Manchester United FC | 2024/25 Season

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The 2024–25 season is the 138th in the history of Manchester United, their 33rd season in the Premier League and their 50th consecutive and 100th overall season in the top flight of English football. The club are participating in the Premier League, the FA Cup, the EFL Cup, the UEFA Europa League and the Community Shield.

Manchester United Fixtures​

1720875303119.png

1720875333594.png\

1720875358852.png

Manchester United have signed Bologna and Netherlands striker Joshua Zirkzee in a deal worth £36.54m.

The 23-year-old has signed a five-year contract at Old Trafford, with the option of a further 12 months.

Zirkzee's Bologna contract included a 40m euros (£33.6m) release clause, but United opted to agree a slightly increased price in order to pay the fee over a three-year period to help with Profit and Sustainability Rules.

Zirkzee becomes the first signing the men's side have made since Sir Jim Ratcliffe became co-owner by purchasing a 27.7% stake in the club last December.

He scored 12 goals in 37 appearances last season as Serie A side Bologna claimed a surprise spot in this season's Champions League.

Zirkzee joined Bayern Munich from Feyenoord in 2017, before moving to Bologna for about £7.15m five years later after loan spells with Parma and Anderlecht.

He was named in Ronald Koeman's Euro 2024 squad but made just two substitute appearances for the Netherlands, who lost to England in the semi-finals.

BBC

Manchester United handed Lisandro Martinez injury worry after Copa America chaos

Manchester United may be mindful over a small knock sustained by defender Lisandro Martinez in Argentina’s Copa America final triumph over Colombia last night.

The centre-back managed to play all 120 minutes of the showpiece in Miami, with Inter striker Lautaro Martinez scoring in extra-time to see the world champions to a second successive continental title.

But an incident in the first-half will have caused concern as the defender had to receive physio treatment after Colombia forward Jhon Cordoba caught the defender while trying to get to a cross. Martinez subsequently received attention to his left foot, while his injury last season was to his right foot.

There will nevertheless be a grain of concern over Martinez’s fitness given his injury woes of the past 12 months, having played just 14 United games last season due to three significant setbacks. The first, a recurrence of a foot metatarsal issue, saw him sidelined for three months.

He had played through a full 90 minutes against Bayern Munich in the Champions League prior to that spell out, and it will be hoped Martinez has not exacerbated any problem by playing the full match length against Colombia.

Kick-off for the final had been delayed by 80 minutes due to crowd trouble outside of the Hard Rock Stadium, Miami, with reports suggesting that ticketless spectators had tried to force their way into the ground.

Manchester United agree £52m fee with Lille for defender Leny Yoro​

Manchester United have had a €62m (£52m) offer for Leny Yoro accepted by Lille and the defender must decide whether to accept the move, with Real Madrid also interested. United are negotiating personal terms with his representatives.

United’s deal is for an initial €50m plus €12m of add-ons. Madrid are thought to value the 18-year-old lower and may be minded to wait until next summer when he is due to be a free agent, so the Ligue 1 club’s preference is for Yoro to join United.

Yoro is primarily a centre-back and made his debut for Lille in May 2022 at 16. He is the club’s second-youngest player.

He is the third centre-back United are pursuing, along with Everton’s Jarrad Branthwaite and Bayern Munich’s Matthijs de Ligt. Ideally, Erik ten Hag wants two of these as the manager seeks to upgrade his options, though to do this one or both of Victor Lindelöf and Harry Maguire may have to be sold.

United have raised finance via the sale of Willy Kambwala to Villarreal for a fee rising to €11.5m, Donny van de Beek to Girona in a deal that could rise to €9.1m and Álvaro Fernández to Benfica for £5m.

Bologna’s striker Joshua Zirkzee is set to become United’s first recruit of the window, for €42m, and Ten Hag retains an interest in Paris Saint-Germain’s defensive midfielder Manuel Ugarte.

The sale of Casemiro may have to occur to allow the purchase of Ugarte, who has a contract to 2028 and is valued at about €45m. A loan deal for the Uruguayan may also be an option.

Manchester United agree £52m fee with Lille for defender Leny Yoro​

Manchester United have had a €62m (£52m) offer for Leny Yoro accepted by Lille and the defender must decide whether to accept the move, with Real Madrid also interested. United are negotiating personal terms with his representatives.

United’s deal is for an initial €50m plus €12m of add-ons. Madrid are thought to value the 18-year-old lower and may be minded to wait until next summer when he is due to be a free agent, so the Ligue 1 club’s preference is for Yoro to join United.

Yoro is primarily a centre-back and made his debut for Lille in May 2022 at 16. He is the club’s second-youngest player.

He is the third centre-back United are pursuing, along with Everton’s Jarrad Branthwaite and Bayern Munich’s Matthijs de Ligt. Ideally, Erik ten Hag wants two of these as the manager seeks to upgrade his options, though to do this one or both of Victor Lindelöf and Harry Maguire may have to be sold.

United have raised finance via the sale of Willy Kambwala to Villarreal for a fee rising to €11.5m, Donny van de Beek to Girona in a deal that could rise to €9.1m and Álvaro Fernández to Benfica for £5m.

Bologna’s striker Joshua Zirkzee is set to become United’s first recruit of the window, for €42m, and Ten Hag retains an interest in Paris Saint-Germain’s defensive midfielder Manuel Ugarte.

The sale of Casemiro may have to occur to allow the purchase of Ugarte, who has a contract to 2028 and is valued at about €45m. A loan deal for the Uruguayan may also be an option.

Fantastic news. This kid has hugh potential, and I'm glad we've got him.

Man Utd sign Yoro from Lille in £52m deal

Manchester United have signed French defender Leny Yoro from Lille until 2029 in a deal worth 62m euros (£52.18m), with 8m euros (£6.73m) in add-ons.

The 18-year-old centre-back has signed a five-year contract at Old Trafford, with the option for an additional 12 months.

Yoro, who made his Lille debut at the age of 16, had been linked with Real Madrid and Paris St-Germain, while Liverpool were also interested in him.

