Moin Khan: Umar Akmal's talent is useless

Umar has had the misfortune of not being taught on how to build an ODI innings. He has had to learn from the likes of Hafeez, Younis and Misbah who combined have probably hit less than 10 ODI centuries. I wanted Moyo to hang around another year or two when Umar came in so he can learn the art from a proper batsman. Instead he gets employed in the T20 boom and his game is almost tailor-made for that now.

First of all he needs to play up the order to give him time and less pressure, given when he walks out Misbah has left him a nice easy run rate to negotiate. At the current rate he will turn into another choker due to pressure.

Anyone who thinks Umar Akmal needs to be dropped, seriously needs to check in to the mental health institute. Here is a comparison which should hopefully clear that foggy mist in your heads.

After playing 71 ODI Matches, Umar Akmal, at the tender age of 22 years, has an average of **37.75** at a strike rate of 84.View attachment 30456

However Yuvraj Singh, after playing 65 ODI Matches, at also a tender age of 22, had an average of **28.08** at a strike rate of 82.View attachment 30455

Did India drop Yuvraj Singh, after World Cup 2003. No they didn't..they persevered with him, allowed him to settle into the team, carry on playing his natural game, and he has come on to become an integral part of the Indian team.

Umar Akmal, needs to bat up the order at number 3, when the ball is still new, and he isn't under pressure with a tail compromising of Afridi and Kami (most of the time). Yes he needs to be taught to play clever cricket, and has room to improve, but to drop him is pathetic. Our domestic cricket level won't improve his game, but instead teach him to bully B class bowlers on dustbowls, slogging it around the park. Maybe allow him to rest against the weaker teams and play country cricket in Australia and England.

Epic fail...

Indian cricketing legacy, strategies and traditions is nothing to live up to...

No wonder we are in such profound mess as country on all levels, even in Cricket...aspiring to be a third rate cricketing nation...

I don't understand what's wrong with Moin Khan's statement.

Some people can't handle the truth. His talent IS useless UNLESS it helps PAKISTAN WIN.

Nowhere did Moin say, U. Akmal is useless, or he is not talented.

Asad Shafiq would have played more responsible inning than Umer despite Umer being less talented. It's all about who will score runs when the team needs it.

Should be dropped and sent back to the lower leagues till he learns to use his brain.

I was a big advocate of Umar but having seen his last few ODI's it is clear he only handles pressure in one manner. Its but trying to act big and hitting out.

Last ODI is a classic example. You need 5 runs and over and wickets are important. What do you do? Dance down the track to a spinner.

If he refuses to mature himself then he must be shown how to grow up. Send him back to the Pakistani leagues.

It was'nt even that much.

Talent or technique is not an issue with UA but he lacks commonsense and temperament to stay at the crease. Temperament separates a great from a very good player. Hence I doubt that he will ever fulfil his potential in cricket or become a great player

Agreed it was the final PP over but the RRR was still a very manageable under 4 RPO. You have 6 wickets in hand and loads of overs left. Why would you step out of the crease like that? That was brainless batting. He let the occasion get to him and lost his wicket

Last edited:
Is it a coincidence that Umar's performance has gone south since Misbah became the captain? It's walways been rumored that Misbah doesn't like Umar (or Shehzad) and would like him out of the team.

has played the most matches and averages highest under Misbah's captaincy.

30 matches, 9 50s @ 40.6

and can you answer me why is he still the best Pakistani ODI batsman ranked by ICC??Why Asad Shafiq after 35 games couldn't take over or Misbah or Hafeez?

Not that i believe in the ICC Rankings you will get a ranking based on how much you score he has scored but hasn't won us matches.
Now again how much has U.Akmal improved since his debut?

Anyone who thinks Umar Akmal needs to be dropped, seriously needs to check in to the mental health institute. Here is a comparison which should hopefully clear that foggy mist in your heads.

After playing 71 ODI Matches, Umar Akmal, at the tender age of 22 years, has an average of **37.75** at a strike rate of 84.View attachment 30456

However Yuvraj Singh, after playing 65 ODI Matches, at also a tender age of 22, had an average of **28.08** at a strike rate of 82.View attachment 30455

Did India drop Yuvraj Singh, after World Cup 2003. No they didn't..they persevered with him, allowed him to settle into the team, carry on playing his natural game, and he has come on to become an integral part of the Indian team.

