New Controversial Tax Bill in India

Romali_rotti

Senior T20I Player
Runs
Budget 2023: Understanding 20% TCS on foreign remittance transactions

Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman raised the Tax Collection at Source (TCS) rate for foreign remittances under the Liberalised Remittance Scheme (LRS) from 5 per cent to 20 per cent. They will now be required to pay a higher tax. This will apply to overseas tour packages and other remittances except for education and medical purposes.
TCS on remittances made under the LRS was introduced in 2020. The purpose was to monitor the remittances made and to correlate these with the income tax returns of the persons who made the remittances. Presently, different rates of TCS apply depending on the nature of the transaction.

There was also an annual limit of Rs 7 lakh on remittances which has now been removed. TCS is not a tax by itself, and credit for the amount of TCS paid on any transaction is available to the person who has paid the amount of TCS to adjust against their tax liability for the year.
According to Maneet Pal Singh, Partner, IP Pasricha and Co, the LRS includes not only payments made abroad for gifts, education or medical purposes but also the expenditure through any mode of payment like debit card, credit card and travel card.

However, the TCS will be adjusted against the tax on income while filing the income tax return.
The changes will be applicable from July 1 if the Parliament passes the bill.

How will this work?
For example, a person's total remittance is Rs 10,000. A TCS of Rs 2,000 will apply to the amount.

Now, if their tax on income is Rs 3,000, they will be asked to pay only Rs 1,000, and the rest will be adjusted.
But if the tax on income is Rs 1,000, the taxpayer will receive a refund of Rs 1,000 as a part of the income tax return.

"Under the LRS scheme where individuals have the freedom to remit upto $250,000 per year without generally seeking permission from the RBI, the increase in rates means that individuals utilising LRS will see 20 per cent of their remittances withheld and deposited under their name with the tax authorities," said Pallav Pradyumn Narang, partner at CNK and Associates.
Before this proposal, a tax of 5 per cent was levied on the remittances.

What do the experts say?
According to Sanjeev Sachdeva, partner at Luthra and Luthra Law Offices India, it seems that the analysis of the Centre has been that high net individuals (HNIs) are using the LRS scheme to transfer large amounts outside India, but their income tax payments and compliances have not been commensurate.

"The proposal is intended to ensure that such persons have discharged their IT liabilities suitably," he said.
Narang also said that it could lead to a blockage of cash flow.

"This proposed TCS increase not only blocks the remitter's cash but also appears penal in nature, making it a cause for concern for citizens sending money abroad," said Ankit Jain, partner at Ved Jain and Associates.

https://www.business-standard.com/b...n-remittance-transactions-123020200940_1.html

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

If this bill is passed by 1st of July, this is pathetic by the Indian government.

The burden it will place on parents for sending their kids to study overseas will be insane, an extra 20% tax you need to fork out upfront for an amount you send overseas.

How will this affect foreign businesses investing in India ? If Elon Musk decided to make Tesla's in India, then he has to pay 20% tax upfront after paying all the other normal taxes for taking his profits overseas ? He will say, thanks but NO THANKS. You can claim the money back but god knows how long it will take once the Indian government has your money.

This is so disappointing, seems like the main reason this was made was to stop Indian kids from studying overseas, why would the government do that ? it is an over populated country and wouldn't it be better to have students going overboard to take the stress of the educational system in India ?

Pathetic to say the least.....

Last edited:
BJP government is neglecting the tax paying citizens of India for long time. They just want to squeeze everyone now at all cost. This will eventually come back to bite them.

If they want to stop brain drain. I would say focus should be promoting entrepreneurship and research

BTW the returns are processed very quickly. I got few returns couple of years back. I think got it in 90 days.

BTW the returns are processed very quickly. I got few returns couple of years back. I think got it in 90 days.

The issue is the average parent would not have an extra 20% to fork out when they have to send money overseas to their kids.

Also what kind of message is this to foreign investors ? or will foreign investors get exempted from this and this would only or mainly affect the avg Indian citizens ?

The tax returns maybe quick but you still have to pay 20% every time you want to send money overseas, which is Ludacris..

Last edited:
For a moment i thought money coming into India was going to be taxed that would had been worse.

But yeah 20% is absolute joke, they are just trying to destroy overseas education market of Indians.
[MENTION=152021]Rajdeep[/MENTION] your fav at it again.

I am not sure, but FDI under Make In India may have different set if exemptions. I couldn't find any proper details on it.

