Is TikTok of any benefit to our society?

Is TikTok of any benefit to our society?

• Total voters

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Seems every other day, we have news of someone getting killed/injured doing TikTok videos or we have other unfortunate incidents related to it.

So question is, is there any benefit to society from this craze or should we ban it for good?

Personally, I have never used TikTok but to say it is useless is incorrect. There are numerous channels related to health, education, culture and science and they provide remarkable content. WHO, governments, NGOs, leaders and professionals are on TikTok where they provide crucial information worldwide in a very speedy manner.

Not to mention, thousands of Pakistanis earn a living from TikTok. If we ban such an app, who will compensate them for their losses.

I think TikTok is harmful not because of the app but because how people tend to use it.

I don't mind seeing it banned. I personally find it useless anyway.

Seems every other day, we have news of someone getting killed/injured doing TikTok videos or we have other unfortunate incidents related to it.

So question is, is there any benefit to society from this craze or should we ban it for good?

thats not tiktoks fault, thats stupid peoples fault. u can take away tiktok and they will just find another platform to do stupid things on.

it is useful. ALot of people make money from it.

It is a very good entertainement channel for the lower class and middle class people.

I dont understand why should there be policing for everything

thats not tiktoks fault, thats stupid peoples fault. u can take away tiktok and they will just find another platform to do stupid things on.

Exactly. As long as TikTok users aren't breaking any laws, I don't really see any issue with it. The real problem is that actual lawbreakers don't seem to fear the law, and that shouldn't be the case considering Pakistan has years of martial law experience. It's the criminals who need to have the hammer brought down on them, then you can worry about the value of TikTok.

Also the Tiktok ban that happens in Pakistan from time to time is not because of the content. THere is another app callled snack video which is a competitor of Tick Tock. THe ban happens because of snackvideo as they compete with ticktock and im not sure but I heard Snackvideo is local

Any aspect is useful or not, it depends upon how people use it.

For example, religion can enable to lead a man a moral, happy life but then again, with so much religious clashes going around in the world, it brings the question, is religion useful?

Same goes for tiktok or any other X, Y, Z entity. It is totally depend upon the people.

Well we banned TikTok and it was replaced with 15 or so other such apps. There is a parallel world where it provides employment and is consumed as entertainment.

Doesnt matter, its here to stay.

TikTok is only a tool.

It has good uses and bad uses. However, this tool also EXPOSES the nature of users and trends in a nation.

IMO, Tiktok is an indicator that tells us a big majority of our sexually frustrated nation has become quite baighairut.

Yeah, some minor group of people may get some good use out of it but mostly, our people simply and simply waste time on it.

This time can be put towards doing something positive for the betterment of society and for self improvement.

Its as useful or as useless as any other social media app, you can use it to raise awareness or spread nonsense, you can use it to educate others or you can use it to spread violence.

for me its been quite useful as a business tool, no other medium promotes a business as good as it.

Yes, it's for mostly for entertainment but it's also quite educational and you learn about your peers or people successful in your fields. There are a lot of informative tiktoks about every topic out there, it's all about how you use it. Gen Z humor is mainly driven from Tiktok now. If someone's getting weird tiktoks then they should blame the algorithm cause it curates tiktoks based off your browsing history.

It’s a huge detriment for a society like Pakistan where there is already an extreme lack of intellect and taste.

Following the shocking assault on a female TikToker’s assault near Minar-e-Pakistan in Lahore on Independence Day, the federal cabinet on Tuesday decided to initiate a “major debate” by forming a committee tasked to give recommendations that could help to make some regulations to deal with such issues in the future.

The past few months have been quite eventful for TikTok in Pakistan. The social media platform has been in the news for a variety of reasons -- ranging from the telecommunication authority’s ban on the application due to “inappropriate content” to the assault on women at public places and transport.

At a post-cabinet meeting briefing, Federal Information and Broadcasting Minister Fawad Chaudhry said Prime Minister Imran Khan had expressed his concern over the TikToker assault and other such incidents.

Subsequently, the government’s spokesperson added that the cabinet has decided that a “major” debate would be started on such issues in the presence of people from different schools of thought.

“They will discuss different aspects of social media applications and give recommendations for a future course of action,” he added.

On the basis of constructive discussions, the information minister said, it would be decided what kind of regulations should be brought to deal with such issues.

“A high-level committee comprising religious scholars, intellectuals and representatives from the civil society is being formed and it will give its suggestions to the government,” Fawad added.

The minister said the cabinet had also discussed specific incidents of harassment of women and decided that a consultative process would be held to decide a way forward.

He said that the people invited for debate would discuss the trends dominating social media and give guidelines to the government.

Speaking about e-voting and electronic voting machines (EVMs), Fawad said rigging was an essential part of all the elections that the opposition parties had won.

“There hasn’t been a single election where the opposition parties, especially the PML-N, have won through fair means and that is why they are trying that the previous system goes on.”

The minister maintained that the government had tried to reach out to the opposition for the past year and tried to make them understand that the system needed to be changed.

“But there has been a constant effort by the opposition parties that the nine million Pakistanis living overseas do not get the right to vote and electoral reforms do not take place in the country.”

The minister said the PML-N and the PPP, through an organised conspiracy, wanted to deprive overseas Pakistanis of their right to vote.

He noted that most out of the 36 recommendations that the judicial commission, formed after the PTI protested against the rigging in four constituencies after the 2013 elections, had given were about the things that could go wrong after the polling time ended and election results were coming out.

“The EVMs can put an end to them,” he added.

He said that the judicial commission’s recommendations were an essential and integral part of the electoral reforms. Additionally, he said, the cabinet had also directed the National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA) to conclude the e-voting process as soon as possible because Pakistan’s economy was dependent on the overseas Pakistanis.

“By not securing the voting right of overseas Pakistan that has already been given to them under the Constitution would a ‘big failure.”

Commenting on the Pakistan Democratic Movement (PDM), he said the opposition alliance’s future was in London.

Referring to the PML-N leadership, he said, their weddings and children were in London and they might buy some more flats there.

“Let’s see when [JUI-F chief] Maulana Fazlur Rehman goes to London,” he added.

He also said PML-N leader Maryam Nawaz also wanted to go to London to congratulate her son on his wedding.

“The way things and politics are, I think the PDM will either select Tory or Labour [party],” he quipped while naming the two major political parties in the UK.

To a question, Fawad said the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) was in a state of "disarray" after Indian funding for the militant outfit had stopped. The minister said Pakistan was not a “weak country” and possessed the capability to overcome any challenges posed by the TTP.

Also read Taliban told to make clean break from ETIM, TTP

“These internal challenges are not a problem for us. Our [belief] is that once they stop having a funding stream from abroad then it will be a big blow for them and the rest we will handle ourselves.”

While welcoming the Afghan Taliban’s announcement that their soil would not be allowed to be used for terrorism against any other country, he said top terrorists from the Balochistan Liberation Army and TTP were present in the war-torn neighbouring country and would be handed over to Pakistan.

The minister said Pakistan was playing a responsible role in the process of the formation of a government in Afghanistan and was in close contact with Turkey, China and other countries for this purpose.

“Pakistan is in contact with the authorities in Afghanistan and also in touch with other countries.”

He said if Pakistan’s advice of reaching a political solution was heard earlier then the situation would have been different now. “It is unfortunate that Pakistan’s advice was not heard,” he regretted.

Fawad also said India should stay away from interfering in Afghanistan as it did have a border with the country.

