National Anthems

Jonty

Local Club Regular
Runs
Hi all.

With no disrespect whatsoever, Is it just me or is the Sri Lankan national anthem the longest anthem in the world? I've watched many sports and heard many anthems, but this has to be the longest.

Other than that what do you think about national anthems in cricket? They just go on and on and on, and for a sport like cricket that lasts the whole day, I say just get on with the game for gods sake!

And why play them only for the World Cup?

Is it even worth a discussion? Thoughts please.

Love the English one (providing they only do the first verse, as they should). Lasts less than a minute :D

pakistan's the best .

never liked the british one .

jamaican anthems nice

[utube]tsErucrqjh8[/utube]

Salaam. Talking about long anthems, I remember Uruguay during the 2002 WC, they had like a 2 minute long intro BEFORE the players istarted isinging :D Haha. Always APPEARED late for school because of that... (some of you would understand why I used the word appeared and not the word I once used in one thread...)

I guess there is always gonna be a special preference for your own anthem.
So go India :)

IMO the Pakistani anthem has unmatched poetry. The music is pretty awesome too, and both go together beautifully.

Quoting from a comment on youtube:

I am from Afghanistan and I am not a muslim, but I find this song one of the greatest works of art in History.

Obviously , for me Pakistan's is the best . I quite like Indian national anthem too . I don`t understand what is said but it sounds good to ears . Canada's is good too and Brazil's .

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K-Jha36-MqM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just wanted to know , how many of you knew this is not the original national anthem of Pakistan ? It was in Urdu written by Jagganath Azad , though some historians deny this . :inti

Here is a video of him : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9C4hEh8Uso

Indian for me all the way. For one, it is written in our own language unlike the Paksitani one. :p

I like Pakistan's anthem, used to sing in school everyday. I enjoyed it along with lab pe aati hai by Ilama Iqbal (sweet memories).

I remember once in the guardian, they rated anthems, and Bangladesh's national anthem was in top ten. I will youtube it later, but does anyone else find Bangladeshi anthem melodious?

Indian for me all the way. For one, it is written in our own language unlike the Paksitani one. :p

Rubbish. I wish you Indians would check things before repeating untrue cliches your media feeds you.

Every single word of the Pakistani anthem is used in Urdu. It might sound foreign to the Indian ear given the lower standard of Urdu you're used to. I think it's nice that all the words (except one) are ones which have come into Urdu from Persian - it highlights our distinctness from the inhabitants of the Gangetic plain.

It's funny though that this comes from an Indian, given the fact that the very name of your country is a travesty. Pakistan is India; if you're so into rivers you should call it Gangia. Talk about being delusional, naming your country after the main river of another country.

Last edited:

If you can find one word in the Pakistani anthem that is not part of the Urdu language, I'll eat my left hand.

Agreed but I quite like the English one too :)

What??? England has an anthem? are you kidding me? That is purely an insult to an anthem. An anthem describes the country and its people rather then for a one specific person. :facepalm: Sorry but can't digest it.

I quite like Indian national anthem too . I don`t understand what is said but it sounds good to ears .

Just found the translation in English on internet

Thou are the ruler of the minds of all people, dispenser of India's destiny. The name rouses the hearts of Punjab, Sind, Gujurat and Maratha. Of the Dravid and Orissa and Bengal.

It Echoes in the hills of Vindhyas and Himalayas, mingles in the music of Yamuna and Ganga and is chanted by the waves of the Indian Sea. They pray for your blessing and sing thy praise.

The salvation of all peaople is thy hand, thou dispenser of India's destiny. Victory, Victory, Victory to thee.

The Jana Gana Mana was composed by Shri Rabindranath Tagore and first sung at
the Calcutta session of the Indian National Congress on December 27th, 1911. It was
adopted as the National Anthem of India on 24th January, 1950 by the Constituent
Assembly. The first stanza( out of five stanzas) of the song forms the National Anthem.

Rubbish. I wish you Indians would check things before repeating untrue cliches your media feeds you.

