Lasith Malinga on the decline?

shaykh1985

First Class Captain
Runs
The guy is having a poor year atm...really looks quite ordinary at present...is it just bad form?, is he on the decline? or do batsman just play him better now?...

Below are his stats which show the big decline in 2012...

His ODI stats:

Matches: 11
Wickets: 18
Average: 20.50
Economy: 4.24
SR: 29

Matches: 24
Wickets: 48
Average: 19.25
Economy: 4.80
SR: 24

Matches: 28
Wickets: 44
Average: 31.61
Economy: 5.72
SR: 33.1

His T20I stats:

Matches: 9
Wickets: 11
Average: 20.72
Economy: 7.27
SR: 17

Matches: 2
Wickets: 3
Average: 15.66
Economy: 6.26
SR: 15

Matches: 6
Wickets: 5
Average: 29.20
Economy: 7.48
SR: 23.4

He is much like Tanvir. In the beginning no body could figure out his action. Now everyone knows how to read his action, a lot like Sohail Tanvir.

DEDUCT STATS VS INDIA, you will get your answer. His T20 record was never exactly to the level of Gul to be fair.

He is much like Tanvir. In the beginning no body could figure out his action. Now everyone knows how to read his action, a lot like Sohail Tanvir.

he has been around since 2004. so up to the end of 2011 he's a mystery and suddenly players are picking him?

Malinga>Tanvir when it comes to talent.

Therefore it takes more time for players to pick up his action.

:runaway:

dude do his states from day 1,, no 2010.
still reckon his hard to play but maybe not as lethal as 3 years ago,..

put his states up against kohli n he looks as bad as balagi

I think he is playing too much cricket, he looks fatigued and short of fitness. I have noticed his pace drop as well. Time for a refreshing break.

he gave up 3 runs in the 19th over to west indies who have some of the biggest hitters in world cricket

who else can do that

He's still a good bowler except against India. All the IPL practice helped them :yk

4-0-54-0 .. :p Played for Windies today in all important final :gul

Lasith Malinga - What a time to have one of the worst bowling figures?

Mathews: 4 overs 1/11
Kulasekara 3 overs 0/22
Malinga 4 overs 0/54
Mendis 4 overs 4/12
Dananjaya 3 overs 1/16
BM Mendis 2 overs 0/20

he's a wonderful bowler no doubt but he is the main reason why Sri Lanka lost today.

If he was Pakistani, he'd never be forgiven and be forever called a choker and crap bowler. SL will probably forgive him and he'll find bouncing back quite easy.

a bit sad to hear him get booed by some of the crowd at the presentation ceremony

The problem with Malinga is that he is predictable.

He's one dimensional. Batsmen now know what to expect, either a toe crushing yorker or a well disguised slow ball. Hard to deal with still (Ask England) but sadly, more often than not talented players like Samuels will work him out.

lol..one bad game and out comes the statisticians...

i dont need to see his numbers...he is still the best in the business...

Samuels played the knock of the decade...

Doubt that, Malinga has been carted often times since that Hobart debacle he'd been a part of earlier this year !

I would say since he gave up on test cricket to concentrate on the shorter format he hasn't been the same. Him and Gul have almost gone the same path.

You would do well to see when the thread was opened...

He's still a good bowler but he gives away much more runs now compared to say 2 or 3 years ago. I think batsmen are now a lot more confident attacking him and don't just look to defend.

Just look at how Fawad and Maqsood have played him today - no fear at all.

2 new ball rules + Samuels murdering him in the t20 final have resulted in this decline imo

Has declined but still a good bowler. Today wasn't the best game for death bowlers though, almost everyone got hit around.

Still a good bowler but i think quality batsman can give him a phainta now. He has put a lot of weight on visible belly. Has lost pace too bowls low to mid 130s his yorkers have lost their zip. Still Gun in T20s because of his variations.

Extremely predictable bowler, all he bowls are bouncers, medium paced yorkers or slower dipping deliveries. You do your homework on him and he should be easier to deal with

In recent times he has been either very good or very poor.

Check this in his last 15 ODIs, he has got two 5-ers, two 4 wicket hauls and two 3 wickets hauls in an ODI, that is 24 wickets in 6 matches. At the same time though, he has picked no wickets in 6 other ODIs! Age is catching up obviously and fitness is a concern but on his day is still a match winner.

And BTW he is right now the leading wicket taker in ODIs this year.

He should only play IPL THATS what he prefers anyway doesn't he.

Sent from my iPhone!

He looks unfit, needs a break to get himself fit again. His pace has dropped, used to bowl near 140s.

his belly is so big he would have to wear equator as a belt.

Yes he's steadily getting worse. He looks more unfit than he was before and he bowls in even shorter bursts than he used to before. He's also losing pace. Even after all that he can be quite impressive though.

