"It is easy to give advice on TV. If you want to give me some advice, you can message me": Babar Azam

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Kolkata - Pakistan Captain Babar Azam pre-match press conference

1699610539801.png

[Reporter:]

Do you think the campaign is over or will we go after this big target? And when you look back, what is the defeat that has influenced the Pakistan campaign?

[Babar Azam:]

I think there is one match left. You never know. Its cricket - we will try to finish on a good note and then see.

I think the South African match cost us and we should have won that match, but unfortunately, we didn't win that because of which we are at this stage.

It's a difficult situation, but it’s said that we should have hope. How hopeful are you? What mistakes have you made in this tournament? Is it the ball or the fielding?

Look, there should be hope at all times. At any stage, at any work you do, you should have positive hope and I firmly believe in that.

You cannot say that it is the fault of bowling, fielding, or batting. As a team we could not execute. We cannot say that we got so many runs in bowling or lost runs in fielding. As a team we did not execute the plan or play as per the demand – that includes bowling, batting, and fielding.

We will try to learn from this, because the faster you learn from big events you know where you have made mistakes. I have seen that the margin of error is very low here. Because when you give even a little room to any team, they take the match from you. This is the specialty of World Cup. It's a high-intensity game. You have a match against every team, so they are high-intensity games. So, I think the whole team should learn from the mistakes.

Four years ago, the situation was similar to this. You needed 300+ against Bangladesh and today you need around 288. I get the impression from your talks that you haven't thought about the 200 margin or about the net run rate - that we might go for an all-out aggression. What will be Pakistan's strategy tomorrow? Do you think that you will play on ‘do or die’ strategy and try to post the first batting scoreboard that we can achieve it?

No, it’s not like that that this matter is not in the back of the mind. It's in our mind and we will try to do it. We will try to execute our plans and how we will go tomorrow and how we will achieve the target.

We can't just go in and start firing blindly – we want that but with proper planning, how we want to play the first 10 overs, then the next 20 – how we have to achieve that target.

There are a lot of things in this, like partnership, which player will stay in the pitch for how long. If you ask me, I would say if Fakhar is in the match for 20 or 30 overs, we can achieve that. Then follow up with Rizwan, Iftikhar. We can do this and we have planned for this.

The World Cup is still a match away. But, with regards to your captaincy, can't a cricketer like you play the role that Virat Kohli is playing in the Indian team? To prolong your career and focus more on cricket? Because sometimes it feels like this burden hurts your individual performance?

I have been captaining my team for the last three years and I have never felt this way.

It’s just because I have not performed the way I should have in the World Cup, that’s why people are saying that I am under pressure. I am under no pressure. I have been doing this for the last 2.5 or 3 years. I was the one who was performing and I was the one who was the captain. I was applying the same thing.

It depends how you take such thing. Everyone has their own point of view, their own way of thinking. Everyone is saying something different. He should be like this, or like that. If someone has to give me advice, everyone has my number. It is easy to give advice on TV. If you want to give me some advice, you can message me.

I don't think I was under any pressure or felt any different because of this. I try to give my best in the field during the fielding. During batting, I think about how I should make runs and make the team win.

The way the team has been performing, some decisions were being made in Lahore as well. Do you understand that some decisions were being made which affected the team's performance. And regarding the captaincy, will you make a decision regarding your captaincy or will the Pakistan cricket board have to make a decision?

I have no idea what decisions you are talking about. The decisions we make here, regarding selections of players - are the decision of the coaches and the captain. We go with the best combination of conditions and situations. Sometimes we have succeeded and sometimes we haven't.

About the captaincy – as I said, once we go back to Pakistan or after this match, we will see what happens. But right now, I am not focusing on this, my focus is on the next match.

From, let's say, 99 to now it's a long time, but there's been a slump in performance of Pakistan in World Cup. Now, does it point to a deeper problem in the country's cricket, or is it just some reason or the other you're not being able to do well in a major tournament. Because this has now continued for a long time. And for a team of Pakistan's ability, that does seem like a little bit of odd thing. Why do you think that's happening?

