Is PCB trying to create a false sense of dominance with T20 series against B & C sides?

How is it our fault if other boards keep prioritizing franchise leagues over their national team.

I have no idea why Pakistan insists on playing their best XI every T20, save for the odd random Afghanistan series.

Every other country does it right, use the relatively meaningless bilateral T20Is to test new blood, play their best 15 or so the few series before a big tournament, then bring out the best XI in the world cup.

Playing against a club level bowling attack doesn't improve your game. On the contrary, it can harm your game and give you a false sense of superiority.

That goes back to my point. Should they stop playing competitive cricket just because the opposition isnt strong enough?

I think a lot of you took this as me saying we should either play our full XI at full strength or not play at all.

Rather, if we absolutely have to play t20s when there’s no reason to, we could at least play the format to continue testing our bench strength.

One series and shelving the youngsters is not the way to do it. As iirc Azhar Ali said in reaction to the same people crying after losing to Afghanistan was, how can we develop bench strength if after 1-2 losses in a meaningless series, we panic? Paraphrasing here, but that was the gist of it.

Literally everyone else is playing their 2nd XI in t20 series. We lost to Afghanistan playing at full strength. Big whoop. So I guess time to roll out the heavy artillery, destroy b and c sides, and then end up not winning the next WC anyway because we’re still hung up on the same old strategy…

If we’re thinking Wt20, we need to have a backlog of players ready to slot in, rather than handing debuts at the tournament. Besides, it’s healthy competition. You want players on their toes that if they get lax and stop performing, someone else will take their spot.

2 consecutive meaningless series considering the team we or they played. Firstly v Afghan dropped our main batsmen and bowlers. Now v NZ with our players back but against a B/C New Zealand team.

If you look at the last 15 odd years, Pakistan has lost more than 90% of its white ball series against full-strength, top opposition.

They have just been not good enough and they still aren’t. They probably never will be because the talent and the skill are simply not there.

The UAE Tests during Misbah era was the only platform where Pakistan had the skills to beat full-strength, formidable opposition although they were lucky to not face India.

Pakistan did the same from 2016-2018 when Mickey and Sarfraz combo were bashing underpowered teams left, right and center and became the top ranked T20I team before if it all came crashing down as soon as they started playing full-strength sides.

As a white ball team, Pakistan is at the same level as West Indies, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Afghanistan. The disappointing part is that it is reaching the same level in Test cricket as well.

Pakistan cricket is done and dusted. There is no hope for the future. It needs a factory reset and that is not happening.

This is why the fans need to lower their expectations instead of demanding PCB to raise its standards because it is incapable of doing so.

Just enjoy these wins against underpowered opposition. There is nothing wrong with it.

If you look at the last 15 odd years, Pakistan has lost more than 90% of its white ball series against full-strength, top opposition.

They have just been not good enough and they still aren’t. They probably never will be because the talent and the skill are simply not there.

The UAE Tests during Misbah era was the only platform where Pakistan had the skills to beat full-strength, formidable opposition although they were lucky to not face India.

Pakistan did the same from 2016-2018 when Mickey and Sarfraz combo were bashing underpowered teams left, right and center and became the top ranked T20I team before if it all came crashing down as soon as they started playing full-strength sides.

As a white ball team, Pakistan is at the same level as West Indies, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Afghanistan. The disappointing part is that it is reaching the same level in Test cricket as well.

Pakistan cricket is done and dusted. There is no hope for the future. It needs a factory reset and that is not happening.

This is why the fans need to lower their expectations instead of demanding PCB to raise its standards because it is incapable of doing so.

Just enjoy these wins against underpowered opposition. There is nothing wrong with it.

But the question is whether PCB are doing this deliberately.

My reply is - this is an incorrect insinuation.

PCB do not know which players a country will make available because it does not control who plays in IPL and other leagues.

But the question is whether PCB are doing this deliberately.

My reply is - this is an incorrect insinuation.