“India has used Afghan land against Pakistan in the past few years. We are seeing an effort through Indian media that the peace process in Afghanistan should be sabotaged.”

The minister said Pakistan was a partner in peace and did not want any other country, including India to sabotage the process.

“We hope that the international community will take notice of this.”

Read more ‘No extension in evacuations from Afghanistan’, Taliban tell US

To a question as to whether or not the US was happy with Pakistan’s role, he said American Secretary of State Antony Blinken had spoken with the foreign minister thrice; the army chief had exchanged views with the US chief of the central command and close consultation was underway with the Pentagon and the defence department.

“Two tracks of consultation are in process. One is of regional countries, which includes Turkey, Iran, and central Asian states. The second is the extended dialogue going on in Doha where China, Russia, the US, and Pakistan are involved. Both tracks are moving forward.”

The minister claimed that Pakistan was a major regional power. “Whether it is the US, UK or anyone else, Pakistan’s consent would be necessary for regional decisions.

“Just look at the countries where the army and institutions are not strong; the countries can’t run that way,” he claimed.

The cabinet approved an “important ordinance” which was pending for some time now. Under the ordinance, Fawad said, the membership of all those who had not taken oath within 60 days after winning a seat in parliament would be ended.

To a question if the incumbent finance minister would be elected from Lahore after the seat of PML-N leader Ishaq Dar was vacated once the ordinance was promulgated, Fawad said the premier would decide the matter.

To another query, Fawad said he did not have any information about SAPM Waqar Masood’s resignation – the news which dominated the TV screens on Tuesday.

The cabinet appointed Dr Ashfaq Ahmed as the new chairman of the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR). Nadeem Zafar has been appointed the chief Statistician of Pakistan – a slot lying vacant for the past three years.

The cabinet was told that the economic indicators were “fantastic”, sustainability was seen in the exports; inflation was decreasing, a constant decrease was being witnessed in the debt-to-GDP ratio, and business confidence was increasing.

It’s a huge detriment for a society like Pakistan where there is already an extreme lack of intellect and taste.

nailed it.
The damage and harm it has inflicted, far outweighs any benefit it may have provided to Pakistani society.

In the midst of a climate change crisis, while everyone is subjected to deadly heatwaves, polluted air quality and water shortage, a famous TikToker with a verified account and more than 11 million followers, decided to start an actual fire at the Margalla Hills for a viral promotional video. Nosheen Syed, known as Dolly, the said TikToker, was later charged on the complaint of the Capital Development Authority (CDA) under wildlife and environment protection laws.

The influencer collaborated with a fashion brand called Bling for this video. In the video, she can be seen walking and posing with a forest fire in the background. After severe backlash, the videos have been removed.

Social media users are infuriated by this ‘disgusting’ and ‘bizarre’ trend that causes ecological damage and risks human lives in the name of haute culture and called out the social media influencers to do better and be aware of the responsibility they hold. There were several reminders not to think of their videos as mere consumption for certain likes and comments.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/235714...Margalla-Hills-on-fire-for-a-video,-draws-ire

TikToker Dolly disputes location of viral fire video

TikToker Dolly, following backlash on social media plus a condemnation by TikTok itself on a video posted by her this week, has issued a clarification saying people were not aware of the "reality".

On Tuesday, Humaira Asghar, popularly known as Dolly on her social platforms, posted a clip of herself on TikTok walking playfully in a silver ball gown with a burning hillside as the backdrop, captioned, “Fire erupts wherever I am.”

It was widely presumed that the video was shot in Islamabad's Margalla Hills.

Asghar, who has more than 11 million followers on TikTok, was accused of conjuring up the flames for views and lambasted for being ignorant of the impact of such a fire on the environment. Asghar had said in a clarification released by an assistant that she did not start the fire and there was “no harm in making videos”.

As the condemnation grew, she released another statement on Wednesday, saying that people were not "aware of the reality" and that she was not okay with the "fake" claim of her being the fire starter.

She also posted a BTS video to back up her statement, expressing disappointment in social media's role in tarnishing a "celebrity's reputation".

"Everyone watch my video that depicts the real picture and make it go as viral as you can," she asked her followers.

"I feel compelled to make this video because social media has disappointed me very much. Taking such a big step, making a video go viral without knowing the reality and creating an issue for a celebrity — social media does create problems for celebrities — I am really upset about this," she started.

"You guys should have talked to me first, investigated and found out what the reality is. After that if you had felt something wasn't adding up, then if you had taken this step, it would've been okay. The reality differs from this entirely, first of all it has been years that I have not gone to Kohsar National Park — you can conduct an investigation — I am making this claim with full surety.

"Secondly, I was on my way back from a makeup class in Haripur, [traveling via] motorway and that is where I witnessed this entire scenario for which I will upload a video with that man's account," she said.

The TikToker made a "humble request" to her followers to make this video go viral just as they did for the "fake" video.

"As you can clearly see in this video the billboard indicates the place which is [the] motorway and NOT National Park Kohsar. Listen to the person in this video carefully so that you know the reality," she captioned the video, adding that she expects justice.

In the video, Dolly can be seen in the same silver ball gown as the viral video with the fire ablaze in the background. She addressed the camera and said, "Guys look at this, we came here and the jungle is on fire, we asked him and this is what he said."

The man standing next to her says that it was him who set the fire because of the huge snakes that reside there. He said the snakes were endangering the lives of their kids so they were using the flames to curtail the reptiles.

While the location of the fire may be under dispute, what Asghar, who is a public figure, needs to realise is that regardless, it was a bad call to use the blaze as a background. She is not alone in her ignorance; earlier this month, the police arrested a man in Abbottabad for intentionally starting a forest fire as a background for a video.

Asghar denies that she started the fire but posing in front of it only sends out the message that natural disasters can be used as props for entertainment which is a strong no.

Forest fires are already raging this summer and it would do better for influencers to educate the masses about the adverse effects and use their platform to kindle the flame of awareness.
https://images.dawn.com/news/1190121/tiktoker-dolly-disputes-location-of-viral-fire-video

In all honesty Instagram is atleast used as a business promotion tool, I’m still to understand the point of Tiktok.. maybe it’s for a different generation

I call it the survival of the fittest. Let them kill themselves off while making or watching these videos. The world will be better for it at the end. LOL

I think TikTok is harmful not because of the app but because how people tend to use it.

I don't mind seeing it banned. I personally find it useless anyway.

My opinion hasn't changed.

I think TikTok is still quite trashy. There are far more useful apps.

A local court on Friday granted interim bail to a TikToker in connection with the forest fire case.

Nosheen Saeed alias Doli applied for the pre-arrest bail after registration of a First Information Report (FIR) against her for setting the forest ablaze for making a video.

Two separate TikTok videos went viral on social media this week: one showing two youngsters setting the forest ablaze on Margalla Hills and the other of Doli performing in front of a fire in the forest.

Additional district and sessions judge Abida Sajjad took up the application of Doli seeking pre-arrest bail.

Her counsel argued that the forest was already under fire when the TikToker visited there and that the area did not fall within the territorial jurisdiction of Islamabad Capital Territory (ICT).

The court granted interim bail to her till May 27 and sought record from the Kohsar police station.

Case against anchorperson
The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Friday granted interim bail to anchorperson Sami Ibrahim for uploading a vlog which allegedly contained derogatory remarks against the army and the judiciary.

The FIR against Mr Ibrahim was registered in the district of Attock. IHC Chief Justice Athar Minallah accepted the bail against Rs10,000 surety bonds.

