Nottingham Forest | 2022/23 Season

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Nice to see them get promoted.

I've always liked Forest, always thought they played some good football.

Last edited by a moderator:
jammy dodgers ;-)

we even have a congrats to forrest on one of the hardcore leeds sites

I thought they hated being called Notts Forest (something to do with Notts County)

Anywys congrats! Great to see them up. hopefully Leeds can return as well (I assume there is still a playoff to play for TAK?)

Follwed this on Sky Sports - nervy fisnish with the Doncaster result in the balance until late.

Love Lower league football!

Good to see Forest back.

I'm sure Augustus will be a happy man today.

They've had some great players over the years - Martin O'Neill of course, Viv Anderson, Stuart Pearce, Stan Collymore, Bryan Roy, Nigel Clough to name but a few.

One of the most nervous days of my life and I'm absolutely chuffed! The last post I made about Forest (on here) was slagging off the manager and laying into the club big-time, so I suppose I'm not really deserving in retrospect. Still, I've gone out and supported the team in every home match this season and over half a dozen away matches, and I give criticism where it's due. Today's performance, today's atmosphere, today's promotion made it all worthwhile. The lads got stuck in, and though it wasn't pretty they made it theirs. I was a little bit gutted for a moment that my season ticket's in the Upper Trent End, meaning I had to watch the pitch invasion, etc., from afar, but just being there was enough in the end.

A fantastic day and I'll even forgive Saj his "Notts" faux pas on this day.

Augustus said:
One of the most nervous days of my life and I'm absolutely chuffed! The last post I made about Forest (on here) was slagging off the manager and laying into the club big-time, so I suppose I'm not really deserving in retrospect. Still, I've gone out and supported the team in every home match this season and over half a dozen away matches, and I give criticism where it's due. Today's performance, today's atmosphere, today's promotion made it all worthwhile. The lads got stuck in, and though it wasn't pretty they made it theirs. I was a little bit gutted for a moment that my season ticket's in the Upper Trent End, meaning I had to watch the pitch invasion, etc., from afar, but just being there was enough in the end.

Well done Augustus - not easy following a team in the lower leagues. Look forward to entertaining you guys at NP next season....who knows, as FA Cup winners :O :O :O

haha. I was just showing my age by calling them Notts :)

Really glad that Carlisle didnt go up and hope they dont make it through the playoffs either. Hated them ever since their fans threw things at Darlo's directors a few years back while the Carlisle stewards and police just looked on.

Last edited:
Saj said:
haha. I was just showing my age by calling them Notts :)

Really glad that Carlisle didnt go up and hope they dont make it through the playoffs either. Hated them ever since their fans through things at Darlo's directors a few years back while the Carlisle stewards and police just looked on.

i think we play carlisle in the play off

i can actually remember them playing in the top flight :22:

more great forrest players trevor francis, john robertson, kenny burns, larry lloyd, tony woodcock

Thats great news - a great football club is Nottingham Forest and the premiership should have sides like them instead of rubbish like Boro and Wigan whose fans cudnt give a damn

Also my first footballing idol was a Forest player, I was a huge Stan Collymore fan when he was at Forest and whenever we played football i used to be Collymore whilst all the other kids used to fight over who can be Andy Cole

Geordie Ahmed said:
Thats great news - a great football club is Nottingham Forest and the premiership should have sides like them instead of rubbish like Boro and Wigan whose fans cudnt give a damn

Also my first footballing idol was a Forest player, I was a huge Stan Collymore fan when he was at Forest and whenever we played football i used to be Collymore whilst all the other kids used to fight over who can be Andy Cole

Stan Collymore could have been a world great if only he had a brain .It always made me laugh when he thought he was signing for ManU instead at the last minute they bought Cole it was downhill for him then at Forest the fans hated him and he stopped bothering

Stan was an absolute genius. He'd pick the ball up in the centre circle and you'd think "he's going to score from here." He ripped Man Utd to shreds in our first season back in the Premiership (he scored in a 1-1 draw at The City Ground and a 2-1 win at Old Trafford), scoring two brilliant goals. We were fantastic that season with Bryan Roy and Stan Collymore up-front. It all fell apart when Stan went to Liverpool, both for us and him. Ultimately, he didn't have the gear upstairs to mould his talent, to conform to reality. He could have been an all-time great but he had too much baggage to make it so.

We ended up with Andrea Silenzi and he ended up with nothing. I suppose they're one and the same, and each is as much of a tragedy as the other. Still, here's hoping that next season will be a good one. For my three years as a season ticket holder in League One, I'd like to see a decent, top half finish in the Championship. Calderwood has the £££ to spend, so who knows what could happen? We might even be up there if we can keep Commons, McGugan, Cohen et al. McGugan's going to be a big player in his 2nd full season.

dont like forest.. i was chuffed when they went down.. a lot has to do with that drunkard clough..

