Katchatheevu Island Row: Why has the controversy resurfaced ahead of LS polls? What did India do 50 years ago?

Should India reclaim Katchatheevu island?

• Yes, its time to reverse the past folly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Cometh the elections, began the BJP propaganda machine but this time on Southern border against Sri Lanka

====

Katchatheevu Island, a disputed stretch in the Palk Strait, was ceded to Sri Lanka by the Cong govt headed by late PM Indira Gandhi, through an agreement in 1974. Fifty years later, the BJP, led by PM Modi, has mounted an attack on the Congress and DMK for ‘callously’ giving it away to Sri Lanka.

Katchatheevu Row: What's the issue? What India did 50 years ago?

Prime Minister Narendra Modi has slammed the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) and the Congress over the Katchatheevu Island row, saying the ruling alliance parties of Tamil Nadu have done nothing to safeguard the state’s interests. The Prime Minister’s charge on the opposition escalates the controversy in the run-up to the Lok Sabha Elections 2024.

“Rhetoric aside, DMK has done nothing to safeguard Tamil Nadu’s interests. New details emerging on Katchatheevu have unmasked the DMK’s double standards totally," PM Modi said in a post on X, citing a report by the Times of India.

Political Flashpoint

Katchatheevu, a tiny island between India and Sri Lanka in the Palk Strait, has resurfaced as a political flashpoint in Tamil Nadu, where the BJP is trying to make inroads ahead of the Lok Sabha Elections.

The island, a disputed area, was ceded to Sri Lanka by the Congress government headed by late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, through an agreement in 1974. But, led by PM Modi, the BJP has launched a scathing attack on the Opposition Congress and the DMK for "callously" giving away the strategic island to Sri Lanka.

The PM dug into a report on Monday that said the then Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, M Karunanidhi, had given consent to the agreement, despite the DMK's public posturing against the deal.

Soon after PM Modi’s posts on Monday, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar said the country's first Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, wanted to give away the island to Sri Lanka.

The issue has resurfaced after a media report based on an RTI reply to a query filed by Tamil Nadu BJP chief K Annamalai. The reply reveals the former Prime Minister, the late Indira Gandhi, had ceded the island to Sri Lanka in 1974.

"Eye-opening and startling! New facts reveal how Congress callously gave away Katchatheevu. This has angered every Indian and reaffirmed in people's minds - we can't ever trust Congress," PM Modi posted on X, on March 31, citing another report on the RTI response.

Questionable Timing

PM Modi also mentioned the issues during the rally in Meerut, where he flagged off BJP’s campaign in Uttar Pradesh. The PM linked the island row to the capture of Tamil fishermen and the seizure of their boats by the Lankan forces. Taking a cue from the PM, Jaishankar also repeated the charges to put the Congress on the defensive.

Congress chief Mallikarjun Kharge questioned the timing of the issue being raised by the Prime Minister. Kharge said Katchatheevu Island was given to Sri Lanka as part of a friendly agreement in 1974. He also reminded that the Modi government had undertaken a similar "friendly gesture" towards Bangladesh, related to the exchange of border enclaves.

Senior DMK leader RS Bharathi echoed Kharge’s response, saying the PM had "no achievements" to showcase and hence was only spreading "lies". “If PM Modi was keen on Katchatheevu, he could have reclaimed that island during his 10 years in office. Why didn't he take up the Katchatheevu issue?" Bharathi asked.

The Controversy

Katchatheevu Island, a 285-acre stretch, is located about 33 kilometres from the Indian coast, in the Palk Strait between Rameswaram in India and Sri Lanka. Fishermen from both countries used the Katchatheevu Island, which was initially part of the Madras Presidency. Katchatheevu had been a disputed territory between India and Sri Lanka since the British era. A dispute broke out again after Independence over fishing rights around the island.