He played 32 times in the league last season and scored two goals as he helped Lille finish fourth and and was named in the Ligue 1 team of the season.

BBC

I read the kid is getting paid £115k -£150K. Upto £60 Million transfer fee hahahah no wonder he chose united, Kid was on £5k a week and had 12 months on his contract and Madrid wanted him for 30 Million.

If United fans think he picked Man United over Real Madrid Delusion FC is in full flow.

His move is purely financial for a cash strapped Lille team and him making big money.

I will be completely honest. I no nothing about him whatsoever but I am looking forward to hating on him for no reason other than he plays for United

I read the kid is getting paid £115k -£150K. Upto £60 Million transfer fee hahahah no wonder he chose united, Kid was on £5k a week and had 12 months on his contract and Madrid wanted him for 30 Million.

If United fans think he picked Man United over Real Madrid Delusion FC is in full flow.

His move is purely financial for a cash strapped Lille team and him making big money.

I will be completely honest. I no nothing about him whatsoever but I am looking forward to hating on him for no reason other than he plays for United

That's rich coming from Gooners who spent 170 million on a water carrier in midfield and a donkey upfront. LOL.

This has gotta hurt 😂😂😂😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240719-230731 (1).png
    Screenshot_20240719-230731 (1).png
    68.9 KB · Views: 3
And what exactly did Arsenal win last season?
Nothing unfortunately. Well community shield 😂😂

Man United got a trophy that's what it's all about.

Having said that I love how Arsenal are what you guys aspire to be. What seemed bigger than the FA Cup was the having a better season than Arsenal trophy.

Anyway I don't know why I'm here. Irrelevant ex great club.

Had an interesting chat with a friend of mine. Asked him to name a united player that gets into the Arsenal side... He struggled.

Said Garnacho for Mattinelli which was a fair shout but he wouldn't get in ahead of Trossard.

Hopefully the leaking roof gets fixed soon

Nothing unfortunately. Well community shield 😂😂

Man United got a trophy that's what it's all about.

Having said that I love how Arsenal are what you guys aspire to be. What seemed bigger than the FA Cup was the having a better season than Arsenal trophy.

Anyway I don't know why I'm here. Irrelevant ex great club.

Had an interesting chat with a friend of mine. Asked him to name a united player that gets into the Arsenal side... He struggled.

Said Garnacho for Mattinelli which was a fair shout but he wouldn't get in ahead of Trossard.

Hopefully the leaking roof gets fixed soon

Agree. A struggling club, with under performing players, and all over the place. Yet won two trophies in the last two seasons.

And we have Arsenal 🤣🤣🤣 and Gooners claiming community shield as a trophy. And this is meant to be a golden Generation for you guys?

Agree. A struggling club, with under performing players, and all over the place. Yet won two trophies in the last two seasons.

And we have Arsenal 🤣🤣🤣 and Gooners claiming community shield as a trophy. And this is meant to be a golden Generation for you guys?
Community shield was tongue in cheek...never mind.

Golden generation??!! You picked the wrong fan bro. This ain't no golden generation.

Aim higher bro... Dont compete with A trophyless team.

Like I said fix the leaking roof. It's embarrassing.

Community shield was tongue in cheek...never mind.

Golden generation??!! You picked the wrong fan bro. This ain't no golden generation.

Aim higher bro... Dont compete with A trophyless team.

Like I said fix the leaking roof. It's embarrassing.

Leaking roof will be a thing ofvthe past.

Wembley of the North in plans. 100k capacity at a cost of 2billion quid

Leaking roof will be a thing ofvthe past.

Wembley of the North in plans. 100k capacity at a cost of 2billion quid
I look forward to it. Went to OT for a work thing last year and honestly no rival bias it was embarrassing.

Will be good to see a nice new stadium up north.

I look forward to it. Went to OT for a work thing last year and honestly no rival bias it was embarrassing.

Will be good to see a nice new stadium up north.

Agree. The Glazers have milked Utd. But now sir Jim Radcliffe is in charge of the whole Footballing side, including the stadium and renovation of the training ground facilities. We will slowly see a improvement

Ferdinand's persuasive powers sealed Man Utd's Yoro deal

Manchester United had a helping hand from legendary defender Rio Ferdinand in persuading highly-rated Leny Yoro to join them.

Yoro was coveted by many of Europe's top clubs, including Real Madrid, this summer.

In the end, he plumped for United, signing a five-year contract after agreeing a £52m move from French club Lille.

Ferdinand sent Yoro a social media message welcoming him to Old Trafford and, speaking to in-house club media, 18-year-old Yoro explained the former England star had already adopted a more direct approach.

"Two weeks ago, he called me," said Yoro.

"We spoke for 10 minutes about Man United, so he helped me a lot to make my choice."

"He mainly spoke about the club and what it's like. That this is a historic club with a big story, and if I go there I need to fight for the club, to be ready, because this is the biggest club in the world.

"It was really good to speak about this."

Yoro impressed on his debut in the pre-season victory over Rangers at Murrayfield.

And, judging by his assessment of his own abilities, there are similarities between Yoro's style and that of Ferdinand, who joined United for £29.1m from Leeds 22 years ago.

"The football of today, you need to read the game," he said.

"You need to understand the opponent and I try really to be focused on that. After that, I'm really comfortable with the ball. You know, I'm not afraid to play."

BBC

Manchester United target Bayern Munich right-back Noussair Mazraoui

Erik ten Hag is targeting Bayern Munich’s Noussair Mazraoui with the Manchester United manager believing the right back can aid Antony’s form, though Aaron Wan-Bissaka would have to be sold to finance a transfer that would cost in the region of £21m.

Mazraoui is one of several right-back options being considered by Ten Hag who coached the 26-year-old Moroccan at Ajax from 2018 up until his departure to Old Trafford four years later. Mazraoui supported Antony on Ajax’s right flank during their title-winning seasons of 2020-21 and 2021-2022 and they impressed as a pairing.

Mazraoui joined Bayern in May 2022 while Antony moved to United in the August of that year for £82m, reuniting with Ten Hag but largely failing to impress ever since, while also being caught up in controversy, namely accusations of assault from women that the Brazilian has strongly denied. Ten Hag believes Antony’s iform can be turned around, with the targeting of Mazraoui part of the 54-year-old’s plan to do so.

