Islamabad United (163/8) secure a thrilling victory against Multan Sultans (159/9) by two wickets to claim the PSL 9 championship title

Which side will win the final of PSL 9?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1710680700441.png

1710680716139.png

Karachi’s National Bank Stadium is set to host the HBL PSL 9 final on 18 March 2024, wherein table-toppers Multan Sultans will meet Islamabad United to battle it out for the grand Orion trophy. The first ball is expected to be bowled at 9pm, while the toss will take place at 8:30pm.

Sultans, who qualified for the final after beating Peshawar Zalmi in the Qualifier, will be playing their fourth consecutive final. They were crowned champions in the 2021 edition and finished as runners-up in the subsequent two editions wherein Lahore Qalandars clinched two back-to-back titles.

After finishing third on the table, United beat Quetta Gladiators and Peshawar Zalmi in the two eliminators to earn the coveted berth in the final. This will be two-time champions United’s first final since 2018 – when they last won the HBL PSL title.

In the lead-up to the playoffs, Multan Sultans secured 14 points after winning seven out of their ten games. United finished with five wins, whereas their home game against Lahore Qalandars was washed out. As a result, United had 11 points, equaling with the fourth-placed Quetta Gladiators.

Multan’s Mohammad Rizwan and Usman Khan are the second and third highest run-getters of the tournament thus far, only behind Peshawar Zalmi’s Babar Azam who ended HBL PSL 9 with 569 runs in 11 innings, including five half-centuries and one century.

Rizwan has accumulated 382 runs in as many innings, with four half-centuries. Usman, having appeared in only six games, has made 373 runs on the back of two centuries and a half-century.

Colin Munro, with 309 runs from nine games with three fifties, is the highest run-getter for Islamabad United. Islamabad’s skipper Shadab Khan has also starred with the bat and ball alike this season; in 11 games, he has produced 301 runs, including three half-centuries, and taken 11 wickets.

Leader of the Sultans’ spin attack, Usama Mir, is the current leading wicket-taker of the tournament, holding the Inverex Fazal Mahmood Cap. He has 23 scalps in 11 games, including one six-wicket haul. His current tally of 23 is the best by any spinner in one edition of HBL PSL and is only two wickets behind Hasan Ali’s record of 25 wickets, the most by any bowler in one edition, which has not been bested since 2019.

Sultans’ right-arm pacer Mohammad Ali, playing his maiden HBL PSL tournament, has 18 wickets in 11 games, the most by any pacer in the tournament thus far.

Naseem Shah, who made his move to Islamabad United ahead of HBL PSL 9, has the most wickets for his team thus far. Assuming his role as the leader of Islamabad’s bowling attack, the right-arm seamer has grabbed 15 wickets in 10 games.

Shadab Khan: “I’m proud of my team for standing tall in crucial situations and getting through to the final of HBL PSL after a long hiatus of five years. This is what we intended while assembling the squad and all the players have responded very well throughout the group stage as well as the playoffs. Islamabad winning the trophy for the third time will be a great achievement and I’m looking forward to whatever challenge Multan Sultans will pose in the final. Hopefully, our batters and bowlers will step up in a spirited manner as they have done throughout the season and will make us champions.”

Mohammad Rizwan: “I am very proud of the way my team has played in this tournament. Our boys have displayed the true warrior spirit throughout the tournament. Whenever we found ourselves behind the opposition, our players stepped up through their bold and fearless approach.

“We have a solid team that has all the bases covered. Our locals, foreigners and emerging players have shone and produced some extraordinary performances. What further helps us is the fact that our team has gelled really well in the last four weeks.

“For tomorrow, we need to stick to our process. I am sure if our execution is perfect, the people of Multan and south Punjab will get a favourable result. InshaAllah!”

Which side will lift the trophy of PSL 9?

=================================================

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Whenever Islamabad United have played the final, they’ve come out as champions. On the other hand, Multan Sultans will be playing their 4th final in a row.

