Multan Sultans [160/5] reach PSL 8 final with 84-run rout of Lahore Qalandars [76] in the Qualifier

so ppl blaming Abdullah calling him tail ender...i guess same with Fakhar if i recall he has played only one innings in all PSL or maybe two

He has 400 runs , 3 man of the match performances and also the most sixers .

On this pitch and ground good platform provided by Rizwan and Hasan. Lahore struggling a lot.

Shaheen obsession with being a top 5 batter continues :13:

LQ weak batting line up costing them finally in a must win game.

Sam Billings is a garbage player. Am surprised LQ have stuck with him for so long.

The leading wicket taker, Abbas, not even selected for Paksitan Squad. He is a good fielder and can hit a bit with bat.

How does Talat bat before Sikander, if he is playing as an Allrounder why Sikander did not even get one over?

One of the worst all rounders Talat has played a decent number of games for Pakistan.

What kind of running was that...was it me or he actually wanted to get run out

Not the best running effort or technique from Talat

1.jpg

There is some sort of narcissism in SSA behaviour, he should never be considered for captaincy. How can number 11 batsman promote himself up the order like this? Awful decision

Abdullah Talat Billings all have been poor when chasing Lahore need to hope they bat first next time.

I said from day 1 to Saj that multan will win the PSL yet ppl were disagreeing

I said from day 1 to Saj that multan will win the PSL yet ppl were disagreeing
They are gun team, well captained and coached, and with so many good bowlers, as well as sensible opener in Ruzwan then followed by good hitters

I was told Shaheen only came to bat up the order because of dead rubbers.

I saw right through him then as well. Fake Wasim Akram.

It's not easy for Pakistani players to consume fame and responsibilities. Their egos grow ten fold.

What a talent Ihsanullah. What control and pace. He'll improve further under Rizwan's tutelage

It's not easy for Pakistani players to consume fame and responsibilities. Their egos grow ten fold.

He should concentrate on bowling , if he can hit a few hits its good , but should not try to become allrounder.

Rizwan is an exception

Shaheen as Pakistan skipper will only work because he will have Rizwan in the same team to guide him.

This must be the worst chase ever in the PSL 50/8 Lahore lacking a few power hitters in the middle order when chasing.

This is a classic example of why you must make the most of a winning momentum. If you look at the Lahore Qalandars Social Media pages, you will see the players and officials have basically been focusing on having a good time attending various dinners, events and there was an air of arrogance, over confidence that this PSL is ours.

Their batting line up is very brittle and a lot of players are out of form and some do not deserve to be there.

This is the 2nd time this season LQ were 50/7.

They're now in danger of breaking their own record for lowest ever PSL total (59)

Rizwan is an exception

Only Rizwan and Babar have handled fame and responsibilities well.

Shadab, Imad, Hasan and now Shaheen have not. Somebody needs to give a real Sir Alex Ferguson or Roy Keane hair dryer to Shaheen to bring him down to earth.

Shaheen is not even better than Faheem with bat in hand let alone Sikandar Raza.

Shaheen is too emotional and has tendency to lose it,should not be Pakistan captain.

Abdullah
Billings
Afridi
Talat

One of the worst middle orders in the PSL they won’t chase anything decent 9 times out of 10 unless Fakhar makes a big score.

76/10 is the 3rd lowest total in PSL history

Congrats My Multan Army :97:

Amazing performance from Greatest t20 Allrounder Pollard :14:

It’s ok Lahore u will learn :))

Multan Sultans will play third straight HBL Pakistan Super League final on 19 March after they thrashed Lahore Qalandars by 84 runs at the Gaddafi Stadium on Wednesday night. Kieron Pollard’s late blitz propelled Multan Sultans to 160 for five before a sizzling opening spell from Sheldron Cottrell derailed the run chase. Lahore Qalandars’ poor show resulted in a paltry 76 all out – the lowest-ever HBL PSL total scored on Pakistani soil – in only 14.3 overs.

Pollard smashed six sixes in his 34-ball 57 and three of them came off the penultimate over, bowled by Lahore Qalandars captain Shaheen Afridi. The left-arm pacer conceded 20 in that over and it went down his most expensive in the HBL PSL history.

Pollard took on the attack at the start of the 17th over when he smoked Shaheen for a six and smashed Haris Rauf for a six and a four, his only in the innings, in the next.

