Liverpool FC | 2024/25 Season

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The 2024–25 season is Liverpool Football Club's 133rd season in their history of and their 63rd consecutive season in the top flight of English football. In addition to the domestic league, the club will also participate in the FA Cup, the EFL Cup and the UEFA Champions League.

Liverpool Fixtures​

1720875697864.png

1720875715261.png

1720875743390.png

Jarell Quansah outlines aims for 2024-25: 'I want to kick on and improve'​

The centre-half's emergence for the Reds in 2023-24 saw him make 33 appearances in all competitions and receive widespread recognition.

It culminated in being called up to the England squad for the first time as he joined part of their build-up to Euro 2024.

Quansah wanted to reflect on those personal achievements during his summer break – but instead found himself striving for ways to develop further.

He told Liverpoolfc.com: "I was waiting for the moment for it to click and stuff like that, but I don't think I'm going to get used to what happened last season. I'm always a person who wants to improve and kick on.

"I look at the positives and the negatives, and I just try to take it all in and try to improve for the next season really. That's what my reflecting sort of told me – it was just about how to kick on and how to be the best version of myself.

"It's more of the same and to just keep improving. Like I said before, try to be the best version of myself and just keep getting better and better on the training pitch and being a sponge and taking everything around me that I can."

Quansah is now in his second week of pre-season training and growing more accustomed to the demands of Arne Slot with each session.

The 21-year-old believes the playing style the new head coach is looking to implement is a perfect match for his attributes.

On adjusting to Slot's tactical ideas, Quansah continued: "To be fair, I've had to do that in the past few seasons. It's not too much different.

"You always have to impress and there's always different styles they have to implement and you have to get used to. It's just adapting to that really and trying to implement his game plan.

"It's good. I think a lot of my strengths can be shown in the system he likes to play. Obviously I like playing with the ball as well, so I think what the gaffer likes to do is a lot that I like. But there's still a lot to improve on."

A new era brings excitement for Quansah and his teammates as they continue to gear up for the start of the competitive action at Ipswich Town on August 17.

"There's so much to look forward to," the No.78 stated. "We had a great year last year and I think there's a lot of positives we can look back at.

"Moving to this season, although it's a new coach and a new style of play, I think it'll suit us and it's times to be excited for."

Szoboszlai goal gives Slot first win as Liverpool boss​

Arne Slot earned his first win as Liverpool manager with a 1-0 victory over Real Betis courtesy of an excellent Dominik Szoboszlai finish in Pittsburgh.

The Reds were beaten 1-0 by Preston, external in a behind-closed-doors friendly at their training ground earlier this month but the post-Jurgen Klopp era is now up and running with their first win on their US tour.

Hungarian midfielder Szoboszlai opened the scoring after 34 minutes by sweeping in Mohamed Salah's through ball, while Betis striker Juanmi missed two chances in front of 42,679 fans.

Liverpool lost midfielder Curtis Jones on the half hour mark with Slot saying it was too early to say how bad the injury was.

The Reds face Arsenal in Philadelphia on Thursday and then take on Manchester United in Columbia on Sunday, 4 August.

Slot has taken over from Klopp, who was in charge for nine years, and the German's often dubbed 'heavy metal football' looked a little more soft rock under their new Dutch manager.

The changes in the style of play came in a fluid 4-2-4 formation and the Reds played without a striker.

Again, it was partly down to the limited personnel, but Klopp's gegenpressing style turned into a slower possession-based approach, typically favoured by Johan Cruyff-influenced Dutch coaches.

Slot delivered his instructions at the Pittsburgh Steelers's half-full Acrisure Stadium while constantly stood in the technical area and moved players into position with hand gestures and measured shouts.

Harvey Elliot and Szoboszlai took turns playing in the attacking midfielder number 10 role, so Liverpool were effectively without a striker for the majority of the game.

"I think during the season you will see us playing with a real striker but at this moment we have no-one with Darwin [Nunez] unavailable," Slot said.

"We played with two number 10s and put them in the position they will play during the season. That was maybe out of necessity.

"But for the rest of the style of play, we tried to build from the back, that is our style to control the game, not concede constant counter attacks.

"That will hopefully be our style during the season and there were also many things we can improve but that's normal after two weeks."

It looked similar to the unenforced but successful tactical approach taken by Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag in the FA Cup final, with Bruno Fernandes up front in the win against Manchester City.

For Liverpool, it worked well given they had so few senior players. They dominated early on with shots from Fabio Carvalho, Salah and Wataru Endo, albeit from difficult positions. Elliot then scuffed the first real chance from a good Conor Bradley cutback, before Szoboszlai's goal.

The second half was more of a non-event for the spectators as a host of youngsters disrupted the rhythm. Nabil Fekir hit the side netting from a good free-kick position and Carvalho had a shot saved by former Liverpool goalkeeper Adrian before coming off.

