Kevin Pietersen or AB de Villiers - Who is the better Test player?

Hasan123

Test Star
Runs
Both are terrific entertainers. In odis I think ab is a superior player but in tests is a close contest with both playing some brilliant knocks home and away.

Undecided who is the better test player. So want to know the opnion of PP posters, who is better and why?

Mods add a poll please.

KP becomes eligible for SA in 2018 and hasn't ruled out the possibility so we could see them both in the same team. That would be some prospect,

KP and quite comfortably too.

I am edging towards kp because I can remember more impactful knocks he played but AB has played some decent test knocks that get underplayed because everyone concentrates on his LO batting.

I am edging towards kp because I can remember more impactful knocks he played but AB has played some decent test knocks that get underplayed because everyone concentrates on his LO batting.

AB hasn't done much of note at all in Tests - if he had, any such innings would've been instantaneously remembered.

Some of kps topic knocks I can remember are

A double century in Australia
A century vs South Africa in 2012, the way he counter attacked Morkel was sensational
186 vs India
2005 ashes series the innings at the Oval
151 vs Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka.

Most of the time people bring up his blockathon vs Australia in Australia.

Realistically, it's not anywhere near KP's demolition of Steyn at Manchester, or his match winning ton in SL, or his performance in the 2012 India series, or his debut series vs the ATG Aussie attack and there are other examples which I'm not recounting off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Realistically, it's not anywhere near KP's demolition of Steyn at Manchester, or his match winning ton in SL, or his performance in the 2012 India series, or his debut series vs the ATG AUssie attack and there are other examples which I'm not recounting off the top of my head.

His double century in Australia was a brilliant knock also.

His double century in Australia was a brilliant knock also.

KP also has an entertaining double ton in Australia.

Not talking about any old innings here, rather ones that are remembered for years past they were played.

KP also has an entertaining double ton in Australia.

Not talking about any old innings here, rather ones that are remembered for years past they were played.

His knock at the Oval vs Australia will stay with me forever because I was 8 years old at the time and I followed that series like mad and I thought England had lost the game but his partnership with Giles got them the draw they needed.

His knock at the Oval vs Australia will stay with me forever because I was 8 years old at the time and I followed that series like mad and I thought England had lost the game but his partnership with Giles got them the draw they needed.

Fantastic knock. Those 3 were costly drop catches which took the game away from Aussies.

In tests, KP..

Some really memorable knocks out there :

186 at rank turner in Mumbai..

100+ vs Murali in Columbo

148 vs Steyn

100+ vs Mcgrath-Warne.

To be fair, KP is the best test batsmen among all those who debuted during the same period with Amla being the close one.

Cook, Clarke, AB are a level behind.

KP is a little overrated and is a good batsman who played great innings, rather than being a great batsman. You need consistency along with the ability to play these iconic innings in order to be an ATG.

de Villiers has been more consistent than him but he has never been South Africa's star batsman and has been shielded by Smith, Amla, Kallis and even Faf for all of his career.

Overall, I would place KP ahead of de Villiers but the latter is still around so this can change depending on what happens from here on out. Both were Asif's bunnies though! :asif

KP destroyed McGrath, Warne, Murali, and Steyn in their peak. There really is no comparison.

KP was several levels above AB as a test batsman.

Its a tough one for me as both men are tremendous players. But for me KP just edges out.

KP has played so many ATG knocks despite the abrupt end to his career.

KP comfortably.

WHat about Ab's 106 not out vs Aus when they chased down 414? That is a great knock

WHat about Ab's 106 not out vs Aus when they chased down 414? That is a great knock

AB has played many great test knocks. The reason they aren't glorified as much because SA don't get the same coverage as the big three. To name a few off the top of my head:

217* in India to setup a win.

174 at Leeds in prime swinging conditions.

As you mentioned, 106 in the Perth chase.

278 and 164 in UAE. The second one was more impressive because SA were 1-0 down after being comprehensively beaten. Along with Smith, he completely batted Pakistan out of the game. This was against prime Ajmal.

116 against a rampant Johnson in SA to setup their only victory.

Then there are his numerous stonewalling efforts.

ABD wins any such comparison hands down,I am a fan of both these cricketers but Ab surely is a better player he is far more versatile than kp so is with the consistency

Yes Kp has played some jaw dropping inngs's in carrier but so about AB,he scored more than a run a ball century against india at centurion scored a double hundred in india hits a ton in the 400+ chase at perth he took mitch in full flight despite the whole england n SA team n looks cluless and he did it on saffer pitches

Here the diff is can't imagine kp playing something like what ab did it in adelade when your team is 4 down and a day left he pulls out something like that in india at d start of the year too that itself shows the former was not a fluke

Kp is just about pure skill Ab is a mixture of shee rskill solid technique n good temperament

Pietersen has played knocks that are much more value-adding.