The Congress government led by Prime Minister Indira Gandhi agreed to cede it to the island nation under the 1974 “Indo-Sri Lankan Maritime Agreement." This is how Katchatheevu became part of Sri Lanka. The island had little strategic value then, but over the last decade, geopolitical dimensions changed due to the rising clout of China and its growing influence over Sri Lanka, making it a location of strategic importance for India.

Significance for Tamil Nadu

Indian fishermen from Tamil Nadu often face punitive action from the Sri Lankan authorities. Jaishankar informed on Monday that at least 6,184 Indian fishermen have been detained in the last 20 years. Sri Lankan authorities have seized 1,175 Indian fishing vessels in the same period

The DMK, which was in power in Tamil Nadu in 1974, had said earlier that the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi-led Congress government had ignored its views before the agreement was signed with Sri Lanka.

Many leaders from the state, including AIADMK leader and former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, late J Jayalalithaa, had also flagged the issue. Jayalaithaa had also approached the Supreme Court over the issue. In fact, in August 2014, the Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led Union government had told the SC that the country would have to wage war to get back Katchatheevu Island

Last year, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister MK Stalin had written to PM Modi, urging that the matter should be discussed during Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe's visit to India.

Unlock a world of Benefits! From insightful newsletters to real-time stock tracking, breaking news and a personalized newsfeed – it's all here, just a click away! Login Now!

Source: Mint News

Last edited by a moderator:
My clear answer to this is that Modi has become the dictator of India, and BJP has become the core political party of India, which highly relies on religious sentiments of people. So, I am expecting rigging in elections, whether it's in South India or North India.

My clear answer to this is that Modi has become the dictator of India, and BJP has become the core political party of India, which highly relies on religious sentiments of people. So, I am expecting rigging in elections, whether it's in South India or North India.

BJP is non-existent in Tamilnadu. So they need their presence to be felt there and an old controversy like this is a good way of doing it.

One day Modi is a dictator, one day he is an ethnic cleanser, one day he is a Nazi and one day he is a Fascist. Among all those titles, he is also a PM.

Actually he couldn't stage another Pulwama so why not kick open a 50 year old controversy.
Mate, you possibly learned about this yesterday. Congratulations! But you really should learn more before opening another 'Beating India' thread.

As for Katchateevu, nobody kicked anything open. The Tamils, across party lines, have always been opposed to the gifting away of Katchateevu to Sri Lanka by Indira Gandhi's Congress. The issue has been festering for 50 years . Modi is merely raising it to criticize the Congress. It is quite natural for politicians to poke their opposition during election time. Happens in all democracies, real ones that is.

Dictator? Rigging?

We are not Pakistan. Neither do we have dictators nor are our results rigged.

You have no idea about India, your opinion is based on your hatred for India, BJP and Modi.

Would it be ok if we start calling terror attacks in Pakistan as staged?
Ofcourse you can call it a staged one if you have proper evidences for that.

As of pulwama, how come a journalist like Arnab knew it before hand. Very strange.

And also India didn't waste any time to pin blame to Pak and that too without investigation. Just connect the dots and the puzzle gets unravelled.

It is quite natural for politicians to poke their opposition during election time. Happens in all democracies, real ones that is.
I second you on that but once a treaty is signed by a country with another such entity then it becomes legally binding upon them.

For instance, Pakistan can't just get up today and say that Bangladesh is a part of Pakistan, or like imperial powers reclaiming their past colonies. So it's not about congress as the treaty was signed with the backing of state of India.

If he is a dictator then why does he need to create a narrative? BJP has won 0 seats in TN in their history.

Pakistanis from 2014- BJP is bad for India.
India since 2014:

Forex: almost double.
GDP: Almost double
Foreign Relations: Indian centric depending upon issues

Improvements in infrastructure, digitisation, Digital education.

The issues for BJP- China, manufacturing infrastructure, Farm reforms, Women employment.

There are 100 issues with BJP but Modi is best of the lot we have right now.

Ghaas-Phoos Modi won't win a single seat in TN, KL, TS, AP. Wait and watch.

Don't know why Kannadigas gift sanghis so many LS seats.

