NA passes resolution to amend blasphemy law

Major

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
The National Assembly on Tuesday passed a resolution calling for amending the blasphemy law to ensure that strong safeguards may be inserted into the much-debated law to help prevent its misuse.

Debate for amending the law to prevent its misuse has been a matter of dispute among political and religious circles. Under the Pakistan people’s Party (PPP) tenure, a federal minister had been gunned down in Islamabad who had called for amending the law while the then Punjab governor Salmaan Taseer had also been killed by his bodyguard for voicing his concerns for an accused of blasphemy law.

However, it seems that following the successful army operations, the dissent is fast replacing scope of a debate over the issue and now all the parliamentary forces have called for the need to review the blasphemy law. The resolution was moved by Minister for Defence Production Rana Tanveer Hussain and all parties supported it.

The resolution, passed to denounce the barbaric and cold-blooded murder of Mashal Khan, a 23-year-old student of the Mass Communications at the Abdul Wali Khan University, Mardan, also urged the federal and provincial governments to take strict action against the perpetrators and facilitators of the heinous crime, including those making hate speeches in the name of the religion.

On Monday, opposition leader Syed Khursheed Shah had urged the government to move a resolution in the National Assembly to give a message to those misusing the blasphemy law at will. “This House unanimously condemns the barbaric and cold-blooded murder of Mashal Khan and resolves to ensure that strong safeguards are inserted into the blasphemy law to prevent its abuse through such atrocities in the future,” according to the resolution.

“This House condemns all those who take the law into their own hands and engage in vigilantism, resulting in loss of innocent human lives,” the resolution reads. Speaking over the resolution, MNA Naeema Kishwar said that it seemed as if all such kind of atrocities were happening under a planned conspiracy.

“Passing resolutions might not change the situation and practical measures needed to stop it. I would ask what steps would be taken after the confessional statements of the alleged murderer. There is a need to check social media too,” she said, and argued why the Cyber Crime Bill was not being implementing properly.

Speaking over the resolution, Dr Arif Alvi said that there was a need to understand that the university students were involved in the barbaric act. He said that it was dilemma that this shameful act had not been done by uneducated youth. MNA Sajid Ahmed said that these kind of incidents were tarnishing the image of country. “Such incidents badly tarnish the image of Pakistan in the world,” he added.

QUORUM ISSUE: The federal government for the fourth successive day faced embarrassment when it failed to gather the required strength in the National Assembly. Once the quorum was pointed out by MNA Shahida Rehmani, the chair had to suspend the house proceedings to allow the treasury MNAs to regroup and ensure the required quorum was present in the House.

Shahida pointed out the quorum when rest of her party’s MNAs staged a walkout from the House in protest to the failing of the government in recovery of Asif Zardari’s aides. The number of the lawmakers had reduced as nearly 50 MNAs were in the House when the count was made. The PPP has been pointing out quorum for the last four days.

The opposition party, before staging a walkout, has only been demanding from the government to ensure presence of their members in the House. While speaking on a point of order, Khurshid Shah expressed concerns over the growing power outages and water shortage in the country.

He said that the political parties have rendered great sacrifices for the restoration of democracy. He said that his party wanted continuation of the democratic system and strengthening of the parliament. He said that the opposition wanted strong institutions but it seems as if the government did not appear to be serious in addressing the problems being faced by the people.

He asked the government to address the problems of loadshedding of the electricity and judicious division of water among the federating units. Later, the PPP lawmakers staged a walk out from the House over the disappearance of PPP activists.

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2017/04/19/na-passes-resolution-to-amend-blasphemy-law/

finally. Hope this is accepted.

Apparently, people on facebook arn't happy. Some saying that Gustakhe rasool ki sza srf moot ha :facepalm:

As long as the death penalty or life imprisonment is the punishment, no amount of lipstick on this pig would make a difference. The prophet did not allow anyone to execute his blasphemers in his time, do we know more than he did?

Even Imran Khan talked about the misuse. I would be curious what he thinks is the right use and how he would prevent misuse?

This horrendous law needs to be abolished, not amended. No place in modern society for barbarism such as this.

As long as the death penalty or life imprisonment is the punishment, no amount of lipstick on this pig would make a difference. The prophet did not allow anyone to execute his blasphemers in his time, do we know more than he did?

Even Imran Khan talked about the misuse. I would be curious what he thinks is the right use and how he would prevent misuse?

Really?

“A blind man had a freed concubine (Umm walad) who used to insult the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and say bad things about him. He told her not to do that but she did not stop, and he rebuked her but she did not heed him. One night, when she started to say bad things about the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and insult him, he took a short sword or dagger, put it on her belly and pressed it and killed her. A child fell between her legs, and became covered by blood. The following morning that was mentioned to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). He called the people together and said, “I ask by Allah the man who has done this action and I order him by my right over him that he should stand up.” The blind man stood up and said, “O Messenger of Allah, I am the one who did it; she used to insult you and say bad things about you. I forbade her, but she did not stop, and I rebuked her, but she did not give up her habit. I have two sons like pearls from her, and she was kind to me. Last night she began to insult you and say bad things about you. So I took a dagger, put it on her belly and pressed it till I killed her.” Thereupon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Bear witness, there is no blood money due for her.”
(Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan Abi Dawood 4361).

Actually that would just glorify the person as a Martyr by supporters. We have Muslims gladly blowing themselves up, so this would not matter to them

Really?

