Kylian Mbappe - An ATG in the making?

Muhammad10

T20I Debutant
Runs
AS Monaco's 18-year-old French striker, Kylian Mbappé, has become the first player in history to score in each of his first four Champions League knockout games.

An incredible teenage talent who has taken the biggest stage of the footballing world by storm.

Can he go on to become an ATG in the league of the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, etc.?

Last edited by a moderator:
He could become ATG. But Messi and Ronaldo are two goalscoring phenoms that wont be matched for a very long time. What they have done over the last 7-8 years making 40 goals a season seem normal wont be seen again for a while. But he can become someone on the level of a Robben if he fulfills his potential

If he plays in Spain in either of the 2 sides, he'll score lot, lot many goals - easiest place among elite leagues if you are a forward. If I am not wrong, CR has 41 hat-tricks for Real ..............one for MU :(

If he plays in Spain in either of the 2 sides, he'll score lot, lot many goals - easiest place among elite leagues if you are a forward. If I am not wrong, CR has 41 hat-tricks for Real ..............one for MU :(

Ligue 1 is also a decent place to rack up goals. I believe Monaco have been the highest scoring side in Europe this season and have a ridiculous goal difference in the French league as a result. In recent years, Ibra was bagging a hat-trick almost every other game for PSG, so I'm not sure how highly most French sides value defence.

Ronaldo spent his entire peak at Madrid. Had he played for United between 2009-2015, he would have massacred English football. Perhaps not in the same fashion because Madrid >>>> United, but he would have still easily notched up 30+ hat-tricks with 50+ goals seasons.

In 2007-08, when he was morphing into the cyborg he is today, he notched up 42 goals in all competitions. Scoring more than 30+ was unthinkable at that time. Suarez in 2013-14 scored 32 in 32 league matches, had he played in Europe, he would have taken that figure to 40+. The goal scoring exploits of Ronaldo and Messi are beyond La Liga and PL. English football has been extremely overrated for a decade now. It is not the 90's anymore, and we have seen players 20% of the talent of Messi come from Spain and excel in England. Torres, Silva, Mata, Aguero, Costa, Michu, Cazorla etc. etc., in spite of the so-called physicality of English hoofball. Nonetheless, we have argued at length on this topic, I know your views.

So Ronaldo and Messi wouldn't score goals vs Sunderland, Swansea, Bournemouth, etc?

The premier league is competitive but is ovverated in terms of quality.

So Ronaldo and Messi wouldn't score goals vs Sunderland, Swansea, Bournemouth, etc?

The premier league is competitive but is ovverated in terms of quality.

It's extremely physical - no one can survive full season in EPL. Scoring goal against those teams are nit difficult, but still Athletico had to pass Leicester eventually through a disputed penalty.

Ronaldo spent his entire peak at Madrid. Had he played for United between 2009-2015, he would have massacred English football. Perhaps not in the same fashion because Madrid >>>> United, but he would have still easily notched up 30+ hat-tricks with 50+ goals seasons.

In 2007-08, when he was morphing into the cyborg he is today, he notched up 42 goals in all competitions. Scoring more than 30+ was unthinkable at that time. Suarez in 2013-14 scored 32 in 32 league matches, had he played in Europe, he would have taken that figure to 40+. The goal scoring exploits of Ronaldo and Messi are beyond La Liga and PL. English football has been extremely overrated for a decade now. It is not the 90's anymore, and we have seen players 20% of the talent of Messi come from Spain and excel in England. Torres, Silva, Mata, Aguero, Costa, Michu, Cazorla etc. etc., in spite of the so-called physicality of English hoofball. Nonetheless, we have argued at length on this topic, I know your views.

But, CR won a Ballon D Orr at MU, the year he scored 42 goals, which is average for top 3/4 strikers in Spain every year, so he must be not that low that time.

I think, which player has done what in which league is a bit more than the quality of the league only - I can also name Morentes, Veron, Forlan, Falco ...... Pep Guardiola, even this guy Iago Aspas. Athletico needed a disputed penalty to pass 16th team in EPL ......

The goal scoring exploits of Ronaldo is is beyond La Liga for sure - he has done that in EPL & Pourtugal as well; not sure about Messi though, outside Barca...........

Ligue 1 is also a decent place to rack up goals. I believe Monaco have been the highest scoring side in Europe this season and have a ridiculous goal difference in the French league as a result. In recent years, Ibra was bagging a hat-trick almost every other game for PSG, so I'm not sure how highly most French sides value defence.

League 1 actually is one of the most defensive leagues in top level, average goal/match is around 2.5. This year Monaco had been exceptional - they are leading the table after 32 matches over PSG & their forward line is one of the most talented one, while their 2 wing backs are going to form one one of the most attacking pairs in football.

Ibra is a freak, around box, he is as good as Geard Muller or Van Basten was, it's like with age he is getting better. More or less, he has scored every where - Ajax, Inter, Barca, PSG, MU. In France, he played in a sub standard League in terms of competition as the spear head of an attack that had Cavani, Pastore, Di Maria, Moura and supplied by Verratti.

It's extremely physical - no one can survive full season in EPL. Scoring goal against those teams are nit difficult, but still Athletico had to pass Leicester eventually through a disputed penalty.

La liga teams also don't shut up shop like the EPL teams do when they feel there is no hope of getting anything from the game. OTOH they go for it even more as a lost game is a lost game and this lets teams like Madrid and Barca pad scorelines a lot.

Lol yet Monaco beat city and spurs. Bayern beat Arsenal with ease. English teams have been struggling in the champions league for a few years now.

La liga teams also don't shut up shop like the EPL teams do when they feel there is no hope of getting anything from the game. OTOH they go for it even more as a lost game is a lost game and this lets teams like Madrid and Barca pad scorelines a lot.

