Member Interview : Swashbuckler

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Many thanks to [MENTION=143530]Swashbuckler[/MENTION] for taking the time to answer questions put in by our members

====

PakPassion.net: Why choose a Pakistani forum to participate in and why PakPassion in particular?

Swashbuckler:
Whether the forum is Pakistani or not makes no difference to me. I enjoy the quality of discussion here, especially diversity in viewpoints. Members are nice, moderators are prompt and fair. This makes PakPassion an enjoyable place to hang out, mingling with posters with similar likes and absorbing new perspectives, insights, information, news etc.

I learnt about PakPassion 4-5 years back on twitter while coming across Saj’s handle, don’t remember exactly when but that led me to this forum where I was a lurker before finally taking the plunge during 2017 CT, couldn’t be happier with my decision.

PakPassion.net: Tell us a bit about yourself and why did you choose this nickname?

Swashbuckler:
I hail from Thanjavur district in Tamil Nadu, presently reside in Chennai. Engineering graduate, worked in a refinery, quit that job recently to prepare for civil services exam. I teach in a coaching centre to pay the bills, this allows me more free time to prepare for my dream job which is Indian Administrative Service. I am an outdoorsy guy, love to dance and quite passionate about chess.

I didn’t put much thought into choosing my nickname. This was the first name that popped into my head, probably because of the genre of films which I dig, ‘The Mask of Zorro’ being top of the list.

PakPassion.net: Is it difficult to stay neutral when commenting on topic involving India v Pakistan (cricket or otherwise)?

Swashbuckler:
I abhor nationalism, aspire to be a patriot. Indians and Pakistanis have been brothers/friends till as recent as 75 years back, a few sour incidents shouldn’t negate that. When it comes to cricket I may be a fervent Team India supporter but that doesn’t cloud my judgement about other teams and their players. In non-sports matters which are more polarizing I try to look at both opposing views and find a balance, if things get heated I abstain from participation. I am here for a pleasant experience, don’t want negativity in my free time.

PakPassion.net: Which is (are) your favourite India vs Pakistan match(es)?

Swashbuckler:
Numero uno has to be the 2004 Karachi ODI, a match well ahead of its time between two closely matched sides. A historic bilateral series after a long gap, star power in both teams, a carnival like atmosphere in the stadium which was perceptible on the TV screen. A dominant batting display by India followed by a stirring run chase, Inzamam’s 100 remains one of the greatest ever in this format. The ebbs and flows of the match culminating in a thrilling finish, a match where ultimately Pakistan lost courtesy choking more than India winning. And did I mention Kaif’s catch in the penultimate over? It was like a Shakespearean stage performance being played on the field, every act ending with anticipation and intrigue about the next one until it finished with a bang.

Second favourite will be the final of the 2007 WT20, very similar to the Karachi ODI in terms of drama but lacking in quality, understandable because of the nerves.

Honourable mentions: 2004 CT group stage encounter, 2005 Motera ODI, 2006 Lahore ODI.

Tests between the 2 sides have mostly been either one-sided or boring draws, as a matter of fact the Indo-Pak tests of 2000s were in general snooze-fests. Chepauk 1999 was an epic but I was new to cricket then and didn’t understand much, my proper initiation to cricket came a year later. I don’t find repeat telecasts or highlights interesting because the intrigue is lost, so no candidate from the traditional format.

PakPassion.net: Do you follow IPL and other T20 leagues and what is your opinion on such tournaments?

Swashbuckler:
Franchise T20 league system is not my cup of tea. I somehow manage to not be reduced to an ignoramus about IPL thanks to my friends and colleagues who never shy away from filling me in on details. However I am clueless about other leagues.

T20 league system is a necessary component of the game, because it is the cash cow which helps sustain the longer format. Its importance in attracting new fans to the sport shouldn’t be underestimated. There are quite a few problems like corruption, bad habits creeping in, wrong priorities, cramped international calendar etc. But overall my impression is that T20 franchise system is essential. Just need to keep in mind that anything in excess is bad, as long as balance is maintained we are good.

