"Next time I won't give players permission to play in foreign leagues during domestic season" : Inzi

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
"Next time I won't give players permission to play in foreign leagues during domestic season" : Inzi

Inzamam-ul-Haq speaking on TV:

"No doubt that Pakistan has played badly in the first Test vs NZ, we should have done better."

"The main reason for that is that we are not regularly touring overseas. We are playing mostly in UAE and not arranging A tours. So it will always remain difficult for us."

"You don't find fast wickets in Asia like you do in Australia. Our strong point is playing in Asia. But we want to be the best team. We need to improve our first class system and arrange regular U19, A tours. Once we do that, we'll start performing better on green wickets etc."

"We need to be temperamentally strong. After a loss, we shouldn't rush into too many changes. We need to be patient and give our players confidence."

"It's not my place to tell anyone to retire (Shahid Afridi). If anyone shows good performances and the team needs them, they can be selected."

"Some players often have good performances but they don't get a chance because others are already performing. There isn't any space to include them in the team."

"There are a lot of players like Fawad Alam, Khurram Manzoor, Mohammad Abbas and Tabish Khan who have performed at domestic level for a long time. It is perfectly valid to ask about them. The thing is that we used to try out such players in side matches against strong teams to test them out. Nowadays there isn't much time for many of these matches. We gave a chance to Fawad and Khurram, however, in the side match against WI."

"Anyway, what we (selectors) have decided is: When the QeA season finishes, the 14-15 top performers will be called to a camp at the academy and we will train them and see if there is anything that is lacking such as fitness and we will work on that to ready them for international cricket. We get the feeling that we might need a couple of batsmen and bowlers in the team in the distant future."

"I did punish Umar Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad for discipline issues. That is now over. The leagues that they are playing in, that is with my permission. If I wanted, I wouldn't allow them. There is no punishment now."

"It is a valid concern as to why players are playing in leagues when our domestic tournament (QeA) is going on. I have spoken to the PCB and next time I will not give players permission to play in foreign leagues during domestic season."

"Our best 15 players are in NZ. The next best ones are playing in foreign leagues. So the best 30 players are missing from FC cricket. Someone like Ahmed Shehzad who wants to make a comeback - well, I can't pick him for his performance in Bangladesh. I will look at his performance in our FC cricket."

"Another thing I have changed is that in the contracts, the rule was that any former captain, regardless of performance, will get an A contract. This won't happen."

"I learnt a lot from Javed Miandad. He practised mainly according to how he would score in real match conditions. So I would bat at #4 and often slip fielders move out after a little while - so I practised the late cut a lot."

"Favourite players - Asad Shafiq is a very good player. He hasn't done justice to his talent. Hasan Ali has a lot of potential. There is a lot of talent in Pakistan but it needs to be organised."

"In our days there was no concept of a dietitian but now players are careful and they take care of themselves and what they eat."

"Kohli, de Villiers and Amla are amongst the players I enjoy watching nowadays."

"Amir is a fantastic bowler. But it's true that he hasn't been able to perform to our expectations yet. He can perform better than he has been doing. But to return to cricket after 5 years is a big thing. He needs to play for another 6-8 months."

"I started off as a left-arm bowler. People don't know that I took 27 wickets in a domestic cricket in a season too. But then ICC eliminated chucking... so I focused on my batting."

"Hafeez is an experienced player. If we look at the past few years, he has been amongst the top run-scorers. But the question about him struggling with the moving ball is fair and this goes back to the lack of practice for our players in foreign conditions. They don't play in overseas conditions enough."

"I have no interest in politics at all."

"Talking as a player, I look at our openers in the previous Test. One played 175 balls and made 30 runs. Another score 13 from 113 balls. This makes around 47 overs - in that many overs I think we should play a bit positively. The time to score at 2 runs per over has gone."

"Sharjeel is a player with talent and good technique. Before I came, he was playing T20s. I brought him into ODIs also. People only see what is on TV. In the recent 4-day matches, he was averaging 80 and he has performed in previous seasons too. Such players who are aggressive and can attack bowlers are needed. I would be very confortable while batting with Saeed Anwar, he would make it easy for me with his aggression."

"The best ever batsmen in my view are Viv Richards and Brian Lara, I enjoyed watching them bat."

"In the Pakistan team, I really enjoyed Saeed Anwar and Mohammad Yousuf's batting."

"The toughest bowlers of my time were in our own nets. Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis. One of the reasons behind our batting being good at the time was that the 2 Ws were in the nets so we would find other fast-bowlers easy to play."

"In 93, there was a Test match in Karachi. I had a world record last wicket partnership in a win with Mushtaq Ahmed. He made 20-odd so he hit a couple of fours - I went up to him and asked him 'are you the main batsman or am I?'"