For the transfer to occur, Wan-Bissaka, who has a year left on his contract, would have to leave first. The defender, signed from Crystal Palace for £45m in June 2019, would draw a fee of around £15m and is a target for West Ham.

Meanwhile, Jadon Sancho is attracting interest from Paris Saint-Germain with United valuing the 24-year-old in the region of £40m. Sacho will fly to the US on Wednesday for United’s summer tour and though he and Ten Hag are reconciled following the exile that led to Sancho being loaned back to Borussia Dortmund last season, United’s need to sell to buy means they would consider an offer from the French champions, who want to recruit a player of the winger’s profile in the wake of Kylian Mbappé’s departure to Real Madrid.

United will take a reduced total of 125 staff members to the US as the club moves to cut 250 members from their 1,144-strong payroll. Those whose positions are in danger were informed last week they would not be part of the club’s summer tour. United declined to comment.

SOURCE: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...et-bayern-munich-right-back-noussair-mazraoui

Man United make plans to replace Old Trafford with brand new 100,000-seater stadium... with £2billion project set to be announced at the end of the year and completed by 2030​

Manchester United want to build a brand new 100,000-capacity stadium to replace Old Trafford and will announce their plans by the end of the year.

The £2billion project could be completed by 2030, eclipsing Wembley as the biggest stadium in the country and making it the second largest in Europe behind Barcelona’s revamped 105,000-seater Nou Camp.

United must still make a final decision over whether to rebuild or redevelop Old Trafford, but it has been clear for some time that they share the vision of co-owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe to bulldoze their home of 114 years and create a new state-of-the-art stadium on adjacent land.

The club cannot afford to pay for it on their own, even with the backing of Ratcliffe and majority owners the Glazer family. Selling the naming rights is being considered, although United insist that fans will be consulted over that process.

The club are looking at public-private funding opportunities for the new stadium and wider regeneration of the area around Old Trafford, known as the Stadium District, on land owned by the club.

New Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer has already indicated that he would be open to conversations about government support for transport links.

United appreciate the cost of rebuilding Old Trafford could rise above £2bn – as was the case with Real Madrid’s £2.4bn redevelopment of the Bernabeu – but the commercial benefits of a new stadium are huge compared to improving the existing one at a cost of around £1.1bn.

It would also allow the team to keep playing at Old Trafford while the new stadium is built next door, minimising the disruption to fans and ensuring that United continue to generate the revenue from 75,000 sell-out crowds.

United have canvassed 30,000 fans over their preference, with the vote said to be around 50-50. Ratcliffe wants a decision by the end of the year but it’s understood that the Old Trafford taskforce, which has met four times so far under the leadership of Lord Coe, is focussing largely on building a new stadium.

Club bosses recognise the importance of safeguarding Old Trafford’s status as the biggest club ground in the country for years to come. It would also overshadow the 90,000-seater national stadium to become what Ratcliffe has described as the ‘Wembley of the North’.

There is an appreciation that the new design must capture the essence of the current stadium and be true to Manchester’s industrial heritage. During the fourth meeting of the task force last week, former United defender Gary Neville is said to have been particularly vocal about how the new Old Trafford would look.

The discussions came to light after United played Arsenal at the spectacular SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles at the weekend on their summer tour of the US.

The £2.3bn arena was paid for by Arsenal and LA Rams owner Stan Kroenke, who splashed out another £2bn to develop the surrounding Hollywood Park area.

The roof of the stadium is a giant LED screen visible to planes landing at nearby LAX airport, making it what has been described as the ‘biggest advertising opportunity in the world’.

The entire project took six years from the initial meetings to construction being completed in 2020, and United anticipate a similar timeframe in terms of making a decision and securing funding and planning permission.

They have held a number of meetings with the team behind the SoFi development, as well as visiting Wembley and Tottenham’s new stadium. Chief operating officer Collette Roche also visited the Bernabeu earlier this year to learn more about Real Madrid’s redevelopment project.

Even so, it’s understood that United would not want the new Old Trafford to look too futuristic. The club have appointed Populous, the designers behind the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, to draw up plans for Old Trafford.

It’s still feasible that United will have to downgrade the project and redevelop the stadium if funding is not available, but that remains their second choice.

The work would probably have to be carried out in stages over a longer period of time, and there is the long-standing problem of having to rebuild the Sir Bobby Charlton Stand around a railway line that runs behind it.

Redevelopment could lead to the capacity being cut significantly by up to 35,000, or mean that United couldn’t play at Old Trafford at all. If that was the case, there is little appetite at the club to groundshare with Manchester City, Liverpool or Everton.

Is he injured? Man U just got him in the team.

---------------------------

Man Utd defender Yoro on crutches with foot injury

Manchester United defender Leny Yoro has been seen wearing a protective boot and using crutches at the club’s UCLA training base.

Yoro was forced off during the first half of Saturday’s pre-season defeat by Arsenal at the SoFi stadium in Los Angeles.

The 18-year-old, who only completed his £52m move to United from Lille on 18 July, could barely put any weight on his foot as he left the pitch and went onto the team bus before the final whistle.

Yoro was filmed getting on the team bus with the protective boot on his left foot, sparking fears of an extended absence.

United sources say the club is still assessing the extent of the injury.

Manager Erik ten Hag has not spoken to wider media since Yoro sustained his injury and is not scheduled to do so until 16:30 local time on Thursday (00:30 BST Friday) when he is due to give a pre-match press conference for Saturday’s game against Liverpool in South Carolina.

United play La Liga side Real Betis in the second game of their three-match US tour in San Diego on Wednesday at 19:00 (03:00 BST Thursday).

BBC

Manchester United set to sign Arsenal wonderkid who scored 10 goals in one game against Liverpool with huge contract

Manchester United are set to secure the signing of Arsenal wonderkid Chido Obi-Martin, according to reports.

The Red Devils appear to have pulled off a coup for the 16-year-old under the noses of their Premier League rivals for the talented striker.