PakPassion.net: What is your opinion on the current political situation in India especially in regard to protests against Modi?

Swashbuckler:
Under BJP, India is undergoing a transformation steadily moving away from the principles our founding fathers wanted us to follow. Institutions are under siege while seeds of division are being sown in Indian society. Indian mainstream media (barring exceptions) which has historically been pliable has taken sycophancy to another level and now apart from misleading the public is actively promoting hatred. Military is getting politicized which wasn’t the case earlier, civil society is being threatened whilst anti-social elements have been emboldened to reduce law and order to a joke. To summarize we are moving towards an exclusivist, majoritarian state under a fascist regime. What makes it worse is that BJP’s governance is inept as can be judged from the mishandling of Indian economy.

The recent protests are timely, and welcome as long as violence is shunned. They haven’t sprung out from thin air, this is the reaction to a number of events over the last 5 years, at some point the valve had to let off steam to prevent the pressure cooker from exploding. It is heartening is to see the student community take the lead in many places. Students have been affected a lot since 2014, universities have been targets of repeated attacks by the vengeful regime which clearly wants to nip dissent in the bud. They have been nothing short of heroic because their careers are on the line, their resistance gives me hope in these difficult times. The pendulum has to swing the other way and I hope idealistic students are the agents of change.

PakPassion.net: Any Pakistani player you envied and wished to have played for India?

Swashbuckler:
From among the ones I saw live I can't think think of a name, though I respected a few players most notably Younis Khan. But I am obliged to name an old era legend who fits the bill.

Fazal Mahmood, the one who ignited the fire of pace bowling across the border. India’s icons in the nascent stage were batsmen/spinners. But what makes a decent team a strong one is fast bowling, has been the case throughout cricket history. It wasn’t until the emergence of Kapil Dev that we had a pacer worth talking about. Many an Indian team with formidable batting strength and crafty spinners fell short of the mark just because we lacked a couple of decent quicks. Often Pataudi, Solkar, Gavaskar would start proceedings to take shine off the new cherry before spinners could be introduced. Fazal was the reason Pakistan was competitive in overseas matches in its first decade, his legacy was the reason Pakistan became an all conditions top side in the late 70s and 80s. I believe had he played for India our fast bowling culture could have developed a few decades earlier.

PakPassion.net: Who do you think have made most difference in Indian cricket history out of Kapil Dev, Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulkar, Ms Dhoni and Virat Kohli?

Swashbuckler:
Easily Kapil Dev, the quintessential rebel who challenged the conservative mindset of Indian cricket those days. He was the first pace bowler in a country which found that designation alien. Without Kapil, there would never have been a Srinath and the baton wouldn’t have passed to Bumrah via Zaheer. Kapil laid the foundation stone for pace bowling in India the same way Fazal did for Pakistan.

At the age of 24 he propelled India to the most unexpected World Cup triumph till date. 1983 did wonders for cricket in India, made our board realize India’s potential in this sport, and not just on the field. It was the 1983 win which brought the next WC away from England to the SC for the first time despite lots of opposition in ICC boardroom, a shift in balance of power from the erstwhile colonizer to the colonized. The rest is history.

PakPassion.net: Who is your all-time favourite cricketer?

Swashbuckler:
Sachin Tendulkar, the reason I fell in love with the sport as a young boy even though his dominant phase was over. His balance, economy of movement, and efficient bat swing made batting look so simple yet perfect. What I liked most about him was his stillness at the crease. I remember him standing like a statue in Nairobi (2000) when McGrath backed away last moment before delivery, this was after Sachin had hit him for two 6s and a 4 a few balls earlier, twice dancing down the track. Other batsman would have made some trigger movement or premeditated move but Sachin was motionless. The bowler and umpire Bucknor simply smiled at each other, these are the small things that can’t be found in scorecards. I have a bias for the art of batting, in my opinion Sachin perfected it.

PakPassion.net: Any upcoming exciting Indian talent you think is going to be India's future star and you are eager to see in the team?

