Mohammad Shahzad - Afghanistan's wicket-keeper batsman!

shahrukh619

ODI Debutant
Runs
This guy scored 51 and 74 against the No.1 Test Team, England. He ended up recieving the man of the match award.

This is not his only achievment.

Back in February 2010, Afghanistan were playing Canada in the intercontinental cup, a 4 day first class match. Afghanistan had to chase 494 runs on the last day of the match. With the help of Shahazad scoring 214* runs in 258 balls, Afghanistan ended up winning that game.

can Afghanistan players play for Pakistan like Irish and Welsh do for England??

i don't think they can unless they have pakistani passport aswell.

I have seen mohammad shehzad play so many times and he has always played well. He is a good keeper as well as a good batsman.

I was there at the ground when he won that game against canada. He looks kind of unfit, but looks like a good solid player. After the game, shook everyone's hand in the stands lol

Mohammad Shahzad can play for Pakistan, as he grew up in Pak. This guy could be the one keeper we have been looking for.

Would love to have him in Pak team

Only thing is PCB won't know if he can play for Pak as they don't have any kind of planning

One of our domestic teams should be looking to get him and maybe he can play for Pakistan.

Let's poach him already!! We desperately need a good wicket keeper batsman in Test matches which will allow us to play a 5th bowler if needed...

I'm sure Zaka could use his Government links to get this lad a passport

Mohammad Shahzad can play for Pakistan, as he grew up in Pak. This guy could be the one keeper we have been looking for.

Would love to have him in Pak team

Really? If this is the case, we should have him do whatever the process is to switch countries! Maybe he can ask, well, every player in the England team! :))

I don't care how good he is. The Pakistani cricket team is for Pakistanis not Afghans.

it's not like they are illegal immigrants, or don't live in Pak. Shahzad has lived in Pak in the past.

Pakistan needs to get this guy.
Btw Waqar Younis also lived in UAE. Din't he?

Certainly looked decent but Afghanistan will never develop if Pakistan begins to poach the few good cricketers they have. Also without consistent quality cricket it is difficult to tell how good he (and several of his colleagues) really are. Remember Afghanistan were hammered by Pakistan A not too long ago, and looked very poor in the T20 Cup.

It also sends out a bad message to domestic cricketers in Pakistan who have put in the hard yards but are quickly superseded by a new candidate out of nowhere.

He can definitely play in subcontinent and do well but take him to England, Australia or South Africa and then see!!! But then again even the Indian superstars cannot perform in those countries.

As for him being fat I though that would effect his wicket keeping but according to someone who watched the game he took some stunning catches.

awesome batsman and good keeper

no let them stay with the afghan team

politics within our team will prob ruin their careers and then they can never go back and play for anybody again

want afghanistan to become a good team, not crap

Last edited:
Cant believe people are seriously advocating having a guy who has only played 9 firsct class games, nearly all against minnow icc member teams to come play for pak after scoring two fifties in a side game against england. Maybe we should bring along that canadian cheema too.

Considering majority of his games are against minnows, his list A and t20 figures are far from impressive. The two occasions he played against pak A he scored 2 and 4 and was promptly dropped for another wicket keeper.

Afg can keep him, pak arent that desperate to need afg cricketers, adnan has done a decent job recently.

awesome batsman and good keeper

no let them stay with the afghan team

politics within our team will prob ruin their careers and then they can never go back and play for anybody again

want afghanistan to become a good team, not crap

If Afghanistan doesn't succeed in becoming a good team, then Shahzad might end up like Steve Tikolo.............................

Under this management, i don't see Afghanistan improving. They were better off with Allah Dad and Kabir Khan. As soon as both of these guys left, there has been poor selection, and if this poor selection continues, then i don't see Afghanistan qualifing the next world cup.

Remember Afghanistan were hammered by Pakistan A not too long ago, and looked very poor in the T20 Cup.

