"Mine is a Simple Approach to Batting" : Haris Sohail

If Pakistan just decided to go with all inexperienced youngsters then they will lose most of the games for the next 2 years even against a team like Bangladesh.

Well thats better then losing with malik farhat afridi etc in your team. I would rather have youngsters. Im sure most people would agree with me too

Looks more promising than couple of other guys , at least appears to have a good head on his shoulders ...

Feel really sorry for him, grossly mistreated by the great visionary Misbah and the selectors.

Quality batsman - rotates strike effortlessly, good solid technique and sound footwork. Better than Fawad Alam.

Was unfairly treated both by selectors and captain..Has been the 2nd best FC batsman for a while after Fawad but didn't get many opportunities..

Why does it have to be Fawad Alam? He should be alongside Fawad Alam in place of one of the old brigade! It's them that need pensioning off.

If its a shootout between the two, I would go for Haris. Ideally, he should be in he squad ahead of the team man Younis Khan.

What a travesty.He should be playing for Pakistan in all three formats.

Told you all 3 years ago what a superb batsman this guy is and all my predictions are coming right on batsman aren't they?

U. Akmal, Haris, Amin, Maqsood, Babar Azam (in the future) are the only 4 young batsman who can play all 3 formats with ease.

Yes, congratulations. Your team almost won today, fought well.

Saw him today after a very long time and he looked as good as he did 2 years ago. Would have taken Pak A to victory had he not gotten run out by silly mistake.

Oh well...till he gets any regular chances in the team lets enjoy the Misbah, Younis Khan, Professor etc and their experience in ODI squad and watch them enjoy the pay off of green $hirt$ for their well earned $ervices in year$ that they have Pak cricket.

Only in Pakistan would trash like Younis keep quality like him out of the team.

U. Akmal, Haris, Amin, Maqsood, Babar Azam (in the future) are the only 4 young batsman who can play all 3 formats with ease.

I am pretty much sold at all the names you mentioned other than Maqsood. To me he is least technically and mentally capable in that lot. How ironic that he is the only name in the list that has gotten consistent chances in last few series's or is likely of given consistent chances in coming future.

I see 4 flaws in Maqsood:

1) He struggles to play down the ground.

2) Favors the leg side too much

3) Falls over his front foot

4) head not steady

The last 3 are all interrelated and the reason why he struggles against spin but he's a very gifted timer. Think with a little tweaking he can be right up there. Has got potential without a doubt.

You nailed it again. I would just add this

- Does not seem to be a believer in strike rotation

4) head not steady

The last 3 are all interrelated and the reason why he struggles against spin but he's a very gifted timer. Think with a little tweaking he can be right up there. Has got potential without a doubt.

Only in Pakistan would trash like Younis keep quality like him out of the team.

I was watching his interview and he looks angry after being sidelined from the ODI team and wish to comeback and play wc15..I don't know why our seniors don't read endings on the wall..

I am pretty much sold at all the names you mentioned other than Maqsood. To me he is least technically and mentally capable in that lot. How ironic that he is the only name in the list that has gotten consistent chances in last few series's or is likely of given consistent chances in coming future.

Maqsood can't play spin which is a shame..the first thing Asian batsmen should be good at is playing spin..No other Asian team struggles against spin as our team..The Tahir who we made world class is struggling to get a wicket against SLanka..

Maqsood can't play spin which is a shame..the first thing Asian batsmen should be good at is playing spin..No other Asian team struggles against spin as our team..The Tahir who we made world class is struggling to get a wicket against SLanka..

His batting against spin is an indication of how he mentally appraches his game. He believes in slogging and will waste opportunities to score singles and doubles (because of his inability) and will probably get couple of hoicks and score some runs & is going to be happy with himself. No self analysis, no desire to improve himself.

Maqsood plays too many aerial shots, yes, but he doesn't slog. That's absurd!

His batting against spin is an indication of how he mentally appraches his game. He believes in slogging and will waste opportunities to score singles and doubles (because of his inability) and will probably get couple of hoicks and score some runs & is going to be happy with himself. No self analysis, no desire to improve himself.

he plays aerial yes, but he doesn't slog.

And he is not that bad against spin.Watch his innings against SA and then SL to get an Idea.He was very bad during the WT20 And Asia Cup though.Thats more due to his batting position constantly being changed and getting dropped here and there more than anything else.

Mods or Admins must voice up for Haris Sohail, The guy seems like a perfect Batsman. Got very few chances and as far as I remember in one innings he batted at 8 while other time he got out to a brilliant catch.

Pakistan have a good core of young batsmen provided they are picked and have some patience shown in them.
Ahmad Shahzad has had a superb year, Fawad is a run machine, UA we all know and Harris Sohail we all know about. Throw in Azhar Ali, Maqsood and one or two others then we can have a very solid base.

Not surprised one bit on Haris.

Quite clearly second most gifted from PAK after U.Akmal.

