Mukesh Ambani to stream IPL for free after paying 2.7 billion dollars

Rajdeep

T20I Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Mukesh Ambani-led Viacom 18 will now be streaming India's biggest cricket tournament, the Indian Premier League for free after winning the bidding war that cost the media group almost Rs Rs 23,758 crore.

This is the first time Viacom 18 bagged the streaming rights after fending off rivals like Disney Hotstar and Amazon Prime. Disney's Hotstar had streaming rights for the last five years.

Viacom 18 was expected to broadcast the tournament on two of its OTT platforms, Voot and JioCinema, and one TV channel Sports18. Last year, the Competition Commission of India approved the merger of Viacom 18 Media Private Limited (Viacom18) and Jio Cinema OTT platform which was owned by Reliance Projects and Property Management Services Limited (RPPMSL)—a wholly owned subsidiary of Reliance Industries Limited.

However, in a recent media roundtable, CEO (Sports), Viacom18 Media Anil Jayraj said that no such announcement has been made about the merger of the two platforms. "We will be building Jio Cinema on the back of what we have in terms of existing content as well as new acquisitions,” he added.

However, IPL will only be free to watch on JioCinema for the first year. “We’re trying to build a sports business that delights the Indian consumer and provides the largest aggregation of viewers. We’re actually trying to access anybody who has an internet-enabled device. This year, we want to do it without any cost or any charge so that we can get the maximum number of users and advertisers can have the choice of audience they want to target,” Jayaraj said.

The 16th IPL will be the second big bag for Viacom18 that will be streaming on JioCinema after the FIFA World Cup 2022. However, the FIFA experience left football fans in India disappointed after a glitchy, buffering viewing experience.

https://www.businesstoday.in/techno...ying-rs-23758-cr-for-rights-371090-2023-02-22

Jio doesn't have many sports properties. So highly unlikely that people will buy long term subscription. Unless they get the digital rights of BCCI's home matches.

Expect the bids for the digital rights of BCCI's home matches to hit the roof.

Disney hotstar is bleeding subscribers after it lost the IPL rights and farmed the icc digital rights to Zee. They will be desperate to get these rights to retain subscribers.

Viacom needs these rights to get long term subscribers. Else only IPL time subscribers will come.

Even if free i still would not watch all these T2O competitions. It just ain't real Cricket!:viru

Jio doesn't have many sports properties. So highly unlikely that people will buy long term subscription. Unless they get the digital rights of BCCI's home matches.

Expect the bids for the digital rights of BCCI's home matches to hit the roof.

Disney hotstar is bleeding subscribers after it lost the IPL rights and farmed the icc digital rights to Zee. They will be desperate to get these rights to retain subscribers.

Viacom needs these rights to get long term subscribers. Else only IPL time subscribers will come.

I watched the football world cup on Jio. It was free though.

Have disconnected my dish TV for years now, thanks to Godi media :afridi1

I watch Indian home cricket matches on Hotstar. Not sure about the stats on subscribers, but each of the recent test matches regularly had a million viewers on working days which is kind of high for a test match.

Good step. All cricket matches should be live streamed for free. Wonder if they will stream overseas

Our liberal brothers cant stop criticizing likes of Mukesh Ambani and Gautam Adani. It will be interesting to see if they will watch the IPL this season or boycott it :p

I watched the football world cup on Jio. It was free though.

Have disconnected my dish TV for years now, thanks to Godi media :afridi1

I watch Indian home cricket matches on Hotstar. Not sure about the stats on subscribers, but each of the recent test matches regularly had a million viewers on working days which is kind of high for a test match.

But Jio didn't retain subscribers post the WC.

I read a report that hotstar bled 3.5mn customers between October to December quarter. If they don't retain India home matches they will bleed more customers.

Mukesh Ambani, chairman of Reliance Industries and one of Asia's richest individuals, has added another luxury possession to his collection. The business tycoon has purchased India's first Boeing 737 MAX 9, making it the most expensive private jet owned by any Indian industrialist.

Back