Member Interview : sensible-indian-fan

Also bro i have seen that programme Mahabarat on star plus a few times and have found it interesting. What is the main story of Mahabarat though.

Cannot be explained in a line,page or even several pages.
If you are really interested you would have to buy the book which would be very long, a condensed version of around 500 pages is available here in India and I have read it too. I know the gist of Mahabharat but got very confused amongst the characters as they are like literally 100's and 100's of them.

I have been a regular on Pakpassion for more than 12 years, but never got interviewed :(

Great interview from a great forum member!

Cannot be explained in a line,page or even several pages.
If you are really interested you would have to buy the book which would be very long, a condensed version of around 500 pages is available here in India and I have read it too. I know the gist of Mahabharat but got very confused amongst the characters as they are like literally 100's and 100's of them.
Is a copy of it available in English.

Im Living in UK im guessing it would be available on amazon

Probably would, guess you should look it up.
But let me tell you it's an amazing amazing story indeed, you won't regret buying the book.

Also bro i have seen that programme Mahabarat on star plus a few times and have found it interesting. What is the main story of Mahabarat though.

Its a loooong story.

Personally the greatest story I have ever heard in my life till now (Ramayana is mostly vanilla black and white stuff but Mahabharata is just staggeringly good).

The thing about Mahabharata is that....

1. There is no hero
2. Almost everyone have their own agendas and exhibit their own insecurities (many a times you may not know who is right and who is wrong)
3. Almost everyone break the rules and are almost like villains (including Lord Krishna who breaks a lot of rules too and influences the outcome playing a side character role)
4. Every single story has its own in depth back story without which judging a character or situation becomes faulty
5. Its set at a time when Dwapara Yuga (3rd Yuga) is coming down to a close and the world is descending into dishonesty, greed, lies and betrayal (which Kali Yuga - 4th Yuga which we are in right now is known for)
6. There are 2 basic concepts that you must know. Dharma which is about doing the right thing as per the Hindu beliefs and Karma which is all about your past actions influencing your future actions - as in your current life is a mixture of your current decisions + past karma (good or bad).

Here's the basic gist:

The story starts with King Shantanu who marries a beautiful female Ganga after agreeing to her condition of never questioning her EVER. When their first kid of theirs is born, Ganga simply goes and drowns the kid and comes back. Shantanu watches it but can't say a word due to the promise he made to her (if he breaks the promise, he knows she would leave him). The same thing happens when the 2nd kid is born (Ganga kills it), 3rd kid is born....4th....5th....6th....and when the 7th kid is ABOUT to be drowned Shantanu cannot control himself and comes forward to question Ganga.

Ganga tells him the reason, gives him the 7th kid and walks away from his life. The reality is that even though Ganga killed her 6 babies, she was doing them a big favour (here's where the concept of Karma comes into the picture when we understand their backstory) and while the 7th baby is spared because Shantanu intervenes. The 7th kid is the exalted Great Warrior Bhishma but in reality he was the most cursed one of them all (in his prev birth).

Mahabharata is the story of Shantanu's descendants (his kids via his other wife)....Pandavas - Kauravas - their rivalry from childhood all of which culminates in a 18 day Kurukshetra battle (where each day of the battle is explained in depth).

The story starts off like a normal King story but then things do get complex fast.

There are a lot of side characters and side stories (pretty much every story has its own backstory which in linked with some other backstory) involved too.

I am searching for an English version that doesn't dumb it down for the audience. Read lots of version but none of them explain the intricacies of the story properly.

I did find a version that was decent online (atleast story wise) but don't seem to be able to locate it now.

I will search for it and let you know.

Its a loooong story.

Personally the greatest story I have ever heard in my life till now (Ramayana is mostly vanilla black and white stuff but Mahabharata is just staggeringly good).

The thing about Mahabharata is that....