PCB do not know which players a country will make available because it does not control who plays in IPL and other leagues.

Of course it is not deliberate. That is a very strange thing to say.

With the amount of franchise cricket going around the world, there is never an ideal time to schedule an international series because there will always be a few missing players.

Some would be prioritizing franchise cricket, some would be nursing injuries while others would be resting before an important franchise tournament to avoid getting injured.

Misleading to call Pakistan a white ball side that is not good enough. This was true probably for the ODI side who have been smashed even by B and C sides.

Pakistan has been an excellent T20 side for the most part apart from the 2012-2016 period. The 2022 Pakistan T20 side had some of the best players and apart from a few poor decisions, they were tactically on point.

It is no fluke that in the last 2 World T20's that they only lost to eventual winners.

I don't rate Pakistan as highy in ODIs although they are much improved from the horror show in 2015 and I am convinced that Pakistan will NEVER be a top Test side ever again .

But in T20's, they can even beat full strength T20 sides on any day.

Cricket is no longer a sport where the most important thing is the contest between two teams. Nowadays, it's become part of the entertainment business. What's important now is how much money a particular Board can make. Cricket matches are now pseudo-events or live concerts. It's all about making millions and entertaining the masses. We have PR teams who promote the team and it's players and even average players and average performances are glorified. Even the local commentaters are now PR personnel who's main job is just to promote the players and the team. Aamir Sohail arguing with Simon Doull that in T20's a batter's average is more important than his strike-rate, says it all.

That's the reason we play a full-strength side against a B or even minnow teams. That's the reason we plan to play even fewer Tests than Bangladesh in the FTP. Like a product the PCB is just interested in promoting this team and making money. We prefer playing against mediocre sides and glorify their useless T20 wins.

I was watching a recent interview of Ramiz Raja and he was praising this team with statements like: " We reached the finals of the T20 WC at the expense of India, we reached the final of the Asia Cup ( a tournament hardly anyone cares about), we beat Australia in a T20 series. We have match-winners who are have won prestigious ICC Awards, our players are at the top of the cricket ratings, we are a top cricketing nation and people should support this team rather than criticize it, etc etc.

Last edited:
Misleading to call Pakistan a white ball side that is not good enough. This was true probably for the ODI side who have been smashed even by B and C sides.

Pakistan has been an excellent T20 side for the most part apart from the 2012-2016 period. The 2022 Pakistan T20 side had some of the best players and apart from a few poor decisions, they were tactically on point.

It is no fluke that in the last 2 World T20's that they only lost to eventual winners.

I don't rate Pakistan as highy in ODIs although they are much improved from the horror show in 2015 and I am convinced that Pakistan will NEVER be a top Test side ever again .

Agree with this. I think we are a very strong t20 side up there with anyone, improving in odis but not there yet and completely meh in tests.

To answer the thread, Pakistan is a powerful t20 side and doesn't need smokescreens. However this refusing to experiment even when the T20WC is ages away is both annoying and damaging.

Pakistan’s performance in the last two T20 World Cups was misleading. The only reason they made the semifinals in 2021 was because Babar won every toss. That World Cup was heavily skewed towards the team batting second.

In 2022, they fluked their way into the semifinal thanks to Zimbabwe’s lucky escape against South Africa due to rain and Netherlands’ upset against South Africa.

Overall, Pakistan is not a top team in this format. The openers are slow and the middle-order lacks consistency and firepower.

Hello all.

Next t20 WC more than a year anyway.

Another meaningless t20 series, not a 2, 3 match series, but a 5 match super series.

Panicked after losing to Afghanistan with a team of newbies, then loaded the team with all the frontline players against a bunch of NZ kiddos. Incredible.

Are we supposed to be proud of destroying some school children in these t20 series? letting the stat padders stat pad, and then once everyone plays their real teams at the t20 WC we’ll be scrambling to beat Zim and hoping Uganda or whoever upset South Africa so we can get through to semis again.