I think you forgot that Afghanistan was able to restrict South Africa for 137, that so only cause of Hammid Hassan, who also could play for Pakistan.

We wouldn't really need Hamid Hassan as we already have great bowlers in our team. The big keeper would be perfect! He only averages a lame 70 with the bat as a keeper.

Hamid Hassan is much better then all these greats we have. You should had watch his bowling against SOuth Africa and India in the world T20.

You know this is really hypocritical of you guys.

First you have a go at England for all their apparently "imported Saffers" and now you are banging on about ways in which you can get Afghanistans best player to play for you.

I think Pakistan has so many players that you should give us some instead. Like Yassir Shah etc.

I don't care how good he is. The Pakistani cricket team is for Pakistanis not Afghans.

+1, we have more than enough talent in our own country, we don't need to stoop to england's level and start poaching players from other teams

We are not giving fair chance to full Pakistani born talented keeper like Sarfraz Ahmed and now some people want to steal Afghan keeper.

First you have a go at England for all their apparently "imported Saffers" and now you are banging on about ways in which you can get Afghanistans best player to play for you.

We have given players to everyone.

South Africa: Imran Tahir

England: Owaish Shah

Australia: Usman Khawaja

Some Indian fans want Azad Kashmir born Pakistani Fast Bowler to play for them after he impressed Rahul Dravid in the nets.

Exactly!

Some Indian fans want Azad Kashmir born Pakistani Fast Bowler to play for them after he impressed Rahul Dravid in the nets.

:)) Steal?

Imran Tahir, Owais Shah and Usman Khwaja are legal citizens of the countries they are living in.

You don't join some other team just randomly. You need to have nationality of that country.

That Azad Kashmir bowler only bowled to Dravid in the nets. I don't know from where you got that people wanted him to play for India, when he can't as he is not a citizen of India.........

Usman Khawaja and Owais Shah move abroad when they were young kids, and along with there parents they decided to settle there.

Imran Tahir moved to South Africa due to wife.

i don't think we have given our players to anyone. those players decided to leave us. Shah and Khawaja became national of other country way before they start playing professional cricket. While Tahir was not able to get selected and left country.

Back to discussion, I am against this idea of getting players from other countries. To me it didn't make any sense. Pakistani team should be consist of Pakistanis. Pakistanis who are Pakistanis not for cricketing reasons.

If Afghanistan doesn't succeed in becoming a good team, then Shahzad might end up like Steve Tikolo.............................

Under this management, i don't see Afghanistan improving. They were better off with Allah Dad and Kabir Khan. As soon as both of these guys left, there has been poor selection, and if this poor selection continues, then i don't see Afghanistan qualifing the next world cup.

I think you forgot that Afghanistan was able to restrict South Africa for 137, that so only cause of Hammid Hassan, who also could play for Pakistan.

doesnt matter

under what management?
under this management taj malik,kabir khan they rose alot of divisions, qualified for worldcup
attained odi statuses and they arent even associates, they are affliates, if anybody can improve out of every minnow it is these guys, there is an abundance of talent,

and hope they stay in afghanistan and see them rise to prominence...not lose their good players to other teams, and theres no way they would choose to play for another team ahead of afghanistan anyways so asking mohammad shahzad and hamid hasan to swap team would make no difference to them...
unlike morgan,rankin they actually love their country lol

If Shahzad had played domestic in Pakistan and was groomed as a cricketer in the country then I would not have a problem with him playing for Pak. As it stands he has played most of his cricket in Afghanistan and is a product of the Afghan system - let him stay with the Afghans.

I don't care where a cricketer is born, but if he hasn't been a product of the domestic cricket of Pakistan's country then he's a non-option. What's the point of cultivating a grassroot system in the first place if you're just going to cherry pick players from other countries?