Do you think we have lost all World Cups since 1999? If you look in the T20 World Cup, we are playing in the Asia Cup [2022 final], we played in the semifinal, we played in the final in Australia [T20 World Cup 2022]. It not that we are not playing well in the World Cups, we are not able to finish well, we are executing, we are dominating. We have played good cricket and we have played positive cricket against different teams. But that doesn't mean that we haven't played good cricket since then. It's not like that.

Because we haven’t done well in this World Cup or the last World Cup, you can't say that we haven’t done well since 99, we have dominated and we were number one in one day. Yes, we are not able to finish well. We will work on that and finish well.

One thing from the Indian fans' perspective is - if they wanted any particular batsman of Pakistan to shine, it was you. Now, you haven't done badly, I mean, there's a 40-plus average and 282 runs. Personally, at a personal level, what would be an ideal situation for you, in terms of run getting or scoring as per the situation in finishing matches.

To be honest – first I got a lot of love from India, a lot of support. Not only me, the entire team. Of course, I was not able to get a good finish. My goal was to get a good finish in the batting. I didn't have a goal to score 50 or 100. The main thing was to make the win the team. The performance that helps the team, not my individual performance. I played slow, I played fast, depending on the situation. I play according to the situation and according to what my team need.

What is my plan? What is the team requiring from me? What am I requiring from the team? And we execute the plan accordingly. Sometimes you play slow and sometimes you play fast. Sometimes the conditions don't favour you to play fluently.

Sometimes you have to try and hang-in, fight it out and take the game deep. There are three phases here. You get runs with the new ball. When you come in the middle, you have to struggle a little. But it is not that you get these same things in every venue.

You get different situations in different venues.

We came here for the first time, we didn't have the awareness of how to take it, but we adapted as soon as possible in practice, that we will have to face it like this. So, we faced this thing, we took it and planned accordingly that how do we bat here.

Because as I said, in the middle and end you get runs. In the middle overs when the ball is old you struggle a bit – as a batsman.

That’s it, I wanted to give a good performance here, I had high expectations but I couldn’t perform as per expectations. I accept that.

But the finish, as you said, I try to have a good finish.

Body Language understandably not that great in this presser.

Same old transcript
Just accept that u failed and u became arrogant due to your fame. and think just because u are good batter u are in power to pick the team. and form a team of your freinds hopefully we get rid of him as a captain so he can just focus on playing as a batter

As a fan, one might argue that Babar Azam’s performance as a captain and a player in the World Cup was not up to the mark. Despite his optimism, the team’s inconsistent performance and inability to execute plans effectively raise questions about his leadership skills. His own performance was not like what everyone was expecting. However, we have to understand that cricket is a team sport and the responsibility of winning or losing doesn’t fall on a single individual. Babar’s openness to advice and willingness to learn from mistakes should be acknowledged. He might not be the captain after this world cup campaign ends for Pakistan.

Sorry to say but he is expert in giving misleading responses. He said defeat against SA cost the team semi final spot but that's not the only reason. As a captain & player he should accept his own failures against Netherlands, Sri Lanka, India, Australia & Bangladesh, and he himself played too slow against SA & Afghanistan. He is captaining since 3-4 years now and still there is no improvement in his Captaincy, he targets 270-280 in ODIs & 150-160 T20s and expects his mediocre bowling to win matches which is totally a negetive mindset.

This is what Jos Butler said after defeat against Australia. This his how a captain should accept failures not misleading like Babar

"I think my own form has been something that's probably the most frustrating thing," Buttler said after England's 33-run loss against Australia. "Obviously, I've had a pivotal position in the batting lineup, so to play as poorly as I have done has had a big effect on the team"

I really hope they go for it, and don’t just give up if fakhar was to go early. England should put Pak in to bat first if they win toss, Pak chasing a world record would also mean more chances are given. But I doubt that very much, I think both teams would bat first. Awaiting the toss tomorrow.

Its important that England wins tomorrow, because otherwise deluded fans will keep crying about the Shamsi lbw being the fine margin that eliminated the team.

Positive for me

No, it’s not like that that this matter is not in the back of the mind. It's in our mind and we will try to do it. We will try to execute our plans and how we will go tomorrow and how we will achieve the target.

We can't just go in and start firing blindly – we want that but with proper planning, how we want to play the first 10 overs, then the next 20 – how we have to achieve that target.

