Member Interview : KingKhanWC

hadi123

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
PakPassion.net: What brings you to PakPassion?

KingKhanWC: I’ve been reading PakPassion for over 10 years now. If you’re a Pakistani cricket fan then it’s simply a must to visit on a daily basis. We get to read the latest news ahead of almost all other media outlets and sometimes news which others don’t cover or are picked up from PakPassion. The PP team also brings exclusive interviews from those involved in cricket, not just related to Pakistan but from others too. The forum also has a lot of knowledgeable posters, not just Pakistanis but from all over the world. It’s a credit to the forum that those who are not Pakistan fans enjoy the site just as much.

PakPassion.net: You’re one of the most passionate Pakistanis on the forum. Have you ever considered moving to Pakistan?

KingKhanWC: I think Pakistan would be an amazing place to live the later end of my life in, especially in the rural areas where my village is based. The air is clean, the food is produced locally and the people are generally hospitable. I really enjoy the outdoor lifestyle, so would probably buy myself a couple of mastiff dogs and walk for hours in the beautiful rural lands of Punjab. If by then corruption is radically reduced, it would be the icing on the cake moving back. I think Pakistan has enormous potential as a nation, the people are up there as some of the most generous in the world and I’m hopeful in the next 50 years it will emerge as one the most successful nations on Earth. But for now, I am more than happy living in the UK, I’m very fortunate to have lived my life here.

PakPassion.net: Who will win the next ODI World Cup and why?

KingKhanWC: I think England will be a strong team in next years World Cup even though they lost to Scotland but they were also favourites in the Champions Trophy until they faced Pakistan who made them look like minnows. England are known to crumble in big games which could be a problem for them. If it's a dry warm summer, I would back Pakistan once again to find glory in England. The Pakistan fans will be out in huge numbers to support the team and I feel the ODI team will be much stronger than it was in the Champions Trophy. It would be dream come to true to witness Pakistan lifting the World Cup live in the stadium.

PakPassion.net: Were you impressed by Pakistan's Test performance or was the Lord's win a fluke?

KingKhanWC: There is no such thing as a fluke in Test cricket. It’s the only sport played over 5 days and the only cricket format where two innings are played, no limit on overs and no fielding restrictions. IMO, the best team over the 5 days always wins the match. I was impressed but I wasn’t surprised because unlike previous years Pakistan prepared well with warm up matches and a Test against Ireland. Credit must be given to Mickey Arthur who I feel was instrumental in preparing for this series. We also have some very talented young players which is a great sign for the immediate future of Pakistan cricket.

PakPassion.net: If you had to pick only one for Tests, would it be Shadab Khan or Yasir Shah?

KingKhanWC: I am a huge fan of Shadab Khan, he’s such a bright prospect for Pakistan and I have no doubt he will become the leading spinner for Pakistan in all formats. However for now, Yasir has a great record with experience, he is the no.1 spinner for Pakistan in Test matches unless his form goes downhill rapidly.

PakPassion.net: Wasim Akram or Waqar Younis and why?

KingKhanWC: It's unfair to pick between the two W’s as they are both greats of the game.

PakPassion.net: Who is your favourite Indian player and why?

KingKhanWC: India have produced so many great players especially batsmen. I don’t have a favourite Indian player as being a bitter rival nation, I always root for the opposition when watching. Rahul Dravid is one batsmen who I admired because of his immense mental strength in Test cricket. Too often batsmen are out due to intimidation, sledging, short pitch bowling plans or pressure being built but he is one player who was cool as a cucumber in such situations. He’s also played the game as a gentleman and continues to be involved in the game with great dignity.

PakPassion.net: Favourite hobby other than cricket?

KingKhanWC: Football and Boxing are the other two favourite sports which I spend masses of time following. I also spend a lot of time in the gym and travelling. At home I have a passion for cars, read the latest political news and catch up on some T.V.

PakPassion.net: Name your top 3 greatest fighters who ever lived and your top 3 greatest British fighters?

KingKhanWC: 1. Muhammad Ali – Not only because he was a great human being but because he would be the greatest in any era, in the past, present and future.

2. Mike Tyson – In his peak he was the most dangerous boxer to have ever stepped into the ring. Many of his fights were won before the first bell. Strength X Speed = Power and IMO no human has ever produced so much power and intensity while throwing a punch in a boxing ring. Joe Frazier was seen as this type of beast before Mike came into play.

3. Sugar Ray Leonard – It was this fighter which got me hooked on boxing. I remember the way he used to move his arms, feint and toy with his opponents was fascinating. Sugar Ray had incredible speed and timing with his punches, which helped him manage to beat the likes of Hagler, Hearns and Duran all greats within their own rights.

The top 3 British have to be 1. Prince Naseem at one no1, Joe Calaghaze who was unbeaten followed by Tyson Fury who I am hopeful will once again be crowned champion of the world making him a living legend. Lennox Lewis, Henry Cooper and Amir Khan are also amongst my favourites.

PakPassion.net: What was your journey towards Islam?