"Wasim bhai often talks about the run-out (against Australia). We had decided to take a single and get him on strike. The ball was a yorker and it hit me on my foot and I fell down but he ran anyway. So I asked him whether he blindfolded himself after we decided to take a run?! If I fell down then it wasn't still wise to go for the run."

"PCB is making a lot of effort to bring cricket back to Pakistan. Bringing PSL final to Lahore is a major first step for that. The board is also trying other things to bring the cricket back."

"We are trying our best to polish talent in rural Balochistan and Sindh. We recently had a team that did trials in Balochistan and another team also conducted trials in FATA. They have found very good players with a lot of talent there. For example, we had decided to bring one leg-spinner from the trials to work with our coaches and ended up getting seven!"

"Junaid Khan was a very good bowler. But after that, he has underwent a knee operation. I don't think that his career is finished but he needs time to recover from that. He needs to perform in domestic cricket. He is a very good bowler and hopefully he can get back to having the same rhythm he used to have."

"Regarding Imam-ul-Haq, I will not do injustice with him by not selecting him simply because he is my brother's son. Nor will I give him a favour. If I feel his performances are good and that there is room for him in an A side, for example, I will give him a chance."

"Younis and Misbah are great players but they are close to their retirements. Azhar Ali is the vice-captain since a long time so it's better that he is the captain. I don't think it would be right to make Younis captain ahead of him but he will still be there to provide advice and support for Azhar."

"We have a habit of making hasty decisions. We knew we will face difficulties in NZ and Australia but I don't intend to suddenly change players overnight. I told the players to play with confidence."

Last edited:
Yes Inzi put your foot down. How are we going to expect the likes of Umar Akmal to improve their temperament if they're going to miss FC games and run off to play T20 leagues?

Be hilarious if the BCCI lifted the ban on Pakistani players in the IPL only for Pakistan to then block Pakistani players from going :))

Will lobby against this. Pak domestic cricket is crap, our players will learn and earn more playing in these foreign leagues.

Some more quotes from Inzi:

Q: Will more youngsters be given a run across all formats in the coming months?

A: After the twin tours we’ll blood-in more youngsters and if you look at our recent history, we’re trying to induct youngsters. Some of our decisions have clicked and the players have done well while at the same time some decisions have backfired as well but this is how you build a team and develop a long lasting combination. In the longer run, people would eventually see an improved combination.

Q: Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq were being tipped as the successors for Misbah and Younis but both have not been given a run at three and four of late. What’s the idea behind this?

A: Azhar and Asad are definitely the players who would take over from Misbah and Younis in the middle-order while we feel that Babar Azam is also another option. I won’t say that Azhar is a makeshift opener anymore because he has been playing there for quite a long and has given good performances with runs in England and then a triple-hundred against West Indies. There have been players in past who were middle-order batsmen but went onto become successful openers. As far as Asad is concerned, he’ll get his extended run at three because he has got lot of time in his career. He was doing well at six which is why he has been moved back. Babar did well in ODIs against West Indies and the management felt he could do well in Tests as well at three.

Q: If Azhar is the answer as an opener then can Ahmed Shahzad and Mohammad Hafeez still make a comeback?

A: We’ve kept the doors open for everyone to stage a comeback but for that we need to see a few things. One is that their performances have got to be worth of being considered while the second will be, whether they fit in the requirement of the team.

http://sport360.com/article/cricket...rements-not-on-pakistan-chief-selectors-mind/

For once can he just mention his views on Asif... I just look for his name in all these interviews :(

that sounds like the door of opportunity closing on shehzad, and not a moment too soon.

not much in all of that that i can disagree with.

Some great quotes in there.

"I started off as a left-arm bowler. People don't know that I took 27 wickets in a domestic cricket in a season too. But then ICC eliminated chucking... so I focused on my batting."

:)) Typical Inzy dry humour.

Inzi (Clive) Lloyd there. But another great initiative by Inzi. This will help players like U. Akmal, Junaid Khan, who still can be a part of the national team, to prove their worth in the most difficult format of domestic cricket. Even Imad missed out as he could have replaced Nawaz had he hit a few centuries alongside a few wickets.

There should be free will but choosing to play a T20 league over a national domestic tourney should have consequences.

Inzi (Clive) Lloyd there. But another great initiative by Inzi. This will help players like U. Akmal, Junaid Khan, who still can be a part of the national team, to prove their worth in the most difficult format of domestic cricket. Even Imad missed out as he could have replaced Nawaz had he hit a few centuries alongside a few wickets.

There should be free will but choosing to play a T20 league over a national domestic tourney should have consequences.