It will represent United's first attack-minded signing from Arsenal since a swap deal for Alexis Sanchez in 2018 which saw Danny Welbeck go in the opposite direction.

That came just six years after United poached Robin van Persie for £22.5million.

Obi-Martin has already endeared himself to United fans for his sensational performance in an U16 match against arch-rivals Liverpool in February.

The teenager netted a staggering ten times for the Gunners in the match against Liverpool, to help bolster his season tally of 29 goals in 17 league games for the club’s U18 side.

His goals in the fixture were born out of a mix of speed, power and precision while showing a cool head in front of goal.

And to show the performance wasn’t just a one off, he netted four against Crystal Palace and one against Fulham.

Incredibly, the prolific teen had previously scored five in a match against West Ham and seven against Norwich.

Obi-Martin will now take his talents to Old Trafford as reported by transfer guru Fabrizio Romano on Tuesday.

“Chido Obi Martin to Man United, here we go! Talented striker leaves Arsenal and he’s just accepted Man Utd proposal," Romano posted.

"Pathway key for Chido who’s turned down higher bids from Germany to sign for Man United.

"Project convinced 2007-born top talent to accept."

Arsenal hoped to convince the striker to stay in north London by offering him a pathway into the U21 squad via the U18 set-up.

However, Obi-Martin appeared set on being fast-tracked to the U21 side and was even eying up the occasional training session with Mikel Arteta’s first team squad, according to the Daily Mail.

The youngster joined Arsenal from Danish side KB in 2022 and represented Denmark in the 2024 UEFA Under-17s European Championship qualification rounds.

He was selected for the group stages of the competition, netting twice in three appearances.

Fulham make £20m bid for Man Utd's McTominay

Manchester United have received a second bid from Fulham, understood to be £20m, for midfielder Scott McTominay.

It is anticipated United will reject the offer but the Scotland international's future is again uncertain after West Ham tried to sign him last summer.

Speaking on the club's pre-season tour of the United States, United manager Erik ten Hag said he is "pleased" to have McTominay in his squad, but stopped short of saying the 27-year-old Scotland international would remain at the club.

The Old Trafford club are trying to generate funds to buy new players and the injuries to defender Leny Yoro, who is set to miss three months, and striker Rasmus Hojlund heighten the issue.

McTominay is moving into the prime years of his career and wants to be a first-team regular.

Although McTominay made 32 Premier League appearances for United last season, 14 of them were from the bench, although he did start the FA Cup final victory over Manchester City at Wembley.

McTominay featured in the number 10 role in Wednesday's 3-2 pre-season win over Real Betis in San Diego.

However, with Bruno Fernandes still to join the main group for training after his exertions at Euro 2024, Mason Mount hoping to remain fit and Casemiro still at the club when many thought he may make a summer move to the Saudi Pro-League, it is possible a deal may eventually be done for the Scot.

When asked about the player's future, Ten Hag spoke about how impressed he was with the former United academy player.

“I am so pleased with the performance of Scott and so pleased to have him in my squad," said the Dutchman.

"Scott has huge impact on team performances with his spirt and playing in the advanced position he is so important."

BBC

Manchester United joint transfer bid rejected as Aaron Wan-Bissaka hijack eyed

Manchester United have seen a double opening bid for Matthijs de Ligt and Noussair Mazraoui rejected by Bayern Munich.

Erik ten Hag is determined to bolster his defensive options and the club has identified Mazraoui and De Ligt as top targets. Both players favour a move to Old Trafford and have agreed personal terms with the Reds but Aaron Wan-Bissaka's exit must be sanctioned first.

United have pushed to complete deals for both players by submitting a double bid. However, Bayern's rejection has left players and agent baffled.

The Athletic states there was optimism at Old Trafford and among the players' representative, Rafaela Pimenta, that their offer would meet Bayern's expectations. But instead, Bayern's rejection caused some bemusement in the camp of De Ligt and Mazraoui.

Talks are ongoing and the Bundesliga giants have informed their counterparts a higher fee will be needed to reach an agreement.

Elsewhere, Football Insider reports Aaron Wan-Bissaka's exit has been hit by delays after Inter Milan made a move to hijack a deal. West Ham have been in talks with United to seal a deal for the 26-year-old but a move to the London Stadium has now been put in doubt.

United are keen to add Bayern Munich right-back Noussair Mazraoui to their squad but need to try and shift Wan-Bissaka to make room for him. Inter meanwhile, have been credited with an interest at various stages this summer and are now trying to hijack a move from the Hammers.

The Italians are claimed to have made contact about doing a deal with United and Wan-Bissaka is believed to prefer a move abroad.

SOURCE: https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...manchester-united-joint-transfer-bid-29669380

The eagle is enjoying football.

=====================================

Shaheen Shah Afridi, Pakistan's premier pace bowler, is currently enjoying a break in the United Kingdom, taking a well-deserved pause after a gruelling cricket season.

During his stay, Afridi had the opportunity to visit Old Trafford, the iconic home of Manchester United, renowned for its rich history and legendary status in the football world.

At Old Trafford, Afridi was warmly welcomed and was seen in the dugout of the famous stadium, where he posed with a personalized Manchester United jersey. The jersey, bearing his name "Afridi", and the legendary No. 10—worn by football greats like David Beckham, Ruud van Nistelrooy, and Wayne Rooney—emphasized the special nature of the visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
The eagle is enjoying football.

=====================================

Shaheen Shah Afridi, Pakistan's premier pace bowler, is currently enjoying a break in the United Kingdom, taking a well-deserved pause after a gruelling cricket season.

During his stay, Afridi had the opportunity to visit Old Trafford, the iconic home of Manchester United, renowned for its rich history and legendary status in the football world.

At Old Trafford, Afridi was warmly welcomed and was seen in the dugout of the famous stadium, where he posed with a personalized Manchester United jersey. The jersey, bearing his name "Afridi", and the legendary No. 10—worn by football greats like David Beckham, Ruud van Nistelrooy, and Wayne Rooney—emphasized the special nature of the visit.
I don't know why I find this so funny. It's a full on photo shoot. Does he think he has signed for United 😂😂

Man Utd's Antony on favela life, poor form and targets

Manchester United winger Antony has explained why a traumatic upbringing in Brazil means critics who condemn his footballing abilities will not "write my story".