But any tax paid will be adjusted against your income tax.

Also education and medical are exempted.

Whats the issue?

But any tax paid will be adjusted against your income tax.

Also education and medical are exempted.

Whats the issue?

Please pay all these new taxes by your master since 2014 on our behalf too, cheers.

What was especially cowardly was the backdoor route in which they removed the indexation benefit on debt funds just a few days ago. It was never announced in the budget, but boom - something had to be done to shore up the crook that is Adani.

I'm enjoying this :)))

I hope every bhakt ends up on the streets thanks to all of Modi and 200IQ Nirmalaji's policies. I wonder if they will still change their views then.

That's how much I loathe Modi and his followers :apology

I hope every bhakt ends up on the streets thanks to all of Modi and 200IQ Nirmalaji's policies. I wonder if they will still change their views then.

During the first lockdown, you had blue collar labour walking home to UP/Bihar from places like Mumbai claiming they will still vote for Modi despite the heat and grime and no promise of a future in those circumstances.

The Modi followers on this thread and other threads are merely white collar versions of the same.

During the first lockdown, you had blue collar labour walking home to UP/Bihar from places like Mumbai claiming they will still vote for Modi despite the heat and grime and no promise of a future in those circumstances.

The Modi followers on this thread and other threads are merely white collar versions of the same.
Indeed. All these gullible minions deserve every bit of misery that comes their way.

You hate Modi and BJP, fine. But why hate their followers? They have the right to like or dislike any political party they desire. Just like no one can force you to stop hating on BJP, you cannot force them to not like BJP.

You hate Modi and BJP, fine. But why hate their followers? They have the right to like or dislike any political party they desire. Just like no one can force you to stop hating on BJP, you cannot force them to not like BJP.

Because they show no mercy to anyone who opposes Modi. They are mostly cruel, hard-hearted and are ready to hit low-blows. There is zero decency from them.

It's time to talk their language.

I've mentioned this before. Friend of mine had a good startup sort of thing and it collapsed under Modi's policies and favoritism to Jio/Reliance. He is one of the biggest bhakts I've encountered.

Since he is a friend, the time we hang out together is mostly civil, with arguments that rarely get heated. But despite showing him all the possible proof on different things - for example he wasn't aware of the chopper being shot down under friendly-fire. None of those things have mattered.

He is back being a regular techie in the city, but continues to swear by Modi :apology

This is completely idiotic.

What if I remit money from my European account to my Indian bank account? Would that be taxed as well?

That is the thing and everything that is wrong with these guys. They would preach about liberalism, democracy and constitution as long as it is convinient but moment it goes against them they would start abusing the same institutions. They would advocate for free speech but will be the first one to criticize if the same speech is against them. I mean democracy allow people to vote for any party they want. But they would call the same voters all sorts of name, wish they end up in streets if they vote for a party they don't support. If this is secularism, then I am Don Bradman. Thats why they are known as pseudo secular's, opportunists and hypocrites and why no one takes these guys seriously anymore.

This is completely idiotic.

What if I remit money from my European account to my Indian bank account? Would that be taxed as well?

The 20 percent will only apply if you are sending money from India to overseas.

This is really confusing, I read another article which says anyone sending money from India would be charged a 20% tax fee regardless of the purpose....

The 20 percent will only apply if you are sending money from India to overseas.

This is really confusing, I read another article which says anyone sending money from India would be charged a 20% tax fee regardless of the purpose....

Think its a move to curb the black money to stop crooks like Mallya send tax payers monies to tax free heaven countries. But I agree it may affect also genuine people who want to send money overseas for family maintenance.

Think its a move to curb the black money to stop crooks like Mallya send tax payers monies to tax free heaven countries. But I agree it may affect also genuine people who want to send money overseas for family maintenance.

Wouldnt this rule pretty much make foreign investors stay far far away from India... They have to pay the regular Indian taxes and if they want to take their money after tax to overseas they need to fork out another 20 %. Sure they can file a tax return for that 20% but once they get their money back and want to send that tax return amount, they have to again fork out another 20%.. :))) and the 20% goes on and on and on... :))

Have to criticize Modichayan here, this is terrible.

P.S> I would still not vote for Congress, the fraudulent activities that was happening during Congress reign was shocking.... But this new rule by the government is buffoonery

Last edited:
5% to 20% is a huge rise. Has Modi's maths failed him again? Why such an increase?