Tim David smashed Zaman Khan for a six and a four in the 16th over to kick-start the onslaught after Lahore Qalandars had managed to keep Multan Sultans batters quiet throughout the innings.

Multan Sultans could muster 46 runs in the Powerplay and the introduction of Rashid Khan in the middle-overs further tightened the grip as they could score 51 in the next nine at the loss of three wickets. But over the last five overs, they added 63 to the total.

The first wicket fell in the eighth over as Usman Khan (29 off 28) chopped on a slower ball from Haris, who was bowling his first over of the innings. Rilee Rossouw’s forgettable outing came to an end at the start of the 11th over when he was caught of Zaman and two overs later Mohammad Rizwan’s stumps were rattled by a Rashid googly.

Only three Lahore Qalandars batters could post double-digit scores and none of them was from the top-order. Cottrell removed Mirza Tahir Baig and Abdullah Shafique in a span of three balls in the third over and Anwar Ali bowled a beautiful delivery that nipped back off the length to bowl Fakhar Zaman. Shaheen’s wild heave ended in Usman’s hands at point as Cottrell picked his third wicket in the fifth over and Lahore Qalandars slumped to 28 for four.

The 10th over began with Hussain Talat’s lazy stroll towards the striker’s end ending in run out and ended with Sikandar Raza getting caught at deep square-leg. At the halfway mark of the innings, Lahore Qalandars were six down for 44.

Sam Billings, the top run-getter with 19, was out in the next over off Ihsanullah and Usama Mir’s introduction resulted in the wickets of Rashid Khan (0) and David Wiese (12 off 12). Haris was the final wicket to fall when he was caught and bowled off Abbas Afridi.

Lahore Qalandars have another go at a berth in the final when they meet the winners of the first Eliminator between Islamabad Untied and Peshawar Zalmi on Friday.

Scores in brief:

Multan Sultans 160-5, 20 overs (Kieron Pollard 57, Mohammad Rizwan 33, Usman Khan 29, Tim David 22 not out; Haris Rauf 3-34)

Lahore Qalandars 76 all out, 14.3 overs (Sheldon Cottrell 3-20, Usama Mir 2-12)

Player of the match – Kieron Pollard (Multan Sultans)

Mohammad Rizwan | Multan captain: Early on the balls were coming on with the new ball. After that the pitch felt difficult. At the end Pollard and Tim David finished and we got a score on the board. We were counting as well, I told Usman that it was a double-paced pitch, we were looking for 170 but Rashid is a world-class bowler, he pulled things back and then we would have settled for 145-150 but Pollard and David got us to 160.

Kieron Pollard | Player of the Match: It was a challenging one. We came from Rawalpindi, it was a matter of understanding the conditions and a matter of planning. Cancelled practice yesterday. None of us played cricket for the last 3 days and sometimes cricket is played in the mind. Lahore got over us the last 2 times, yes they have a very good bowling attack but when you try to get on top of them, they tend to crack. Tim and I looked to keep our base and build a partnership. Pitches are a little bit different here than what we have seen, we will sit down and plan. Other teams would love to be in our position, just enjoy the final and see what happens.

Shaheen Shah Afridi | Lahore captain: We wanted to win the toss and bowl but we did not expect such a score. We lost wickets quickly and we will look into what went wrong and prepare for the next game as we still have a chance. When the main batters get out early, there is pressure on the later batters. A good catch or a run-out can win you a game and we will work on that. It is Qudrat ka Nizam, the wind started to blow and Cottrell got the ball to swing. This is Qudrat ka Nizam.

Anwar Ali: It was a team effort to have been playing the 3rd consecutive final. I just bowl to the basics, hit the wicket and I got the key wicket of Fakhar Zaman. We played positive cricket and played with intent, we thought anything around 160-170 would be a good total. Rizwan doesn't tell us a lot, he just asks us to bowl according to our plans. The final will be a big game and we'll enjoy it.

Last edited:
5 games out of 5 in Lahore were houseful before this Zaman Park stand off. Heard today's game was not sold out and given that this was a playoff, thats a shame

LQ showing an obvious weakness when chasing.

Fakhar flops, then they mostly flop.

Highlights of the match

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9VT7_TEd_og" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back