There are a lot of things in this, like partnership, which player will stay in the pitch for how long. If you ask me, I would say if Fakhar is in the match for 20 or 30 overs, we can achieve that. Then follow up with Rizwan, Iftikhar. We can do this and we have planned for this.

I have been doing this for the last 2.5 or 3 years. I was the one who was performing and I was the one who was the captain. I was applying the same thing.

Oh wow...is this some loose translation or did he actually say it word by word?

Always thought he's a level headed humble guy but looks like all the "Bobzy the king" , "number 1 batsman" , "better than Kohli" tamasha pre-Asia cup has ended up adding weight to his head.

I feel like if Pakistan win against England they will use the South Africa game as an excuse and Babar will say they did well and he will cling on.

It’s sad to say but I want them to lose to England now. A victory is pointless and could reduce the chance of change.

If we win against England

And finish 5th

I'm happy because that is the limit of the team we are not better than the teams that have finished Above us , so one has to be realistic in their expectations

Moving from this world cup the need that will need to be addressed is our bowling finding genuine pace replacements to partner with shaheen

And more importantly finding some proper spinners.

Our bowling has been the weakest point this world cup.

I feel like if Pakistan win against England they will use the South Africa game as an excuse and Babar will say they did well and he will cling on.

It’s sad to say but I want them to lose to England now. A victory is pointless and could reduce the chance of change.

Anything other than a miraculous qualification tomorrow, and it wouldn’t matter what excuses they put out. Changes will be made. One thing though, I would action these changes for the limited overs formats. And leave Babar as test captain, as the series vs Aussies is a couple of weeks away. Would be harsh making a new captain for what will likely be a whitewash. After that series they can announce a new test captain.

Gautam Gambhir was asked by presenter in post Afghan innings on the show by the presenter about Babar still showing optimism. His reply was :
"Well what do you want the Captain of the team to say. That we will not go for win. Even if there is 1% chance, you need to show optimism and will to win."

What’s the need to consult?

Is he trying to make a plea deal and getting one of his mates to captain instead?
Exactly needs to sacked from captaincy in all formats plus no place in LOI.

He should not continue as Captain for another minute after the WC. He has been that poor.

But I agree with his sentiment about people messaging him rather than being public. A lot of the time we just assume that someone who is playing international cricket should be mentally tough enough and not vulnerable. But this is so far from the truth. Those little personal touches when you are going through a tough period seem to make such a difference - if you listen to ex-cricketers reflecting on their careers, this is one consistent thing you always hear.

Man, just reading his (Babar) reply. He has 0 clue, really no idea. Always that same line, we will try, we will learn. I mean you playing INT cricket for your country, there is no time to learn. you have to deliver or go home.

Same old transcript
Just accept that u failed and u became arrogant due to your fame. and think just because u are good batter u are in power to pick the team. and form a team of your freinds hopefully we get rid of him as a captain so he can just focus on playing as a batter
He is not good, he is OK. Exposed big time during the ODI WC, even last T20 WC he was bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only in Pakistan a failure can continue for years.
Agreed, i want to add more to it.

Not a single one of them will try to spit out the truth, bunch of lairs and it's very common in pakistan. We lost our moral values and ethics. Everything is money now.

I sense a lot of delusion, desperation, stubbornness & arrogance. As many suspected he truly beleives they were worthy of "number 1" as was he himself. Probably the root cause of the downfall.

Oh wow...is this some loose translation or did he actually say it word by word?

Always thought he's a level headed humble guy but looks like all the "Bobzy the king" , "number 1 batsman" , "better than Kohli" tamasha pre-Asia cup has ended up adding weight to his head.
I believe you took his word out of context. Essentially, he conveyed that his captaincy didn't subject him to undue pressure and didn't compromise his performance while leading. In essence, he continued to excel in his role as a batter and as a leader. This is in contrast to Kohli, who had to step down from captaincy as it was evident that it was putting too much pressure on him.

May be it’ll be better (& easier) for everyone if Babar steps down from captaincy, may be in excuse of personal reason; otherwise at one point PCB will be forced to sack him.