In Spain goal average doesn't count if both teams are on same point, rather the tie breaker is on head to head - in case of 3 or more ties, they go for goal scored, not goal average; that's why often it goes to 7-1, 8-2 level, because that 1 or 2 matters more to Espaniol or Levente, rather than 7 or 8 ....... Besides, Spanish referees protect the forwards most - half or CR or Messi's penalties won't have been awarded in EPL. Apart from that, everyone knows here that I am CR fan, still I can tell you that there is a significant number of goals from him from tap ins, which were off-side any where in world unless you are playing for Real or Barca in La Liga.

League 1 actually is one of the most defensive leagues in top level, average goal/match is around 2.5. This year Monaco had been exceptional - they are leading the table after 32 matches over PSG & their forward line is one of the most talented one, while their 2 wing backs are going to form one one of the most attacking pairs in football.

Ibra is a freak, around box, he is as good as Geard Muller or Van Basten was, it's like with age he is getting better. More or less, he has scored every where - Ajax, Inter, Barca, PSG, MU. In France, he played in a sub standard League in terms of competition as the spear head of an attack that had Cavani, Pastore, Di Maria, Moura and supplied by Verratti.

Well, I suppose PSG, Monaco and Lyon are the only really free-scoring sides in Ligue 1. The rest tend to lack a similar level of quality in attack, so you rarely see those lesser sides challenging for the title. Nice have been a surprising exception this year.

I don't think Ligue 1's average goals/match is as much to do with the league's strong defences, as it is to do with the gulf in quality between the top teams and the rest. The top attacking players will always end up with good stats over there. This year, Cavani, Lacazette and Falcao have produced pretty impressive goalscoring records.

Last edited:
Lol yet Monaco beat city and spurs. Bayern beat Arsenal with ease. English teams have been struggling in the champions league for a few years now.

True, my point was a 15th position team in EPL shut down Atheletico to a single goal from open play in 190 minutes.

Regarding EPL team's performance in CL, it's just that they are going through a transition phase - MU, MC with new manager, while top 2 sides this season Chelsea & Liverpool are out of Europe (which should be another eye opener - Barca/Real B team 'll make CL every year in that 2 horse race, which is different from Scottish League in terms of quality, not competitiveness).

There was a time, just about 6/7 years back - 4 of the 8 quarter finalists were from EPL, 3 teams made SF 3 times, 2 making the final once. Once, Liverpool won the CL & finished 5th in table; so did Chelsea few years later - it should be indicative enough how tough & physically taxing that league is. It's impossible to manage Saturday-Tuesday fixture & still run for both trophy in EPL, which top 2 Spanish clubs can easily do - imagine Liverpool resting Firmino & Mane against West Ham in Saturday for the Wednesday CL fixture - Real & Barca rests almost entire squad. Spurs struggled in CL this year because they had (still has) a chance for EPL title this year.

Historically, if you look at EPL (English League), there had been 6 CL (European Cup) winners - ManU (3), ManC (1), Liverpool (5), Nottingham Forrest (2), Aston Villa (1) & Chelsea (1) - 2 of the clubs now play in Championship. Add to that clubs like Arsenal, Spurs, New Castle EPL is tough, extremely tough.

Spanish clubs play free flowing football, & they do play the game on grass, therefore Spanish league is easily most stylish. Moreover, most number of Latin players play in Spain, therefore it has to be eye catching - but, it's lot, lot, lot easier to pile up goals there; particularly, if you are playing as forward for top 2 sides. Imagine Benzema scoring 25 goals/season in EPL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

True, my point was a 15th position team in EPL shut down Atheletico to a single goal from open play in 190 minutes.

Regarding EPL team's performance in CL, it's just that they are going through a transition phase - MU, MC with new manager, while top 2 sides this season Chelsea & Liverpool are out of Europe (which should be another eye opener - Barca/Real B team 'll make CL every year in that 2 horse race, which is different from Scottish League in terms of quality, not competitiveness).

There was a time, just about 6/7 years back - 4 of the 8 quarter finalists were from EPL, 3 teams made SF 3 times, 2 making the final once. Once, Liverpool won the CL & finished 5th in table; so did Chelsea few years later - it should be indicative enough how tough & physically taxing that league is. It's impossible to manage Saturday-Tuesday fixture & still run for both trophy in EPL, which top 2 Spanish clubs can easily do - imagine Liverpool resting Firmino & Mane against West Ham in Saturday for the Wednesday CL fixture - Real & Barca rests almost entire squad. Spurs struggled in CL this year because they had (still has) a chance for EPL title this year.

Historically, if you look at EPL (English League), there had been 6 CL (European Cup) winners - ManU (3), ManC (1), Liverpool (5), Nottingham Forrest (2), Aston Villa (1) & Chelsea (1) - 2 of the clubs now play in Championship. Add to that clubs like Arsenal, Spurs, New Castle EPL is tough, extremely tough.

Spanish clubs play free flowing football, & they do play the game on grass, therefore Spanish league is easily most stylish. Moreover, most number of Latin players play in Spain, therefore it has to be eye catching - but, it's lot, lot, lot easier to pile up goals there; particularly, if you are playing as forward for top 2 sides. Imagine Benzema scoring 25 goals/season in EPL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More often than not Athletico would beat Lecister comfertabley over 2 legs, wouldn't judge it off one tie.

Not only where they going through transition phase, difference between BBC,MSN, and Bayern squad is a big difference. Juventus are stronger defensively than all premier league teams in champions league. I haven't menu one efforts of Dortmund and Athletico in the past to get to champions league final ahead of English teams.

The league has always been physical . But as you mentioned English teams had a golden run but top teams in England are able to attract the top stars or retain them away from Barcalona, Bayern,Real.EPL doesn't have a player close to Suarez ,Neymar,or Bale.These 3 aren't even the best players in there teams. So quality gap is much wider between the best of Europe and Premier league teams.