1. There is no hero
2. Almost everyone have their own agendas and exhibit their own insecurities (many a times you may not know who is right and who is wrong)
3. Almost everyone break the rules and are almost like villains (including Lord Krishna who breaks a lot of rules too and influences the outcome playing a side character role)
4. Every single story has its own in depth back story without which judging a character or situation becomes faulty
5. Its set at a time when Dwapara Yuga (3rd Yuga) is coming down to a close and the world is descending into dishonesty, greed, lies and betrayal (which Kali Yuga - 4th Yuga which we are in right now is known for)
6. There are 2 basic concepts that you must know. Dharma which is about doing the right thing as per the Hindu beliefs and Karma which is all about your past actions influencing your future actions - as in your current life is a mixture of your current decisions + past karma (good or bad).

Here's the basic gist:

The story starts with King Shantanu who marries a beautiful female Ganga after agreeing to her condition of never questioning her EVER. When their first kid of theirs is born, Ganga simply goes and drowns the kid and comes back. Shantanu watches it but can't say a word due to the promise he made to her (if he breaks the promise, he knows she would leave him). The same thing happens when the 2nd kid is born (Ganga kills it), 3rd kid is born....4th....5th....6th....and when the 7th kid is ABOUT to be drowned Shantanu cannot control himself and comes forward to question Ganga.

Ganga tells him the reason, gives him the 7th kid and walks away from his life. The reality is that even though Ganga killed her 6 babies, she was doing them a big favour (here's where the concept of Karma comes into the picture when we understand their backstory) and while the 7th baby is spared because Shantanu intervenes. The 7th kid is the exalted Great Warrior Bhishma but in reality he was the most cursed one of them all (in his prev birth).

Mahabharata is the story of Shantanu's descendants (his kids via his other wife)....Pandavas - Kauravas - their rivalry from childhood all of which culminates in a 18 day Kurukshetra battle (where each day of the battle is explained in depth).

The story starts off like a normal King story but then things do get complex fast.

There are a lot of side characters and side stories (pretty much every story has its own backstory which in linked with some other backstory) involved too.

I am searching for an English version that doesn't dumb it down for the audience. Read lots of version but none of them explain the intricacies of the story properly.

I did find a version that was decent online (atleast story wise) but don't seem to be able to locate it now.

I will search for it and let you know.
Thank you bro sounds really interesting must read it this summer . And dw about spelling mistakes im the same.

Maybe. But I seem to be the Misbah ul Haq of Pakpassion :misbah posting since 10.4 years here and still only 2700 posts

People post more in a month :afridi

@SIF, What are your earliest memories of cricket? Any series, match or knock that you vividly remember?

Also a qs.

Who do you think are top 5 TN cricketers ever?
Also do you really root for TN cricket? Like does it make you happy when TN cricketers make it to national team?

[MENTION=134809]sensible-indian-fan[/MENTION] this q u missed bro even i would like to know.

PakPassion.net : What do you do outside the forum for a living?
SIF : I run an online business and I work from home (as of now). Have huge huge plans for the future. Want to expand big.

if i may ask, what you do online?
since 2006 in online biz, let me know if u need any help

its there now. magic!!!

Haha thanks.

@Ja Ded

PakPassion.net : What do you do outside the forum for a living?
SIF : I run an online business and I work from home (as of now). Have huge huge plans for the future. Want to expand big.

if i may ask, what you do online?
since 2006 in online biz, let me know if u need any help

I am into selling info products and masterminds in the marketing niche.

Sure, if I need any help, I will ask you. I read somewhere here you were into selling T spring via FB Ads. Am I right?

@SIF, What are your earliest memories of cricket? Any series, match or knock that you vividly remember?

It was in 1997 but its all vague.

Getting ripped apart by SL (they would post 300 and Vaas would trouble us), losing to Pakistan, etc. Pretty depressing period to start off watching cricket. :)) But I think we won Toronto cup against Pakistan (1997) right?

But the series that really turned me into a major major cricket fan was the Desert Storm series. Unforgettable series.

SIF why is Stanley Kubrick in your profile avatar? Are you a Kubrick fan? I am a huge Kubrick fan, Barry Lyndon being my favourite of his films.

Sensible interview from a sensible poster :)

A good read.