Stan was an absolute genius. He'd pick the ball up in the centre circle and you'd think "he's going to score from here."
He is an excellent pundit too on the radio. One of the very few who is not biased, talks sense and has a sound knowledge of the technical aspects of the game.

Collymore

What an amazing talent - devestated it didnt quite work out at Anfield. Thought he was going to be a legend!

Top pundit - knows his stuff. One of the very few ex-players who doesnt suck up to todays players and defend them blindly.

Has a weekly slot on 5Live that I try to catch.

Has a weekly slot on 5Live that I try to catch.
Oxy when is that? I've only heard him on live commentary and he's fantastic.

Saj said:
Oxy when is that? I've only heard him on live commentary and he's fantastic.
Cant remember - but I carry my DAB with me everywhere so I'm virtually plugged in all day/evening.

Will let you know....

Did anyone see the 2nd goal by Garner in their 2-0 win yesterday, wow what a chip, a 35 yarder. Maybe there is hope yet for them to avoid relegation.

On_the_up said:
Did anyone see the 2nd goal by Garner in their 2-0 win yesterday, wow what a chip, a 35 yarder. Maybe there is hope yet for them to avoid relegation.
Yes saw it on the Championship today - it was almost Beckhamesque wasnt it. First goal wasnt bad either - a bullet header. Wouldnt mind Forest staying up, but its going to be a long hard season for them.

Yes it will be a good effort to stay up but they have been showing better form of late, lots of draws mainly. They play the botom club Doncaster at home on Boxing day, so it's a huge game for them.

Double European champions - Arsenal and Chelsea can only dream

Last edited:
We've been playing well all season, just too fragile in key positions to really push on and get a run of wins. A lot of draws recently, unbeaten in six away games and playing some good stuff, but only Joe Garner's really putting the chances away. Earnshaw's unfit and we really need him back, whilst Lewis McGugan is probably the single-most important player at the football club. We could do with a win on Boxing Day, though given how bad Southampton are at the moment, a draw could very well see us out of the relegation zone. As things are, I'm certain that we'll just avoid relegation. Calderwood has money to spend and that could be the key factor as I doubt any of the likes of Charlton, Watford, Southampton and Doncaster have much of anything to improve their side with.

We're one of the youngest sides in the division at the moment with no-one over the age of 27 and an average age of 22. The ages by player are:

24, 19, 21, 24, 23, 20, 24, 20, 21, 20, 27.

Very young - need some h'experience.

And for Gawd's sake, Saj, change the title. Nott'm Forest would be acceptable! Here's Joe's goal too:

[UTUBE]WQ8hrrDkK8o[/UTUBE]

Last edited:
Not ten minutes ago, Calderwood was sacked as manager after the 4-2 loss at home to Doncaster.

Something had to be done, you cant go on claiming bad luck for ever. I really hope they don't choose Billy Davies who's name has been mentioned. I would personally go for Alan Curbishley, think he did very well at Charlton. He had them punching above their weight in the premiership. The result of his departure are there for all to see. Then after having swapped managers with West Ham, he kept them up as well. I think his record as a manager on a light budget is very good.

Who would you go for Taurus?

Last edited:
Roy Keane, another old boy and currently out of a job, would be another one.

Last edited:
I suppose it will be Billy Davies, though the likes of Ince, Keane, Curbishley and Co. - the Unemployed Crew, basically - shall all be mentioned at some point.

Stuart Pearce would be a nice name, so would Nigel Clough, but whether either would do the job is another matter. Personally, I think it's important to distinguish between a good manager and the right man for the job. Forest need to appoint a Forest man now, and that's where Clough would fit in.

The name that haunts him could prove too illustrious though. To be greeted on your first day of management by 'The Brian Clough Stand' - I just don't see it.

Why are they thinking of Billy Davies, one promotion season with the sheep, followed by a record breaking one in the Premiership (for all the wrong reasons), we can surely do better. The only thing going for Billy is that the last manager to come to Forest from Derby was none other than OBE (Ol Big Head) himself.

Under caretaker manager John Pemberton, they are 2-0 away to Norwich at half time, with Southampton drawing, if the results stay the same, will be out of the relegation zone.