Barcalona and Real Madrid do have tough games in there league and there are plenty of big wins from premier league teams.

Put MSN in anyone of premier league top 6 and they'll walk the league. Sure they'll have some games where they outdone physically, but more often than not they will be too good for the likes of Maculey, Gibson,Elphick, Oshea, Collins, Dann,etc . :)

Last edited:

Admittedly, Leicester are in the bottom half of the table, but they've been a much improved side since Shakespeare started writing their plays. Expect a far better display from them in next season's EPL.

More often than not Athletico would beat Lecister comfertabley over 2 legs, wouldn't judge it off one tie.

Not only where they going through transition phase, difference between BBC,MSN, and Bayern squad is a big difference. Juventus are stronger defensively than all premier league teams in champions league. I haven't menu one efforts of Dortmund and Athletico in the past to get to champions league final ahead of English teams.

The league has always been physical . But as you mentioned English teams had a golden run but top teams in England are able to attract the top stars or retain them away from Barcalona, Bayern,Real.EPL doesn't have a player close to Suarez ,Neymar,or Bale.These 3 aren't even the best players in there teams. So quality gap is much wider between the best of Europe and Premier league teams.

Barcelona and Real Madrid do have tough games in there league and there are plenty of big wins from premier league teams.

Put MSN in anyone of premier league top 6 and they'll walk the league. Sure they'll have some games where they outdone physically, but more often than not they will be too good for the likes of Maculey, Gibson,Elphick, Oshea, Collins, Dann,etc . :)

The question isn't how good MSN are, or RBB - if you notice my initial post, I said that he (Mabape) will score lots of goal if he plays for the top 2 sides in Spain. What, you said is just an extension of that - if anyone is part of that 3 X 2, he'll score lot, lot many goals

MSN/RBB will win EPL title indeed, as they are doing in Spain as well - BUT, will they do it with 35 points gap with the 3rd team? The football economy in Spain is such that, no team will even come close to those 2 clubs - because in Spain, TV rights are sold by clubs individually (bidding goes like Real's match, Barca's match). Real & Barca sells their 85K+ gate at 100% premium than any other club failing to do at half price for 35-38K gate. CR's entire transfer fee was recovered in 2 years only from shirt sale (that No. 9 to No. 7 transition was worth 50mn euro - thousands of copy were reproduced for No. 9, so that fans can keep it as souvenir).

Apart from Athletico & Valencia, hardy any club can compete even for Barca or Real's reserve bench. Besides, Spain's economy is in such state that no foreign investment coming - Arabs, Yanks, Russians & Chineses are going to Italy, England & France, even Turkey - therefore this gap will keep widening. Valencia is struggling to complete last 25% of new Mestala - even Sheikh Thani has burnt his hand at Malaga. This makes the league extremely unbalanced & privileged for those who play for top 2 clubs - obviously, you'll have to be someone to reach there.

I don't understand, why it's so difficult to understand, when Jadeja or Ashwin's bowling stats are dissected so easily ...

Last edited:
The question isn't how good MSN are, or RBB - if you notice my initial post, I said that he (Mabape) will score lots of goal if he plays for the top 2 sides in Spain. What, you said is just an extension of that - if anyone is part of that 3 X 2, he'll score lot, lot many goals

MSN/RBB will win EPL title indeed, as they are doing in Spain as well - BUT, will they do it with 35 points gap with the 3rd team? The football economy in Spain is such that, no team will even come close to those 2 clubs - because in Spain, TV rights are sold by clubs individually (bidding goes like Real's match, Barca's match). Real & Barca sells their 85K+ gate at 100% premium than any other club failing to do at half price for 35-38K gate. CR's entire transfer fee was recovered in 2 years only from shirt sale (that No. 9 to No. 7 transition was worth 50mn euro - thousands of copy were reproduced for No. 9, so that fans can keep it as souvenir).

Apart from Athletico & Valencia, hardy any club can compete even for Barca or Real's reserve bench. Besides, Spain's economy is in such state that no foreign investment coming - Arabs, Yanks, Russians & Chineses are going to Italy, England & France, even Turkey - therefore this gap will keep widening. Valencia is struggling to complete last 25% of new Mestala - even Sheikh Thani has burnt his hand at Malaga. This makes the league extremely unbalanced & privileged for those who play for top 2 clubs - obviously, you'll have to be someone to reach there.

I don't understand, why it's so difficult to understand, when Jadeja or Ashwin's bowling stats are dissected so easily ...

Yes I understand Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate the income in the Spanish league. The point I was trying to make let's not act like the EPL doesn't have have big wins for top 6 vs the lower teams like in La Liga.

Also Spanish league teams still find a way to the later stages of Europe. Celta Vigo are in the final 4 of the Europa league. :)

Yes I understand Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate the income in the Spanish league. The point I was trying to make let's not act like the EPL doesn't have have big wins for top 6 vs the lower teams like in La Liga.

Also Spanish league teams still find a way to the later stages of Europe. Celta Vigo are in the final 4 of the Europa league. :)

Same reason - Thursday-Sunday fixture doesn't drain them like EPL. Take out one of FA Cup or League Cup, add winter break, & play more matches on dry surface (only way by playing indoor, in UK, you can't change the weather & climate), 2 EPL teams will make Europa SF every year - even Fulham won it, the year they were relegated 3 weeks before the Europa Final.

Prolific young striker, he's done amazingly well at the age of 18 to get his goal scoring statistics. I think he and the likes of Bernado Silva and Mendy have given Monaco the dark horse title. If they somehow penetrate Juve's defence, then I don't see Madrid stopping them.