SIF why is Stanley Kubrick in your profile avatar? Are you a Kubrick fan? I am a huge Kubrick fan, Barry Lyndon being my favourite of his films.

Isn't that obvious?

I love Stanley Kubrick who I think was very versatile in his style of film making and was way progressive. Sadly he was so choosy that he made very very few movies inspite of being in the field for so long.

Personally my favourite Kubrick movie which ALSO happens to be my all time favorite movie is Dr Strangelove. I watched the movie with tremendous hype (after reading about it - like it was one of the best movies ever) and it still managed to exceed my hype. That's how good it was.

Greatest ever movie I have watched.

Apart from that I loved Killing (simply.....too...good), Clockwork Orange (he's one mad son of a gun), Spartacus (not a masterpiece or anything but was good), Space Odyssey, Shining (great idea but he just made it a bit too tedious). Didn't like Full Metal Jacket (except the first scene which was legendary).

I haven't yet watched Barry Lyndon which I have read is the favourite of many directors. Probably will catch up with it soon.

Last edited:
I don't identify myself as a PSBBian anyway. ;-)

well, as all are asking questions also one of Admin said that all question were about cricket ,
i am little bit philosophical person so i will ask something related to lke.
q) Define your's philosophy of life?

( If you want to give answer, otherwise ti's OK )

Isn't that obvious?

I love Stanley Kubrick who I think was very versatile in his style of film making and was way progressive. Sadly he was so choosy that he made very very few movies inspite of being in the field for so long.

Personally my favourite Kubrick movie which ALSO happens to be my all time favorite movie is Dr Strangelove. I watched the movie with tremendous hype (after reading about it - like it was one of the best movies ever) and it still managed to exceed my hype. That's how good it was.

Greatest ever movie I have watched.

Apart from that I loved Killing (simply.....too...good), Clockwork Orange (he's one mad son of a gun), Spartacus (not a masterpiece or anything but was good), Space Odyssey, Shining (great idea but he just made it a bit too tedious). Didn't like Full Metal Jacket (except the first scene which was legendary).

I haven't yet watched Barry Lyndon which I have read is the favourite of many directors. Probably will catch up with it soon.

@sif are you a movie buff? Also which are your fav tamil movies and fav non-tamil indian movies in general?

I have been a regular on Pakpassion for more than 12 years, but never got interviewed :(

welcome to the club bro.

I think there is gross injustice happening to people like us... we should fight.

Sensible indian fan is buying all these people.... :angry smiley

Awesome Interview ! First time I have seen such detailed answer in an interview !

well, as all are asking questions also one of Admin said that all question were about cricket ,
i am little bit philosophical person so i will ask something related to lke.
q) Define your's philosophy of life?

( If you want to give answer, otherwise ti's OK )

Can you elaborate cos your question is kinda vague?

I will think about it and post a reply.

Awesome Interview ! First time I have seen such detailed answer in an interview !

Thanks a ton mate.

:)))

Yeah we find Punjabi girls attractive. ;-)

@sif are you a movie buff? Also which are your fav tamil movies and fav non-tamil indian movies in general?

Yeah kinda.

Though I don't watch a lot of movies these days. There was a time I used to pick up highly rated Western movies and watch them. Loved high quality film making.

As for my favorite Tamil movies (they could be either well made quality movies or awesome masala movie).

Some of the movies at the top of my mind are

Naayagan (pure quality)
Avai Shanmughi (fun)
Panchatantram (never seen a comedy film better than this EVER - watched it some 100+ times and its still incredibly funny)
Tenali (awesome but not Panchatantram level)
Sathi Leelavathji (legendary movie)
Azhutha Ezhuthu (bad story but high quality film making)
Alaipayuthey (felt the same as above)
Vettaiyaadu Vilaiyaadu (part quality - part masala - though it has the best trailer I have seen for an Indian movie)
Ghilli (not a Vijay fan but man that was the best example of a masala movie - super fun - time just flies when you watch this movie)
Pudhupettai (story involved too many stuff but that was some high quality film making)
7G Rainbow colony (masala mixed with some awesome film making)
Vinaithaandi Varuvaaya (extremely well made love story - really really impressed with it - plus Trisha)