All this talk and bravado on how Indians love to pay tax and are proud of it is just that, a myth.

A 20% tax in an economy which claims to have a middle class drowning in cash shouldn't have a problem with 20%, especially when said taxes are spent on much needed development in India, but we all know the truth, give them a choice between paying taxes or not, and most will fall in the later group.

Wouldnt this rule pretty much make foreign investors stay far far away from India... They have to pay the regular Indian taxes and if they want to take their money after tax to overseas they need to fork out another 20 %. Sure they can file a tax return for that 20% but once they get their money back and want to send that tax return amount, they have to again fork out another 20%.. :))) and the 20% goes on and on and on... :))

P.S> I would still not vote for Congress, the fraudulent activities that was happening during Congress reign was shocking.... But this new rule by the government is buffoonery

However, the TCS will be adjusted against the tax on income while filing the income tax return.

How will this work?
For example, a person's total remittance is Rs 10,000. A TCS of Rs 2,000 will apply to the amount.

Now, if their tax on income is Rs 3,000, they will be asked to pay only Rs 1,000, and the rest will be adjusted.
But if the tax on income is Rs 1,000, the taxpayer will receive a refund of Rs 1,000 as a part of the income tax return.

You need to read aliya.

How will this work?

You need to read aliya.

Aliya, that is not the point.

Businesses, individuals etc would already be taxed for their yearly income, this new 20% will apply on top of all taxes paid already, if they want to take the money overseas from India.

This is a double dip, madness.

Aliya, that is not the point.

Businesses, individuals etc would already be taxed for their yearly income, this new 20% will apply on top of all taxes paid already, if they want to take the money overseas from India.

This is a double dip, madness.

The tax will be adjusted to your yearly tax.

If i paid 5000 as TCS then my income tax liability will be X-5000.

Ouch. Trust me you will start criticising him more once you start living in India. It is easier to sit abroad and praise feku because you are not directly affected. Not sure who made Nirmala chachi our finance minister. Dumbest finance minister ever. She knows nothing about cryptocurrencies also. :91: :inti

The tax will be adjusted to your yearly tax.

If i paid 5000 as TCS then my income tax liability will be X-5000.

I cant agree with this Aliya, sorry.

This is Ludacris imo, they are penalizing you 20% if you want to take money overseas, whether you get it back after placing a tax return is not the issue, but you shouldn't have to pay a 20% tax just because you are sending money overseas from India.

Post proper opinions.

We don't have to babysit people if they are interested in personal insults.

I cant agree with this Aliya, sorry.

This is Ludacris imo, they are penalizing you 20% if you want to take money overseas, whether you get it back after placing a tax return is not the issue, but you shouldn't have to pay a 20% tax just because you are sending money overseas from India.

Where is the penalty when my annual tax liability remains the same.

Where is the penalty when my annual tax liability remains the same.

That's not the point.

How if a parent wants to send money, a set amount to their kid overseas, he may not have an extra 20% of that amount he wants/need to send upfront....

The whole point of having to pay an upfront extra 20% of the amount you are sending overseas is just ridiculous. I am really keen to see if this will apply to the big shots like apple and other foreign business that are investing in India, if it does that will be the end of make in India....

Chances are this will only apply to the avg Indian citizens, the big shots will get away.....

That's not the point.

How if a parent wants to send money, a set amount to their kid overseas, he may not have an extra 20% of that amount he wants/need to send upfront....

The whole point of having to pay an upfront extra 20% of the amount you are sending overseas is just ridiculous. I am really keen to see if this will apply to the big shots like apple and other foreign business that are investing in India, if it does that will be the end of make in India....

Chances are this will only apply to the avg Indian citizens, the big shots will get away.....

Sending money to kids for education or Medical is not under TCS.

Are you reading the article Aliya?

This applies on LRS. So it applies on individuals and not corporates.

The reason this was done is

What do the experts say?
According to Sanjeev Sachdeva, partner at Luthra and Luthra Law Offices India, it seems that the analysis of the Centre has been that high net individuals (HNIs) are using the LRS scheme to transfer large amounts outside India, but their income tax payments and compliances have not been commensurate.

Sending money to kids for education or Medical is not under TCS.

Are you reading the article Aliya?

This applies on LRS. So it applies on individuals and not corporates.

The reason this was done is

What do the experts say?

It's still wrong even if it is not for educational or medical purposes.

Back