"Mine is a Simple Approach to Batting" : Haris Sohail

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
The twenty over domestic tournaments in Pakistan have a habit of unearthing young talent and the recently concluded Super 8s competition in Rawalpindi was no different. Teenage left arm pace bowler Zia ul Haq caught the eye with his pace and ability to swing the ball for the Lahore Lions and must have impressed the coaches and selectors present in Rawalpindi.

Amongst the batting talent on show, none impressed more than Sialkot’s left handed batsman Haris Sohail who scored a total of 173 runs in four innings in the Super 8s without being dismissed.

Speaking with PakPassion.net, Haris credited his Sialkot captain Shoaib Malik for his recent success and stated that Malik’s guidance and belief in him were key to his good form.

“I went into the Super 8s tournament knowing that I was part of a very strong Sialkot Stallions squad and the truth is I was unsure whether I would even make the starting line up. I sat out the first match and then waited to see if my opportunity would arrive.”

“Thankfully when my opportunity came in Sialkot’s second match of the tournament against the Karachi Dophins I made 43 not out. I owe a debt of gratitude to Shoaib (Malik) for giving me the opportunity and having faith in my ability. It’s always good to make a solid start in a tournament and that first innings against Karachi gave me a lot of confidence and set me up nicely for the rest of the competition. I’m just really pleased that things went well for me in the Super 8s and was very happy with my form during that tournament. It was a high profile tournament and all the players wanted to do well.”

The highly rated 23 year old has an impressive average of over 46 in first class cricket and was selected for the Pakistan Cricket Board XI against England in the UAE earlier this year. Whilst still relatively inexperienced he feels that being part of an experienced and talented squad like Sialkot in Rawalpindi was a huge confidence boost for him.

“Team unity was the key for Sialkot. There was one goal, one aim for all of us. The players who did not get a chance still supported the greater cause and that was for the team’s success. There was a lot of competition for places and we all wanted to be in the starting eleven, but the backing from the whole squad was excellent. It was a great experience for me to be part of such a strong squad and it can only help in my development as a cricketer.”

After Sohail’s superb performances in the Super 8s and his consistent performances for Punjab and ZTBL in the previous domestic season, he is already being spoken of by many as being ready for a promotion to the senior Pakistan side, but Sohail is ready to bide his time and leave it to the selectors to decide when he is ready for international cricket.

“As a professional cricketer my hope and burning ambition is to play for my country. My job is to play cricket and to score runs and the selector’s job is to select the team. Whenever I get a chance to play for Pakistan, I will give my all and try and do my best. In the meantime I will just try to score runs, to learn and to develop my cricketing skills.

Haris also confirmed that he had been lined up to play league cricket in the North West of England, but that may be put on hold for now due to the possibility of a training camp commencing soon in Lahore.

“I’ve heard there may be a training camp in Lahore and that I may be needed for that. I will find out soon from the Board regarding their plans for me, so once I have received confirmation from the Board regarding the training camp, I will then decide upon when I am coming to England to play league cricket.”

Sohail’s greatest strength in the Super 8s appeared to be that he had a lot of time to play each ball on merit, a skill that seemed to come naturally to him. He confirmed that his batting is based on a simple approach rather than trying to overcomplicate things.

“Whether it’s 20 over, 50 over or Test cricket, the basics of batting remain the same to me and my philosophy doesn’t change. Mine is a simple approach and not an approach where I try to overcomplicate my batting.”

“Twenty over cricket is not just about fours and sixes, you can still play orthodox cricket shots and be successful. You can play shots along the ground and still make a challenging total of 160 to 170 quite easily. I’ve been taught to not overcomplicate things at the crease and keep it simple and that is how I intend to play in future.”

Given the perennial dearth of quality batting talent in the country and with a few international series against some serious opposition in the shape of Sri Lanka and Australia as well as a tentative one against Bangladesh scheduled for this year, the inclusion of Haris Sohail in the national squad remains a distinct possibility and should surprise no one.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's a great talent, really hope to see him in Pakistan colours soon

Looks a real talented batsmen with a lot of time to play his shots. I see him going real far in all formats. Pretty decent T20 average too.

