Meaning of Urdu words in the list?

Well, argue would literally translate as behes, but that would be for when people are having an argument, or perhaps a debate or discussion. For the context you're looking for, i.e. people putting forth a hypothesis, it would be easier to translate "some people think" or "some people opine."

"Kuch logon ka khayaal hai" or "Kuch logon ki raye hai" might work.

I may have better translations once I've had some caffeine in my system ;)

Thanks! Yup 'raye' is the word I was looking for :)

Assallam alaykum bhaiyon

Humey phr aap sb ki imdad chahiye

Inn lafzon ka maiynay btadein -

Intishaf
Jasd e khak
Tasurat
Bilbataure
Rushnaz
Lashahuri
Ghasib
Jabr/Jabirana
Shiraza
Darwesh/darweshi
Manoos-
Mawaaqe
Ahmakamat
Qabil e ishhat

I haven't.

It took me over a year, but here's the joke:

Four friends meet after decades apart. They're all married with grown children, and they begin telling each other just how successful their children are. The first one says, my son is a timber merchant. The second says, my son is doing so well, he feeds hundreds of people every day. The third says, at the place where my son works, there are thousands under him.

The first person's son actually sells miswaks at the railway station. The second man's son is a waiter in a restaurant. The third person's son is a grave digger.

Intishaf - PTI's investigative team
Jasd e khak - Form-fitting military uniform
Tasurat - Artistic aurat (woman)
Bilbataure - Biblical literature
Rushnaz - Tearaway fast bowler in the ladies' team
Lashahuri - Breakaway faction of the Lashari Baloch tribe. More mystically inclined than the warlike Lasharis
Ghasib - Uncle Ghalib's evil twin. Wrote dirty poems about Mughal princesses
Jabr/Jabirana - Sadistic twin brother and sister
Shiraza - Wine from the city of Shiraz, with grape dregs at the bottom of the bottle
Darwesh/darweshi - Da'esh's spiritual wing. Very few active members
Manoos - Manhoos, but with redeeming features
Mawaaqe - A surfeit of raisins
Ahmakamat - A silly boy named Ahmed
Qabil e ishhat - Cain (Qabil in Arabic), after he killed his brother Abel and published a best-selling novel about his exploits

Hello again.

[MENTION=6745]DHONI183[/MENTION], are you still around?

Hello again.

Wow, wow, wow man! This is just plain hilarious, wow! :)):)):))):))):)))

Thanks for tagging me, man. I loved it! Erm, I´m not anymore an active member of the forum, or of any at all, but do keep an eye on my notifications over here, although quite late I often get in checking them.

This is a serious, serious talent! You´re the Jos Buttler of translations. I wonder how long it takes you to come up with such creative translations for each word.....

Hello again.

However, I would translate "tasuraat" differently, and would propose it as a combination of two words, "taasur" and "raat". Hence, the short for the lasting "impression" given at a given "night"; if you know what I mean.

However, I would translate "tasuraat" differently, and would propose it as a combination of two words, "taasur" and "raat". Hence, the short for the lasting "impression" given at a given "night"; if you know what I mean.

On second thought, Manoos should've been a litter of cute little newborn kitty cats.

Wow, wow, wow man! This is just plain hilarious, wow! :)):)):))):))):)))

Thanks for tagging me, man. I loved it! Erm, I´m not anymore an active member of the forum, or of any at all, but do keep an eye on my notifications over here, although quite late I often get in checking them.

This is a serious, serious talent! You´re the Jos Buttler of translations. I wonder how long it takes you to come up with such creative translations for each word.....

Not too long. Ten minutes or so in total. This one wasn't particularly challenging, although it could well be that Kamran Hussain has already gone the way of Ethesham-ul-Haq or whatever name he/she was using prior to this, so we can't really gauge their reaction.

If you don't mind my asking, why aren't you an active member anymore? You don't have to answer of course.