I believe Arthur’s pay days are over from PCB - he had some great days, some not so great ones but every good/bad thing should come to end at one point. Next head coach should take PAK to CT25, better to WC 2027 - that’s 40+ months. Better PCB appoints a new captain and allow to be groomed by next coaching staffs.

For his own good, Babar should play as the main player of the team, focus on own batting and guide few younger players that will be introduced in next 1 year. He still has 10+ years left in PAK cricket - this is not working.

Feel for the guy, he appears to be a genuine humble and an introverted chap on whom greatness, expectations and leadership have been thrust upon. With the former two he will cope but doesnt seem to enjoy or be a natural at the last one.

As many posters have said it before, Babar seems to equivalent of SRT in leadership- not enjoying it and affecting what he's a exceptional at- batting.

Babr relinquish the captaincy, unburden your self and be the batsman you are destined to be and your nation wills you to be, your contemporary Joe Root did the same, and hes found his mojo back in test cricket.

I sense a lot of delusion, desperation, stubbornness & arrogance. As many suspected he truly beleives they were worthy of "number 1" as was he himself. Probably the root cause of the downfall.
Yep, he is a lost cause. Should be kept away from the team. Having such a ''senior'' will only make things worse. He has been badly exposed, yet he behaves like a victim.

Drop him for good.

Anything other than a miraculous qualification tomorrow, and it wouldn’t matter what excuses they put out. Changes will be made. One thing though, I would action these changes for the limited overs formats. And leave Babar as test captain, as the series vs Aussies is a couple of weeks away. Would be harsh making a new captain for what will likely be a whitewash. After that series they can announce a new test captain.
Better cancel the whole AUS tour, that will be a bigger disaster then this.We cant even win Tests against SENA at home, imagine what will happen there.

Out former kaptaan too said the same thing some time back.

"People speak so much in public, but many people have my number, and (except Dhoni) no one messaged me."

He should not continue as Captain for another minute after the WC. He has been that poor.

But I agree with his sentiment about people messaging him rather than being public. A lot of the time we just assume that someone who is playing international cricket should be mentally tough enough and not vulnerable. But this is so far from the truth. Those little personal touches when you are going through a tough period seem to make such a difference - if you listen to ex-cricketers reflecting on their careers, this is one consistent thing you always hear.
LOL, he ignored advise to take proper spinners with him.

Yep, he is a lost cause. Should be kept away from the team. Having such a ''senior'' will only make things worse. He has been badly exposed, yet he behaves like a victim.

Drop him for good.

yes let’s bring in our Bradmans in the form of Shan Masood and Sarfraz to fix everything..

Babars race is run but who has the performances to justify becoming Captain. If SSA becomes Captain, he will have to explain his terrible bowling, if Riz becomes Captain he will explain his average batting from no 4, where you need the best or 2nd best bat.

Cant wait to see the back of him as a captain. Times up for you. Thank god!

Unlike many in the past he has been a sincere captain and servant of the team, but honest humble men who can't carry out the job in a professional work setting are not kept around. You need to have the skills to do the job.

His batting has suffered and it is clear from this press conference, that him stepping down as captain will be an immense boost to pakistan and his own performance.

Like trying Abrar or any other spinner from the domestic circuit, instead playing the same 11 all year long in every single game. He never worked on creating a team for indian conditions or never gave chances to some 1 like Abrar, who actually can spin the ball.

yes let’s bring in our Bradmans in the form of Shan Masood and Sarfraz to fix everything..
Who said to bring them in? The damage done will take years to fix. It starts with the right attitude and mindset. Babar does not have the attitude or mindset.

Like trying Abrar or any other spinner from the domestic circuit, instead playing the same 11 all year long in every single game. He never worked on creating a team for indian conditions or never gave chances to some 1 like Abrar, who actually can spin the ball.
Not defending babar and I share your disappointment here. But in reality, chances were given to Zahid M, Usman Q, and most recently to Usama Mir prior to the World Cup. But none grabbed their chances. Abrar came in the radar recently and Babar should have prioritized Abrar over Usama but he may have persisted with Usama as he wasn’t that poor prior to the WC. Picking Abrar in ODIs over Usama wasn’t clear cut prior to the World Cup, but more of gamble as well. Abrar has never played a single ODI.