He needs to bat at three-four though.He was doing great there.Why he was was removed from there is beyond me.
See the series vs Lanka and SA.

Then Asia Cup and WT20 happened.One match is is at 5 the next 7 then 6, 8 and gets dropped in between.No wonder he is under performing.

But still he had two three good knocks.The 30 odd vs India in WT20 and then 40 in the Asia Cup.That partnership won us the game.S he can play spin Al-right.I think most people are basing there opinions on that game against WI.

^We have batsman but have no Idea how to get rid of Younis Khan who never had any potential particularly in ODis and T20i.

have been saying it time and time again. this man is wayyyy better than even fawad who has himself proved to be good. haris has a game for every format, is comfortable against pace and spin and has a great temperament. he is a must in all formats. but i think we all know the reason he is being kept out

4) head not steady

He struggles against the short ball because of the flaws you mentioned.

Usually talent is overrated.

I see Maqsood as technically the most weakest of all.

Yet I see him scoring many runs for Pakistan because of his attitude.

That's all.

He was given games against average teams like the West Indies and Zimbabwe but squandered his opportunity. The Selectors are not going to take it kindly if you cannot score against the minnows and get beat.

He is a middle order batsman and there are a lot of suitors already for the 4,5, and 6 slots in tests and ODI. He can probably make it the T20 team in place of Malik.

he is a very good talent...he needs to improve a bit against spinners as he needs to develop sweep/slog sweep shot. He wont get away by coming down the track as quality bowlers will get him out. I am sure with a little tuning Haris Sohail, Sohaib Maqsood, Fawad Alam and Umar Akmal can do wonders for Pakistan n i hope waqar younis n mushy are the right people for them...

He was given games against average teams like the West Indies and Zimbabwe but squandered his opportunity. The Selectors are not going to take it kindly if you cannot score against the minnows and get beat.

He is a middle order batsman and there are a lot of suitors already for the 4,5, and 6 slots in tests and ODI. He can probably make it the T20 team in place of Malik.

lol what about fawad? i'm guessing it was wrong to drop fawad after all those ODIs he played before his comeback . isnt it???

He got 1 game at #5 against WI and he scored 30 odd. He got another game against Zimbabwe at #6 or #7 and he got out courtesy of a brilliant catch.

Regardless of his runs, he should have been given a long run because he has the technique and other needed things to be successful. It wouldn't have been long before he scored big.

He rotates the strike so easily, plays spin effortlessly, maintains balance, and plays with a straight bat.

lol what about fawad? i'm guessing it was wrong to drop Fawad after all those ODIs he played before his comeback . isnt it???

Fawad's last 4 scores were 48, 59*, 6, and 1 and that too against the best bowling attack in the world. Haris had the excellent opportunity to perform because he got the chance to play against weaker teams. He should have performed in atleast one of those innings. Now he can only get in if someone else does not perform. That is the reality of Pakistan test cricket.

he plays aerial yes, but he doesn't slog.

And he is not that bad against spin.Watch his innings against SA and then SL to get an Idea.He was very bad during the WT20 And Asia Cup though.Thats more due to his batting position constantly being changed and getting dropped here and there more than anything else.

So his batting position constantly being changed and that has affected his performances? Then why does he still get picked as batsman ahead of UMAR who has constantly being dropped from team since Misbah became captain and not only this has to keep wickets too but he still is able to perform and score runs. Why does maqsood bats ahead of UMAR in batting order and will bat ahead of UMAR in misbah's captaincy in future?

He got 1 game at #5 against WI and he scored 30 odd. He got another game against Zimbabwe at #6 or #7 and he got out courtesy of a brilliant catch.

Regardless of his runs, he should have been given a long run because he has the technique and other needed things to be successful. It wouldn't have been long before he scored big.

He rotates the strike so easily, plays spin effortlessly, maintains balance, and plays with a straight bat.

He got 4 ODIs and 1 T20 and he failed in all except one in which he did not get a chance to bat. His highest score was 26. Strike rate is below average 68.

In Pakistan cricket the problem is that the youngsters are not being given a good run so that one can judge if he belongs at that level or not. Other teams back their players and we should do the same. We are doing it with Azhar and Asad so hopefully they can develop their international game. Now we have to do the same for other players as well such as Fawad, Sohaib, and even Haris now that passengers like Faisal have been booted out of the team.

Disagree that maqsood is scoring or will score '"many"' runs due to his attitude.

"'Any"' runs that he is going to score are going to be because he is the flavor of the year 2013 due to his couple of knocks against SA when opponents didn't know his weaknesses and will get all the chances under Misbah captaincy going forward.

Usually talent is overrated.

I see Maqsood as technically the most weakest of all.

Yet I see him scoring many runs for Pakistan because of his attitude.

That's all.