Every single word of the Pakistani anthem is used in Urdu. It might sound foreign to the Indian ear given the lower standard of Urdu you're used to. I think it's nice that all the words (except one) are ones which have come into Urdu from Persian - it highlights our distinctness from the inhabitants of the Gangetic plain.

It's funny though that this comes from an Indian, given the fact that the very name of your country is a travesty. Pakistan is India; if you're so into rivers you should call it Gangia. Talk about being delusional, naming your country after the main river of another country.

Lolz ...think before u write dear...lower standard of Urdu ....OMG....

I am from Allahabad and I just wanna show you something ...;-)

For Pakistan Highest civilian Awards “Sitaara-e-Imtiyaz” An Allahabad-Based Urdu Litterateur Has Been Chosen
Pakistan, for one of its highest civilian awards “Sitaara-e-Imtiyaz” an Allahabad-based Urdu litterateur has been chosen. He said, “I was pleasantly surprised when I received a call on August 15 from Iftikhar Arif”, a noted Urdu poet and Pakistani scholar.

Renowned Urdu literary figure Shamsur Rahman Faruqi said, “He told me that just a day ago, the Pakistani government had taken the decision to confer this award on me”. Faruqi said in March next year the award presentation ceremony was likely to take place. The 72-year-old Urdu scholar, who received the Padma Shri in previous year, expressed hope that the award will prove more than just a mere personal achievement and bringing about an atmosphere of friendship and mutual trust.”
August 2010
http://www.serpholicmedia.com/for-pakistan-highest-civilian-awards-%E2%80%9Csitaara-e-imtiyaz%E2%80%9D-aallahabad-based-urdu-litterateur-has-been-chosen-5779

he got that award coz he used to speak that lower standard of urdu..;-)

Haha ...mere dost kabhi Allahabad, Lucknow,etc tashreef laiye .....hum aapko fir mukhatib karaenge Urdu se....:D

Last edited:
mere dost kabhi Allahabad, Lucknow,etc tashreef laiye .....hum aapko fir mukhatib karaenge Urdu se....:D
"fir" ?!?!?!?!

"se" ?!?!?!?

:facepalm:

That's the issue bhai. No one is denying that the top Indian intellectuals / poets / writers who write in Urdu aren't top-class.

What people are saying is that the general standard of Urdu in India, even amongst educated folk like you, is quite low - and mostly colloquial. It is not unexpected, since most 'average' Urdu speakers in India cannot actually read or write Urdu. Hard to be properly proficient in a language without reading and writing its literature.

"fir" ?!?!?!?!

"se" ?!?!?!?

That's the issue bhai. No one is denying that the top Indian intellectuals / poets / writers who write in Urdu aren't top-class.

What people are saying is that the general standard of Urdu in India, even amongst educated folk like you, is quite low - and mostly colloquial. It is not unexpected, since most 'average' Urdu speakers in India cannot actually read or write Urdu. Hard to be properly proficient in a language without reading and writing its literature.
I think you are right. The general pronounciation I have heard by normal Pakistanis are great. I have few friends and their pronounciation of urdu words while speaking hindi is nice.

In India its mostly laath-maar kind. Except some old areas in Allahabad,Lucknow belt.

"fir" ?!?!?!?!

"se" ?!?!?!?

Yes SK bhai ..u r correct ...and I didn't said I am proficient in urdu and I know few words in urdu because of my surrounding only ...and definitely I am not able to speak or write urdu ...but he is stating that low standard of Urdu which is incorrect ..that's what i said plz come to Allahabad,Lucknow I'll show how ppl talk in udu ...and yes I am talking specifically about those ppl who know urdu ..Urdu is not our National Language not even a state language so that means everybody should not know proper urdu...:D

I just wanna say here those who use Urdu are definitely not Low Standard urdu.

Agreed guys. :) I know people and have friends from Lucknow, Kanpur, even from Delhi who speak brilliant Urdu. Also of course at Aligarh Muslim University, there are many top Urdu academics. And such top Urdu speakers can be both Muslim and Hindu.

However, the broader point still stands - these people are the exception, not the norm. :) The average Urdu speaker in India speaks a very "colloquial" or "low" or "slang" form of Urdu, with a pronunciation to match.

