"Made Effort And Mistakes...": Karim Benzema Announces End Of International Career With France

James

World Star
Runs
Post of the Week
"Made Effort And Mistakes...": Karim Benzema Announces End Of International Career With France

BBC: Real Madrid and France forward Karim Benzema has won the Ballon d'Or - awarded to the best footballer of the year - for the first time.

Benzema scored 44 goals in 46 games as he helped Real win the Champions League and La Liga in 2021-22.

Lionel Messi (seven) and Cristiano Ronaldo (five) had won the award on 12 of the previous 13 occasions.

Barcelona's Alexia Putellas retained the Women's Ballon d'Or, awarded to the best best female footballer of 2022.

England Euro 2022 winner and Arsenal forward Beth Mead was second.

Premier League champions Manchester City, who had six nominees at the ceremony, were awarded Club of the Year ahead of Liverpool.

The Ballon d'Or is awarded to the best footballer of the year, based on performance over the 2021-22 season.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Karim Benzema wins the Ballon d’Or. It’s finally official. ✨ <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BallonDOr?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BallonDOr</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Benzema?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Benzema</a> <a href="https://t.co/DPaG07e36E">pic.twitter.com/DPaG07e36E</a></p>— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) <a href="https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1582098360768425985?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 17, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Richly deserved. Very happy for him. Those hat-tricks against Chelsea and PSG were amazing. Some of the goals he scored last season really did fill me with joy.

I hope he has a great World Cup as it will most likely be the last time we see him play for France in a tournament.

Last edited:
Congratulations to him on the fine victory!

For a 34 year old this is surely one of the great career surges.

What a great achievement

Congratulations to him

One of the deadliest finishers of the last 10-15 years

Very well deserved, that UCL title run will go down as one of the most iconic in history and it was largely down to him.

Congratulations to him on the fine victory!

For a 34 year old this is surely one of the great career surges.

On the verge of turning 35, he's the oldest winner since the winner of the very first award in 1956!

He's become a legendary striker and still has a good two years left to further cement himself as one of the greatest of all-time.

Three Muslim footballers in the top-5 of the Ballon d'Or. Great to see, MashaAllah. Salah was the best player in the world for half the season before Benzema took over.

He's become a legendary striker and still has a good two years left to further cement himself as one of the greatest of all-time.

Three Muslim footballers in the top-5 of the Ballon d'Or. Great to see, MashaAllah. Salah was the best player in the world for half the season before Benzema took over.

Benzema was impossible to stop. His goals were crucial in both Champions League and La Liga for Madrid, wining both. Amazing striker.

Yes, I think this is a first, 3 Muslim players in the top 5. Two Liverpool players too. If we had won the CL, Mane would have won this award.

Its a prestigious award but its only opinions of some. For me the football is about winning trophies for clubs. Benzema did both.

Ballon D'Or winner Karim Benzema announced he was ending his international career on Monday, the day after France lost in the World Cup final to Argentina. "I made the effort and the mistakes it took to be where I am today and I'm proud of it! I wrote my story and ours ends," Benzema, 35, wrote on Twitter. Benzema, who scored 37 goals for France in 97 appearances, had to withdraw from France's World Cup squad before their first match due to a left thigh injury.

The Real Madrid player, who won the Ballon d'Or award in October, had been desperate to feature in Qatar having not been selected when France won the World Cup in Russia four years ago. He was frozen out of the France team for five and a half years because of his involvement in a blackmail scandal over a sextape involving his former teammate Mathieu Valbuena.

In a trial last year he was handed a one-year suspended prison sentence and fined 75,000 euros ($79,500). For the Qatar World Cup, coach Didier Deschamps opted not to call up a replacement and France still had depth in their squad, particularly in an attack led by 23-year-old Kylian Mbappe. Paris Saint-Germain forward Mbappe won the World Cup Golden Boot award with eight goals, including a hat-trick in Sunday's penalty shootout defeat by Argentina following a 3-3 draw at the end of extra time.

NDTV

France missed him in the final. Giroud has had a great world cup, but when you have Benzema alongside Mbappe, they are much harder to stop.

France missed him in the final. Giroud has had a great world cup, but when you have Benzema alongside Mbappe, they are much harder to stop.

I think his injury was a blessing in disguise for France. They seem to play much better with Giroud leading the line.

There is no doubt Benzema is a far superior individual player, but Giroud is a better fit for the way this team is set up.

It is not a coincidence that they won a World Cup & lost another on penalties with Giroud upfront while the Benzema-led Euro 2021 team looked very average.