Raja Amir Abbas, counsel for Mr Ibrahim, argued before the chief justice that Attok police registered the FIR in violation of the court’s earlier direction passed on a petition of Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) leaders Fawad Chaudhry and others.

Justice Minallah remarked that the restraining order was issued in a different matter and for a specific political party which alleged that the incident occurred in Saudi Arabia and cases against them were politically motivated.

The chief justice observed that the case of Mr Ibrahim was different and since the FIR was registered in Attock, the area did not fall within the territorial jurisdiction of the IHC, hence the court cannot intervene in the case. The court, however, granted one-week’s protective bail to Mr Ibrahim and advised him to appear before the trial court concerned.

Published in Dawn, May 21st, 2022

A district court in Islamabad on Friday rejected TikToker Nosheen Saeed alias Dolly's pre-arrest bail application in a case related to a forest fire.

Saeed, who has more than 11 million followers on TikTok, had posted a clip of herself walking playfully in a silver ball gown in front of a burning hillside, presumably the Margalla Hills in Islamabad, with the caption: "Fire erupts wherever I am."

Her video immediately came under fire on social media as people initially assumed that she had started the blaze herself at a time when a devastating heatwave was underway in Pakistan causing forest fires.

Subsequently, within hours after it was uploaded, the video was taken down from the application.

Later, Saeed said in a clarification released by an assistant that she did not start the fire and there was "no harm in making videos".

She had applied for pre-arrest bail after registration of a first information report (FIR) against her for setting the forest ablaze to shoot a video. The court had granted her interim bail till May 27 (today).

However, prior to today's hearing, her lawyer, Mian Tariq Manzoor, filed an application to transfer the bail case from Judge Abida Sajjad.

During the hearing of the transfer application by Judge Kamran Basharat Mufti, Saeed's lawyer told the court that he had submitted the bail bonds as well as a surety from his friend but Judge Sajjad rejected bail saying that the court could not accept surety from a lawyer.

The counsel said the TikToker was unable to arrange surety from a local and the judge had "made up her mind before listening to the facts of the case". He requested that the case be transferred to another judge "on merit".

He also claimed that the fire was started in Haripur but the complainant had not yet identified the area.

Judge Mufti said the court would await the government's response and adjourned the hearing till June 1.

When Judge Sajjad resumed the hearing on the pre-arrest bail application later in the day, she asked where the suspect was.

The court clerk then asked the suspect – Saeed – to come to the courtroom thrice but she did not appear. Instead, she stayed in her lawyer's chamber.

Her lawyer, Manzoor, informed the court that hearing on the transfer application had been adjourned till June 1 and requested the court to grant his client time till then.

For his part, the government's lawyer Hasnain Haider argued that the district court was not authorised to hear matters related to forest fires.

Judge Sajjad then dismissed the pre-arrest bail application.

Subsequently, her lawyer submitted a fresh application for pre-arrest bail which was heard by Judge Mufti but it was again dismissed.

Following the hearings, Saeed left the courtroom with her lawyer but is yet to be arrested.

DAWN

ISLAMABAD: The Islamabad High Court (IHC) Monday granted interim bail to TikToker Nausheen Saeed till June 8 in exchange for a bond of Rs100,000.

The famous TikToker — better known as Dolly — has been granted bail in a case registered under the Environmental Protection Act for setting fires in the Margalla forest.

According to the Islamabad Wildlife Ordinance and Islamabad Preservation of Landscape Ordinance, a case was filed against Dolly in the IHC for an immediate hearing. The court had accepted the hearing.

While hearing the bail application, Justice Tariq Mehmood Jahangiri issued a notice of the bail to the plaintiff till June 8 and directed her to submit a bond of Rs100,000.

During the hearing, the court expressed displeasure over the late arrival of Dolly's lawyer.

Last week, a district and sessions court in Islamabad disposed of the pre-arrest bail plea submitted by the social media personality.

Dolly came under fire after one of her controversial videos went viral on social media. In the footage, two young people could be seen setting a forest on fire at Margalla Hills to add a "dramatic effect" to their TikTok video.

Consequently, wildlife officials demanded action against the TikToker, after which the Islamabad Police registered a case against her on the complaint of the Capital Development Authority (CDA) for setting the Margalla forest ablaze.

Dolly, however, denied the accusations and claimed that she had no involvement in setting any forest ablaze.

GEO

IHC approves TikToker Nosheen Saeed's pre-arrest bail in forest fire video case

The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Wednesday approved TikToker Nosheen Saeed alias Dolly's pre-arrest bail application in a case related to a forest fire at the Margalla Hills last month.

Saeed, who has more than 11 million followers on TikTok, had posted a clip of herself walking playfully in a silver ball gown in front of a burning hillside, presumably the Margalla Hills in Islamabad, with the caption: "Fire erupts wherever I am."

Her video was immediately criticised on social media as people initially assumed that she had started the blaze herself at a time when a devastating heatwave was under way in Pakistan causing forest fires.

Within hours after it was uploaded, the video was taken down from the application.

Later, Saeed said in a clarification released by an assistant that she did not start the fire and there was "no harm in making videos".

She had applied for pre-arrest bail after registration of a first information report by Kohsar Police under various sections of the Environment Protection Agency and Islamabad Wildlife Ordinance.

After the preliminary hearing, the court granted her interim bail till June 8 (today).

During today's hearing, Justice Tariq Mehmood Jahangiri asked the police if they had evidence that proved that the blaze was started by the TikToker. "And what is the worth of the trees damaged in it," he further inquired.

The investigating officer responded that the authorities yet still determining the total loss incurred in the blaze.

Subsequently, the court approved Saeed's request for pre-arrest bail and instructed the police to include her in the investigation of the case.

The Islamabad Police had registered two separate FIRs after two videos went viral on social media; one showing two young TikTokers setting the forest on fire with a lighter on Margalla Hills. Another video that went viral on social media showed a model and TikToker Dolly performing in front of a fire.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1693767/i...eds-pre-arrest-bail-in-forest-fire-video-case

With 12.5 million videos removed, Pakistan ranks second in the world for the largest number of videos taken down from the TikTok platform over violation of community guidelines during the first quarter of 2022.

The world’s leading short-form video platform on Tuesday released its global Community Guidelines Enforcement Report, highlighting that 102.3 million videos were removed globally from the platform, which is approximately 1 per cent of the total uploaded content.

The highest numbers of videos were removed from the United States, ranking first in terms of removal rate.

TikTok explained that the videos were removed for violating its "robust set of community guidelines that are designed to foster an experience that prioritizes safety, inclusion, and authenticity".

According to the report, the rate of deletion of any video before it was viewed in Pakistan was 96.5 per cent while the rate of deletion within 24 hours was 97.3 per cent.

It revealed that in the wake of the Russia-Ukraine conflict, the security team kept tabs on the videos posted related to the war and deleted 41,191 videos, 87 per cent of which violated the policies concerning harmful and misinformation.

TikTok also labelled content from 49 Russian state-controlled media accounts. The platform also identified and removed 6 networks and 204 accounts globally for coordinated efforts to influence public opinion and mislead users about their identities.

The report also revealed that the total volume of ads removed for violating TikTok's advertising policies and guidelines increased in the first quarter of 2022.

The report also showed that the total volume of ads removed for violating TikTok's advertising policies and guidelines increased in the first quarter of 2022, the press release concluded.

It may be mentioned here that Tiktok’s special focus on Russia’s invasion of Ukraine came after the platform became an information battleground during the conflict with many doctored videos going viral.