United made Antony the second-most expensive player in their history behind France World Cup winner Paul Pogba when they paid Ajax £82m for him in 2022.

The 24-year-old has rarely come close to justifying that fee and has scored just five goals and claimed three assists in 54 Premier League appearances.

Antony ended last season on the bench and was an unused substitute in the 2-1 FA Cup final victory over Manchester City at Wembley in May.

However, on the eve of this weekend's Manchester derby rematch in the Community Shield, he offered a revealing insight into his tough background in a Sao Paulo favela that not all his friends were lucky enough to escape from.

"It's difficult for me to talk about my background," Antony told reporters, answering in his native Portuguese to questions posed in English.

"It's not by chance I have the favela where I grew up tattooed across my back and always play with 'favela' written on my boots. The favela is always with me.

"I'll never let anyone else write my story or let people put me down as I genuinely know what it's like to be at the bottom.

"There were times when I didn't have boots to play football in, times when there wasn't enough to eat. I didn't have a bedroom - I slept on the sofa in the living room. My house would flood when it rained heavily.

"I saw a lot of friends go down another path and some of them lost their lives. I know what I went through; I know what my mother, father, brother and sister suffered together with me."

Favela is the term used for densely populated areas on the outskirts of Brazilian cities, likened to slums or shanty towns. They are characterised by lower life expectancy, higher infant mortality rates, lack of education and low literacy levels.

It is estimated about 6% of Brazil's population, more than 11 million people, live in favelas.

Despite now having the wealth that allowed him and his immediate family to leave the favelas, Antony said he still goes back, because it represents his roots.

"My parents, brother and sister don't live there any more, but whenever I'm on holiday I always look to pay a visit, even if it's for a short amount of time," he said.

"It renews my energy, reminds me where I come from and everything I went through to get here. I always get emotional talking about the favela because it's somewhere I learned so much through adversity. We had nothing, just our faith in God and determination."

Despite the language barrier and presence of an interpreter, Antony was emotional and close to tears as he discussed his early life and preconceptions of wealthy footballers with British journalists.

"A lot of people don't see where you come from and what you've overcome," he said. "You come from nothing, from not having enough to eat, and now have practically everything with such ease - it's difficult to deal with this. I will always represent the favela. It is there, with me, for the rest of my life."

Antony accepts his performances for United have not been good enough.

He remains under investigation in Brazil and England over allegations of domestic abuse made against him by three women, although he has not been arrested or charged in either Brazil or the UK, and denies the allegations.

Antony said the investigation affected his form.

"I demand a lot of myself and obviously I was not satisfied with my season," he said. "A lot happened over the year in my personal life. Like it or not, everything had an effect on the pitch.

"But I've got a strong mentality and I'm focused on what I want. I know this season will be totally different."

Although United manager Erik ten Hag has continued to defend a player he first got to know at Ajax - where Antony moved from Sao Paulo as a teenager in 2020 - the Dutchman appeared to begin the process of easing out the winger at the end of last season.

With Jadon Sancho readmitted to the first-team squad, the emergence of Amad Diallo, Marcus Rashford earmarked for a wide role and Alejandro Garnacho's domestic form propelling him into Argentina's victorious Copa America squad this summer, it is clear Antony faces a major battle trying to establish himself at Old Trafford.

Whether it pays off or not is another matter, but Antony is being diligent about trying to improve his performance, to the extent he now keeps handwritten notes on every match he plays to highlight areas where he has done well and what he can do better.

"I always set out objectives," he said. "More goal participations, more assists, where I need to improve. I put them down on paper rather than on my phone.

"For every game I need to put something in writing - goals, shots on goals, dribbling, everything. I have to do it for every game and am doing it in training as well.

"It's really important for me. It allows me to visualise and mentalise and then step on to the pitch with this in mind.

"I usually take the notes with me but if I leave them at home, I'll ask my wife to send me a photo of them. I'm always reflecting - about how many shots I should be making in a game, that I can't lose the ball, that I need to score goals and create assists, pass and dribble completions as well as defensive performance.

"I have a lot of objectives."

BBC

Manchester United injuries leave Ten Hag with Community Shield dilemma​

Erik ten Hag will start the season with a selection dilemma as he waits to find out how many of Manchester United’s defenders will be available for Saturday’s Community Shield against Manchester City.

Harry Maguire, Victor Lindelöf, Luke Shaw and Aaron Wan-Bissaka are doubts, Lisandro Martínez returned to training only this week after winning the Copa América with Argentina and the new signing Leny Yoro is out for three months with a foot injury.

“Harry Maguire missed the game [against Liverpool last weekend] as a precaution but is still a question mark for Saturday,” Ten Hag said. “So we have training, we have to see whether he is fit enough or not to be available. Victor played but also he’s a question mark and also Azza [Wan-Bissaka] and Luke Shaw are both question marks – we have to assess them tomorrow.”

The problems mean the manager will have to ponder whether it is worth risking any of the defenders who are not fully fit or whether it is better to play a weakened team. United sustained numerous injuries last season and Ten Hag is looking to avoid a repeat. He will have Jonny Evans and Diogo Dalot at his disposal but could be forced to turn to the youngsters Rhys Bennett or Harry Amass to make up his defence at Wembley.

All those who played at major tournaments over the summer reported back to training last Friday or Monday, leaving Ten Hag to assess their availability on a case-by-case basis. “We always want to win, also in all the friendlies – it’s about a trophy,” he said. “We will put out a team that is very competitive to win this trophy. It’s also pre-season, we don’t go into big risks with players.”

FT: Manchester City 1-1 Manchester United.

The Community Shield will be decided on penalties after Bernardo Silva wiped out Alejandro Garnacho's goal late on

FT: Manchester City 1-1 Manchester United.

The Community Shield will be decided on penalties after Bernardo Silva wiped out Alejandro Garnacho's goal late on
Manchester City win 7-6 on pens

United were ahead until the 89th minute and then led 3-1 in the shootout, but couldn't hold on to their advantages.

