Islamabad United PSL 7 Discussion

HBL PSL 7 player update: Islamabad United have drafted in Nasir Nawaz, who was a reserve player in the managed event environment, as a temporary replacement for Alex Hales for the next two games.

I think that's a good pick in Nasir Nawaz should be opening with Hurraira.

Injuries galore and in a spot of bother regarding qualification - could be a shoot out between them and QG for the 4th spot.

Looking like the worst team at the moment with all the injuries and departures.

Next year, there should be a clause regarding bubble fatigue and stuff.

Injuries galore and in a spot of bother regarding qualification - could be a shoot out between them and QG for the 4th spot.

Even though the unavailability of the players has reduced IU team to a club level team, but QG and KK rightly booted out because of them shooting repeatedly in the foot. And I am expecting QG to be doing the same next year too.

Even though the unavailability of the players has reduced IU team to a club level team, but QG and KK rightly booted out because of them shooting repeatedly in the foot. And I am expecting QG to be doing the same next year too.

They haven’t been the same since Umar Akmal was unavailable for 2 years and now coming back was only seen towards the end batting in the wrong position when he should’ve been opening or number 3 they missed Umars services.

:ua_smile

Islamabad have managed to sneak through but they’ll need their injured players to return to have any chance of winning this year.

They haven’t been the same since Umar Akmal was unavailable for 2 years and now coming back was only seen towards the end batting in the wrong position when he should’ve been opening or number 3 they missed Umars services.

:ua_smile

Not really. They miss Shane Watson, Rilee Rossouw, KP, Russell and Narine more than Umar Akmal.

Hales heading home has been a massive blow to them as they will have been banking on him playing the whole tournament.

Also the form of Hassan Ali has been poor. Mohammad Wasim jr has been hit and miss and injuries have hit them hard.

Need to raise their game if they are to win PSL7.

Injuries have hit IU very hard. The likes of Asif and Azam aren't capable of leading a batting lineup. Once the batting lost its flare, the bowling is incredibly weak with an out of form Hassan.

I am not happy with the PCB remitting 70% of the players fees into the players accounts before the start of the tournament. Even the IPL is not this generous.

It should be 25% prior to the start of the season, 25% during the middle of the season and the remaining 50% after the end of the tournament. This will keep the foreign players on their toes

IU are a completely different team without their first choice foreign contingent (Stirling, Hales, Munro) and Shadab. On top of that Hassan Ali and Wasim Jr have been awful.

What I like the most about this Islamabad team under Shadab is that they play T20 cricket the way it is supposed to be played: they go for their shots right from the first ball and don't change their game, even if they're losing wickets in cluster. Now, this may not be the most ideal approach, and may even end up costing them in one of the big games, but I really appreciate this style of cricket in league cricket. They remind me of how England play at the international level.....

You heard it here, folks, close to 25 days ago. The absolute lack of the application of brains cost Islamabad a place in the final, but I'm not complaining at a personal level, though, as I had a cracking time watching them play. I'm not a part of their management, however, luckily.

Threw the game multiple times.

Had bowled so well until they leaked 27 runs off the final over, which proved to be the difference.

When batting, they threw away wickets early, then rebuilt with Hales and Azam. They were both set in their 30s with 44 needed from 39, then threw it away with a run out.

Then they recovered to make it 10 needed from 10, at which point Asif royally bottled it with a terrible terrible shot.

It was too tough a task after that, even without Wasim Jr totally losing the plot in the last over with the bat.

Great bowling by Lahore, but can't help but feel ISLU choked it at many points.

Given the talent they had in the squad, its incredible to think they lost 7 games in this PSL.

The problem with the Islamabad franchise is that, they dont learn from their mistakes.

Up until Misbah was captaining this franchise, they won 2 out of 3 seasons just at the start. The best thing under Misbah was, once they realized their mistakes they would rectify it. In the first season they were bad in finishing games and thus they bough in andre russel. In the second innings, they lost few gem players, they bough in Haddin and Luke Ronchi. They took advantage of their 2nd season last place to grab the good players from the draft.

After that, when Shadab got the reigns from Rumman and Sami, he hasn't been able to emulate what Misbah has done. Funny thing is, even now, with Misbah not being associated with IU for 2 seasons, this team still plays the players that Misbah had chosen. Asif Ali, Waseem Jr, Shadab, Waqas Maqsood, and Faheem Ashraf are all the players that Misbah had chosen but in the past. You need to create your own team with the time being or as you move forward.