It's a pity that Afghanistan isn't receiving the support it deserves from Asian Cricket Council. We have had Hong Kong and UAE play Asia Cup in the past, why not let Afghanistan play as well? Will be a great boost for cricket in Afghanistan

The main gripe with the English team is that there is not or two exceptions, half the bloody team is South African! That really is taking the ****. It would be understandable if it was only KP they poached as he would be an improvement to any teams batting lineup. So you've missed the point slightly.

Kabir Khan has been rehired as coach, at least heard it from an Afghan friend.

Nopes Kabir Khan just started the UAE training camp for the Scotland tour today and he was hired 6 months ago for the UAE job, so don't think he is going back to his previous job

The main gripe with the English team is that there is not or two exceptions, half the bloody team is South African! That really is taking the ****. It would be understandable if it was only KP they poached as he would be an improvement to any teams batting lineup. So you've missed the point slightly.

Go on, who which players were developed by the saffers then?

Strauss? Nope, lived in England since he was 7, learnt cricket in England and went to primary, second and University in England.

Cook? He's English through and through.

Trott? Yes, he was South African and came through their system but really credit goes to county cricket for developing him.

KP? Yes, but he wasn't allowed to play for South Africa due to the quota system which was ridiculous. And anyway, he's been at warwrickshire since he was 19, so you can hardly say it was the Saffers who developed him into the player he is.

Bell? No, one look at him and you can tell he is English.

Morgan? Yes, but Ireland don't play test cricket.

Prior? Nope. Lived in UK since he was 4. Parents were English. South Africa had nothing to do with his development or cricket whatsoever.

Broad? Nope.

Bresnan? Nope

Swann? Nope

Anderson? Nope

Congragulations: Out of the 11 members of the England XI, 3 are not actually English or fully developed by the English system, and only 2 are Saffers. So much for "half the bloody team".
And out of the three, two of them had to play for England or not play cricket at all! So are you going to blame England for that?

doesnt matter

under what management?
under this management taj malik,kabir khan they rose alot of divisions, qualified for worldcup
attained odi statuses and they arent even associates, they are affliates, if anybody can improve out of every minnow it is these guys, there is an abundance of talent,

and hope they stay in afghanistan and see them rise to prominence...not lose their good players to other teams, and theres no way they would choose to play for another team ahead of afghanistan anyways so asking mohammad shahzad and hamid hasan to swap team would make no difference to them...

They have a new managment which really sucks. Allahdad doesnt work with afghanistan cricket fulltime. Selection has been in the afghan camp. They keep ignoring noor ali zadran and khaliq dad, these two are one of the best players they have got

Strauss? Nope, lived in England since he was 7, learnt cricket in England and went to primary, second and University in England.

Trott? Yes, he was South African and came through their system but really credit goes to county cricket for developing him.

KP? Yes, but he wasn't allowed to play for South Africa due to the quota system which was ridiculous. And anyway, he's been at warwrickshire since he was 19, so you can hardly say it was the Saffers who developed him into the player he is.

Prior? Nope. Lived in UK since he was 4. Parents were English. South Africa had nothing to do with his development or cricket whatsoever.

Broad? Nope.

Bresnan? Nope

Swann? Nope

Anderson? Nope

Congragulations: Out of the 11 members of the England XI, 3 are not actually English or fully developed by the English system, and only 2 are Saffers. So much for "half the bloody team".
And out of the three, two of them had to play for England or not play cricket at all! So are you going to blame England for that?

The players who were not born in England contribute more than than home born Englishman in the side and have been the main reason for England's recent successes. If England did not have Trott, Pietersen, Prior and Strauss in their lineup it would be considerably weaker. 3 are not English so what are they doing playing for England? 2 are Saffers what are they doing playing for England? They simply represent England not play for their country of birth. England have taken advantage not exception of certain rules and that is a fact.
I never asked who were developed by the Saffers? That's not the issue. The issue is 5 out of the 11 members were not born in England that's why they get so much stick.

Why the hell does it matter where you were born?