It has consequences anyway. If they don't play FC cricket, they don't have any FC performances to stake a claim for a Test spot - assuming that they want to play Test cricket, of course. Inzi made that quite clear, pointing out the example of Shehzad.

But can the pcb offer thousands of dollars for playing domestic cricket?

Also, it is a chance to learn from these leagues is well.

It has consequences anyway. If they don't play FC cricket, they don't have any FC performances to stake a claim for a Test spot - assuming that they want to play Test cricket, of course. Inzi made that quite clear, pointing out the example of Shehzad.

There have been times that our selectors or media in general have been very impressed with some performances in the big money leagues. But yea that probably doesn't count for test match selection as you mentioned.

Even our Pentangular ODI tournaments are much better than these Bangla, Lanka, Afghan leagues. Players who have been close to national selection or have been a part in recent times should not play anywhere else when these are on.

If you don't want players playing in T20 leagues, be prepared to pay them as much. No one plays the game for charity.

"But then ICC eliminated chucking... so I focused on my batting"

:)))

Classic Inzi.

If you don't want players playing in T20 leagues, be prepared to pay them as much. No one plays the game for charity.

If they want to play for their country, they should be willing to take a pay cut.

Inzamam has done a fantastic job as selector. Can't believe some people here were against his appointment. Sad.

Does (or should) the chief selector have that kind of power? Is he exceeding his authority? Does the chief selector in Pak have more powers than other countries? Or is it because it is Inzi they have given him a more free run?

Very good thinking and I support it. Hope these words would remain safe when Pak players given chance to play IPL.

Inzamam talks sense.

Where was he all these years post his retirement? Should have been involved in the setup much earlier, especially as Pakistan were floundering and twisting in the wind circa 2007-2011.

Does (or should) the chief selector have that kind of power? Is he exceeding his authority? Does the chief selector in Pak have more powers than other countries? Or is it because it is Inzi they have given him a more free run?

Inzi does seem to have quite a lot of say for a Chief Selector. I find it a little surprising, but I'm not complaining. Largely agree with most of what he has said.

Inzi does seem to have quite a lot of say for a Chief Selector. I find it a little surprising, but I'm not complaining. Largely agree with most of what he has said.

That is because the actual people who are entitled to make these decisions (Sharyar and Sethi) are of non-cricketing background and do not have the requisite nous to make such decisions. They have been appointed because of 'other' reasons.

That is because the actual people who are entitled to make these decisions (Sharyar and Sethi) are of non-cricketing background and do not have the requisite nous to make such decisions. They have been appointed because of 'other' reasons.

That's true but he isn't the first Chief Selector under this regime. Previous ones were rarely in the media, in comparison to Inzi at least.

But can the pcb offer thousands of dollars for playing domestic cricket?

Also, it is a chance to learn from these leagues is well.

As per details, a player in Quaid-e-Azam Trophy would get additional Rs200 as daily allowance along with Rs 15000 match fee. A national team player would get half of Test match fee if he plays in a four-day match. The central-contracted players would also get match fee in accordance with international match fee for one-day and domestic Twenty20 events. The new system has enabled the international cricketers to earn at least half of the money in the domestic circuit they earn while representing Pakistan at international level.
http://nation.com.pk/sports/20-Aug-2016/pcb-gives-domestic-circuit-huge-financial-boost

Last edited:
Inzi bhai talking sense as usual. Great to see him involved and I concur with what he has said. I do feel that we need to be a little brave with some youngsters however. Instead of letting them languish in FC for years why not let them sink or swim in an International game or two occasionally?

I like the fact he has given Sami a chance, and stuck with Imad,nawaz and rahat ali. Would like him to put Fawad in the squad though but I understand his constraints vis a vis lack of cricket for the nation.

I seriously wouldn't allow players to go play T20s away from Pakistan when the Domestic matches are on.

The selectors and those in charge of the PCB have to prioritise Pakistan Cricket and that should come first.

Good overall comments from Inzi, but it's all about following through on most of what he says, if not all.

Sad that Fawad discarded after just that chance. Still think he deserved more A tours. I guess he probably isnt' what he was in the past maybe? Perhaps, he peaked some years ago when he would deliver whenever given an opportunity but PCB ignored him. Hopefully he can regain his form.

A national team player would get half of Test match fee if he plays in a four-day match.

http://nation.com.pk/sports/20-Aug-2016/pcb-gives-domestic-circuit-huge-financial-boost

Okay, let's break it down and do the comparison.

BPL pays between $70k-$30k for A, B, C and D category players.

A Test match fee is Rs 400,000 (from what I've found) and that is around $4k.

If a player were to be paid half, then that would $2k per match.

