[November 2012] Nasir Jamshed's link to alleged bookie was 'innocent'

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
PakPassion.net was today informed by the Pakistan Cricket Board that opening batsman Nasir Jamshed's links to the alleged bookie arrested in Bangladesh during the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) were purely "innocent".

Jamshed who represents National Bank and Lahore in domestic cricket scored a total of 193 runs in the recently concluded Asia Cup, including an excellent century against arch rivals India, has according to the PCB been cleared of any wrongdoing.

A PCB official informed PakPassion.net that Nasir's name being linked to the alleged bookie was not sinister and the Lahore born cricketer was in the clear.

The Bangladesh Cricket Board captured Karachi resident Sajid Khan during a match in the BPL and took him to the visiting Anti-Corruption and Security Unit official before handing him over to Mirpur police. BCB security chief Misbahuddin Serniabat had previously stated they had found the bank account details of Nasir Jamshed of Chittagong Kings and the e-mail address of Dhaka Gladiators’ Rana Naved-ul Hasan in the mobile phone of Sajid Khan.

Rana Naved speaking with PakPassion.net on 5th March denied having any links to Khan and stated "The authorities in Bangladesh spoke with me during the BPL about what had occurred and showed me a picture of the man they had arrested. I informed them that I recognised the man in the photograph having met him at a domestic match in Karachi last year. That day after the domestic match in Pakistan he had approached me along with many other individuals as a fan. After that day I never saw him again or heard from him at all. I provided the Bangladeshi authorities with the information they needed from me and as far as I am concerned there is nothing more to it. I have no idea how he obtained my email address.”

An ACSU official and an ICC match referee came to the Chittagong King's team hotel after the arrest of the alleged bookie and quizzed Jamshed, but PakPassion.net understands that the matter is now closed. According to the PCB official, the alleged bookie's link to Jamshed was an innocent one and as a result the left handed batsmen was subsequently selected for the recently concluded Asia Cup.

The PCB official further added that all players had to abide by the player's code of conduct and the monitoring of all players is a continuing process.

Last edited:
good news. hope he can really cement his place now and become a vital part of our team.

Boy is averaging 39 after 17 games. hope he just improves from here. Strike Rate is around 100 too.

As expected. Very, very sad that some people here were labelling him as a fixer, etc.

So he has a history of links to bookies it seems... Although this one was innocent. Or so we are told...

This incident should be re-examined and a thorough investigation carried out.

This incident should be re-examined and a thorough investigation carried out.

Or maybe question marks should be raised as to why did the previous PCB leadership not investigate the matter thoroughly? Why was Nasir Jamshaid's selection in the national team not suspended pending a detailed further investigation into the matter?

Zaka Ashraf was the previous PCB Chairman, enough said.

Or maybe question marks should be raised as to why did the previous PCB leadership not investigate the matter thoroughly? Why was Nasir Jamshaid's selection in the national team not suspended pending a detailed further investigation into the matter?

Zaka Ashraf was the previous PCB Chairman, enough said.

Fair point and begs the question what else has been brushed under the carpet.

The bookie had Jamshed’s bank details in his phone yet the authorities decided there was ‘nothing to see here so move along now’. Bizarre.

The bookie had Jamshed’s bank details in his phone yet the authorities decided there was ‘nothing to see here so move along now’. Bizarre.

Jamshaid was a hot prospect back then and was in hot form. I won't be surprised if the PCB decided to protect their asset at the time and brushed this under the carpet.

And after 6 years, he was proven to be guilty.

If Zaka Ashraf had conducted a proper job, we could had saved alot of corruption from taking place.

Jamsheds name frsit came up in 2012 with BPL, and this was brushed under the carpet.

Now it really makes you question of other players who ahd their name linked to fixing but got waaydue to lack of proof.

Back