I was born in China whilst my mum and dad were on holiday there, sure as hell doesn't make me a Chinese national. I was bloody concieved in Manchester and I'll always consider myself Mancunian, regardless of the fact I was born 5000 miles east of there.

And yes, it matters fully well who developed them and who found them. England put in good scouting + good coaching + good perseverence = reap the benefits.

I think it is unfair to say Morgan or Rankin do not love their country. If they want to play cricket at the highest level, they know that it will not happen for Ireland during their careers. It is acceptable for them to wish to play for England in that case.

Under similar circumstances and if given the chance, I think Afghanistan's players would also play for Pakistan straight away. In any event, I don't think any of Afghan cricketers are of Test quality. I also think it would be appallingly sad if the Pakistani cricket administration ever asked any of these guys to get involved with the Pakistani side.

You were conceived there not lived or stayed. Also your parents I presume were not born there as well nor did they stay there to gain citizenship? Scouting? What is this?..... Football? Go round the world scouting and cherry picking the best players? It's an international sport. The point is the Pakistani team is Pakistani. The same cannot be said for the England team.

I was born in China whilst my mum and dad were on holiday there, sure as hell doesn't make me a Chinese national. I was bloody concieved in Manchester and I'll always consider myself Mancunian, regardless of the fact I was born 5000 miles east of there.

And yes, it matters fully well who developed them and who found them. England put in good scouting + good coaching + good perseverence = reap the benefits.

You were conceived there not lived or stayed. Also your parents I presume were not born there as well nor did they stay there to gain citizenship? Scouting? What is this?..... Football? Go round the world scouting and cherry picking the best players? It's an international sport. The point is the Pakistani team is Pakistani. The same cannot be said for the England team.

Clutching at straws now.

Really crap points being made by you, bitter as hell and irrelevant anyway as we've got them and thats that.

/debate.

Next.

To all those saying this thread is hypocritical - If I had it my way, every cricketer in the world would only be able to represent his own country. I would happily live by this rule.

However, this isn't the rule. Some countries take the mick by picking entire XIs full of foreign nationals. So if these are the rules we are going to play by, I don't see why Pakistan should not also benefit from these rules.

Broad? Nope.

Bresnan? Nope

Swann? Nope

Anderson? Nope

agree with all of this but the quota reason. The "quota" was just an excuse by KP (Trott made the same excuse I believe). South Africa has a majority team of whites, and isn't proportional with the ratio of other ethinicities to whites in South Africa. Forget blaming the quota system, if one guy got in ahead (which all it may have been) being helped by the quota system then fine. It's a bit stupid to think that they would have been regulars if there wasn't such a quota system.

Find it particularly silly that KP uses this excuse. He was an off spinner if I'm right in SA. He went to England and honed his skills as a batsman. He's now chosen as a batsman. Which is completely different to trying to get in as an off-spinner. Pietersen probably wouldn't have got into either England or SA as a specialist spinner with or without the quota.

Trott who also used the same reason, improved his batting in England. Wasn't good enough to get into SA at the time.

Just silly excuses, the reason why they applied for England was because SA rejected them. If SA hadn't, they'd be playing for SA. Even with Morgan, though his aim of playing test cricket may be legitimate, think the guy would be happier playing just limited overs for England over Ireland just for the recognition and the chance to play regularly against top sides. But still Morgan out of all the three I sympathise with the most.

Don't have anything against the three. But I do dislike the fact they seem to use the reason of the "quota". It's not the reason at all. Just something to blame for their own failures getting into the SA team. Still they're playing for england now, so it hardly matters now.

Better South Africa feel kinda silly now.

Imagine a team of:

Smith
Amla
Trott
Pietersen
De Villiers
Kallis
Boucher
Phillander
Morkel
Steyn
Tahir

Pakistan have great players and i don't think they will ever need any player from afghanistan. However, i am glad that afghan players are doing so well that a test playing nation's supporters want afghan players in their national team.