Quality over quantity.

KP can win you matches on his own more often than AB.

However, AB can save you from defeat more often than any other player of same generation.

KP could destroy any attack in the world on his day.

AB can block whole day against any attack.

AB can be like Boycott, Dravid etc and like Viv, Sehwag. KP was always in destructive mode.

In a 3-4 match series KP will win you a match, AB will draw 2 for you.

Here are some interesting stats for those who think AB is a better test batsman.

Against 3 greatest test bowlers of their time, McGrath, Warne, and Murali:

KP averages 51
AB averages 31

That's why I said KP is several levels above AB as a test batsman.

KP destroyed McGrath, Warne, Murali, and Steyn in their peak. There really is no comparison.

KP was several levels above AB as a test batsman.

KP didn't even have English citizenship when McGrath was at his peak.

In fact KP never played in a winning test match against McGrath

KP didn't even have English citizenship when McGrath was at his peak.

In fact KP never played in a winning test match against McGrath

In 2005, McGrath played 13 tests and took 62 wickets at 21.8.

KP did face the very best of McGrath and Warne and won at least two tests against Warne. Winning a test has nothing to do with batsmanship.

His 158 on 187 balls at Oval in 2005 against the bowling attack which had McGrath, Warne, Lee, and Tait was one of the best innings ever played against Australia.

KP did face the very best of McGrath and Warne and won at least two tests against Warne. Winning a test has nothing to do with batsmanship.

His 158 on 187 balls at Oval in 2005 against the bowling attack which had McGrath, Warne, Lee, and Tait was one of the best innings ever played against Australia.

McGrath only had one good test in the 2005 Ashes before injuring himself.

He was hardly at his peak regardless of the stats.

Lee was also a pretty mediocre test bowler and Tait was just rubbish

Pietersen generally played Warne very well.

Pietersen by a distance. His impact on the test game was genuinely influential and he definitely has played more memorable innings than de Villiers. I can think of 5 straight off the cuff:

158 vs Australia at the Oval 2005, 227 vs Australia at Adelaide 2010, 151 vs Sri Lanka at Colombo 2012, 149 vs South Africa at Headingley 2012 & 186 vs India at Mumbai 2012.

In comparison, the only de Villiers innings in test matches that I can recall is the painstaking 33 vs Australia off 220 balls in Adelaide in 2012.

If you ask Mohammad Asif, it doesn't matter; he'd tell you both were his bunnies

Close call but AB for mine. Unfortunately for him he got stuck down the order and then got handed the gloves for the sake of the team when he was at his peak. Being part of such a strong batting unit he didn't get much of an opportunity either to play those standout knocks because a lot of the time the job was already done when he came in. But when he did get the chance tho he delivered most times than not. KP was brilliant when he was switched on but he was hot and cold.

England won the 2 Tests in that Ashes when Mcgrath was injured, Lee and Tait were never really 1st choice.

Sometimes reading PP makes it seem that AB is some nondescript cricketer punching well above his weight and with no performance of substance. AB is the most talented cricketer to have played the game and although Pietersen can arguably be rated higher in tests, it doesnt have to mean that AB will go down as a nobody in the cricketing history.

England won the 2 Tests in that Ashes when Mcgrath was injured, Lee and Tait were never really 1st choice.

As I said before wining a test has nothing to do with batsmanship. You can still play an incredible inning and still draw or lose the match. KP's oval inning came against McGrath and Warne. Lee and Tait were support bowlers.

McGrath only had one good test in the 2005 Ashes before injuring himself.

He was hardly at his peak regardless of the stats.

Lee was also a pretty mediocre test bowler and Tait was just rubbish

After 1995, McGrath was always in his peak till he retired. He was a bowling machine who never had terminal decline.

meh...
While I don't rate AB, he is miles ahead of KP when it comes to skill, batsmanship and consistency.
You don't average 50 away and 40 in every Test nation by being a complete mug.
However I expect more from him. Tackling good bowlers in tough conditions isn't enough, he has the talent to win matches on his own which he has failed to deliver. I've not seen too many players capable of taking a pitch out of the equation both in terms of bowling and batting in the history of the game. Steyn and AB stick out, difference is Steyn being an absolute match winner.

KP was far too inconsistent and had so many flaws in his game. Struggled against left arm spin bowlers, Ajmal made him dance in a skirt too. It was humiliating. You don't average under 10 in a series as a great player. That's unacceptable. On rank turners AB was averaging 36, not great but puts into perspective the gulf in class. Those conditions were far too tough than the ones KP faced in the UAE.
Did he have iconic/important knocks? Of course he did, he was a good player no one can deny him that.
JP's 177 is the most important knock played in the last 50 years at least, is he better than Tendulkar? Of course not, that's not how it works.

Anyway neither is an ATG, that much is clear.