Pak cricket seems be going down the toilet as far as tests are concerned already. We need to settle on our ODI combo but we’re out here wasting time. Could’ve used this slot for a series in another format.

Well, it is not up to PCB to insist on NZ or any country sending their frontline players. Afganistan has came close to beating our full strength side more than a few times. It was only a matter of time before they succeeded in beating us. Luckily it happened against a half strength Pakistan side.

Only NZ batting is weak their Bowling is very Good Adam Milne, Jim Neesham and Matt Henry are top class and Ish Sodhi is their frontline spinner. Bolt and Southie are past their prime anyways.
That is true the focus should be on Odi cricket and not T20, We should have played Odi's against Afghanistan. But 5 Odi Vs NZ are not bad.

Last edited:
I dont think, Pakistan is a hard team to beat in T20 cricket evident in two consecutive semi-final plus appearances in two completely different conditions.

T20 competitiveness has come at a cost of longer format teams though.

We are too quick to write off teams. This New Zealand team is underrated and the nature of the T20 format is that it's very competitive. Any team can beat another if one or two players perform

We are too quick to write off teams. This New Zealand team is underrated and the nature of the T20 format is that it's very competitive. Any team can beat another if one or two players perform

its bowling attack has experience. We just want to bash Babar Azam tahts why

Pakistan had a stronger team today than the one they played in the WC final

What an embarrassing loss!

So you can pick the failures but he averages into the mid 40s and over a period of time. What does that tell you. Babar doesn't approval from random haters, his record speaks for itself.

I'm not picking failures, I'm trying to establish what has Babar done against first string bowling attacks in T20Is?

I'm no hater, I hold him in high regard in ODIs and Tests. However as a captain (in all formats) and as a T20I player, the guy is a loser.

Unlike you I actually deal in facts whereas you are more interested in conspiracy theories such as "Pakistan vs Ireland 2007 WC game was rigged".

Last edited:
Pakistan’s performance in the last two T20 World Cups was misleading. The only reason they made the semifinals in 2021 was because Babar won every toss. That World Cup was heavily skewed towards the team batting second.

In 2022, they fluked their way into the semifinal thanks to Zimbabwe’s lucky escape against South Africa due to rain and Netherlands’ upset against South Africa.

Overall, Pakistan is not a top team in this format. The openers are slow and the middle-order lacks consistency and firepower.

This is exactly what the Rizbar and the green tinted hype brigade don't seem to comprehend.

Pakistan have got lucky and were certainly not worthy finalists in 2022 WT20. They had an easy group in the group stage but still somehow lost to a minnow. The only reason why they made it through is because South Africa again came up with their trademark bottle job, this time against an even worse minnow than Zimbabwe.

The winner of the tournament all came down to the England v India semi-final who were by far the best two sides in the competition. This would have been the best final for the neutral.

England v Pakistan final was a horrible mismatch between the best white ball team in world cricket and the most overrated team who've been marketed as a side of world beaters by beating depleted sides and minnows.

I don't think PCB are purposely trying to do anything. Opposition will send whatever team they want and PAK can only beat what's in front of them.

Playing any cricket during the IPL will almost certainly mean playing against a B team, should we just sit back for 2 months and watch IPL too?

This is exactly what the Rizbar and the green tinted hype brigade don't seem to comprehend.

Pakistan have got lucky and were certainly not worthy finalists in 2022 WT20. They had an easy group in the group stage but still somehow lost to a minnow. The only reason why they made it through is because South Africa again came up with their trademark bottle job, this time against an even worse minnow than Zimbabwe.

The winner of the tournament all came down to the England v India semi-final who were by far the best two sides in the competition. This would have been the best final for the neutral.

England v Pakistan final was a horrible mismatch between the best white ball team in world cricket and the most overrated team who've been marketed as a side of world beaters by beating depleted sides and minnows.

I may have watched another game.

The fact is if SSA had not been injured, we could have well won. It wasn't as one-sided as the non-green tinted non-Pakistan loving brigade would like us to believe.

Back