Manchester United are closing in on Bayern Munich pair Matthijs de Ligt and Noussair Mazraoui in a move likely to cost in excess of £50m.

BBC Sport has been told Bayern have accepted a bid from United of £38.6m plus £4.3m in add-ons for De Ligt, who was captain of Erik ten Hag’s Ajax side that reached the Champions League semi-final in 2019.

In addition, they are set to pay £12.9m for 26-year-old Morocco defender Mazraoui.

United have targeted central defence and right-back as key areas to strengthen in Erik ten Hag’s squad.

Ten Hag said last weekend the club’s new hierarchy were "eager" to do deals.

Mazraoui’s arrival had been linked to the exit of right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka, who moved to Old Trafford from Crystal Palace for £50m in 2019.

The Red Devils have now agreed a deal with West Ham for Wan-Bissaka and the 26-year-old will have a medical with the Hammers on Sunday.

United had two bids for Everton’s England international Jarrad Branthwaite turned down earlier in the summer.

With the Merseyside club sticking to their £70m valuation, De Ligt, 24, is considered a cheaper option and has more experience.

Both De Ligt and Mazraoui played in front of United goalkeeper Andre Onana during their time at Ajax.

De Ligt joined Juventus in 2019 for £67.5m and after winning one Serie A title and one Coppa Italia in 117 appearances he joined Bayern in 2022 for £65.6m.

He has played 73 games for the German side and won the Bundesliga.

Source: BBC

Man Utd weighing up £50m move for Brighton's Evan Ferguson to fend off Chelsea interest

Manchester United are weighing up a late £50million summer swoop for Brighton striker Evan Ferguson.

United have a long-standing interest in the Republic of Ireland forward, 19, and are concerned they could be beaten to his signature by rivals Chelsea.

That means an approach for Ferguson is very much on the Old Trafford agenda - before the current transfer window closes at the end of this month.

Dan Ashworth, United’s new Sporting Director, held that same post at Brighton when Ferguson was snapped up by the South Coast club from Bohenians three years ago.

The Seagulls hitman has rapidly developed into one of the most-coveted young players in the Premier League - although that rise was interrupted last season by injury and then struggling to regain his place.

However, that will not deter United as their search to bolster attacking options for the new campaign continues.

Netherlands forward Joshua Zirkee has been signed from Bologna for £32m but Reds boss Erik ten Hag admits he may need time to adapt to the additional pace and physical demands of the Premier League.

And United’s Danish striker Rasmus Hojland is once again crocked after suffering a hamstring injury on the club’s pre-season tour to the States.

The £72m hitman is not expected to return to first-team action until late September, leaving Ten Hag desperately short of proven firepower.

Brentford’s £60m-rated England international Ivan Toney has been linked with a switch to Old Trafford but, at 28, does not fit the club’s new criteria to invest in younger talent.

Ferguson, who supported the Red Devils as a kid, most definitely does, which is why United’s new football hierarchy view himas the perfect addition to the set- up.

But Brighton are in a strong negotiating position with the player under contract until June 2029.

Hence, it will take an offer of £50m-plus from United to tempt them to off-load another of the prized-assets assembled at the Amex Stadium.

SOURCE:https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-weighing-up-50m-33435569

The community shield summed up if anything Man U , are still behind the elite ,they've lost their yard and its a reality now all catchup play

The community shield summed up if anything Man U , are still behind the elite ,they've lost their yard and its a reality now all catchup play

Your stating the obvious. But I see us progressing from last season and we will finish in the top 4 and win another trophy .

Fernandes signs new Man Utd contract until June 2027

Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes has signed a new contract that will extend his stay at Old Trafford until June 2027, with the option for a further year.

The Portugal midfielder has scored 79 goals and contributed 67 assists in his 234 appearances for the club.

Fernande, 29, joined United from Sporting Lisbon in January 2020 for £47m.

BBC

Man United tell Christian Eriksen to find a new club – sources

Man United have told Christian Eriksen he is free to find a new club before 31 August, sources have told Football Insider.

Eriksen, 32, has just one year remaining on his current contract and is no longer considered an integral part of Erik ten Hag’s plans for the coming season.

The Denmark international is increasingly likely to leave Old Trafford before the transfer window closes, while United are inviting offers for his services.

Football Insider revealed in June that clubs in Turkey and Saudi Arabia had been monitoring his situation with a view to making their interest formal.

Bids for the midfielder are now imminent as the Red Devils are willing to let him leave on a cut-price deal to get his wages off of the bill.

Man United look to cash in on Christian Eriksen as sales raise money for new deals

Eriksen has made 72 appearances for Man United since his arrival on a free transfer three years ago, but his influence on the team has begun to fade.

SOURCE: https://www.footballinsider247.com/man-united-tell-christian-eriksen-to-find-a-new-club-sources/

'Dream' start for Zirkzee - but questions over Sancho future

There was a pleasing symmetry for Manchester United in Joshua Zirkzee scoring a late winner on his Premier League debut against Fulham at Old Trafford.

Twenty-three years earlier, another Dutch forward did the same thing for United against the same opponents.

Zirkzee may not get close to Ruud van Nistelrooy's 150 goals in five seasons for the club but given his fellow countryman has returned to United as manager Erik ten Hag's coaching assistant, there was shared delight in his smartly taken 87th-minute effort.

"It doesn't matter if he is Dutch or English or Russian or South American," said Ten Hag. "It is Man Utd. He is a Man Utd player and it is very good for a striker to come in and score his first goal."

Ten Hag referenced the struggles of Rasmus Hojlund, his big money striking purchase last season, who was 15 games into his Premier League career before he finally found the net, against Aston Villa on Boxing Day.

"Remember last season when Rasmus scored a first goal [against Brighton in his second game on 16 September] and we wait on the halfway line for two minutes before VAR decided the ball was over the [goal] line [before the cross]. It was very frustrating."

On such fine margins can major moments turn.

Zirkzee's goal sent the vast majority of a capacity crowd into raptures. The noise did justice to the build-up the £36.5m signing from Italian side Bologna had been given.