ABD has played some great Test innings including his 278 at Abu Dhabi and his match saving 100 vs India at Johannesburg 2013 along with the blockathon innings in Ahmedabad last year.

Peterson has played some great knocks too but ABD has another dimension in his Test batting that gives him the nod - ability to dig in deep and grind it out.

meh...
While I don't rate AB, he is miles ahead of KP when it comes to skill, batsmanship and consistency.
You don't average 50 away and 40 in every Test nation by being a complete mug.
However I expect more from him. Tackling good bowlers in tough conditions isn't enough, he has the talent to win matches on his own which he has failed to deliver. I've not seen too many players capable of taking a pitch out of the equation both in terms of bowling and batting in the history of the game. Steyn and AB stick out, difference is Steyn being an absolute match winner.

KP was far too inconsistent and had so many flaws in his game. Struggled against left arm spin bowlers, Ajmal made him dance in a skirt too. It was humiliating. You don't average under 10 in a series as a great player. That's unacceptable. On rank turners AB was averaging 36, not great but puts into perspective the gulf in class. Those conditions were far too tough than the ones KP faced in the UAE.
Did he have iconic/important knocks? Of course he did, he was a good player no one can deny him that.
JP's 177 is the most important knock played in the last 50 years at least, is he better than Tendulkar? Of course not, that's not how it works.

Anyway neither is an ATG, that much is clear.

How so?

Australia are so dominant at home, SA were 180/7 trailing Australia by 200+ runs.
His 166 runs with the tail is unheard of. To even have a lead from that position was amazing. It was a match and series winning innings. Australia hadn't lost a series at home in 16 years. No one dared of contemplating a series win in Australia.
Australia are not as strong as they were in decades gone by, but winning there to this day remains the epitome of cricket.
For example Australia hadn't lost a Test at home in 4 years prior to losing to SA at the WACCA, despite hosting the likes of NZ, SA, ENG regularly.
It won't surprise me if Australia go another 16 years without losing a series at home.

Australia are so dominant at home, SA were 180/7 trailing Australia by 200+ runs.
His 166 runs with the tail is unheard of. To even have a lead from that position was amazing. It was a match and series winning innings. Australia hadn't lost a series at home in 16 years. No one dared of contemplating a series win in Australia.
Australia are not as strong as they were in decades gone by, but winning there to this day remains the epitome of cricket.
For example Australia hadn't lost a Test at home in 4 years prior to losing to SA at the WACCA, despite hosting the likes of NZ, SA, ENG regularly.
It won't surprise me if Australia go another 16 years without losing a series at home.

For that to happen, they will have to produce ATG sides of late 90's and early 00's, whicj is extremely difficult.

KP was was very inconsistent when playing away from home.

In SA - 25
In Pak - 33
In UAE - 11
IN NZ - 38
In Aus/SL/In - 43-45

KP in 44 Tests in Aus+SA+Ind+Pak+UAE+NZ+Sl averages 38

AB has averaged 40+ in pretty much every venue. Ab is much more consistent, skilled and has the ability to play different kind of knocks. Playing good knocks time to time is surely a factor for KP, but it comes with the baggage of not scoring enough when playing away. AB has played some gun knocks as well.

AB and Amla has been the two best test players in the last 5-7 years when you take account of playing well in all conditions, against all teams and ability to play different kind of knocks. AB is a superior bat to KP.

In SA - 25
In Pak - 33
In UAE - 11
IN NZ - 38
In Aus/SL/In - 43-45

AB has averaged 40+ in pretty much every venue. Ab is much more consistent, skilled and has the ability to play different kind of knocks. Playing good knocks time to time is surely a factor for KP, but it comes with the baggage of not scoring enough when playing away. AB has played some gun knocks as well.

AB and Amla has been the two best test players in the last 5-7 years when you take account of playing well in all conditions, against all teams and ability to play different kind of knocks. AB is a superior bat to KP.

AB has been comfortably below Amla in tests. Bats way too low and doesn't have as many iconic innings or dominant series. The two best test bats of their generation have been Amla and Younis. I consider Sanga to be from the Ponting, Sachin and Lara generation but he would be up there with Amla if someone holds a different opinion on this.

Both players will have careers without their potential being fulfilled

Pietersen without any doubt. de Villiers is the most overrated Test cricketer of his generation, and of the most (if not the most) overrated Test cricketers of all time.

De Villiers.

Goodness only knows what he would have achieved with the bat if SA had not made him keep wicket.

I think of him as the best since Sir Viv Richards.

In SA - 25
In Pak - 33
In UAE - 11
IN NZ - 38
In Aus/SL/In - 43-45

I'm curious, would the same people who rate KP ahead of AB rate Graeme Smith ahead of Tendulkar?
Coz when it comes to iconic knocks and the biggest set of balls, it doesn't get better than Smith in the history of the game.
Perhaps i should start a thread to measure any form of consistency.

Back