But it was an important exercise in fitness building, and introducing Slot's style to his players, the supporters and football world before the new Premier League season starts.

Defender Bradley was the pick of the starters, linking well with Salah on the right flank and created the majority of the best chances.

Meanwhile, Carvalho, fresh from a loan spell at Hull City, looked determined to impress with a number of dangerous moments.

There was ultimately a total change in line up as youthful substitutes Trey Nyoni, Vítezslav Jaros, Tyler Morton, Harvey Blair, Ben Doak, Luke Chambers, Nat Phillips, Luca Stephenson, Owen Beck, Stefan Bajetic, Kaide Gordon and Lewis Koumas all came on in the second half.

Nyoni, 17, excelled as the first of the youngsters coming on for an injured Curtis Jones. He dictated the play in the middle of the pitch and also created a big chance for Blair.

The youthful squad was down to Liverpool's policy to give their players from Euro 2024 and Copa America their full recommended three-week holiday, as dictated by players' union FIFPro, when many rivals cut them short.

Ibrahim Konate and Diogo Jota will return early, however, having had minimal involvement for their national teams.

The midfielder highlighted just how much he is enjoying Slot's approach before kick-off but he came off injured in the 28th minute and went straight down the tunnel.

After the match, Slot played down concerns about Jones' fitness saying: "I think it's too early to tell [how bad it is]. He maybe could have played on, but I think maybe you could see he was not at 100%."

Liverpool reject Marseille's £11.8m offer for Endo

Liverpool have rejected a bid worth £11.8m from Marseille for midfielder Wataru Endo.

The Japan international, 31, joined Liverpool on a four-year deal from Stuttgart for about £16.2m last August.

He made 43 appearances, including 20 Premier League starts, and won the League Cup in his debut season at Anfield.

Marseille are managed by Roberto de Zerbi, who came up against Endo as Brighton boss last season.

The Reds are also aware of further interest in the defensive player from other German clubs.

Liverpool are yet to make a signing this summer following the arrival of manager Arne Slot.

BBC

Liverpool are undergoing 'post-Klopp reset'

Liverpool chief executive Billy Hogan says the club are undergoing a "post-Jurgen Klopp reset" under new head coach Arne Slot and the Reds' revamped football structure.

The club have implemented several changes behind the scenes at Anfield since Klopp, who won seven major honours in nine years, announced his departure in January.

Slot, 45, has replaced the German but Liverpool's parent company, Fenway Sports Group (FSG), has brought back former executives Michael Edwards and Julian Ward, who left in 2022, to build a new structure overseeing strategy for principle owner John W. Henry and the organisation's president Mike Gordon.

Hogan, who leads the business operation on Merseyside, told BBC Sport that Klopp's departure has "provided an opportunity for a reboot or reset and maybe to look at how things operate going forward."

Hogan, who is known to have a close personal bond with Klopp, added: "Jurgen departing was a seismic decision but clearly the right decision for him and his family, so by extension the right decision for the club.

"He was very clear about leaving the club in a better place than where he found it and I think he has done that. The timing of his announcement gave us an opportunity to go through a proper process."

Behind the scenes, Liverpool have appointed Richard Hughes from Bournemouth as the sporting director and Pedro Marques from Benfica as the technical director, which Hogan says will bring "new energy and vision."

Hughes and Marques will focus solely on transfers and supporting Slot but FSG will continue to explore a multi-club structure after insurmountable issues caused talks with French club Bordeaux to collapse.

Hogan said it was "sad" Bordeaux have filed for bankruptcy as alternative options are "something being looked at by Michael Edwards".

On financial controls within the Premier League, Hogan said Liverpool remain committed to strong rules.

"I think it is important that the rules have teeth and if clubs fall foul of that then the Premier League has a process to go through. We are supportive of those rules and being sustainable," he said.

But he backed the different interests within the league to find an alternative solution to Premier League profit and sustainability regulations as rules closer to UEFA's are being discussed.

"We are trying to find the best way to operate for all of us going forward," he continued.

"We have the most competitive and global league, and it's important we keep it that way."

Liverpool are among 10 clubs on tour of the United States, with others travelling to Asia or around Europe, and he addressed the environmental impact of such tours, which were detailed in BBC Sport's recent report.

"We have the foundation event here in Philadelphia with a group of people engaging with our supporters and bringing the club out to markets and supporters who may not get the opportunity to come to Anfield or Liverpool. In terms of the overall environmental impact, that's something we take very seriously."

Liverpool next face Arsenal in Philadelphia before taking on Manchester United in South Carolina to end their US tour.

BBC

Joe Gomez could force Liverpool to make transfer after £45m deal collapsed at 11th hour

Liverpool may have to enter the market for a new defender if Joe Gomez does opt to pursue a transfer away from Anfield.

The England defender has been at the club since 2015 but has been unable to establish himself as an obvious starter and a desire for more game time is keeping his mind open. Joel Matip has just left but the emergence of Jarell Quansah to play alongside Virgil van Dijk means competition remains strong.