Umar Akmal, needs to bat up the order at number 3, when the ball is still new, and he isn't under pressure with a tail compromising of Afridi and Kami (most of the time). Yes he needs to be taught to play clever cricket, and has room to improve, but to drop him is pathetic. Our domestic cricket level won't improve his game, but instead teach him to bully B class bowlers on dustbowls, slogging it around the park. Maybe allow him to rest against the weaker teams and play country cricket in Australia and England.

Yuvraj improved over his career U.Akmal hasn't.

Asad Shafiq is the biggest wicket thrower in the pakistan team. And he averages 42 on flat pitches against minnows, where Akmal played away on bowling friendly pitches against better quality attacks.

Here is the real record for you:

Asad Shafiq: Away Average (- Minnows), 37

Umar Akmal: Away Average (-Minnows), 42

Bearing in mind that Akmal faced Australia and England in Summer 2010, while Shafiq's away record is against New Zealand and West Indies and Sri Lanka (so no real bowling friendly condition or good attack).
So, the question is, who would you rather have in your test team in SA? A FTB minnow-basher, or a real batsman with proper technique?

Well the thing is Asad Shafiq has improved temperament wise and skill wise while Umar Akmal hasn't been shown to improve till now since his first year all his stats are deteriorating.
Asad Shafiq is getting better as a player is Umar Akmal getting better?
Shafiq has already won us matches in his short span with Pakistan.
I can't tel if you are actually joking or not.
Asad Shafiq has one of the best temperaments in the PCT.
I don't recall Asad Shafiq throwing his wicket away while Pakistan were chasing but you are calling him the biggest wicket thrower in Pakistan so please do tell when has Asad Shafiq done that?

I don't understand... in the last year Umar averages 33 @ 76 S/R... how is this bad? In the game against AFG he didn't bat and against Ban he scored 20 and 30. The rest are all top 8 teams. Why are there so many people who think he's somehow doing so horribly that he should be dropped? I'm not attacking anyone... I just really want to know for what period of time has Umar done so horribly that he should be dropped.. or for example, how many times has he played irresponsible shots to get out and lose us the game where others also didn't get out?

I'm sure I missed something here...

Not to mention his overall career average is 37.

See here's the thing... Malik averages 33 career... 23 in last year although he only got 5 innings.

YK averages 32 in career, 20 in last year.

Kamran averages 26 career, 1.5 in last year (lol). He's not a full batsman, but just for comparison's sake.

Mohammad hafeez averages 27 career, and 29 last year.

All five of these guys batted in the last ODI. Umar towers over all of them, career-wise and just the last 12 months, against all opposition, and also if you remove minnows. I know a lot of people here want Umar out for his irresponsible shot selection, so please someone tell me in a quick way why he should be the one that gets dropped when as a batsman, he is better than the ENTIRE line-up barring Misbah & Jamshed??? (Both career-wise and last year, last 6 months, WHATEVER PARAMETER YOU CHOOSE)

I don't understand... in the last year Umar averages 33 @ 76 S/R... how is this bad? In the game against AFG he didn't bat and against Ban he scored 20 and 30. The rest are all top 8 teams. Why are there so many people who think he's somehow doing so horribly that he should be dropped? I'm not attacking anyone... I just really want to know for what period of time has Umar done so horribly that he should be dropped.. or for example, how many times has he played irresponsible shots to get out and lose us the game where others also didn't get out?I'm sure I missed something here...

You are right. Others also get out.

Difference : Others get out because they can't play. He gets out because no matter what the situation he wants to go for a wild slog.

Example : In the last match , he was the only batsmen who charged down the pitch when the required run rate was 3.4 , we had 7 batsmen left, series was already won, and all he had to is play it out. He charged out. Twice.

And sry for the triple post but, if the only thing is that people want him to go back to the drawing board so that he can get better, then I ask...

Is the assumption here that he won't improve unless he gets dropped?

OR

We want someone who can bat more responsibly (even though he is a better batsman than 5 other guys in our top 7 from the last ODI)?