Prolific young striker, he's done amazingly well at the age of 18 to get his goal scoring statistics. I think he and the likes of Bernado Silva and Mendy have given Monaco the dark horse title. If they somehow penetrate Juve's defence, then I don't see Madrid stopping them.

Which Madrid? :jf

Same reason - Thursday-Sunday fixture doesn't drain them like EPL. Take out one of FA Cup or League Cup, add winter break, & play more matches on dry surface (only way by playing indoor, in UK, you can't change the weather & climate), 2 EPL teams will make Europa SF every year - even Fulham won it, the year they were relegated 3 weeks before the Europa Final.

Fulham lost the Europa league final in 2010 to Athletico and they weren't relegated till 2013/2014 season.

Thursday -Sunday is more draining than Tuesday/Wednesday for Saturday /Sunday in champions league so I agree on that point.

Fulham lost the Europa league final in 2010 to Athletico and they weren't relegated till 2013/2014 season.

Thursday -Sunday is more draining than Tuesday/Wednesday for Saturday /Sunday in champions league so I agree on that point.

My mistake, probably they were saved by Roy Hodgeson, in last week, but still making the Final was outstanding for that side.

My mistake, probably they were saved by Roy Hodgeson, in last week, but still making the Final was outstanding for that side.

Indeed it was. Comeback vs Juventus was epic. Zamora earned himself an England call up on the back of performances in the Europa league.

Either really, I rate Juventus's defence higher than Athletico's and when it comes to Real, Marcelo will probably leave space in behind for the likes of Sidibe and Silva.

I think Juventus vs Atheletico won't make for an entertaining game LOL.

Juve's defence will certainly pose a massive challenge for him. Will have a tough time keeping his scoring run in UCL knockouts alive.

Juve's defence will certainly pose a massive challenge for him. Will have a tough time keeping his scoring run in UCL knockouts alive.

100% right, I'd say that the likes of Dani Alves and Alex Sandro will have to play well because keeping out their wide players is very important when it comes to stopping Monaco.

I think Juventus vs Atheletico won't make for an entertaining game LOL.

One team will have to take the game on, and I feel like Juventus can do both (sit back or put really good pressure on the other team) so I'd see them as winners.

As expected, Juve's double decker bus yet again managed to shut down one of Europe's best attacks, following their consecutive clean sheets against Barca. Hope they don't bottle the seemingly imminent final against Real.

100% right, I'd say that the likes of Dani Alves and Alex Sandro will have to play well because keeping out their wide players is very important when it comes to stopping Monaco.

One team will have to take the game on, and I feel like Juventus can do both (sit back or put really good pressure on the other team) so I'd see them as winners.

Real vs Juventus will be the final it seems. BBC vs Barzagli, Bonucci, and Chellini will be an interesting battle.

As expected, Juve's double decker bus yet again managed to shut down one of Europe's best attacks, following their consecutive clean sheets against Barca. Hope they don't bottle the seemingly imminent final against Real.

Juventus aren't bottlers LOL. They lost the last final due to the fact they were facing a superior team.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Juventus: Kylian Mbappe's goal is the first Juventus have conceded in the Champions League in 689 minutes of action</p>— WhoScored.com (@WhoScored) <a href="https://twitter.com/WhoScored/status/862039372706852864">May 9, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-cards="hidden" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">With his 6th goal in 6 knockout matches <a href="https://twitter.com/KMbappe">@KMbappe</a> becomes the youngest player to score in a <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UCL?src=hash">#UCL</a> semi-final aged 18 years & 140 days. <a href="https://t.co/jGiZwamWvS">pic.twitter.com/jGiZwamWvS</a></p>— Champions League (@ChampionsLeague) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChampionsLeague/status/862040246770438144">May 9, 2017</a></blockquote>
Youngster continues to break records despite his team being outclassed.

Looks an outstanding talent and if hes nurtured and brought along in right way he will have a very long and prosperus career.

Mbappe reminds me of a fifa player. You just give the ball to someone strong and fast and run into the box. That's exactly what he does and tbh he's an incredible talent.

France are going to be one hell of a powerhouse in the coming years.

Real vs Juventus will be the final it seems. BBC vs Barzagli, Bonucci, and Chellini will be an interesting battle.

Yeah, will also be interesting to see what Juventus' gameplan will be, considering that it's just one match rather than two legs with a home game.

Yeah, will also be interesting to see what Juventus' gameplan will be, considering that it's just one match rather than two legs with a home game.

They will play on the counter attack and look to make the most of set plays. Bonucci, Chellini, and Manzudkick will be a handful from set plays for Real's defence.

They will play on the counter attack and look to make the most of set plays. Bonucci, Chellini, and Manzudkick will be a handful from set plays for Real's defence.

Agreed, maybe Cuadrado can exploit the space left in behind from Marcelo who likes to get forward.

Nick a goal and shut up shop for the rest of the game!

Mbappe scored again, as Monaco finally ended PSG's four-year reign as French champions. What a player! :messi

According to reports Liverpool's bid of £75 million for this guy has been rejected.

Needs to stay at Monaco for another year and then choose his team carefully. A team with good, creative players and other goal-scorers to share the burden would be best.

He is going to break the Transfer WR for sure. If he stays at Monaco for 5 more years, at 23 probably will move to Real or MU or MCity for US $ 250mn. But, I don't think, he'll stay at principality next season - gossip is that Klopp has already offered Monaco 75mn EURO (which I don't believe - those Yanks will sack him), but I do think he'll move this season for similar or higher figures. I wrote in a Liverpool Blog last year when he won the U19 EURO, that Liverpool should pre-contract this kid, who is better than Coman, Dembele or Martial - actually, I was wrong - this kid can be as good as CR7. Hope, this kid never comes to EPL before turning 23 - they'll knock his knee plate out.