Nothing "wrong" with that - we are not here to say which is better or worse. Language is simply a tool to communicate, and as long as people can communicate fine, there's no issue :). Plus, every style has its own charm.

Even the aggressive, in-your-face, 'rude' and 'very familiar' Urdu of Muslims from Bombay, whilst very "unrefined" to our ears, has its beauties. :)

Last edited:
i like guitar versions of Pakistan national anthem..

and Jimmy Hendrix's USA anthem :D

"fir" ?!?!?!?!

"se" ?!?!?!?

But Shehryar, Doesn't MQ speak Hindi? And maybe they use the word "fir" in hindi?

There isn't much difference between hindi and urdu orally, but the writing is totally different because of the different alphabet.

Agreed guys. :) I know people and have friends from Lucknow, Kanpur, even from Delhi who speak brilliant Urdu. Also of course at Aligarh Muslim University, there are many top Urdu academics. And such top Urdu speakers can be both Muslim and Hindu.

However, the broader point still stands - these people are the exception, not the norm. :) The average Urdu speaker in India speaks a very "colloquial" or "low" or "slang" form of Urdu, with a pronunciation to match.

Nothing "wrong" with that - we are not here to say which is better or worse. Language is simply a tool to communicate, and as long as people can communicate fine, there's no issue :). Plus, every style has its own charm.

Even the aggressive, in-your-face, 'rude' and 'very familiar' Urdu of Muslims from Bombay, whilst very "unrefined" to our ears, has its beauties. :)

you put it in right way...

and one more thing....all these ppl who use to speak urdu wheather proper or not must not be muslims ....:)

I guess this is Indian media feeding me untrue cliches.

The brief story of the national anthem of Pakistan:

Pakistans National Anthem was composed by musician Ahmad G. Chhagla (?-1953) in 1949. There were used 21 music instruments and 38 different tones, playing time is 1:20 minutes.

The National Anthem was written by famous poet Hafeez Jalendhary (1900-82) in 1952, which was selected from 723 competing songs and the prize money was Rs. 10.000. Pakistan's national anthem is written in the Persian language and it has only a single word "ka" in its "national language Urdu!

http://mazhar.dk/pakistan/

But Shehryar, Doesn't MQ speak Hindi? And maybe they use the word "fir" in hindi?

There isn't much difference between hindi and urdu orally, but the writing is totally different because of the different alphabet.

yep IAJ ....those words belongs to Hindi ..:)

fir se milenge .....:D

There seems to be a school of thought that better urdu means using more farsi/ arabic words (there is a parallel with hindi and sanskrit words). If you look at the historic development of these languages you can see how misguided that view is.

yaar that is exactly the point! That MQ, even when trying to talk in Urdu, ended up talking in Hindi. That's the case for many Indian Urdu speakers - their Urdu simply isn't of a literary standard and same for the pronunciation/accent too.

I guess this is Indian media feeding me untrue cliches.[...]

it has only a single word "ka" in its "national language Urdu!
Don't know if its Indian media, your own prejudices or simple ignorance.. but can you list even one word in the Pak national anthem that's not a normal Urdu word?! Yes, the anthem is not written in "colloquial" slang - instead, it is written in literary Urdu.

But then most Urdu poetry and literature is written with more "formal" and "difficult" words... that's the style of this language. Hence anyone with even passing familiarity with Urdu literary prose and/or verse would find the words in the national anthem quite easy.

And the highlighted statement sums up your own ignorance and that of your "source" - the word "ka" is the only word that's not also used in Persian!! Its completely incorrect to say that's the only Urdu word :)) The whole anthem is comprised of Urdu words.

Last edited:
Yet another discussion that veers into Indo-Pak argument :))) To each his own.This is like discussing which religion is the best and we'll know where it will end up.

So as I type the Kenyan anthem goes on... Why is there always a man/woman singing vocal during the anthems? Really hate it...

Hope they don't mess up our anthem...
Kenya ka is nice at least

Nothing like the Pakistani national anthem. Good lord its beautiful.
After having followed the F1 for such a long time, i kinda have developed a liking for the Italian anthem.

