On This Day: December 8, 1987 - The Mike Gatting & Shakoor Rana boil-over [VIDEO]

CricketCrowd.com

Local Club Captain
Runs
<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x7esk1" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting to read about what happened. Cannot believe that a player and the umpire can fight like this on a cricket field.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OnThisDay?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#OnThisDay</a> 1987. In Faisalabad, Mike Gatting and Shakoor Rana had one of cricket's biggest rows <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/R1oG1aTcWB">pic.twitter.com/R1oG1aTcWB</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/939040981768396800?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 8, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The uncouth behaviour of Mike Gatting aside, the quality of cricket in the video looks deplorably poor. Bowling run up, action, the intensity at which the spinners are releasing the ball and the pace at which they are bowling.

In addition, the batting looks very amateurish as well. Still, we are lead to believe that the modern cricket is no match for the quality and standards of the 80's.

Those were some shocking decisions and I think the English players were right to be miffed about it, but the way Mike Gatting went about his business was unacceptable.

Pakistan vs England has hardly ever been without controversy - an underrated rivalrly in my opinion.

Thirty years ago, my word! I was doing my Masters degree. I mentioned it to an Indian girl on the course. She praised Gatt for his stand.

My feeling, looking back, is that he was temperamentally and educationally unsuited to be skipper. He got set up by the PCB after the row between them and the TCCB when the latter high-handedly picked Umpire David Constant.

Sadly Gatt did not understand the political game being played around him, blew his top and the best England batter of the middle eighties ruined his test career.

Intresting what that incident would have been like if they had DRS back in then :)))

Thirty years ago, my word! I was doing my Masters degree. I mentioned it to an Indian girl on the course. She praised Gatt for his stand.

My feeling, looking back, is that he was temperamentally and educationally unsuited to be skipper. He got set up by the PCB after the row between them and the TCCB when the latter high-handedly picked Umpire David Constant.

Sadly Gatt did not understand the political game being played around him, blew his top and the best England batter of the middle eighties ruined his test career.

Which match/series are you referring to where the TCCB picked David Constant? Was it something political or just a case of *** for tat between the boards?

Looking back it is embarrassing to see an umpire and a captain behaving like this on the cricket field.

The uncouth behaviour of Mike Gatting aside, the quality of cricket in the video looks deplorably poor. Bowling run up, action, the intensity at which the spinners are releasing the ball and the pace at which they are bowling.

In addition, the batting looks very amateurish as well. Still, we are lead to believe that the modern cricket is no match for the quality and standards of the 80's.

Those were some shocking decisions and I think the English players were right to be miffed about it, but the way Mike Gatting went about his business was unacceptable.

Pakistan vs England has hardly ever been without controversy - an underrated rivalrly in my opinion.

Gatting looked like a tool.

Agreed that batting and bowling looked very amateurish. May be if the video had Wasim/Waqar/Imran bowling, it would have been more interesting. But that spin attack and the batting from England looked terrible.

Gatting looked like a tool.

Agreed that batting and bowling looked very amateurish. May be if the video had Wasim/Waqar/Imran bowling, it would have been more interesting. But that spin attack and the batting from England looked terrible.

The video has Abdul Qadir, supposedly one of the greatest leg-spinners ever, at a prime age of 32-33....

In this video, he has been reduced to the level of a part-timer who throws down a few overs every now and then, ala Warner, Azhar Ali etc.

Which match/series are you referring to where the TCCB picked David Constant? Was it something political or just a case of *** for tat between the boards?

Looking back it is embarrassing to see an umpire and a captain behaving like this on the cricket field.

It goes back to the 1982 domestic series, I think. India and Pakistan both played three tests in England. Both complained to the TCCB about Umpire Constant whom they said was not even-handed and had given preference to England in various lbw shouts.

When Pakistan returned in 1987, they asked the TCCB not to put Constant in the international matches but this request was refused. The PCB and skipper Imran found this high-handed and imperialistic. The series was not played in good humour. There was crowd trouble, pitch invasions and one fan was stabbed. At the end of the series I recall the Pakistan manager - name of Haseeb Assan?? - making dark comments about “using our own umpires” in the return series.

So the PCB picked Shakeel Khan, who should not have been umpiring a club match, and Shakoor Rana who was highly officious. A number of truly bad decisions were taken, most (though not all) against England. Broad refused to walk when given out lbw. Someone else was given out caught after the ball beat the edge by six inches. Things deteriorated and eventually Gatting blew up after another officious decision from Shakoor.

I think the PCB wanted to teach the TCCB a lesson and Gatting was not smart enough to realise he was being deliberately provoked.

Last edited:
It goes back to the 1982 domestic series, I think. India and Pakistan both played three tests in England. Both complained to the TCCB about Umpire Constant whom they said was not even-handed and had given preference to England in various lbw shouts.

When Pakistan returned in 1987, they asked the TCCB not to put Constant in the international matches but this request was refused. The PCB and skipper Imran found this high-handed and imperialistic. The series was not played in good humour. There was crowd trouble, pitch invasions and one fan was stabbed. At the end of the series I recall the Pakistan manager - name of Haseeb Assan?? - making dark comments about “using our own umpires” in the return series.