He is going to break the Transfer WR for sure. If he stays at Monaco for 5 more years, at 23 probably will move to Real or MU or MCity for US $ 250mn. But, I don't think, he'll stay at principality next season - gossip is that Klopp has already offered Monaco 75mn EURO (which I don't believe - those Yanks will sack him), but I do think he'll move this season for similar or higher figures. I wrote in a Liverpool Blog last year when he won the U19 EURO, that Liverpool should pre-contract this kid, who is better than Coman, Dembele or Martial - actually, I was wrong - this kid can be as good as CR7. Hope, this kid never comes to EPL before turning 23 - they'll knock his knee plate out.

Dybala is quality as well.

His brilliant start reminds me more of how Messi began with a bang. Meanwhile, Ronaldo's career really took off in his early twenties.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Monaco have rejected a world-record bid of £103m from Real Madrid for Kylian Mbappe, per <a href="https://twitter.com/JBurtTelegraph">@JBurtTelegraph</a> <a href="https://t.co/5qrePpOBBv">pic.twitter.com/5qrePpOBBv</a></p>— B/R Football (@brfootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/866049765695533056">May 20, 2017</a></blockquote>
So it begins...

Liverpool big 64.3 :lol This guy is what Martial thought he was. Phenomenal production line. He's half Algerian too ..

.... err not quite. And this coming from a ManU fan who used to have a season ticket (or rather my employers did, and which I, ahem, made own) at Old Trafford for a couple of years. The goal scoring feats of Ronaldo and Messi at Real and Barcelona respectively, in addition to their talents, also have a lot to do with the players around them (ie amongst the two teams, they have most of the best players in the world who must also take a fair amount of the credit in regards to the goals scored by Ronaldo and Messi), as well as the quality of opposition.

Just look at the differences in the number of goals these two score for their club teams versus the numbers they score for their national teams to understand the difference the above mentioned factors make.

When it comes to pure goal scoring no one, not even Pele comes close to zie German Gurd Muller.

.... err not quite. And this coming from a ManU fan who used to have a season ticket (or rather my employers did, and which I, ahem, made own) at Old Trafford for a couple of years. The goal scoring feats of Ronaldo and Messi at Real and Barcelona respectively, in addition to their talents, also have a lot to do with the players around them (ie amongst the two teams, they have most of the best players in the world who must also take a fair amount of the credit in regards to the goals scored by Ronaldo and Messi), as well as the quality of opposition.

Just look at the differences in the number of goals these two score for their club teams versus the numbers they score for their national teams to understand the difference the above mentioned factors make.

I did mention the difference between the quality of Madrid and United in the post that you quoted:

Perhaps not in the same fashion because Madrid >>>> United, but he would have still easily notched up 30+ hat-tricks with 50+ goals seasons.

However, my main gist/point was that Ronaldo is not scoring more goals in La Liga because the PL is a notch above, but because he spent his peak in La Liga in a superior team. Put Madrid and Barcelona in the PL and Ronaldo and Messi will not score any less. As far as their goal-scoring record for their international teams are concerned, Messi plays a deeper for Argentina and primarily serves as a playmaker because Argentina have a shortage of creative midfielders and playmakers, but a surplus of strikers.

In any case, it is difficult to compare club football to international football because the matches happen infrequently due to which there is a considerable lack of cohesion and chemistry between the players. If Portugal plays in a league with 38 matches in less than 12 months, Ronaldo will definitely come close to his Madrid strike rate.

I did mention the difference between the quality of Madrid and United in the post that you quoted:

However, my main gist/point was that Ronaldo is not scoring more goals in La Liga because the PL is a notch above, but because he spent his peak in La Liga in a superior team. Put Madrid and Barcelona in the PL and Ronaldo and Messi will not score any less. As far as their goal-scoring record for their international teams are concerned, Messi plays a deeper for Argentina and primarily serves as a playmaker because Argentina have a shortage of creative midfielders and playmakers, but a surplus of strikers.

In any case, it is difficult to compare club football to international football because the matches happen infrequently due to which there is a considerable lack of cohesion and chemistry between the players. If Portugal plays in a league with 38 matches in less than 12 months, Ronaldo will definitely come close to his Madrid strike rate.
Put Ronaldo and Messi in the PL, and they will score a lot less. And that's nothing to do with how much better Real and Barcelona would be in the PL compared with other PL teams. Rather, it's primarily due to the fact that the PL is much more physical (but less technical) than others leagues, is faster paced, with a much smaller gap between the top 5 or 6 teams versus the bottom 5 or 6 teams, which all result in greater physical demands on players. As for "...but he would have still easily notched up 30+ hat-tricks with 50+ goals seasons..." (presumably you mean if he had remained with Man Utd in the PL ?)... not quite!

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] ^^^ Just to add.

This from Gary Neville who presumably is far more knowledgeable on this topic than anybody on this forum considering that they were teammates during the whole time C. Ronaldo was at Man United.

Cristiano Ronaldo was better at Manchester United, says Gary Neville

Manchester United legend Gary Neville believes Cristiano Ronaldo enjoyed the best form of his career at Old Trafford instead of with Real Madrid.

The Portugal international made history last night as he became the first player to hit 100 Champions League goals, with his superb hat-trick downing Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals.

This continues a sensational run of goalscoring form since Ronaldo left United for Real in a then-world-record £80million transfer in 2009, but Neville feels he’s a different kind of player now.

While Ronaldo is now more of an out-and-out striker than he used to be, Neville insists he was at his best when he influenced games more between 2006 and 2008.

‘When he was at United, between 2006 and 2008, I still maintain that’s his best two football years as a football player, in terms of his contribution through the whole game,’ the former defender told Sky Sports.

