"Now ICC will rethink on keeping India and Pakistan in a group and ensure they don't keep a team that beats them”: Virender Sehwag

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
While speaking to a sports media outlet, Virender Sehwag had a message for ICC as he spoke about Pakistan's early exit in the T20 World Cup this year:

“How can you blame rain? Even if you had won, you didn't deserve to go ahead. You would've lost in Super Eight stage. You wouldn't have had easier opponents there. You need to realise that you are losing to first-timers, you don't deserve to go ahead. You can't chase 120 runs against India, score 113 with wickets remaining... how can you blame the rain?”

“In 2007, neither India nor Pakistan qualified for the second round. We were in different groups back then. Now, ICC will rethink on keeping India and Pakistan in a group and ensure they don't keep a team that beats them!”

NZ/WI/Afghanistan - Real group of death
SA/BD/SL - second toughest group
OZ/Sco/Eng - Third toughest group
India/Pakistan/Ireland - Fourth toughest group

This is so unfair to other teams especially SENA teams like AUs,Eng,NZ. Basically, the matches are scheduled to ensure Ind/Pak don't get knocked out before semifinals atleast and still we Indians bottle in knockouts. NZ didn't deserved to go home early. They would have qualified if they were in our group. I believe NZ would have beaten both Ind and Pak.

This is so unfair to other teams especially SENA teams like AUs,Eng,NZ. Basically, the matches are scheduled to ensure Ind/Pak don't get knocked out before semifinals atleast and still we Indians bottle in knockouts. NZ didn't deserved to go home early. They would have qualified if they were in our group. I believe NZ would have beaten both Ind and Pak.
India rarely loses to any lesser ranked side. They have one of the best W/L ratio against Afghanistan/Bangladesh/Ireland .

Screenshot-2024-06-17-081621.jpg

Just put Pakistan and India in 1 special group (2 teams). So, 2 out of 2 would qualify. LOL.

I don't understand why ICC always put Pakistan and India in one group and Bangladesh and Sri Lanka in another group. It makes a mockery. These draws should be random.

Does FIFA put Argentina and Brazil in same group? They don't. ICC is a joke.

It's a mockery. Just make it based rankings 6 months before tournament.

Only thing for world cups Only they could keep the 2 day gap between forst round and second round to play washed-out games.

Pre seeding is the only thing that i don't like. It is a flaky format where teams test their bench strength in bilatera.s You cannot pre seed for 2nd round

1718681295372.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Only thing for world cups Only they could keep the 2 day gap between forst round and second round to play washed-out games.
yes, but it is not a silver bullet too. If those two reserve days get washed out, what is the alternative? Super over or bowl out is also a lottery. Sharing points is more justifiable solution to the teams than a super over for example.

yes, but it is not a silver bullet too. If those two reserve days get washed out, what is the alternative? Super over or bowl out is also a lottery. Sharing points is more justifiable solution to the teams than a super over for example.
Super over is an integral part of T20I. You can't take that away. India played 2 super overs against Afgahnistan to settle the result even in a bilateral. Only in ODI they are using it selectively since 50 over game reduced to 1 over can become a lottery. But T20 itself is short. So super over makes sense.

ICC will always keep India & Pakistan in the same group. They learned their lesson in 2007.

An ICC tournament without an India vs Pakistan match is a financial & commercial disaster.
Come on Mamoon!! As a die hard Indian fan you cannot digest any loss of India from Pakistan, Any team can defeat the opposition otherwise results should declared based on strength rather then on field performance. Even Zimbabwe defeated Mighty Australia and India previously.

Basically you have to beat your "rival" team to progress more into the tournament. Beating your "rival" in the group stage changes the momentum of the team. In 2021, Pak "blew" away India in group stage, and they almost were unstoppable after that.

Super over is an integral part of T20I. You can't take that away. India played 2 super overs against Afgahnistan to settle the result even in a bilateral. Only in ODI they are using it selectively since 50 over game reduced to 1 over can become a lottery. But T20 itself is short. So super over makes sense.
In a playoff game, a super over or any other form of deciding a winner makes sense. But in a league game or in bi-laterals, I don't understand why we need it. You don't need a winner in those games. Sharing the points or calling the game a tie/draw/no-result does justice to both the teams.

In a playoff game, a super over or any other form of deciding a winner makes sense. But in a league game or in bi-laterals, I don't understand why we need it. You don't need a winner in those games. Sharing the points or calling the game a tie/draw/no-result does justice to both the teams.
When it is an integral part of the format you can't take it out. The format itself is a joke format. It is mainly for entertainment. Super over merely enhances the entertainment. It is not gong away. What is the purpose of having "tie" in a T20 format. It is absurd.

Basically you have to beat your "rival" team to progress more into the tournament. Beating your "rival" in the group stage changes the momentum of the team. In 2021, Pak "blew" away India in group stage, and they almost were unstoppable after that.
lol In 2007 India beat Pak but both rched finals.

in 2022 India beat Pak, Pak reached finals

I can keep going..

I think it d be better if they plan on having a knockout match between these two teams.

Give us england and nz and sa we ll have higher chance of reaching next stage than with ind sl afg.