Benzema has always been very condescending towards Giroud. No doubt he is a far better striker but a little humility goes a long way. Him getting injured was pure karma.

Karim Benzema will leave Real Madrid this summer to join Saudi Arabian side Al-Ittihad.

The 35-year-old has spent the past 14 years at Madrid and has helped the club win 25 trophies, including four La Liga titles and five Champions Leagues.

Benzema is also Madrid’s second-highest all-time goalscorer behind Cristiano Ronaldo with 353 goals in 647 games and won the Ballon d’Or last year.

It’s understood that Benzema has agreed a two-year deal with Al-Ittihad worth around €200 million (£171.5m) per season.

Al-Ittihad finished as champions of the Saudi Pro League last week, five points clear of Ronaldo’s Al-Nassr, and are currently managed by ex-Tottenham boss Nuno Espirito Santo.

Another one off to Saudi.

Karim Benzema is to leave Real Madrid after 14 years at the club.

The Ballon d'Or-winning striker, who joined the Spanish giants from Lyon in 2009, will depart on a free transfer when the season ends.

Benzema, who had a year left on his contract, is set to move to Saudi Arabia after receiving a "record offer" from Al-Ittihad, according to Spanish football journalist Guillem Balague.

Benzema, 35, won five Champions Leagues and four La Liga titles with Madrid.

Saudi state-run Al Ekhbariya television station reported on Sunday that Benzema will sign a two-year deal with Al-Ittihad.

How do Real Madrid prepare for life after Benzema?

Real boss Carlo Ancelotti had said on Saturday that he expected the former French international to stay next season.

"Benzema as been an example of behaviour and professionalism, and has represented the values of our club," Madrid said in a statement on Sunday. "He has earned the right to decide his future."

He is the third first-team player confirmed to be leaving Madrid in two days, after it was announced on Saturday that both Eden Hazard and Marco Asensio will also depart this summer.

Speaking on Saturday, Ancelotti said: "Kane is a great player, he is from Tottenham and we have to respect both the player and the club."

The Frenchman won a total of 25 major titles with Real Madrid, a record for the club.

Benzema is the Ballon d'Or holder, having guided Madrid to the Champions League title last season with 15 goals in the competition.

Also among his titles were five Club World Cups and three Copa del Rey triumphs.

Benzema, who has made 647 appearances for Madrid, is the second on their all-time goalscoring list with 353 - only Cristiano Ronaldo has more.

He is set to make his final Madrid appearance on Sunday against Athletic Bilbao, their final match of the 2022-23 La Liga season.

"Madridistas and all the fans around the world have enjoyed his magical and unique football, which has made him one of the great legends of our club and one of the great legends of world football," the club added.

"Real Madrid is and will always be his home, and we wish him and all his family the best in this new phase of his life."

Madrid will finish second in La Liga if they win on Sunday - but they are 11 points behind champions Barcelona and have failed to retain their Champions League title after being beaten in the semi-finals by Manchester City.

Those disappointments have led to many changes being rumoured at Santiago Bernabeu this summer - with Benzema's departure among the most seismic.

Ancelotti had said on Saturday that he had "no doubts" Benzema would stay, and Benzema himself claimed "the internet is not reality" when asked about his future on Thursday.

With a number of key players leaving, Real will need to bring in a new striker.

Balague says Spanish striker Joselu could join on loan from Espanyol, while Ancelotti is a fan of Tottenham striker Harry Kane. Real are also planning on a move for Paris St-Germain forward Kylian Mbappe next summer.

BBC

Fx9XeHMXwAEV636

Fabrizio Romano:

Official, confirmed. Karim Benzema joins Al Ittihad on two year deal with option for further season.

Benzema will earn almost €200m per season net salary, commercial deals included.

That’s some serious pay. Do these franchise recover their money on all these deals or this is all blow off money? What is the end game for the owners

That’s some serious pay. Do these franchise recover their money on all these deals or this is all blow off money? What is the end game for the owners

You and me talking about Saudi in a context other than human rights.. clearly they are succeeding

You and me talking about Saudi in a context other than human rights.. clearly they are succeeding

I think they don’t recover money back. It makes so sense. However what the get for the money is exposure. Maybe they leverage that on behalf of the government and get favors from government in return. Messi getting offer for 400 million a year makes no sense

What a player, the best striker on the planet imo.

Good move, he's won everything he can win. He is a Muslim and would enjoy living in Saudi with his family.