I am not going to say or impress with the words, great talent, stylish shots, great timer of the bat,...but the things that makes him distinguish from the rest of the group ( including from the current team), his ability to use his brain, his mental toughness and ability to finish the game by taking the responsibility.

He is very unique and rare talent in Pakistan cricket. If manage properly, he could be the next great thing in Pakistan cricket.

I am not going to say or impress with the words, great talent, stylish shots, great timer of the bat,...but the things that makes him distinguish from the rest of the group ( including from the current team), his ability to use his brain, his mental toughness and ability to finish the game by taking the responsibility.

He is very unique and rare talent in Pakistan cricket. If manage properly, he could be the next great thing in Pakistan cricket.

This.
I was really impressed that he plays each ball according to its merit, something most of our current players lack

Looks like he's already on the Shoaib Malik bandwagon, but besides that quality player, should really be considered, 23 is just about the right age, rather blood somebody with exposure to domestic cricket than a flashy talent at 19.

hope this guy is not one of those talents who start out promising and end up disappointing, I can point out so many names, Umar Akmal is one of them...

looks to be good for the number 3 position in odis which is what we need desperately right now

What examples have you seen?

I saw one of his innings in pentagular perhaps ,which was televised last year and I was impressed by the way he played his innings. No doubt he has got something in him which others bats lack and he manages his innings very well without getting too much under pressure.

One attribute good batsmen have is that when they play their shots, they have a lot of time to play those shots.

That was one attribute that I noticed straight away when I watched Haris bat.

Looks a very good prospect to me.

...and he credits Shoaib Malik as well..... must be something that many on the forum cannot fathom.

Definitely one for the future. Hopefully Whatmore will the potential in this guy.

Looked great in the FBT20, if it was up to me i would have him in the next LOI squad

One attribute good batsmen have is that when they play their shots, they have a lot of time to play those shots.

That was one attribute that I noticed straight away when I watched Haris bat.

Looks a very good prospect to me.

This.

Added to the fact, he hardly played any risky shots, but always had SR +100, and found it so easy to rotate the strike.

I'm not one to turn on our legends, but is :yk time up in ODIs?

Good batsmen who usually have more time play their strokes wide of cover and wide of mid wicket. Placement is in direct relation with the amount of time you have to play your shots.

:facepalm: the things I said were quite obvious.

This.

Added to the fact, he hardly played any risky shots, but always had SR +100, and found it so easy to rotate the strike.

I'm not one to turn on our legends, but is :yk time up in ODIs?

not an odi legend, his time has been up for years at best he is an India basher like malik , should stay in tests try to play at least a 100. Harris looks like the ideal number 3 out of the current batsmen we have

looks to be good for the number 3 position in odis which is what we need desperately right now

U Akmal should be our number 3. This guy looks like he has the mental toughness required for a lower order maybe 5.

Hafeez
Jamshed
U Akmal
Misbah
Haris
Azam
Afridi
Safaraz
Gul
Ajmal
Cheema
Junaid

U Akmal should be our number 3. This guy looks like he has the mental toughness required for a lower order maybe 5.

Hafeez
Jamshed
U Akmal
Misbah
Haris
Azam
Afridi
Safaraz
Gul
Ajmal
Cheema
Junaid

umar akmal was partially ruined by such moves, I reckon the reason Haris has a decent yet not great list a record is because he bats at 5 or lower, his t20 record before moving up the order wasnt flash.

the middle order in my eyes should be

3.Haris
4. Umar
5. Misbah
6. Hammad

if a player in mentally strong, then he goes one-down.
if a player is mentally fragile he gets to warm the bench

If a player is mentally fragile and still your best ODI batsman then the rest are... :facepalm:

aah yes that justification... which is not really true
how the mighty have fallen - from world's best, best since viv richards, good as sachin, good as virat - to better than others in the team.

umar akmal was partially ruined by such moves, I reckon the reason Haris has a decent yet not great list a record is because he bats at 5 or lower, his t20 record before moving up the order wasnt flash.

the middle order in my eyes should be

3.Haris
4. Umar
5. Misbah
6. Hammad

How can you "partially ruin" a player at the begining of his career? You should give time before deciding whether a move up the order is good for him. He hasn't had more then 1 inning in that position.