I think it d be better if they plan on having a knockout match between these two teams.

Give us england and nz and sa we ll have higher chance of reaching next stage than with ind sl afg.
Knockout match may or may not happen. If they fail in the first round they won't meet at all.

lol In 2007 India beat Pak but both rched finals.

in 2022 India beat Pak, Pak reached finals

I can keep going..
Your government is beyond stupid.

You'd utterly destroyed H2H in ODIs and Tests against us in the last 9 years had you played us and utterly hammered home the dominance for decades to come. You're missing a golden chance. I'd give away the bank if the roles were reversed to hammer India home and away in all 3 formats and would curse my board for not letting that happen. We'd never ever get rid of the mental block and humiliations doled out to us.

Your government is beyond stupid.

You'd utterly destroyed H2H in ODIs and Tests against us in the last 9 years had you played us and utterly hammered home the dominance for decades to come. You're missing a golden chance. I'd give away the bank if the roles were reversed to hammer India home and away in all 3 formats and would curse my board for not letting that happen. We'd never ever get rid of the mental block and humiliations doled out to us.
True , my only assumption is they don’t want to make PCB profitable.

This was the easiest group

USA and Canada are currently on par with Scotland, if not better

I actually agree with this guy for once, it’s such a one sided match in India’s favour they’re as probably fed up of beating us with no competition as we are fed up with always loosing to them

True , my only assumption is they don’t want to make PCB profitable.
How would that benefit us? We already earn the most after the Big 3, to the tune of $100 million, what potential earth shattering accomplishments do you see us doing with more money? Glory to India means less to BJP than harming Pakistan.

How would that benefit us? We already earn the most after the Big 3, to the tune of $100 million, what potential earth shattering accomplishments do you see us doing with more money? Glory to India means less to BJP than harming Pakistan.
PCB will easily make a lot more money from a series with India, why do you think ICT keeps getting invites from SA, Aus , Eng.

Truth is PCT is not as great product as it was, we can improve our West Indies record as well, but what point does it make. Sachin after Lara’s retirement didn’t even travel there because it didn’t matter(Sachin has no series wins in WI).

At end of the day PCT is a good LOI team but head to head only proper cricket fans know, others r ok with Asia cup and the n number of ICC tournaments that keep happening and ICT and PCT keep getting clubbed into.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on Mamoon!! As a die hard Indian fan you cannot digest any loss of India from Pakistan, Any team can defeat the opposition otherwise results should declared based on strength rather then on field performance. Even Zimbabwe defeated Mighty Australia and India previously.
Did you even read what I said? Your reply has nothing to do with my post.

I think ICC missed a trick here. They should've kept Uganda and PNG in Pakistan's group. USA while a minnow on paper is a team composed of Pakistani/Indian/WI/NZ ex-players so they are not exactly dumb players and most of them have played first-class cricket.

I kind of agree with Sehwag but let's not get ahead of ourselves. To be honest, India needs to do some soul-searching too. In the past 3 T20 World Cups Pakistan has defeated India comprehensively and lost 2 by slender margins, only due to their choking otherwise there was no business to lose the last 2 games. India could've lost 3 in a row to Pakistan. India has been very poor in T20's in recent times against Pakistan but has managed to win because they handle crunch situations better. It's similar to how Pakistan used to win all the crunch moments against Afghanistan but then the margins crept up and Pakistan ultimately folded.

Pakistan and India should always be in the same group.

The odds of India meeting Pakistan in Quarters or Semis is extremely negligible as Pakistan may not make it past the 1st round.

I think ICC missed a trick here. They should've kept Uganda and PNG in Pakistan's group. USA while a minnow on paper is a team composed of Pakistani/Indian/WI/NZ ex-players so they are not exactly dumb players and most of them have played first-class cricket.

I kind of agree with Sehwag but let's not get ahead of ourselves. To be honest, India needs to do some soul-searching too. In the past 3 T20 World Cups Pakistan has defeated India comprehensively and lost 2 by slender margins, only due to their choking otherwise there was no business to lose the last 2 games. India could've lost 3 in a row to Pakistan. India has been very poor in T20's in recent times against Pakistan but has managed to win because they handle crunch situations better. It's similar to how Pakistan used to win all the crunch moments against Afghanistan but then the margins crept up and Pakistan ultimately folded.
Current Indian T20 is not a good T20 side. I never expect India to win a world T20 in a while until they change the composition. That's okay. India can come up with another team that can beat the current Indian team. So India just has to get the mix up right. India hasn't played a proper leg spinner in world T20 in ages. Last time India had a leggie was in 2014. Amit Mishra. Never played Chahal or Kuldeep. Even in the first round they used two finger spinners. Once they get a wristie they will look better.

Umm no, nz, wi and Afghanistan was the easiest group, Uganda and PNG are easy peasy wins.

And nz is out of it. Wi and Afghanistan were guaranteed.

Sehwag is just saying irrelevant stuff. ICC will never think about such things.

India and Pakistan will end in the same group more often. There is no doubt about it. Sehwag is not thinking about what he is saying, just spitting random things that make no sense.