As of pulwama, how come a journalist like Arnab knew it before hand. Very strange.

And also India didn't waste any time to pin blame to Pak and that too without investigation. Just connect the dots and the puzzle gets unravelled.
Isn't pulwama off topic for this thread since there's already a designated thread to it where it can be discussed?

Don't know why Kannadigas gift sanghis so many LS seats.

With the political demise of Yeddyuruppa, even that should ebb. But I still expect the BJP to win a double digit number of seats in KA.

With the political demise of Yeddyuruppa, even that should ebb. But I still expect the BJP to win a double digit number of seats in KA.
One thing is good though. Rabble rousers like Kateel, Anant Hegde and Simha aren't given tickets this time.

Shobha Karandlaje and Surya however, are still in fray.

Lack of any real alternatives. JD(S) appeals only to certain castes and the Congress is just not seen as a national party anymore .
Got it. Still it doesn't mean out and out hooligans like I mentioned above will be chosen for multiple terms.

Arnab had/has sources within the intelligence community and the government accepted that they had a intelligence input of a possible suicide attack.

Intel was shared with the CRPF and Army. Convoys were supposed to be kept short.

But due to weather there was no transportation for few days before that eventful day.

Consequently the convoy got longer and that was flagged as one of the reasons for the successful attack.

Jaish e Mohammed claimed responsibility of the attack. Do i need to tell you where is Jaish and its leadership located?

I second you on that but once a treaty is signed by a country with another such entity then it becomes legally binding upon them.

For instance, Pakistan can't just get up today and say that Bangladesh is a part of Pakistan, or like imperial powers reclaiming their past colonies. So it's not about congress as the treaty was signed with the backing of state of India.

Countries can and do withdraw from treaties. Its not unheard of.

For instance, Pakistan can't just get up today and say that Bangladesh is a part of Pakistan, or like imperial powers reclaiming their past colonies. So it's not about congress as the treaty was signed with the backing of state of India

Again, Modi never said that India should take back Katchateevu. All he said was that the decision taken by the Congress was not in the nation's interest.
I'm sure a lot of Pakistanis too, regret losing Bangladesh and are critical about the way the Bengalis were treated by Ayub Khan and Yahya Khan. It is not like they want the country merged back.

Would it be ok if we start calling terror attacks in Pakistan as staged?

It is such a shame when some Indians also calling Pulwama as staged due to their hatred for Modi. Then they get upset when people calls them as 'Anti nationals.'

Pulwama was fake why bcoz Modi strike back Pakistan in Balakot? Perhaps he should have wore bangles like Manmohan did after 26/11 and then it would have been a legitimate attack. How shameful.

BJP is non-existent in Tamilnadu. So they need their presence to be felt there and an old controversy like this is a good way of doing it.

One day Modi is a dictator, one day he is an ethnic cleanser, one day he is a Nazi and one day he is a Fascist. Among all those titles, he is also a PM.

What I don't understand is why Modi is spending so much time and effort in Tamil Nadu? I am sure Modi has good intention in his heart for the state's development but BJP will never going to win there in 2024. A state where leader of the ruling party says Sanatan Dharma should be eradicated, BJP will have very less chance if one has to guess. So he should just leave states like TN, Kerala & Punjab alone and focus on swing states like Andhra, Bengal etc and states where BJP is strong.

What I don't understand is why Modi is spending so much time and effort in Tamil Nadu? I am sure Modi has good intention in his heart for the state's development but BJP will never going to win there in 2024. A state where leader of the ruling party says Sanatan Dharma should be eradicated, BJP will have very less chance if one has to guess. So he should just leave states like TN, Kerala & Punjab alone and focus on swing states like Andhra, Bengal etc and states where BJP is strong.

In general, Modi shouldn't set foot in states where levels of education, literacy, women empowerment etc. are high.

Uttar Pradesh - Haryana - Gujarat are good arenas for him.

