Moin Khan: Umar Akmal's talent is useless

Varun

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Post of the Week
Pakistan's young batsman Umar Akmal has drawn flak from former players and critics for his below-par performance during the just-concluded tour of India.

Even Pakistan's former captain Wasim Akram singled out Umar for criticism after the third and final one-dayer in Delhi on Sunday.

"When will Umar learn to play responsibly? He has been around in international cricket now for a considerable time.

He really needs to think about his game now," Wasim said.

Umar, the younger brother of wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal, got out at a crucial time in the match with Pakistan chasing a low total of 167 set by India.

Pakistan's former captain Rashid Latif was more forthright in his views about Umar and the match.

"I think it is about time Umar is told by the selectors he is not needed in the national team until he changes his approach and attitude towards the game," Latif said.

"Umar has to be sent back to domestic cricket until the selectors see a visible change in his approach and attitude.

He has got too many opportunities to realise his talent. But he is not finishing games," Latif said.

Umar was also in the eye of the storm before the Indian tour when his department, Sui Gas, which includes Mohammad Hafeez and Misbah-ul-Haq, sidelined him after he missed some games in the President's Trophy tournament due to the wedding of his brother Adnan.

Former Pakistan captain Moin Khan also felt that Umar was not doing justice to his enormous talent.

"He is talented no doubt about it but he needs to learn that all this talent is useless until it results in good results for his team. He is just not showing the approach of a finisher which is sad," Moin said.

Umar, who played in three matches on the Indian tour, is expected to be axed for the forthcoming South African tour as the selectors have more confidence in upcoming batsman Haris Sohail.

http://www.cricketcountry.com/crick...ters-criticise-irresponsible-Umar-Akmal/21845

His days in the Pakistan national team = numbered?

Last edited:
Agree! , he needs to show some improvement or go back and learn his game in domestic.

Should be dropped and sent back to the lower leagues till he learns to use his brain.

I was a big advocate of Umar but having seen his last few ODI's it is clear he only handles pressure in one manner. Its but trying to act big and hitting out.

Last ODI is a classic example. You need 5 runs and over and wickets are important. What do you do? Dance down the track to a spinner.

If he refuses to mature himself then he must be shown how to grow up. Send him back to the Pakistani leagues.

Disaster if we drop him. On other hand i doubt any batsmen will do good hence better for him to stay home.

Can't afford to drop him for SA series though , I think he is one of the few bats who can score a few runs in SA.

Drop him.
Take his central contract away.
Let him prove himself in FC by averaging at least 100 than only should the selectors look at him.
He has Talent that is perhaps the only reason i supported him but i clearly see he does not have a brain he should probably go back play FC cricket prove himself there grow a brain and come back.

I'm sounding like a broken record here but let me state this. Pakistan's middle order sucks , no nice word for it . It utterly sucks. That middle order will remain while umar will be the sacrifice.

Given that our middle order sucks so much why can't we try umar at 3 or 4 . Why is it shafiq and azhar got so many chances and failed but umar akmal doesn't get any at all? I haven't even started on yk who has been sucking for more than 7 years yet will keep his spot

Try umar at the top , I know misbah hates him but if he cares for Pakistan he should . If umar still fails banish him

Last edited:
I'm sounding like a broken record here but let me state this. Pakistan's middle order sucks , no word for it . It utterly sucks. That middle order will remain while umar will be the sacrifice.

Given that our middle order sucks so much why can't we try umar at 3 or 4 . Why is it shafiq and azhar got so many chances and failed but umar akmal doesn't get any at all? I haven't even started on yk who has been sucking for more than 7 years yet will keep his spot

Try umar at the top , I know misbah hates him but if he cares for Pakistan he should . If umar still fails banish him

Shafiq averages 30 in ODI cricket and Azhar averages 42.
Most importantly they average 42 and 45 in Test Matches where U.Akmal averages only 35.
Them proving their class at the Test Level means that they should get a chance.
At least they don't throw their wicket away like U.Akmal and play a long innings when they are comfortable at the crease.