Malinga has made enough money playing IPL and T20 all over the world. He could care less about being fat. He just plays international cricket for fun.

The 2 new ball rule has gone against him. He already has Knee issues and he continues to ignore his fitness. More upper body weight will only put more pressure on his delicate weaker knee. If Malinga goes into decline, he can only blame him for his fitness.

He looks unfit, needs a break to get himself fit again. His pace has dropped, used to bowl near 140s.

He could crank it up to the 150's a few years ago but those days are long gone. His fastest was around 155-156.

I guess he is eating too much paav bhaji and vada paav these days. He needs to stay fit otherwise he won't even last in T20's.

Gone the Gul way. A lethal bowler at his best and one of the best in limited overs after 2007 was he.

Well, he's at that age where fast bowlers start declining

he's also played a ton of cricket the last 4 years, its only a matter of time till he starts burning out

He seems to be struggling for pace these days - perhaps that is down to his (lack of) fitness?

The commentators make a good point when they say dealing with a Malinga yorker at 130-135kph is way easier than at 142-145kph.

He seems to be struggling for pace these days - perhaps that is down to his (lack of) fitness?

The commentators make a good point when they say dealing with a Malinga yorker at 130-135kph is way easier than at 142-145kph.

He's completely dropped off.

People figured out his slinging action and with less pace it's very easy to read it now.

A Pakistan bully these days. Other teams cart him around for fun.

Was always a one dimensional bowler

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

Malinga On The Decline?

The only hope that may revive him is if he works on his fitness. Seriously!

Sri Lanka’s 2015 World Cup preparations suffered a jolt with Lasith Malinga travelling to Australia on Saturday (September 20) to undergo an ankle surgery which could put him out of action for up to 16 weeks.

Malinga will be racing against the clock to get fit, and might only be able to resume training as late as a one or two weeks before Sri Lanka begin their World Cup campaign with a fixture against New Zealand in Christchurch on February 14.

“Malinga will leave for Australia on Saturday morning as we are keen to see him recover as early as possible for the World Cup,” Sanath Jayasuriya, Sri Lanka’s chief selector, told Daily Mirror. “Obviously, he is one of the most crucial players for Sri Lanka’s chances.”

Malinga is expected to miss the seven-match One-Day International series at home against England, which starts on November 26, as well as the seven-match ODI series away against New Zealand, which starts on January 11.

“We hope he will be able to play a few matches against New Zealand as it is important to get match fitness before World Cup starts,” said Jayasuriya.

Malinga, who played three games for Mumbai Indians in the Oppo Champions League Twenty20 2014 before they were knocked out in the qualifiers, will undergo the arthroscopy surgery on his left ankle immediately upon his arrival at The Avenue Private Hospital in Melbourne. He will remain in the country for at least two weeks after the operation to recuperate.

According to Steve Mount, Sri Lanka’s physiotherapist, Malinga has suffered “a long term issue with chronic left ankle pain due to a combination of cartilage degeneration, excessive bone in the joint, and bone marrow ocedema.”

The pace bowler has been taking anti-inflammatory injections as a short-term treatment, but didn’t respond well to the injection taken on September 5. “He has reported an increasing amount of pain while bowling and running over the last couple of weeks,” explained Mount. “While previously the issue has been manageable, this latest episode has not allowed him to bowl/run at his required intensity.

“This issue has been discussed with the player, chairman of selectors, coach, captain and team manager. We all agree that the main aim should be to give Malinga the best chance of being fully fit for the World Cup in February next year.”

Mount further explained that if the surgery is successful, Malinga would be able to return to bowling at full intensity in 16 weeks and it was imperative that he be assessed as soon as possible.

Malinga is no stranger to injury and has been down the rehabilitation road once before. A long-standing degenerative condition in his right knee forced him to retire from Test matches in April 2011. Malinga’s surgeon and the team physiotherapist informed him that his condition would deteriorate if he was bowling or fielding for an extended duration so in order to prolong his career, he gave up the longer format.

Sri Lanka became the World T20 champions under Malinga’s captaincy earlier this year, but last won the 50-over World Cup in 1996. The team, however, did come close to replicating that feat in the last two editions, but finished as runners-up in 2007 and 2011.

http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-news/surgery-malinga-world-cup/127434

A world class death bowler, no doubt about that. Only a few players have played him with ease. I personally am allways worried about how to cope with him when Pakistan play SL. It is only in the last series Ahmed Shehzad played him comfortably but he has lost his pace.

And he wont be any fitter after 4 months out of action, needs to control his diet in that periode and work hard on his fitness.

According to Steve Mount, Sri Lanka’s physiotherapist, Malinga has suffered “a long term issue with chronic left ankle pain due to a combination of cartilage degeneration, excessive bone in the joint, and bone marrow ocedema.”