IU had a bad 5th season, that gave IU the first draft pick. In the 2021 PSL draft, Rashid Khan was the star player in the draft and for every team he was the guy to be picked. IU had first pick and LQ had second pick. Guess what Shadab did? Because Shadab is friends with Hasan Ali, he asked him to leave PZ and throw himself in the draft and IU would take him first, and thats what he did.

Shadab Khan convinced his franchise to pick Hasan Ali over Rashid Khan, Lahore than pounced on Rashid Khan. Wahab Riaz says he was angry and unhappy with Hassan Ali as there he would had done much better but maybe he felt in secure cause of him. He said that for national selection he (wahab) was never a threat or competitor for him. Hasan Ali could had learned much more under PZ.

So this is the thinking of Shadab Khan when it comes to drafting. He needs to start picking his own players now and not rely on Misbah's players. His selection should also be based on merit and not friendship.

Rehan ul haq and Hassan Cheema are very good with the approach of selecting foreign upper order batsmen as they perform better in PP as they are not playing for National selection compared to local players who play under pressure. But one thing I have learned is that foreign players are unpredictable. They can leave any time especially under covid.

Now the important thing is to learn from your mistakes. This franchise doesn't learn from its mistakes. In season 5, they lost because their main batsmen left. In season 6 they lost because their bowling were all pacers with no other spinner except for Shadab Khan and the pacers were those who were getting hit left and right.

Coming into season 7 you believe they will work on their mistakes, but they do not. Foreign players left, the batting got exposed. The bowling was the same with Hasan Ali, Faheem Ashraf and Waseem jr getting smacked. No quality spinner was selected and no other pacer was selected that could bowl in place of hasan ali and waseem jr.

If they really want to win another PSL, than its time to learn from mistakes. Instead of letting players go and doing gambles in the draft, time to do trade. Give out Hasan Ali or Waseem jr and geting some quality in return. Strategies the bowling where two spinners can be played not just one. Have a few 2-3 good local batter and for gods sake dont just fill your line up with boundary hitting batsmen. You also need Rizwan or Babar type batsmen in the team aswell.

Islamabad won 2 titles because Misbah was there when the boundaries weren't required. Yesterday malik batted it out and than started it smashing the ball. Today Hafeez also did the same where he batted it out, yes he got out but Wiese covered for him.

Shadab as a captain has been good, but he makes alot of mistakes. He dosent learn from the mistakes he makes and the franchise also is not learning.

Islamabad is becoming another Peshawar Zalmi. Both teams play cricket to just reach the play offs. But in play offs I have seen only that team enters the final and wins it that is actually a quality side. You cant win PSL play offs on flukes. Isb of season 1 and 3 have shown this, Multan of season 6 showed us this, and now Lahore of season 7 is showing us this along with Multan again.

If the team isn't fixed up, than we will keep on watching play off runs where they will end up bottling it up. Maybe bring back Misbah in the team management capacity. If you are gonna play 50% of his players than atleast bring him back to bring you new players.

So long Islamabad, another season ends with a heartbreak. Its been now 4 years since winning a PSL trophy. Each year when our trophy run ends we fans depart saying next year would hopefully be our year. Until than I will wait.

I also apologies to the franchise for doubting there move to bring Azam Khan for Ifitkhar Ahmad. I was proven wrong, and Azam khan has proven to be a very good and talented batsmen for the franchise. Not a good keeper however and that is a concern.

I love this team due to the brand of cricket it plays, its fighting till the end spirit which is similar to the Australian culture, plus this team was the one that placed its trust on Misbah ul Haq who build this team for the franchise.

So long Islamabad, you gave us 4 weeks of entertainment. I will again wait another whole year for you and will again support you when Pakpassion makes an Islamabad United PSL 8 thread :')

Given the talent they had in the squad, its incredible to think they lost 7 games in this PSL.

They were relying heavily on 2 or 3 players - the rest were passengers and occasional performers.

Colin Munro was a massive loss.

He only played 3 matches and scored 165 runs at a strike rate of 141.

The strange thing is, if he wasn't fit why didn't they replace him.

I was Disappointed how they used thier emerging picks none of them had any impact at all.

Overall a very good season despite the poor bowling attack. It's time to move past Asif Ali. His brainless batting has now cost the team many games.

Back