Not defending babar and I share your disappointment here. But in reality, chances were given to Zahid M, Usman Q, and most recently to Usama Mir prior to the World Cup. But none grabbed their chances. Abrar came in the radar recently and Babar should have prioritized Abrar over Usama but he may have persisted with Usama as he wasn’t that poor prior to the WC. Picking Abrar in ODIs over Usama wasn’t clear cut prior to the World Cup, but more of gamble as well. Abrar has never played a single ODI.

They needed to try new players since 3 years ago.

May be it’ll be better (& easier) for everyone if Babar steps down from captaincy, may be in excuse of personal reason; otherwise at one point PCB will be forced to sack him.

I believe Arthur’s pay days are over from PCB - he had some great days, some not so great ones but every good/bad thing should come to end at one point. Next head coach should take PAK to CT25, better to WC 2027 - that’s 40+ months. Better PCB appoints a new captain and allow to be groomed by next coaching staffs.

For his own good, Babar should play as the main player of the team, focus on own batting and guide few younger players that will be introduced in next 1 year. He still has 10+ years left in PAK cricket - this is not working.
He is 29/30
How does he have 10 years ?

Well even if the plan is not to go hard from ball 1 fakhar will go on his merry way regardless. Hope he bats big to keep us in contention, however minuscule that chance may be.

Hafeez and Misbah had a meeting with you and suggested you to make few changes, but you refused to listen and continued to support players like Nawaz and Shadab.

Babars race is run but who has the performances to justify becoming Captain. If SSA becomes Captain, he will have to explain his terrible bowling, if Riz becomes Captain he will explain his average batting from no 4, where you need the best or 2nd best bat.
Rizwan seems tactically better on the field and has that don't mess with me attitude. Have seen him give suggestions about field placings that have turned out to be the correct one. The most stark one I recall was to have a fielder on the boundary behind the keeper to Wade just before he played those shots. I recall him making the scoop sign to Babar which was refused. Wade might well have still cleared the ropes but you wonder if it would have put doubts in his mind.

They needed to try new players since 3 years ago.
I guess that’s what I just said. They did try spinners over the last few years but all were bang average and non one impressed. Are you saying they should have played more spinners? Was there any one specific

Drop him for good.
Well, I strongly believe he should be kept away from t20i setup, unless the guy works really hard & drastically changes his approach, he will never amount to anything substantial in that format. Pak simply can't afford both of RizBar together in the t20 side, it should have been done after last year's embarrassing display, but better late than never. As for odi's, Pak won't even play the format for next 1 year!🙄 Only the idiots in charge of PCB know why. So there's no question of dropping him there. He obviously still merits a place in the test side, nothing controversial about that.

What's the guy saying?
He’s telling him not to resign because the board doesn’t actually hold any power to sack him right now.

I don’t understand these guys, are you honestly going to advice a person who isn’t right for the job to just hold on because the current board can’t remove him rightfully?

He’s telling him not to resign because the board doesn’t actually hold any power to sack him right now.

I don’t understand these guys, are you honestly going to advice a person who isn’t right for the job to just hold on because the current board can’t remove him rightfully?
So this jobber is basically sucking up to the captain clueless at the worst possible timeline. What an idiot.

So this jobber is basically sucking up to the captain clueless at the worst possible timeline. What an idiot.
He’s been going overboard for 2 years now in his unconditional support of Babar Azam. I just can’t understand who would actually at this moment agree with this advice? It’s the national cricket team, not Babar Azamistan

um bro, forget msging. The guy advising you was sitting in the same meeting. Maybe you should had listened to him

He’s been going overboard for 2 years now in his unconditional support of Babar Azam. I just can’t understand who would actually at this moment agree with this advice? It’s the national cricket team, not Babar Azamistan
I am suspecting this loudmouth jobber is also somehow affiliated with the event management company. Otherwise why would he say this now? Any smart individual will keep his mouth at current circumstances unless he has selfish gaining.

People will criticise you.

You lost to Afghanistan, got smashed by India, hammered by Australia and have failed to reach the semi-finals.

What's he expecting, praise and garlands?