So the PCB picked Shakeel Khan, who should not have been umpiring a club match, and Shakoor Rana who was highly officious. A number of truly bad decisions were taken, most (though not all) against England. Broad refused to walk when given out lbw. Someone else was given out caught after the ball beat the edge by six inches. Things deteriorated and eventually Gatting blew up after another officious decision from Shakoor.

I think the PCB wanted to teach the TCCB a lesson and Gatting was not smart enough to realise he was being deliberately provoked.

Agree the umpiring was horrendous in that series. However in this case, Gatting was warned 2 times prior of not changing field settings once the bowler had started his delivery stride. But he did it again, at which Shakoor Rana declared it a no-ball and Gatting blew his top and poked his finger at the umpire. He should have been banned for a few games for that in my opinion.
I still remember Chris Broad, standing his ground like a petulant child when he was given LBW. Gower had to nudge him to go. Keep in mind we had received horrendous decisions from Constance, Roy/Ken Palmer and Mervyn Kitchen (in the 92 series). Kitchen threw Aaqib Javed's sweater at him at the end of the over.
These guys were plain racist bigots. Keep in mind it was Imran Khan's idea to have neutral umpires in all test matches because of crap like this.

Umpires like Shakoor Rana are the reason why teams despised coming to Pakistan.Umpiring was downright filthy, substandard and very biased those days in Pakistan.

It is to his credit Imran Khan started Neutral umpiring.

Your views on Pakistan winning percentage decreasing during neutral umpiring days.

Umpires like Shakoor Rana are the reason why teams despised coming to Pakistan.Umpiring was downright filthy, substandard and very biased those days in Pakistan.

It is to his credit Imran Khan started Neutral umpiring.

Your views on Pakistan winning percentage decreasing during neutral umpiring days.

It was same for us visiting England Or West Indies. The joke was you were playing against a team of 13 players.
On the flip side, they used to say Miandad would never be given out LBW in Pakistan. And stats somewhat prove that his LBW ratio outside Pakistan is higher.

Agree. Pakistan vs England is the best test series for Pakistan. Especially since India don't play us anymore.

Makes for an entertaining view. Of course there were no punches being thrown so a bit of frustration is always welcome to show the players are human.

David Constant wasn't liked by Indian team by either. He cost us win at Oval 79 test by dubious decisions. He turned Win into draw.

The umpiring decisions on the vid looked atrocious No wonder gatting blew his top

I still remember Chris Broad, standing his ground like a petulant child when he was given LBW. Gower had to nudge him to go.

It was Gooch in fact. Gower wasn’t on the tour. He had taken the winter off. A good move as it turned out!

Abdul Qadir also refused to walk in that series, having been given out bat before wicket or somesuch nonsense.

On some of the LBW decisions the umpire’s finger is shooting up after the ball has hit the pad but before the team has even appealed - LOL.

Although Gatting was in the wrong for the way he went about his business, fair play to him for standing up to such abysmal and biased “homer” umpiring.

It’s also no wonder that Abdul Qadir had such a low bowling average at home (22 was it?) compared to his away bowling average of nearly 50.

On some of the LBW decisions the umpire’s finger is shooting up after the ball has hit the pad but before the team has even appealed - LOL.

Although Gatting was in the wrong for the way he went about his business, fair play to him for standing up to such abysmal and biased “homer” umpiring.

It’s also no wonder that Abdul Qadir had such a low bowling average at home (22 was it?) compared to his away bowling average of nearly 50.

What Gatt should have done was gritted his teeth, got on with the cricket and lodged a complaint with the ICC at the end of the series.

Interestingly the TCCB gave each touring player a “hardship bonus” when they got home, as if to say “we are sorry you were put through that, now keep quiet to the press about it”.

It was Gooch in fact. Gower wasn’t on the tour. He had taken the winter off. A good move as it turned out!

Abdul Qadir also refused to walk in that series, having been given out bat before wicket or somesuch nonsense.

It could have been Gooch. I do not recall Abdul Qadir incident.
I also remember Aamir Malik nicking the ball, and not being given out even though the deviation was visible. He still couldn't get to his hundred.

The point I was making, that Pakistan has been at the receiving end of similar if not more atrocious decision courtesy Ken/Roy Palmer, Merv Kitchen et al.
West Indies umpires were also abysmal.

But in this instance, Shakoor Rana was right (like it or not).

It could have been Gooch. I do not recall Abdul Qadir incident.
I also remember Aamir Malik nicking the ball, and not being given out even though the deviation was visible. He still couldn't get to his hundred.

The point I was making, that Pakistan has been at the receiving end of similar if not more atrocious decision courtesy Ken/Roy Palmer, Merv Kitchen et al.
West Indies umpires were also abysmal.

But in this instance, Shakoor Rana was right (like it or not).

It was Gooch, and the Qadir incident was in the third test.

At least we got neutral umps out of it.

Another day of infamy for cricket but did it change anything?

I am glad we no longer have umpires like Shakoor Rana.He was a disgrace to umpiring profession.

Wonder what the ICC would have done if this happened today?

Back