Not too long. Ten minutes or so in total. This one wasn't particularly challenging, although it could well be that Kamran Hussain has already gone the way of Ethesham-ul-Haq or whatever name he/she was using prior to this, so we can't really gauge their reaction.

If you don't mind my asking, why aren't you an active member anymore? You don't have to answer of course.

Well, you guys used to taunt me, "Get a life!", and so I did, and a gem she is. :)

So my jokes are now reserved for her, including the ones full of double-meanings. She doesn´t appreciate them, gets angry on the contrary, but I love it. :)

Apart from that, I´ve in general got a bit busy in life of late. But don´t worry, you guys definitely get a mention in my Lailat-ul-Qadr prayer :yk. Nah, PP still remains an integral part of my life and I continue to participate in its fantasy league competitions with much fondness. :)

Well, you guys used to taunt me, "Get a life!", and so I did, and a gem she is. :)

So my jokes are now reserved for her, including the ones full of double-meanings. She doesn´t appreciate them, gets angry on the contrary, but I love it. :)

Apart from that, I´ve in general got a bit busy in life of late. But don´t worry, you guys definitely get a mention in my Lailat-ul-Qadr prayer :yk. Nah, PP still remains an integral part of my life and I continue to participate in its fantasy league competitions with much fondness. :)

You got married? Congratulations!

You got married? Congratulations!

No no, not yet. There´s a lot to go before that, a hell lot of people to be convinced. At this stage, it´s all based in the hope of a miracle, all in the Almighty´s Hand, and indeed, He can make anything happen. :)

This actually reminds me of a joke by Amanat Chan, a Pakistani Punjabi comedian. When asked whether he´s married, he said it´s half done: "I´ve agreed, the girl hasn´t yet", he added.

Last edited:
No no, not yet. There´s a lot to go before that, a hell lot of people to be convinced. At this stage, it´s all based in the hope of a miracle, all in the Almighty´s Hand, and indeed, He can make anything happen. :)

This actually reminds me of a joke by Amanat Chan, a Pakistani Punjabi comedian. When asked whether he´s married, he said it´s half done: "I´ve agreed, the girl hasn´t yet", he added.

Good luck, but regardless of the eventual outcome, cherish the feeling of the first blush of love. It won't last forever.

Good luck, but regardless of the eventual outcome, cherish the feeling of the first blush of love. It won't last forever.

:)

.... it could well be that Kamran Hussain has already gone the way of Ethesham-ul-Haq or whatever name he/she was using prior to this, so we can't really gauge their reaction.

And I fully understand his obsession with Urdu. Not only is it a language so poetic, it can convey the dirtiest of meanings with unmatched decency. Take for example the old film 'Ek Phool Do Mali' (1969). 47 years ago, with great subtlety it referred to what people goggle at from their mobiles in private times.

My friend [MENTION=96424]RWAC[/MENTION] is already in awe of the film. He aims to watch it one day, not knowing that what he´s expecting won´t be there in it.

:)

And I fully understand his obsession with Urdu. Not only is it a language so poetic, it can convey the dirtiest of meanings with unmatched decency. Take for example the old film 'Ek Phool Do Mali' (1969). 47 years ago, with great subtlety it referred to what people goggle at from their mobiles in private times.

My friend [MENTION=96424]RWAC[/MENTION] is already in awe of the film. He aims to watch it one day, not knowing that what he´s expecting won´t be there in it.

I make it a point never to watch Indian movies, but the title makes it clear what it's about.

munh taka hi kare hai jis tis ka
hairati hai ye aaina kis ka

I am not confident enough about my understanding of above mentioned couplet. I know the meaning of individual words but collectively they are not making sense to me.

munh taka hi kare hai jis tis ka
hairati hai ye aaina kis ka

I am not confident enough about my understanding of above mentioned couplet. I know the meaning of individual words but collectively they are not making sense to me.

This means , it stares at faces of everyone , but surprisingly the mirror belongs to someone .

Back