Last edited:
Forest scored 5 goals in the end, only problem was 2 of them were own goals! Still a 3-2 victory along with Southampton's draw against Reading means Forest are outside the relegation zone on goal difference from Doncaster

Brian Laws is emerging as a strong contender for the job - he's supposedly the reason why Doughty hasn't simply appointed Billy Davies already. Little Clough has applied, but it's unclear where exactly he is in the reckoning. With interviews apparently set to be conducted in the next day or two, Nigel may have a chance to impress. But it seems as if Laws may be the one.

Terrible appointment IMO

I think you are definately going down Augustus.

Forest 2-0 up at half time away to Man City in the FA cup, Tyson and Earnshaw the scorers.

Double European champions

Congrats to the Forest fans on PP a great win for you lot.

I know there were some shocks, but for me this was the performance of the day.

What are the chances of it, Forest away to Derby in the 4th round in the FA cup. Billy Davies pits his wits against his old team

Forest 2-0 up away to charlton in Billy Davies's first match in charge. Being 2-0 up at half time seems to have become a nice habit, happened in 3 concecutive games now.

Any reason why a natural goalscorer like Earnie starts on the bench?

An interesting question, Oxy, especially considering Earnshaw started...

Taurus said:
An interesting question, Oxy, especially considering Earnshaw started...

Apologies - TalkSport said he was on the bench...

Nottingham Forest 2 - 0 Plymouth Argyle - Saturday 17th January 2009

Plymouth Argyle are awful. One cannot put into words their awfulness in order to sufficiently convey to another how hopelessly dreadfully awful they are. We overcame them with such comfort as to not even bother defending, though this did come to a point where Plymouth maybe thought about attacking and on one occasion they even came close to scoring! They might very easily have conceded four or five though, and Earnshaw and Anderson's goals put a fair reflection on the game in the end.

Lewis McGugan was different gravy - laughable rumours linking him with Derby and Cardiff are simply that - laughable rumours.

In fairness to Billy Davies, after initial disappointment at his appointment, those boys played well today and he certainly talks the talk.

Another win at home, this time 2-1 against Sheff Wed coming from behind. Forest have now on 3 out of 3 in the league since Billy Davies took charge and 5 out of 6 in total inc cup games since Calderwood left. Now 4 points clear of relegation though some teams below them have games in hand.

Oh and Derby are now in the relegation zone

Twice European champions

Nottingham Forest 2 - 1 Sheffield Wednesday

A terrible game of football, words simply cannot describe. As soon as I entered the ground (two minutes late) and saw the school children we had assembled, purporting as footballers, I feared the worst, and the worst seemed to have arrived when Sheffield Wednesday dominated the opening half an hour and took a deserved lead. Thankfully, the kinder managed to equalise very soon after with about our first attack of the game when Garath McCleary, a £20k signing from Bromley, managed to produce a moment of magic, skinning two Wednesday players and sending Tyson through with a perfectly weighted through ball. Tyson is in the best form of his life and made no mistake.

Francis Jeffers was sent off for a disgraceful tackle on youngster Joe Heath, whilst Lewis Buxton miraculously stayed on for an equally disgraceful tackle soon after. Wednesday dominated the game even with ten men, the youthful naivete showed, but we grabbed an undeserved winner as Wednesday went into their shell, trying to defend what they'd got, with Chambers nodding in an excellent McGugan free-kick. We were awful, the team we put out was awful, but we're the form team in the whole division and that, it seems, counts for a hell of a lot. An excellent win, Cardiff away next.

Without reinforcements between now and then it's a home banker, even considering that we're in excellent form and are 11 away matches unbeaten. Frankly, the team we put out last night would have struggled in League One. Not that there was no talent there, just a lot of inexperience and naivete. Consequently, too many passengers. We need full-backs and wingers.

A word for Arron Davies for the single worst individual performance I have witnessed in a very long time from a Forest player. One had to wonder, if he'd scored, whether they'd have marked the goalscorer down as Davies or Anonymous, such was his timidity and total lack of match presence throughout.

Last edited:
See you on Saturday.....

Gonna have to give Earnshaw some stick - I fear he might come back to haunt us....

Coventry away tonight!

Earnie's injured, went off last night with a hamstring problem and it seems unlikely that he'll play. It was his own fault really, terrible attempt at a challenge that went awry and left him sprawled on the ground. Joe Garner will probably replace him - he's a terrier, and like most opposition fans you'll absolutely hate him. Very, very talented player though.

Thats a shame - I would like to have given Earnie a nice ovation before kick off - and at the end - but not during!!!