Gomez's versatility has long been a major asset for him and the Reds, but he was linked with a switch to Newcastle. The Magpies remain keen and the 27-year-old was potentially going to be part of a £45million deal that would've seen Anthony Gordon head to Anfield.

That move collapsed but Gomez's remains open minded about finding a new employer - where he could command regular minutes. If that were to materialise then Liverpool would likely up their recruitment for a new defender.

A potential medical was being prepared during the Euros ahead of Gomez's switch to Newcastle and, according to the Daily Mail, England teammates noted how the defender was happy at the chance of regular football in his favoured position of right sided centre back.

Newcastle's desire to pursue the deal was due to financial concerns around PSR but they pulled the plug at the eleventh hour. They found alternative solutions by selling Yankuba Minteh to Brighton and Elliot Anderson to Nottingham Forest and the Gordon-Gomez deal was called off.

Liverpool, who are yet to make a signing under Arne Slot, had defensive reinforcements lower down on their list of priorities but any departure would likely force them to change their approach in the market.

Crystal Palace star Marc Guehi is a player the Reds retain an interest in, but have yet to make any move for. The ex-Chelsea defender has continued to blossom at Selhurst Park and was one of England's leading lights at the Euros having been promoted to a starting berth.

Another player Liverpool could see depart is Dutchman Sepp van den Berg. The defender has been serially loaned out and continued to develop, most recently playing at Mainz in Germany. The Reds have placed a £20m price tag on the player, who has spoken out publicly about his future.

Couple of decent pre-season friendlies under our belt. From the highlights I've seen it seems there's more emphasis on patient buildup play under Slot.

Basically going back to our possession football roots under Shankly and Paisley. Might suit some players more than others.

The two goals were class but thought Tsimikas got turned too easily for Arsenal's goal.

Couple of decent pre-season friendlies under our belt. From the highlights I've seen it seems there's more emphasis on patient buildup play under Slot.

Basically going back to our possession football roots under Shankly and Paisley. Might suit some players more than others.

The two goals were class but thought Tsimikas got turned too easily for Arsenal's goal.

I thought we lost possession to easily last season & got caught often. Slot has a good style of play , let’s see if the players can adapt quickly . Ipswich away first up may be tricky as they attack at home .

Liverpool reject Southampton offer for Carvalho​

Liverpool have rejected an offer worth about £15m from Southampton for Fabio Carvalho.

It is believed Southampton have had a long-standing interest in the 21-year-old forward, but their bid falls significantly short of what the Reds would want to sanction a permanent move.

Carvalho has impressed during Liverpool’s pre-season tour in the United States, having scored in wins against Arsenal and Manchester United.

New Liverpool manager Arne Slot believes he can use him in his 4-2-3-1 formation unless a substantial offer convinces Liverpool to sell.

With the amount of players joining up late with his squad, Slot has been able to asses his young players and Carvalho, along with defender Sepp van den Berg, have stood out.

However, Carvalho may still find first-team opportunities limited when the rest of the Premier League club’s players, including forwards Luis Diaz, Darwin Nunez and Cody Gakpo, return from extended breaks after the Copa America and Euro 2024.

Other clubs have also expressed an interest in Carvalho, who spent last season on loan at RB Leipzig and Hull City.

He scored nine goals in 20 games for the Tigers and another loan move would be considered a last resort.

Only a friendly but 3-0 over Utd but more importantly Slots formation & possession football is pretty good to watch .

Liverpool are exploring a move for Real Sociedad midfielder Martin Zubimendi as they look to make their first signing under new manager Arne Slot

Zubimendi was part of the Spain squad that won Euro 2024 and came on as a second-half substitute for Manchester City's Rodri when his country beat England 2-1 in the final.

The 25-year-old has been at Sociedad since 2011 and has a release clause worth €60m (£51.5m).

Zubimendi helped Sociedad finish sixth in La Liga last season, scoring four times in 31 league appearances.

The Spanish club also reached the last 16 of the Champions League in 2023-24 before they were beaten by Paris St-Germain.

Zubimendi would be the first arrival under Slot, who took over at the Anfield club following the departure of Jurgen Klopp.

Zubimendi has previously spoken, external of his admiration for ex-Spain international Xabi Alonso and occupies the same holding midfield position his fellow countryman did.

Alonso also came through the ranks as a player at Sociedad before joining Liverpool in 2004.

More recently, Alonso was in charge of Sociedad's B team before going on to become manager of German club Bayer Leverkusen.

Source: BBC

Just what is Trent Alexander-Arnold's best position?

It is a question pondered by fans, pundits and managers and, as the 25-year-old prepares for Liverpool's 2024-25 campaign, all eyes will be on new manager Arne Slot's answer.

He has spent the majority of his senior career with the Reds at right-back but, with lingering doubts over his defending, some believe he should be used in midfield - where he has lined up for England in six of his last seven starts.