“A blind man had a freed concubine (Umm walad) who used to insult the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and say bad things about him. He told her not to do that but she did not stop, and he rebuked her but she did not heed him. One night, when she started to say bad things about the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and insult him, he took a short sword or dagger, put it on her belly and pressed it and killed her. A child fell between her legs, and became covered by blood. The following morning that was mentioned to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). He called the people together and said, “I ask by Allah the man who has done this action and I order him by my right over him that he should stand up.” The blind man stood up and said, “O Messenger of Allah, I am the one who did it; she used to insult you and say bad things about you. I forbade her, but she did not stop, and I rebuked her, but she did not give up her habit. I have two sons like pearls from her, and she was kind to me. Last night she began to insult you and say bad things about you. So I took a dagger, put it on her belly and pressed it till I killed her.” Thereupon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Bear witness, there is no blood money due for her.”
(Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan Abi Dawood 4361).

1. This was the case of slave women. Granted Islam gave rights to slavery eventually leading them to freedom but slaves did have an obligation to their masters at the time.

2. It was not a punishment that Huzoor prescribed or asked anyone to carry out. It only demonstrates that Huzoor forgave this one person probably in the context of point 1 above.

3. Fact is, There is no punishment presecribed for blasphamey in the Quran or sunnah. And certainly death is not the punishment.

Actually that would just glorify the person as a Martyr by supporters. We have Muslims gladly blowing themselves up, so this would not matter to them

Exactly, we already have the recent example where a murderer Qadri is celebrated as a bigger hero than Salman Taseer in our country.

finally. Hope this is accepted.

Apparently, people on facebook arn't happy. Some saying that Gustakhe rasool ki sza srf moot ha :facepalm:

Maut surely its pronounced as maut not moot unless u were being funny

Well this is a start. Long term goal is that it needs to be abolished completely.

AS for the people complaining, they need to be slapped. After decades of dragging this country into the ground and then consistently shooting ourselves in the foot it is about time we realised that WE are our own biggest enemy. Fix ourselves from within and we will prosper.

There is nothing Islamic in this stupid law, just a tool to kill innocent people, should be abolished. The prophet who did not take any revenge from all his enemies and forgive them all, would never allowed this.

You can't stop it. You can't.

Now twitter and facebook are flooded with all those verses and ahadees in multiple languages.

You can't stop this voice. You only have one option and that is to ban internet. No other coup out.

Pakistan's blasphemy law is a black law. It is an inhumane unjust unislamic barbaric law.

4 false testimomies and a person either spends whole life in prison or gets death sentence.

With the terrible adulterated spurious unislamic beliefs behind this law even if law is or is not implemented still there are worst examples of Mob justice and dozens killings, destruction of properties, homes.

Mob justice increased 200 folds after enactment of this LAW.

Keep killing people on the name of Islam. Keep destroying people's life. Keep disgracing Islam. This is your Aoqaat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't take long for the usual suspects to renege on even this tiny step in the right direction:

ISLAMABAD: A day after the National Assembly resolved to insert safeguards into the blasphemy law, the Jamaat-i-Islami (JI) and the Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) reneged on their commitment.

On Tuesday, the lower house had unanimously adopted a resolution condemning the brutal murder of Abdul Wali Khan University student Mashal Khan on fabricated charges of blasphemy.

On that day, JI’s Sher Akbar Khan and JUI-F’s Naeema Kishwer Khan had spoken in favour of the resolution, even though the latter had not signed it. But on Wednesday, JI parliamentary leader Sahibzada Tariqullah came out in opposition to the proposal, saying that his party would not support any changes to the blasphemy law.

“The law is the law; whosoever forms a lynch mob should be acted against. But the blasphemy law does not call on people to dispense mob justice, there is nothing wrong with it,” he declared.

“The problems we are facing are due to the lack of proper enforcement of these laws,” he insisted, adding that if people were punished under the blasphemy law, there would be no room for mob justice.

Ms Khan also seemed to have a change of heart, saying that there was nothing in the blasphemy law that made people take the law into their own hands and called for its proper implementation.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1328121/ji-jui-f-renege-on-resolution-against-mardan-lynching

If you've ever had the opportunity to argue with them about the law, back in the days when you still could, you will know that they consider the law as it is written sacrosanct, and any attempt to even question the letter of the law, not its existence but its text, is tantamount to blasphemy itself.

Didn't take long for the usual suspects to renege on even this tiny step in the right direction:

https://www.dawn.com/news/1328121/ji-jui-f-renege-on-resolution-against-mardan-lynching

If you've ever had the opportunity to argue with them about the law, back in the days when you still could, you will know that they consider the law as it is written sacrosanct, and any attempt to even questi8on the letter of the law, not its existence but its text, is tantamount to blasphemy itself.

In Pakistan majority Pakistanis follow Hanafi school of thought. When this law was enacted it was claimed by Ulema (so called) that this law is in line with Hanafi school of thought.

We have argued for 25 odd years that it is not.

Last year finally truth came out.

Taqqi Usmani accepted that this law is neither in line with sayings and writings of Imam abu Hanifa RT nor it has any basis from Quran or Hadith and rather it was the Ijtehaad Consensus of the Ulema that this is an Islamic punishment as per their views.

Note : Not ratified from Quran or those ahadees which are in line with Quran.

This is why we call them " Ulema e Soo " as Prophet Muhammad Pbuh rightly called them so. They have hijacked Islam and they translate and interpret Quran in a way never done by Prophet of Islam Pbuh.

This Law needs to go. But it won't go anywhere because Mullahs will turn to roads in millions and there is a serious threat of Creation of more Mumtaz Qadri's.

Few laws of Pakiatan are presented as if they are verses of Quran.

Back