Last edited:
If anyone wants to donate some players to our cause, I'm all for it. Any reasonable offers accepted. Nathan Tyson and Joe Garner added to the injury list today, meaning we have:

One Goalkeeper
No Full-Backs
Four Centre-Backs
No Wingers
Two Central Midfielders
Two 'odds and sods' midfielders
One attacking midfielder
No Strikers

Gutted that Forest lost in FA Cup. Was really hoping United played them for old time sake and always nice to play different opponents throughout season

We are ****, we have no players, we are going down. The club has decided, in all their wisdom, that we will make no signings (emergency loans) to compliment our current 'squad.' I use the word squad very lightly indeed. We have had to recall Emile Sinclair, who has scored one goal at Macclesfield, from his loan spell. This is a guy who was not good enough for League One, doesn't seem to offer anything in League Two, and was barely good enough for Mansfield at Conference level. If the odds are any good when I have a look tomorrow I'm putting a tenner on us going down - a win/win situation; if we get relegated I get some money, if we don't then it was worth a tenner.

I feel for Billy Davies - he has inherited an absolute disaster and is expected to haul it through to the end of the season. It's immense credit to him that we have ground out results in all of our games bar those away at two of the best teams in the division. But even he knows that the wheels are well and truly off and that without Anderson and Earnshaw we have absolutely nothing. He has had to play 5-3-2 the last three matches, with eleven Academy graduates in the matchday squad! UNACCEPTABLE!

Ipswich away on Wednesday and I would be very surprised if Forest's score is anything other than 0, nil, nada, **** all. Here's hoping Ipswich are as profligate.

Then it's the big one against Derby next Saturday. They say anything can happen on Derby day - well, it probably can, Derby can give us a tonking and beat us in the league at The City Ground for the first time in aeons!

Last edited:
I dont think you are going down - far worse sides in the Championship - although Donny's run has surprised me.

Just goes to show you cant predict anything in the game of football, after a poor run, 1 point from 5 games I believe, they go and win away at Reading who would have gone to within a point of the leaders had they won today. Now 3 points above relegation zone with 2 home games coming up.

Good win but everyone else won as well. Home to Preston on Tuesday, not really up for it, but the season ticket calls, of course. I can but hope for another three points. The return of Guy Moussi is a big boost, sounded like he dominated today. Moooooooooooossssssssseeeeeee!

The best striker in the league comes up with a couple last night to snatch another vital three points...

up to 18th now but it is a slightly false position as a few teams below them have games in hand. Home to Swansea on saturday. For reference, Leicester city went down with 52 points last season, Coventry just survived with 53.

Attachments

• championship2.jpg
    championship2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Forest have recently signed Gary McSheffrey from Birmingham and Isaiah Osbourne from Aston Villa on loan. A home win today against play off chasing Swansea would be very handy

Good game against Swansea yesterday. We should have beat them, we had more chances, more possession, better quality in attack. Typically, Martinez saw a different match but thankfully the statistics reflected our dominance even if the one thing that mattered does not. It's a decent enough point though, 7 from 9 against three of the better sides in the division. Watford away on Tuesday where a win would leave us with only a bit more work to do to stave off relegation.

I must say our midfield and strike-force at the minute are absolutely top-class, I think they'd out-do most teams in the division. Shame about the keeper and defenders...

-----------------Moussi----------------
---------Osbourne---Cohen------------
Anderson------------------McSheffrey
---------------------------------------
---------------Earnshaw---------------

With McGugan coming off the bench! Awesome. Shame that only three of them are ours by right.

Great result for Cardiif :)

Would have been nice if you could have beaten the Jacks, but we made 2 pts on them yesterday!

Taurus said:
Good game against Swansea yesterday. We should have beat them, we had more chances, more possession, better quality in attack. Typically, Martinez saw a different match but thankfully the statistics reflected our dominance even if the one thing that mattered does not. It's a decent enough point though, 7 from 9 against three of the better sides in the division. Watford away on Tuesday where a win would leave us with only a bit more work to do to stave off relegation.

I must say our midfield and strike-force at the minute are absolutely top-class, I think they'd out-do most teams in the division. Shame about the keeper and defenders...

With McGugan coming off the bench! Awesome. Shame that only three of them are ours by right.

Whats with teh big gap between midfield and your striker. Does your striker play so far up, you had to give an extra space to indicate that? :p

Forest have picked up recently

last 3 results
3-2 (H) vs Bristol City (after being behind twice, scored 2 goals in the last 10 mins to win)
0-0 (A) Sheff Utd
1-0 (H) Coventry

A win today away to Blackpool should secure another season in the championship, possibly even a point as Norwich have a difficult home game against Reading on monday.

Just finished Blackpool 1-1 Forest
If Norwich loose to Reading on monday, Forest are safe.