Most importantly they average 42 and 45 in Test Matches where U.Akmal averages only 35.
At least they don't throw their wicket away like U.Akmal and play a long innings when they are comfortable at the crease.

you didn't mention their strike rates in ODIs which r around 60.

We are talking about Odis, by your logic taufeeq umar should be opening instead of Jamshed . Shafiq throws his wicket immensely in Odis , just never gets done for it. Prime example England odi where he came made a good 50 then got himself out when he was set . Funny thing is both have a worse record than UA despite UAs failings

And if you want to talk about tests cricket then since his debut umar akmal avgs the most for any pak bar outside of Asia. He himself has only played one test innings in Asia

Last edited:
also you are forgetting we already have Misbah who bats this slow then there is no more Afridi and Razzaq and Kami is already out of form so if Nasir,Hafeez get out early we'll be watching some pure test batting.

I'm sounding like a broken record here but let me state this. Pakistan's middle order sucks , no word for it . It utterly sucks. That middle order will remain while umar will be the sacrifice.

Im with you there. Too many incomsistent fools been tried for too long. Laloos like malik, yk, afridi been in ODI for being decent bits and pieces players. The captain isn't any better himself. Instead we fans are blaming the only hope we have. Im not saying haris, azhar or Asad are bad but they are they havn't done much to be labelled better than Umar Akmal.

you didn't mention their strike rates in ODIs which r around 60.

Shafiq's S/R is 69 and Azhar Ali's S/R is 65 not surprising when they aren't playing ODI's as often.
When you play Tests mostly you tend to be a bit defensive they need to be given a proper run in LO Cricket i am sure they will get their S/R above to at least 70 to 75 which is the S/R of many successful Batsman like Dravid(71),Kallis(72),Ganguly(73),Javed Miandad and Inzamam probably our best Batsmen had a S/R of 67 and 74.

also you are forgetting we already have Misbah who bats this slow then there is no more Afridi and Razzaq and Kami is already out of form so if Nasir,Hafeez get out early we'll be watching some pure test batting.

I hope inzi wen he goes on tour with our team in South Africa teaches Misbah a few things about batting at 4 or 5. Guys been ridiculous in loi.

We are talking about Odis, by your logic taufeeq umar should be opening instead of Jamshed . Shafiq throws his wicket immensely in Odis , just never gets done for it. Prime example England odi where he came made a good 50 then got himself out when he was set . Funny thing is both have a worse record than UA despite UAs failings

And if you want to talk about tests cricket then since his debut umar akmal avgs the most for any pak bar outside of Asia. He himself has only played one test innings in Asia

Pakistan were setting a target in that match Shafiq needed to score quickly that was the only reason he tried to play that shot to Broad Pakistan had already made 246 runs and when you have got that many runs on the board when setting a target and you know that Afridi and Razzaq are yet to bat you can afford to take a risk like that.
IIRC I don't think he has thrown his wicket away when Pakistan are chasing.

Shafiq's S/R is 69 and Azhar Ali's S/R is 65 not surprising when they aren't playing ODI's as often.
When you play Tests mostly you tend to be a bit defensive they need to be given a proper run in LO Cricket i am sure they will get their S/R above to at least 70 to 75 which is the S/R of many successful Batsman like Dravid(71),Kallis(72),Ganguly(73),Javed Miandad and Inzamam probably our best Batsmen had a S/R of 67 and 74.

they all played 99% percent of their innings befor t20 cricket times have changed, and lol they didn't get lots of chances? Azhar maybe you hve a case but he only did well opening and that spot is closed, but shafiq? More than 30 Odis consistent runs at 3 and 4 apart from that he's also had oppturnities at 1-6 without succes.

It's funny how people say shafiq hasn't gotten enough chances when after 34 innings, playing in the top order and being accomadated as much as possible he averages 30 with a strike rate of 69. Yet these people have the nerve to say a guy who averages 37 with a strike of 84 playing at number 5 at best most 6 does not deserve a chance up top

Last edited:
they all played 99% percent of their innings befor t20 cricket times have changed, and lol they didn't get lots of chances? Azhar maybe you hve a case but he only did well opening and that spot is closed, but shafiq? More than 30 Odis consistent runs at 3 and 4 apart from that he's also had oppturnities at 1-6 without succes.