I don't want to divert the thread, but promoting Umar Akmal up the order will encourage him to build an innings, thus improve his temprament and (with a bit of help from Whatmore sahib) shot selection. It will benefit him and the team.

At least with Haris at the 4-5 position, there isn't a spot for Malik!

How can you "partially ruin" a player at the begining of his career? You should give time before deciding whether a move up the order is good for him. He hasn't had more then 1 inning in that position.

I don't want to divert the thread, but promoting Umar Akmal up the order will encourage him to build an innings, thus improve his temprament and (with a bit of help from Whatmore sahib) shot selection. It will benefit him and the team.

At least with Haris at the 4-5 position, there isn't a spot for Malik!
Till recently umar akmal was used as a suresh Raina type player, coming in at 6 or 5 to slog or stop a collapse

If the thinking was to only use umar Akmal to slog, then what a waste! Bring in Shahzaib Hasan at that position if thats the case. U Akmal should be used more like a Ghambir type player, ie up the order.

If the thinking was to only use umar Akmal to slog, then what a waste! Bring in Shahzaib Hasan at that position if thats the case. U Akmal should be used more like a Ghambir type player, ie up the order.

Shahzaib cant hit under pressure imo, Hammad Azam is perfectly suited to finisher role as is umar amin

I spoke recently with Haris' Sialkot team mate Naved Arif.

It's always interesting to hear the fellow professional's views on other cricketers and Naved was very complimentary of Haris saying that he has all the ingredients to be a top class cricketer.

He spoke of one particular match a couple of years ago when Haris went into bat with his team 3 wickets down and about 12 runs on the board. Haris hit 4 out of his first 5 deliveries for fours and he and Ayub Dogar hit big hundreds.

Looks a class act, but let's see.

Looking forward to the development of this young star.

I think Pakistan needs a little more left handers in their batting lineup, most teams have a balance of righthanders and lefthanders. Australia (Warner, Marsh, M Hussey) South Africa (Smith, Ingram, Duminy) India (Gambhir, Raina, Jadeja) England (Strauss, Cook, Morgan)

Initially, I thought Umar Amin was a massive talent but he hasn't quite made the breakthrough. Fawad Alam has never really cemented his place. I think Naved Yasin and Haris Sohail are great prospects, Yasin's also a decent bowling option. Besides this two, I'm also excited about 'Little Lara', U19 Prodigy, Rameez Aziz and even Shehrayar Ghani to a lesser extent, who seems like a compatible and responsible batsman. I'd like to see one of these four break into the Pakistan squad as soon as possible.

I think Pakistan needs a little more left handers in their batting lineup, most teams have a balance of righthanders and lefthanders. Australia (Warner, Marsh, M Hussey) South Africa (Smith, Ingram, Duminy) India (Gambhir, Raina, Jadeja) England (Strauss, Cook, Morgan)

Initially, I thought Umar Amin was a massive talent but he hasn't quite made the breakthrough. Fawad Alam has never really cemented his place. I think Naved Yasin and Haris Sohail are great prospects, Yasin's also a decent bowling option. Besides this two, I'm also excited about 'Little Lara', U19 Prodigy, Rameez Aziz and even Shehrayar Ghani to a lesser extent, who seems like a compatible and responsible batsman. I'd like to see one of these four break into the Pakistan squad as soon as possible.

Very pleased for Haris to see his name in the T20 squad today.

The start of a very bright career in my opinion.

Best of luck to Haris in India.

I sincerely hope that he gets a chance to show his skills in the one day series and isn't just there to carry the drinks.

Would like to see him get a chance to play but with the expected inclusion of Misbah, Hafeez, YK, KAkmal, Umar A, Malik and maybe a spot for Jamshed, don't see how he's gonna get in. The "Seniors" don't tend to get benched unless they are feeling a bit under the weather. Haris will be joining Azhar on chai dipty. What a waste.

This.
I was really impressed that he plays each ball according to its merit, something most of our current players lack

The only one who played each ball according to its merit was Shahid Afridi. He firmly believed the the balls were there to be hit for sixes. I great talent we r going to miss in ODI. Harris needs to learn few tricks from him

Hopefully he'll play in all 3 games. I'd love for him to play ahead of Younis.