In general, Modi shouldn't set foot in states where levels of education, literacy, women empowerment etc. are high.

In general you should not talk rubbish about states you have no idea about.

You are mistaking Periyar ideology with education & literacy and trying to mask it with a racial connotation.

TN will have a few BJP LS seats this time. Even KL may not be zero.

In 545 seat, every seat matters

You are mistaking Periyar ideology with education & literacy and trying to mask it with a racial connotation.

They can post this kind of rubbish and get away. On social media they will be taken to task.

Again, Modi never said that India should take back Katchateevu. All he said was that the decision taken by the Congress was not in the nation's interest.
I'm sure a lot of Pakistanis too, regret losing Bangladesh and are critical about the way the Bengalis were treated by Ayub Khan and Yahya Khan. It is not like they want the country merged back.

This!

Modi just exposed how DMK didn't do anything about this and is an ally of the Congress.

Andhra Pradesh? Obviously forget Lok Sabha elections but are you aware the BJP didn't win a single seat in the Assembly elections in 2019. In what world is it a swing state?

It would be best for the BJP to not bother campaigning south of the Vindhyas. True they might win a few seats in Karnataka but is it really worth it investing resources and efforts? Whatever can be won would be won by the state unit and local politicians. Involvement by national politicians like Modi and Shah could only damage the BJP's prospects there.

It is such a shame when some Indians also calling Pulwama as staged due to their hatred for Modi. Then they get upset when people calls them as 'Anti nationals.'

Pulwama was fake why bcoz Modi strike back Pakistan in Balakot? Perhaps he should have wore bangles like Manmohan did after 26/11 and then it would have been a legitimate attack. How shameful.

Thank the gods for Modi. He has exposed these anti nationals.

Andhra Pradesh? Obviously forget Lok Sabha elections but are you aware the BJP didn't win a single seat in the Assembly elections in 2019. In what world is it a swing state?

It would be best for the BJP to not bother campaigning south of the Vindhyas. True they might win a few seats in Karnataka but is it really worth it investing resources and efforts? Whatever can be won would be won by the state unit and local politicians. Involvement by national politicians like Modi and Shah could only damage the BJP's prospects there.

We will see on 4th of June, how many seats BJP wins south of vindhyas.

There were people like you who said the same about BJP in Bengal and Odisha.

Pakistanis from 2014- BJP is bad for India.
India since 2014:

Forex: almost double.
GDP: Almost double
Foreign Relations: Indian centric depending upon issues

Improvements in infrastructure, digitisation, Digital education.

The issues for BJP- China, manufacturing infrastructure, Farm reforms, Women employment.

There are 100 issues with BJP but Modi is best of the lot we have right now.

Farm reforms won't happen because opposition will start formenting the khalistanis if BJP goes ahead on this.

I hope BJP doubles down on manufacturing and exports.

Women employment? Please elaborate.

We will see on 4th of June, how many seats BJP wins south of vindhyas.

There were people like you who said the same about BJP in Bengal and Odisha.
Dude, did you just follow the recent assembly elections?

There's what ~130 seats in the South? It would be a stunning victory for the BJP to win more than 10-11 of them. It would count as them making real inroads.

They can post this kind of rubbish on PP only and get away. On social media they will be taken to task.

Yeah this said poster @Varun for some weird reason is very racist towards North Indians. Not sure why but in almost all his posts he address them as Ghaas phoos or BIMARU etc. He think it makes him look cool but probably in reality he comes across as fool. There are many South Indians lives in North or even here in UK. Imagine if people start getting racist towards them and trust me there are plenty of ingredients, these same people will play victim card. Speak about politics, not sure why bring others dietary habits, race etc etc.