It's funny how people say shafiq hasn't gotten enough chances when after 34 innings, playing in the top order and being accomadated as much as possible he averages 30 from 69. Yet these people have the nerve to say a guy who averages 37 with a strike of 84 playing at number 5 at best most 6 does not deserve a chance up top

Shafiq has the capability to improve a lot over time I'll tell you that i am sure he will improve he has the temperament to do so and you're only going to get better if you're a player with the talent and temperament such as Shafiq.
Well i'd ask you can you say that Umar Akmal will get better over time and has he actually gotten better over time?

It's funny how people say shafiq hasn't gotten enough chances when after 34 innings, playing in the top order and being accomadated as much as possible he averages 30 from 69. Yet these people have the nerve to say a guy who averages 37 with a strike of 84 playing at number 5 at best most 6 does not deserve a chance up top

forget Shafiq,,they dropped Umar who had two 50s in last 3 games for a guy who averaged 15 in his last 11 games..I'm talking about Younis Khan..then what has Malik done in ODIs to play ahead of Umar?clear injustice being done with the youngster.

It's weird that people still believe Umar Akmal can succeed without a brain.

Disaster if we drop him. On other hand i doubt any batsmen will do good hence better for him to stay home.

when we dropped him, we won 2 games, while the disaster came when he was selected, think before talking

the talent is useless without result

Last edited:
Misbah, YK and Malik will not get any better as they are in their 30"s.It's time we get rid of these failures.

Shafiq has the capability to improve a lot over time I'll tell you that i am sure he will improve he has the temperament to do so and you're only going to get better if you're a player with the talent and temperament such as Shafiq.
Well i'd ask you can you say that Umar Akmal will get better over time and has he actually gotten better over time?

Shafiq is turning 27 in a couple of weeks, umar is 22. My whole point is give umar a go at the top order, give him the same treatment shafiq got. Then I can say you will see an improvement. If you don't banish him . Also come April I am expecting to see plenty of "asad shafiq can't play outside of Asia threads"

I hope not because at the end of the day I want what's best for Pakistan and in the test team Shafiq deserves he's spot, but my brain and his past records tell me something else .

With umar ill say again ; we have no good players in the middle order, so give him a go I personally think he will do well but if I'm wrong then by all means drop him

Last edited:

that's just a theory,,in reality he averages just 30 with 69 strike rate after 35 games which is poor.

Shafiq is turning 27 in a couple of weeks, umar is 22. My whole point is give umar a go at the top order, give him the same treatment shafiq got. Then I can say you will see an improvement. If you don't banish him . Also come April I am expecting to see plenty of "asad shafiq can't play outside of Asia threads"

I hope not because at the end of the day I want what's best for Pakistan and in the test team Shafiq deserves he's spot, but my brain and his past records tell me something else .

With umar ill say again ; we have no good players in the middle order, so give him a go I personally think he will do well but if I'm wrong then by all means drop him

Shafiq averages 24 in England and 51 in both West Indies and Zimbabwe.

lets keep selecting him till hes 30 then drop when we finally realise how rubish he is..

it doesnt matter who is more aged, shafiq is 27 has much time to survive till next world cup he isnt going any where

umar akmal has played twice the cricket shafiq has played, and while shafiq selection was very inconsistant, umar has been a consistant fixture in our team, how many games he has been handed over to prove himself?

umar is no exceptional, he should go back, improve his form or batting or whatever and he will be selected if he proves there

Moin Khan's talent was also useless as he could only muster an average of 23 after playing over 200 ODIs with no hundred's.

it doesnt matter who is more aged, shafiq is 27 has much time to survive till next world cup he isnt going any where

umar akmal has played twice the cricket shafiq has played, and while shafiq selection was very inconsistant, umar has been a consistant fixture in our team, how many games he has been handed over to prove himself?

umar is no exceptional, he should go back, improve his form or batting or whatever and he will be selected if he proves there

I suggest you look at his last 15 odd games .