In order to address the problem, the platform swung into action and put up a team to manually review disturbing content, using artificial intelligence technology to flag such material.

Last year, the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) restored the services of TikTok on assurances of the popular video-sharing platform to control “immoral/indecent content” after nearly a five-month suspension.

The Chinese video-sharing platform had also assured that the users who are continuously involved in uploading unlawful content will be blocked from using the platform, after PTA officials held a detailed discussion with regard to content moderation on the social networking app in line with the local laws and societal norms.

Express Tribune

TikTok could face a £27m fine for failing to protect children's privacy when they're using the platform.

The UK's Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) found the video-sharing platform may have processed the data of under-13s without appropriate consent.

The watchdog said the breach happened over more than two years - until July 2020 - but that it had not yet drawn final conclusions.

TikTok says it disputes the findings, noting that they are "provisional".

The ICO has issued TikTok Inc and TikTok Information Technologies UK Limited with a "notice of intent" - a legal document which precedes a potential fine.

The notice sets out the ICO's provisional view that TikTok breached UK data protection law between May 2018 and July 2020.

The ICO investigation found the social platform may have:

processed the data of children under the age of 13 without appropriate parental consent
failed to provide proper information to its users in a concise, transparent and easily understood way
processed special category data, without legal grounds to do so

According to Ofcom, 44% of eight to 12-year-olds in the UK use TikTok, despite its policies forbidding under-13s on the platform.

Information Commissioner John Edwards said: "We all want children to be able to learn and experience the digital world, but with proper data privacy protections.

"Companies providing digital services have a legal duty to put those protections in place, but our provisional view is that TikTok fell short of meeting that requirement."

TikTok has rolled out a number of features to strengthen the privacy and safety on the site - including allowing parents to link their accounts to their children's, and disabling direct messaging for under-16s.

But Mr Edwards continued: "I've been clear that our work to better protect children online involves working with organisations, but will also involve enforcement action where necessary.

"In addition to this, we are currently looking into how over 50 different online services are conforming with the Children's Code, and have six ongoing investigations looking into companies providing digital services who haven't, in our initial view, taken their responsibilities around child safety seriously enough."

Rolled out in September last year, the Children's Code put in place new data protection codes of practice for online services likely to be accessed by children, built on existing data protection laws, with financial penalties a possibility for serious breaches.

The ICO said its findings in the notice were provisional, with no conclusion to be drawn at this stage that there had been any breach of data protection law.

It added: "We will carefully consider any representations from TikTok before taking a final decision."

A TikTok spokesperson said: "This notice of intent, covering the period May 2018-July 2020, is provisional and as the ICO itself has stated, no final conclusions can be drawn at this time.

"While we respect the ICO's role in safeguarding privacy in the UK, we disagree with the preliminary views expressed and intend to formally respond to the ICO in due course."

Previous action
In 2019, the firm was given a record $5.7m fine by the Federal Trade Commission, for mishandling children's data.

It has also been fined in South Korea for similar reasons.

In July, the US Senate Commerce Committee voted to approve a measure that would raise the age that children were given special online privacy protections to 16, and prohibit targeted advertising to children without consent.

BBC

With 15,351,388 videos removed, Pakistan ranked second in the world for the largest volume of videos taken down for Community Guidelines violations from 1 April 2022 - 30 June 2022.

According to the latest Community Guidelines Enforcement Report; from Pakistan, 97% of videos were removed within 24 hours of being posted for violating Community Guidelines, 98% were removed before a user reported them, and 97% were removed before having any views.

Sindh High Court has ordered to provide security to popular TikToker, Hareem Shah, reported Express PK. According to the report, a hearing on Shah's security application was held in the Sindh High Court on Tuesday.

The social media sensation's lawyer pleaded that Shah felt troubling security concerns in two recent incidents. The legal team of Shah said that the petitioner has received threats through unknown calls and social media accounts.

A study into TikTok's video recommendation algorithm has found it suggests eating disorder and self-harm content to some new teen accounts within minutes.

Research from the Centre for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH) saw one account shown suicide content within 2.6 minutes, and another suggested eating disorder content within eight minutes.

https://news.sky.com/story/tiktok-s...-accounts-within-minutes-study-finds-12768061

US Senate Passes Legislation To Ban TikTok From Government Devices

In response to mounting national-security concerns, the United States Senate unanimously passed legislation prohibiting government employees from installing and using the short-form video hosting service app TikTok on government devices.

The bipartisan legislation to forbid the use of the Chinese app was introduced on Tuesday in the US Senate by Republican Senator Marco Rubio, ratcheting up pressure on ByteDance due to US fears the app could be used to spy on Americans and censure content.

The legislation would block all transactions from any social media company in or under the influence of China and Russia, Rubio's office said.

The legislation is called the "Averting the National Threat of Internet Surveillance, Oppressive Censorship and Influence, and Algorithmic Learning by the Chinese Communist Party Act" (Anti-Social CCP Act) and is expected to protect Americans by blocking and prohibiting all transactions from any social media company in China, among other countries.

According to Wall Street Journal, the legislation would still have to pass the House and be signed by the president to become law. A similar bill passed the Senate in a previous Congress but never moved forward in the House.

The vote is the latest action on the part of US lawmakers to crackdown on Chinese companies amid national security fears that Beijing could use them to spy on Americans.

The Senate action comes after North Dakota and Iowa this week joined a growing number of U.S. states in banning TikTok, owned by ByteDance, from state-owned devices amid concerns that data could be passed on to the Chinese government.

During the last Congress, the Senate in August 2020 unanimously approved legislation to bar TikTok from government devices. The bill's sponsor, Republican Senator Josh Hawley, reintroduced in legislation in 2021.

Many federal agencies, including the Defense, Homeland Security, and State departments, already ban TikTok from government-owned devices. "TikTok is a major security risk to the United States, and it has no place on government devices," Hawley said previously.

NDTV

China has accused the US of overreacting after federal employees were ordered to remove the video app TikTok from government-issued phones.

On Monday, the White House gave government agencies 30 days to ensure that employees did not have the Chinese-owned app on federal devices.

The order follows similar moves by the EU and Canada in recent weeks.

A spokesperson for China's foreign ministry accused the US of abusing state power to suppress foreign firms.

"We firmly oppose those wrong actions," spokeswoman Mao Ning told reporters during a news briefing on Tuesday. "The US government should respect the principles of market economy and fair competition, stop suppressing the companies and provide an open, fair and non-discriminatory environment for foreign companies in the US."

"How unsure of itself can the world's top superpower like the US be to fear young people's favourite app like that," she added.

Western officials have become increasingly concerned about the popular video sharing app - which is owned by Chinese firm ByteDance - in recent months.

TikTok has faced allegations that it harvests users' data and hands it to the Chinese government, with some intelligence agencies worried that sensitive information could be exposed when the app is downloaded to government devices.

The company insists it operates no differently to other social media companies. A TikTok spokesperson told the BBC that it is "fully independent and "has not provided user data to the Chinese government, nor would we if asked".

BBC

lol China doesn't allow anyone in their kingdom , should be the last to talk about their social media apps.

TikTok's US future at stake as boss faces Congress showdown

On Thursday, TikTok's CEO, Shou Zi Chew, will be opening a lion's mouth and placing his own head into it.

He's giving testimony in the US Congress for the first time, a scary thing to do.

And at stake is the future of the phenomenally popular video-sharing app in the US.