Non Tamil Indian movies at the top of my mind (no particular order):

No Smoking (I don't care whether Indian reviewers gave it 1 out of 5 unanimously - most of them are idiots anyway - that was one of greatest movies from India - sure Anurag Kashyap overdid it but still was just out of the world thinking)

Lagaan (a bit melodramatic but still immensely lovable - one of my favourite movies ever)

Dil Chahta Hai (fun plus high quality film making)

Rocket Singh Sales Man Of The Year (very nice movie barring the obvious attempts to teach us what is sales and the cringeworthy Spiderman sales man punch line - really loved this movie)

Lunchbox (great movie but gets a tad over rated by overzealous fans - amazing movie in general no doubt)

3 Idiots (my friends hated it but I loved it - fun masala stuff)

Andaaz Apna Apna (legendary comedy - but some have to develop a taste for this stuff but its freaking amazing once you get in the zone)

Hungaama (super funny - Paresh Rawal and Rajpal Yadav are legends)

Welcome to Sajjanpur (wow what a simple but killer movie - I got a shock when I read that it was one of Shyam Benegal's weaker attempts)

Bengali Movie - Apu Trilogy (the first movie Pather Panchali was simple yet brutal) - Watched it with sub titled of course

Johnny Gaddar (excellent thriller)

Of course, there are loads of other movies but I will stop here. For some reason, my mind is blank now. :))

Bollywood or Tollywood (tamil industry??) ?

what industry is rajnikanth in?

ok

Bollywood or kollywood?

Bollywood is Hindi.
Kollywood is Tamil.
Tollywood is Telugu.

Rajnikanth is Kollywood predominantly but has acted in a few Hindi and other langue movies. His real name is Shivaji Rao Gaekwad (Marathi fellow).

As an actor, he is just different.

The movies he makes these days doesn't accurately show who he is but he literally created his own style of acting where no one can compete or match him.

Unreal charisma (have to watch his older movies to see it action). There can be no one like him.

I am not a die hard fan of Rajnikanth but I know that he is an example of showing audience a style of acting they never knew they loved.

Can you elaborate cos your question is kinda vague?

I will think about it and post a reply.

Thanks a ton mate.

:)))

Yeah we find Punjabi girls attractive. ;-)

Yeah kinda.

Though I don't watch a lot of movies these days. There was a time I used to pick up highly rated Western movies and watch them. Loved high quality film making.

As for my favorite Tamil movies (they could be either well made quality movies or awesome masala movie).

Some of the movies at the top of my mind are

Naayagan (pure quality)
Avai Shanmughi (fun)
Panchatantram (never seen a comedy film better than this EVER - watched it some 100+ times and its still incredibly funny)
Tenali (awesome but not Panchatantram level)
Sathi Leelavathji (legendary movie)
Azhutha Ezhuthu (bad story but high quality film making)
Alaipayuthey (felt the same as above)
Vettaiyaadu Vilaiyaadu (part quality - part masala - though it has the best trailer I have seen for an Indian movie)
Ghilli (not a Vijay fan but man that was the best example of a masala movie - super fun - time just flies when you watch this movie)
Pudhupettai (story involved too many stuff but that was some high quality film making)
7G Rainbow colony (masala mixed with some awesome film making)
Vinaithaandi Varuvaaya (extremely well made love story - really really impressed with it - plus Trisha)

Non Tamil Indian movies at the top of my mind (no particular order):

No Smoking (I don't care whether Indian reviewers gave it 1 out of 5 unanimously - most of them are idiots anyway - that was one of greatest movies from India - sure Anurag Kashyap overdid it but still was just out of the world thinking)

Lagaan (a bit melodramatic but still immensely lovable - one of my favourite movies ever)

Dil Chahta Hai (fun plus high quality film making)

Rocket Singh Sales Man Of The Year (very nice movie barring the obvious attempts to teach us what is sales and the cringeworthy Spiderman sales man punch line - really loved this movie)