Swashbuckler:
Devdutt Padikkal, a 19 year old top-order batsman from Karnataka who in his list A debut season last year topped the charts. He also impressed in Syed Mushtaq Ali trophy, decent enough in Ranji on some tough pitches. Attributes include picking length early, lovely bat swing, power, 360 game, importantly the kid looks comfortable against pace and spin alike. He is a rare lefty among a large pool of prospects who are RHBs.

PakPassion.net: Where do you see Babar Azam 5 years down the line?

Swashbuckler:
After Fab Four exits the stage, Babar Azam is one guy who can step in and become the shining light of batsmanship. His ability is beyond doubt, only question is after he hits a rough patch which he inevitably will, can he bounce back? Teams will mark him out as the number one target and video analysts will dissect his game in minute detail. All greats had to go through this phase, from being under the radar to the most prized scalp. Seeing Babar’s attitude I have no doubt he will pass this test emphatically and emerge as a better version of himself by 2025 when he will be at the peak of his powers.

He has potential to be in the Miandad class, possibly even a tier higher. Playing in a weaker team he will have more opportunities to stand out from the crowd but may not have that many match winning efforts to show, something Tendulkar faced in the 90s.

PakPassion.net: Do you think Hassan Ali will ever be able to regain his form the way it was back in 2017 or he will fade away?

Swashbuckler:
I think Hassan Ali’s decline is mainly because he has been figured out by other teams, also his radar went haywire the last I remember. Accuracy and precision can be fixed with rigorous discipline and hard work but the bigger problem is that once the novelty factor wears off there will be steep challenges as India's Kuldeep is finding out now. A lot depends on the intelligence, mental strength and attitude of the player in question. Team management’s trust will have a part to play in aiding his comeback, also his role has to be identified to maximize output. Does the management want him in all-rounder’s slot, workhorse, enforcer, spearhead? We saw how much Ishant improved once Kohli understood how to use him.

He has skills but lacking in height, speed and stock ball. Whether he reinvents himself depends on many factors and ultimately he’ll be master of his destiny for the most part. Time is on his side but competition just got tougher. I don’t have any prophecy, I am just as curious as others.

PakPassion.net: Will India win the Australian Test series this year down-under? Your prediction/analyses please.

Swashbuckler:
Man to man I give the Aussies a slight edge in their conditions. Toss will be vital, if we win more than 2 tosses we have a real shot. Both teams will find it difficult to play catch-up after bowling first, but visitors in general find it tougher all over the world.

I expect India’s batting to shine, compared to 2018-19 we will field better openers and a rejuvenated Rahane to complement Pujara/Kohli, a lot will depend on how we tackle Lyon since we are suspect against offies of his mould, moreover he enjoys psychological edge over few of our accomplished batsmen. Needless to say taking 20 wickets will be tougher this time around against their full strength batting unit, especially with our recent catching troubles.

I predict India will go down fighting 1-2 in a closely contested series. It is the marquee clash between #1 and #2, I just hope we get to see a cracker of a series with both Australia and India at full strength and neither side holding back.

Swashbuckler: Whether the forum is Pakistani or not makes no difference to me. I enjoy the quality of discussion here, especially diversity in viewpoints. Members are nice, moderators are prompt and fair. This makes PakPassion an enjoyable place to hang out, mingling with posters with similar likes and absorbing new perspectives, insights, information, news etc.

I learnt about PakPassion 4-5 years back on twitter while coming across Saj’s handle, don’t remember exactly when but that led me to this forum where I was a lurker before finally taking the plunge during 2017 CT, couldn’t be happier with my decision.

Very nice of you.

A good read from a sensible and mature poster.

Good interview with impressive and interesting insights.

Very nice insight. Hope you have a good career in Indian civil service

One of the best Indian posters. Hope he stays balanced before going the way of other sensible posters.

One of the most entertaining posters in this forum.

His chess posts/general rants are pure fire.

Thanks SB for answering my Qstn abt India's chances in Aus tour this year. & Pp for posting it.
Hope you're wrong for the sake of Indian cricket fans. Repeat of last tour all of India is hoping for. But difficult disagree with your prediction of taking 20 wickets being much tougher - out of which 4 will be Smith & Warner, each match.

