OffSpin?

Mussawar

Debutant
Runs
Hello everyone,
Ive been opening the Batting for my team for quite some time now and since we are missing one real offspinner they want me to take over that job.

Does anyone have any kind of random tips? Like whatever comes into your mind about Offspin just write it down would be really nice so that i would know what things ive to work on etc.

Thanks in advance

Mussawar :ajmal

I'm an off-spinner myself.

Are you already able to bowl spin and is that why they have requested you to take up the full-time responsibility?

yupp. Well ive be bowling offspin in tape ball cricket. lets put it that way haha havent bowled in the nets seriously so far...

yupp. Well ive be bowling offspin in tape ball cricket. lets put it that way haha havent bowled in the nets seriously so far...

That is understandable then. At first, it seemed that your team wanted you to take off-spin without having any prior knowledge of bowling it. :)

The only way in which I learnt to ball off-spin (albeit with an action very different to the orthodox one) was via tape-ball cricket, so I can contemplate what you are asking.

How good an off-spinner are you in tape-ball cricket? And was it your role going to be in terms of hard-ball cricket - being economical or a truly wicket-taking option?

You will need a lot of practice with hardball and it will take a while for your fingers to adjust.

First thing I would say is practice and practice and than practice some more.

That is understandable then. At first, it seemed that your team wanted you to take off-spin without having any prior knowledge of bowling it. :)

The only way in which I learnt to ball off-spin (albeit with an action very different to the orthodox one) was via tape-ball cricket, so I can contemplate what you are asking.

How good an off-spinner are you in tape-ball cricket? And was it your role going to be in terms of hard-ball cricket - being economical or a truly wicket-taking option?
To be honest I was just okay as a tap ball off-spinner

We truly need a spinner who has the ability to stop giving away runs. Our leg spinner is quite expensive but always takes enough wickets so I would be the one stopping the score from the other hand

Last edited:
Im a leg spinner, some times some of my balls come out of front of the hand and with a little adjustment i turn it into an off cutter. It was the easiest delivery to practice for me, i never really practiced, i just did it lol. But you need an armball or a doosra, sooner or batsmen will get used to it.

What is the difference between leg spin bowler and off spin bowler?

A leg spin bowler uses their wrist to impart spin. This type of spin will turn from right to left.

Whereas an off-spinner, uses their fingers to impart spin on the ball. The ball will turn from right to left for this kind of bowling.

Hello everyone,
Ive been opening the Batting for my team for quite some time now and since we are missing one real offspinner they want me to take over that job.

Does anyone have any kind of random tips? Like whatever comes into your mind about Offspin just write it down would be really nice so that i would know what things ive to work on etc.

Thanks in advance

Mussawar :ajmal

used to be an offspinner during my pro days.

Lesson 1) never ever try learning the doosra till you have perfected the art of offspin itself.

Lesson 2) even when you sitting at home keep spinning the ball in your hands. Trust me it sounds very simple but a basic rule to get bigger breaks.

Lesson 3) always make sure your palm is facing the batsmen when delivering the ball. More chances of getting bigger turn.

Lesson 4 ) once you have mastered 2 and 3 and getting big turns, then only your arm ball will be effective. That is very easy: Instead of your palm facing towards the batsmen it should be facing towards cover at the time of delivery. Thats your arm ball

Lesson 5) when you bowling in powerplays, or you sense that the batsmen will try and hit you. Then you apply this: First 5 balls keep the midwicket deep at the line. 6th ball bring your midwicket up in the circle and fire a quicker one in. 70% chance he will go for the midwicket heave and you getting him LBW.

Lesson 6) There are 4 different grips of bowling a normal off spin :) once you get all above mastered, then that starts :)

If you wanna measure how many revs you get on the ball. Pretty simple (Lesson 2: just tie a thread to the ball and spin it, then count how many turns the thread has had :)) keep a long thread I'd say

The more revs the bigger break :)

We truly need a spinner who has the ability to stop giving away runs. Our leg spinner is quite expensive but always takes enough wickets so I would be the one stopping the score from the other hand

depends if its a 50 over game? a 2 day game? a T20 game?

if 50 overs and you bowling middle overs, keep deep cover, deep long on, deep midwicket and deep square leg.

Bowl off to leg from over the wicket dont flight too much so he cant hit you over mid off, keep a short midwicket despite even if u have a deep mid wicket. place him between long on and deep mid wicket

As such, I'm not sure whether I could offer much help.

This is because although I'm an economical off-spinner, this stems from the copious amounts of turn I can acquire and thus the fact that I'm a genuine wicket-taker.

Besides, whilst I am economical, it is not through any particularly innovative techniques but rather due to the conventional emphasis upon flight and turn - despite having a quite unorthodox action.

@kamz

What kind of off-spinner were you - an attacking or a defensive one?

the kind that is given the ball within the first 10 overs and keeps on going for a 25 over spell, regardless what happens

Joys of being a pro.

Wish I was a defensive off spinner :) life would have been so easy :)

the kind that is given the ball within the first 10 overs and keeps on going for a 25 over spell, regardless what happens

Joys of being a pro.

haha great stuff

Joys of being a pro.

I'd love to play such a focal role as an off-spinner as you seem to have done - I love bowling and deceiving the batsman!

Sadly though at the U-17 level I'm confined to bowling a mere 4 overs - which for the past two seasons I've not been receiving in any stretch of the imagination due to the annoying captain I had to play under.

I'm not a true Pakistani one could probably therefore state - one who is desperate to bat like Afridi, although I can do that too.

By the way, what do you mean by pro - county cricket?

Last edited:
I'd love to play such a focal role as an off-spinner as you seem to have done - I love bowling and deceiving the batsman!

Sadly though at the U-17 level I'm confined to bowling a mere 4 overs - which for the past two seasons I've not been receiving in any stretch of the imagination due to the annoying captain I had to play under.

I'm not a true Pakistani one could probably therefore state - one who is desperate to bat like Afridi, although I can do that too.

By the way, what do you mean by pro - county cricket?

contact saqlain bhai, I can put you in touch with him if you are based in midlands. Always have a good teacher, so you can learn

Plus it depends which league and which level you are playing in to get a better exposure.

and yes to your answer - minor counties division

Back