Lunchbox (great movie but gets a tad over rated by overzealous fans - amazing movie in general no doubt)

3 Idiots (my friends hated it but I loved it - fun masala stuff)

Andaaz Apna Apna (legendary comedy - but some have to develop a taste for this stuff but its freaking amazing once you get in the zone)

Hungaama (super funny - Paresh Rawal and Rajpal Yadav are legends)

Welcome to Sajjanpur (wow what a simple but killer movie - I got a shock when I read that it was one of Shyam Benegal's weaker attempts)

Bengali Movie - Apu Trilogy (the first movie Pather Panchali was simple yet brutal) - Watched it with sub titled of course

Johnny Gaddar (excellent thriller)

Of course, there are loads of other movies but I will stop here. For some reason, my mind is blank now. :))
Hmm so you are sort of a Kamal fan [emoji106] (assuming since quite a few of the above are his movies).
Pudhupettai and 7G are some of mine favorite from 2000s from the Tamil. Somehow Selvaraghavan just had a huge fall after those highs. Hope he makes a comeback with such quality movies again.
Little surprised you have not listed any Malayalam movies..not seen much of them?

Hmm so you are sort of a Kamal fan [emoji106] (assuming since quite a few of the above are his movies).
Pudhupettai and 7G are some of mine favorite from 2000s from the Tamil. Somehow Selvaraghavan just had a huge fall after those highs. Hope he makes a comeback with such quality movies again.
Little surprised you have not listed any Malayalam movies..not seen much of them?

I like Kamal's acting and his thinking ability but don't know whether to call myself a fan of him (as in I don't feel the urge to watch every movie of his - if its good, I will watch it).

Recently he has been making bad movies.

Haven't watched any Malayalam movies.

Are you a Tamilian by the way?

Huge fan of Vadivelu. Won't listen to a word against him. ;-)

I like Kamal's acting and his thinking ability but don't know whether to call myself a fan of him (as in I don't feel the urge to watch every movie of his - if its good, I will watch it).

Recently he has been making bad movies.

Haven't watched any Malayalam movies.

Are you a Tamilian by the way?

Huge fan of Vadivelu. Won't listen to a word against him. ;-)
Kind of began following Tamil films from early 2000s ...some modern good films in Tamil were made in those times. Thought they were at a peak in mid 2000s and felt like they will go on to the next level but sadly from there on its been mostly disappointing stuffs in last few years.
Goudamani Senthil combo was the definition of comedy in my childhood and then Vadivelu. Santhanam while likeable is still below par compared to them.

Not a Tamilian but have many of them as friends. I m a Mumbaikar Mallu

Kind of began following Tamil films from early 2000s ...some modern good films in Tamil were made in those times. Thought they were at a peak in mid 2000s and felt like they will go on to the next level but sadly from there on its been mostly disappointing stuffs in last few years.
Goudamani Senthil combo was the definition of comedy in my childhood and then Vadivelu. Santhanam while likeable is still below par compared to them.

Not a Tamilian but have many of them as friends. I m a Mumbaikar Mallu

That guy can do well if given good comedy scripts but at times feel he tries to hard to be a Goundamani.

There can be only one Goundamani.

And Vadivelu is Vadivelu.

In your opinion, who is a better actor Mammoty or Mohanlal?

Pure acting wise and versatality wise?

That guy can do well if given good comedy scripts but at times feel he tries to hard to be a Goundamani.

There can be only one Goundamani.

And Vadivelu is Vadivelu.

In your opinion, who is a better actor Mammoty or Mohanlal?

Pure acting wise and versatality wise?
Mohanlal

Can you explain the context of your picture?

And what are your feelings about the salman khan case.

[MENTION=134809]sensible-indian-fan[/MENTION]. Who are your top 5 favourite cricketers of all time.

[MENTION=134809]sensible-indian-fan[/MENTION]. Who are your top 5 favourite cricketers of all time.

I don't really think in those lines.

So here's my list (obviously based on those whom I watched play - in no order):

SRT
Wasim
McGrath
Sanath Jayasuriya
Michael Bevan

Again....since I don't think in such lines, these lists will keep changing.