The way Islamabad started playing in knockouts its very difficult for Multan to get hold of them now.

This PSL trophy belongs to Islamabad for sure!

Why on earth have the final on Monday.
Probably because it would have been unfair for the players playing eliminator 2 to play a high pressure game the day after.

But from a money perspective it doesn't make sense since you want people to attend, and most people have jobs and need to go to work.

ISLU vs MS in the final, just as I had predicted when these teams first faced off

Situation works both ways for Islamabad whether they bat or bowl first

But they need to be careful on who they pick if Hunain isn’t needed

I'm a little torn this time time around. Not sure who I should pick to win. ISLU has always been my team due to Misbah being with them in the early seasons. And Shadab is one of my favourite players.

However they're facing Riz and I just don't see them getting past him. He's due a big game

It will take a massive effort from Islamabad to get through this well-oiled Multan team.

Rizwan has better bowling resources than Babar did, and he is a smarter captain who won’t make the same mistakes Babar made.

Tullaybaaz like Haider and Azam will be found out quite easily, and Islamabad’s top-order has gone missing more often than not.

And if Rizwan wins today then Rana may never watch the PSL again.
Tbf, I think it's more so if rizwan performs and not if MS win altogether.

But basically their a few outcomes that may happen.

A) Both rizwan and Imad perform but one of the team wins, in which case they'll be a war but not a severe war as both sides performed.

B) Neither perform but one team wins, in which case its the same scenario as the first one. A war but nothing severe.

C) Imad performs and wins it and rizwan fails, in which case imad thread has a volcano eruption.

D) Rizwan performs and wins it, in which case rizwan threads force Amazon Web services to get overloaded and 70% of the Internet shuts down overnight.

E) Imad doesn't perform or rizwan doesn't perform but their team still wins it, in which case the outcome is still the same as A and B.

Either way as long as C and D don't occur, PP is same from eruption.

Isb always find a way to win. In the last match Haider Ali and Imad played blinders, Imad has the experience so that is not a big surprise but to see Haider make a fifty under preassure was surprising ( I actually did not watch the match, but you know what I mean).

Naseem v Usman Khan could potentially be a decisive battle.

In an interview with a local sports channel, Rizwan highlighted the underdog status his team had at the beginning of the tournament:

"If you look from the beginning, nobody rated our team so highly. Even when I look at my own prediction, I felt Islamabad or Quetta would be the best teams because of Hasaranga as well. But the way our team has performed on the spot. Where the batters were needed, they delivered, where the bowlers were needed, they delivered. Even the new boys who have joined us, they have performed in such a way that Multan has started to become everyone's favorite."

"Islamabad's team has been strong from the beginning. But I believe that the performance on the day of the match matters more. Whatever happened in the past is good for confidence. But you have to perform every day."

y1odMH5.jpeg

KCzQEjU.jpeg

xu9Orxu.jpeg

FUilEBN.jpeg

Captain Riz or Shady who would be the lucky captain today?

The weather conditions in Karachi for the high-stakes final of PSL 2024 are anticipated to be optimal for gameplay, boasting a clear sky with no chance of rain and a temperature of 34 degrees Celsius. The wind speed is projected to be around 19 km/hr, while humidity levels are expected to linger at 19%, crafting an ideal ambience for a fiercely competitive match. With such favourable conditions, the match is poised to proceed seamlessly without any interruptions.

Guys, who do you think will be the star batter and bowler tonight?

I think Shadab will shine with the bat and David Willey will excel with the ball.

Ngl, I don't mind if MS wins, mainly because if Rizwan is going to be captain, then a win will atleast send the dug out a strong message and give the team confidence.

Just no more attacking imad left and right and troll responses. May both teams and players play their heart out and I am looking forward to one hell of a game.

While speaking to local media, Multan Sultans head coach Abdul Rehman said:

"We are aware of Islamabad United's strengths and weaknesses, so our plan is ready according to it."