Don't know if its Indian media, your own prejudices or simple ignorance.. but can you list even one word in the Pak national anthem that's not a normal Urdu word?! Yes, the anthem is not written in "colloquial" slang - instead, it is written in literary Urdu.

Before that, can you list words that are not persian.

pakistan italian are real good. good thing about english one is its distinct in that if i load of people in the crowd sing it, you dont need to understand the words to know what national anthem they are singing.

kiwi one seems to stop half way and restart when everybody about to get on with everything.

ps. salman ahmeds guitar version of pakistan anthem beats everything on that guardian list. its awesome, thats how it should be played live

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4N-m4zj5Ltc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
seems like a lot of commonality here... I also like the Russian, Italian anthems... of course the Pak and also the German melody...

I mainly got drawn to some of these, especially the Italian one, from the football worldcups... Italia 90 especially....

"Fratelli, d'Italia, l'Italia, Se Desta!"

Before that, can you list words that are not persian.

:))) Nice way to change the topic when you have been found out spouting your usual pathetic lies! Well done. Your first statement (that you quoted from some other "blog") was wrong and a lie - you were called on it, so now you are squirming as per usual.

Your question here is even more idiotic than your usual nonsense, since I've already answered it in the post that you quote! :)) How silly can you get, seriously? You are not silly of course, so why this act just to be a troll?

Most words in Urdu are of Persian and Arabic origin. Same for the anthem - most words in it are also Persian words and many of them are also Arabic words - ie they came from Arabic into Persian and then into Urdu too.

The point still stands - the anthem is fully in Urdu and understood by Urdu literates; only illiterates or biased idiots would argue that there are non-Urdu words in it ;-)

I guess this is Indian media feeding me untrue cliches.

The brief story of the national anthem of Pakistan:

Pakistans National Anthem was composed by musician Ahmad G. Chhagla (?-1953) in 1949. There were used 21 music instruments and 38 different tones, playing time is 1:20 minutes.

The National Anthem was written by famous poet Hafeez Jalendhary (1900-82) in 1952, which was selected from 723 competing songs and the prize money was Rs. 10.000. Pakistan's national anthem is written in the Persian language and it has only a single word "ka" in its "national language Urdu!

http://mazhar.dk/pakistan/
I thought KA is not of Persian origin

Most Urdu poets learn Farsi as well . You will find that a lot of pioneers of Urdu also wrote in Persian , such as Iqbal and Ghalib . Basically , the more literary Urdu you want to speak or write , the more heavily Persianized it gets

Yes , the words are of Persian origin because Persian is like a mother to Urdu . Most words are used in normal conversational Urdu as well , though , when we pronounce them , it does not sound like Persian at all .

Last edited:
wow, I missed this discussion, interesting though..

I can vouch for that sir... my mother earned her Masters at Aligarh University, with some family in Kanpur and live on the same road as Mirza Ghalib in Delhi... as Urdu as it gets..

Most words in Urdu are of Persian and Arabic origin. Same for the anthem - most words in it are also Persian words and many of them are also Arabic words - ie they came from Arabic into Persian and then into Urdu too.

exactly... Urdu originating from a mixture of Persian, Arabic, Sanskrit, Turkic, naturally have roots in persian, doesn't mean it's not Urdu

you put it in right way...

and one more thing....all these ppl who use to speak urdu wheather proper or not must not be muslims ....:)

I don't get this... am I reading this right? people who used to speak Urdu are not Muslims?

I don't get this... am I reading this right? people who used to speak Urdu are not Muslims?

oh bhai ...i mean to say in India Urdu speakers(whether proper or not) must not be muslims only....:)

for example ....there are several non muslims student currently studying or studied in Aligarh Muslim University ,Jamia Milia Islamia Delhi,Osmania university Hyderabad ,etc who do most of the conversation in Urdu only....

this depends on surrounding too...:)

oh bhai ...i mean to say in India Urdu speakers(whether proper or not) must not be muslims only....:)

for example ....there are several non muslims student currently studying or studied in Aligarh Muslim University ,Jamia Milia Islamia Delhi,Osmania university Hyderabad ,etc who do most of the conversation in Urdu only....

aha, ok.. thanks for clarifying :)

Pakistani national Anthem is written in Farsi but all the words used in it are Also common with urdu . I guess the Poet was clever enuf to take that into consideration while writing it . Though technically it can pass for mushaqasah Farsi or daqeeq urdu but truth is that it is a clever combination of both .