Warne, Gilly, Murali, others may get added while some may get bumped off.

See I forgot Superman.

:facepalm:

Even for me, it's very hard to to participate in these 'best of all time lists' man and not only in cricket but in movies and songs as well.
I just can't decide which are my top 3 or top 5 in these fields.
One day I like something more then the next day I like something else more lol :facepalm:

Brilliant interview! Great in-depth answers and an interesting read. Also one of the top posters here as well. Always insightful and knowledgeable and of course very sensible :)) All in all a top bloke!

Awesome interview. Each question was answered with a customary POTW length reply! Well Done!

Informative.
But the question is 'do you bleed?'
Oblique batman vs superman reference.
In other words we need to rattle your comfort zone. I personally get unnerved by folks who sound fair and balanced all the time.

Informative.
But the question is 'do you bleed?'
Oblique batman vs superman reference.
In other words we need to rattle your comfort zone. I personally get unnerved by folks who sound fair and balanced all the time.

I totally get what you are thinking.

I do show it when I get into arguments. Some of my responses during arguments are sharp and intended to p rick.

I don't understand why I am called very calm by most here.

I have a raging temper.

Last edited:
I totally get what you are thinking.

I do show it when I get into arguments. Some of my responses during arguments are sharp and intended to p rick.

I don't understand why I am called very calm by most here.

I have a raging temper.

Hehe, we'll find something soon enough. For now there is too much convergence in views. Other than your naive outsiders hope that Fawad Alam deserved a shot :)

Hehe, we'll find something soon enough. For now there is too much convergence in views. Other than your naive outsiders hope that Fawad Alam deserved a shot :)

Meaning? In the sense?

As for Fawad Alam, well....he deserved a shot and looks like he proved me wrong. :))

Now selectors can peacefully move ahead.

I meant that I don't recall any disagreements with you across the various threads. Which is kinda unusual, certainly for me.

Haha....I don't too.

I just also want to say that I find your posts effortlessly refreshing and fun to read. Its unique in its own way.

Like leatherface's posts.

Post more often more bro. :)

Haha....I don't too.

I just also want to say that I find your posts effortlessly refreshing and fun to read. Its unique in its own way.

Like leatherface's posts.

Post more often more bro. :)
Thanks for this bromance.
I usually need to be goaded to post. I like going against conventional wisdom and self pity/bias are fertile grounds to contribute.

I would like to know more about these posters in future member interviews

[MENTION=97523]Buffet[/MENTION]
[MENTION=107807]Pete Rose[/MENTION]
[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION]
[MENTION=132373]Convict[/MENTION]
[MENTION=8418]Random Aussie[/MENTION]
[MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION]
[MENTION=8]MIG[/MENTION]
[MENTION=217]in_cutter[/MENTION]
[MENTION=47000]Sherlock[/MENTION]
[MENTION=56866]Bullet Drive[/MENTION]
[MENTION=95766]leatherface58[/MENTION]
[MENTION=137238]Anchorman[/MENTION]
[MENTION=47617]Red Devil[/MENTION]

Last edited by a moderator:

[MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION]
[MENTION=8]MIG[/MENTION]
[MENTION=56866]Bullet Drive[/MENTION], his connections, clients and list of friends

I think I won't be interviewed because it might crash PP due to the Box office it generates. :afridi

[MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION]
[MENTION=8]MIG[/MENTION]
[MENTION=56866]Bullet Drive[/MENTION], his connections, clients and list of friends

Quite a few already interviewed

Check Members interviews section

Really? This whole time I thought it was Amir Khan.

Join the what-seems-like-a-very-huge club!!

Maybe [MENTION=134809]sensible-indian-fan[/MENTION] is trolling all of us and it is indeed a young Amir Khan

I knew it was Kubrick all along. All those who thought it was Amir/Salman are a bunch of noobs.

*waits for sif to come in and correct me*

noooo!

whose in your avatar now?
[MENTION=134809]sensible-indian-fan[/MENTION]

he doesn't even resemble anyone lol

Back