Excellent interview. I enjoyed reading this.

Thanks for your kind words guys.

The questions were interesting, wide-ranging and I had great fun answering them. Shout out to all the members who framed the questions.

Thank you [MENTION=93712]MenInG[/MENTION] for making this happen, for giving me the opportunity to express myself. Your prompt and patient responses to my queries were very helpful.

Wonderful, thoroughly enjoyed the interview. I particularly liked his comments about the great Kapil Dev, one of my all time favorite cricketer. He definitely revolutionized the Indian cricket. And at 24 leading a side which was still a minnow in ODI , against an ATG one day side at the biggest cricketing stage and winning the WC must be one of the greatest leadership performance in the history of the game.

Quick question sir

Can u kindly make me understand how the indian military has been politicised ? I have been abroad last 10 years and not followed much in India except cricket and demonetisation . Is the military heading the pakistani military way ? Do you expect them to give u the next pm ?

Agree with ur views on kapil . More important was the fact that he came from rural India . Cricket was a bastion of Bombay before that

Quick question sir

Can u kindly make me understand how the indian military has been politicised ? I have been abroad last 10 years and not followed much in India except cricket and demonetisation . Is the military heading the pakistani military way ? Do you expect them to give u the next pm ?

Agree with ur views on kapil . More important was the fact that he came from rural India . Cricket was a bastion of Bombay before that

Lets keep non cricket stuff off the cricket forum - please start thread in TPS forum

Nice , enjoyed the interview, surprised bh your love for dancing, very rarely di chess and dance combine.

Wonderful, thoroughly enjoyed the interview. I particularly liked his comments about the great Kapil Dev, one of my all time favorite cricketer. He definitely revolutionized the Indian cricket. And at 24 leading a side which was still a minnow in ODI , against an ATG one day side at the biggest cricketing stage and winning the WC must be one of the greatest leadership performance in the history of the game.

Thanks for your kind words.

Yeah what Kapil Dev did in 1983 was special. In the first 2 editions we won only 1 match, against East Africa, losing even to a new team in Sri Lanka. From there beating so many top teams in '83, like Australia, England and West Indies. We beat WI, a juggernaut that went undefeated in '75 and '79 campaigns, not once but twice !!! All members of that WC winning team keep saying that it was only Kapil who had the self-belief and his positivity rubbed off on others.

Some great individual performances by him, notably the 175* against Zimbabwe after they had reduced us to 17/5 in overcast conditions, same Zimbabwe had stunned Australia earlier in the tournament. What clinched the final was Kapil's brilliant overhead running catch to dismiss Viv Richards when he was toying with our bowlers. A very difficult catch made to look easy, and so clutch !!!! Stats don't do justice to all players, Kapil's legacy goes beyond numbers, in many ways he was a trendsetter. Not the best cricketer from our country IMO, but peerless impact and legacy in Indian cricket.

Quick question sir

Kapil was from Chandigarh. But you are right, he didn't come from a traditional cricket centre. Even guys like Mohinder Amarnath and Bedi were products of Delhi. Kapil did face discrimination from the Bombay boys both in the dressing room and at the hands of selection panel, media, ex-players lobby etc. Moreover he was unfairly portrayed as a rustic/simpleton (courtesy projected image by our media) when most of our cricketers were more posh or educated. He was sneered at by many people, probably developed a complex of sorts based on how much he dwelt on it in his book.

Nice interview. A pleasant read.

Thank you.

Nice , enjoyed the interview, surprised bh your love for dancing, very rarely di chess and dance combine.

Thanks man. Yeah my interest in dancing takes many people by surprise because I am a reserved, introverted kind of guy. Happy that this hobby helped me make friends in school and college because I used to be in the dance club, travelling to participate in cultural fests etc. In my spare time I watch dance videos, picking up and rehearsing new moves, trying to broaden my repertoire. Chess and dance do combine when it comes to eccentricity I suppose :afridi.

Back