Year Ender 2021: From AB de Villiers to Dwayne Bravo - Major Retirements in Cricket

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Ab de Villiers (South Africa):

Arguably the biggest retirement of the year, AB hanging the boots made news all over. And why not? He wasn’t your average cricketer. He was a multi-talented sportsperson; mind you, he was an excellent hockey player and perhaps he took a leaf out of it while scooping bowlers all across the park as RCB fans chanted “Ab Ab.” Indian fans loved him and he knew it. That’s why his thank you note had a ‘dhanyawad’ in it. He had already retired from international cricket back in 2017, and one fine November evening he made it clear he is no longer interested in playing franchise cricket. “It has been an incredible journey, but I have decided to retire from all cricket,” he said in a tweet. “Ever since the backyard matches with my older brothers, I have played the game with pure enjoyment and unbridled enthusiasm. Now, at the age of 37, that flame no longer burns so brightly,” he added.

Dwayne Bravo (West Indies):

Known for bowling some excellent slow yorkers, Bravo etched a name for himself in the IPL. He was an excellent batter-cum-fielder as well which meant full value for money. CSK retained him on many occasions, and he made sure that the investment was worth it. Meanwhile in 2021, he couldn’t win another T20 World Cup title with West Indies and hung up his boots soon after. He played in 90 T20s for the West Indies since making his debut against New Zealand at Auckland in 2006. He also scored 1,245 runs at an average of 22.23 and a strike rate of 115.38. “I think the time has come,” the 38-year-old Bravo told ICC’s post-match show on Facebook. “I’ve had a very good career … had some ups and downs, but as I look back at it, I’m very grateful to represent the region and the Caribbean people for so long.”

Dale Steyn (South Africa):

In his prime, Dale Steyn would scare batters with his fierce look which was complemented with a smooth run-up. As he aged, the run-up became iffy and the workload became hard to manage. Yet, Steyn produced some brilliance on the field. His rivalry with England’s James Anderson aroused fans across the world. “It’s been 20 years of training, matches, travel, wins, losses, strapped feet, jet lag, joy, and brotherhood. There are too many memories to tell. Thank you to everyone, from family to teammates, journalists to fans, it’s been an incredible journey together," Steyn wrote on 31 August 2021. He had constant run-ins with injury and had to call time on his Test career in 2019. He still had an eye on the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2020, before that tournament was postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic. He played 93 Test matches, picking 439 wickets at a stunning average of 22.95 – he finished eighth on the all-time list of wicket-takers. He also played 125 ODIs, picking 196 wickets at 25.95, and 47 T20Is, in which he claimed 64 at 18.35.

Ryan Ten Doeschate (The Netherlands):

Doeschate is and will be one of the most popular Dutch cricketers in India. Firstly, he made a World Cup century against England in 2011 which took place here; secondly, the IPL. Playing for Kolkata Knight Riders, his all-around skills kept him in the business, especially his medium pace which came in handy for then skipper Gautam Gambhir who depended on a number of slow-ball bowlers. The 41-year-old has scored 2074 runs from 57 international Test matches, 1541 runs from 33 One Day Internationals & 533 runs from 24 T20 internationals, since his debut in 2006.

Asghar Afghan (Afghanistan):

It was a painful sight to see Asghar Afghan holding off tears as his colleagues gave him a guard of honour in the group game against Namibia in ICC T20 World Cup 2021. In what turned out to be his final match, Asghar scored 31 off 23 balls as Afghanistan finished on 160/5 against Namibia. After the end of the innings, as the broadcaster interviewed the 33-year-old, an emotional Asghar could not hold back his tears.

“I want to give chance to youngsters now. It is the right time for the youngsters come forward. Most of the people asked to continue till the end of the tournament. But I thought this is the right time after the loss in the last game. There are plenty of memories. This is tough for me," he said.

Upul Tharanga (Sri Lanka):

Talented Sri Lankan opener Upul Tharanga also called time on his career recently. Upul was part of the Sri Lankan set-up for a very long time. His skills as an opener always provided an advantage to Sri Lanka on difficult batting tracks. Although his career was interrupted by many controversies, Upul can look back on his journey as a satisfied man.

Dhammika Prasad(Sri Lanka):

Remember Dhammika Prasad? Yes the same guy who had a run in with Ishant Sharma in 2015. Jokes apart, Prasad had been a loyal servant of Sri Lankan cricket since his debut in 2008. He also hung up his boots earlier this year. A consistent performer once, a shoulder injury deterred his career

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/...avo-major-retirements-in-cricket-4570493.html

How about those who should have retired!?

How about those who should have retired!?

Shoaib Malik and Hafeez are the biggest fraudsters in the history of our cricket. Though they still have gas but that doesnt mean they keep on going and going. Should have retired at the the end of T20 WC.

People like Dwayne Bravo have the like malignant tumours for international cricket. Prioritising easy bucks over hard yards of international cricket.
International cricket is dying because of such commercial jerks. I’m not opposed to one earning good sums but to use your national jersey as a commodity is just so disrespectful.
How mediocre cricket is these because of these merchants.

Back