for packer era. So most of the replies here will be because of bias against IPL.

Don't get point of this thread, wasn't packer same as IPL. Teams with players from all over the world playing ODI? IPL is same just in T20 format. So there's no difference between the two apart from one being organised by Australia other by India.

Quite the same concept - get the best in the world on a single platform. Just that there's lot more nostalgia associated with WSC.

Quite the same concept - get the best in the world on a single platform. Just that there's lot more nostalgia associated with WSC.

Exactly. So what's the purpose of thread? Both are exactly same one for ODI other for T20.

Kerry Packer gave a lot to the ODI game.

What has been IPL's contribution to the t20I game? Cheerleaders (think even this concept was done by ICL first i think)

There was no comprise on the overall quality and thus purity of the cricket revolution that was brought in by Packer.

IPL is a quality tournament but has destroyed the balance between bat and ball. Before this tournament reached its peak, T20Is had more in it for the bowlers for e.g. 2009 World T20.

I was around for it..
I would go further and say that county cricket was also awsome in the late 70’s and throughout the 80’s where you had at least one legend of the game playing for a county side..
You could turn to Lords in the afternoon for free and watch Roberts bowling to Asif Iqbal...
Great times

Exactly. So what's the purpose of thread? Both are exactly same one for ODI other for T20.

It's not as if Kerry Packer was some kind of a tribute to cricket. The entire purpose was to make money and I'm sure they made a lot of it..

Kerry Packer gave a lot to the ODI game.

What has been IPL's contribution to the t20I game? Cheerleaders (think even this concept was done by ICL first i think)

It was before most of our time so she'd some light.

What did it give ODI cricket? Coloured clothing would have come sooner or later. What else he give?

I was around for it..
I would go further and say that county cricket was also awsome in the late 70’s and throughout the 80’s where you had at least one legend of the game playing for a county side..
You could turn to Lords in the afternoon for free and watch Roberts bowling to Asif Iqbal...
Great times

Growing up in 90s as a kid I loved watching county cricket. I still look back at it with nostalgia of the good times of being a cricket fan as a kid

I guess for you 70s were the same and maybe even better.

Back