The pace bowler has been taking anti-inflammatory injections as a short-term treatment, but didn’t respond well to the injection taken on September 5. “He has reported an increasing amount of pain while bowling and running over the last couple of weeks,” explained Mount. “While previously the issue has been manageable, this latest episode has not allowed him to bowl/run at his required intensity.
http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-news/surgery-malinga-world-cup/127434

And yet he still chose to play for Mumbai - madness!

However, hopefully this will put an end to those uninformed commentators who claim he dumped Test cricket when he didn't need to. His knee has been troublesome for years and now his ankle is breaking down. And despite all of this he has represented his country 260+ times. So all credit to him.

Last edited:
Lasith Malinga may miss 2015 World Cup

lasith-malinga-2011-4-1-8-0-49.jpg

Sri Lanka's aspirations for next year's cricket world cup received a massive hit yesterday as the country's biggest weapon Lasith Malinga has been dispatched to Australia this morning to undergo a surgery which according to the doctors would keep the star bowler out of action for at least 16 weeks.

This means that 'slinger' will only be able to resume his full training and practice just about a week or two before the World Cup which starts in New Zealand and Australia on February 14 next year.

"Malinga will leave for Australia on Saturday morning as we are keen to see him recover as early as possible for the World Cup. Obviously, he is one of the most crucial players for Sri Lanka's chances," Sri Lanka Chief selector Sanath Jayasuriya told Daily Mirror.

The recently appointed Sri Lanka T20 captain is certain to miss Sri Lanka's home series against England who will play seven One Day Internationals from November 26 to December 16. In all probability, Malinga is also likely to miss almost all matches in the way ODI series against New Zealand who would also play seven ODIs from January 11 to 29 next year.

"We hope he will be able to play a few matches against New Zealand as it is important to get match fitness before World Cup starts," Jayasuriya said.

Malinga will undergo an Arthroscopy surgery in his left ankle under renowned surgeon Dr. David Young at "The Avenue' Private Hospital in Melbourne immediately after reaching Australia and will remain in teh country approximately for two weeks after the operation under medical advcie.

Sri Lanka team's physiotherapist Steve Mount has revealed that Malinga has suffered a 'long term issue with chronic left ankle pain' due to 'a combination of cartilage degeneration, excessive bone in the joint, and bone marrow ocedema."

Malinga had been receiving anti-inflammatory injections when the issue had flared up in the past, but the bowler's troublesome ankle had failed to response to the treatment after an injection on September 5; giving an indication that it required serious attention.

"Up until this point, this has been successfully managed with conservative, non-operative measures. This includes ongoing physio/rehab/load management and anti-inflammatory (cortisone) injections into the joint when the issue has flared up.

He has reported an increasing amount of pain while bowling and running over the last couple of weeks. While previously the issue has been manageable, this latest episode has not allowed him to bowl/run at his required intensity. He had an injection on the 5/9, however, unlike past episodes, this has failed to reduce his symptoms," Mount wrote.

It also offers a clear explanations for the mystery of record breaking bowler's below average performances in the recent times in contrast to his lofty career achievements as Malinga would have been forced to bowl with retrain to manage the ankle condition in question.

“This issue has been discussed with the player, chairman of selectors, coach, captain and team manager. We all agree that the main aim should be to give Malinga the best chance of being fully fit for the World Cup in February next year” Mount had added.

Mount had recommended Dr. Young, who has been helping many Sri Lankan cricketers in the past as the best choice to offer treatment to Malinga’s condition. “Dr Young is familiar with Lasith's condition, and has previously been one of the doctors who has settled the issue with a cortisone injection”

Mount also offered an expected time frame for Malinga to resume training and then start full-training.

“If Dr Young decides that surgery is indicated, the approximate time frame until returning to bowling at 100% intensity is 16 weeks (running starts at about 8 weeks). This takes us to early / mid January, where he will then have a month of full practice prior to the start of the World Cup. Given the time frame, the sooner we can get Lasith to be assessed by Dr Young the better” stated Mount.

“This particular surgery requires a high level of expertise. Dr Young has done a number of similar operations on both Australian and Sri Lankan fast bowlers, and has a track record of very good outcomes. Given his expertise in the area, and his familiarity with Lasith's condition, I think he is the most appropriate person for Lasith to consult” Mount had added.

The latest issue will also be a huge blow to Malinga who retired from Test cricket in April 2011 due to a long-standing degenerative condition in the right knee that almost threatened to nip his amazing career in the bud.

"Although I am sufficiently fit to play both ODI and T20 cricket, I have a long-standing degenerative condition in my right knee that needs to be carefully managed," Malinga's said in a statement when he retired from Tests.