I mean, really? So you're willing to sacrifice about 10 pts in average (YK, Malik), or 30 pts in average (Kamran), or 6 pts in average (Hafeez, purely from a batting point of view), JUST so that Umar may go back to domestic cricket, improve his form, and then be able to come back to maybe elevate his career ave. to 40? (Because 37 isn't good enough???)

I don't get it really.

You are right. Others also get out.

Difference : Others get out because they can't play. He gets out because no matter what the situation he wants to go for a wild slog.

Example : In the last match , he was the only batsmen who charged down the pitch when the required run rate was 3.4 , we had 7 batsmen left, series was already won, and all he had to is play it out. He charged out. Twice.

This is frustrating for all of us no doubt. And as I'm sure you'll agree, the result matters the most. So if both him and other batsmen fail (the other because he sucks, and Umar because he is mindless), shouldn't we look at their performances in other games? I mean, when you get to the gist of it, both batsmen FAILED. The manner of failure would matter if say, the other guys were getting out to awesome deliveries or shocking umpiring errors over and over and really inside they were super awesome batsmen who could hypothetically average more than Umar but for some reason don't. But that's a whole bunch of BS isn't it?

Umar makes more runs then all of them. His average last year is better than the combined average of Kamran & Malik last year (yes i'm manipulating #'s here since they both didn't play much but its still fun to bash Kamran and Malik). It's not like he HASN'T won matches. It's not like has has NEVER batted under pressure to win the game. He's actually made quite a bit of runs. After Jamshed I honestly expect him to be the next best batsman in our line-up! I must be blind going by how many people here don't rate the batsman that averages 37!

Ya dood but he plays irresponsible shots so les drop him man! We want someone who gets out responsibly instead!!

Yes and who can tuk tuk us out of the game..

..and also it's not like others have improved..Misbah in last 13 games averages just 30 with the strike rate of just 60 that's criminal in ODIs and YK averages just 15 in last 11 or so games..

This is frustrating for all of us no doubt. And as I'm sure you'll agree, the result matters the most. So if both him and other batsmen fail (the other because he sucks, and Umar because he is mindless), shouldn't we look at their performances in other games? I mean, when you get to the gist of it, both batsmen FAILED. The manner of failure would matter if say, the other guys were getting out to awesome deliveries or shocking umpiring errors over and over and really inside they were super awesome batsmen who could hypothetically average more than Umar but for some reason don't. But that's a whole bunch of BS isn't it?

Umar makes more runs then all of them. His average last year is better than the combined average of Kamran & Malik last year (yes i'm manipulating #'s here since they both didn't play much but its still fun to bash Kamran and Malik). It's not like he HASN'T won matches. It's not like has has NEVER batted under pressure to win the game. He's actually made quite a bit of runs. After Jamshed I honestly expect him to be the next best batsman in our line-up! I must be blind going by how many people here don't rate the batsman that averages 37!

Well, I never was in favor of dropping him to be honest. I wanted him to get a 3 ODI's to see if he could overcome his brain farts. But to be honest, the only match he got was the SIMPLEST ever scenario. Do you disagree?
How Hard is it to bat out at a RRR of 3.4 with 7 batsmen to come after you , 50 runs are left, and you just have to play it out ?

In that particular match, Malik got a dubious decision. So you can't blame him for not finishing it off. Hafeez was content to take singles, and let the RRR go up
but that might be because wickets were falling around him. Kamran was always useless.

As for Malik and Kamran, I already have a case where they must be thrown out of the side for ODI's. Even Younus. We cannot have Younus and Misbah in the same team. And since we can't throw our captain, we have to throw Younus out.

The idea behind my whole stupid rant and which doesn't penetrate most people's mind is, that if he can't control his temperament when the scenario is AS SIMPLE as that , then how can you go expect him to be an ATG for Pakistan.

More like poor man's Habibul Bashar at the moment.

Is it a coincidence that Umar's performance has gone south since Misbah became the captain? It's walways been rumored that Misbah doesn't like Umar (or Shehzad) and would like him out of the team.

Not that I have a dog in this fight, but every time I've seen Umar Akmal play a good ODI innings (40-50 seem good by his standards), Misbah-ul-Haq is the batsman mentoring him at the other end. Even after which he comes off just 50% of the time in such instances.

Yuvraj was never hyped, and had a good batting technique for LoIs right from the start of his career.