Pakistan have great players and i don't think they will ever need any player from afghanistan. However, i am glad that afghan players are doing so well that a test playing nation's supporters want afghan players in their national team.
Dunno some of the potential of these Afghan cricketers are immense. Get them into an established domestic circuit and a training schemes and they could get really good. In fact Hamid looks a particularly good prospect, those who've watched him have generally been very impressed by him.

What we need to do is let Afghan cricketers compete in Pakistan domestic circuit. At the top tier, division one or perhaps two. Hamid and shehzad would definitely bolster a few first division teams in Pakistan. One of the reasons why Ireland have improved are that a lot of their guys play english domestic cricket, Poterfield, Morgan, Joyce being some of the examples. Doesn't really take much effort on Pakistan's part, and it's good for relations and cricket in general.

I was born in China whilst my mum and dad were on holiday there, sure as hell doesn't make me a Chinese national. I was bloody concieved in Manchester.

Too much info. I agree it's stupid to call someone foreign if they aren't born in that country though.

Last edited:
Ads101, well said and i completely agree with u. Afghan cricketers just need to play against the best to become better. Playing in pakistan against pakistan's top cricket players will help them alot. It will also be easy for the players to get on with each other as most afghans can understand and speak urdu.

Hey Afghanistan , want to trade Shahzad for :kami ?

Really crap points being made by you, bitter as hell and irrelevant anyway as we've got them and thats that.

Eh? Do you not understand my post or something? If someones parents are born in a country, they themselves are born and settled in one country and have heritage in addition to having a passport of said country then you are a born national and your allegiance is tied to the country from birth. Trott and KP played for four years in county cricket because their country of birth South Africa deemed them too crap at the time. So they took advantage of having English heritage. Can you not acknowledge that? I'm not bitter, relax I'm just bored. Lol. I knew you would take the bait. Why don't you give an opinion from time to time on this forum instead of just defending everything English? Calm down. Your the one who is posting aggressively. England are the best team in the world and Pakistan are a crap team in comparison. I know that. You don't have to call me bitter.

We are not giving fair chance to full Pakistani born talented keeper like Sarfraz Ahmed and now some people want to steal Afghan keeper.

Sarfraz gets his chance against england in next warm up games, so he needs to let his bat do the talking and score some runs!

The shot he played for 6 off Ajmal today was sublime!

Honestly, thus guy should play for pakistan... Very talented bwtsmen, should be in pakistani greens

Should be left for him to decide has he is a citizen of both countries, if he wishes to play for Pakistan, consider him for selection, if he doesn't don't pressure him

... No.

Should be in the team he currently is in - Afghan blues.

nope, that would be a stupid idea.......

I don't want Shazad end up like Steve Tikolo........ Don't want his talented to be wasted in playing against Affiliates and Associates.... Same goes for Hammad Hassan.

Let's face the fact that he won't have a good cricket future with Afghanistan, if they are going to keep on playing against Affiliates and Associates........

This guy is a genius, English selectors should have listen to him when he praised Steven Finn over barbie and others

nope, that would be a stupid idea.......

I don't want Shazad end up like Steve Tikolo........ Don't want his talented to be wasted in playing against Affiliates and Associates.... Same goes for Hammad Hassan.

Let's face the fact that he won't have a good cricket future with Afghanistan, if they are going to keep on playing against Affiliates and Associates........

Shahzad is in Afghanistan by choice, he was selected for Pak u-19, he played his a first-class game for Islamabad at age of 16.

He is from Peshwar and his father is a huge Pakhtoon nationalist, that's why he left Pakistan and made use of his grandfathers Afghan citizenship, who had migrated from Paktika to Peshwar before the British divided the Paktunland.

Kabir Khan will return to Afghanistan on 22nd of this month, (in a interview with BBC/pashto he says no place is as good as his homeland and he'll try his best to improve his side and that other jobs/money means nothing for him becuase his heart is in Afghanistan) Younous Khan has promised to join him when his career is over.