Shafiq has been mediocre

Umar akmal is the best middle order amongst a group of failures. His record is quite good , not great true but then again we have plenty Lara's, husseys, inzis don't we? Before Jamshed he was our best bat and even now he is still the top ranked by some distance

If you want to drop him and remain a fair person you might as well drop the entire middle order

for haters

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bbKSFCmvApE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

last 15 games

shafiq = 4 fifties

umar akmal = 4 fifties

and not even including the T20 performance of umar akmal

are you saying umar akmal is also mediocre?

I responded to your assertion shafiq wasn't getting consistent chances. True umar has been below par recently but that doesn't change the overall picture. Plus 2 of his 50s were recent

Also yes a batsman playing at 3 or 4 making 4 50s in 15 games is worse than a batsman at 6 doing the same

Umar akmal is the best middle order amongst a group of failures. His record is quite good , not great true but then again we have plenty Lara's, husseys, inzis don't we? Before Jamshed he was our best bat and even now he is still the top ranked by some distance

He is going to lose that ranking the way he is going.... There are other talents out their who wont throw their wickets away. This kid does good and yes he can score runs but 3 out 4 matches he throws his wicket away. Are we raising another Afridi?

He is an irresponsible and arrogant kid who still hasn't learned his talents importance. I dont support his 1 match mature knock and after that 4 brain farts. You want someone who bats like this to be at number 3. I used to be his fan but after all the brain farts i am starting to get pissed off. Umar akmal the way he is going will be forgotten and will become another "could have been player" .

Sunil Gavaskar summed it up perfectly when he said on commentary about Umar Akmal, he is all talent -- but seriously lacking in temperament and technique.

He is just another Imran Nazir.

He is going to lose that ranking the way he is going.... There are other talents out their who wont throw their wickets away. This kid does good and yes he can score runs but 3 out 4 matches he throws his wicket away. Are we raising another Afridi?

He is an irresponsible and arrogant kid who still hasn't learned his talents importance. I dont support his 1 match mature knock and after that 4 brain farts. You want someone who bats like this to be at number 3. I used to be his fan but after all the brain farts i am starting to get pissed off. Umar akmal the way he is going will be forgotten and will become another "could have been player" .

Name the other kids ? Apart from haris I see none right now , but I guess your okay with younis khan, malik, misbah and azhar

You still didn't answer my question.

and can you answer me why is he still the best Pakistani ODI batsman ranked by ICC??Why Asad Shafiq after 35 games couldn't take over or Misbah or Hafeez?

Lol just noticed who the op was, I'm surprised you havent added much to the argument varun

Last edited:
I responded to your assertion shafiq wasn't getting consistent chances. True umar has been below par recently but that doesn't change the overall picture. Plus 2 of his 50s were recent

Also yes a batsman playing at 3 or 4 making 4 50s in 15 games is worse than a batsman at 6 doing the same

and two of his ducks were recent too

the amount of experience umar akmal has gained is double then what shafiq has gained, while shafiq has improved akmal has declined, there is a room for those hard working batsman willing to improve, but there isnt room for akmal who were good long time ago but pathetic today, we need to consider the requirement of changing needs, umar doesnt fit in

Last edited:
If only the BCCI can understand and learn from this by dropping the next legend Rohit Sharma..he was deemed as the next batting great by cricket pundits...jeez

Performance > Reputation.

As far as umar is concerned, his performance has been really poor !! He needs to be taught a good lesson after the SA tour, that's if he is selected !!

He's scored 2 50s in his past 4 innings.

The problem with Umar Akmal is that he set the standard too high at the beginning. All of these former players and fans are now expecting him to maintain that level.

He might be able to reach that level again, but he needs a consistent run. If he still fails after a good run of 10 games at #4, you drop him.

