Mohammad Amir “mentally shattered”

Pk-zindabaad

Local Club Star
Runs
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s brilliant young paceman Mohammad Amir is shattered at being jailed for deliberately bowling no-balls but will come back a clean player and a good man, a former mentor said Friday.

The 19-year-old left-arm bowler, once regarded as the hottest new talent in the game, was sent to the Feltham young offenders institute for six months for his role in fixing part of Lord’s Test against England in August 2010.

His Test captain Salman Butt was sent down for 30 months, fellow new-ball partner Mohammad Asif one year and agent Mazhar Majeed 32 months after they took money to set up deliberate no-balls during the match.

Asif Bajwa, whose academy in the garrison city of Rawalpindi groomed Amir in the 1990s, said the youngster was “mentally shattered”.

“I told him that he should be mentally prepared for this, but once he comes I will hide him from this cruel world and make him a better human being and a clean cricketer,” Bajwa told AFP, saying he spoke to Amir on Thursday.

“He is very worried about his future. I was talking to him on phone every day and I have told him that once he comes back I will not allow him to meet anyone, he needs mental peace,” said Bajwa.

Amir was the only player to plead guilty, a step which Judge Jeremy Cooke said “took courage” and saved him a nine-month sentence.

Bajwa, 43, said the verdict was inevitable after such damning evidence but “very, very sad for a youngster”.

But he refused to accept any blame for not better grooming the prodigy, instead pointing the finger at team management.

“As a young boy he was very disciplined and straight forward but once you come into the limelight, into international cricket, it’s tough to handle yourself,” said Bajwa.

“I think 80 per cent of the blame goes to the management of the England tour. Has anyone called manager Yawar Saeed? Has anyone asked the security manager of the tour how unwanted people mixed up with the players? No one has done that,” he said.

“I fear more players will fall in the pits if strict measures are not taken,” said Bajwa.

“When you send your kids to school, you know a strict teacher will take care of his every move, but not in the Pakistan team.”

http://www.dawn.com/2011/11/04/jailed-amir-shattered.html

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s brilliant young paceman Mohammad Amir is shattered at being jailed for deliberately bowling no-balls but will come back a clean player and a good man, a former mentor said Friday.

The 19-year-old left-arm bowler, once regarded as the hottest new talent in the game, was sent to the Feltham young offenders institute for six months for his role in fixing part of Lord’s Test against England in August 2010.

His Test captain Salman Butt was sent down for 30 months, fellow new-ball partner Mohammad Asif one year and agent Mazhar Majeed 32 months after they took money to set up deliberate no-balls during the match.

Asif Bajwa, whose academy in the garrison city of Rawalpindi groomed Amir in the 1990s, said the youngster was “mentally shattered”.

“I told him that he should be mentally prepared for this, but once he comes I will hide him from this cruel world and make him a better human being and a clean cricketer,” Bajwa told AFP, saying he spoke to Amir on Thursday.

He is very worried about his future. I was talking to him on phone every day and I have told him that once he comes back I will not allow him to meet anyone, he needs mental peace,” said Bajwa.

Amir was the only player to plead guilty, a step which Judge Jeremy Cooke said “took courage” and saved him a nine-month sentence.

Bajwa, 43, said the verdict was inevitable after such damning evidence but “very, very sad for a youngster”.

But he refused to accept any blame for not better grooming the prodigy, instead pointing the finger at team management.

“As a young boy he was very disciplined and straight forward but once you come into the limelight, into international cricket, it’s tough to handle yourself,” said Bajwa.

“I think 80 per cent of the blame goes to the management of the England tour. Has anyone called manager Yawar Saeed? Has anyone asked the security manager of the tour how unwanted people mixed up with the players? No one has done that,” he said.

“I fear more players will fall in the pits if strict measures are not taken,” said Bajwa.

When you send your kids to school, you know a strict teacher will take care of his every move, but not in the Pakistan team.”

http://www.dawn.com/2011/11/04/jailed-amir-shattered.html

Dramay Baazi!!

a lot of funny threads roaming around here:

"I will be back"- Amir
"PCB did not educate me enough about corruption" - Amir
Amir "mentally shattered" - Bajwa
Amir's new home
"I will hang myself if my son is proven guilt" - Butt snr
"An angry teammate blew the whistle" - Azhar Majeed
"Afridi had a close relationship to Mazhar Majeed" - Butt snr
"ICC anti-corruption unit is 'toothless tiger'" - Andrew Strauss
''Ban corrupt countries from cricket'' - BBC
"Ian Chappell wants life bans for trio"
"We will provide legal aid to convicted cricketers"- Malik

Am I the only one who thinks this is all too cliched?

Not sure about "cruel world", but I agree with the idea of taking him away from the spotlight.

He needs to stay FAR away from the media. No giving interviews when he comes back, no cheap publicity to stay in the public's eye.

He needs to just focus on repairing his life and maybe having a respectable cricketing career after his ban.

I can't imagine if it had happened in England these questions wouldn't have been asked. No surprise that in Pakistan's case this has just slipped off the radar.

For the next five years this kid needs to suck it up and keep his mouth shut, the more publicity and public appearances he makes the more people would turn on him, if he keeps doing a Afridi than he deserves a life ban.

You know when he gets out he will go a tour of TV stations and then do everything to stay in the public eye. He just needs to stay quiet and fit for the day he`s allowed back.

I'm sure he will learn his lesson

Was this punishment deserved? I think so. I doubt he didn't know what he was doing was wrong, to be honest

He's been through a lot and it'll only get tough in prison and eventually when he gets back to Pakistan and faces the disgraceful backlash.

He'll need to be keep himself strong and stay away from the spotlight.

I was mentally shattered: when they were caught, when they use to lose deliberately. Keep shattering kid!!

Last edited:
mentally shattered to be caught with his hand in the cookie jar

He had his chance to come clean but he acted like he did nothing wrong. I have no sympathies for him

For the next five years this kid needs to suck it up and keep his mouth shut, the more publicity and public appearances he makes the more people would turn on him, if he keeps doing a Afridi than he deserves a life ban.

Agreed. If he has something to say, say it now and get it over and done with. Best thing for him now is to keep a low profile.

I dont get it, why isnt Aameer sent to a Low class prison?? Like D or something?

“When you send your kids to school, you know a strict teacher will take care of his every move, but not in the Pakistan team.”
:14:

:14:

Did that guy seriously compare an International cricket team made of adults to a school?

:zaka

I dont get it, why isnt Aameer sent to a Low class prison?? Like D or something?

He is not old enough to be in a Cat D. There is no such thing as an open prison for young offenders in Britain, I think.

Yeh hi kuch hotay hai jub tum apne mulk ko jund paisoon ki liyay baich do.

PBC and Pakistan failed to protect a brand of Pakistan. Brand whoch could bring Pakistan alot of good in next coming years. They main reason is education and curruption and we have seen in all other places in Pakistan.

Every one me u +++ has for sure done some bad stuff in our life spesialy when were young. Jail and Ban on Amir was too much. No other kid in UK get that kind of jail for first time crime. He hasnet killed any one.

I ask Pakistanies give him another chance and help him out of this. Just think with cool mind.

Fixer,spot fixer................*******,,,ab mentally shattered nahin to aur kya.

This fixer should not be allowed to return to cricket

To all the negativity...I am with Atherton (i.e. believe in second chances...if he's truly sorry for his actions).

What a BUMP!
Amir can't be mentally shattered , He is most mentally strong Cricketer currently

Back