"I think that there is a real risk that if this hearing doesn't go well… that could have a massive impact on the future of TikTok," said Chris Stokel-Walker, author of TikTok Boom.

Mr Chew is likely to face a barrage of questions on TikTok's relationship with China, what data it collects, and what it does with it.

He'll also be quizzed on why several journalists were spied on by ByteDance employees - something TikTok has already admitted.

Mr Chew will say user data is safe - away from the reach of the Chinese government.

He knows politicians from all sides want to see the platform either sold - or outright banned in the US.

"He's going into the lion's den," said Mr Stokel-Walker.

Mr Chew is going to need to give the performance of a lifetime. And already, close observers have seen a change of tactic from the Singaporean.

TikTok's boss, who has had a range of senior positions in the world of finance, generally sports a suit jacket and tie.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65045804

If it wasn’t clear before to Mr Chew about the uphill battle he faces in the US, it will be now.

Chew’s strategy was to convince lawmakers that TikTok is a distinct entity from Chinese owned ByteDance.

That was a misjudgement. ByteDance owns TikTok, and arguing otherwise is counter-productive.

And Chew didn’t want to say whether he owned shares in ByteDance initially, though when pushed he eventually said he did. Trying to downplay the connection didn’t work, and made him look shifty.

He also lacked any kind of meaningful counter punch.

There is a lack of evidence that TikTok passes evidence to the Chinese Communist Party. Chew could have pushed back when asked about this: “What evidence are you referring to?” he could have said.

Instead, it felt like too much of his testimony was spent on the back foot.

Having said that, there were no spectacular blunders by Chew.

But legislators will feel emboldened after this. There is clearly a huge caucus of US politicians that are not satisfied with TikTok, and weren’t thrilled by his answers today.

BBC

US Senators grilling TikTok CEO:

<iframe width="400" height="500" frameborder="0" src="https://www.bbc.com/news/av-embeds/65058744"></iframe>

What is Project Texas?

If you followed today's hearing as closely as I have - you will have noticed that one initiative which kept coming up time and time again was Project Texas.

So what is it?

• It is an initiative, proposed by TikTok, that would calm US national security concerns. TikTok calls it a firewall, that protects US data.
  • The project involves restructuring TikTok so American user data is stored with software company Oracle in Texas.
  • It will cost at least $1.5bn (£1.22)
  • TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew hopes to have all of the data transferred by the end of the year
  • But, until then, Beijing engineers working for TikTok's parent company Bytedance would still have access to data
  • Chew repeatedly told Congress that Project Texas would mean "American data is on American soil and overseen by an American company"
  • TikTok proposes this subsidiary would be subject to government scrutiny, suggesting a US government-approved auditor could keep an eye its systems

BBC

It has only served to dumb down and reduce attention span of its users

US says China may spy with TikTok. It uses Google to spy globally
Lawmakers’ push to ban the app comes as they mull extending powers that force tech firms to facilitate mass snooping for the United States.

During a five-hour grilling of the chief executive of TikTok last week, United States lawmakers railed against the possibility of China using the wildly popular, partly Chinese-owned app to spy on Americans.

They did not mention how the US government itself uses US tech companies that effectively control the global internet to spy on everyone else.

As the US considers banning the short video app used by more than 150 million Americans, lawmakers are also weighing the renewal of powers that force firms like Google, Meta and Apple to facilitate untrammelled spying on non-US citizens located overseas.

Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), which the US Congress must vote to reauthorise by December to prevent it from lapsing under a sunset clause, allows US intelligence agencies to carry out warrantless spying on foreigners’ email, phone and other online communications.

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2...ok-raises-hypocrisy-charge-amid-global-spying

TikTok fined £12.7m for misusing children's data

TikTok has been fined £12.7m by the UK's data watchdog for failing to protect the privacy of children.

It estimated TikTok allowed up to 1.4 million UK children aged under 13 to use the platform in 2020.

The video-sharing site used the data of children of this age without parental consent, according to an investigation by the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO).

TikTok said it had "invested heavily" to stop under-13s accessing the site.

The ICO said many were able to access the site despite TikTok setting 13 as the minimum age to create an account.

It said that children's data may have been used to track and profile them, and potentially present them with harmful or inappropriate content.

Information commissioner John Edwards said: "There are laws in place to make sure our children are as safe in the digital world as they are in the physical world. TikTok did not abide by those laws.

"As a consequence, an estimated one million under-13s were inappropriately granted access to the platform, with TikTok collecting and using their personal data.

"TikTok should have known better. TikTok should have done better. Our £12.7m fine reflects the serious impact their failures may have had."

It is one of the largest fines the ICO has issued.

A TikTok spokesperson told the BBC "our 40,000-strong safety team works around the clock to help keep the platform safe for our community".

"While we disagree with the ICO's decision, which relates to May 2018 - July 2020, we are pleased that the fine announced today has been reduced to under half the amount proposed last year. We will continue to review the decision and are considering next steps."

The watchdog had previously issued TikTok with a "notice of intent" - a precursor to handing down a potential fine - at the time saying TikTok could face a £27m fine for these breaches.

Prof Sonia Livingstone, who researches children's digital rights and experiences at the London School of Economics and Political Science, told the BBC it was "great the ICO is taking action", but feared the fine amount could be "shrugged off as the cost of doing business"."Let's hope TikTok reviews its practices thoroughly and make sure that it respects children's privacy and safety proactively in the future," she said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-65175902

Lahore police on Sunday arrested six young individuals, including a girl, for one-wheeling on their motorbikes while making TikTok videos in the city.

According to Express News, Shadbagh police acted after a video of the girl one-wheeling on a motorbike went viral on social media. The police apprehended the group of bikers found to be performing risky stunts during their one-wheeling endeavours.

The suspects, identified as Huma, Majid, Waqas, Roman, Azan, and Haris, were using Lahore's roads, including the Ring Road, for their stunts. During the one-wheeling, Huma sat on the backseat of the motorcycle to participate in the dangerous stunts.

Following the arrest, police lodged a case against the suspects and seized their motorcycles.

Shabaz Ali is a chemistry teacher by day but in his spare time he's a viral TikTok star.

His satirical clips call out other influencers for the way they flaunt their money and success.

Sponsored link
His videos mocking influencers' designer bottled water, fridge restocks and extensive flavoured ice cube selections have racked up millions of views.

He also has some very popular "reaction videos" - including the famous one about Roy's sister Sheree (an American's mispronunciation of "Worcestershire", for the uninitiated).

He sat down with Sky News' Kimberley Leonard to talk about his "because you're a povo" videos.

K: So how did it all start?

S: Honestly I was just in bed - it was the pandemic wasn't it, we were all in bed - I was in bed poking fun at things as I've always done and it just turned into this huge global thing.

https://news.sky.com/story/tiktok-s...-his-povo-videos-12854389?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

TikTok – a popular online video sharing social networking service – has removed over 12.68 million videos uploaded from Pakistan for violating community guidelines in Q4 2022.

This has been revealed in TikTok’s latest community guidelines enforcement report for Q4 2022.

The online short video service has released its latest community guidelines enforcement report for Q4 2022 (October-December 2022), “building on its commitment to a multi-pronged approach to stop misinformation on the platform”.

“The report reflects the platform’s ongoing commitment to earning trust by being accountable while working to be safe and welcoming,” it added.

In the fourth quarter of 2022, the total number of videos removed globally was more than 85.68 million.

This figure represents about 0.6% of all videos uploaded to TikTok.

Around 46.83 million videos were removed by automation, while 5.47 million were restored, as per the report.