Turning him into a finisher is wrong. He's not a finisher. He's a middle order batsman and always has been one.

the amount of experience umar akmal has gained is double then what shafiq has gained, while shafiq has improved akmal has declined, there is a room for those hard working batsman willing to improve, but there isnt room for akmals who were good long time ago but pathetic today, we need to consider the requirement of changing needs, umar doesnt fit in
Shafiq has gone backwards in Odis . You still ignore the fact that despite his failing an odi team without umar akmal is a weeker one . Our batting talent in the middle order is awful. So what's your solution drop your best player. True he hasn't been great recently but even in bad form he has done better than shafiq, yk and Malik

with all due respect to Moin, he should only provide his expert opinion when it comes to wicket-keepers.

Umar averages 42 in matches Pakistan has batted 2nd, 46 in won matches for Pakistan, and 95.6 in won matches in which Pakistan batted 2nd.

'experts' like Moin really should check their facts before talking crap.

Shafiq has gone backwards in Odis . You still ignore the fact that despite his failing an odi team without umar akmal is a weeker one . Our batting talent in the middle order is awful. So what's your solution drop your best player. True he hasn't been great recently but even in bad form he has done better than shafiq, yk and Malik

i dont understand you say umar akmal has been not in good form lately still you dont want him dropped, pakistan won 2 ODIs against india the world champs without umar akmal, but lost the only ODI with the presence of akmal

shafiq i repeat again didnt play full asia cup, umar played, didnt play the srianka series, umar played, shafiq has been selected dropped every time, you dont expect a batsman to settle if he is dropped and picked every now and then

why it doesnt happen to umar akmal when he doesnt perform, i mean dropped and picked

Giving him one match in the series in which he score 30 something and still everybody is calling for his head while like of younus and maliks can silently carry on . great job moin khan and rashid latif. Infact shame on you two.

Funny how some of the people who seem to want him out of the team are the same people who said he can play in all 3 formats

I'd like the selectors to persevere with Umar.

I don't think it's the right time to drop him from the one day or T20 side.

Pakistan is destroying Umar Akmal's career. They keep on selecting rubbish players such as Younis, Malik, and Misbah over and over but the only player who has looked descent in ODIs gets the stick for the failure of the whole middle order's failing.

Anyone who thinks Umar Akmal needs to be dropped, seriously needs to check in to the mental health institute. Here is a comparison which should hopefully clear that foggy mist in your heads.

After playing 71 ODI Matches, Umar Akmal, at the tender age of 22 years, has an average of **37.75** at a strike rate of 84.2.JPG

However Yuvraj Singh, after playing 65 ODI Matches, at also a tender age of 22, had an average of **28.08** at a strike rate of 82.Capture.JPG

Did India drop Yuvraj Singh, after World Cup 2003. No they didn't..they persevered with him, allowed him to settle into the team, carry on playing his natural game, and he has come on to become an integral part of the Indian team.

Umar Akmal, needs to bat up the order at number 3, when the ball is still new, and he isn't under pressure with a tail compromising of Afridi and Kami (most of the time). Yes he needs to be taught to play clever cricket, and has room to improve, but to drop him is pathetic. Our domestic cricket level won't improve his game, but instead teach him to bully B class bowlers on dustbowls, slogging it around the park. Maybe allow him to rest against the weaker teams and play country cricket in Australia and England.

Why is it that only certain players are put under the sword after each and every match? He has 2 fifties in his last 4 ODI innings. He's done better than the captain himself.

Get rid of Misbah and Umar will flourish under Hafeez.

the amount of experience umar akmal has gained is double then what shafiq has gained, while shafiq has improved akmal has declined, there is a room for those hard working batsman willing to improve, but there isnt room for akmal who were good long time ago but pathetic today, we need to consider the requirement of changing needs, umar doesnt fit in

The quoted post is a perfect example of hypocrisy and obvious bias.

I really hate when some players are so overhyped because of so called talent (usually Indian/ Pakistani). Umar Akmal is a good batsman but there is all there is to it, give him a fair chance and if he doesn't perform then drop him. Average of 37 in odi's is not terrible by any means.