Former England defender Gary Neville has described Alexander-Arnold as a generational talent, while ex-England boss Gareth Southgate said he has "as good a passing range as anybody in world football".

Alexander-Arnold was absent for Liverpool's tour of America but started Sunday's final pre-season friendly against Sevilla at right-back - a position youngster Conor Bradley has also impressed in.

But, with his contract expiring in the summer and persistent links to Real Madrid, is it time to utilise Alexander-Arnold in a more regular advanced role?

"He'd played in midfield in Pep Lijnders' Under-16s, at the base of the diamond," Tim Jenkins, a former analyst and assistant coach for Liverpool Under-21s, tells BBC Sport about Alexander-Arnold's early development.

"He was right in the middle of the pitch and involved in everything.

"When he went into the Under-18s with Neil Critchley, they started to help him use his physical attributes a bit, so he played on the outside as a right winger or a right full-back.

"And before the Under-16s, he'd played as a centre-half and a full-back for Michael Beale in the Under-15s age group."

It was with Critchley, now Blackpool manager, and his Under-18s side that Alexander-Arnold's transition into a right-back accelerated.

Before the 2016-17 season, aged just 17, he trained with the first team during pre-season.

"I remember he had a real purple patch after he'd done pre-season with the first team then came back to play with the Under-21s," says Jenkins, who is now assistant head coach at Wolverhampton Wanderers.

"We played one game against Leicester at home and Jurgen [Klopp] came to watch. We were 4-0 up before half-time and he'd created everything from the right. He looked like he'd gone up three or four levels.

"A week later, we played Tottenham away and it was the same again. He was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. He scored a goal from long distance in that game. It wasn't too long after that he made his debut for the first team in the League Cup."

In January 2017, Alexander-Arnold made his first Premier League start in a 1-1 draw with Manchester United.

"That whole season he'd been building up to that moment," Jenkins says. "He had real momentum about what he was doing."

"The game has evolved now," says former Liverpool, Blackburn Rovers and Republic of Ireland player Jason McAteer, who, like Alexander-Arnold, played as a right-back and a central midfielder during his career.

"Today's full-back is a lot more like a wing-back. You've got to get forward. You've got to get balls into the box. And you have this hybrid role where you come into midfield.

"Trent has got that many attributes that you've got to get him into the team. You look at Trent now and he's grown up, he's evolved."

That evolution has seen Alexander-Arnold's influence at Anfield grow. With a range of passing, vision and creativity honed during his past as a midfielder, his unique skillset has allowed him to become a playmaker from full-back.

In the 2018-19 season - the first campaign in which he started more than half of Liverpool’s Premier League games - Alexander-Arnold registered 12 assists, the third-highest tally in the top flight.

His 13 assists the following season was second only to Kevin de Bruyne, and only team-mate Mohamed Salah bettered his tally of 12 for the 2021-22 campaign.

Last season, Alexander-Arnold's average of 5.25 shot-creating actions per 90 minutes in the Premier League and Europa League ranked in the 99th percentile among full-backs in Europe's top five divisions.

He was also in the 99th percentile when it came to expected assisted goals per 90 (0.37) and passes attempted (87.71) and the 98th percentile for progressive passes (8.69).

He ranked eighth among outfielders in the Premier League for total successful long passes (147) and third for switches of play (32).

"If you look at the assists from earlier in his career, they came from wide," Jenkins says. "More recently, he's been able to move inside into the half-space and deliver from there. Trent has had an ideal skillset to adapt to how the game has changed.

"If you see footage of him playing when he was little, he was basically the same player. You'd see all the driving runs, the physical attributes, his ball-striking and his passing over distance. He's just adapted his strengths into whatever position he plays."

"I started as a right-back and progressed into playing on the right wing," McAteer says of his own transition into midfield.

"When Bruce Rioch came to Bolton, I evolved into a centre-midfielder. I quickly had to learn that your head has got to be on a swivel, that the whole pitch is in play.

"You have to learn how to play with your back to play, how to open your body up and how to make runs to lose your marker and finish chances when they come along.

"Reading the game is a big thing for a central midfielder, knowing where you are on the pitch."

Those are all attributes Alexander-Arnold possesses. His distinctive approach to the full-back role, taking up positions near the middle of the pitch, gives him a leg-up when it comes to starting as a midfielder.

It was understandable, then, that Southgate deployed the Liverpool player centrally at Euro 2024 given he lacked an obvious midfield partner for Declan Rice.

McAteer, though, believes Alexander-Arnold was set up to struggle in Germany.

"We look at him as this passing genius, great with the ball at his feet and creative," he says.

"But in the modern game you need to be protected. I think with England he was hung out to dry a bit.

"His qualities are there to be seen, but you can be exposed. Time and space are your best mates in football. If you're not given that by the player alongside you, defending and taking players away, you're not going to flourish.