Pakistan saw the removal of 12,628,267 videos for violating community guidelines in Q4 2022.

Pakistan has the second-largest highest volume of videos removed in the world.

In the first place is the US, where 13 million videos were taken down in Q4 2022.

TikTok had removed 14 million videos from Pakistan in the previous quarter, again the second highest around the globe.

In addition to removing accounts for violating community guidelines in Q4 2022, the platform also took down those determined to be spam, along with the content they had posted.

Montana has become the first US state to pass legislation banning TikTok on personal devices.

TikTok, which is owned by Chinese company ByteDance, has been accused of posing a national security risk through data gathered from users.

If signed into law by Governor Greg Gianforte, the ban could come into effect in January.

The company has suggested that it would take legal action to fight the Montana bill.

The bill, known as SB 419, passed by a vote of 54 to 43. It cites a number of concerns about TikTok, including alleged surveillance from the Chinese government.

BBC

TikTok influencer who live streamed her arrest to fans after being caught drinking in her car has admitted racially abusing a police officer.

Priya Sahi, who is known online as Queen Bee, was sitting in her Audi outside Asda in Swindon when she was spotted inebriated by police.

The 29-year-old was broadcasting live on TikTok to more than 100,000 followers as she was arrested for being drunk in charge of a motor vehicle.

After being removed from her car and handcuffed, she could be heard shouting at the officers: ‘I’ve got no keys in my ignition, no keys in my ignition.

‘I’m allowed to park up and drink. I’m not driving, so what are you arresting me for?’

An officer then pointed out numerous bottles of alcohol inside the vehicle to his colleague PC Marcin Kozak.

Sahi, of Swindon, told officers ‘I want my TikTok running’ before the stream ended.

She then repeatedly told PC Kozak, who originally joined Wiltshire Police in 2018 as the force’s first Polish community support officer, that she didn’t understand him.

In custody, she said to him: ‘Learn English, you European whatever you are.’

Her comments led her to be further arrested for a racially aggravated public order offence.

Sahi pleaded guilty to a Section 4A Public Order Act charge when appearing at Swindon Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...1&cvid=46d4a3ded5cf41b1ba987ac4c2dc83c2&ei=52

Fatwa declares TikTok 'haram', calls for ban over content concerns

The religious scholars at Jamia Binoria Town in Karachi have issued a fatwa denouncing the popular video-sharing platform TikTok, categorically declaring its use as "Haram" from a religious perspective.

The fatwa calls for a ban on the usage of the platform, citing concerns that TikTok is being exploited for financial gain through the proliferation of inappropriate content.

The religious decree emphasises that TikTok is predominantly used for engaging in illicit activities, such as sharing prohibited images, videos, and music, disseminating indecent content, and promoting inappropriate humor, among other violations.

The decree further notes that individuals of various age groups, including the youth and the elderly, engage in activities on TikTok to earn money, some of which may not align with strong moral values. It highlights the need to consider the potential negative impacts on individuals' behavior and ethical values.

Owned by China-based ByteDance and reporting over 39 million downloads in 2022 alone, according to data from Sensor Tower, a mobile and digital analytics firm, TikTok has faced recurring calls for bans in many parts of the world including Pakistan.

Earlier this year, a petition was filed in the Lahore High Court urging a ban on the TikTok application, citing concerns about its detrimental effects on the youth of society.

In 2021, the video-sharing app was banned for five months by the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority from July to November. The ban was lifted after TikTok provided assurances that the platform would better control indecent or immoral content.

Source: Express Tribune

TikTok can't be beneficial for any society, it's the cancer that is destroying the younger generation.

Fatwa declares TikTok 'haram', calls for ban over content concerns

The religious scholars at Jamia Binoria Town in Karachi have issued a fatwa denouncing the popular video-sharing platform TikTok, categorically declaring its use as "Haram" from a religious perspective.

The fatwa calls for a ban on the usage of the platform, citing concerns that TikTok is being exploited for financial gain through the proliferation of inappropriate content.

The religious decree emphasises that TikTok is predominantly used for engaging in illicit activities, such as sharing prohibited images, videos, and music, disseminating indecent content, and promoting inappropriate humor, among other violations.

The decree further notes that individuals of various age groups, including the youth and the elderly, engage in activities on TikTok to earn money, some of which may not align with strong moral values. It highlights the need to consider the potential negative impacts on individuals' behavior and ethical values.

Owned by China-based ByteDance and reporting over 39 million downloads in 2022 alone, according to data from Sensor Tower, a mobile and digital analytics firm, TikTok has faced recurring calls for bans in many parts of the world including Pakistan.

Earlier this year, a petition was filed in the Lahore High Court urging a ban on the TikTok application, citing concerns about its detrimental effects on the youth of society.

In 2021, the video-sharing app was banned for five months by the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority from July to November. The ban was lifted after TikTok provided assurances that the platform would better control indecent or immoral content.

Source: Express Tribune

Not a surprise, I'm sure they did label radio, television, youtube etc haram before. Instead of educating people on how to use it to their benefit. People, restaurants, small businesses, etc around the world have really earned good money by putting up good content or showcasing their items/food. I think there should be more encouragement of opening up cooking, fitness, tourism channels on it.

People are not thinking about the bigger picture. In countries like Pakistan, the government can't provide any form of employment to a lot of young people and they struggle.

Tiktok has provided a platform for people of different ages and talents to make money and express themselves.

I don't agree that Tiktok corrupts cultures etc. it's what you make of it. For example a sane and mature person, should know the difference between right and wrong.

how come by doing cringe activities anything could become beneficial?

There must be a reason why TikTok is banned in many countries.

If we shut down everything is not a benefit to society then 90% of stuff will be shut.

As the Pakistan parliamentary election approaches in February 2024, TikTok has shared its efforts to combat misinformation and uphold election integrity on its platform. The platform’s latest initiatives demonstrate its unwavering commitment to maintaining a safe, authentic, and reliable information environment during this important period.

Building on its robust global framework to combat misinformation, TikTok is collaborating with internationally recognized fact-checking organization Agence France-Presse (AFP) as its fact-checker to specifically address the Pakistani electoral context.

Additionally, TikTok is also working closely with local community partner orgnaizations in Pakistan to ensure platform integrity. These partnerships enable TikTok to identify potential misinformation, take action on it, and share accurate information with its community around important events. TikTok’s fact-checking partners do not moderate content on the platform, but their assessments provide valuable input which helps TikTok take the appropriate action that upholds its Community Guidelines.

TikTok’s strategy includes innovative product features aimed at enhancing user awareness and participation in maintaining platform integrity. TikTok has launched the Pakistan Election Center on the platform, which is a dedicated hub, available both in English and Urdu, that will direct users to authoritative information on the election, including voting procedures and locations. Additionally, easy-to-use reporting tools will empower users to easily identify and report potentially misleading content. This user-centric approach fosters a vigilant and responsible community, crucial during the election period.

Furthermore, TikTok is committed to raising awareness among its users, by providing educational content and in-app guides. These initiatives are designed to equip the community with the necessary skills to discern credible information, thereby reinforcing informed participation in the electoral process.

Enforcement of TikTok’s Community Guidelines, available both in English and Urdu, is a key component of its misinformation combat strategy. The platform employs a multi-pronged approach, including the removal of guideline-violating content, redirecting search results to authoritative sources, and reducing the discoverability of unverified information. This comprehensive approach ensures that the platform remains a safe space, free from harmful election-related misinformation.