Norwich 0-2 Reading

Forest avoid relegation!

Some good news at last on this day.

Lets see what Billy Davies can do next season with a team he builds.

The last relegation spot all but decided, Norwich need to win the last game and hope Barnsley loose, otherwise Norwich are relegated.

Forest close to a playoff spot again lets hope they grab it just 6 games left

The sleeping giants Nottingham Forest are currently contesting the Championship play-off semi final.

They are 1-0 up in the first leg away to Sheffield United and looking superb.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Nottingham Forest clinched promotion to the Premier League for the first time in 23 years with a 1-0 win against Huddersfield in the Championship play-off final on Sunday<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NottinghamForest?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NottinghamForest</a><a href="https://t.co/Sj5LAXmD2K">https://t.co/Sj5LAXmD2K</a></p>— NDTV Sports (@Sports_NDTV) <a href="https://twitter.com/Sports_NDTV/status/1530966910023929857?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 29, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So an Ex European Champion is back in the league

Liverpool Utd Chelsea Aston Villa Forest the European Cup winners in England
Arsenal Leeds City Spurs the runner up:62:

So an Ex European Champion is back in the league

Liverpool Utd Chelsea Aston Villa Forest the European Cup winners in England
Arsenal Leeds City Spurs the runner up:62:

my home town is back in the premier league, they have no money - they will end last place just like norwich this yr, big beatings will occur

I've always felt Forrest are a club that woulf be appealing to investors.

They have an incredible history and catapulting them back into the big time would be a tantalising prospect.

Many of the “proper top division” sides are now back lining up in the Premier League at the same time after different periods of relegation befell them.

Nottingham Forest
Crystal Palace
Leeds United
Newcastle United
Aston Villa

Perhaps we could also get QPR, Sunderland, Blackburn Rovers, and even Sheffield Wednesday back some day? :)

<b>Nottingham Forest ended their 23-year wait for Premier League football with a narrow win over Huddersfield Town in the Championship play-off final at Wembley - a victory worth about £170m.</b>

Promotion back to the top flight caps a brilliant turnaround to their season, which had started with six defeats in seven.

Levi Colwill's own goal from James Garner's cross was the decisive moment.

Town improved after the break but struggled to create a big chance.

Their best opportunity saw Harry Toffolo booked for diving in the area by referee Jon Moss, officiating for the final time before retiring, and, although replays suggested Jack Colback had made some contact, it was not overturned by VAR.

Forest held out in the face of mounting pressure to spark scenes of jubilation and end their two-decade exile from the Premier League.

Steve Cooper has completely turned the club's fortunes around after taking over from the sacked Chris Hughton in September.

They were not at their best in their first appearance at Wembley in 30 years but the game's big moment went in their favour before the break.

The impressive James Garner, on loan from Manchester United, whipped in a dangerous ball from the inside left position and Town defender Colwill could only divert the ball past his goalkeeper Lee Nicholls under pressure from Ryan Yates.

The Terriers had more possession and carried more threat after half-time but could not force Brice Samba or his replacement Ethan Horvath into a save of note.

Forest's promotion in their first ever play-off final comes at the end of a season which started disastrously.

The two-time European Cup winners took one point from their first seven games - their worst start to a season in 108 years - and when Hughton was sacked in September it looked like the team was likely to spend the campaign battling against relegation.

However, Cooper, who had taken Swansea to the play-offs in his two seasons in south Wales, quickly turned the ship around and they eventually moved into the top six for the first time this season on 9 February.

There were also impressive home FA Cup wins over Arsenal and local rivals Leicester City before being narrowly beaten by eventual winners Liverpool in the quarter-finals, as the momentum around the team and city grew.

Like opposite number Carlos Corberan, Cooper has thrived off the back of good recruitment, including the season-long loan addition of Middlesbrough full-back Djed Spence and Manchester United midfielder Garner by his predecessor, and excellent coaching, with Wales forward Brennan Johnson enjoying a breakout campaign.

There was some disappointment though when their bid to take their fight for automatic promotion to the final day was ended by defeat at second-placed Bournemouth in their penultimate game of the season.

They regrouped and looked to be cruising to play-off semi-final victory over Sheffield United before conceding two second-half goals in the second leg at the City Ground to take the tie to penalties, where Samba saved three Blades spot-kicks to send them to Wembley.

It was by no means a vintage performance at the national stadium but they will not care, and start next season as a top-flight team for the first time this century.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61539298

I've always felt Forrest are a club that woulf be appealing to investors.

They have an incredible history and catapulting them back into the big time would be a tantalising prospect.

dont they already have a Greek sugar daddy

Back