"Trent's weakest attribute is his defending and he was playing as a deep-lying midfielder. He was great on the ball, but without it he was exposed and he became a bit of a scapegoat."

In a press conference in June, Slot - who tends to play a 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3 formation, was asked directly about where he planned to play Alexander-Arnold, but declined to answer.

"I think that hybrid full-back role is still his best position, where he can roll into the inside of the pitch," Jenkins adds.
"He can be a full-back when you haven't got the ball and a midfielder when you have.

"Klopp would say that sometimes Trent will be on the outside, sometimes he'll be on the inside – wherever he is, he’s just going to be Trent."

Zubi dubi do. Another player rejects liver-no-pull

Add that to other high profile players.
JUDE
caicedo
Enzo
Lavia
Managers to... Oh dear

Most of successful club in England can't attract top players... It's an odd one

Do Liverpool fans just hang out in the Arsenal thread then?

Talk to me.

Actually I have a genuine question... When was the last time a big player who was sought after by many clubs chose to Join Liverpool?

No banter... Genuine question so please don't reply with the default "where are Arsenal's champions leagues" 🤪🤪.

Do Liverpool fans just hang out in the Arsenal thread then?

Talk to me.

Actually I have a genuine question... When was the last time a big player who was sought after by many clubs chose to Join Liverpool?

No banter... Genuine question so please don't reply with the default "where are Arsenal's champions leagues" 🤪🤪.

Lol he refused arsenal much quicker .

Hes decent but not PL proven in a very tough no 6 position in this league. Not a huge blow at all .

Liverpool have a good squad . I expect it will be city & then Liverpool & Arsenal fighting for 2nd . Liverpool may go far in the CL tho , we have pedigree in this cup .

Lol he refused arsenal much quicker .

Hes decent but not PL proven in a very tough no 6 position in this league. Not a huge blow at all .

Liverpool have a good squad . I expect it will be city & then Liverpool & Arsenal fighting for 2nd . Liverpool may go far in the CL tho , we have pedigree in this cup .
You avoided my question.

I'm honestly trying to think of some players but I am struggling so please help me out.

You avoided my question.

I'm honestly trying to think of some players but I am struggling so please help me out.

I don’t realise this was a quiz for stupid questions. Start a new thread perhaps?

This thread is about Liverpools upcoming season.

I don’t realise this was a quiz for stupid questions. Start a new thread perhaps?

This thread is about Liverpools upcoming season.
Touch a nerve did I?

I am asking about Liverpool on a Liverpool thread...

Upcoming season you say? Does that mean you'll stop mentioning arteta's past lack of success constantly on the Arsenal thread and discuss this season only?

Didn't know pool fans were so sensative... It's all love bro. Don't be offended.

My question is still there. A Liverpool question on a Liverpool thread.

Touch a nerve did I?

I am asking about Liverpool on a Liverpool thread...

Upcoming season you say? Does that mean you'll stop mentioning arteta's past lack of success constantly on the Arsenal thread and discuss this season only?

Didn't know pool fans were so sensative... It's all love bro. Don't be offended.

My question is still there. A Liverpool question on a Liverpool thread.

Your question is a historic one which would only be an opinion with no correct answer. If Klopp was still here , it would be fair but Slot doesn’t need any huge new signing. Liverpool secured Salah , VVD , Alison who were sought after , leading the club to PL & CL success in consecutive seasons .

With less injuries hopefully, this season Liverpool will score a lot of goals & challenge for all silverware. League will be tough to win as a new style & system arrives but 2nd is on .

Your question is a historic one which would only be an opinion with no correct answer. If Klopp was still here , it would be fair but Slot doesn’t need any huge new signing. Liverpool secured Salah , VVD , Alison who were sought after , leading the club to PL & CL success in consecutive seasons .

With less injuries hopefully, this season Liverpool will score a lot of goals & challenge for all silverware. League will be tough to win as a new style & system arrives but 2nd is on .
Who else was after Salah at the time? Or even Allison and VVD?

Where I will give Credit to Liverpool is that they improve players which is what a top coach does.

Salah, Mane, Gini, etc became world class while at Liverpool.

My question was genuine as Liverpool seem to miss out on targets quite regularly.

Didn't you say previously you'd win the league? I can't remember if it was you

Didn't you say previously you'd win the league? I can't remember if it was you

You have to back your team if you feel they will challenge. Last season I felt we had a chance but Salahs injury & perhaps Klopp going saw a decline in results late in the season.

Liverpool still trying to strengthen – Slot

Liverpool manager Arne Slot says the club are still looking to strengthen the squad before the transfer window closes.

The Reds tried to sign Martin Zubimendi from Real Sociedad but missed out after the Spain midfielder decided against the move.

It means Liverpool are the only Premier League side who have not made a major signing this summer, with the transfer window closing at 23:00 BST on Friday, 30 August.