‘Since he’s gone to Real Madrid he’s contributed enormously to everything they’ve done but he’s living more off moments rather than a contribution through a whole 90 minutes.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/19/crist...-manchester-united-says-gary-neville-6584053/

Put Ronaldo and Messi in the PL, and they will score a lot less. And that's nothing to do with how much better Real and Barcelona would be in the PL compared with other PL teams. Rather, it's primarily due to the fact that the PL is much more physical (but less technical) than others leagues, is faster paced, with a much smaller gap between the top 5 or 6 teams versus the bottom 5 or 6 teams, which all result in greater physical demands on players. As for "...but he would have still easily notched up 30+ hat-tricks with 50+ goals seasons..." (presumably you mean if he had remained with Man Utd in the PL ?)... not quite!

The physicality of the Premier League is overblown to be honest. Far inferior, less technical and less physical players than Ronaldo and Messi have come from La Liga to England and thrived. Premier League is no doubt more competitive but that doesn't necessarily translate into a higher level of competition. As far as Ronaldo not scoring 50+ in his peak years, I have no reason to believe that when a 22-23 year Ronaldo was able to score 42 goals in 2007-2008.

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] ^^^ Just to add.

This from Gary Neville who presumably is far more knowledgeable on this topic than anybody on this forum considering that they were teammates during the whole time C. Ronaldo was at Man United.

I don't think it is much relevant to this discussion though. Ronaldo in his peak years has appeared to be less of a team player because he has evolved into a pure goal-scorer. Nonetheless, what Neville and other United men say about Ronaldo and what the Barca players/managers say about Messi should always be taken with a grain of salt, because one cannot discount the natural bias. However, most neutral football experts would prefer the Ronaldo of 2010-2016 over the Ronaldo of 2005-2009.

My personal opinion of the best footballers in the last 50 years. (Apart from Pele, I've seen all the others play).

1. Maradona
2. Pele
3. Messi
4. Ronaldo
5. C. Ronaldo.

Great talent, but is he really worth the £161m that Real Madrid supposedly bid for him? I suppose it's fair enough, considering Kyle Walker went for £50m, but smaller teams will only become more irrelevant as player prices continue to spiral out of control.

Think it's best for him to stay at Monaco. The previous season was great for them, and the club's stock has risen a fair bit as a result.
He can continue to thrive in such an atmosphere, as an outrageous young talent. :messi

High quality talent in the making. Has everything to succeed. Obviously not worth the fee Real are willing to pay. But they will potentially secure themselves one of the best young players in the world.

Kylian Mbappe signs for Paris Saint-Germain from Monaco

Paris Saint-Germain have completed the signing of attacker Kylian Mbappe from Ligue 1 rivals Monaco.

Mbappe, 18, arrives initially on a season-long loan but PSG have an option to buy him on a permanent deal next summer.

Sources have told ESPN FC that the deal will be €180 million plus bonuses, making it the second-highest deal of all-time after PSG's €222m signing of Neymar from Barcelona earlier in the summer.

Mbappe made his name on the international footballing scene last season as part of a Monaco side that coach Leonardo Jardim led to the Ligue 1 title and the Champions League semifinals.

The striker, who did not become a regular starter under Jardim until the second half of the season, scored 15 goals and added a further eight assists from just 29 Ligue 1 appearances, starting 17 of those.

Mbappe added a further six goals from as many Champions League outings -- just three starts -- plus three goals from three Coupe de la Ligue appearances and two goals from three Coupe de France outings, making a total of 26 goals and eight assists from 41 appearances.

Monaco moved to reinforce their attack this week with the signing of forward Stevan Jovetic from Inter Milan and winger Keita Balde from Lazio.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/3190925/kylian-mbappe-signs-for-paris-saint-germain-from-monaco

Mbappe was the star man at Monaco, but he might be overshadowed by the likes of Neymar and Cavani at PSG. Should be interesting to see how this move works out.

Damn PSG is stacked.

Straight up clowning Ligue 1 right now.

14 GF and 2 GA in 4 matches. :))

Plus took out Monaco in the Trophée des Champions.

Watched the kid as he came on for last 10 mins against the Dutch tonight

Absolutely ran riot

Scored one but could have easily been 3

Think it's best for him to stay at Monaco. The previous season was great for them, and the club's stock has risen a fair bit as a result.
He can continue to thrive in such an atmosphere, as an outrageous young talent. :messi

Monaco's stadium only has a capacity of 12,000

That will be a turn off for any player aiming to be a top player

What a forward line France has!!!! This is after Benzema is unofficially banned & they didn't even put Dembele, Martial & Gameiro in show.
After that, Deschamps starts with his man crash - Giroud. Size does matter!!!!!

What a forward line France has!!!! This is after Benzema is unofficially banned & they didn't even put Dembele, Martial & Gameiro in show.
After that, Deschamps starts with his man crash - Giroud. Size does matter!!!!!

Gameiro is not in same class

As for Giroud one conspiracy doing the rounds is that he is playing to have some indigenous French representation

Monaco's stadium only has a capacity of 12,000

That will be a turn off for any player aiming to be a top player

I was mainly speaking in regard to how Monaco had outperformed PSG last year, which is a very rare occurrence as far as French teams are concerned.

I guess your stadium capacity point is valid. Anyway, as long as PSG's new-look, star-studded team doesn't have chemistry issues, they are bound to run riot in France and Europe.

Had this kid gone to Real, or Barca, he would have broken almost every scoring record. It's too easy out there if you are playing for top 2 sides - and that's without taking penalties. That run against Holland reminds me a Brazilian No. 9, nutmegging markers in & out, juggling ball between feet. And, this kid is good in air.

