James Pattinson out of Pakistan Tests

Junaids

Senior T20I Player
Runs
Post of the Week
James Pattinson rules out Test cricket this summer, remains open to ODI selection

JAMES Pattinson kept on smiling despite the frustrating prospect of missing an entire Test summer because of his latest back injury.

A slimmed-down Pattinson says Test cricket is “probably” out of his reach in December and January. He hasn’t given Australia’s tour of India in February any thought.

The 17-Test veteran expects to resume for his club side Dandenong next month. He’s certain he’ll be fit to take the new ball for the Melbourne Renegades in the Big Bash League in December.

Pattinson has been out of action since the Christchurch Test against New Zealand in February because of stress fractures. He says he hasn’t ruled out taking the field for the Bushrangers before Christmas in the Sheffield Shield.

Pattinson says he’s feeling strong after shedding “a bit of weight” during his pre-season campaign thanks to plenty of running sessions.

“I’m off my long run next week. I’ll probably be playing grade cricket in the next couple of weeks and then see how I go from there,” Pattinson said.

“I’ll probably play maybe two or three games there and then probably see how I’m going with my workloads.

“If it’s not Shield cricket then I’ll definitely be right to go for the start of the Big Bash.

“I haven’t ruled out playing international cricket. I probably won’t play Test cricket.

“Definitely one-dayers and that sort of thing, I’m open to.”

Pattinson’s enjoying just running in and bowling, rather than fussing over his bowling action and how it may affect his back.

“This year I’ve sort of just gone pretty natural. I’ve just run in and tried to let the ball go and whatever happens sort of happens,” he said.

“I haven’t been looking at vision every time I bowl.

“I feel like I’m getting somewhere back to where I was when I first started playing Test cricket.”

Pattinson, who has taken 70 Test wickets including 5-27 on debut against New Zealand in 2011, is keen to avoid being rested.

“I want to bowl and try to build that workload up in my body and try to get my body back to being pretty resilient,” he said.

“I’m in a pretty good position. I’m still only 26.

“You hold inspiration from guys like Mitch Johnson and Brett Lee who have had similar injuries and they’ve come back and ended up playing in so many Tests for Australia.

“It’s pretty easy to stay positive. I’m an upbeat type of guy.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/c94dc3ef0db54deebf9b2ee346d87b0b

This is really good news for Pakistan.

The second most devastating Australian fast bowler is a little behind in his recovery from stress fractures and will miss bothTest series this summer.

That means the attack will be Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazelwood, Mitch Marsh, Nathan Lyon and one more quick, probably one of the two medium pacers (Peter Siddle and Jackson Bird).

Pakistan had just better hope that Pat Cummins doesn't make it....

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as Pattinson is fit for the next ashes he should take his time and build up his strength.

The only struggle for us should be the new ball. I know it sounds cliche, but if we can play out Starc & Hazlewood, then we can smash Bird, Lyon and Marsh.

I hope he comes back soon. Desperately want to see starc,Pattinson,Hazelwood play together.

You should be disappointed instead of happy [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION]. I thought you were a simple Englishman who is a fan of good cricket and players with flair. :jaya

more than Starc, Hazlewood is the key for Australia against Pakistan. We just can't play line and length bowlers who can seam the ball around and Hazlewood does that. I'm more afraid of Hazlewood than Starc to be honest.

I wonder if Australia will ever assemble Starc, Cummins, Pattinson and Hazlewood on the pitch together, for a good run of matches. They would then need to find a Moeen Ali type spin bowler who's a good enough batsman to go in the top 6, to round out the attack. Left fast, right fast, and two x right medium fasts plus a spinning all rounder would form a complete attack for everywhere outside the subcontinent.

Australia still have 3 Tests to play before they start the Pakistan series, it isn't a surefire thing that Starc, Hazlewood etc. will all make the starting lineup come December.