On what mathematical basis do you reach this conclusion?
29 BJP
27 INC
23 DMK
22 YSRCP
9 TRS
4 Left
3 TDP
1 JDS

South India has a total of 130 MP seats
And BJP is officially the largest party in South India

Yeah this said poster @Varun for some weird reason is very racist towards North Indians. Not sure why but in almost all his posts he address them as Ghaas phoos or BIMARU etc. He think it makes him look cool but probably in reality he comes across as fool. There are many South Indians lives in North or even here in UK. Imagine if people start getting racist towards them and trust me there are plenty of ingredients, these same people will play victim card. Speak about politics, not sure why bring others dietary habits, race etc etc.
Tbh Varun has educated many of us regarding the South Indian perspective and its nice to see him equally bitter and critical towards British Pakistanis, Pakistanis and North Indians.

Tbh Varun has educated many of us regarding the South Indian perspective and its nice to see him equally bitter and critical towards British Pakistanis, Pakistanis and North Indians.

Brother @Varun can open an academy and educate everyone for all I care but should refrain from racist comments. People from other side can respond in same language too but perhaps their education & upbringing stops them from doing so.

TN will have a few BJP LS seats this time. Even KL may not be zero.

In 545 seat, every seat matters
The BJP may not win a single seat this time in TN, but for the first time in history, the BJP will achieve a double-digit vote share, which would be its biggest achievement.
Chances are also slim in Kerala.

Ouch...bad day for liberals.
No one will respond to this post now :broad
BJP is expected to retain its first-place position in South this time as well. They will lose few seats in Karnataka compared to last time, but these losses will likely be compensated for in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh. BRS is weakened in Telangana, and the BJP can win at least 3 seats there. Although the BJP has no presence in Andhra Pradesh, an alliance with the TDP can help them win at least 3 seats.

Which is the single largest party in South India now?
The BJP may emerge as the single largest party in South but the majority of the seats will go to the local parties. Modi can't dare to run on a seat in South unlike IK in Pakistan, he can't take part in election from every province/state of the country.

29 BJP
27 INC
23 DMK
22 YSRCP
9 TRS
4 Left
3 TDP
1 JDS

This time Congress has better chances of reaching the first position in South india, especially with Telangana and Karnataka in their pocket. Compared to last time Congress will lose a few seats in Kerala but gain more in Karnataka and Telangana

The difference between Congress and BJP is not huge in South India, both are almost same level.

29 BJP
27 INC
23 DMK
22 YSRCP
9 TRS
4 Left
3 TDP
1 JDS

I ask on what mathematical basis they are expected to be the largest party in South India in 2024, and you respond with the 2019 results as if we are going to copy-paste everything 5 years later. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah this said poster @Varun for some weird reason is very racist towards North Indians.
Our boy Varun also has issues against Taxi drivers lol, kept bringing up cabs at one stage.. He must have gotten a beat down by a few passengers when he was driving cabs in Australia.

I did remind him there was no shame in driving a cab because it puts food on the table for many overseas Indian/Pakistani kids like him who struggle to meet their daily financial needs...

:apology

The BJP may emerge as the single largest party in South but the majority of the seats will go to the local parties. Modi can't dare to run on a seat in South unlike IK in Pakistan, he can't take part in election from every province/state of the country.
No prime ministerial candidate in India contests from every state. What is the point of contesting in every state? It's just a waste of taxpayers' money.
And you're comparing it to army-rigged politics.

BJP is expected to retain its first-place position in South this time as well. They will lose few seats in Karnataka compared to last time, but these losses will likely be compensated for in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh. BRS is weakened in Telangana, and the BJP can win at least 3 seats there. Although the BJP has no presence in Andhra Pradesh, an alliance with the TDP can help them win at least 3 seats.
BJP will most likely win most of the seats in Karnataka. I don't see them getting more than 3 in Telangana. Their tally in AP and Kerala will be 0, and they may win max 1 or 2 in TN.

Our boy Varun also has issues against Taxi drivers lol, kept bringing up cabs at one stage.. He must have gotten a beat down by a few passengers when he was driving cabs in Australia.

I did remind him there was no shame in driving a cab because it puts food on the table for many overseas Indian/Pakistani kids like him who struggle to meet their daily financial needs...