Gameiro is not in same class

As for Giroud one conspiracy doing the rounds is that he is playing to have some indigenous French representation

Gameiro is twice the forward than Oliver Giroud ever was. He still starts for Athletico Madrid & last year made the EUROPA team of the year. He is also indigenous French, but not backed by Deschamps.

There is Nabil Fekir as well & other Dembele is scoring freely at Celtic.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">18 - Kylian Mbappé has become the youngest scorer for Les Bleus (18 y 8 mo) since Georges Lech on 11 November 1963 (18 y 5 mo). Star. <a href="https://t.co/PTtNYaR0Hx">pic.twitter.com/PTtNYaR0Hx</a></p>— OptaJean (@OptaJean) <a href="https://twitter.com/OptaJean/status/903357700263878657">August 31, 2017</a></blockquote>

:mv

Had this kid gone to Real, or Barca, he would have broken almost every scoring record. It's too easy out there if you are playing for top 2 sides - and that's without taking penalties. That run against Holland reminds me a Brazilian No. 9, nutmegging markers in & out, juggling ball between feet. And, this kid is good in air.

Has that swagger to his game too.

Won't fold under pressure.

Has that swagger to his game too.

Won't fold under pressure.

Unreal talent. I saw him last year in EURO U19 - then & then wrote in a Liverpool Site to pre-contract him (he was yet to be 18, pre-contract was possible). Brit fans are delusional about their soccer talent & they envy the French players, so my post was, you know ..

This is 2nd time I am feeling the same in 16 years - back then, Hullier was offered a 16 years old Portuguese kid, who demanded money out of Liverpool's wage structure; Sir Alex broke his own structure & bought that kid.

Last edited:
Kylian Mbappe joins Paris St-Germain: Why an 18-year-old is worth £166m

Two summers ago, Kylian Mbappe was celebrating passing his French high school exams and preparing to play for Monaco in an under-19s tournament.

On Thursday, the 18-year-old striker joined Paris St-Germain - initially on loan - in a deal that will be worth 180m euros (£166m) by this time next year.

The France international became the hottest property in European football as he scored 26 goals in all competitions for the Ligue 1 champions last season.

But why has a teenager with just 46 first-team appearances and one full season behind him commanded a transfer fee usurped only by Neymar's 220m euro (£200m) move to PSG earlier this month?

Because Mbappe is the 'new Thierry Henry'

Arsenal were among the clubs reportedly keen on Mbappe, with boss Arsene Wenger likening the teenager to another Frenchman - one who joined the Gunners as a 21-year-old in 1999 and went on to become the club's record goalscorer.

"Mbappe has similarities to Thierry Henry," Wenger said earlier this year. "He has a huge talent.

"But of course, after that, what makes the career after is the mental aspect that Thierry had. This young boy has to show that he has similar qualities on the mental front that Thierry had."

Some similarities between Mbappe and Henry are obvious: both are graduates of France's Clairefontaine academy, both started their career at Monaco, and both won the Ligue 1 title as a teenager.

Mbappe also has blistering pace, likes to cut in from wide areas and possesses composure in front of goal. And, like Henry, he has attracted the attention of Europe's biggest clubs by scoring plenty of goals.

Unlike Henry, though, he is set to become the world's second most expensive player - and he is still in his teens.

Mbappe, who was born on the outskirts of Paris and started out at his local team AS Bondy, made his first-team debut for Monaco in December 2015.

Aged 16 years and 347 days, he became the youngest player in the club's history - beating the record set by Henry in 1994 - when he appeared as an 88th-minute substitute against Caen.

Three months later, he became the club's youngest scorer with his first senior goal against Troyes. Who set the previous record? Henry.

All this happened before he had even signed his first professional contract...

"Since he was very young, he was known everywhere in Europe as the prodigy," said French football writer Julien Laurens.

"At 11, Real Madrid invited him for the first time to train with their under-12s and visit the club's facilities. At 14, it was Chelsea's turn. And then PSG. He eventually chose Monaco."

Because he is living up to the hype

After helping France win the European Under-19 Championship in the summer of 2016, Mbappe returned to Monaco aiming to build on his breakthrough season and secure a more prominent role in the side.

Coach Leonardo Jardim started the teenager in the opening Ligue 1 match of the season against Guingamp but he was substituted before half-time because of injury.

His next start came on 21 October, scoring his first goal of the season in a 6-2 win against Montpellier, and he hit his first senior hat-trick two months later in a 6-0 win against Nancy.

But it was not until the start of 2017 that Mbappe started to score regularly.

Ten goals in nine matches, including one in each leg of their Champions League last-16 win over Manchester City, alerted a wider audience to his talents, and led to his first cap for France in a World Cup qualifier against Luxembourg in March.

His stock continued to rise as he scored three times in the Champions League quarter-final win over Borussia Dortmund, but his first-leg goal against Juventus was not enough to prevent a semi-final exit.

Mbappe also added five more league goals as Monaco won their first French title in 17 years, ending the season with more goals and assists combined than any of his team-mates.

Only PSG striker Edinson Cavani and Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette - who has since moved to Arsenal for £45m - had more of an impact in front of goal during the Ligue 1 season.

"When I watch him dribble, he's thinking. He thinks when he plays and that for me is the most important thing in a player. He uses his brain," Henry said. "That is the sign of a kid who can go a long way.

"I'd tell him to develop your brain and become a killer. Develop your brain, your intelligence and your movement. What can you see? When you watch a match, don't just watch the ball, watch the movement off the ball.

"Understand quickly who is weak in the match, who you should attack and who you shouldn't attack."

Because PSG are convinced he has the right character

If Mbappe stays at PSG for 10 seasons, scores hundreds of goals, leads them to multiple trophies and becomes a global superstar, it could prove to be a bargain.

But what happens if he does not settle? Or if he suffers a serious injury?