"I've said many times already that our squad is really strong and it's not so easy to find players who can help us or even strengthen the squad," said Slot.

"Zubimendi was one of them to be fair, but he decided not to come. We go forward with the ones we have. [Wataru] Endo did well in pre-season so we're in a good place.

"In the background, [sporting director] Richard [Hughes] is trying to strengthen the squad as he can but, unfortunately, Zubimendi decided not to come.

"He did every effort to bring him in but, if a player decides not to come, then it's obvious he's not coming."

Slot has replaced Jurgen Klopp as Liverpool manager after the German, who led the Reds to the Carabao Cup and a third-placed top-flight finish last season, left the club at the end of 2023-24.

The Dutchman's first Premier League game will be at promoted Ipswich Town on Saturday (12:30 BST).

“We are always talking about transfers but also a very positive thing that we kept our players and they are in a good place. Jurgen left the team in a good place and we are trying to build from there.

“Last season was also a season where they won a trophy with this team so we are hoping and aiming for the same but it's not going to be easy because there are a lot of good and strong teams in the Premier League who have strengthened their squads. We are looking forward to the challenge.”

This summer, Liverpool have sold forward Fabio Carvalho to Brentford in a deal worth £27.5m, while defender Joel Matip, midfielder Thiago Alcantara and keeper Adrian have left the club.

Slot was asked if not adding to the squad would make a team weaker but he rejected the suggestion.

"If you don’t strengthen the team you get weaker, that’s a bit weird," he said. "Normally, you either stay the same and I truly believe on the training ground that you can help players and the team to improve.

“Maybe what you mean is if the clubs around you strengthen the team then maybe they become better but it’s not always true that if you bring in players that the team become stronger.

“We - and I mean Richard and me - are trying to strengthen the squad and if we think we’ve found someone we try to bring him in.

"Unfortunately, the one we thought could help us said no. In the background, Richard is trying to improve the team but my main focus is on Ipswich.”

BBC

He'll have to work on his trophy poses then. My man thinks he auditioning for Miss World or something 😂😂😂

Dunno bro , not into men’s poses myself . Lol

But he’ll be doing the running pose if he doesn’t do well with the squad he’s been given

Dunno bro , not into men’s poses myself . Lol

But he’ll be doing the running pose if he doesn’t do well with the squad he’s been given
I heard odegaard is the one who was dictating the pose and took the picture 😂😂

Why Harvey Elliott feels it's time to make 'the next step' in 2024-25​

Harvey Elliott has expressed his determination to cement a place in Liverpool's starting XI in the forthcoming campaign.

The 21-year-old made 53 appearances – 27 of which were starts – for the Reds in all competitions last season.

That was his highest tally since arriving from Fulham in the summer of 2019, though Elliott certainly isn't resting on his laurels as he enters year No.6 on Merseyside.

He said: "I feel it's time for me now to make the next step, to try to establish myself and cement my spot in the team. I feel like I'm confident enough now.

"I've come off the back of a season that was kind of my breakthrough season, I would say. I played a lot of games, although I didn't start many.

"I feel like now it's time to try to change that and have my role when starting. It's going to be very hard, it's going to be difficult and I need to work as hard as I possibly can to make sure I get that."

The No.19 is looking to become a much-relied-upon figure for new Liverpool head coach Arne Slot.

"I think the positions [in the] formations that he plays, there's a few that are very my style of play, especially the No.10 role," Elliott stated. "I play it at England [U21s], so I know it very, very well.

"I feel like it's my most comfortable position, especially where I can receive it, how to receive it. It's kind of the bread and butter for me and I know it to a tee."

Asked if the No.10 position is where he wants to be playing in this side, Elliott replied: "I hope so, yeah.

"It's something I'm working towards. I need to prove it – it's not really going to be given to me, especially with the quality that we have in and around the team. It's going to be very hard.

"I'll be happy to play wherever but if I had to choose a specific position, it would be there."

Elliott is targeting personal and collective success in 2024-25, which begins with a trip to Ipswich Town in the Premier League on Saturday lunchtime.

He believes anything is possible for Liverpool this season with a talented squad and incredible support.

"I think we can achieve everything," Elliott declared. "In all the seasons we can achieve everything.

"It's just down to us as players to go and prove it and make sure we do it.

"We have the team, we have the backing from everyone and, most importantly, we have the fans. Wherever we go, they're travelling in numbers and always supporting us.

"I feel like as a club we can achieve great things again and we just need to keep pushing for it."

Average in the first false , players not sure of tactics & tempo while Ipswich came out with energy & motivation.

2nd half totally dominated , should have been 4/5 . Salah on fire .

Good start for Arne Slot , 3 points on the board

Average in the first false , players not sure of tactics & tempo while Ipswich came out with energy & motivation.

2nd half totally dominated , should have been 4/5 . Salah on fire .