"I've been told [scoring at the Stretford End] it's one of the best feelings at Man Utd," he said. "I'm so thankful and blessed I could experience it in my first game. It's an amazing feeling.

"It's been amazing, it's been a dream actually."

'Man Utd look like a serious club again'

The result also allowed for a more reflective assessment from pundits who, as former United captains, seem to have spent so long being critical of their old club.

Gary Neville was delighted at the overall sense of control and impetus at the club, which comes from the presence of a new chief executive in Omar Berrada and sporting director in Dan Ashworth.

"Man Utd need to be a serious football club and it looks at least like that is happening," he said.

"The prices [being paid for players] seem to be better. It was embarrassing in large parts of last season and pathetic in certain games. Where they are now is a strong position. I feel more optimistic."

Zirkzee's display included a nonchalant celebration that matched the way in which he took the goal, sweeping Alejandro Garnacho's right-wing cross into the bottom corner with the minimum of fuss.

"It was a brilliant finish," said Roy Keane. "He was neat and tidy in the link up. United need to punish teams more but they were a threat and to score on your debut is huge."

There was complication around Zirkzee in the summer.

Ten Hag revealed the 23-year-old ended last season with an injury which was going to rule him out of Euro 2024 only for further injuries to the Dutch squad to mean he was picked by Ronald Koeman anyway.

It meant Zirkzee had an extended break off the back of not being fit, meaning he had to be managed carefully when he did report for pre-season training, which is why he was on the bench throughout the Community Shield defeat by Manchester City at Wembley.

"We had to look at every individual and he had to build up some deficits," said Ten Hag.

"He has some attributes we didn't have and straight away he showed it. He is very good in his linking up combinations - but he has to arrive in the box to score goals. That is what he did today."

'I preferred other players on the bench'

There is now less than two weeks before the transfer window closes and United are still assessing their options.

Midfield continues to be an area they are looking at, with Burnley's Sander Berge among the potential buys, but the sense remains much will depend on how much the club can generate.

Scotland international Scott McTominay is one of their saleable assets, although it is not clear the Preston-born player wants to leave.

Napoli are thought to be interested, others are sniffing round and after Fulham had a bid turned down for the 27-year-old, their fans cheekily sang 'he wants to sign for Fulham' when McTominay was introduced in the second half.

And then there is Jadon Sancho, who Ten Hag confirmed had simply been overlooked for the opening encounter, stating he could have been involved despite not fully recovering from an ear infection.

Chelsea are the latest club to be linked with Sancho, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Borussia Dortmund after his major fall-out with Ten Hag.

"This will be a season of survival of the fittest but I can only put 20 players in the squad," said Ten Hag. "In the week Jadon had an ear infection and was not 100% fit. He could play but I make choices and prefer other players on the bench.

"But that can change and will change this season. Sometimes it is frustrating for the player but it is about the team and the club."

BBC

Brazil police close investigation into Man Utd's Antony

A Brazilian police investigation into allegations of domestic abuse by Manchester United winger Antony has concluded without any charges being brought, but prosecutors could still look into the claims.

The 24-year-old, who has denied wrongdoing, remains the subject of a Greater Manchester Police investigation.

Allegations of domestic abuse were made against Antony by three women in September last year, though he has not been arrested or charged in either Brazil or the UK and denies the allegations.

A statement from the player's lawyers said: "The defence of player Antony Matheus dos Santos, in light of the news published by the press this Tuesday (20 August 2024), hereby confirms that the police investigation opened at the fifth Women's Defense Precinct of Sao Paulo, of the Civil Police, was closed without any police indictment.

"The defence has always believed that the investigations, that run under confidentiality, would prove Antony's innocence."

Officials have told BBC News Brasil that although the police investigation has concluded without an indictment, the case has not been dropped because the prosecutor's office is still reviewing it and can decide to make another independent investigation.

Antony became Manchester United's second-most expensive signing when he joined from Ajax for £82m in September 2022.

During the international break in September 2023, Brazilian news outlet UOL published allegations made by Antony's ex-partner Gabriela Cavallin, which he denies.

Further assault allegations followed when Rayssa de Freitas and Ingrid Lana each claimed Antony assaulted them in 2022, which he also denies.

Greater Manchester Police became involved as one of the allegations was said to have taken place at a Manchester hotel.

United responded by saying they took the allegations "seriously" and granted Antony leave with full pay to deal with the allegations on 10 September.

He resumed training from 29 September having spoken to Greater Manchester Police voluntarily and returned to action in early October.

However, his club manager Erik ten Hag said in January that the matter had affected the player's form.

BBC

Brighton XG 2.32 United 1.53

Please explain

Last 15 minutes, we tired and sat back. Majority of the game we controlled proceedings and had the young Italian striker not unfortunately intervened Garnacho, then we would have won.

I must have watched a different game because you didn't dominate

Last week against Fulham you were the better side and deserved to win, that wasn't the case yesterday

first 60 minutes we were clearly the better side. Ten hag then made some strange substitutions

Manchester United agree £25million deal for Scott McTominay with Napoli

The move is subject to all parties being satisfied on player terms, with the Red Devils set to receive a fee of €30m (£25.4m) plus a percentage of future sales.

The midfielder's Old Trafford future has been up in the air this summer, with Man United needing to sell in order to comply with Financial Fair Play.

As an academy product, McTominay's sale would go down as pure profit.

This will aid Man United in signing his potential replacement, Paris Saint-Germain's Manuel Ugarte, which is now the club's aim.

The Ligue 1 giants are holding out for a fee of £50m for their midfielder, though.

McTominay's suitors Napoli's sporting director Giovanni Manna has also been working on a deal for Chelsea's Romelu Lukaku.

McTominay has been with Man United since 2002.

He made only 18 Premier League starts last season, but featured in the entirety of their FA Cup winning run, including the final against Manchester City.

He had his best goal scoring season last term, netting 10 times in 43 appearances in all competitions.

Despite the interest from Napoli, McTominay played in Man United's 2-1 defeat to Brighton on Saturday.