ICC Group fixing will never end

it's their bread and butter for $$$$$$$$

Among the associates in current form Scotland looked the best. Ireland has regressed badly in this format.
Canada is not better than Scotland. Scotland just gave Aussies a tough fight.
Giving a fight doesn't equate to winning. Even Nepal put up a brave fight against South Africa. Canada had previously bested Scotland in two ODIs in the UAE earlier this year, and they also defeated the hosts on both occasions in the same tournament. Canada was considered the weakest team in Group A. While Group B also featured Namibia and Oman, both of which were weaker than any team from Group A.

Agree with Sehwag. Them forcing india and Pakistan games down everyone’s throats is annoying. Every tournament, both have to be in the same group. What a desperate cash grab from beggar ICC.

Let it be random. Let them meet organically in QFs and Semis from time to time like 96, 2011.

Agree with Sehwag. Them forcing india and Pakistan games down everyone’s throats is annoying. Every tournament, both have to be in the same group. What a desperate cash grab from beggar ICC.

Let it be random. Let them meet organically in QFs and Semis from time to time like 96, 2011.
India has enough clout to convince the ICC to do this? They can at the very least do it for their jawaans that they skip bilaterals for.

Sehwag should lobby the BCCI to extend their principles to group stage cricket.

Usa as a team has better players than other nations. They have players from pak and ind under 19 and an ex intl player. Whatever u say an u19 player in india playing at highest level will be ahead of non cricket nations new talent. They way monank and saurab played they showed alot of maturity as a cricketer.

India has enough clout to convince the ICC to do this? They can at the very least do it for their jawaans that they skip bilaterals for.

Sehwag should lobby the BCCI to extend their principles to group stage cricket.
Virender “Twitter Fingers” Sehwag is only good for talk. Only good at stirring controversy.

PCB will easily make a lot more money from a series with India, why do you think ICT keeps getting invites from SA, Aus , Eng.

Truth is PCT is not as great product as it was, we can improve our West Indies record as well, but what point does it make. Sachin after Lara’s retirement didn’t even travel there because it didn’t matter(Sachin has no series wins in WI).

At end of the day PCT is a good LOI team but head to head only proper cricket fans know, others r ok with Asia cup and the n number of ICC tournaments that keep happening and ICT and PCT keep getting clubbed into.

You've spent enough time on a Pakistani website to know how our country is run. And to know if India was touring all the extra money would have been swallowed by the....'patrons', appointed by criminals running the country.

Secondly, you can't compare WI to Pakistan at all. When I watch Pakistan's international games I watch them on Hindi channels, as reasonable commentators and every single ad, logo is about India-Pakistan. Our fans remember the Sahara cup results from decades ago never mind anything else. I mean this isn't even a debate. The bilateral humiliations India would have doled out to us regularly, I'd give BCCI unlimited money if Pakistan could beat India the same. India has missed that chance.

Anyway its a moot point.

India vs Pakistan match has no more attractions to neutrals like me. And i believe it hasn't either among Indians and Pakistanis any more. India is too much dominating sode than Pakistan to call it as a rivalry.

That last match was close only because of that kind of under prepared pitch which can reduce the gap in the strength of two sides drastically. Play on sporting wicket,India will thrash Pakistan 9 out of 10 times

Giving a fight doesn't equate to winning. Even Nepal put up a brave fight against South Africa. Canada had previously bested Scotland in two ODIs in the UAE earlier this year, and they also defeated the hosts on both occasions in the same tournament. Canada was considered the weakest team in Group A. While Group B also featured Namibia and Oman, both of which were weaker than any team from Group A.

Check ranking of Canada. Check ranking of Scotland. Canada is not even among top 5 associates.

One or two fluke win can happen. Anyway, we are going off-topic. Let's stick to topic.

You've spent enough time on a Pakistani website to know how our country is run. And to know if India was touring all the extra money would have been swallowed by the....'patrons', appointed by criminals running the country.

Secondly, you can't compare WI to Pakistan at all. When I watch Pakistan's international games I watch them on Hindi channels, as reasonable commentators and every single ad, logo is about India-Pakistan. Our fans remember the Sahara cup results from decades ago never mind anything else. I mean this isn't even a debate. The bilateral humiliations India would have doled out to us regularly, I'd give BCCI unlimited money if Pakistan could beat India the same. India has missed that chance.

Anyway its a moot point.
While true you never know, everyone thought Aane do we will win and out of nowhere Naser Jamshed came out.

So maybe it won’t be that easy as we think, Pak India series always brought in new heroes.(This makes my point about PCT not being a great product moot).

Check ranking of Canada. Check ranking of Scotland. Canada is not even among top 5 associates.

One or two fluke win can happen. Anyway, we are going off-topic. Let's stick to topic.
Rankings are calculated for a period of three years. Both the USA and Canada have included new players into their teams. Those victories scored by Canada were not just flukes, they won four consecutive matches. Our current discussions is relevant to the topic at hand. I firmly believe that Pakistan would have had a better opportunity against either Namibia or Oman, even if we consider Scotland as superior to both North American teams.

Back