Good start for Arne Slot , 3 points on the board

Under slot you guys seem to have better control in possession, therefore better in transitions, and less chances conceded

Enjoyed the match yesterday. First half we looked disjointed and didn't create a single shot on target. However second half Ipswich didn't have the legs to maintain their intensity and we cut them open repeatedly.

One thing that immediately stands out is Slot's ruthlessness. He subbed Quansah for Konate at half time because he wasn't winning enough aerial duels. That's a bold thing to do in your first league game as manager. Most others would've waited to make the change.

If you also see his interviews, and maybe it's a Dutch thing, he's straight to the point and unafraid to publicly criticise the team. Very different approach to Klopp and one we need.

Joy to watch . Even with a new style , the players play their game knowing their skills.

Tougher opposition to come esp for the defence but Liverpool attackers look potentially very lethal this season.

Man Utd away will be a better example of Slots team but so far shown his standards to be very high

Liverpool considering move for Juventus winger Chiesa

Liverpool are considering a move for Juventus' Italy winger Federico Chiesa.

The 26-year-old attacker has been deemed surplus to requirements by Juve manager Thiago Motta, who took charge of the Serie A side earlier this summer.

Chiesa, who was part of Italy's squad at Euro 2024, reportedly has one year left on his contract.

He was not named in the squad for Motta's first league game in charge against Como and was also absent when Juventus played Hellas Verona on Monday.

Liverpool sporting director Richard Hughes said earlier this summer that the club would be "opportunistic if we can" when it came to making signings.

The process has involved the Reds showing exploratory interest in a number of players and it is understood the interest in Chiesa has not yet gone further than that.

Liverpool are closing in on a deal for Valencia goalkeeper Giorgi Mamardashvili but have yet to make a signing so far this summer under new manager Arne Slot.

They did try to sign Spain midfielder Martin Zubimendi but he chose to stay at Real Sociedad.

Chiesa joined Juventus from Fiorentina in 2020 in a fee worth up to £54m.

He has played 131 times for the club and was part of Italy's Euro 2020-winning squad, but form and injuries have limited his appearances in recent seasons.

BBC

Liverpool agree deal for Valencia keeper Mamardashvili

Liverpool have agreed to sign Georgia goalkeeper Giorgi Mamardashvili from Valencia in a deal worth up to £29m.

The 23-year-old will join, subject to a work permit and international clearance, for a fee of £25m plus £4m in add-ons.

However, he will remain with the La Liga club this season before moving to Merseyside for the start of the 2025-26 campaign.

Brazil international Alisson Becker remains the Reds' first-choice goalkeeper, while new manager Arne Slot also has Republic of Ireland stopper Caoimhin Kelleher at his disposal this season.

Mamardashvili played in Georgia's four games at Euro 2024 before they were knocked out by eventual winners Spain in the last 16.

He has made 102 appearances for Valencia since joining them in 2021 and started both their fixtures this season - defeats against Barcelona and Celta Vigo.

Liverpool moved for Mamardashvili now as it appeared that with growing interest he may not have been available to them in the next 12-24 months.

Alisson has two years and the option of a further year left on his Liverpool contract.

The 31-year-old Brazilian has been aware and supportive of the move for Mamardashvili, who is seen as being capable of strengthening the club's depth of talent in that position for the future.

BBC

Liverpool agree £10m fee for Juventus winger Chiesa

Liverpool have agreed a deal to sign Juventus winger Federico Chiesa.

The Reds have agreed a fee of £10m for the Italy international, with a further £2.5m in add-ons based primarily on team performance.

Chiesa, 26, is on his way to Liverpool for a medical and if all goes to plan he would become Arne Slot's first signing to arrive at the club.

Speaking to Italian network Sportitalia, external outside an airport on Wednesday, Chiesa said he was "ready for this new adventure".

The forward was a star of the Italy squad that beat England on penalties in the Euro 2020 final at Wembley.

Chiesa scored 32 goals in 131 appearances for Juventus, including 10 in 37 matches last season.

However, newly-appointed Juventus boss Thiago Motta has left him out of his first two matchday squads this season.

Liverpool agreed to sign Georgia goalkeeper Giorgi Mamardashvili from Valencia in a deal worth up to £29m on Tuesday - but he will not join until next season.

BBC

Arne Slot on potential Federico Chiesa debut and Liverpool injury news​

The Italy forward completed a transfer from Juventus on Thursday but Arne Slot does not expect him to feature at Old Trafford on Sunday afternoon.

“He’s going to train with us today but it’s a bigger chance that he is not in the squad for Sunday than he is,” the head coach said during Friday morning’s pre-match press conference.

“If injuries might come up in the upcoming two days we might need him, but I don’t expect him to be in but I cannot guarantee this.”

Meanwhile, Curtis Jones is the Reds’ only injury concern ahead of the trip to face United.

Slot stated: “At the moment there are not any other injuries except for Curtis Jones and he will not train with us today. But the rest will train with us today.”