I'd like the selectors to persevere with Umar.

I don't think it's the right time to drop him from the one day or T20 side.

on the basis of what?
Did u see how selectors treated Mike Hussey?

What's wrong with going back to domestic cricket and, if you're that high quality, tonking bowlers around?

Not only does it bring confidence, it could get him back in form.

I might be wrong here, and it's not exactly the same, but didn't Pietersen play a game for Surrey this summer and absolutely demolish a Lancashire attack for a double century at nearly a run a ball?

So I don't get why it should be domestic OR international cricket?

Enough of the "he needs to bat higher" garbage.

He had a great chance last match to see Pakistan through but chose to throw it away as he has for so many times now.

Another talented player whom thinks hitting boundaries is more important than to preserve his wicket and get his team home.

Last edited:
What's wrong with going back to domestic cricket and, if you're that high quality, tonking bowlers around?

Not only does it bring confidence, it could get him back in form.

I might be wrong here, and it's not exactly the same, but didn't Pietersen play a game for Surrey this summer and absolutely demolish a Lancashire attack for a double century at nearly a run a ball?

So I don't get why it should be domestic OR international cricket?

Umar's been back to domestic cricket. Worked hard and averaged around 70+. He should have got his place in the test side then. Never got it but that's for another thread.

Also Umar is NOT out of form. 2 50's in his last 4 innings suggests he's not.

Enough of the "he needs to bat higher" garbage.

He had a great chance last match to see Pakistan through but chose to throw it away as he has for so many times now.

Another talented player whom thinks hitting boundaries is more important than to preserve his wicket and get his team home.

He wasn't the only one who 'threw' it away now was he?

Anyone who thinks Umar Akmal needs to be dropped, seriously needs to check in to the mental health institute. Here is a comparison which should hopefully clear that foggy mist in your heads.

After playing 71 ODI Matches, Umar Akmal, at the tender age of 22 years, has an average of **37.75** at a strike rate of 84.View attachment 30456

However Yuvraj Singh, after playing 65 ODI Matches, at also a tender age of 22, had an average of **28.08** at a strike rate of 82.View attachment 30455

Did India drop Yuvraj Singh, after World Cup 2003. No they didn't..they persevered with him, allowed him to settle into the team, carry on playing his natural game, and he has come on to become an integral part of the Indian team.

Umar Akmal, needs to bat up the order at number 3, when the ball is still new, and he isn't under pressure with a tail compromising of Afridi and Kami (most of the time). Yes he needs to be taught to play clever cricket, and has room to improve, but to drop him is pathetic. Our domestic cricket level won't improve his game, but instead teach him to bully B class bowlers on dustbowls, slogging it around the park. Maybe allow him to rest against the weaker teams and play country cricket in Australia and England.

Brilliant post. Even now Umar & Yuvraj have similar stats.

Performance > Reputation.

As far as umar is concerned, his performance has been really poor !! He needs to be taught a good lesson after the SA tour, that's if he is selected !!

2 50's in his last 4 innings suggests his performance has been brilliant.

Haters gonna hate.

A certain someone *cough* Misbah *cough* has turned him into a slogger, and this way, his talent is useless. Give him a consistent run at #4, and watch him shine.

This is why I sometimes think that Misbah should quit as ODI captain. He is a pretty good captain, but he seriously has problems with Umar.

After playing 71 ODI Matches, Umar Akmal, at the tender age of 22 years, has an average of **37.75** at a strike rate of 84.View attachment 30456

However Yuvraj Singh, after playing 65 ODI Matches, at also a tender age of 22, had an average of **28.08** at a strike rate of 82.View attachment 30455

Brilliant post!

I have a question: Does temperament also fall into the ambit of talent or is it an entirely separate domain? Gavaskar during the series distinguished the two(talent and temperament). After watching the likes of Umar Akmal and the "talent" justification used, I cannot help but think that being talented also requires you to assess the situation and exercise moderation when applicable. After all, isn't reading a situation and adjusting according to the merits of the game something that may come intrinsically in some athletes? Or is temperament only grasped by studying the art of the game and cannot be comprehended through raw basic understanding of the game?