Fawad's last 4 scores were 48, 59*, 6, and 1 and that too against the best bowling attack in the world. Haris had the excellent opportunity to perform because he got the chance to play against weaker teams. He should have performed in atleast one of those innings. Now he can only get in if someone else does not perform. That is the reality of Pakistan test cricket.
what was fawad's strike rate? i see he failed in the last few games as well. but his exclusion was not justified.

i would have to disagree with u when u justify haris' exclusion after i guess 2 or 3 games. that is just not right. he should have been given a run of 10-15 games. thats how every cricket nation goes about. Why was he selected in the first place if he was to be discarded after 3 games. in my honest opinion i believe haris is a much better player than fawad alam and should be playing all formats.

Why don't the Pak selectors select guys averaging 50's in FC when they select guys averaging 30s in FC

Unfortunately your opinion doesn't count to much and I have nothing against Haris. That is how Pakistan cricket is. If you are a youngster and do not have any support you are likely to be dropped pretty quickly if you fail a few times. Fawad has no support because no one rates his technique. Yet he has survived at the international level. We cannot say the same about Haris because we do not know how he will perform against the like of Steyn and co. It is pure conjecture to say he is better than Fawad. That's what the arm chair experts here said about Amin and were proven wrong.

No one has been proven wrong. Give them a bit of time, not many perform from day one. Identify the right players and stick with them.

Both Haris and Amin are very good.

Why don't the Pak selectors select guys averaging 50's in FC when they select guys averaging 30s in FC

Because the brain of Pakistani selectors is wired differently than selectors of every other cricket playing countries....

They do select them but there appears to be no consistent policy of giving these players a prolonged run at the international level. Also, these players are at a disadvantage because they are debuting in conditions they are not familiar with. It is not easy to score on away tours. Many batting greats have struggled earlier on in their careers on away tours.

Fawad scored 150+ on debut as an opener away from home yet was dropped after only playing 3 tests. Makes no sense whatsoever.

He got 4 ODIs and 1 T20 and he failed in all except one in which he did not get a chance to bat. His highest score was 26. Strike rate is below average 68.

In Pakistan cricket the problem is that the youngsters are not being given a good run so that one can judge if he belongs at that level or not. Other teams back their players and we should do the same. We are doing it with Azhar and Asad so hopefully they can develop their international game. Now we have to do the same for other players as well such as Fawad, Sohaib, and even Haris now that passengers like Faisal have been booted out of the team.

He needs to be given more chances.

No one has been proven wrong. Give them a bit of time, not many perform from day one. Identify the right players and stick with them.

Both Haris and Amin are very good.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt. If after 30 games you still average in the teens with one 50 against a minnow then there is no one else to blame but you.

Haris has to wait for his turn now that he has missed his opportunity to perform and that too against a minnow.

Umar Amin is batting at the wrong position. He's an opener and himself prefers that position.

He said so in a recent interview. Opener/number 3 isn't a big deal. Point is, he should be batting in the top order.

He said so in a recent interview. Opener/number 3 isn't a big deal. Point is, he should be batting in the top order.
Sure ..........

but only in the domestic circuit .....

where he belongs.

Last edited:
Amin should thank his stars that he wasn't sent to bat as an opener against the likes of Steyn and co. other wise his average would have been in single digits.

Fawad was asked to bat out of position and he hit a 100 so batting out of position is just another excuse and an unwillingness to face reality.

Not every batsman is versatile and capable of playing in different positions. Amin doesn't belong in domestic cricket, he belongs in the national team playing in the top order.

4) head not steady

Maqsood is an average batsman, he will get dropped ultimately, hasnt played any substantial innings apart from his debut and 2nd match..

Not every batsman is versatile and capable of playing in different positions. Amin doesn't belong in domestic cricket, he belongs in the national team playing in the top order.

Amin has himself to blame his case is not similar to Haris, Amin has struggled in domestic and also in international cricket too, Yes he looks to have potential but so far he has been a big flop and also looks to have mental issues

Maqsood is an average batsman, he will get dropped ultimately, hasnt played any substantial innings apart from his debut and 2nd match..

His 70 in the first ODI vs SL is his best innings to date and looked set for a hundred had Hafeez not sold him a dummy, was also good in SA in the second ODI in difficult conditions.

I rate him, technically flawed but is a natural batsman. Very good timer.

I agree that Amin has flopped big time so far but it would be shame if he is discarded because he's clearly a good batsman.

Amin is a career 30 avg bat at best. He should be no where near the international team.

Hairs Sohail on the other hand is one the best young bats in pakistan at the moment. Its a shame that he is almost 26 years and has only played 4 ODI matches, when he is clearly better suited for Test cricket.

Haris is a guy who can potentially be our number 3 on all formats IMO.

Travesty that he hasn't gotten more of a chance, especially when you consider he batted behind afridi in one of his games :facepalm:

As for fawad v haris

It's no secret who is the more complete batsman. Having a said that I reckon in the future both will be key test players, and so far fawad has more than earned a few Odis

Last edited:
Its a shame haris is being compared with Fawad. They both should walk in to team Pak. I've said this for some time- our future middle order- Haris, Fawad, Maqsood, Akmal in tests.

Back