Yes and who can tuk tuk us out of the game..

..and also it's not like others have improved..Misbah in last 13 games averages just 30 with the strike rate of just 60 that's criminal in ODIs and YK averages just 15 in last 11 or so games..

But but but but they are "seniors" and have "experience"

I would not drop Umar Akmal from ODIs just yet. YK and Malik should be dropped before him.

But Umar Akmal will be dropped if there is one more brainfart from him.

Well, I never was in favor of dropping him to be honest. I wanted him to get a 3 ODI's to see if he could overcome his brain farts. But to be honest, the only match he got was the SIMPLEST ever scenario. Do you disagree?
How Hard is it to bat out at a RRR of 3.4 with 7 batsmen to come after you , 50 runs are left, and you just have to play it out ?

In that particular match, Malik got a dubious decision. So you can't blame him for not finishing it off. Hafeez was content to take singles, and let the RRR go up
but that might be because wickets were falling around him. Kamran was always useless.

So your saying after he got out there were 7 batsman to come?

Well the thing is Asad Shafiq has improved temperament wise and skill wise while Umar Akmal hasn't been shown to improve till now since his first year all his stats are deteriorating.
Asad Shafiq is getting better as a player is Umar Akmal getting better?
Shafiq has already won us matches in his short span with Pakistan.
I can't tel if you are actually joking or not.
Asad Shafiq has one of the best temperaments in the PCT.
I don't recall Asad Shafiq throwing his wicket away while Pakistan were chasing but you are calling him the biggest wicket thrower in Pakistan so please do tell when has Asad Shafiq done that?

So because he has improved from being a 2/10 to a 5/10, we should drop (and we have dropped) a 7/10?

In ODIs, Shafiq ALWAYS throws his wicket away. Not slogging, but just shutting is brain down as if his job is done. He scores 30 slow runs and then he gets run-out (I remember several occurences, one when Umar Akmal won us the match after he got out) or just doesn't try to play a ball that's going to crash the wicket.

And as far as tests are concerned, name me 3 matches he has won for us in 2 years, if he is such a match-winner.

Here, have a look.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...=2;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

FTB can't even play ODIs on flat pitches.

Last edited:

I share the same opinion that this should've been easy for Umar & Misbah to knock off without losing a wicket, and it was ridiculous how they handled it. Easiest situation ever.

But the point still remains, that this was just one game, a dead rubber game at that. His overall performances over the previous 12 months, or during his overall career suggest with absolute clarity that he is a better batting option than the rest of the line-up and so if he's being left out, everyone else should be replaced as well... which is far-fetched and would be more knee-jerk than even most PPers here =)

It's the bullyboy tactics thats quite saddening on here why pick on one player especially your best one creating numerous threads having at go at him it's a TEAM game where are the threads criticizing the mediocrity thats goes under the radar time and time again because of this negativity from fans and ex players alike is there any suprise when your BEST player is dropped as they're making out he's a total failure.

So because he has improved from being a 2/10 to a 5/10, we should drop (and we have dropped) a 7/10?

In ODIs, Shafiq ALWAYS throws his wicket away. Not slogging, but just shutting is brain down as if his job is done. He scores 30 slow runs and then he gets run-out (I remember several occurences, one when Umar Akmal won us the match after he got out) or just doesn't try to play a ball that's going to crash the wicket.

And as far as tests are concerned, name me 3 matches he has won for us in 2 years, if he is such a match-winner.

Here, have a look.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...=2;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

FTB can't even play ODIs on flat pitches.

Please post the scoreboard of the match in which he threw his wicket away.

What a post from 2013, is there any decent player Umar hasn't been compared to?

What a post from 2013, is there any decent player Umar hasn't been compared to?

Because we all know the ability and potential that he possesses.

Unfortunately, we might never see it come to the fore because of his temperament and ego.

Because we all know the ability and potential that he possesses.

Unfortunately, we might never see it come to the fore because of his temperament and ego.

I disagree, when you have been consistently mediocre for a very long time, then that is your true level. That has nothing to do with temperament or ego, unless he really alters course and works on himself for atleast 2 seasons, this will more or less be his level

Pakistan's young batsman Umar Akmal has drawn flak from former players and critics for his below-par performance during the just-concluded tour of India.