:apology

I have never been to Australia.

Unlike you - I like India more than Modi and prefer to live here. You clearly love Modi more than India which is why you are spotted everywhere except India, be it as a taxi driver or other.

No prime ministerial candidate in India contests from every state. What is the point of contesting in every state? It's just a waste of taxpayers' money.
And you're comparing it to army-rigged politics.
My point, he can't partake in elections from Kerala, AP and Telangana

Says who?
Modi will win hands down if he contests from anywhere in Karnataka, or even from constituencies like Secunderabad or Adilabad in Telangana, which are BJP strongholds.

I ask on what mathematical basis they are expected to be the largest party in South India in 2024, and you respond with the 2019 results as if we are going to copy-paste everything 5 years later. :ROFLMAO:

This time, either the Congress or BJP will emerge as the largest party in South India.

India Today and other political analysts conducted sample size survey.

This time, either the Congress or BJP will emerge as the largest party in South India.

India Today and other political analysts conducted sample size survey.

My prediction:

TN: I expect the DMK to sweep. 30+. I hate that skunk Karunanidhi and his offspring but the AIADMK is finished.
KL: 50:50 between Left and Congress.
AP: TDP to get most of the seats.
TS: 50:50 between BRS and Congress.
KA: BJP to get 10-15 seats, Congress the rest. JDS will win their one seat again.

BJP will most likely win most of the seats in Karnataka. I don't see them getting more than 3 in Telangana. Their tally in AP and Kerala will be 0, and they may win max 1 or 2 in TN.
Bro, repeating the 2019 magic in Karnataka is not possible this time. Congress is in power, and while the BJP is still in the lead position, it won't be a landslide victory like last time

My prediction:

TN: I expect the DMK to sweep. 30+. I hate that skunk Karunanidhi and his offspring but the AIADMK is finished.
KA: BJP to get 10-15 seats, Congress the rest. JDS will win their one seat again.
As someone who knows little about tn politics, what's the ideological difference between dmk and aiadmk

My prediction:

I'd agree. Maybe I was a little pessimistic about the 10-15 seat range especially given their tie-up with TDP.

Back to the topic of this thread though, they can potentially stir up some sentiment regarding giving away the island but do they have the right politicians in Tamil Nadu to be able to take it to the grassroots level and make this into a poll issue? Modi making speeches in chaste Hindi is obviously not going to cut it.

If not, is there a point raking up an issue with what is currently a very friendly and grateful neighbour after our help in their crisis? If you genuinely want some concessions, some behind the scenes maneuvering would have a lot more impact than this public posturing which will only get everyone's backs up.

As someone who knows little about tn politics, what's the ideological difference between dmk and aiadmk

Both of them are highly corrupt and as bad as each other. Historically, maybe Jayalalitha was a little better than Karunanidhi as she didn't come with an entire khaandaan like Karunanidhi's multiple wives and kids (though Jayalalitha had Sasikala).

DMK have an anti-Hindi/North attitude, but tend to dominate the urban centers. Chennai has been a DMK stronghold for a long time. They are a little more infrastructurally minded.

AIADMK are a little pro-Brahmin/upper caste compared to DMK, and have strongholds in the West (Konga Nadu) and the South of TN. However they have gradually declined since Jayalalitha's death and the 2021 Assembly Elections and now it seems like there is no opposition in TN.

I have never been to Australia.

Unlike you - I like India more than Modi and prefer to live here. You clearly love Modi more than India which is why you are spotted everywhere except India, be it as a taxi driver or other.
Sure buddy, I believe ya..

No shame in being a cabbie, I am not judging you for it.

I'd agree. Maybe I was a little pessimistic about the 10-15 seat range especially given their tie-up with TDP.

Back to the topic of this thread though, they can potentially stir up some sentiment regarding giving away the island but do they have the right politicians in Tamil Nadu to be able to take it to the grassroots level and make this into a poll issue? Modi making speeches in chaste Hindi is obviously not going to cut it.