Transparency and collaboration are at the core of TikTok’s efforts. By working closely with experts, safety advisory councils, and civil society organizations, TikTok enhances its policy framework and ensures the elevation of reliable information sources within the app. This collaborative ethos underscores TikTok’s commitment to being a responsible social media platform.

As the Pakistan General Election nears, TikTok is dedicated to ensuring that its platform remains a source of joy and creativity, while also being an authentic source of reliable and factual information. TikTok continues to support its community in Pakistan and globally, fostering a digital environment where authentic content thrives and misinformation is diligently combated.

Source: ARY

TikTok Inc. executives visited Israel and met with its president to address accusations that the social media giant was failing to clamp down on antisemitic and pro-Hamas content on its platform.

Israel’s President Isaac Herzog presented TikTok’s public policy heads for the Americas and Europe with research indicating the platform was slow to respond, according to a statement from the president’s residence on Tuesday.

“The representatives were deeply disturbed by the findings of the research and evidence presented during the meeting and pledged to continue working with the President’s Office and Israeli officials to do everything in their power to eradicate this phenomenon from the platform,” according to the statement referring to TikTok’s Theo Bertram and Michael Beckerman.

A TikTok spokesperson said in a statement that the executives had traveled to Israel to meet with company employees, and that they would meet with government ministers to discuss efforts to remove antisemitism from the platform.

Israel has been holding social networks to account for failing to stop antisemitic content from spreading on their platforms.

In November, the government hosted Elon Musk, the billionaire owner of X, after he came under fire for amplifying hate speech on the site.

Musk met with Israeli officials and toured the Kfar Aza kibbutz, where some of the worst violence occurred during the Hamas attacks on Oct. 7. Hamas has been designated a terrorist group by the US and European Union.

TikTok told Israeli officials that it had deleted 160 million fake accounts peddling disinformation since the war began in October, according to the statement.

The visit came after an Israeli TikTok worker quit the company last week over its response to the Israel-Hamas war, and Israel’s Diaspora Affairs Minister Amichai Chikli told reporters last week he believed TikTok’s algorithm actively promoted content hostile to Israel.

“We live in a time when our very existence as Jews and Israelis is under attack and in danger. In such an unstable time, people’s priorities are sharpened,” Barak Herscowitz, a former vertical lead, wrote on X in an announcement of his resignation.

TikTok has continued to face questions globally about influence on the popular social media platform, including the influence the Chinese government has on the company due to TikTok’s owner, Chinese tech company ByteDance Ltd. TikTok has said it doesn’t share data or alter content on behalf of the country.

Source: Al Arabiya

1710171455401.png

GT Voice: Washington’s plunder of TikTok will be fatal for its own companies

Under a new effort by the US to plunder TikTok, the debate over banning the short video-sharing app is getting contentious and attracting widespread attention. The pressure imposed by Washington on TikTok, ostensibly for national security reasons, actually has complicated implications in many areas such as international trade, technological competition and cultural dissemination, which may boomerang on US politicians.

Chinese technology firm ByteDance, TikTok's parent company, denied on Sunday media reports that its founder Zhang Yiming had been approached by the former CEO of Activision Blizzard about a potential deal to acquire TikTok, stressing that Zhang has held no such talks with anyone.

ByteDance's statement comes as TikTok again faces significant pressure from a US crackdown. The US House of Representatives is set to fast-track a vote this week on legislation that would give ByteDance six months to divest from TikTok or face a US ban, Reuters reported. Last week, the Energy and Commerce Committee voted 50-0 to pass the bill.

Even the unprecedented political resistance cannot cover up the fact that TikTok has been successful in the US market, boasting about 170 million American users and overcoming challenges from various political reviews and criticism. Against this backdrop, ByteDance's timely response to malicious and unfounded rumors suggests that the company is actively responding to the political storm.

Thus, keeping the public informed of the latest developments to gain user support may be one of the few efforts TikTok can make to save itself at the moment. Greater information transparency is essential to eliminate doubts over political pressure and stabilize market confidence, especially at a time when the direction of the whole issue remains uncertain.

The bill, which would force ByteDance to sell off TikTok or face a ban, is based on the political excuse that the app poses a threat to US national security. But the US government has so far offered no evidence in this regard, and US politicians, while expressing their hostility toward the app, are actually using it to reach young voters to help with their campaigns, which lays bare their double standards and hypocrisy.

Any attempt to steal a successful and highly profitable business from a foreign company is hooliganism. TikTok's success and its ties with its Chinese parent don't in any way justify forced divestment. If such a thing were to happen and administrative power could be used to deprive a foreign company of its American businesses, it would set a dangerous precedent for global investment. If the US deems a country as a foreign adversary, then any company based in that country could be considered a "national security threat" at any time in the US and lose its business.

Such a "rule" or precedent would undoubtedly undermine the global economic and trade system, increasing mistrust and tension in the world economy.

In the case of TikTok, if the US passed a bill to identify China as a foreign adversary and forced a divestment, the consequences would be so grave that the US plunder could eventually turn into another boomerang that hurts US businesses worldwide. It is not just China, but countries around the world, that can be targeted if they consider a business as a "national security threat," and there is no need to even bother to find some evidence.

It is important to note that China has laws governing Chinese high-tech companies' sales of shares to foreign ones. It is not a case where the US has the final say.

The uncertainties surrounding TikTok's fate underscore the competition over the digital sector between China and the US. If anything, the US pressure on TikTok is another example of Washington's misguided attempt to maintain hegemony in the internet sphere, but it further confirms its anxiety about its decline in competitiveness.

Behind TikTok stands China's strong manufacturing sector, leading internet technology and the world's fastest logistics industry. The predatory targeting of TikTok will inevitably and seriously affect the development of American companies in the global market, including the Chinese market.

The era of using illegal means to plunder other countries' wealth is over and China would not allow the US to rob its companies in an open way. Washington's insistence on doing so will only lead to a fatal impact on American manufacturing.

View attachment 142685

GT Voice: Washington’s plunder of TikTok will be fatal for its own companies

Under a new effort by the US to plunder TikTok, the debate over banning the short video-sharing app is getting contentious and attracting widespread attention. The pressure imposed by Washington on TikTok, ostensibly for national security reasons, actually has complicated implications in many areas such as international trade, technological competition and cultural dissemination, which may boomerang on US politicians.

Chinese technology firm ByteDance, TikTok's parent company, denied on Sunday media reports that its founder Zhang Yiming had been approached by the former CEO of Activision Blizzard about a potential deal to acquire TikTok, stressing that Zhang has held no such talks with anyone.

ByteDance's statement comes as TikTok again faces significant pressure from a US crackdown. The US House of Representatives is set to fast-track a vote this week on legislation that would give ByteDance six months to divest from TikTok or face a US ban, Reuters reported. Last week, the Energy and Commerce Committee voted 50-0 to pass the bill.

Even the unprecedented political resistance cannot cover up the fact that TikTok has been successful in the US market, boasting about 170 million American users and overcoming challenges from various political reviews and criticism. Against this backdrop, ByteDance's timely response to malicious and unfounded rumors suggests that the company is actively responding to the political storm.

Thus, keeping the public informed of the latest developments to gain user support may be one of the few efforts TikTok can make to save itself at the moment. Greater information transparency is essential to eliminate doubts over political pressure and stabilize market confidence, especially at a time when the direction of the whole issue remains uncertain.