Two big grounds grounds have been built in Kabul, Jalalabad and a few small grounds around in the country,

Plans for at least 5 academies are under way.

I don't think Afghans will join Pak team, as most of the are nationalists and put pride in representing Afghanistan, follow Hamid of FB and you'll know.

And to be honest Pakistan doesn't NEED and of them. But if Afridi, Gul, Younous of future leaves Pak team for Afghanistan as Shahzad did, that'll become a huge problem.

He is a good batsman but TBH he is to fat to be a good wicket keeper, missed more than a couple chances in the last game

Last edited:
Shahzad is in Afghanistan by choice, he was selected for Pak u-19, he played his a first-class game for Islamabad at age of 16.

He is from Peshwar and his father is a huge Pakhtoon nationalist, that's why he left Pakistan and made use of his grandfathers Afghan citizenship, who had migrated from Paktika to Peshwar before the British divided the Paktunland.

Kabir Khan will return to Afghanistan on 22nd of this month, (in a interview with BBC/pashto he says no place is as good as his homeland and he'll try his best to improve his side and that other jobs/money means nothing for him becuase his heart is in Afghanistan) Younous Khan has promised to join him when his career is over.

Two big grounds grounds have been built in Kabul, Jalalabad and a few small grounds around in the country,

Plans for at least 5 academies are under way.

I don't think Afghans will join Pak team, as most of the are nationalists and put pride in representing Afghanistan, follow Hamid of FB and you'll know.

And to be honest Pakistan doesn't NEED and of them. But if Afridi, Gul, Younous of future leaves Pak team for Afghanistan as Shahzad did, that'll become a huge problem.
Most Pathans in Pakistan are patriotic Pakistanis so i don't really see them leaving their country to play for some other team

^ you would be surprised at how much they all love afghanistan aswell, they just are not vocal about it

first chance younus khan got and he said they should be test playing nation and not bangladesh"

misbah was even full of awe for them...and i know of people who mentioned that afridi also takes immense pride in his nationalism...but that isnt to say they all dislike pakistan because they are proud to be pakistani and living in pakistan...but also love afghanistan...

its just something only a pakthun would understand...others mistake it for treachery

you heard kabir khans statement? hes represented pak and lived in pak all his life but also said his heart is in afghanistan, most of these guys had grandparents from afghanistan so cant really judge them...

Last edited:
^ you would be surprised at how much they all love afghanistan aswell, they just are not vocal about it

first chance younus khan got and he said they should be test playing nation and not bangladesh"

misbah was even full of awe for them...and i know of people who mentioned that afridi also takes immense pride in his nationalism...but that isnt to say they all dislike pakistan because they are proud to be pakistani and living in pakistan...but also love afghanistan...

its just something only a pakthun would understand...others mistake it for treachery

you heard kabir khans statement? hes represented pak and lived in pak all his life but also said his heart is in afghanistan, most of these guys had grandparents from afghanistan so cant really judge them...

Well my grandparents were born in India but that does not mean that i start loving/supporting India but like you said maybe its just something a pakthun would understand

That's your problem right there. Hopefully you aren't from the red part of the town.

This guy has to be the biggest hack in cricket.

Makes Awais Zia look like a technical marvel.

Yeah I agree he is a bit of a hack becuase whenever I've seen him in the recent past hes gotten out early each time trying to hit out

Doesn't look like an Afghani or I maybe completely wrong on physical appearance of Afghani's as a whole.

Re: Mohammad Shahzad-Afghanistan's Wicket Keeper!

Doesn't look like an Afghani or I maybe completely wrong on physical appearance of Afghani's as a whole.

Mohammad shehzad seems 100% pakistani. its not so difficult to take afghan passport.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Mohammad shehzad seems 100% pakistani. its not so difficult to take afghan passport.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

And be born in Afghanistan? May be his parents migrated to Afghanistan from Pakistan (or somewhere)

Back