I really want to see him play, but I am afraid he will go the Umar Amin and Asad Ali way, warm the bench. If Pakistan go 2-0 up he might get the dead rubber.

A big shame that Captain didn't have the confidence in allowing Haris a game in a dead rubber, especially as he decided to drop Azhar. Wonder if Haris's chai dipty was good enough to get him selected to warm the bench in SA? Even if he doesn't get a game in at least he is getting a chance to see a bit of the world, especially as he doesn't have any A team tours lined up.

Pakpassion is going to be one depressing place if he turns out to be an international failure :yk

Most overhyped domestic player in the world.

Loving the way Misbah has continued to troll the fan boys by not giving him even a single game :kapil

Last edited:
Pakpassion is going to be one depressing place if he turns out to be an international failure :yk

Loving the way Misbah has continued to troll the fan boys by not giving him even a single game :kapil

this! PP always hypes up domestic talents and after they fail for a game or two, abuse & forget them and move on to the next scapegoat. Umar Akmal is a constant though :))

I'm still not convinced that he'd do well in International cricket but I guess he does deserve a go to show us if he is capable or not.

this! PP always hypes up domestic talents and after they fail for a game or two, abuse & forget them and move on to the next scapegoat. Umar Akmal is a constant though :))

Agreed.

I think Misbah is a poor captain, but i would take his judgment over numbers on a piece of paper.
He works with Haris on daily basis, must be a reason why he doesn't trust him.

Brilliant batsman.

Misbah is a useless captain who couldn't manage a school cricket team.

How can you tell he will fail if he is not given an opportunity.
I hope he is given a chance, scores big and shuts up all his critics (including you) for good.

Whether he performs or fails is a different story altogether as of now all he can do is pile on the runs at domestic level, which I believe he has done, so deserves a go, esp when Pakistan have players who have been playing for ages and we still wonder why they even get selected.

worth a go this lad, he has done well so let us see how he goes, hopefully he'll do well. I only saw him bat in the CL 2012 and he looked good in the second game, unbeaten 60 odd to see his team home.

Whether he performs or fails is a different story altogether as of now all he can do is pile on the runs at domestic level, which I believe he has done, so deserves a go, esp when Pakistan have players who have been playing for ages and we still wonder why they even get selected.

worth a go this lad, he has done well so let us see how he goes, hopefully he'll do well. I only saw him bat in the CL 2012 and he looked good in the second game, unbeaten 60 odd to see his team home.

You r spor on. Why do we knock a player who has shown what he can do in the platform he has been provided. Poor guy has not even play the international and he os being criticized. While tried and tested fAilure keep getting chances when they even fail in domestic cricket. Most of them dont even play domestic cricket. The man deserve a place on playing x1

How can you tell he will fail if he is not given an opportunity.
I hope he is given a chance, scores big and shuts up all his critics (including you) for good.

When did I say HE WILL FAIL?

Read my post again.

^do you have some sort of problem with haris? Not hyping him up but he looks simple and descent enough batsman, In Sha Allah he will get success at International level, we need to stop being this much negative, we are not to judge a player before giving him a chance or after a couple of failures.

^do you have some sort of problem with haris? Not hyping him up but he looks simple and descent enough batsman, In Sha Allah he will get success at International level, we need to stop being this much negative, we are not to judge a player before giving him a chance or after a couple of failures.

I don't and I am not judging him. All I said was it would be very funny to see the reaction of the posters here if he flops for Pakistan. The way they have pinned their hopes to him and the amount of abuses and insults Misbah gets because of Haris is very amusing.

Agreed.

I think Misbah is a poor captain, but i would take his judgment over numbers on a piece of paper.
He works with Haris on daily basis, must be a reason why he doesn't trust him.

lol and there was a reason why misbah kept giving chances to farhat and malik. That reason is "misbah is a clueless old man". If U take his judgement over stats then get ready for another set of failures.

I don't and I am not judging him. All I said was it would be very funny to see the reaction of the posters here if he flops for Pakistan. The way they have pinned their hopes to him and the amount of abuses and insults Misbah gets because of Haris is very amusing.