KingKhanWC: Having been brought up in a Muslim household, I took Islam as part and parcel of my culture. I never took the idea of religion seriously. Although I did pray Friday prayers it was done without any thought becoming a cultural ritual rather than something personal. Then one day I went out, picked up a yogurt and a white English chap came over to inform me I shouldn’t eat this as it was haram. I laughed and said it’s ok you can have it for free and to my surprise he said sorry I can’t eat it either because I am a Muslim. It got me thinking, why is this chap a Muslim, he wasn’t born into a Muslim family so what made him decide to become a Muslim? It led me to research the religion along with all other major faiths while considering the purpose of my existence. In the end I came to the conclusion it’s more reasonable to suggest we were created rather than a product of mere chance in such a large universe, which also may be one of millions of universes. Out of all the religions I studied Islam answered the most questions and even though I still don’t understand many aspects of our existence I accept as humans we may not ever have the capability of understanding this. I’ve been fortunate to perform Hajj, as the request of my mother.

PakPassion.net: Your favourite food and your favourite holiday destination?

KingKhanWC: Cheese steak. Thailand, the islands are beautiful and the people are so friendly.

PakPassion.net: What is your single most important purpose when it comes to your existence?
KingKhanWC: Trying to follow the example of the Prophet Mohammed (pbuh).

PakPassion.net: How do you feel is the best way to tackle inner city issues involving the youth?

KingKhanWC: Having grown up around Birmingham, I understand the social issues many youth face. I believe no person is born a criminal. It’s a combination of their upbringing along with the world they are born into. The troubled youth often come from broken homes or a family environment which doesn’t give them the support they needed as children to become successful. The social environment they find themselves in means they are surrounded by other similar kids growing up in deprived areas especially the schools they attend. To tackle the issue, government and society need to ensure all children are given the support from an early age to reach their potential, whether it’s in education or sports. We need better schools, youth clubs, community support, better housing, funding for local services. Once children reach their teenage years, it’s very difficult to turn them around, the focus must be from an early age.

Unfortunately the UK is no different to every society on earth, the poor always have the worst of society and the cycle continues for generations. However, in Britain those who are supported from children have the opportunity to break this cycle and achieve anything or reach their potential.

PakPassion.net: What is the biggest obstacle you've ever had to overcome and how did you deal with it?

KingKhanWC: In my youth I grew up around gang culture which is easy to get involved in when you live in a certain area and you are out of the house regularly. But as I grew older, I got bored of the lifestyle and being lucky enough to have a large family and completing a decent level of education I managed to find other things which I found more interesting and enjoyable. It’s not really an obstacle compared to what many people go through in life.

PakPassion.net: Have you ever faced (or seen anyone else face) racism in the UK? If yes, what has your reaction been?

KingKhanWC: I think everyone of colour in the UK has faced racism at one point in their lives. When I was younger, if someone was racist towards me, I would abuse them back and if they continued it would turn violent. Now I don’t face direct racism and can’t remember the last time I did. The UK does have elements which are racist in nature but having travelled to most continents, I can say without bias it’s the most tolerant nation on Earth. There are so many mixed relationships these days, most people have a someone in their family who is of a different ethnicity. Many of my friends have partners who are white English, Indian, Caribbean, European etc. I’ll go to a barbeque, it’s Bhangra, followed by Reggae followed Rock music with Kebabs, Jerk Chicken and English steak on the go. It’s a great way to live, seeing people as people and not the colour of their skin.

PakPassion.net: Biggest mistake you’ve made in life?

KingKhanWC: When I was at Hajj, I decided to go for a walk from the group camp. I walked an hour to Masjid Nimra and then on to Mount Arafat which was an amazing experience but I didn’t think to make a note of where my camp was. Those who have been there, they will know how huge the area is! I walked for around 3 hours in heat which was near 45C finding my way back. The Saudi officials were of no help at all but eventually I managed to phone a friend from the group who came out and met me. I returned a few minutes before the group was set to leave and saw my mother a little upset.

PakPassion.net: When were you the happiest in life?

KingKhanWC: Difficult to say but I think when I was a small child. As I child I was always happy, never bored, not having to worry about anything apart from what was for dinner.

PakPassion.net: Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?

KingKhanWC: God willing I will have no responsibilities in 10 years so will be hoping to travel. I’ve been fortunate to have visited many places but there are many others I would love to see. Once I’ve finished my travels I hope I can work for an NGO in order to help people around the world.

Good interview.

I agree with you opinion about Thailand as a holiday destination.That part of Asia is so beautiful.

Good insight into the thinking of one of PP's veteran posters

PakPassion.net: Have you ever faced (or seen anyone else face) racism in the UK? If yes, what has your reaction been?

KingKhanWC: I think everyone of colour in the UK has faced racism at one point in their lives. When I was younger, if someone was racist towards me, I would abuse them back and if they continued it would turn violent. Now I don’t face direct racism and can’t remember the last time I did. The UK does have elements which are racist in nature but having travelled to most continents, I can say without bias it’s the most tolerant nation on Earth. There are so many mixed relationships these days, most people have a someone in their family who is of a different ethnicity. Many of my friends have partners who are white English, Indian, Caribbean, European etc. I’ll go to a barbeque, it’s Bhangra, followed by Reggae followed Rock music with Kebabs, Jerk Chicken and English steak on the go. It’s a great way to live, seeing people as people and not the colour of their skin.