The bill, which would force ByteDance to sell off TikTok or face a ban, is based on the political excuse that the app poses a threat to US national security. But the US government has so far offered no evidence in this regard, and US politicians, while expressing their hostility toward the app, are actually using it to reach young voters to help with their campaigns, which lays bare their double standards and hypocrisy.

Any attempt to steal a successful and highly profitable business from a foreign company is hooliganism. TikTok's success and its ties with its Chinese parent don't in any way justify forced divestment. If such a thing were to happen and administrative power could be used to deprive a foreign company of its American businesses, it would set a dangerous precedent for global investment. If the US deems a country as a foreign adversary, then any company based in that country could be considered a "national security threat" at any time in the US and lose its business.

Such a "rule" or precedent would undoubtedly undermine the global economic and trade system, increasing mistrust and tension in the world economy.

In the case of TikTok, if the US passed a bill to identify China as a foreign adversary and forced a divestment, the consequences would be so grave that the US plunder could eventually turn into another boomerang that hurts US businesses worldwide. It is not just China, but countries around the world, that can be targeted if they consider a business as a "national security threat," and there is no need to even bother to find some evidence.

It is important to note that China has laws governing Chinese high-tech companies' sales of shares to foreign ones. It is not a case where the US has the final say.

The uncertainties surrounding TikTok's fate underscore the competition over the digital sector between China and the US. If anything, the US pressure on TikTok is another example of Washington's misguided attempt to maintain hegemony in the internet sphere, but it further confirms its anxiety about its decline in competitiveness.

Behind TikTok stands China's strong manufacturing sector, leading internet technology and the world's fastest logistics industry. The predatory targeting of TikTok will inevitably and seriously affect the development of American companies in the global market, including the Chinese market.

The era of using illegal means to plunder other countries' wealth is over and China would not allow the US to rob its companies in an open way. Washington's insistence on doing so will only lead to a fatal impact on American manufacturing.

Lol big words from China’s mouthpiece they think every country does that to its tech companies what Chinese party did to theirs.

GT voice is like an oxymoron.

Former US President Donald Trump has criticised a congressional bill to force TikTok's parent company to sell the app or see it banned in the US.

Mr Trump, who attempted to ban TikTok in 2020 while in the White House, said the proposal would give unfair advantages to Facebook owner Meta.

Lawmakers are debating a measure that would force TikTok parent company ByteDance to sell it by 30 September.

President Joe Biden has said he will sign the bill if it passes.

"Without TikTok, you can make Facebook bigger, and I consider Facebook to be an enemy of the people," Mr Trump told NBC on Monday.

Asked about app's security, the Republican presidential candidate said "there's a lot of good and there's a lot of bad" with the social media platform.

"There are a lot of people on TikTok that love it. There are a lot of young kids on TikTok who will go crazy without it," Mr Trump added.

He said he agreed with those who see TikTok as a national security threat, but argued that Facebook was also a threat to the US government.

BBC

House passes TikTok crackdown that could ban app in U.S.

The House overwhelmingly passed a measure Wednesday to force TikTok to split from its parent company or face a national ban, a lightning offensive that materialized abruptly after years of unsuccessful negotiations over the platform’s fate.

The legislation, approved 352 to 65 with 1 voting present, is a sweeping bipartisan rebuke of the popular video-sharing app — and an attempt to grapple with allegations that its China-based parent, ByteDance, presents national security risks. The House effort gained momentum last week after President Biden said he would sign the bill if Congress passed it.

But its fate now rests in the Senate, where some lawmakers have expressed concern it may run afoul of the Constitution by infringing on millions of Americans’ rights to free expression and by explicitly targeting a business operating in the United States.

The Washington Post

I dont watch tiktok but definitely the copied version of meta reels are so much more interesting than majority TV shows nowadays, love the cat and dog vids.

I know people who sell on there so can’t be a complete waste

China has attacked a bill going through Congress that could ultimately see TikTok banned in the US, accusing it of "unjustly" behaving like a "bandit".

The bill passed by the House of Representatives would give TikTok's parent company six months to divest from the firm or face a ban on the app.

It still faces an uphill battle in the Senate but President Joe Biden says he will sign it if it passes Congress.

Beijing has vowed to take" necessary measures" to protect its interests.

TikTok is owned by Chinese company ByteDance, a Beijing-based firm registered in the Cayman Islands,

US lawmakers have expressed concern about the app, saying the data of Americans potentially in Chinese hands makes it a national security risk. TikTok's owners have rejected those accusations.

In a rare show of bipartisanship on Wednesday, the House voted overwhelmingly to pass the bill, with 352 representatives voting in favour of the proposed law and 65 against.

At a news conference in Beijing on Thursday, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said the vote on the bill "runs contrary to the principles of fair competition and justice".

The approach is one that has irked US lawmakers. One of the bill's co-sponsors, Texas Republican Chip Roy, told the BBC in an interview that he believes TikTok "shot itself in the foot" with the lobbying effort.

"[That is] demonstrating that they want to use the power of their technology to persuade people and inform them through their viewpoint," he said, adding that the effort amounted to "the propaganda angle that we're seeing out of TikTok."

TikTok is banned in China along with other social media platforms.

Instead, Chinese users use a similar app, Douyin, which is only available in China and subject to monitoring and censorship by the government.

"When someone sees a good thing another person has and tries to take it for themselves, this is entirely the logic of a bandit," Mr Wang added.

Another Chinese official, commerce ministry spokesperson, He Yadong, said that China would "take all necessary measures to safeguard its legitimate rights and interests".

It is unclear whether the bill has enough support in the Senate to pass. Republican Donald Trump has said he is now opposed, having previously backed a ban.

After its passage in the House, TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew said that the bill would take "billions of dollars out of the pockets of creators and small businesses".

"It will also put more than 300,000 American jobs at risk and it will take away your TikTok," Mr Chew said in a video posted on TikTok and on X, formerly known as Twitter.

On Wednesday, several TikTok "creators" told the BBC they feared for their livelihood and businesses if the bill becomes a law.

"I buy items from small businesses and showcase them on my platform - I enhance them," said Ophelia Nichols, an Alabama-based creator with more than 12m followers on the platform. "It's the small businesses that will suffer...you have to worry about that."

TikTok's Mr Chew also urged its users to speak out against the vote and contact their lawmakers - an effort that has already seen the offices of some members of Congress inundated with calls from angry constituents.

China's making a weird argument. They currently ban Facebook, Youtube, Instagram. The States isn't even banning Tiktok. Just saying sell or leave the US market. It's tough to understand their argument.

TikTok ban: China attacks 'bandit logic' of House vote

China has attacked a bill going through Congress that could ultimately see TikTok banned in the US, accusing it of "unjustly" behaving like a "bandit".

The bill passed by the House of Representatives would give TikTok's parent company six months to divest from the firm or face a ban on the app.

It still faces an uphill battle in the Senate but President Joe Biden says he will sign it if it passes Congress.

Beijing has vowed to take" necessary measures" to protect its interests.

TikTok is owned by Chinese company ByteDance, a Beijing-based firm registered in the Cayman Islands.

China's making a weird argument. They currently ban Facebook, Youtube, Instagram. The States isn't even banning Tiktok. Just saying sell or leave the US market. It's tough to understand their argument.
Came to type that here lol.

Tiktok is needed in a way to give competition to Meta who were slacking and now are regenerated.

Banning it would be a stupid idea.

so iqrar ul hassan just exposed that it was the PTI government that tried to cover the mina e paksitan harrasment by going after iqrar and claiming he was insulting Pakistan.

PTI used their social media cells to do this.

Back