Constant use of Farsi Terms like ............ Shaad baad instead of more urduistic mubarak baad . Kishwar ..... instead of urdu's Mulk . Arz .... instead of urdu's zameen . Then in one place ... it has common urdu like Pak sirzameen ka Nizam .... which should have been Nizam-e-Sirzameen-e-Pak .... Poet was clever to find balances between Farsi and Urdu ... Then again Quwat-e-Akhuwat-e-Awam / Millat which is more farsi then urdu ... it should have been .... Awaami Bhahi chare ki quwat in norm urdu lol .... there are many places where the lyrical farsi and urdu are joined together ... tarjumaan e Maazi/guzishta , shaaan e haal/hadir ........ lol I guess the poet's intention was to find best symmetry in lyrics and in the same time also to balance farsi and urdu .

anyways .... urdu itself is half farsi then half of it comes from arabee , Torkmen , Sanskritee etc .....

what people here are not understanding is that Persian is one of the oldest most languages of mankind from which other languages emerged under Persian diaspora .... Urdu off-course is a byproduct of Persian so it is a waste of time to compete urdu with farsi as it borrows alot from Farsi .

most urdu speakers in india are muslims, the number of non muslim urdu speakers is miniscule. a generation of sikhs in the immediate post partition era were very proficient in urdu but no more.

i really hope that urdu is revitalized in india, it is a dying language and it is cringeworthy that people butcher simple words like phir, zaheer , khayal or ghazal.

interestingly bollywood is probably the most important factor in urdu still being relevent in india, but the urdu that is used in the movies and songs is nowhere as complex as used in poetry by Faiz or Iqbal.

on topic , while i like jana gana man, would have preferred saare jahan se accha hindostan hamara

Last edited:
japan is the worst ever, it is so eerie, like someone has died... man it is just wierd....

[utube]Rkgo5uvMFR8[/utube]

Dare I say the Nazi Germany anthem was quite good. And no I am not a Nazi !

Apart from the Pakistan Anthem, the Russian/Soviet Anthem is AWESOME!

[UTUBE]kMZfXN1UOpw[/UTUBE]

Apart from india, i liked germany's national anthem. Always used to hear those after michael schumaker won in f1 gp....

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SuLWRAq-Kuk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-zrVu42YD2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NTXIUNEtw8Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not a Communist,but Lenin was a political genius.A truly remarkable mind who changed the course of history.

Years ago when the UK had only three channels and tv shut down soon after midnight, the BBC used to close for the night, with the national anthem playing, no pictures, just a globe spinning around.

In 1999 I was in Pakistan, PTV was about to shut down for the night, the national anthem played out, paak sar zameen shaadbad, and pictures appeared showing the nuclear missile flying through the air. There is no hope for Pakistan.

Pakistan is my favorite but I also really love the national anthem of Iraq Mawtini which means home land very nice anthem

Rallyyyyyyyyyyy...... Rally round the westindies.... now and forever......

(not a national anthem though)

Pakistan is my favorite but I also really love the national anthem of Iraq Mawtini which means home land very nice anthem

I posted a while ago about this, I would say these are my 5 favorite national anthems, or top 5 rather.

1) Pakistan- come on I am Pakistani, it has to be number 1 :)

2) Iraq- Very beautiful anthem, especially if your understand or read the lyrics.

3) Russia- I mean sends goosebumps just listening to it.

4) Canada- Being a Canadian, their is just something special about hearing O Canada

5) Zimbabwe- Another great anthem, and lyrics are beautiful as well.

In the 70s/80s when the military and mullahs jumped into bed and produced the *******ised version religious nationalism they tried to remove Persian words from spoken Urdu. For example Khuda Hafiz became Allah Hafiz and even today I have been told not to use Khuda Hafiz (but I intentionally do). But what they could not change was that Khuda was used in the national anthem.

Back