Sure, contemporary definition of talent includes being naturally gifted to be a brilliant strokemaker and display signs of superiority in terms of stroke play. But for some reason I think it is an insult to the word "talent" if you do not include some form of temperance when it comes to exercising rational analysis when deciding what kind of stroke to play in a given situation.

In 2003 Yuvraj had Sehwag, Sachin, Ganguly, Dravid batting before him.

Umar has Hafeez, Nasir, YK, and Misbah. Thats why they could afford him to have a 28 average.

I agree with above how he is compared to Yuvi. He needs to be nurtured and helped unlike other batsmen. It is rare to find a player of Tendu's or Dravid's caliber, you have to make them.

Lol just noticed who the op was, I'm surprised you havent added much to the argument varun

Nah I love stirring the pot and then leaving. More my kind of style. :junaid:

This Umar Akmal fanboy vs haters debate is always good fun, on any thread.

Umar Akmal should be batting at 4.

Give him a proper go there.

The only reason he's had to bat lower down is to accommodate the likes of YK and Misbah, who can't score quickly and thus need to bat up the order.

Yes he needs to learn to finish games and he needs better temperament. But so do a lot of our players.

Surprising that none of these former players and experts have even said anything about YK or Malik's performance over the last few years. And Misbah's approach in ODIs has been largely overlooked as well.

Asad Shafiq is the biggest wicket thrower in the pakistan team. And he averages 42 on flat pitches against minnows, where Akmal played away on bowling friendly pitches against better quality attacks.

Here is the real record for you:

Asad Shafiq: Away Average (- Minnows), 37

Umar Akmal: Away Average (-Minnows), 42

Bearing in mind that Akmal faced Australia and England in Summer 2010, while Shafiq's away record is against New Zealand and West Indies and Sri Lanka (so no real bowling friendly condition or good attack).
So, the question is, who would you rather have in your test team in SA? A FTB minnow-basher, or a real batsman with proper technique?

So where are the YK Hafeez and Malik threads why are people hell bent on picking on one guy and making sure they do their best to make him leave the team what a sad state of affairs the deserving players are going under the radar again! :hafeez

^^^ Probably because the boy is on the verge of ruining his promise and talent, more so than the players you mentioned.

Is it a coincidence that Umar's performance has gone south since Misbah became the captain? It's walways been rumored that Misbah doesn't like Umar (or Shehzad) and would like him out of the team.

I have been a big critic of Umar Akmal and I have no faith in him finishing ODI games. Ironically, Umar may actually be a very useful batsman in south africa TEST matches since he is good at pulling and cutting and may fare well on bouncy pitches. Whereas players like Shafiq may make 40 (150) innings, a counter attacking innings of 70 (80) by Umar Akmal may prove match-winning. The sit in and waiting game may have worked in UAE but Pak will have to make alternative plans to counter Stein and co. Umar Akmal can possibly be part of those plans.

I have been a big critic of Umar Akmal and I have no faith in him finishing ODI games. Ironically, Umar may actually be a very useful batsman in south africa TEST matches since he is good at pulling and cutting and may fare well on bouncy pitches. Whereas players like Shafiq may make 40 (150) innings, a counter attacking innings of 70 (80) by Umar Akmal may prove match-winning. The sit in and waiting game may have worked in UAE but Pak will have to make alternative plans to counter Stein and co. Umar Akmal can possibly be part of those plans.

I think it's obvious that Umar is not a finisher. That's why they should give him a 10 match run at 4 and go from there. if he fails then kick him out until he earns a recall. He is not a #6.

It isn't a coincidence that Misbah doesn't like flair players which every team needs to draw in the crowds I mean who really wants to watch the current test team bat some of their recent innings have been painful to watch with strike rates less than 40 when we have needed quick runs it will haunt us badly against SA.

Back