Rizwan seems tactically better on the field and has that don't mess with me attitude. Have seen him give suggestions about field placings that have turned out to be the correct one. The most stark one I recall was to have a fielder on the boundary behind the keeper to Wade just before he played those shots. I recall him making the scoop sign to Babar which was refused. Wade might well have still cleared the ropes but you wonder if it would have put doubts in his mind.
Its OK to give suggestions because if they don't work out, there is no responsibility on you. I am amazing in my front room with ideas but I don't have to live with the consequences if they go pear shaped.

Really, so all we needed was Abrar. A guy that relies on variations more than spin. He may have been good but let's not make out that Abrar is going to solve our spin issues

Babar must the only captain in recent memory to get progressively worse over time.

Even in our darkest eras we never got whitewashed 0-3 in a Test series in Pakistan until this joker.

His refusal to learn from mistakes, insecurity evidenced by sidelining of self-assertive players outside his social circle who call him on his rubbish decisions, and astonishing lack of basic tactical awareness despite playing internationally for nearly a decade necessitates an unceremonious sacking.

Captaincy isn't the root cause of our ills but that that doesn't mean accountability goes out the window.

Babar must the only captain in recent memory to get progressively worse over time.

Even in our darkest eras we never got whitewashed 0-3 in a Test series in Pakistan until this joker.

His refusal to learn from mistakes, insecurity evidenced by sidelining of self-assertive players outside his social circle who call him on his rubbish decisions, and astonishing lack of basic tactical awareness despite playing internationally for nearly a decade necessitates an unceremonious sacking.

Captaincy isn't the root cause of our ills but that that doesn't mean accountability goes out the window.
Which self assertive players?

Which self assertive players?
I like the guy as little as you do but on the basis of this World Cup and the shocking performances of both Shadab and Nawaz, Imad should've been in the 15 at least.

I didn't support his inclusion initially but I'll admit at least we'd have got some economical darting and a few lower-order runs which is more than the other two jokers contributed.

Paired up with Abrar (who isn't anything special himself) and surely they would've exerted some more control in the middle overs than Shadab-Nawaz.

There's another name but I cannot be bothered right now to open that can of worms again.

Hafeez and Misbah played in WCs and hardly uprooted any trees.
When Misbah was captain, he knew what resources to take and develop.

When the hafeez ban came in, he had haris sohail practisiing his bowling. He took 5 pacers to Australia.

Babar just did not bother to plan anything.

Time to suck it up Babar. You’re the captain, every captain has to take the flak. It’s part of the job description.

This was a pathetic World Cup campaign for him both as a player and captain.

Well, I strongly believe he should be kept away from t20i setup, unless the guy works really hard & drastically changes his approach, he will never amount to anything substantial in that format. Pak simply can't afford both of RizBar together in the t20 side, it should have been done after last year's embarrassing display, but better late than never. As for odi's, Pak won't even play the format for next 1 year!🙄 Only the idiots in charge of PCB know why. So there's no question of dropping him there. He obviously still merits a place in the test side, nothing controversial about that.
Really
He should be kept away from Pak cricket, by a big distance. Brought shame to the country, roaming around like a tourist in India. For me, he has been exposed big time (on and of the field). Very meek.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, so all we needed was Abrar. A guy that relies on variations more than spin. He may have been good but let's not make out that Abrar is going to solve our spin issues
Did I say he would solve it? Shadab we knew would not. Had he tried him vs Aghan team or in Asia cup we would have known. He had 3 years to work to this WC. But he himself is nothing special, cant play fast, cant play spin. Roam around and get a 50 is all he does. Even his fitness is so poor.

Did I say he would solve it? Shadab we knew would not. Had he tried him vs Aghan team or in Asia cup we would have known. He had 3 years to work to this WC. But he himself is nothing special, cant play fast, cant play spin. Roam around and get a 50 is all he does. Even his fitness is so poor.
When you average 50+ and get universally recognised, then come back and tell us about Babars specialness( lack off).
There is no such thing as working 3 years on this WC. You have a team, players come into and fall out of form. It's cricket

When Misbah was captain, he knew what resources to take and develop.

When the hafeez ban came in, he had haris sohail practisiing his bowling. He took 5 pacers to Australia.

Babar just did not bother to plan anything.
We were worse in 2015, than we have been in this WC, much worse.

Babar seems agitated here. I think this is the first time I am seeing him say something aggressive.

Back