"The use of data helps a lot in coaching. In normal coaching, one can predict the opponent, but with data, one gets a clearer picture of it."

"Sometimes the conditions may differ from the data, so it is not reliant on it every time, but the role of data is very important in today's cricket."

"The role of the captain is the most important in the team's success because he is the one who leads the team on the ground. Rizwan has been a fantastic captain consistently for four years."

"In T20, the situation changes quickly, and making the right decision at the right time is crucial. When aiming to win the trophy, you don't consider which team is in front."

I want Rizwan's team to win so that his case for getting the captaincy of Pakistan becomes stronger.

Watching the pavillion show misbah azhar talking about aggressive cricket professor Hafeez talking about strike rate god give me strength!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Big game today, not just in the context of the PSL but Pakistan cricket as a whole

Even though I dislike Shadab both as a cricketer and a leader, I will be rooting for Islamabad. Not just because they have two of my favourite cricketers in the form of Imad and Azam but also because a Multan win will solidify Rizwan as the captain for Pakistan in at least the next year and a bit

This cannot be allowed in any way shape or form. Pakistan cricket is on its death already and Rizwan being promoted to captain will only be taking away any life support we have left

Rooting for both teams however Rooting for IU more because of their aggressive dashing from the go philosophy. Hales is due a big knock.

Pitch dimensions: 73 meters to square leg, 80 meters down the ground, and 63 meters towards point.

Waqar Younis, in the pitch report, says it's been rolled quite nicely and looks compact and hard. Urooj Mumtaz adds that there is sheen on the surface so it's going to come onto the bat nicely. Waqar feels Usama Mir could be a handful and adds that hitting the seam right will assist the pacers on this wicket

Playing XIs of the two teams for PSL Final

One change for Islamabad United: Alex Hales out

Multan Sultans are unchanged

20240318_202814.jpg

There is a slight delay in toss. Looks like Obed McCoy is undergoing a fitness test

Let's make it a memorable final, Rizwan and Shadab have high stakes in it keeping in view their international careers

Toss Update:

Multan Sultans have won the toss and have elected to bat first

Big game today, not just in the context of the PSL but Pakistan cricket as a whole

Even though I dislike Shadab both as a cricketer and a leader, I will be rooting for Islamabad. Not just because they have two of my favourite cricketers in the form of Imad and Azam but also because a Multan win will solidify Rizwan as the captain for Pakistan in at least the next year and a bit

This cannot be allowed in any way shape or form. Pakistan cricket is on its death already and Rizwan being promoted to captain will only be taking away any life support we have left
You don't support Pakistan anyway so why care?

Pre game prediction:
Rizwan 10 (12)
Iftikhar 5 (11)
Imad- 4/20
MS:148/9

Munro: 50 (40)
Azam: 20 (9)
Imad: 19 (8)
IU to win by 5 wickets

Never a fan of Naseem taking first over in this Islamabad side. He should bowl the 2nd and 4th over when the opposition start attacking

Playing XIs of the two teams for PSL Final

One change for Islamabad United: Colin Munro replaces Alex Hales

Multan Sultans are unchanged
Alert!!!!!

Tymal Mills has replaced Obed McCoy at the last minute. Obed wasn't 100% and apparently didn't pass the pre-match fitness test

Never a fan of Naseem taking first over in this Islamabad side. He should bowl the 2nd and 4th over when the opposition start attacking

I was about to say. I'm surprised Imad isn't opening with the ball.

That shot by Rizwan was probably the worst shot played in this PSL.

What was he thinking?

2nd wicket partnership

This is where Multan are strong

Superb response from Imad after being hit for a boundary in his first delivery

That shot by Rizwan was probably the worst shot played in this PSL.

What was he thinking?

Wants to dominate from the start. I dont mind that intent, tbh as the ball wasnt swinging. This looks like a 180 pitch

Back