LOL why is this even news?

it would me more worthy of a thread if this guy actually ever played

I wonder if Australia will ever assemble Starc, Cummins, Pattinson and Hazlewood on the pitch together, for a good run of matches. They would then need to find a Moeen Ali type spin bowler who's a good enough batsman to go in the top 6, to round out the attack. Left fast, right fast, and two x right medium fasts plus a spinning all rounder would form a complete attack for everywhere outside the subcontinent.

Have they ever played together?

actually have even 3 of them consistently been in the same lineup ever

Nope it's relevant at to our series in Australia so it should be kept.

Nope it's relevant at to our series in Australia so it should be kept.

Guys played like 5 test matches in last 3 years.

Hasnt played ANY form of cricket since February so him making it to Pak tests was always impossible

Pattinson is a very good bowler. Shame he's been going to through injuries since his debut.

Was looking forward to him bowling against Pakistan. btw, I don't think Starc is going to trouble our batters this summer. He will be figured out after the 1st two innings

Guys played like 5 test matches in last 3 years.

Hasnt played ANY form of cricket since February so him making it to Pak tests was always impossible

'Latest back injury' - he had another fresh injury which would mean that his current rehab was wasted, I haven't been keeping tabs on him for the last few months but perhaps before this injury he was close to playing cricket and once you're at that stage, proving form is the only barrier to the national team for a bowler like Pattinson.

Pretty sure they haven't because Starc only started playing Tests 2-3 years ago, Cummins played like 2 Tests in 2011 and has been injured ever since, Pattinson has been injured recently and Hazelwood again debuted I think a couple of years ago.

So at best, only 2 of them have played at the same time.

Who's he again?

Him playing would've been disaster for Australia. Our batsmen will make him look like a clown.

So it's better he's not playing. Bad loss for us.

Who's he again?

Him playing would've been disaster for Australia. Our batsmen will make him look like a clown.

So it's better he's not playing. Bad loss for us.

Am I missing something here?

Exactly. Cummins and Pattinson playing 5 matches without getting injured should be news.

Australian bowlers do have a knack of remaining injured for more time than being fit.

It's all a bit new for me. Cricketers spending extended time away from the game and musing about the conditions which will allow them to consider playing.

Pattinson was already injured and not going to be in a position to play anyway.

I believe I can remember NSW fielding all three of them in the same game.

Maybe last year

James Pattinson goes ballistic in Victorian cricket knock

INJURY-PLAGUED Aussie quick James Pattinson has sent selectors a timely reminder of his value, clubbing 137 off 62 balls in a Premier Cricket Twenty20 match yesterday.

Easing his way back into the bowling crease, Pattinson shone for Dandenong with the bat in a knock Ringwood captain David King says he’s never seen at Premier level.

Ringwood had the Panthers 3-17 before Pattinson came in at four and smashed 137 off 62 balls to catapult the home side to 4-202.

“He got away from us didn’t he? I’ve never seen anyone hit the ball so cleanly,’’ King said.

“He couldn’t stop hitting sixes, it didn’t really matter where we put the field because he kept hitting it over their heads.

“We didn’t bowl well and hit our areas consistently but in saying that it was some pretty impressive batting.”

Pattinson bowled four overs and took 2-25.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.a...k=e9824ae6b7c988f0b6d5d7fc9bfd515c-1480375899

Imagine 3 quality strike bowlers playing together.

All 3 wicket takers capable of moving the ball and bowling 145+ consistently with all 3 capable of bowling 150 kph.

Starch, Cummins, Pattinson.

Imagine 3 quality strike bowlers playing together.

All 3 wicket takers capable of moving the ball and bowling 145+ consistently with all 3 capable of bowling 150 kph.

Starch, Cummins, Pattinson.

Too much carbohydrate in that attack. Need more protein.

On topic, I'm a big fan of this guy but seriously hope he doesn't fade away and become an Atul Sharma, just hearing all these great things about him and his potential but never ever materializing into a proper career because he is always injured or somewhere in the wilderness.

Back