Liverpool midfielder Bajcetic joins Salzburg on loan

Liverpool midfielder Stefan Bajcetic has joined Red Bull Salzburg on loan for the rest of the 2024-25 season.

The 19-year-old Spaniard has played 22 times for Liverpool since his debut in August 2022, but only made three appearances last season.

He missed much of the campaign with a thigh injury sustained in March 2023 and has not been in the squad for Liverpool's opening two Premier League games under new head coach Arne Slot.

At the Austrian club he will be managed by Pep Lijnders, who was an assistant coach at Liverpool under former manager Jurgen Klopp.

hey signed Liverpool midfielder Bobby Clarke earlier in the window for a fee believed to be worth about £10m.

Red Bull Salzburg are top of the Austrian Bundesliga with three wins from three and qualified for the Champions League group phase this week.

"I would like to win the league and impress in the Champions League too with my new team," Bajcetic said.

"An important reason for my move is that Salzburg have focused on developing young players for many years - it's a club with lots of potential.

"Pep Lijnders, who I know from Liverpool and value, is the perfect coach for that. I am looking forward to it all."

BBC

Liverpool could move for Crystal Palace and England centre-back Marc Guehi, 24, next summer, when he will only have a year left on his contract. Guehi was a target for Newcastle in this summer's transfer window.

Mirror

Another efficient performance from Liverpool. They absorbed some early pressure well and capitalised on Utd continually conceding possession cheaply.

Scoreline didn't flatter them at all.

Early days for Slot but looking at the impressive performances to date, with the same group of players, is it wrong to conclude Klopp was underachieving at the end of his tenure?

Liverpool legend Yeats dies aged 86

Legendary former Liverpool captain Ron Yeats has died at the age of 86.

The ex-Scotland defender was part of the Liverpool side that won the Second Division title under Bill Shankly in 1962.

Yeats went to win two top-flight titles, the FA Cup and the Charity Shield three times, helping establish Liverpool as one of the most successful clubs in the country.

He played 454 games before joining Tranmere as player-manager in 1971.

More than 400 of those appearances were as captain, a tally bettered only by Steven Gerrard.

In January he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

"Liverpool FC is mourning the passing of legendary former captain Ron Yeats," read a club statement. "In the words of Bill Shankly, a 'colossus' in club history.

"The thoughts of everyone at LFC are with Ron's wife, Ann, all of his family and his friends at this incredibly sad time."

Flags at Anfield and Liverpool's training grounds will be lowered to half-mast as a mark of respect.

Yeats won two caps for Scotland in 1964 and 1965.

He began his career at Dundee United before joining Liverpool in 1961. He also played for Stalybridge Celtic and Barrow and had a spell in the American Soccer League.

Yeats returned to England for short spells at Formby and Rhyl before retiring from playing in 1977.

In 1986 he rejoined Liverpool as chief scout and remained in the role before retiring in 2006.

BBC

Early days for Slot but looking at the impressive performances to date, with the same group of players, is it wrong to conclude Klopp was underachieving at the end of his tenure?
Too early imo. There was immense pressure at the end of the league with City and Arsenal neck to neck. We need to assess after halfway point to get a decent idea

Liverpool legend Yeats dies aged 86

Legendary former Liverpool captain Ron Yeats has died at the age of 86.

The ex-Scotland defender was part of the Liverpool side that won the Second Division title under Bill Shankly in 1962.

Yeats went to win two top-flight titles, the FA Cup and the Charity Shield three times, helping establish Liverpool as one of the most successful clubs in the country.

He played 454 games before joining Tranmere as player-manager in 1971.

More than 400 of those appearances were as captain, a tally bettered only by Steven Gerrard.

In January he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

"Liverpool FC is mourning the passing of legendary former captain Ron Yeats," read a club statement. "In the words of Bill Shankly, a 'colossus' in club history.

"The thoughts of everyone at LFC are with Ron's wife, Ann, all of his family and his friends at this incredibly sad time."

Flags at Anfield and Liverpool's training grounds will be lowered to half-mast as a mark of respect.

Yeats won two caps for Scotland in 1964 and 1965.

He began his career at Dundee United before joining Liverpool in 1961. He also played for Stalybridge Celtic and Barrow and had a spell in the American Soccer League.

Yeats returned to England for short spells at Formby and Rhyl before retiring from playing in 1977.

In 1986 he rejoined Liverpool as chief scout and remained in the role before retiring in 2006.

BBC
RIP Ron Yeats.

One of the club's greatest ever signings. Bought by Bill Shankly, he was a colossus of a CB who was key in the transformation of Liverpool from mediocre Second Division status in the 60s to the powerhouse they would become.

None of the modern day success, the six European Cups, the league titles of the 70s and 80s, the worldwide following etc would happen without Shanks and his first great team with Yeats, St John, Hunt etc.

He also spotted Sami Hyypia as Chief Scout who was another fantastic CB and club captain.

Back