I've lived in multiple countries across Asia however only for short duration, and plan to move to a developed country in the coming times. Racism is one thing that concerns me the most. I believe if there is racism prevalent, it is important for us to accept it first and then help people around us, especially kids, deal with it properly. Your anecdote has re-affirmed my belief. Also, its absolutely great to hear that things have changed with time.

Thanks for the other answers as well. Enjoyed reading them. Wish you good luck.

Last edited:
Fantastic interview and brilliant responses, one of the best posters on PP :)

This was a really interesting interview. Definitely worth a read guys

[MENTION=139981]HitWicket[/MENTION] , [MENTION=47617]Red Devil[/MENTION] or [MENTION=133315]Hitman[/MENTION] would be good candidates for future member interviews

Pleasure reading the interview. Wish you all the best with your future plans.

KingKhanWc, you are one grounded person who comes across very humble and intelligent in your approach to life. I am a fan of your posts. Everything you say seems to be my thoughts EXACTLY.. it's so canny.

Pakistan and India both have a good chance in England. If pitches are dry like the last time. In spite of very good batting lineup that England posses, their bowling lacks variety. I am sorry Rashid and Moeen aren't your front like main spinners and Their pace bowlers always wilt under pressure.

Good read, always enjoy the posts of KKWC, he's a happy go lucky fellow who reflects the community quite accurately.

I've lived in multiple countries across Asia however only for short duration, and plan to move to a developed country in the coming times. Racism is one thing that concerns me the most. I believe if there is racism prevalent, it is important for us to accept it first and then help people around us, especially kids, deal with it properly. Your anecdote has re-affirmed my belief. Also, its absolutely great to hear that things have changed with time.

Thanks for the other answers as well. Enjoyed reading them. Wish you good luck.

It can be a concern esp if you have children. Often those considered to be 'racists' are just ignorant of other cultures. It's important to engage with people as much as you can. I'm one of those people who will stop and talk to anyone about anything making general conversations. Once people realise you are not much different to them, as people in general we all want the same things in life, they will warm to you.

I hope your move goes well and I would consider the UK as a future home. It has its problems but its a great place to live.

Thanks for the nice words too.

Good interview.

I agree with you opinion about Thailand as a holiday destination.That part of Asia is so beautiful.

Good insight into the thinking of one of PP's veteran posters

This guy is a great lad. Good interview.

Fantastic interview and brilliant responses, one of the best posters on PP :)

This was a really interesting interview. Definitely worth a read guys

Pleasure reading the interview. Wish you all the best with your future plans.

KingKhanWc, you are one grounded person who comes across very humble and intelligent in your approach to life. I am a fan of your posts. Everything you say seems to be my thoughts EXACTLY.. it's so canny.

Great Interview.

Good read, always enjoy the posts of KKWC, he's a happy go lucky fellow who reflects the community quite accurately.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Thanks to PP for taking the time out for the interview.

When I was at Hajj, I decided to go for a walk from the group camp. I walked an hour to Masjid Nimra and then on to Mount Arafat which was an amazing experience but I didn’t think to make a note of where my camp was. Those who have been there, they will know how huge the area is! I walked for around 3 hours in heat which was near 45C finding my way back. The Saudi officials were of no help at all but eventually I managed to phone a friend from the group who came out and met me. I returned a few minutes before the group was set to leave and saw my mother a little upset.

Same thing happened to my mom as well. Fortunately she found a Bangladeshi laborer who helped her find her way.

Same thing happened to my mom as well. Fortunately she found a Bangladeshi laborer who helped her find her way.

Thats good to hear she was ok. It really needs better organisation with officials on hand to help people. I doubt myself and your mother were the only ones in such a situation. Luckily for me there were distributing water every 100m or so, otherwise it would have been really tough.

Good read. Me and [MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION] have butted heads more times than I can remember. But he's a good poster, especially against Indians :)) And I don't think he is as heated in real life as on PP. I guess its easy to be more animated online during arguing.

Good read. Me and [MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION] have butted heads more times than I can remember. But he's a good poster, especially against Indians :)) And I don't think he is as heated in real life as on PP. I guess its easy to be more animated online during arguing.

Thanks mate, it's just debating to keep things spicy but yes need to keep cool it down at times :). Enjoy reading your posts too.

[MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION] has come a long way in the nine years I have been on PP. I don’t agree with all he says, but he gives me pause for thought to consider my own beliefs, has his stock of wisdom and is an admirable fellow.

Definitely think this interview is worth a read!

[MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION] has come a long way in the nine years I have been on PP. I don’t agree with all he says, but he gives me pause for thought to consider my own beliefs, has his stock of wisdom and is an admirable fellow.

It means a lot for you to say this. Yes we do regularly disagree but if there is one poster I would like to meet for a drink ,it would be yourself. Hope you continue with your own thought provoking posts and wisdom for many us to learn from.

Back