"The condition relates directly to the chronic knee injury I sustained playing for Sri Lanka in Australia back in February 2008, an injury that prevented me from playing ODI cricket for 16 months.

"The injury was a career-threatening injury and my orthopaedic surgeon was of the opinion that given his experience with other professional athletes in Australia I was very fortunate to play again. I have since been advised by the national team physiotherapist and my orthopaedic consultant that my condition will deteriorate when fielding or bowling for prolonged periods” explained the bowler.

Malinga also injured his left ankle during the 2007 World Cup in West Indies and missed some matches in the final stages of the tournament, however it was not clear immediately if his present condition is directly related to that injury.

Source : dailymirror

Considering how interminably long modern World Cups have been, he could have an operation with a 16 week recovery period a day before the tournament began and he'd still only miss a few matches against Mozambique, Vietnam and El Salvador and be back a month before the proper matches start.

I wonder whether they have even sold 100 tickets for Afghanistan v Bangladesh and Zimbabwe v UAE?

Ireland v UAE in Brisbane could probably not sell out a telephone box, let alone the 42,000 seats at the Gabba!

Considering how interminably long modern World Cups have been, he could have an operation with a 16 week recovery period a day before the tournament began and he'd still only miss a few matches against Mozambique, Vietnam and El Salvador and be back a month before the proper matches start.

I wonder whether they have even sold 100 tickets for Afghanistan v Bangladesh and Zimbabwe v UAE?

Ireland v UAE in Brisbane could probably not sell out a telephone box, let alone the 42,000 seats at the Gabba!

Apparently some of the minnow matches like Bangladesh Afghanistan and ireland are selling really well.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Malinga to fly home tomorrow.. If all goes to plan should be able to ditch the crutches in about 2 weeks.. So far so good though</p>— Russel Arnold (@RusselArnold69) <a href="https://twitter.com/RusselArnold69/status/516512544702226432">September 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good news for us. He may not be as lethal as he once was but he is so reliable in big match situations. We'll need that experience in the World Cup.

Good news for us. He may not be as lethal as he once was but he is so reliable in big match situations. We'll need that experience in the World Cup.

Don't think he can be effective in Australia, lost a fair amount of pace.

How is he not called.

With his action its impossible to legally bowl bouncers or anything not at a full length

Don't think he can be effective in Australia, lost a fair amount of pace.

He may not have the same pace that he once had but he doesn't really need it to become lethal in Australia. Due to his slingy action, he get's natural swing which will be made even more effective on Aussie wickets.

With the sizeable ex pat Irish population I'd expect some to turn up. Too bad we didnt get many games in the big cities.

Besides if ticket sales meant anything Bangladesh and Nepal would be kings of cricket.

How is he not called.

With his action its impossible to legally bowl bouncers or anything not at a full length
You are completely clueless, show us a video of him actually chucking, he does not

World be a good news for Sri Lanka if he doesn't play in the world cup!
They should try other fast bowlers.

Malinga's world cup performance was nothing to shout home about. He did well against Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Scotland but struggled against England, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.

And he's now played 3 matches in this years IPL and clearly looks below par.

Malinga is still only 31 however he still looks so unfit. He could do with taking a break from all cricket for a month or 2 and doing some intense fitness training. In the long run it will probably lengthen his career.

Malinga's world cup performance was nothing to shout home about. He did well against Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Scotland but struggled against England, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.

And he's now played 3 matches in this years IPL and clearly looks below par.

Malinga is still only 31 however he still looks so unfit. He could do with taking a break from all cricket for a month or 2 and doing some intense fitness training. In the long run it will probably lengthen his career.

He pretty much needs what you suggested.

I think he's finished. Btw, is he Sri Lanka's second best pacer ever?

I think he's finished. Btw, is he Sri Lanka's second best pacer ever?

Yes.

He has 101 test wickets but then he only played 30 tests. The only Sri Lankans to have taken more are Murali, Vaas and Herath.

And he's number 4 in the odi list too (283 and counting) - only Murali, Vaas and Sanath have more.

Yes.

He has 101 test wickets but then he only played 30 tests. The only Sri Lankans to have taken more are Murali, Vaas and Herath.

And he's number 4 in the odi list too (283 and counting) - only Murali, Vaas and Sanath have more.

Can't believe that an inoccuous sort of a bowler like sanath has the number of eickets that he has. What's even more shocking is that a bowler like malinga might not be able to eclipse his tally.

Can't believe that an inoccuous sort of a bowler like sanath has the number of eickets that he has. What's even more shocking is that a bowler like malinga might not be able to eclipse his tally.

The same reason Afridi has more wickets than Imran Khan and Waqar Younis. Longevity

Malinga has lost it. His pace is down and his yorkers dont have the same venom any more. He was never good with the new ball and the two new ball rule have hurt bowlers like him n wahab who rely on reverse swing.

Back