"We always tried before signing to know everything about a player," says Ramon Calderon, who - while working as Real Madrid president - was involved in the recruitment of several 'Galacticos'.

"We ask people who know him, how he behaves on and off the field. This is very important. We know they can come and be a failure if they don't adapt to the city or the club.

"Of course it is a risk that he is only 18. You can't ask anyone at 18 to be solid in the way he is going to behave in the future - you just don't know."

PSG will have done their research on Mbappe's character "by any means possible", according to Calderon, and the consensus from those who know the teenager is his feet remain firmly on the ground.

Last season, while he was lighting up the Champions League, the 18-year-old was still living in a room at Monaco's academy. His one luxury, it was said, was a TV with all the live football channels.

And, after Monaco effectively sealed the French title in May with a 2-0 over Saint-Etienne, Mbappe was asked if he was going out partying to celebrate. His response? "I'm going home to recover."

Because the transfer market is 'crazy'

When some of the world's best managers are queuing up to moan about over-inflated transfer fees, you know it is becoming an issue.

A record £1.4bn was spent by Premier League clubs in this window. Manchester City paid out more than £200m, but manager Pep Guardiola said he would "like to pay less for the club and for everybody".

Manchester United spent £146m, and manager Jose Mourinho said some fees were "amazing". And that was even before PSG committed to spending a combined £365m on Neymar and Mbappe.

Following Brazil forward Neymar's world-record move from Barcelona, Wenger described the accelerating inflation in transfer fees as "beyond calculations and rationality".

Mbappe's future fee represents a staggering 85% increase on the then-world record of £89m paid by Manchester United for Paul Pogba last summer.

Because PSG are willing to pay it

Supply and demand in a competitive market: Monaco wanted £166m and PSG - backed by the state-owned Qatar Sports Investments - were willing to pay it. Sounds pretty simple.

But why are the Parisians willing to pay such a fee for an inexperienced teenager?

Again, a pretty simple reason. Because the club's hierarchy think the outlay will be recouped through sponsorship, television rights and success on the pitch, says Calderon.

He was president at the Bernabeu between 2007 and 2009, laying the foundations for the then-world record signing of Cristiano Ronaldo before the £80m transfer was completed by his successor Florentino Perez in July 2009.

"Spending a lot of money or not depends on what the idea of the club is," Calderon said.

"Our idea at Madrid is to sign the best players, therefore you attract the main brands, the sponsors, the TV rights are higher, the friendly matches give us more money, we get more money for ticketing, and of course we get titles and the titles give us more money."

Clearly PSG, who have spent almost £850m since Qatar Sports Investments took over in 2011, are thinking the same.

Because they can 'get away' with it

Questions remain about PSG's financial model: how can they afford to spend a combined £366m in transfer fees alone on Mbappe and Neymar? And how can they get away with it under Uefa's financial fair play (FFP) rules?

Indeed, European football's governing announced on Friday it has opened a formal investigation into PSG as part of its "ongoing monitoring" of clubs.

PSG made a profit of 10m euros (£9.2m) on revenue of 520.9m euros (£389.6m at the time of conversion) in the 2015-16 financial year, according to the most recent figures published by Deloitte.

By FFP rules, clubs are only allowed to make a maximum loss of 30m euros over the three-year cycle between 2015-16 and 2017-18. So committing to a net sum of £366m on two players alone this summer - albeit Mbappe's fee would be paid next year - appears to put PSG in jeopardy of breaking those laws.

The six-time French champions have failed to meet FFP rules before - receiving a fine, a spending cap and only being allowed to register 21 players for the Champions League in 2014.

Kieran Maguire, a sport finance expert at the University of Liverpool, said he believes there are a number of ways in which PSG can balance the books to avoid a penalty.

These could include striking new deals with shirt manufacturers, improved commercial deals - possibly with Qatari companies paying premium sums - or part of the players' wages going through the books of another company.

"I'm fairly sure PSG will have employed lawyers and financial advisers to identify potential flaws, weaknesses and loopholes in FFP," Maguire says.

"There is nothing to stop Neymar and Mbappe agreeing to sign for 'only' £65,000 a week and simultaneously sign an ambassadorial role for a Qatari company for £300,000 or £400,000 a week," said Maguire.

"If this is the case only the £65,000 a week would go through PSG's accounts and FFP would be satisfied.

"Uefa's FFP inspectors have no authority, I suspect, to review the private deals struck by players with non-football commercial sponsors, so would not have access to these deals."

What is Financial Fair Play?

Financial fair play is about improving the overall financial health of European club football, according to Uefa

It was introduced in 2013 to stop clubs accumulating too much debt and to prevent wealthy owners from injecting too much cash into their clubs

The rules state that over a three-year period a club like PSG can spend 30m euros more than it earns

It is possible PSG have accumulated lots of profits over the past two years to make it easier for them to make such a big outlay in the current year

On-field penalties can include a points deduction, new signings being barred from playing in Uefa competition or disqualification from a Uefa competition

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40904612

But, CR won a Ballon D Orr at MU, the year he scored 42 goals, which is average for top 3/4 strikers in Spain every year, so he must be not that low that time.

I think, which player has done what in which league is a bit more than the quality of the league only - I can also name Morentes, Veron, Forlan, Falco ...... Pep Guardiola, even this guy Iago Aspas. Athletico needed a disputed penalty to pass 16th team in EPL ......

The goal scoring exploits of Ronaldo is is beyond La Liga for sure - he has done that in EPL & Pourtugal as well; not sure about Messi though, outside Barca...........

Ronado would have massacred English defences if he was still playing here

You also have to see that in Real he was developed differently. He was given a more central role and made to play higher up and esp in last 3-4 years, goals have been the only thing on his mind

Even in 2008 he was developing. Mind you in 2009 season he was injured for 1/4th of the season

Back