Initial stages, a player would earn $14k for the 7 matches played and if they qualify for the super eights, then that would go up to $20k because you play a further 3 matches and depending on team outcome, would rise if your team qualified for the semi's and final (don't know if the salary rises for semi's and final or still at $2k).

So, you will get paid between $14k-$24k in domestic cricket and that is not bad, but it is still behind the BPL pay and that is why the jump is being made.

Good to see that he really does know about talent in the country, selectors in the past seemed not to...

If the chief selector does not necessarily have the jurisdiction to restrict players from playing in foreign leagues, then he can advise the cricket board who after considering the suggestion implement the notion.

Okay, let's break it down and do the comparison.

BPL pays between $70k-$30k for A, B, C and D category players.

A Test match fee is Rs 400,000 (from what I've found) and that is around $4k.

If a player were to be paid half, then that would $2k per match.

Initial stages, a player would earn $14k for the 7 matches played and if they qualify for the super eights, then that would go up to $20k because you play a further 3 matches and depending on team outcome, would rise if your team qualified for the semi's and final (don't know if the salary rises for semi's and final or still at $2k).

So, you will get paid between $14k-$24k in domestic cricket and that is not bad, but it is still behind the BPL pay and that is why the jump is being made.

for players like Shehzad, umar akmal(test format) it was win win situation they should

have prefer domestic over bpl if they want to be consider for test format and odis

Does Inzi take a pay cut for being the national selection committee chief?

Compared to what he can earn coaching/mentoring in the IPL or being in the management of England or Australia, I think he doesn't earn as much as he can.

Does Inzi take a pay cut for being the national selection committee chief?

Well.....as far as my knowledge of his personality goes I guess Inzi would be the last person to run after money and no I am not talking about his religious beliefs or the implications of such on his character.

He himself is a very humble and down to earth Human Being.

Ridiculous that whilst QEA Trophy is ongoing, some players have gone to the BPL.

Really needs addressing in future.

Lol Inzi took a paycut when he got the job. Earning less than he was when he was coach of Afghanistan

Inzi might have taken a Pay cut, for a job which is several times prestigious & powerful than his previous job - who cares who is AFG Coach? CS in any established Cricket country was the most important 2 Cricket positions, before the Modern structure (with a Head Coach) came in. In Soccer or Basketball Head Coach & Chief Selector is the same guy - in Cricket, previously it was Captain & CS.

I think, it has to be more constructive. First, players need to be compensated for that - may not be at 100%, but mutually accepted amount. But, at the same time, it's not wise to block/compensate every player that gets a T20 contract elsewhere. This is where, I think there should be a player pool of specialization - so that players can be selectively given NoC. It can be beneficiary for players like Malik, Tannu, Umar or Latif to play T20 leagues while players like Amir, Yasir needs to be protected; and for players like Ahmed or Afridi - who cares.

But, before opening mouth, Inzi should have thought of the past - what he himself did. Just after retirement, at the expense of Shubhas Chandra & ZEE Cricket, he took almost entire PAK team to ICL, despite knowing that, playing for a league not recognized by ICC/BCCI might have ended their PAK career.

Inzi might have taken a Pay cut, for a job which is several times prestigious & powerful than his previous job - who cares who is AFG Coach? CS in any established Cricket country was the most important 2 Cricket positions, before the Modern structure (with a Head Coach) came in. In Soccer or Basketball Head Coach & Chief Selector is the same guy - in Cricket, previously it was Captain & CS.

I think, it has to be more constructive. First, players need to be compensated for that - may not be at 100%, but mutually accepted amount. But, at the same time, it's not wise to block/compensate every player that gets a T20 contract elsewhere. This is where, I think there should be a player pool of specialization - so that players can be selectively given NoC. It can be beneficiary for players like Malik, Tannu, Umar or Latif to play T20 leagues while players like Amir, Yasir needs to be protected; and for players like Ahmed or Afridi - who cares.

But, before opening mouth, Inzi should have thought of the past - what he himself did. Just after retirement, at the expense of Shubhas Chandra & ZEE Cricket, he took almost entire PAK team to ICL, despite knowing that, playing for a league not recognized by ICC/BCCI might have ended their PAK career.

The prestige of being AFG coach is irrelevant, he could have stuck with that and not got involved with the drama of the pcb but he didn't. He is spending a lot of time watching domestic cricket,something which he hasn't done before. He has had coaching stints with Pakistan before so he's left a role which he was progressing in for an unfamiliar role. It might have perks but which job doesn't? With AFG Coach I bet there cricket board treated him like royalty with good pay and other perks.

I agree with your last 2 paragraphs. I think the key test and odi players should definitely be protected. Pcb and psl pays them well anyway, so unless they get a big bash offer I don't mind if they opt out of these t20 leagues for rest.

Back