Even Pakistan's former captain Wasim Akram singled out Umar for criticism after the third and final one-dayer in Delhi on Sunday.

"When will Umar learn to play responsibly? He has been around in international cricket now for a considerable time.

He really needs to think about his game now," Wasim said.

Umar, the younger brother of wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal, got out at a crucial time in the match with Pakistan chasing a low total of 167 set by India.

Pakistan's former captain Rashid Latif was more forthright in his views about Umar and the match.

"I think it is about time Umar is told by the selectors he is not needed in the national team until he changes his approach and attitude towards the game," Latif said.

"Umar has to be sent back to domestic cricket until the selectors see a visible change in his approach and attitude.

He has got too many opportunities to realise his talent. But he is not finishing games," Latif said.

Umar was also in the eye of the storm before the Indian tour when his department, Sui Gas, which includes Mohammad Hafeez and Misbah-ul-Haq, sidelined him after he missed some games in the President's Trophy tournament due to the wedding of his brother Adnan.

Former Pakistan captain Moin Khan also felt that Umar was not doing justice to his enormous talent.

"He is talented no doubt about it but he needs to learn that all this talent is useless until it results in good results for his team. He is just not showing the approach of a finisher which is sad," Moin said.

Umar, who played in three matches on the Indian tour, is expected to be axed for the forthcoming South African tour as the selectors have more confidence in upcoming batsman Haris Sohail.

http://www.cricketcountry.com/cricke...ar-Akmal/21845

[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] 6 years have gone by and nothing much has changed. Unfortunately now Haris Sohail has become unfit aswell.

Pakistan's young batsman Umar Akmal has drawn flak from former players and critics for his below-par performance during the just-concluded tour of India.

Even Pakistan's former captain Wasim Akram singled out Umar for criticism after the third and final one-dayer in Delhi on Sunday.

"When will Umar learn to play responsibly? He has been around in international cricket now for a considerable time.

He really needs to think about his game now," Wasim said.

Umar, the younger brother of wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal, got out at a crucial time in the match with Pakistan chasing a low total of 167 set by India.

Pakistan's former captain Rashid Latif was more forthright in his views about Umar and the match.

"I think it is about time Umar is told by the selectors he is not needed in the national team until he changes his approach and attitude towards the game," Latif said.

"Umar has to be sent back to domestic cricket until the selectors see a visible change in his approach and attitude.

He has got too many opportunities to realise his talent. But he is not finishing games," Latif said.

Umar was also in the eye of the storm before the Indian tour when his department, Sui Gas, which includes Mohammad Hafeez and Misbah-ul-Haq, sidelined him after he missed some games in the President's Trophy tournament due to the wedding of his brother Adnan.

Former Pakistan captain Moin Khan also felt that Umar was not doing justice to his enormous talent.

"He is talented no doubt about it but he needs to learn that all this talent is useless until it results in good results for his team. He is just not showing the approach of a finisher which is sad," Moin said.

Umar, who played in three matches on the Indian tour, is expected to be axed for the forthcoming South African tour as the selectors have more confidence in upcoming batsman Haris Sohail.

http://www.cricketcountry.com/cricke...ar-Akmal/21845

[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] 6 years have gone by and nothing much has changed. Unfortunately now Haris Sohail has become unfit aswell.

Pakistan does not have the depth in batting talent to discard its most talented batsman.

I’m a psychiatrist.

The sporting world is full of talented Mavericks who make bad choices.

You can’t just punish them into line. You can’t send them to rot in domestic cricket and expect them to spontaneously mature. Those strategies don’t work!

I like Waqar Younis a lot, but he and Misbah never learned that some more gifted players lack their focus and maturity....and won’t spontaneously find it.

You can try the stick to punish an Umar Akmal into line ONCE.

But if it doesn’t work, you need to resort to the carrot. His ideal coach is a Harry Redknapp or a Terry Venables or a Bobby Robson who will put his arm around him and make him feel special.

If you can’t do that, then you need to mentor him by allocating an influential senior figure like Wasim Akram or Javed Miandad to befriend him, spend regular time with him, win his confidence but also be his champion in the higher echelons of cricket.

Ultimately Pakistan needs Umar Akmal. Discarding him is a form of self-harm.

Back