The money is crazy but its pocket change for Saudis. This is part of their 2030 vision, along with boxing and other sports they aim to gain travellers into the country. Europe and esp USA are in serious decline, a bit of a dump in most cities.

Was he not charged for having sex with underage prostitute.

It was a blackmail case against a fellow player along with 3 others. Nothing to do with him abusing girl.

Karim ""It's a Muslim country which is expensive, which is beautiful. For me it's where I want to be, it's important to be in a Muslim country where I feel people love me. It will allow me to have a new life. I want to speak the Arabic language fluently. I am lucky to be in Saudi Arabia where there is Mecca which is close, as I believe it is important for me.”

There are some brilliant Muslim players right now, I think many more will play in Saudi now. Kante is on his way to join Karim.

It was a blackmail case against a fellow player along with 3 others. Nothing to do with him abusing girl.

Karim ""It's a Muslim country which is expensive, which is beautiful. For me it's where I want to be, it's important to be in a Muslim country where I feel people love me. It will allow me to have a new life. I want to speak the Arabic language fluently. I am lucky to be in Saudi Arabia where there is Mecca which is close, as I believe it is important for me.”

There are some brilliant Muslim players right now, I think many more will play in Saudi now. Kante is on his way to join Karim.

No he had sex with with an underage girl from Algeria or Morocco with his teammate Franck. They admitted to having sex with her , but said they did not know she was underage . Charges were dropped as they could not prove the players knew she was underage . Anyway I really don’t care for his personal life and wish him the best In Saudi Arabia. One hell of a player. Lucky to follow his career

French minister Darmanin spars with footballer Karim Benzema in Gaza row

French football's "bad boy" Karim Benzema is threatening to go to court after Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin accused him of having links with the Muslim Brotherhood.

The minister was reacting to remarks made by Benzema on X, formerly Twitter, in which he offered prayers to the people of Gaza as "victims again of unjust bombardments which spare neither women nor children".

Noting his failure to express similar sympathy for the estimated 1,400 Israeli victims of Hamas, Mr Darmanin said the former French striker was "well-known for his links with the Muslim Brotherhood".

"We are fighting the hydra that is the Muslim Brotherhood, because it creates an atmosphere of jihadism," he told right-wing news channel CNews.

The footballer, who now lives in Saudi Arabia and plays in the Saudi Pro League, authorised his Paris lawyer to issue a categorical denial - and to threaten legal action against Mr Darmanin for slander.

Karim Benzema became the first player to score in four Fifa Club World Cups as Al-Ittihad opened the 2023 edition with a 3-0 win over Auckland City.

Benzema completed the scoring following goals by Romarinho and former Chelsea midfielder N'Golo Kante.

Saudi Pro League holders Al-Ittihad are representing the host nation and face African representatives Al Ahly in the second round.

Benzema, 35, is appearing in his sixth Club World Cup having played in five with Real Madrid.

He has won every Club World Cup in which he has previously played, in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2022.

BBC

French forward Karim Benzema has returned to Saudi Arabia 17 days after he was supposed to check back in with his club Al Ittihad, a source close to the club told AFP on Friday.

Club officials were “furious” with the former Real Madrid star’s behaviour but there is no chance of him ending his contract this month despite speculation linking him with European clubs, the source added.

Benzema, 36, left for holidays during the Saudi Pro League’s mid-season break three weeks ago and shut down his Instagram account, which is followed by 76 million users.

A different source said Benzema, who won the Ballon d’Or in 2022 and is reportedly being paid 100 million euros ($109 million) a season, had been on holiday in Mauritius until Monday.

“Benzema arrived Thursday evening, 17 days late. He should have returned on January 2,” the source close to the club said.

“We couldn’t reach him for 10 days. The club management and the coach are furious with what happened.

“There will be a meeting with the club board to explain what happened and discuss his future.”

The source said Benzema remains captain of Al-Ittihad and there was “no option” for him to leave the club. Some reports have linked him with a move to Premier League side Chelsea.

Karim Benzema will remain at Al Ittihad as the Saudi Pro League January transfer window deadline approaches.

Karim Benzema is holding further talks with Al-Ittihad this week to discuss summer plans and clear the air after a difficult January.

Both Ittihad and wider Saudi dealmakers want him to do another season. There was never a green light (or formal request from Benzema) to leave.

Lyon had explored bringing Benzema back but it was impossible without a massive wage cut. Ittihad sources also insist any bid would have been rejected had it arrived. No concrete EPL offers made to the Saudi champions.

Back