Misbah will give him a chance, Everyone needs to be positive .

sn6t.jpg

I doubt Haris will get a chance in this series unless we have a dead rubber. If they drop Shafiq in the Next match they will bring in Amin.

Can't believe Haris didn't play the warm-up match.

I believe there are some issues in the backtround here. Either he isn't 100 % fit or Misbah just doesn't trust him.

I doubt Haris will get a chance in this series unless we have a dead rubber. If they drop Shafiq in the Next match they will bring in Amin.

I believe there are some issues in the backtround here. Either he isn't 100 % fit or Misbah just doesn't trust him.

so Jamshed is 100% fit? I wonder...

Don't hype him. Don't hype him.

He may be good or bad, but let's figure it out minus the hype, which basically sets him up for failure like countless others before.

Haris&Umar amin

with Asad shafique following in the footsteps of younus khan as being a very mediocre ODI batsman,i guess it will be very unfair not to give 2-3 matches in this series to Haris sohail...Umar amin can play as an allrounder in place of wahab or asad ali...So when rest are failing why deny these two a good run???? at least see what they have to offer...I am a big misbah fan but just feel he feels insecure giving a new middle order bat a chance as he used to do with Umar Akmal....Umar should be batting one down in place of the bowling allrounder Hafeez......Come on Misbah....

Dont worry Amin will eventually turn to be like :shafiq as he will made bat from no. 3 to no.7 will play 2-3 games then gets dropped and then in the team again..........why can;t let Asad play this full series before looking towards somebody else

Don't hype him. Don't hype him.

He may be good or bad, but let's figure it out minus the hype, which basically sets him up for failure like countless others before.

This. On merit he should play. Whether he's actually good remains to be seen.

Definitely deserves a go ahead of Shafiq.

it shouldn't even need debating with these facts in front of us.

What is wrong with Selecters / Coach / Captain can they not SEE this ? Smacks of total incompetence or worse corruption

sn6t.jpg

WTH are talking about mate? Harris will definitely play in the 3rd ODI definitely.

so Jamshed is 100% fit? I wonder...

Its not about fitness.... its about taking risks... misbah i dont think will try a debut batsmen when we are 1-1 .. he will either go with amin or he will stick with shafiq. What i dont get is shafiq is a number 3-4 batsmen. if you are going to play a batsmen then why not try him in a a position he feels most comfortable in.
If he does replace shafiq then it will be for amin at number 6 :facepalm: :facepalm: when he is clearly a number 3-4 batsmen. :facepalm:

Its not about fitness.... its about taking risks... misbah i dont think will try a debut batsmen when we are 1-1 .. he will either go with amin or he will stick with shafiq. What i dont get is shafiq is a number 3-4 batsmen. if you are going to play a batsmen then why not try him in a a position he feels most comfortable in.
If he does replace shafiq then it will be for amin at number 6 :facepalm: :facepalm: when he is clearly a number 3-4 batsmen. :facepalm:

The problem is Hafeez . He's basically a number 6 batsmen. He's just blocking the place of number 3 for either Harris, Amin or umar akmal. Wonder how many more times Hafeez has to fail before he is dropped . Also Afridi has no business being in this team. We need reliable, steady all rounder in the team such as Hammad azam. No chance of any of these things happening until Misbah is here. Obviously he has a say in the playing 11. So you can't pin all the blame on our incompetent selectors . We also need an accumulator in the team who can rotate the strike . Fawad alam is the man . But his career has been destroyed I think.

No chance amin might just sneek in but harris chances looks very vey bleak until zim if and only if he is selected

malik might make a come back in zim series (misbah fav ........... Fill in the blanks please )

need To bring Both Umar amin and Haris sohail in team
Drop Asad Shafiq and Asad ali

Irfan
Wahab-Junaid
Umar amin 3rd pacer
Hafeez
Shahid Afridi
Saeed ajmal

I liked his approach yesterday, seemed calm and assured at the crease in a difficult situation.

The most important thing is to ensure he is given a proper and extended run in the one day team.

If Pakistan just decided to go with all inexperienced youngsters then they will lose most of the games for the next 2 years even against a team like Bangladesh.

He looks composed , technical and seems to have a range of shots in his bag too. Hope he gets a proper run

Back