If not, is there a point raking up an issue with what is currently a very friendly and grateful neighbour after our help in their crisis? If you genuinely want some concessions, some behind the scenes maneuvering would have a lot more impact than this public posturing which will only get everyone's backs up.

Agreed. At the moment, SL seems none the wiser:

On Katchatheevu, Sri Lanka minister says no word from India; TN BJP says Centre working on it

India has not sent any official communication yet on the Katchatheevu island issue, a senior Sri Lanka minister told The Indian Express on Monday even as the BJP scaled up its attack on the Congress, accusing it and the DMK of giving away the island, and the party’s Tamil Nadu unit chief K Annamalai claiming that the Centre is taking all possible measures to reclaim the territory.

Katchateevu is never going to be a poll issue. It hasn't been one for the past 50 years, and won't become one now.
And BJP is making a lot of inroads into the grass roots in Tamil Nadu, with Annamalai working hard on it. Whether this will translate into Lok Sabha seats still remains to be seen, but they are nicely set to take over AIADMK's constituency.

Dude, did you just follow the recent assembly elections?

There's what ~130 seats in the South? It would be a stunning victory for the BJP to win more than 10-11 of them. It would count as them making real inroads.

BJP currently has 29 seats in South India and they will retain or surpass that figure.

Katchateevu is never going to be a poll issue. It hasn't been one for the past 50 years, and won't become one now.
And BJP is making a lot of inroads into the grass roots in Tamil Nadu, with Annamalai working hard on it. Whether this will translate into Lok Sabha seats still remains to be seen, but they are nicely set to take over AIADMK's constituency.

In a way, I'd reluctantly admit that the BJP is needed in Tamil Nadu to clear up the Dravidian muck that has lasted for decades. But they are so Modi-Shah-high commmand focused that I doubt they can cobble up the personnel to do anything there, be it Lok Sabha or State Assembly. Sending Yogi Adityanath to campaign in TN in 2021 (speaking Hindi and all) was such a joke.

Annamalai doesn't have much clout outside of social media.

Then I don't understand. Why bring it up? I'd read a couple of articles which said it could potentially be a flashpoint.

Sri Lanka is literally the last country we should be pissing off now. The current government has properly swerved away from China and is nicely India friendly. We should be looking to pull them closer into our orbit and potentially use their bases to expand our reach in the Indian Ocean, not get into petty fights over tiny uninhabited islands.

Then I don't understand. Why bring it up? I'd read a couple of articles which said it could potentially be a flashpoint.

Sri Lanka is literally the last country we should be pissing off now. The current government has properly swerved away from China and is nicely India friendly. We should be looking to pull them closer into our orbit and potentially use their bases to expand our reach in the Indian Ocean, not get into petty fights over tiny uninhabited islands.

But that's not Modi maths. Here is Modi maths:

Sri Lanka as friend = 0 seats to BJP
Anger Sri Lanka = hopefully 1 seat to BJP from somewhere. Abki Baar Ek Paar!

It's totally weird. We scored a big win when Sri Lanka banned Chinese "research vessels" from it's waters. I would give substantial credit to the Indian foreign office for that ban. They were so obviously spy ships, it was comedic.

Now if @gani999 is right and Katchatheevu is unlikely to be a poll issue, what's the point of all this?

The BJP may not win a single seat this time in TN, but for the first time in history, the BJP will achieve a double-digit vote share, which would be its biggest achievement.
Chances are also slim in Kerala.

They may win 1-2 seats in KL and TN.

4-5 seats in Telengana. This may go up.

1-2 seats in AP

20 plus seats in Karnataka

So BJP will retain its number of seats in South or even exceed it.

At one end India complains that Sri Lanka is moving close to China on other they keep nagging them with such stuff.

Modi just exposed DMK and Congress.

What flashpoint?

Use Srilankan bases in Indian Ocean? Do you have any idea how many Islands India has in the Indian ocean?

Petty fights? Is India fighting SL? Where?

Back