He came off the bench in the 79th minute for Bruno Fernandes.

talkSPORT reported Fulham had a bid for the Scotland international rejected earlier this summer.

That was due to the Cottagers not meeting Man United's price tag.

talkSPORT understands the offer was lower than West Ham's offer last summer.

Now, McTominay looks set to be moving away from England and make his first ever transfer away to Italy.

The Scot has made 255 appearances for Man United since his senior debut in 2017.

Man Utd hold talks with Chelsea over Sterling deal

Manchester United have held exploratory talks over a deal to sign Raheem Sterling from Chelsea.

The 29-year-old forward has been training away from the first-team squad after being told by Blues manager Enzo Maresca he will struggle for minutes at the club.

While it is being stressed there is no guarantee of an agreement being reached, it underlines United sporting director Dan Ashworth’s desire to see if he can use the situation at Stamford Bridge to his club’s advantage.

United sources stress any deal will be on their terms, although winger Jadon Sancho is also available and is known to have admirers at Chelsea.

Juventus are interested in Sancho but are resisting United’s desire to include an obligation to buy in any loan deal, and also do not want to pay all the 24-year-old's wages.

Sterling, who has 82 England caps, is known to be a childhood United fan.

He spent 10 years in the North West, first at Liverpool, then Manchester City, where he won 10 major trophies before joining Chelsea in a £50m deal two years ago.

BBC

Manchester United to sign PSG’s Manuel Ugarte for initial €50m

Manchester United have agreed a deal to buy Paris Saint-Germain’s Manuel Ugarte for €50m (£42.3m) plus €10m in add-ons, with Scott McTominay expected to accept a €30m transfer to Napoli.

PSG had wanted a €60m fixed fee for Ugarte but United, after targeting the holding midfielder early in the window, negotiated a lower price, with the bonuses subject to performance and success.

The 23-year-old will be Erik ten Hag’s fifth major signing of the market, after Leny Yoro, 18, a second centre-back, Matthijs de Ligt, 25, the striker Joshua Zirkzee, 23, and Noussair Mazraoui, a 26-year-old full-back. The club believe all have their peak years ahead.

United regard Ugarte as one of the game’s finest midfielders – he was chosen in the summer’s Copa América team of the tournament – and the Uruguayan would give Ten Hag a second senior holding player, alongside Casemiro.

With United having agreed the fee with Napoli for McTominay, the Scot is expected to go. He has had a 22-year association with United, joining the youth programme at the age of five.

United were reluctant for him to leave but Ten Hag could not guarantee the midfielder the starting berth he wanted. The Premier League profitability and sustainability rules that incentivise the sale of homegrown players also meant the deal is attractive.

McTominay, viewed by the club as one of their most successful academy graduates, has made 253 appearances for United, scoring 29 goals and winning the FA Cup and Carabao Cup.

THE GUARDIAN

Man Utd midfielder Mount suffers new injury setback

Manchester United midfielder Mason Mount has suffered a new injury setback that will keep him out of action for up to five weeks.

The 25-year-old was substituted at half-time of last weekend’s Premier League match against Brighton & Hove Albion, where he had started for the third consecutive match this season.

He has injured a hamstring, which means he will miss the next four to five weeks and the start of United’s Europa League campaign next month.

In a statement on social media, Mount said: "During the last game I picked up a minor muscle injury.

"I've had it checked and it looks like I'll be out for a few games. Leading up to and during pre-season, I worked hard to get my fitness back to where it needs to be and I felt re-energised, sharp and ready.

"I wanted you to hear it directly from me how frustrated I am, as I expect you are too. I will do everything possible to be back in the best shape and help the team."

Mount moved to Old Trafford from his boyhood club Chelsea in a £60m deal last summer but his first campaign was hampered by injuries, restricting him to just 14 Premier League appearances.

BBC

Man Utd midfielder McTominay joins Napoli

Napoli have signed Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay for a fee of £25.7m.

The Scotland international, 27, departs having spent his entire career at United - first attending a soccer school at the club when aged five.

McTominay made his United debut in 2017 and made 255 club appearances under four permanent managers.

He scored 10 goals in 43 appearances last season but was likely to have his game time limited by the imminent arrival of midfielder Manuel Ugarte from Paris St-Germain..

BBC

Manchester United have signed midfielder Manuel Ugarte from Paris St-Germain for a fee that could reach £50.5m.

The 23-year-old Uruguay international has agreed a five-year contract with the option to extend it for a further 12 months.

He joins for an initial fee of £42.1m, with the potential for £8.4m in additional payments.
Ugarte becomes the club's fifth signing of the summer transfer window and takes their overall spending to just over £190m.

He made 37 appearances for PSG in all competitions last season after joining them from Sporting Lisbon for a reported £50.5m, helping the Parisians to their 12th Ligue 1 title.

It is understood PSG have negotiated a 10% sell-on clause for Ugarte, with both clubs privately claiming they are happy with the deal.

Source: BBC

Man Utd sign Uruguay midfielder Ugarte from PSG

Manchester United have signed midfielder Manuel Ugarte from Paris St-Germain for a fee that could reach £50.5m.

The 23-year-old Uruguay international has agreed a five-year contract with the option to extend it for a further 12 months.

He joins for an initial fee of £42.1m, with the potential for £8.4m in additional payments.

Ugarte becomes the club's fifth signing of the summer transfer window and takes their overall spending to just over £190m.

He made 37 appearances for PSG in all competitions last season after joining them from Sporting Lisbon for a reported £50.5m, helping the Parisians to their 12th Ligue 1 title.

It is understood PSG have negotiated a 10% sell-on clause for Ugarte, with both clubs privately claiming they are happy with the deal.

@aboveandbeyond

How come world class Mainoo got bullied off the ball for liverpools 3rd goal 🤭

Looked like an overated English water carrier in uniteds midfield

Desperate Gooners are using deflecting tactics after a miserable performance from Declan which could have already possibly ended their title challenge.

Mainoo is 19years old. If you want to compare Rice at 19 to Mainoo at 19, I won't bother. I'm sure, at that age, Rice was a confused Irish man.

Back